a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
veen's comments
veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 360th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

Lots of James Blake this week.

And some new Caribou:

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What was the best album of 2019

Vampire Weekend's Father of the Bride, or Tyler's IGOR? Couple of okay/decent albums (Anderson Paak, Chet Faker) but nothing that really stood out. 2018 had much better releases IMO.

scissortail  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·

IGOR is absolutely a contender, Tyler really came out of left field with that one. He totally made that style his own and paired it with some personal, heartwrenching lyrics. Between IGOR and Flower Boy he's really proving himself to be one of the best MCs in the game.

veen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 4, 2019

With all the conferences and talks and project presentations I've been doing this fall, I've always had a Next Thing In A Week or Two to work towards. That series of sprints ended with my trip to Belgium recently. Now I just have one minor presentation this Monday and then it's waiting for Christmas break to kick in. It's funny, as soon as short-term urgent matters drop to the wayside and I have some space to ponder my plans I always seem to overshoot and end up at the Big Questions of Life and What to Do with It.

It doesn't help that it's the end of the year. Maybe I'll write another reflection like I did the past two years, that was a useful exercise to do.

veen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 4, 2019

If you haven't checked out Matt Colville's YouTube series called Running the Game, you're missing out. There's no need to watch it in order; pick and choose the topics that you want to improve on and watch those. TTRPG's are so much richer, fuller, and fun when you tie everything into the settings' world, instead of cardboard cutouts to slash in a row.

kingmudsy  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Haha maybe this is surprising since I've never GM'ed, but I've seen every single one of those videos... :)

veen  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Craft Fair v0.0 - December 3, 2019 (WIP)

I made this the other day!

It's a polar space-time diagram, visualizing a train route's timetable throughout 24 hours of a weekday. The inside of the donut is one end station at s = 0km, and the train moves from station to station (the grey rings at 10, 21,... km) towards the other end station (at 50km), where it turns around and goes the other way. Outbound trains in red, inbound in blue. There's one train that goes end to end each half hour, and another train that goes halfway and back again every twenty minutes, creating this braided inner donut look.

Made it by mangling a timetable in Excel, loading it into Python with Pandas and visualizing it with Matplotlib which can do weirdass plots like this because ofc it can. cc kleinbl00 can I order this as a GMT clock kthxbaii

Other creative project of mine is that I'm learning Reaper and making electronic music with fortnightly private lessons. My track so far is still unquestioningly in the ass-sucking phase, but I feel like I'm really quick at picking up the ropes.

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bugski: deleted? post showing up in "previous posts"

Most likely a SQL statement with an exception that wasn't handled, so something on the serverside.

veen  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Slate's 50 Best Nonfiction Books of the Past 25 Years

We did discuss it here, but I couldn't find it by that title.

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Rep. Adam Schiff’s full closing statement in Hill and Holmes hearing

So I've not been following the news for the past two weeks. Does anyone here know a good out-of-the-loop / what-the-hell-is-happening resource?

I would say that at the level of "foreigner attempting to keep abreast" there isn't too much minutiae and inside baseball you need to be on top of. Here's the basix:

- Democrats win the House

- Trump makes an extremely ill-advised phone call informing the President of Ukraine that Ukraine needs to announce investigations of Hunter Biden in order to get Javelin missiles Congress already released to them

- President of Ukraine agrees to go on CNN

- Whistleblower goes through channels, lawyers up, and informs the House about the phone call

- Ukraine doesn't go on CNN, missiles are released, House calls closed-door hearings, Republicans throw a temper tantrum insisting on public hearings, get exactly what they asked for, everything turns out worse than expected

I mean, you knew about all that. Everything else has been witness after witness confirming that what we knew happened happened and Republicans attempting to make things as boring as possible. There have been highlights - Schiff reading Trump's intimidating tweets into the record so they can try him on witness tampering, Democratic representatives questioning Thumbhead so that they can try Trump on bribery, Schiff entering documents that directly implicate Sean Hannity, Giuliani's Russian thugs directly implicating Devin Nunes - but mile-high view, we knew months ago that the entire Trump administration was illegally pressuring Ukraine for political purposes and we now have congressional testimony that the entire Trump administration was illegally pressuring Ukraine for political purposes.

None of this is controversial. That's basically Adam Schiff's point in the testimony above. None of this shit surprises anyone, all of it had been previously disclosed in closed hearings (so why the fuck did the Republicans demand that it be public?). The Republican argument basically boils down to "Who cares?"

Handy Excuses for Nixon Backers

am_Unition  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Feel free to ask hubski’s resident crackpot impeachmentboi (me) if you need clarification.

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 20, 2019

It was maybe the most enjoyable conference I have attended? Small-scale, quite a lot of familiar faces, and the biggest congregation of people who think about this topic I've seen yet. I was one talk in a series of six about the topic.

It was all in drunk Germ-...I mean, Dutch though. Would be hard to understand for you...

Dala  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hmmm, yeah. I might have picked up about four words the whole conference, but it sounds like it was a well-thought-out event. You weren’t boring a bunch of people who had no interest in what you had to say.

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Slate's 50 Best Nonfiction Books of the Past 25 Years

Coulda sworn we discussed that on here somewhere. Yes, that's the list.

veen  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

We did discuss it here, but I couldn't find it by that title.

Yeah, I think I managed to read the first chapter or two before I noped out of that one. His newer book on time travel had been recommended to me as well, but The Information left a bad taste in my mouth so I doubt I'll ever get to it.

On the idea of fairness in transportation. The benefits of transportation are not always distributed fairly over people and places. The way we plan transportation has inherent flaws and assumptions that lead to structural injustices if not properly counterbalanced. It's normal to think of fairness when we're talking about healthcare, or education, or other public goods, but transporation is traditionally spared from such concerns.

Dala  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’m kinda sad that I am not at this conference.

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dala  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bridgewater has just bet a billion and a half on a March recession.

It feels to like we’ve been talking about the impending crisis for the better part of the past two, three years. I know markets stay irrational for much longer than seems plausible, but at the same time I’m also starting to think that there’s been some interesting pushbacks on the parts of our current economic system that seem to be the most risky. WeWorks’ dropped value and the Feds money pump come to mind.

Is it even possible that the adults in the room have learned from the previous crisis and we can stave it off pretty well, or do you think there’s something fundamentally broken that prevents us from entering some sort of post crisis era like we were promised in the nineties and zeroes?

That's the question, isn't it? Is this the new normal?

Here's what I know:

- the newsletter writers have started doing lifestyle pieces.

- the economic alerts are always about this-or-that individual stock going up, or they're about this-or-that index going up.

- the economic models we have predate the task economy.

- there is no economic consensus on whether the task economy even exists.

I also lived through the recession of 1980, knew guys who made a killing in the crash of '87, had most of my classmates wiped out by the dot com boom in 2000 and was painfully aware of the real estate crisis in 2007 before it ate the world. The early stuff? I mean, I was there but it's not like I was paying too much attention to it in 7th grade. 2000 I dodged and 2007 I profited handsomely off of I just didn't expect the world to end with it.

History doesn't repeat itself but it does rhyme and the one economic constant is reversion to the mean. Those aren't justifications, they're excuses but when someone says "this time it's different" it almost never is.

I think the real question is how much the government is willing to prop up the stock market, and how much the stock market is willing to be propped up by the government. From that perspective this time it is different because the world has never dealt with negative interest rates before, the world has never dealt with cryptocurrency before, the world has never dealt with Markov bots before, the world has never dealt with high frequency trading before. As to the adults in the room? There isn't anyone with enough control to do more than add or subtract sand grains from the pile.

I don't know. I know the economy is currently being traded by HFT bots trained on previous data and operating a picosecond at a time which certainly can't take too long a view on macro, and I know that macro can't get a clean read on players operating a picosecond at a time. But I also know that when I drink from the firehose of available data I see a lot of warning signs that make me nervous, and I've been nervous before.

But then, you're right. I've been nervous for about three years now.

goldbludgeon  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·

So what do you believe will happen if say the market dips? You thinking Great Depression like conditions or something along the lines of the recession in 2009?

I dunno. More than that, I don't think anybody else does, either. We're at the point where it wouldn't be crazy to see the Fed buying up equities. Then what happens?

The Fed's balance sheet, its willingness to add to it and the historically low cost of lending worldwide are new things under the sun. Anybody trying to project out from where we are now is delving more into geopolitics and psychohistory than economics or investing. I hate the phrase "black swan event" because it implies that shit rushes up out of nowhere but in this case I think it can reasonably be argued that there aren't a lot of relevant prior examples to extrapolate from.

Gotta keep the lights on somehow.

veen  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 20, 2019

Just arrived in my hotel in Belgium. There's a two day conference starting tomorrow that I'm also speaking at, and I'm pretty stoked about it. Someone said that a conferences' value is almost entirely based on its ability to bring together interesting peopke, and so far this may be the best conference I've attended in that regard. Relatively small crowd (160 ish), and every attendee must have contributed an essay so it's only those who really care who attend. Bytheway - if one ever needs public speaking tips, I found this neat overview.

Saw Vampire Weekend yesterday. They were pretty baller, the show went in a bunch of interesting directions, from hard rock to punk to a love song, all with a sense of fun that's hard to explain.

Dala  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the speaking tips, that’s timely as hell, friend! And have fun at your conference, may we ask what topic you are speaking on?

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dala  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’m kinda sad that I am not at this conference.

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·