We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
weewooweewoo's comments
weewooweewoo  ·  16 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 241st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

The name is very silly but the production of this music just melts me:

I advice you to separate your operating system drive from this file drive, which allows you to do clean installs whenever you want and have everything file where you left it.

TIL I'm an idiot. I can't stop cackling and cringing at this, this would have saved me so much time and stress over my life.

I read the book and the manga, and the manga I like because things are just a lot less threatening in comic book form.

Fuck, I just donated GTD after reading the magic of tidying up. Weirdly enough, this actually makes me want to commit to reading it again. I read GTD when I was a freshman in college, and I remember that my big takeaway was to reduce tasks to their under 2 minute essence- I even tried a system out with a physical tray with notecards because my digital solutions for GTD weren't really working for me. I didn't really give GTD my 100% shot, it didn't feel very applicable to me when I was in college and everything was intrinsically interesting to me.

===============

An aside, because it just occurred to me that there is a common theme to the self-help books I like and tend to embrace:

I tend to choose embrace philosophies that can be potentially self-serving in the moment, all the while glossing over maintenance. (Simple Rules)[https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Rules-Thrive-Complex-World/dp/0544705203] is probably the most egregious example, because I break and selectively forget and make up new rules all the time in my head, and no amount of leaving post-it-notes around can change that.

===============

But shit, I'm doing the OS thing right now.

veen  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·

The idea to separate it like that was given to me by a friend a year or two ago and I was equally surprised at why I never thought of it before.

I don't think reading GTD again is necessary - it really isn't that applicable when you're a student, and it's getting more outdated by the minute. Your time is better spent on what GTD really is about, which is building a system for yourself:

And / Or, read Cal Newport's Deep Work, which I loved. Maybe his tips for focused work can get you to focus better on the maintenance tasks:

I have two programs for saving bits of writing, Tomboy Notes (I found a windows version) and Zim, both of which catalogue writing in a similar way, and the reason I have both is because, yeah, I didn't want to properly organize the first one.

Fun easter egg: I've been formatting poetry on lit.cat as h2 headings as a duct tape and popicles solution to text lines being spaced far apart from each other. In my head this means that all the poetry is screaming at Google but all I think its doing is confusing people who read with screen readers.

My only experience with experience with linux was to distrohop to see the differences between them. It was finals week and my procrastination took me through Ubuntu, Mint, Bodhi, and Crunchbang, and I'm sure the MD5 checksum is something I've seen while installing these things. I never really got it.

I learned how to drive manual last week, and I was surprised at how many things I've taken for granted driving automatic. I have an idealized romanticism with driving manual and just wanted to take it on. Is this similar to why you would check for a collision that according to this is likely never going to happen to you?

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

On Linux, checking the MD5 sum isn't really required for installing anything. If you'll make a program and distribute it, you also provide the checksum for your build. That way if someone would swap binary for something else, you can tell by a checksum mismatch. Of course, it doesn't work if someone hacked your site and pasted their checksum as the valid one.

It's not a foolproof method but can still help with general security.

I learned how to drive manual last week

That's the only way I know how to drive. The automatic transmission is rather fringe around here.

I don't look for collisions. It's just something of which I am aware. Collisions are but a tiny subset of duplicates.

Dala  ·  23 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Ah, crunchbang. How I miss you. Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

Using shortcuts is something I haven't thought of at all, but it's elegant! There are times when I can't decide where something should go, and there have been times when I've looked for something in multiple places.

I'm unsure what you mean by having a script to check for directories, do you have to recheck the organizational structure of your directory?

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Here's how my script works:

1. Make a list of all files in <a list of directories>.

2. Save a full path to each file (but not a shortcuts) and pair it with an MD5 checksum. It goes recursively into subdirectories until the end of the tree.

3. Look for checksum duplicates.

4. If duplicate, then print (or save in a file) all locations.

Because there aren't many duplicates to begin with, I can usually go through the list by hand. Last time it was something like 10 positions.

Why does the checksum comparison work? Chances to have two different files with exact same checksum are pretty low. Like 'it never happened to me' low. Also, checksums will not differ even if the names are different.

EDIT: Just as a CYA measure for you twitchy programmers out there, I did put some optimisations in place. For instance: things are recalculated only if the date of modification is chronologically after the date of the last scan. If a file is no longer there, the entry is simply removed. It isn't pretty or as optimal as it could be but works fast enough for me.

weewooweewoo  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It's not a foolproof method but can still help with general security.

I learned how to drive manual last week

Dala  ·  23 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Ah, crunchbang. How I miss you. Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

I know webflow uses shopify's liquid system for its code. Pretty much, I have a theme system for Lit.cat where articles reference another database of articles to get their themes. I've only customized the css of existing WordPress themes, I have no idea how it'd go to create your own element reference system.

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, now you're beyond me. I can make the formatting go. I can make weirdly spaced poems display weirdly spaced rightly on the page if you let me fiddle and swear insomniacally enough.

CSS is past me. At least for now. At least I have the confidence I could learn enough to hack a little at it, if push came to shove, but it'd have to come to that for me to learn any first.

weewooweewoo  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

weewooweewoo  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your killer smoothie?

This thread is making my mouth water. I want to get into smoothies now.

Odder  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Buy a cheap blender. Use it until it dies. Then, buy a good blender.

Also, kale is gross. Don't ruin smoothies with kale.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Also, kale is gross. Don't ruin smoothies with kale.

First of all HOW DAER U

But seriously, you need some fiber in a smoothie if you're going to consume them regularly. Otherwise you're just getting huge sugar boosts which are not good for ones long term pancreatic/digestive health.

Fine, no kale, but spinach is super mild tasting and other than the color you can put a half cup or more into most smoothies and not notice the taste.

Odder  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Looks like bananas beat kale in terms of fiber per serving (comparing 1 cup kale to 1 banana) so it's probably fine to leave the kale out as long as you have a banana. Spinach could work though. Have you had any luck with frozen spinach?

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

And bananas are deceivingly sweet and pretty dang good for you. Oh... And super stupid cheap.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

All points in their favor.

I must be mindful of my potassium intake, so my daily driver smoothies have lost their banana component.

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I actually thought about putting a disclaimer in my earlier comment.... but I was on my phone and lazy...

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Frozen is fine, I have unanswered (unresearched) questions about nutritional content but more veggies is almost always better.

WordPress would be a free option for the journal, I believe. It's not a bad option, it would just be a lot more work and learning, although someone has suggested that if I could figure out how to transfer it to WordPress it would make a really unique theme. I don't know where I'd start with it.

On the journal itself. The video was the fun part to me, I didn't consult my editors for it, and this makes me a shitty boss. But this is what makes it a therapeutic project. I enjoy coming up with dumb ideas and executing them without anyone giving feedback.

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

i can make wordpress moderately go

weewooweewoo  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

weewooweewoo  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

weewooweewoo  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well I hope you appreciate the fact that giving careful consideration to you transferring to WordPress is a luxury for me right now. And I do it for reasons that are entirely beneficial to me.

I'm right now soldiering through shit that kills people. And I only say that to offer perspective. I don't want pity or anything. Just saying.

weewooweewoo  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 16, 2017

Terrible, lol. I killed all the energy in the room,probably never doing deadpan again. I'm going to go back to the drawing board again.

goobster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oops. Learning Experience!

It would!

Hm. I have another thought. I just did the The Joy of Tidying Up recently, and I made myself a reading corner by putting a curved chair and a blanket (should probably be a rug) on the floor- and one thing I've noticed is that I really haven't used it since I've first made it- I read on my bed already. Instead, the chair ended up a natural place for clothes to go to, because for some unconscious reason I just preferred it to hanging my clothes up on my wall hooks. This is on the floor, and not on a bunk, and if you already have a couch, I doubt you'll make the transition either without consciously reminding yourself to.

I didn't register that you were thinking about growing mushrooms. Fucking hell, do that. You should make that space your hobby space. Like a train set or something.

Cumol  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Time to check what is needed to grow mushrooms! :)

Gem  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·
Cumol  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Actually I do! I will try to get some stuff from them :)

weewooweewoo  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Photography: Ultraviolet Break of Day

This entire website turns me on so much

My initial feeling is to remove it if you don't need it? Or use it as a bed? My friend got rid of his at the beginning of the summer because he just used his for storage.

Cumol  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Removing it feels like "losing space" because it won't add any benefit to the room. Maybe a more detailed sketch of the room would help. Would it?

weewooweewoo  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

It would!

Cumol  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Time to check what is needed to grow mushrooms! :)

Gem  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·
Cumol  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Actually I do! I will try to get some stuff from them :)

weewooweewoo  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: An ad for Job Cigarette Papers by Alphonse Mucha

The theme of this month has been about what motivates me to work, and weed is kind of a confounding variable because sometimes I'll get stoned just to trick myself into finding work enjoyable. This works maybe half the time, at least for getting started, but there are problems that I'll avoid working on whether I'm high or not.

When my relationship with work is better, I'll get back to it.

I just quit smoking (weed and cigarettes) last week, but I've always been brand loyal to JOB rolling papers for no good reason other than the graphic design.

am_Unition  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Why weed? Cigarettes, on the other hand, no explanation required.

weewooweewoo  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

When my relationship with work is better, I'll get back to it.