Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
wasoxygen's comments
wasoxygen  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trail Racing in Bhutan

So did you eat anything at the feeding station?

Great report, looking forward to Part 2.

ButterflyEffect  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·

Only at the 20km feeding station, otherwise, I ate my own food which I had packed and brought into the country. At that aid station they had this really good chocolate/orange/rice crisp bar that was more of a sugary snack than anything else. I did make sure to take water at almost every feeding station, though!

Always a valid concern, and it looks like they made some effort to consider confounders.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
wasoxygen  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The 10,000 Year Clock Set for Installation in the West Texas Mountains

Here’s a source that is updated regularly; it’s another large-scale project that gets by without the profit motive.

Jeff Bezos is funding the clock.

The article mentions a new location in Nevada, as well as a great related Neal Stephenson book.

wasoxygen  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Backwards Brain Bicycle

"I Spent 7 Days Upside-Down"

wasoxygen  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 16, 2019

Enclaves and exclaves have all kinds of stories. A building in the Netherlands was once temporarily recognized as part of the U.K.

My image is a leftover fragment of an old railway.

wasoxygen  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: DIY Gray-Hoverman antenna

Oops. I had the (Sony Bravia) TV set for “cable” reception. When I turned that off and ran the auto-tune, all the local channels came in.

Just in time for the World Series.

wasoxygen  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 16, 2019

Europeans are weird.

veen  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·
applewood  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

Are you and veen showing enclaves? How do ones that small even happen?

wasoxygen  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·

My image is a leftover fragment of an old railway.

Oh, the sink test sounds great; I'll use that. I was going by shape to pick a winner. Now I see mk went for safety in numbers.

New plan: collect a dozen of the heaviest acorns available. Plant some in an indoor pot, and chill the rest for a month or two before planting.

wasoxygen  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Planning for Paris

You'd dig it the most.

The Louvre is huge, so I am sure there are many quiet corners where you could quietly contemplate the fine art, though it might be oil paintings of fruit and dead kings.

We stayed four nights. The main reason for the last-minute arrangements is that we travel standby, so we never know if we will even arrive. I also prefer to do more advance research, but many times we have changed the destination the day before based on flight loads.

On an earlier trip to Paris, we couldn't get on the JFK-CDG flight. We saw that there was a flight to London leaving in an hour, and figured that was close enough, got listed and got cleared. On arriving at Gatwick, we discovered that all the low-cost carriers flew out of Heathrow, or vice versa. A black cab was something crazy like £60, and the Underground was too slow and intimidating (without a smartphone).

We ended up taking the train, which wasn't cheap but worked out great. We arrived at the Gare du Nord and I booked a room using a pay phone and my prepared list of possible accommodations. Ready to settle in at last, we stepped outside to get a ride to the hotel and discovered a line around the block; the taxi drivers were on strike!

Sorry, this comment is private.
wasoxygen  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 2, 2019

Does your Oct 3 solution look like this?

mk  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well done, but nope! Also, it's Norwegian.

Okt 3 has more than one solution.

wasoxygen  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·

Here's another one.

I hate these things.

mk  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am having a heck of a time with Okt 6. Still unsolved.

I thought it would be a good puzzle to try and figure out from the photo how the months and dates are arranged underneath, but the two which are visible suggest that they are simply in order, with months on the first two rows and numbers 1-31 below.

Given that there is a solution for each month and date combination, it seems very unlikely that there would be a unique solution for each combination. Have you tried finding an alternate solution for a date?

mk  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·

I haven't tried an alternate solution. I will. Oct 3 was very difficult.

This is a good question for mike. I recall that he said an early prototype had a date without a solution.

wasoxygen  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·

Does your Oct 3 solution look like this?

mk  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well done, but nope! Also, it's Norwegian.

Okt 3 has more than one solution.

wasoxygen  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·

Here's another one.

I hate these things.

mk  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am having a heck of a time with Okt 6. Still unsolved.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.