a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
veen's comments

I created the Wayfarers rpg in 2008, and released a second edition in 2012.

I didn't think I could think any better of you, but here we are. Knowing only 5e and a bit of Call of Chtuhlu: what do you think of 'regular' D&D? Design-wise, what were you going for with yours?

mk  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Aw shucks. Wayfarers originated from a skill system derivation of 1E and 2E that our group played for about 12 years across several campaigns. Most feedback is that it has the spirit of 2E but the flexibility of a skill system.

The first edition of Wayfarers was a bit too tight in terms of variance, and it’s a total pc killer. It also has a couple oddities that were simplified in the second print.

One of my favorite mechanics is proficiency checks. They are graded I to IV, and You roll 1d20 for each grade you have and keep the highest roll. Non-proficient checks roll 2d20 and keep the lowest. Keeping the 1-20 range reduces target number creep and bonus bloat.

I’ll send you PDFs. If anyone else wants them, let me know.

All that said, this is my magnum opus:

Devac  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’ll send you PDFs. If anyone else wants them, let me know.

Count me in.

kingmudsy  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

A USEFUL TREATISE ON POLEARMS killed me. Sent that to my DM, shared a hearty laugh - thanks mk :)

mike  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Unicorns are kind of lame.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Glad you enjoyed. I definitely wasn’t writing for a broad audience. :)

veen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 19, 2020

Final few days of work before my 4+ weeks of joyous uninterrupted holiday begins. Noticed for perhaps the first time in forever that I didn't even have the time to read Hubski the past few days, so that's telling.

Mostly working my ass off to make sure nothing goes wrong while I'm away, both at work and during our trips. I'm the kind of person who sends out longass emails with relevant info and who has pages of travel notes in a shared GDocs with my gf. People underestimate what miracles good planning can do, though, so I'm not regretting my choices, just wishing I had more hours in a day.

Gaming, lasercutting, subway map design, model trains at some point, gliding, kyokushin karate, tennis, running. Learned something valuable from all of them. Turned a few hobbies into work like programming and mapmaking.

veen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Craft Fair v2.5 - February 14, 2020

Can you untag me for a while? I'll be gone for a month and will be doing mostly home improvement the weeks thereafter, so not much music making for me unfortunately.

kingmudsy  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

For sure, I'll update it when the next one goes up!

veen  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 12, 2020

So the good news is that I survived storm Ciara in a moving van! It was...tense to drive such a big rental truck empty with 6BFT side wind. We were very quick with the loading and unloading of the truck, so we were at our destination at like 1pm, just before the wind was said to be picking up even more. My usually clean and minimalist bedroom/office is now a cacophony of materialism with boxes and stuff from my girlfriend everywhere that fits. It's only for a week or two like this, then I'll be going on a long holiday and when I'm back my roommates should be almost done moving out. So then we have 1000sqft all to our own, which I am really looking forward to because it's a bit tight with the four of us now.

This week and the next is one big f'n sprint to get everything done before I leave. Right now it looks like I might have not one, but two work trips the two weeks after I return - one to NY Geo in Albany where we might show off our geothermal tool, and one to Bilbao to show off another tool. Both tools are not done but should be finished by the time I'm back. Both tools are under my control, so I need to step up my delegation game and get as far as I can while I'm not gone yet.

I'm really looking forward to my holidays. We've planned an awesome trip to Edinburgh, the Highlands and London, with a day in York as we head southward. And the Eurostar back to the Netherlands from London. Go trains!

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski, February 5, 2020

I'm rushing through the Ruhr valley at 300kph on the German high speed train network, on my way back from our yearly company ski trip to Austria. After weeks of mild weather and little to no snow, the weather decided to drop all snow all at once with 8-9 BFT wind and some rain to go by. So I had one day of wet snow skiing, and one day of braille-skiing as my colleague called it (visually impaired, all white, and only being able to trust your extremities). But it went pretty darn good! My skiing lessons have definitely paid off, and I have made some damn good progress in these two years.

We had a 40 minute transfer time in Zurich today. I couldn't help myself but spend my first time in Switzerland buying a new watch that I've been eyeing for forever now; a small Mondaine watch in the SBB station clock design style. It fits my incredibly small wrist well (I recently found out my wrist diameter is a notch smaller than my girlfriends' wrist), and I not only love the design because it signals my love of trains but also because it's incredibly easy to read the time on quickly.

Yesterday the skiing weather was so sucky (not only iced up pistes, but also severe avalanche warnings and even more rain) that I finally got around to finishing up the submission details for my academic paper and handing it in to the journal. Fingers crossed! I kind of expect it to be thrashed, but let's see. I have something I'm proud of and that's what matters.

Cumol  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

how could you just rush through Heidelberg and not drop-in for a coffee??? I live next to the train station :D

veen  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

I had no idea! We called at Mannheim but raced past Heidelberg. (ICE72 Basel - Frankfurt) Plus there were like seventy of us - don't know how much coffee you can make but it probably wouldn't fit. ;)

Cumol  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Our last party had about 100 people. Space is no issue :D

If you find yourself in these corners again, let me know :)

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 370th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

veen  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Craft Fair v2.0 - January 29, 2020

I finally got Native Instruments Komplete 12 in the mail. So I figured I'd install it in a bit. However, for reasons unknown to me it takes NI a good hour or six to unzip 200GB of files from one USB3.0 disk to another and run a few updates, so I'm hoping it'll be installed before I go to bed today. (-_-')

I'm itching to get to play with it. Over the weekend I've been watching a bunch of tutorials on the various tools that are in it and I am very impressed by the possibilities alone.

Other than that, I've had another D&D session the other day. Surprising absolutely no-one, I love to make maps for my battles and locations.

Don't worry it's gonna spend another eight hours updating as soon as it's installed.

My library had a giant book called "the history of graphical information presentation" or something like that. I thought of you.

veen  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah I'm gunna let it run all night, maybe that'll be enough time to massage the ones and pamper the zeroes or whatever the hell it's preoccupied with.

There are a bunch of mediocre coffee table books around with /r/dataisbeautiful levels of incompetence. Some are actually good, but they're usually not the ones I find in bookstores or libraries.

veen  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 22, 2020

Rocky week. Seemingly out of nowhere, my company has been taken over by a big (20x nationally, 200x internationally) consultancy firm. On paper it's a hostile takeover. It was decided entirely behind closed doors by our shareholders, and that did not land well - we value transparency, candour and working together with all things internal, and this is the direct opposite of that. Lots of coworkers specifically joined our company so to not work for one of the big consultancy firms in our field. Myself included.

I happened to figure it out earlier, so I had some more time to think about it (/go through all stages of grief). My conclusion is that I'll be fine ( - maybe even more than fine)? But a large part of what I like about my work is that it's filled with interesting, engaged people who hate corporate BS as much as I do. I worry about the rest, the team, what will happen when 10, 20% decides to leave after a year. The longer people have been around, the more negative their attitude towards this change. We've changed before - in my two years here we grew from 55 to nearly 90. But we have kept a common denominator alive, and I'm worried about that. Rubbing against Boring, Inc. will definitely change things one way or another, as much as they're emphasizing that they don't want to change much because we're doing so well already.

In other news, I had my final private lesson in electronic music creation yesterday, which was a good change of pace. My teacher had a room full of synths and modules and he showed me some of his beats and work process.

My girlfriend and I also booked our tickets for our Scotland trip. We're going there by ferry and back by train - I was adamant to not fly there. It's funny, the time it takes me with the Eurostar from London to Rotterdam is a good ten minutes longer than it used to take me to travel from one corner of the Netherlands to the other. Already looking forward to that trip! I'll be out of office for a good four weeks in total.

veen  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Craft Fair v2.25 - February 6, 2020

The good news is that Komplete 12 is all up'n'running. The bad news is that my Focusrite decided to stop working for no goddamn reason, so today I had to send my 7th email to get the return process going. Which means that I can't listen to audio on anything good enough for a while. Booo.

But alas, I made another demo. This is two hours of fiddling around with some of the candy I found in NI's candy shop. It's unmixed and doesn't have a well thought out song structure. I just like how the sounds fit when they all come together.

Mostly I've been thinking about what it means to have a sound. I still don't have a good idea of what music I want to make, I just know that I like to make stuff. When I design anything else, I usually some design aesthethic / ethos / philosophy / principles that resonates with me and that I use to bring more focus to what I make. I feel like I'm nowhere near that with making music.

What I do know is that I am very heavy on beats and rhythms. Which makes sense, since as a kid I spend years playing drums. I had talent for it - my teacher really didn't want me to quit, but I did so all I got was this penchant for beats. Out of all the tools that Komplete has, the synth Rounds has piqued my interest the most now. I have yet to figure it out (haven't read the manual just yet), but I'm thinking of digging my heels into that tool, making songs with those sounds and see where it leads me.

veen  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 15, 2020

Made a bunch of progress on the ground source heat pump tool we’re building. I devised a way to check for all 250k+ parcels in the county how many boreholes could theoretically fit. 1 borehole means a 30ft standing column, so the question is how many points at least 60ft apart fit into a parcel. It works pretty well!

My roommates also made a bid on a house, which got accepted today. So my plans of moving in with my girlfriend seems to perfectly coincide with them moving out, which is just perfect. Then we’ll have this bigass apartment just for the two of us. My mind is already thinking of all the things I want to change or add.

Foveaux  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

Our flatmates bought their house the same time my girlfriend and I moved into our own house and it is truly awesome having your own space and things to alter. Like I miss these flatmates, one I had lived with for the past 7 years or so, even traveling to Australia with him! But now there's that wonderful sense of knowing you aren't in anyone's way. The only other person I need to take into account is my girlfriend.

Bliss! Enjoy it :)

I wanted to post this too. There's a few red flags that makes me doubt their prowess, but it seems this is exactly what happens when people with no morals go into facial recognition tech.

am_Unition  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sure, that might lead to a dystopian future or something, but you can’t ban it.

Anyone who says that? Fuck 'em. Within one breath, they've demonstrated moral awareness, and then their disregard of morals. Simple. And I will try to ban their shit, thanks.

Things gets more complicated for situations like this:

veen  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Your New Year's Resolution Has Already Failed - CGP Grey

I've been listening to his podcast for a while now, which is where I got the idea from.

veen  ·  56 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, How Has Your Decade Been?

Ten years ago I was still in high school. It's safe to say that a lot has changed since, so much so that I don't feel many similarities between the awkward high school loner I was back then and the person I'm now. Almost everything that matters to me has happened since 2010. This decade I found the field that I love, somebody to love, work that I love and made a ton of friends. I've gone far from home and ended up closer to my inner self.

Most of all, what can be learned is that great things come from series of small, good decisions. That you don't need to know exactly where you're going to go far. - you just need to find the right direction. That it is best to assume others are just as complex and wonderful and kind (even if they're not that right now).