We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
weewooweewoo's comments
Sorry, this comment is private.
weewooweewoo  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tacocat says hey.

Thanks for the update. He's been on my head. Glad to hear that he's holding up!

weewooweewoo  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dido appreciation thread

I read this as dildo appreciation thread because I am still 13 years old and this is was what was on the radio at the time.

weewooweewoo  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: If you had a band, what would you name it?

1. The Exact Same

2. Love Will Find You and Beat the Shit Out of You

3. DJ Depressive Realism

4. The Love in Her Eyes, the Cock in His Ass

5. The Failed Attempts

6. Suck My Dick (Nobody Loves Me) Feat. Jay Z - Bitches Reprise (Extended Cut/Collectors Edition)

Off the top of my head. I'm going to keep racking my brain for dumb ones I've come up with.

nowaypablo  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

I giggled profusely

e- update: this is fucking hilarious

ThatFanficGuy  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's a long-ass name.

veen  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

I leave my comment as is.

weewooweewoo  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 213th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I saw them at Pittsburgh last year and they were amazing. It's weird that I went to the show, because I really only knew them from this collaborative album, but it was worth it. I broke out of my shell and made a couple of friends and got a lot of great photography shots of the opening band before my camera died.

weewooweewoo  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 1, 2017

Your graphic design is fucking sick.

weewooweewoo  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: IKEA effect: we value stuff more when we put effort into it

Was that a guy hammering something down with his phone in the first 10 seconds?

katakowsj  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah. Looks like the modern equivalent of a cave man banging a rock to break open a coconut. The more things change, the more they stay the same. :)

weewooweewoo  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Universal Love, Said the Cactus Person

Of course! This one is easily one of my favorite writings of all time, and Scott was super nice to let me use it.

A lot of Lit.cat works so far have been me asking authors to let me republish their work. I've been mulling for the last week on changing Lit.cat to a republish model, with an open suggestions box for people to dump their bookmarks. Something about curating the state of writing on the internet.

flagamuffin  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·

cool cool

orig

weewooweewoo  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Did you protest? Post your protest stuff!

It's pretty insane here, because it was snowing so bad in Anchorage that I couldn't see 20 feet in front of me on the highway (whiteout), yet look how many people showed up for the march. I feel terrible for not going: https://www.facebook.com/anchoragepress/videos/1411292478890180/

Trombone  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good to know, thank you.

I will note that the pages were not replaced with anything. There's no mention of LGBT's or climate change on the new site, which is still worrying.

galen  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

If anything, the climate change page was replaced by this "New Energy Plan" thing. So.

weewooweewoo  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This is a 10 second video

Holy shit, this website gives me the chills. I'm sure as fuck that its name is a reference to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_effect

Recommending it to everyone I know.

weewooweewoo  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Akasha alpha released

I still don't know what any of this is or what its for, but it looks and sounds cool and makes Hacker News all the time.

Once upon a time there was a social network called "Facebook" and everybody was on it but they also hated it because of its privacy abuses and general anti-consumer approach to social networking.

One day, a group of nerds said they could make a decentralized social network that you would have control over. There would be no giant corporation full of server farms requiring your trust; you, yourself would be the alpha and omega of your profile, your interface, your software. The internet swooned.

Unfortunately, the nerds were building server software, not user software, and they were doing it with too little money. They had open alphas and betas that further drove home the point that theirs was a nerd architecture that Kim Kardashian would never post selfies on. Then one of the founders committed suicide, and then Google Plus came out, which looked shockingly like Diaspora, a fact that even Google copped to (saying something like "the diaspora team did a lot of stuff right and we chose to emulate their successful design" or some shit) and since they were Google and Diaspora was three grieving nerds, that was that.

Within about a month it was clear that nobody gave a fuck about Google Plus. Six months after that, when Diaspora could actually be run by people who didn't want to configure a server, it was clear that Diaspora was essentially Google Plus without the extensibility of Google and with no real way to find friends (or even people who spoke your own language). Thus, it died hard and only nerds remember.

But the nerds remember the dream of a decentralized social network beyond the control and censure of anyone. thus, they keep trying.

Akasha is more than that. In addition to being a decentralized social network, it's also a proof-of-concept to demonstrate that the Ethereum blockchain is useful for more than nerd goldbugging. But, as with all social networks, its success or failure will be wholly dependent on attracting a critical mass of users... which hasn't happened since Facebook supplanted Myspace. It also has the disadvantage of being based on Ethereum, which hard forks regularly away from catastrophic failures of trust, thereby leading to a fundamental basis of distrust.

So really, it's a demonstration architecture of the dreamy governmentless future in which we are all our own standard bearers, freely distributing our intellectual wares for checksummed micropayments and earning our daily bread and watching our daily circuses safely freed from the chains of The Man. But until a rogue president chooses to pick a fight with Meryl Streep on it, it shall remain but a dream.

bfv  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

MySpace took off because it was first where your favorite bands were and then where all the people you met at shows were. Facebook took off because it was where everyone at your university organized their social lives. Diaspora was where the privacy conscious nerds were, which is a big draw for privacy conscious nerds and pretty much no one else. I think a distributed social network could succeed, but it'd have to find a community a large number of people are/want to be a part of to be early adopters.

weewooweewoo  ·  83 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ButterflyEffect's Favorite Music of 2016

It's been a couple days since you've posted this, but I coming back to check out music from here. This is a list of music that fits seamlessly into my tastes.

I'm starting to realize that now's the time to grow up and start buying music from the artists I like, I've gotten away with too much on this conscience. As soon as I get my first paycheck from my new job I'm going to get Todd Slant and Camp Cope's albums.

weewooweewoo  ·  84 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The State of Hubski: 2016

Hubski is like the supergroup of the internet. Here's to 2017!

weewooweewoo  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Kissenger simulates kissing your long-distance lover

I totally want to admit this- I really fucking love making out. Like for hours at a time. It's like a meditative puzzle game of emotional intimacy and warmth in a flow state.

I wonder how long it would take for a device like this to become normalized in the US. I'm terrified about becoming an old man paying for kisses.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  84 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't think it will proliferate anywhere in the world. Many an unusual invention have found life but couldn't find a place for themselves. One reason I can think of for this thing is that it's nowhere near the real kiss. Sure, it has kinetic response, but there's no texture, no moist, no head movement... no character. Why would you want to pay for something like that?