We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
weewooweewoo's comments
weewooweewoo  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This is a 10 second video

Holy shit, this website gives me the chills. I'm sure as fuck that its name is a reference to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_effect

Recommending it to everyone I know.

weewooweewoo  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Akasha alpha released

I still don't know what any of this is or what its for, but it looks and sounds cool and makes Hacker News all the time.

kleinbl00  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Once upon a time there was a social network called "Facebook" and everybody was on it but they also hated it because of its privacy abuses and general anti-consumer approach to social networking.

One day, a group of nerds said they could make a decentralized social network that you would have control over. There would be no giant corporation full of server farms requiring your trust; you, yourself would be the alpha and omega of your profile, your interface, your software. The internet swooned.

Unfortunately, the nerds were building server software, not user software, and they were doing it with too little money. They had open alphas and betas that further drove home the point that theirs was a nerd architecture that Kim Kardashian would never post selfies on. Then one of the founders committed suicide, and then Google Plus came out, which looked shockingly like Diaspora, a fact that even Google copped to (saying something like "the diaspora team did a lot of stuff right and we chose to emulate their successful design" or some shit) and since they were Google and Diaspora was three grieving nerds, that was that.

Within about a month it was clear that nobody gave a fuck about Google Plus. Six months after that, when Diaspora could actually be run by people who didn't want to configure a server, it was clear that Diaspora was essentially Google Plus without the extensibility of Google and with no real way to find friends (or even people who spoke your own language). Thus, it died hard and only nerds remember.

But the nerds remember the dream of a decentralized social network beyond the control and censure of anyone. thus, they keep trying.

Akasha is more than that. In addition to being a decentralized social network, it's also a proof-of-concept to demonstrate that the Ethereum blockchain is useful for more than nerd goldbugging. But, as with all social networks, its success or failure will be wholly dependent on attracting a critical mass of users... which hasn't happened since Facebook supplanted Myspace. It also has the disadvantage of being based on Ethereum, which hard forks regularly away from catastrophic failures of trust, thereby leading to a fundamental basis of distrust.

So really, it's a demonstration architecture of the dreamy governmentless future in which we are all our own standard bearers, freely distributing our intellectual wares for checksummed micropayments and earning our daily bread and watching our daily circuses safely freed from the chains of The Man. But until a rogue president chooses to pick a fight with Meryl Streep on it, it shall remain but a dream.

bfv  ·  16 hours ago  ·  link  ·

MySpace took off because it was first where your favorite bands were and then where all the people you met at shows were. Facebook took off because it was where everyone at your university organized their social lives. Diaspora was where the privacy conscious nerds were, which is a big draw for privacy conscious nerds and pretty much no one else. I think a distributed social network could succeed, but it'd have to find a community a large number of people are/want to be a part of to be early adopters.

weewooweewoo  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ButterflyEffect's Favorite Music of 2016

It's been a couple days since you've posted this, but I coming back to check out music from here. This is a list of music that fits seamlessly into my tastes.

I'm starting to realize that now's the time to grow up and start buying music from the artists I like, I've gotten away with too much on this conscience. As soon as I get my first paycheck from my new job I'm going to get Todd Slant and Camp Cope's albums.

weewooweewoo  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The State of Hubski: 2016

Hubski is like the supergroup of the internet. Here's to 2017!

weewooweewoo  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Kissenger simulates kissing your long-distance lover

I totally want to admit this- I really fucking love making out. Like for hours at a time. It's like a meditative puzzle game of emotional intimacy and warmth in a flow state.

I wonder how long it would take for a device like this to become normalized in the US. I'm terrified about becoming an old man paying for kisses.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't think it will proliferate anywhere in the world. Many an unusual invention have found life but couldn't find a place for themselves. One reason I can think of for this thing is that it's nowhere near the real kiss. Sure, it has kinetic response, but there's no texture, no moist, no head movement... no character. Why would you want to pay for something like that?

weewooweewoo  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Dumbest User Interface of 2016

I muttered under my breath that if it wasn't the verifone card swiper thing then there is no justice in the world and now there is some justice in the world and i'm still not happy

“Family Guy” is an animated sitcom created by Seth MacFarlane that sends up American culture. Like many satirical comedies on our list, it is most popular in cities. The show’s popularity was more correlated with support for Hillary Clinton than any other show.

This is a huge surprise to me, and I'm trying to resist the urge to say to myself, well it shouldn't. I've been so obsessed with judging the consumption of media by the kinds of people who watch them, that I'm completely out of touch.

francopoli  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was expecting this sentence under the South Park heading.

weewooweewoo  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New Kind of Me - by The New Green

This is catchy as fuck. Is that a jaw harp I hear?

How does CD Baby work? It's totally bizarre to me that you don't even know that your music was posted.

weewooweewoo  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Star Wars Rogue One Bamboozles You

This is one of those places where I feel like I'm outnumbered and will be outreasoned, but I will say that I've only enjoyed Star Wars as a major cultural institution to join into until I saw Rogue One. This movie made me care about the series in a way that I'm convinced I should go back and watch the other 6 again for enjoyment, not because I'm socially guilted to watch it.

This movie is perfect for the person who has never given a shit about Star Wars. The last 40 minutes on the planet (fuck, who cares what the planet's name was) were really stressful and exciting, because you don't actually know the ultimate fate of the protagonists because you only have a general sense of the storyline and you're not 100% sure that they're going to die at the end. It's a motherfucking suicide mission a la Saving Pirates of the Caribbean Ryan except this time, its all about establishing the most engaging cause and effect relationship through action sequences without feeling like they're in arbitrary situations and it leads to bam - the memory of watching Star Wars for the first time in your high school freshman AP English class to learn about Joseph Campbell's hero's cycle, and how it made you feel to watch this movie that all of your white friends were excited about who had parents who were more culturally adept than your own - and then you realize that Princess Leia, who's hair probably swirls in the opposite direction in Australia, looks a little off, and you wonder if that was a CGI rendering and you walk outside of the movie theater and your friends talk about how obvious the CGI was and you nod in agreement and say that you noticed right away, because Star Wars makes sense and feels whole and personal to you for the first time in your life - you feel like you understand, and that's what you remember about movies; not the names of the characters, but how those characters made you feel.

weewooweewoo  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I can't get over how dope this music video is.

Hoh shit, I didn't even make the connection of Jain and Die Antwoord. I fucking love them. The difference between the two is the way that I imagine the work between the two. In my head, both have to be story boarded, but Jain's video requires some working together with the director and the editor / animator in order to work.

goobster  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

Editors wield the real power.

Walter Murch is a brilliant and famous example. The RadioLab episode called +"Blink" has Murch talking about one of his interesting discoveries from his extensive film editing career.

It really can't be over-sold... anyone who has done any audio or video editing knows that there is a deep and visceral power held by the editor.

I've had the privilege of narrating a movie or two. And when I saw what the subtlest edits could do to the viewer... it was sobering. We really are machines, and we can be programmed and manipulated in scary-easy ways.

Admittedly, I'm still trying to figure out a way to do this without breaking the comments and the quizzes. I'll be sure to have it as an option when I figure it out.

I remember reading a room of ones own, which I think touches on this slightly? I don't really remember, the more I think about it. You made me realize I haven't read from a physical book in a year. Anyway, rooms of ones own.

I have an exgirlfriend who extremely independent- the type that would walk rather walk 3 miles at 0 degrees F in a suburban city where everyone keeps offering a ride, the type of person who purposefully obstructs themselves or refuses to be defined, the type of person who would disappear for a few days entirely and no one I knew would know where she is (she had stayed in bed reading for days)- but this is the way she liked it, and to know her is to accept that you will always wonder about her.

I always admired her, even from afar, we've kept in touch a lot more recently, since the consequences of our solitudes have become more parallel. There is a lot of trouble at work. There is a lot of fear of strangers. There is only added complexity in the storytelling we tell ourselves. We write to each other in cryptic ways because of our literary mindedness. Sometimes we devolve into just rhyming what the other person says. I don't think we actually understand each other.

I worry a lot that I come across as needy, because I don't have the emotional intelligence that she has. She brought up that she was coming to town awhile ago, but only just revealed to me that she's been in town for a week yesterday. I want to accuse of her of being a robot, only because I know that this is what triggers her worst anxieties- all of those closest to her eventually call her a robot. I don't envy those in isolation, because I often feel as though I am only a person to be juggled in her world.

weewooweewoo  ·  35 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Radio Garden

Exploring the stations in Europe is so fun. This station in Netherlands just started playing Smash Mouth's Rockstar, so it seems that you can't escape this meme no matter where you go:

weewooweewoo  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Today's Writing Prompt: Advice to a Poet

Thank you! I'm so excited going in.

Advice to a poet:

Sometimes you will come up with dumb jokes

That are too oblong to confide

Take thirty minutes to write around it

Its limitations will be your guide

The more hoops you jump, the more clever

Trap yourself onto a side

Copy and paste and reiterate

At least you can say that you tried

There is a dumb secret about language

It's mostly that its just wide

People are easily impressed

As long as your writing shows pride

lil  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wonderful to get this contribution all the way from Alaska!!

Good luck with the job interview.

Let me send you love, validation, and confidence from across the continent.

weewooweewoo  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you! I'm so excited going in.