weewooweewoo's comments
weewooweewoo  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Robot rampage game

Ok, that was really cute. I think I got all of the timelines figured out, I really liked the secret one.

elizabeth  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

There'a a secret one!? Damn, I need to play a couple more times then.

weewooweewoo  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 6, 2017

I have my own Twitch emote now, lol:

Meeting one of my favorite authors tomorrow, (Arjun Basu)[https://twitter.com/arjunbasu], most famous for his 140 character stories on Twitter.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yo, misplaced the curve and square parentheses with each other in the link.

weewooweewoo  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: WTF?

This looks like a starting kit from Battle Royale / PUBG / Hunger Games, haha. My bet is a doctor with children who happened to be carrying a cleaver.

weewooweewoo  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 29, 2017

Really great show! there were hugs in the entire audience and someone broke down crying in the front row on their knees (fuck it, I teared up like 4 times during the show). They played the entire Life After Youth album in order, and came back for It's Okay for the encore.

weewooweewoo  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 29, 2017

Don't be afraid of changing the subject of a conversation when it doesn't interest you! You can use small talk to ease in and out if it's not a natural transition.

rd95  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·

Indeed. Something as simple as coughing or clearing your throat can be enough to create a subconscious stop to the topic and create an opportunity to bring up a new subject.

I want a ten favorite songs thread now...

Ugh, that's such bad luck. I'm sorry to hear. The one Moth Storyslam that happened in Anchorage was really good, and I got lucky because there were 20 entrants for 10 slots. I really hate the lottery format, but they probably do that so people don't leave after telling their story.

tacocat  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

The last two were just awful so the lottery format definitely had some issues. But overall the stories are generally pretty good.

I've been interning for a chess stream for about 2 weeks now, and I haven't had this much fun in so long.

Over the weekend we had 4 time US chess champion Yasser Seirawn staying over, and he got on stream multiple times. The easiest way to describe him is that he is the Bob Ross of chess in commentary and personality. Is easily one of the most jovial people I've ever met- there's also a 4 page article about him from the Los Angeles Times that begins with "He is hale, hip and handsome."

On Saturday, with did a fundraiser stream for one his chess mentors growing up. There was tons of support from the wider chess community, and we broke through our donation goal in an afternoon.

On Sunday night, he said out of the blue that if we reached 1000 subscribers (get 440 new paid subscriptions) before he left on a flight the next day, he would commit to streaming for the channel for a year. It was impromptu decided that we would do a 24 hour livestream to try to reach the goal. We worked through in shifts, I stayed awake for 20 hours of it to do background technical work / moral support- but was it really necessary? We ended up reaching the subscriber goal within 4 hours. We also hit the front page of Twitch and hit a record 4200 concurrent viewers at once- absolutely nuts for a stream that averages 500 viewers on good days. What a weekend, and what a great guy. Holy shit.

Here's a clip of sleepless me hanging my queen and causing Yasser a lot of pain.

=======

I met up with elizabeth last Wednesday for a Land of Talk concert! It was a great night. I've never been to a speakeasy before, but I met up with her at one with a couple of her friends (Note- I've never met a vlogger before, but it turns out that two vloggers in the same room is a perpetual energy machine). I loved the secret club vibe to it, and they served some of the best drinks I've ever tasted. I'm inspired to get into cocktails.

I didn't actually take any photos with Elizabeth, but I did get this great picture of the band I've been obsessed with all year:

elizabeth  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I gotchu fam!

(low light speakeasies are are not the best for selfies)

I gotta admit Steve's pretty intense, he's one of the most energetic people I know. And the fact that he shares my love of messing with Hind kinda made us spiral out of control. I swear I can be laid back too! Had a good time at the concert too, you got good taste in music :)

WanderingEng  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Land of Talk concert!

Awesome! Great show? I really like her new album.

weewooweewoo  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·

weewooweewoo  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 22, 2017

So I asked Yasser your question just now (actually, I asked: "what's the best way to prepare for a tournament?"), I'm going to try to distill it the best I can:

I don't like general questions, because it usually depends on your level, the way that you prepare is much different depending on your competency. But a lot of people try to memorize a lot of opening theory and lines, and the problem with that is that it's easy to get them jumbled, I know that I did that many times in tournament situations. I think the most important thing is to try to bring energy to the tournament.

weewooweewoo  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 22, 2017

Thanks! I'm glad you checked out the stream too, it's been so fun being constantly surrounded by chess professionals. I'm getting a lot of practice in and getting rid of some of my bad chess habits. I'm making it my goal to feel confident enough to get a game off you next time!

Devac  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm looking forward to it. Let's just skip the "The circle is now complete…" talk once we'll get to the match. Though, I don't think if you need the confidence to play with me. It mostly for fun and training, at least that's how I'm approaching it.

If you don't mind me asking, how does their training routine look?

weewooweewoo  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

weewooweewoo  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 22, 2017

The moth thrives on tragicomedy. You gotta make it seem like a complete fiasco

tacocat  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Shouldn't need five minutes for that

Dude, kill it!

tacocat  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

I will try. I had to try to put a happy face on some deeply depressing things. Normal people apparently don't like to hear stories of how your entire life shit the bed unless the dry cleaning bill got comped in the end.

weewooweewoo  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

The moth thrives on tragicomedy. You gotta make it seem like a complete fiasco

tacocat  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Shouldn't need five minutes for that

lil  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Or unless you make it tragic and funny. After all, comedy is tragedy wrapped in a snowball.

Quiz Question for all of Hubski: what famous Canadian novel involved a premature birth and ensuing disasters because a stone was wrapped in a snowball?

oyster  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah, sounds a lot like Fifth Business and if I didn’t know you had been an English teacher in Ontario before this would have given it away.

lil  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes! Fifth Business! Great book. The stone in the snowball threw several lives off in that book.

weewooweewoo  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 22, 2017

Chessbrah Internship: We have former US Chesschampion Yasser Seirawan staying over right now (we're live right now!), which is pretty neat: https://www.twitch.tv/chessbrah

He exudes the aura of a life well lived. Warm, jovial, frank, and witty.

Me: I am in love with Montreal. I am trying not to be so quiet, but I'm realizing it's natural for me when you don't have the deep knowledge pools of the surrounding people- I love being the dumbest person in the room. I sense that everyone has a thing where they get worried for me "Jaron, you haven't talked for two hours"- but hey, that's me, and I'm alright with that.

Montreal: I've been here for a week, and I just left the street I'm on for the first time yesterday. There is no reason to leave St. Laurent. Ever. I never want to leave. Right in front of me is an A & W, and in a drunken stupor, I proclaimed that their Mozzarella Burger was just as fresh and of high a quality as an In and Out Burger- and dammit, my sober self still believes it.

Pinball: I found out that I live a block away from a pinball place, and finally made it there and made friends with the resident experts- they're so good I want to cry. The place specializes in classic pins, old pinball machines are completely foreign to me. I've been training bad habits out of myself by playing with this Paragon machine, if you try to drop catch every shot you'll just end up draining.

Devac  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Once more, congratulations on the Chessbrah work! I watched one of the latest streams and it really does feel like a great group. Though, I wouldn't want to meet any of them in a dark chess alley. ;)

weewooweewoo  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you don't mind me asking, how does their training routine look?

weewooweewoo  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

weewooweewoo  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Let Them Eat Cake

Does our hatred of this make it more desirable to a certain portion of rich people?

I know people who don't brag about how their jeans fit. They don't brag about how their jeans look. They brag about how much their jeans cost.

katakowsj  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

Certain folks identify their personal value is solely their power to go out and acquire crap. “Look how impressive I am! I can pay a thousand times more for a precious metal can than everyone else can. I’ll have it sit on my shelf and remind me how awesome my money power makes me.”

Sad-ball douchebags.

I don’t want to hate them though, takes too much energy. They’re just annoying.

At least, I imagine they are. I don’t know anyone that’s into this stuff. Can’t say I’d want to be around a person that values that sort of thing.

weewooweewoo  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 15, 2017

gimme gimme gimme.

uh, I don't know how postage works yet for the place I'm staying at. I'll message you when I figure it out.

tacocat  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd send a digital file but you'd lose the poorly Xeroxed charm