veen's comments
veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 344th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Howdy, Hubski! What culinary crimes is your home infamous for?

Dutch mayonnaise is generally sweeter than American mayo, IIRC. Especially Zaanse Mayonnaise.

Now that I think of it - there’s something worse. I love patatje oorlog, which most definitely is an acquired taste.

HOW HAVE I NOT KNOWN ABOUT WAR FRIES UNTIL NOW

veen  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Morning, Hubski. How do you motivate yourself to do something difficult?

“Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.” - Mark Twain

“If your solution is ‘try harder’ or ‘be more careful’ you can go fuck yourself.” - unknown

Sometimes I'll actively think through the worst case scenario. It's often less awful than my fear imagines it to be. Usually when something's difficult for me, it's difficult to start. Sometimes I need to actively remind myself of why I'm doing that thing in the first place. Sometimes I use the 'mindless' approach; I just need to get into the motions, I just need to get moving and then I'll be fine, so I find whatever mindless thing will get me an inch closer to my goal and do that.

veen  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Ridiculous Fantasy of a ‘No Drama’ Relationship

'Drama' is too grand a word to convey the meaning of what is being signalled, which I would describe as somewhere between 'annoying personality' and 'relationship bullshit'.

But when heterosexual men say they’re looking for something “drama-free,” I suspect they want something that doesn’t exist: a problem-free partnership with someone who has no life experience.

My gripe with the article is that I think she is reading too much into it. We're talking dating profiles here, which are at best an array of vectors that point to a personality. The musings that follow, then, are truisms that don't really add much.

veen  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Know thine enemy, because they are fuckwits and crafty with their words

Props to the Vox author for responding carefully and comprehensively to accusations of misrepresentation. I do wonder if it will make a difference, though, as the audience this piece is talking to and the audience Wax is addressing probably do not in any way overlap.

Taking a step back, this seems to me like an inevitable response to the inevitable decline of the white majority. Losing their majority, those who most valued holding it seem to be going through the stages of grief. This appears to be the transition from anger to bargaining. (But maybe that's a generalization too broad to really capture what's happening.)

goobster  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's what really struck me about the article, as well. The precision of his response, and total avoidance of any of the typical name-calling and ad hominem attacks that seem to be the conservatives only remaining debate tools.

He went high, and should be recognized for that.

wasoxygen  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·

typical name-calling

veen  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: OPEN DISCUSSION DEM DEBATE TONIGHT

When Trump entered office I followed US politics much more closely for a while. It took me a while but reading Fire & Fury was for me the moment I decided I did not get anything of value out of this soap opera. I still care about the bigger picture, but there's not much interesting IMO here unless you're into political speculation.

The bigger picture that I do find interesting is that it seems to me is how radically left the Dems can or cannot be. I wonder what the party would look like with more AOC's at the top.

veen  ·  77 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: General Knowledge Norms, Updated.

There’s different things one can take away from this, like how incredibly fast the percentage of correct answers drops off. I found it interesting primarily because it so clearly shows just how my perception of general knowledge diverts from the norm; whether there was any through line in what kinds of questions I got right more often versus what I got wrong more often. (Geography/science and movies/pop culture, respectively.) I was surprised to learn that 18% of those asked think Africa is a country, and that more people knew about a chameleon than about a compass.

Plus it’s a fun game to play with one’s SO.

Yeah- I dispute the "general" in "general knowledge."

veen  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Opting out of US airport facial recognition will require a passport

Bad news if you’re not an American: you will not be allowed to opt-out.

“Once the biometric exit program is a nationally-scaled, established program, foreign nationals will be required to biometrically confirm their exit from the United States at the final [boarding] point,” said CBP spokesperson Jennifer Gabris in an earlier email to TechCrunch. “This has been and is a Congressional mandate,” she said.

Fuck that shit, that's what international passports are for. Jesus, the US already has all of my fingerprints 3 times over, my social security number, they now need to know where and with whom you're staying for ESTA. Hell, they even know when, where and from which IP I booked my flight. Give it a few years and they will make the now-optional 'social media accounts and passwords' mandatory too.

There is no need for hackers, the US government literally already has everything to steal my identity already.

veen  ·  133 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Currency of Being Good in China

Was gonna post this interactive article, which shows how the Uyghur are repressed.

There's videos out there of facial recognition being used to fine and penalize people who ignore traffic lights while walking. What do you think the end goal of these systems is? To what extent will they go? It seems to me that it's just slowly going to increase over time until everything is monitored, controlled, and corrected.

I think the monitoring is secondary. The principle function is intimidation.

It's about as far from Hong Kong to Xinjiang as it is from Seattle to Anchorage. Except Anchorage speaks another language, worships another god, and has another heritage. Kinda like it did 100 years ago. The US did heinous crap to everyone indigenous until the indigenous people were mostly gone; the old colonial powers get to appeal to the moral high ground now because all their crimes against humanity are past the statute of limitations.

China wants a unified "China" to take on the rest of the world. They have neither the time nor the patience for anything but homogeneity. Historically, China has not been about individualism or change; one of the tenets of Confucianism is that technological progress is an affront to the divine perfection of the Now and that spirituality lives in continuity.

I read an interesting book last year.

The mile-high conventional wisdom on the Opium Wars is "Britain fired cannons at the Chinese over their right to sell drugs." The conventional wisdom is bullshit. The reality of the situation is the Chinese allowed everyone to trade in a tiny little corner, under tight supervision, subject to revocation at any time, and no one was allowed to leave. The Chinese were the acknowledged rulers of all the world, they accepted foreign tribute, and they'd occasionally suffer the British because the British bought a bunch of tea. However, a great deal of trade off the books occurred in opium, because the Chinese weren't officially allowed to trade in opium, so they unofficially traded in opium, until the Chinese got a new ruler, who decided opium was the worst thing that ever happened to China and that it was also all the fault of the English, so he confiscated all the opium and blockaded the English.

In effect, the Opium Wars were the Chinese saying "Who run Bartertown?" and the English saying "not fuckin' you lot" and the Chinese launching on a decades-long quest of soul searching and recrimination over having lost their position as the center of the universe. Mao was their first real strike back against the West. Then they shifted to a market economy under Xiaoping. Now they're making a run at being a world power; the Japanese determined during the Taisho period that with the West, your choice is empire or colony; the Chinese were an empire, became a colony, and would like very much to be an empire again.

veen  ·  200 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Cal Newport on Why We'll Look Back at Our Smartphones Like Cigarettes

I think I'm coming down to thinking of tech more and more like a utility. I mean - my homescreen is full of apps that give me instant access to a lot of knowledge. That's not a bad thing.

What is bad is that so many people resort to their smartphones at the slightest hint of boredom, that we are now assumed to be always connected and available, and that apps try to mimick social cues to get people to spend more time liking, hearting and swiping. Remember the original iPhone presentation? It was pitched like a phone, an iPod and a web browser. A decade of feature creep later and it can now do pretty much whatever you want. You can be fully connected to the world, to your colleagues, to your friends, at any moment. Which makes them distracting sonsabitches and leads to the aforementioned problems.

I don't believe in abstaining or shunning the tech, because it still has too much utility for that. It kinda feels like throwing your Swiss army knife in the garbage because you keep cutting yourself with one of its blades, even though the other tools are still useful.

The question that is now still out in the open for me is this: what role do I want this tech to have in my life? "Everything"(i.e. unconstrained techno-maximalism) clearly hasn't worked out. "Nothing" is dumb too. So I'm looking for a healthy, productive middle ground.

katakowsj  ·  198 days ago  ·  link  ·

Agreed. A person can place the blame all they like on the sources of temptation, but however we slice it, the burden always falls on us, the consumer, to manage the use of technology, alcohol, food, or whatever could become our personal time suck.

I expect our Paleolithic ancestors had to deal with the same stuff in a different context.

Maybe it went like this, “Me, Grog have leg injury from last mastodon hunt. Me need rest to recover. Jackass tribe mates telling me of upcoming mastodon hunt. They tell me of glory of rest of tribe if I go on upcoming hunt of my life. They post cave painting of past success and what future mastodon hunt will look like without me.”

FOMO is invented. Grog must decide to stay home responsibly and survive, or go chasing glory.

veen  ·  202 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 30, 2019

Had one of my first ski lessons this week, on one of those carpet conveyor belt like things. Reminded me of how the best learning devices are as difficult as they are rewarding. If all goes well I will feel confident enough to ski with fun the yearly company ski trip this March. And I wanna surprise the gf with an indoor ski day for Valentines, cause I know she really likes skiing but hasn't done it in ages.

elizabeth  ·  202 days ago  ·  link  ·

I feel it only takes a couple days of skiiing before you can go down the easy slopes pretty confidently. It's pretty intuitive once you get into it - the trick is just to zigzag to slow down instead of trying to go straight down and brake pizza-style.

Winter sports are the only thing making winter bearable right now, enjoy!

veen  ·  202 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, we went for a week of skiing it wouldn't be an issue, but it's only 3 days of skiing. Last year was my first skiing holiday, and it was more perilous than I hoped - for some stupid reason a blue ski run can mean anything between 'kids playground' and morituri te salutant almost-black steepness in Austria. (Green doesn't exist.)

It's so bad I have been considering writing code that can pre-analyze and rank the steepness of ski runs based on DEMs for me.

I had ski lessons, but once confidence is lost it's really hard to get it back when you're on a steep as shit slope and dreading your next move. Only on the third day did I figure out which ski runs are good to practice on, and by that time it was already nearly too late. All I want this year is to whizz down a mountain at a slow and comfortable pace without breaking anything.

veen  ·  246 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Minimalism

veen  ·  246 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It's been too long! Book thread time. What have you been reading?

That book might pair well with the key advice I took away from that Scott Adams book:

I've grown very fond of the idea that small changes held onto for a long time are the key to systemic changes in life. It has something zen to me; it's okay to not be at your goal yet if you're doing something to actually get there.

Speaking of sleep, I think you might enjoy the Matthew Walker book I'm reading now. He basically argues that sleep is a panacea of health benefits and the key to a longer, happier, smarter, more productive life. (And if it seems like too large a book, you can read the chapters in any order you like, although I do recommend reading the first three chapters as they cover the basics.)

are y'all having a collective mental breakdown or wha

am_Unition  ·  251 days ago  ·  link  ·

t?

Good to know I can call myself a nine-percenter. Anyone else played with negative numbers?

am_Unition  ·  253 days ago  ·  link  ·