We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
weewooweewoo's comments
weewooweewoo  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone using the Brave browser?

I downloaded it day 1, I just don't use it out of habit. I think I have a problem. Blisk, Brave, Yandex, Midori, Ice Weasel, Opera, Opera Neon, Firefox, Chrome, Chronium, Chronium Canary, Vivaldi are all I have installed. I pretty much just use Google Chrome. Hotkey "Windows + 1"

Opera Neon is the only other browser I use than chrome, because it's sexy enough to give me pause and think about the fact that I am going to use the Internet. Also, it's really fun blowing up your recent links with it. I'm like the kind of person who likes cars because of their color.

weewooweewoo  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 19, 2017

I feel consistently on the verge of collapse. I think trying to deal with feeling is probably what my definition of adulthood is for awhile.

On my head is the relationship between my ADHD and depression- at least, I'm beginning to realize that there is a relationship between my careless moments of ADHD causing a lot of anxiety and the ensuing depression caused by the looming inevitability of fuck ups.

Does anyone want to hear my epic fail of a virginity story? I told it at a storytelling show:

I have complex thoughts about how I feel about how it went. The problem is that I was invited to tell this story after the producers heard the one time I told it amazingly, with a highly reactive crowd. This crowd was so lukewarm in comparison. The idealized version in my head will always have precedence, I guess.

weewooweewoo  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Best & Worst Laptop Brands 2017: Apple drops

Thinkpad Yoga 15 in da house. But I'm pretty much stuck in the Thinkpad ecosystem because I'm so dependent on the trackpoint for the mouse cursor. I even have a two hand system when I use a mouse where I use my left pointer finger for fine movements, and its been bugging me lately because I haven't been able to pinpoint when I started doing this.

weewooweewoo  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Burger King TV Ad Asks, Hoping Google Home Devices Answer

I gotta admit, I love shit like this. At least the first time.

weewooweewoo  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 5, 2017

I'm more comfortable with strangers than the people I actually know? I guess I wasn't clear with that. I've been told (by someone who was tripping balls on ecstasy, so you know its true) that I'm either at a 1 or 11 on the social interaction scale. I'm working on it.

weewooweewoo  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: An idea from my past that was passed on -- Still a brilliant idea IMO.

I feel like this idea is a lot more relevant now than ever. I wonder if there's a way to make it go viral, a la McDonald's schezwan sauce. One thing I do wonder- what is the lowest viable spending amount for the card?

I usually don't participate in these pubskis, and I've been mulling over why today. It occurred to me that this is a pound for pound good thing to participate in that already fits into my life.

I am at my worst in the morning. Not that all my mornings are the WORST, but relative to the rest of the day I usually just want to hide this section of myself from the world. That's probably the main reason why.

Plus my timezone makes me feel like I've arrived late to a party, which isn't true and pretty irrational, but 63 comments (and counting) is really intimidating to post in.

There is also a picture of beer at the top of each thread. I feel naive for asking this, but do people actually drink in the morning? I always get sleepy after drinking, drinking in the morning would be hell for me, I think. Maybe I should try to imagine you guys actually commenting during your afternoons, drinking beer with lunch. Maybe you guys have lunch at your 11am, which seems to be the norm. Fuck, I need to start waking up earlier than 8.

There's a book (I'm pretty sure its The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera) where a character believes that the if her diary was ever read by someone else it would negate the function of a diary, ruin the therapuetic effect that writing in a diary gave. That idea freaked me out when I read it, I had always had public diaries with feedback from someone else, penpals in highschool, online forums, with SOs, okcupid (when it still had its penpal focus)- feedback is probably my main driver of being vulnerable, I think. This is a character aspect / flaw of mine, I think.

Mike Birbiglia is a comedian who has a special called "My Secret Public Diary". Obviously he is my favorite comedian, I steal a lot of my public speaking style from him. Repetition, callbacks, timings, speaking tics- but my hunch is that there is also a propensity to paint one's life in a way that's most entertaining, whether self-deprecating or containing borderline sensitive information.

I am telling a story for a local podcast storytelling show next week in front of 700 people (these shows sell out, quick). I'm psyched because they sought me out for it. One of the great contradictions about me is that I feel most comfortable when I'm speaking publicly in front of a bunch of strangers. It's a flaw, but I know I'm going to kill it.

lm  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

For what it's worth, I definitely come back in the evening and read all the posts that happened during the day, so don't worry about your comments getting lost or ignored.

I'm curious: why would you consider feeling comfortable in front of strangers to be a flaw?

weewooweewoo  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

weewooweewoo  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Flac is terrified about employment: a choose your own adventure story

There is nothing I want more in the world than a full time 9-5 desk job.

Fuck me, I need to be more grateful.

I have to admit that my current 9 - 5 desk job because I didn't give a shit about where I was applying to and what position I applied for. The one I currently have came from a complete joke (admittedly, it helped that I was insane at the time). I applied for a Front End Developer position with a resume that listed the skills I didn't have as "things I would learn in a coding bootcamp" (i think someone here is a frontender and just threw up in their mouth), and they obviously rejected me. But then they called me for another position that they had a month later, I tried it out and failed that. Then they called me in a 3rd time and now I have my current job that I just complained about that I'm probably going to be fired from last week but whatever- I fit into the world somehow. I promise I'll respect my job more.

Fuck that food service job, man. Pissed me off reading about it.

Your resume sounds impressive as hell. I have an Ivy friend who said he applied to 200 financial places to get to the job he has, and his resume is the most impressive one I've seen in my life. I can't tell if he's lying about how many applications, but it did kind of insert the idea in my mind that there is a numbers game involved. I applied to 10 places, but in a city I've lived in my whole life. I also read an article a week ago about how someone made a bot that applied him to (500?) places. kleinbl00s 2nd point is something I will corroborate on, I did not realize the power of THE PEOPLE YOU'RE A LITTLE ACQUAINTED WITH but it is underrated, should be the stat that I wish people told me to focus on in Life RPG.

When I had to get my 2nd job out of college I sent out probably six resumes a week for five months. That's what? 120 resumes? I believe I got four interviews. The job I eventually landed was at a company advertising in the paper (dating myself there hard) but it was for a position they didn't know they needed until they met me.

When I needed out of that job I made calls to people I knew, got two offers, got turned down for two others, and ended up in a new position four days after I talked to the right rep. It is FAR easier to make a move when you have a network.

This was all - shit - eleven years ago. In 2009, when things were slim, I actually applied for something on Craigslist. It was a highly specialized job; it was also exactly what I had been doing from 2000-2007 so I was eminently qualified. I was also (in my estimation) one of maybe two dozen people west of the Mississippi who had any business applying for that job.

I got the interview, got to look over the position, and long story short it was about eight times too much work for about one third as much money as it deserved and it was temp contract to boot so within about two minutes of sitting down the "interview" went from "tell us why you're qualified for this job" to "lemme tell ya just how fucked you are because I can tell you need Seal Team Six, you're paying McDonald's and you're recruiting like Labor Ready." It was abundantly clear I wouldn't take the job if they offered it to me, so they said I was the most qualified person they'd met so far.

Curious, I asked how many people they'd interviewed.

"About twenty five."

(jaw drops)

"How many are you interviewing?"

"We've got another fifty today."

(long pause)

"How many resumes did you get?"

"About five hundred."

_________________________________________________

Moral of the story: the more people that see the job, the more people will apply. That does not mean that more qualified people will apply but it does mean that when you're part of a wide net cast, you better be able to distinguish yourself early and often.

weewooweewoo  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Will send diverse set of stickers & Hubski magnets for poems

Probably weird to write about an ex from years ago, but it was fun to think back on.

Your username reminds me

Of a short sleeper I admired

With 4 hours of sleep

She got all that she required

All the extra time she had

Went towards the hobbies she underwent

Her arts, her cello, her long distance friends

Consider it time well spent

Plus she went through books unbelievably fast

With retention way better than my own

Was also an anomaly when she spoke

Her rhetorical brilliance well known

I felt embarassed when we had sex

With 20 waking hours to my 16

She was THAT practiced at everything

A genius that can make a scene

An architect of arousal

In public places and / or the car

Open with fears and fetishes

Role reversal and lots of scars

But she once told me that whenever I slept

That I looked troubled and terrified

It's stuck with me since then

I guess I can't hide all anxieties from the outside

She made me feel small

But I'm alright with that

I wonder where she is now

Probably disappointed that I'm now fat

weewooweewoo  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I have completed drug and alcohol rehabilitation

🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱🌮🐱

April Fools joke over. Sorry if you missed it.

Alaskans grow up just learning about the (9.2 earthquake in 1964)[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake]. I wonder if Hawaiians cover this in their education system.

francopoli  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ahh yea, the Good Friday Quake. That earthquake killed people in California, or at least the tsunami did. As you turn around the point and look at Kodiak the city for the first time, there is an odd line about 100 feet up the hillside. That is where the wall of water slammed into the island and wiped the original city off the flipping map.

Notice the tree line? everything under that treeline was wiped out when the tsunami hit.

Thanks for the great advice bl00, your comment has been on my head all day. I've made a triple venn diagramm for my job, litcat, and freelance. You're right about how thinly I'm spread - I worry about my other jobs while doing the job I'm supposed to be doing, and it's fucking with me hard.

Out of respect for how angry and frustrated I was yesterday, I did my best to apply myself to my job today. I acted like I had gotten out of a depression this morning (why this works is still amazing to me), and acted as jovial as could be (I also ThatFanFicGuy's comment and thought it was hilarious, so I acted like what he probably thought I was like)

I voiced my fear of my review with my team lead today, she enthusiastically felt that I had nothing to worry about. That I was helpful and the account managers really liked me, I was a serious asset to the company. I trust her judgement, mostly because I felt I was going insane yesterday.

It's more likely that I am just a weird person with a lot of individual skills that are useful when the fires are bright. There was a few days where I spent 7 hours dicking around, but more days where I was immediately useful at other things.

But there is another lens that occurred to me while at work today: My job is to keep clients on our monthly retainer. SEO doesn't actually matter at the scale that we're doing it, (most of the keyword estimates are at 10 searches a month) it is more that the clients are kept, they believe we are doing something, and we are there when they need help.

This is what's wrong - my position's value lies mostly in reaction, when my idea of productivity is in being proactive. I need to see myself more like a firefighter to enjoy my work.

My job vs. my freelance work is interesting topic that I need to reflect on, because its something me and my boss talk have talked about and is something that I'm going to think about this weekend. I tell my clients that I can't do SEO work for them because of my job conflict, and I end up doing the work I'm passionate about - web design and hosting. At the agency, it's cheaper to have me make a few emails to designers and developers from Freelancer.com, than it is for me to go into the code.

The Venn Diagram I have is about which of three jobs I should cut. It would probably sound insane to you, but my gut instinct is to cut Lit.cat and focus on embracing my job and freelance work. I'm starting to realize that this entire comment and the reasoning is starting to sound more like weaseling out of burden of doing good work that you're trying to instill in me. I promise, goddammit, good work is all I want to do. I'll be more cognizant.

Right-o. Sounds like you're gonna be okay, friend. Based on what your team lead said, you're your own worst critic. That's great! That means with some self-esteem exercises you can learn to stop beating yourself up!

Which doesn't mean everything's right as rain, as you were. It means that you're already doing much better than you thought you were and are therefore that much further on the path to greatness. For example:

If your job is to do SEO, and it "doesn't really matter at the scale you're doing it" that means you need to scale up. Bring that up in the review - mention that you feel underutilized and that you'd like some help exploring ways to extend your services to a greater audience. There's nothing but upside for them on this; it's a rare company that turns down the possibility of risk-free revenue increases. 'cuz let's be honest: there's nothing geospecific about SEO. Your clients could be anywhere. There. Now you're no longer reacting. You're being proactive. And look at the bright side - you can fail like a mutherfucker and it costs neither you, your company nor any of your clients a thing.

And don't "cut" a hobby, which is what lit.cat is. Backburner it, scale it back, put it on hiatus, and promise yourself you'll get back to it when you can afford the time and energy. That gives you the opportunity to putter with it when you've got the time and the inclination. I ain't never gonna give you shit for wanting to support clients and coworkers.

One last thing: it may be cheaper to send emails to freelancer.com, but if you're underutilized your time is effectively free. Not only that, if it's fulfilling for you to work on stuff like that, see if you can't convince your peeps to let you take a whack at it occasionally for the simple reason that it increases your job satisfaction. The most efficient way isn't always the best way - sure, long-term you're probably more cost-effective as an SEO guy than as a designer. But sometimes you gotta flash the skillz. Did you know, for example, that the top 20 or so architecture firms in Seattle compete every year to make the dopest gingerbread house? and that they've been doing it for 25 years? Talk about a waste of billable hours... But they do it. Because it's fun. And they lord their wins over each other.

Do some web design sometimes. Show of your skillz. Let them know what you can do. Who knows where it might lead.

blackbootz  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·

What are some of those self-esteem exercises? I find my general level of anxiety trending upwards lately, and it's due in large part to the critic in my head.

In this particular discussion I was referring to the act of smiling more and assuming that nobody cares nearly as much as you think, as well as the commitment to giving yourself over to professional work.

blackbootz  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it, ok. Damn. I was looking for Left Right Left Right Up Down. Seems like it's more complicated than that.

But I agree entirely with the maxim that people don't care nearly as much as you think they do, for better or worse. Not only that, but internalizing this maxim has been one of the more liberating things I've experienced.

francopoli  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·
weewooweewoo  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: #trypod

I am anti-conversational podcasts and have too many to recommend. I'll probably spend all weekend working through this thread. Does anyone just want to look at my lineup and recommend something?

rjw  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

What are you using to listen to your podcasts?

Dala  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's Pocket Casts. I use it too, the best I have found so far.

rjw  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks :D

Sorry, this comment is private.