a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
veen's comments
veen  ·  19 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: FT has opened their Coronavirus tracker

"As the story shifts, the charts shift."

If China is indeed lying their ass off, I think they changed their tactic on day 29.

kleinbl00  ·  17 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Ben Hunt over at Epsilon Theory argued that they were synthesizing the numbers out of whole cloth to begin with. I think now they're just making up numbers for more provinces so the data ends up more chaotic.

veen  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 1, 2020

1. Nope, although I might be asymptomatic (veeery light cough/sniff at times)

2. Yep, know like 3 people, 2 nearby and 1 daughter of a colleague with a confirmed case.

3. Thank goodness no

4. No consequences for me, other than that my girlfriend (who just graduated) doesn't have the best job prospects :(

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This Is Not the Apocalypse You Were Looking For

paging fanboi goobster

It’s the end of the world as we know it, and everything does feel fine—not fine like chill, but fine like china, like glass, like thread. Everything feels so fine, and so fragile, and so shockingly worth saving.

I began this article with an "ugh, who cares about what pop culture thought", but my attitude turned around as she went on and as her writing resonated more.

Been meaning to read Solnit's book about people coming together in disaster for a while now. Anyone read it perchance?

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I have a different take from the author. I don't see things as "fine" and "worth saving", I see 40% of my life one month ago being completely irrelevant and undesirable. Shit I'm going to jettison as soon as a I can muster enough care and energy to actually do something.

I'm shit at keeping in touch. My wife is constantly telling me about conversations she is having with people I genuinely love, but haven't spoken to in a year or more. We will get together with friends and have a beautiful time... and then I never contact them again.

That shit right there? That's gonna change.

Buying stuff instead of making it? Like food? Yeah. That's gonna change.

There is a LOT of Life Before Covid that is best left in the past. I'm looking forward to 6-9 months from now, when life is "back to normal" but "normal" is significantly different and more intentional than Life Before.

veen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Coronavirus Slowdown in Seattle Suggests Restrictions Are Working

Washington is way ahead of everyone, both in how far into the disease they are, as how well they're doing. Doubling only every 7 days instead of NY's 2.

veen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: NYT: We’re Sharing Coronavirus Case Data for Every U.S. County

Johns Hopkins uses WHO data, which other datasets dont for good reasons.

They’re not clear where they’re getting their county data from, though, even on their github. Might be that JH gets it from the NYT?

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 25, 2020

now is the time for the generalists

forreal tho - I’m super glad for having built my own swiss army knife of skills in These Times. I’ve seen some people’s specialist business just being decimated in the span of a week.

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 25, 2020

IIRC... you’ve had quite a few “I’m busting my ass of at work” Pubskis the past year. So maybe you can think of this period as Calmness Ying Weeks to your Busy Yang Weeks.

goobster  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

The pendulum swings mightily, doesn't it? :-)

I'm getting into the flow better today. Had a couple of video meetings yesterday and this morning, and it's been funny ... I can't even remember the industry terms we used for common things! I keep waving my hands... " You know... the thingie-thing that the customer has to fill out before the tech can go on site for the installation...? What is it called?"

But the cobwebs are falling away. I don't expect my workload to increase, though, so taking this all in the spirit of Ying, is a great suggestion. Love it.

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Coronavirus Is a Disaster for Feminism

I’m on the same page as you - I have little to add to your points. This is one of those articles that I share not because they’re good, but because I think there’s something worth discussing or examining here.

One, the pandemic is putting a lot of stress on households and relations, and this affects women differently from men. Two, women are likely pulling the shorter straw, due to their financial position being on average weaker. Three, what does this mean for feminism as a whole?

I don’t think the author does a good job of exploring those three points, and agree with you that she doesn’t underpin point three in particular. I’m unsure if it’s a disaster. Anecdotally, what I’ve seen is that when both parents can work from home the family efforts seem to be divided up just fine 50/50. Someone on Twitter made the point that the postwar wave of feminism was in no small part because during the war, women had to run businesses while the men were at the frontlines, and when those men came back the women didn’t want to give that new freedom back so easily. That sounds slightly oversimplified, but I do wonder if we’re now in a similar situation where a crisis like this one forces reevaluation of household division of labor.

For me it’s pushing me even more towards feminism. My girlfriend applied for graduation the other day, so this week was supposed to be the start of her looking for a job. I’m the sole breadwinner with economic crisis-resistant job prospects and phat savings. (For the record - I do my best to do half of the chores.)

In all likeliness her dependance on me is not gonna change soon - but it feels like a fragile arrangement. I now want more than ever for her to be financially independent of me. But I’m not sure if that’s the same in the rest of society, especially not on your side of the pond.

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm back

Well, everything before Monday afternoon was wonderful and phenomenal. So I still have had three awesome weeks of relaxation and hiking and Edinburgh exploration.

You’ll never know, but at least you’ll be near family and friends who can support you in times of need. My choice was a bit easier when it came to comparing health systems, but that was almost secondary to the desire to be near my people again.

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 25, 2020

One thing I only realized when I talked to my parents yesterday is that a lockdown is the best thing ever precisely for rural areas. Their province has only 10 cases on 650k people when our semi-lockdowns began. They're behind, so they benefit the most from blanket measures.

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 25, 2020

Linked pdf is worth reading.

mk bugski! Edit is weird, it removed the @ and moved the tweet up?

am_Unition  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Don't try to edit comments or posts with embedded tweets. It inverts the order of paragraphs. One of my favorite bugs so far.

mk  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hm. Will examine. Thanks.

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 25, 2020

Might be more effective to help figure out how to best re-use masks:

kleinbl00

b_b  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

A heartening email I received from a Emergency physician friend who spends half her time in the upper peninsula of Michigan, after I sent her the above info:

How about the small rural communities. I came back last week to Iron River, MI and quarantained at home, distance myself at much as possible...RURAL COMMUNITIES are completely defenseless. We have currently, because it is winter around 3000-4000 people, but we have only 4 vents and one need to stay clean for emergency surgeries. There are 4 ICU beds only. They only can be staffed for 3-4 days as per federal rules, which have not changed. The monther (sic) hospital in Wisconsin says they will make room for 50 more patients.... but Aspirus Hospital cover the whole western UP, this are about 50.000 to 70.000 mostly elderly people with various co-morbities! THIS IS NOT ENOUGH! [Our large hospital system in Detroit] has sufficient resources and can actually overbid other systems when it come purchasing power, here we do not have this. I fear we will have worse case fatality numbers than other countries, but we won't test, so we won't know.
veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

ecib  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting paper that suggest dry or steam sterilization at 121 C might be a kind of sweet spot for making masks re-usable. One hospital reported that 134 C deformed the masks, which is not desirable for re-use, but the 121 temp had good results.

Hospitals have autoclaves and could do this. Even a clothes steamer with mask in baggie would work nicely, though dialing in the temp might be finicky. I've seen some folks suggest dry heat from rice cooker as well. Even a pressure cooker I bet could get good results.

I've repurposed my 405nm resin curing light to cooking my mask, my keys and my phone. There's every evidence that sitting your mask under one of those nail-curing lamps ($20 on Amazon) will kill the SHIT out of coronavirus in 20 minutes.

b_b  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

In the doc that veen shared, they caution slightly against UV for the reason that it may degrade the masks after repeated exposure, although it was just as good for a single cleaning as heating.

Right but stickin'em over steam for ten minutes is gonna be fiiiiine.

They said that because the CDC, for some reason, is radically anti-UV sterilization and because since none of them know any fucking thing about materials science obviously their technique is superior.

Say dumb shit on twitter: scarmonger

say dumb shit on Elsevier: visionary

Creativity  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks veen!

b_b  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for this. Passed it on to my ER buddies

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Linked pdf is worth reading.

mk bugski! Edit is weird, it removed the @ and moved the tweet up?

am_Unition  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hm. Will examine. Thanks.

veen  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Now that we're all working from home...what does your setup look like?

Mine's an Ergotron, which is also great IMO.

veen  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm back

Good that you made it back. We ended up going from this

to "fuck we need to get out, I really don't want to get stuck" in less than an afternoon. Then we booked the soonest flight that we could reasonably get back, and waited anxiously for 48 hrs hoping we wouldn't develop symptoms in the meantime and hoping nothing got cancelled in the meantime.

goobster  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oof. Not much of a vacation for you, it seems. More stress than relaxation!

I just saw that Boris closed the UK today. Everything is on lockdown, no in/out. We kinda/sorta debated about staying in Inverness. The hotel was basically empty, but had to stay open. So we would have been the only people there, and the four staff that we had gotten to know. That's a pretty safe environment... Inverness doesn't see a lot of international tourist travel, but has the National Health safety net in place. So if we were asymptomatic, and in a place with no documented cases, and a quality health system... were we better off just bunkering there and waiting out the epidemic? Or come home - through at least 3 international airports - to a city/state already on lockdown, no effective healthcare system in place, and a Cheeto soaked in Mountain Dew leading the country?

I will always wonder if Inverness wasn't the right decision to make...

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not sure if it's still an option, but you can have mouse pads printed, for example with the text "I want my Sayl back".

The Aeron was an expensive purchase, but when I thought of it as "purchase to not kill my back, which is already weak AF from sitting in shitty office chairs since I was 8, any longer" it made more sense.

I went for a refurbished one and can reccomend it. As good as new, lots of spare parts and they last forever anyway, at like 1/3rd the price.