We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
weewooweewoo's comments
weewooweewoo  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

33.h5 doesn't even look like too much of a blunder, because you take on c6 the next move. I don't fully understand the .7 centipawn loss there, it just feels like such an even game. I really think that this game is indicative of how consistent you are as a player.

Was there something to trading queens on turn 10? I know the computer says it's the best move, it already looks... drawish after the knight recaptures. I feel like Qg3 would have been more your style.

I just got interviewed for a graphic design internship position for these guys today: http://chessbrah.tv/about-chessbrah/ I felt really good about the interview. if I get the position, I'll get to travel to Montreal, help them with their blitz chess stream, and get drunk with famous chess players. It's still really weird to me. I didn't have anyone else to tell right now, but I thought maybe you'd be amused by it.

Also, I do the same about the downplaying, but I really think you're doing great! I'd love to see your next games.

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

34. … Ne2+ 35. Kf2 Nd4 36. Be4

That's the best continuation that I can see. No mobility, everything is pinned one way or another and we are just walking around and hoping that the opponent will make a mistake. Or hope that opponent's clock will go out.

That's not fun! I'm happy that my opponent saw eye to eye with me on that point.

Centipawn is a metric used to gauge how 'perfect' was overall play. It tallies losses and pawn is worth 100 basic units. There's your centi-pawn. The lower, the better. Knight and bishop are worth 300, rook 500 and queen 900. Average it over the game's duration and that's the average centipawn loss.

I personally don't like this metric. It makes any tactic that relies on sacrifices seem bad, flawed etc.

Was there something to trading queens on turn 10?

Years of studying bastards deploying perfect Caro-Kann against me. ;)

Seriously, it might not be the best move, but I wanted to have this exchange done 'on my terms' so to speak.

Chessbrah

Lol at the name. I hope you'll get the job! Sounds like a nerd-blast.

Can I see the game? A draw is still really good. Your score in the tournament overall still sounds like you being overly modest.

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Here it is <- I played as white.

Apparently, it wasn't as much of a blunder as it felt at the table. If the strength graph is any indication it probably couldn't have been evener (that's a word, right?). I kinda looked at my opponent and we had this moment of telepathy going along the lines of "is there a reason to prolong this thing? Let's just handshake, sign the game sheet and report the draw."

That tiny moment of gained position felt huge during the game, though. That's likely why losing it felt like such a blunder.

Your score in the tournament overall still sounds like you being overly modest.

Perhaps, but so far my progress at tournaments goes in one of two ways:

1. Cruising without breaking a sweat until something breaks my streak and I get myself into a self-sustaining anxiety fission pile about my next game (which means I'm going to make mistakes and play conservatively instead of my prefered style).

2. Lose the first five or six consecutive games, until I'm down with the 'glue-eating kids' and stop giving a fuck so hard that I'm winning every game for the rest of the tournament.

My sample size is around forty and there aren't many outliers.

Plus I prefer to downplay myself most of the time. Doesn't feel as bad when things go to shit.

weewooweewoo  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

34. … Ne2+ 35. Kf2 Nd4 36. Be4

Was there something to trading queens on turn 10?

Years of studying bastards deploying perfect Caro-Kann against me. ;)

Chessbrah

Lol at the name. I hope you'll get the job! Sounds like a nerd-blast.

I... am almost the same? I graduated in Psychology and Political Science, I've been thinking about going to grad school to study Moral Psychology because I wanted to contribute to get people united for big issues.

I've done freelance in web and graphic design to make ends meet since I graduated 3 years ago, but I don't really see myself getting into it any further. There is an interview by Julia Galef that I keep relistening to, she kind of touches on how she makes money through her organizations, but I keep going back to it to daydream about what I'd do if I continued to pursue psychology. https://80000hours.org/2017/09/is-it-time-for-a-new-scientific-revolution-julia-galef-on-how-to-make-humans-smarter/

Watch this as many times as you can in a row.

steve  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I cannot get over how incredibly mesmerizing this is...

weewooweewoo  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ads Don't Work That Way

I remembered this article from 2014, so I skipped it, but it wasn't actually the article I thought it was. Does anyone remember the article about ads are about group associations? i.e.: http://local.theonion.com/hostages-trapped-inside-walmart-insisting-they-never-sh-1819595014

weewooweewoo  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

I'm in a cafe in Cheney, Washington. The first odd thing is that I am the only person in a 3/4 full cafe with a laptop out. It's very bizarre to me. I'm trying to be conservative with my computer usage right now.

Quite a bit of turbulence on my flight to Washington. I stuck my camera to the window and held the shutter to get this:

Finally got a portfolio for myself together before I left. Then one interview I had lined up in Spokane fell apart on me, found out a couple hours after I got off the plane. I came here to visit a friend, so I should focus on that. Trying not to think too much about employment, or maybe I should be. Trying to enjoy myself on vacation. Trying.

weewooweewoo  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Something beautiful died tonight

I prefer yours. I hope things hold up on your end, sad robots aside

Something beautiful died tonight and I was u crazy and I didn't realize that you were pretty much my best friend this time and I was so weird yesterday and I didn't realize that you were pretty much my best friend this time and I was so weird yesterday and I didn't realize that you were pretty much my best friend this year.

My SwiftKey prediction from this sentence is really sad.

tacocat  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Something beautiful died tonight and I will be receiving a lot of people are going to be a good time to time and money to pay for it to the doctor and I will be receiving a lot of people are going to be a good time

Something beautiful died tonight or a little while and the rest are a couple days and then we have the ability for you guys think I am a beautiful and you are a couple days and then we have the ability for you guys

Something beautiful died tonight at a later time and I will not have a good idea for the next few weeks and months of age and the amends to you by tomorrow afternoon to get a hitman to be with a few months he was the only one who has a vocabulary and the amends to you by tomorrow

I think iOS SwiftKey is a lot stupider than Android

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Something beautiful died tonight: I have been to this restaurant since the first place I've been to the brunch spot in a long day of downtown Toronto...

I guess all I talk about is food?

weewooweewoo  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I prefer yours. I hope things hold up on your end, sad robots aside

tacocat  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Robots write weird poems

weewooweewoo  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 11, 2017

It's rough that you have to piece together your brother's results. I don't know anything about it, but I imagine it might be best to ask him how he's doing yourself, I feel as though the information over how he's doing is something he'd like control over.

Devac  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have a deal with my brother. We avoid talking about health. It goes both ways. I don't like to discuss my own and vice versa. He's his usual self though - witty, peppy and annoyingly smart. Though, knowing him, he likely just glanced at his results and shrugged.

As far as getting information from my parents is concerned, it's not that far from ordinary. Especially when it's a sensitive topic. There are more things we share nonverbally than otherwise, this isn't an exception. What pisses me off is the fact that my mother is a friggin' infectious diseases specialist! If there's anyone around whom I would trust about diagnosis, speculation or insight in this particular case, then it's her. But alas, she can't give me a straight answer which in this case I can only interpret as vague confirmation. I'll likely get confirmation in a matter of few days either way. It's the waiting that gets to me.

I would say that we aren't a normal family, but I've seen weirder. ;)

Rooting for you. Even if you don't get it all together, at least you're taking steps.

tacocat  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

12 steps.

Oh God, I'm hilarious!

weewooweewoo  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Today's Writing Prompt: This Is What It's Like

That's what it's like to be X,

Said the letter Y.

But why, Y naught?

I thought but to whine ought.

Because there's a lot to allot, great scot-

An X that ain't ought is one big shot

Wouldn't it not?

But that thought,

I, who did thought

Wouldn't it not be ought

If we didn't think if that was ought

Y fought and vied hot,

But fought for I to buy ought:

Ain't there not

A spec of truth in every wide thought?

Between all that was sought,

That I did got.

Aye, I finally thought.

Man, fuck the two of you,

Said the letter X.

lil  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fun to read. Thanks.

bfv  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·

I skipped a week, but the last was 246th and I haven't repeated any titles for at least a year.

weewooweewoo  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 4, 2017

BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE IS MY FAVORITE BAND I'M SO JEALOUS

I'm only gonna do one liners today, period. Cause I ran out of pantiliners on the way here.

That joke would make more sense if I was a woman. I'm probably getting only 70% of the laughs I would have gotten because I'm a man.

I've been killing it at open mic comedy for the past few weeks, I recently switched to a one-liners-only style that makes me impervious and flexible to rowdy bar crowds. Man, it feels good. Without really intending to, I've realized it's been my main creative outlet and the only thing I've really gotten better at in the last month.

There's two open-mics a week (at the bar I made a website for), and it's been a nice place to hang out. I still don't really know people there, so sometimes I just won't talk to anyone and just go up on stage, but people are recognizing me, and I'm making steps to break out of my shell. I'm kind of making it my goal to get to know people there when I get up tonight.

===============

I have to sit down tonight because I messed up my feet on an early morning run. I never thought I'd be able to, but I also never thought the police would find my meth lab.

I fucked up my feet on a long walk awhile ago. They've hurt for a whole week and a half now, at least while standing. I'm pretty sure it's because I still keep walking on them. Today is the first day that they've actually felt like they've been healing, so I'm glad about that.

===============

I just told my therapist that I was going to do stand up comedy tonight. He said, yeah, that's perfect for you, your life is a joke.

A thing about pubskis is that it coincides with when I visit my therapist, so it's like I get a double dose of therapy on the same day. I'm a little irritated at my therapist today though. The theme since I've been seeing him is to embrace my hobbies, even though most of them are online. He's did a complete 180- you gotta stop spending so much time on the computer. I know that he's someone who's a drug counceler, and I don't know, I thought the entire point of my therapy sessions was to relieve myself of guilt so I could spend more time on work, but hell. Alright. The computer screen is cocaine now.

===============

My favorite city in Alaska is Juneau. It's the place where tourists get off cruise ships and look at the mountains and say "This is it? They have this back in New York!"

Things. I booked a trip impulsively recently, and now I have a ticket to Spokane I won't use, and I didn't buy the travelers insurance. But that's alright.

I got accepted into an innovation sprint for ocean technology in Alaska. It's kind of weird because I'm a designer working with engineers and marine biologists and people more qualified than me, but I'm excited to bust out my college skills again. I do have to stay here for a month.

A friend from the debate team is offering me a digital media job at the governors office in Juneau. Juneau really is my favorite city in Alaska. I'm currently procrastinating from sending him my portfolio, which I really should be doing. I hope I can get my shit together.