We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
veen's comments
veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I have a friend that just joined Hubski. What should they know?

You should've mentioned #goodlongreads! There's weeks of amazing reading in that tag. Maybe even read through the ol' Best Of lists: 2013, 2014, 2015. What they should also know is that there's always room on hubski for questions. If you don't know what to say, ask.

Pubski is an open, ongoing diary of the people of hubski. It shows the personal nature of this site, and it's precisely those people (not 'users' or some other dehumanizing word) that make the site what it is.

froggyflow  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Great tip (and tag suggestion), thanks! Surely I'll have questions and I appreciate the encouragement to ask away.

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-fi club no. 33: Blade Runner

I ended up watching the US Theatrical. I can see why it's hated, especially because it's not as essential as I thought it would be. The preroll text explains more than Harrison ever does.

edit: I meant the narration! Not the movie itself.

veen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: May 25th, 2017 was a day meant for a book thread.

Finally! I have been reading a ton in the last four weeks. I think I read more than a thousand pages (albeit in audio form).

After listening to Ezra Klein's conversation with Cal Newport, I devoured his book Deep Work in two days. It's a great book if you're the kind of person who likes good productivity books. He argues that the ability to do deep work, which is the kind of knowledge work that requires concentration (e.g. writing, programming, researching), is going to become one of the most important skills to have. He then gives a slew of tips, concepts and ideas on how to foster and improve on that type of work.

Throwing Rocks at the Google Bus by Douglas Rushkoff was up next, followed by Jaron Lanier's You Are Not a Gadget. I discussed those somewhere else already, but briefly: both are critiques of our current attitudes towards technology. The first half of Rushkoff's book would fit nicely in /r/Latestagecapitalism, the second half in /r/blockchain (which he sees as the solution to the capitalist ails of technology). Lanier has more intriguing ideas but they're definitely more 'out there'. I don't understand or don't agree with at least half of them. Don't regret reading it at all.

I then started reading Siddharta Mukherjee's The Gene, which I'm almost done with now - only 4 hours remaining of the 20 hours of audio. It's a fascinating account of the history of the gene, chronologically telling the story of gene science through the dozens of scientists who made it possible. He writes it in a way that's rich in detail yet always easy to follow - inquisitive, without dumbing things down too much.

Last week I found a list of book recommendations by Maria Popova, so I attempted reading the essay bundle The Abundance by Anne Dillard. The stories were nice but not as invigorating as I hoped for. I then read Black Hole Blues and Other Sounds from Space by Janna Levin instead, which I finished it yesterday. It is a wonderful book about gravitational waves and LIGO's development. The prose is fantastic; Levin does a great job of bringing the scientists alive. The book is arguably more about the people than about the science that brought them together.

In between I also read Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss. (On paper! How quaint.) There are lot of opinions to be had about Ferriss, but he does sometimes manages to inspire me and this book achieved that too. I do think he should package his book with a bag of salt - a few grains are not enough. Most of the advice in the book is entirely too esoteric for me or too generalizing to be useful, but the parts that I did like I liked a lot.

Up next, in whatever order I feel like / whatever advice you all give:

- American Kingpin by Nick Boltin

- Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil

- Time Travel: A History by James Gleick

- The Lonely City by Olivia Laing

- Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam (havn't read it fully yet)

- The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohllieben

- On the Move: A Life by Oliver Sacks

veen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

Awesome! Getting powerful feels so damn good. My previous gym had two squat racks and two bench racks... Most have at least a power cage. Insurance? Isn't that what all the machines are for? ;)

I bought two kettlebells, a floor mat and a smart scale for my home gym two weeks ago. My plan is to just build up the habit and keep it fun before I get more equipment and go on a bulk. Slow and steady. However... I've already lost 3 lbs just because I went from "eating whatever and no exercise" to "eating healthier and some exercise". I hope it plateaus soon, my BMI dropped to 19.7 yesterday.. .

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

We've got some power racks, but they see constant usage. Hard to get in, sometimes. Most people want to see (empty!) treadmills when they walk into a gym, I guess. I've used a form of "have" that implies "now", but that's how it is just about everywhere I've been for a solid decade, except for GLORIOUS CU Boulder.

Someday, I'm going to mortgage a house. Then, I will have payed for some percentage of a garage. Then, I will completely own a squat rack.

There's a fictional deity that may comprise an entirely too centralized portion of my general mentality, and his name is Coach. Coach is a hyper-dimensionally* ripped meathead who spots you at least 50% better than Jesus. Jesus won't make you beg for it like Coach will, but Jesus isn't getting massive gainz, is he? And Coach doesn't fucking care what you're training for. Coach just wants you to vomit before, during, and after your workout, every day, but he'll settle for once a year or so. Cool guy, Coach.

*nope

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

I know that it is inevitable and the sooner the better.

I have some quotes that I like on my fridge. One of them is "Doubt must come to an end".

rjw  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's good. OK I think I've got this.

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

The gist of or is this: Transportation planning is mostly about government bodies deciding where to allocate their resources based on the locations that they give the most priority. Setting priorities and distributing resources are inherently normative activities. Currently, planners prioritize and distribute resources based on their expectations of congestion and on cost-benefit analysis. Both of those methods are disproportionally favoured towards the non-poor. The book argues that a more fair transportation planning method should focus on population groups that suffer from the largest accessibility deficiencies.

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

As in muscle? Got a good bulk planned?

am_Unition  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's already underway! I've lost over 10 kilos since beginning grad school. It's been so rewarding to have already seen progress in two weeks. My body's like "bro, we got the blueprints, just lift big, eat big, sleep big". Wish I had even more time, but don't we all?

Yo, I remember your deadlift PR video from one or two years ago, and it was just about my own max at the time. Do you guys have all the squat racks somewhere across the pond? America has a national shortage. And I think I know why! Insurance. :D

veen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

*nope

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

I have to admit, I trusted Kraken for a long time, but made the switch to MEW recently. Awesome service you guys have made! 💪💪

(Only thing I found a bit confusing about the UX was the large amount of stuff you get and need to keep. Wasn't entirely clear what it was all for. Wallet files, pks, passwords... But I tried it out with a throwaway wallet before I did the real deal.)

insomniasexx  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah we're streamlining next version...a LOT.

Biggest challenge has been trying to build a product for 50% power users / airgapped / security experts and 50% people who don't speak english and don't have any idea of what they are doing or even that they should maybe perhaps save something.

😩

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

Awesome! Wish I could've been there. I've been staring at this screen for the last hour or two - I found a bit of time to dabble in Mist / Solidity. The hope is that a bit of smart contract literacy can give me a better sense of how dapps work and if they're worth their salt.

insomniasexx  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Maybe you should use that other crappy wallet that some weirdos made....what's its called? myetherwallet or some shit? 😉

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

insomniasexx  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah we're streamlining next version...a LOT.

😩

insomniasexx  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh! Or you can beta our new product. I believe one of our new hires is going to be PRing a bunch in this weekend, but feel free to give it a go. It works on my computer. :)

You may need to send me your IP address so I can whitelist you. Not sure the status of our DDOS protection. It was a bit overprotective for a bit.

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think fluency in Solidity will become a very valuable asset.

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

It's this one. Here's a taste of it. I found it fascinating because the book was written specifically for transport planners, providing a concrete methodology for prioritizing transport measures based on principles of justice and equality. Basically, the book felt like it was written for me. If all goes well, I'll be Skyping with the author next week to get some input on my ideas.

snoodog  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

lol what "justice" over transportation. Thats a thing? I don't get it

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's rad. At the same time, I think I'll let you read it.

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

Thesis

My thesis is definitely picking up steam. I found this fascinating book on transport justice, advocating a methodology to transportation planning based on principles of justice and accessibility. I rewrote my proposal again because of that book. Next Monday my thesis committee will discuss my proposal, here's to hope they like it.

Moving

The same day I found out the source of the infrequent sewage odor in my room, I also got the confirmation that the studio I was looking at will be mine. Finally I can have my own place, one that doesn't literally smell like shit and looks like a run-down haunted house in the hallways. I have yet to know the precise studio in the complex but I already know for sure it'll be somewhere between the 16th and 22nd floor, which means I can enjoy a kickass view whenever I want. I'm considering lasercutting a map of everything visible from my window.

what's the book

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

snoodog  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

lol what "justice" over transportation. Thats a thing? I don't get it

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's rad. At the same time, I think I'll let you read it.

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Middle Aged Men and Friends

It's a book written in 2000 based on a paper by his in the nineties. Right now it's mostly a good metaphor for a societal pattern.

veen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Middle Aged Men and Friends

Interesting that you use the word performing. In Dutch (I don't know if it's the same in English), 'to wear a mask' refers to acting unlike your true self, often used to describe people in social or corporate settings. One has different masks for different settings. I think a lot of people, myself included, wear their masks more often than they would want. I've always struggled with revealing my truer, incomplete and imperfect self to the people around me - the fear of rejection by my peers has long been one of my greatest fears.

When I went to Canada as an exchange student, I both had a lot of time on my own to reflect and had the freedom to be myself to everyone. I won't say it wasn't a struggle at times, but I do think it made me realize that I can be at peace with myself. That the masks aren't really necessary. Becoming at peace with oneself is a long and arduous process, but every process has a first step.

“Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” - not Dr. Seuss.
goobster  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

...the masks aren't really necessary...

Even more importantly, everyone NOT wearing a mask can see everyone who IS wearing a mask. Rooms becomes WAY more interesting when you aren't "performing", and just being genuine, because then you can watch everyone else performing.

Which is really everyone just announcing their own insecurities at the top of their lungs. Like monkeys in a cage, man...

katakowsj  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Agreed....Monkeys slinging their own poop. Not as likely to attract the interest of other as those monkeys that are comfortable enough to just "be". I'll strive a bit more to be the latter.

veen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Toyota, Merck Join Ethereum Group to Build Blockchain Network

What does it mean to be an ETH token? It has its own value (about $.40 now), so it isn't tied to ETH in its value, right?

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

ETH tokens are basically tagged bits of ETH that track ownership/participation in a Dapp/contract. I believe that different tokens represent different amounts of ETH, but that they are all quite small. I need to look into that. Their value isn't directly tied to ETH's, no.

Interesting dapp - I'm sure there are already a bunch of people diversifying over multiple altcoins. Do you think any of the other altcoins have merit (e.g. concepts that can't be implemented in Eth)? Golem looks useful but I don't see why it's not just a dapp instead of being a different coin.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think Golem could be very useful. It's an ETH token, like Augur, Gnosis, etc. Having a token gives them a method to raise funds, and also some greater control of the resource, and payments.

veen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·