tacocat's comments
tacocat  ·  26 minutes ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mike Pence's Friday nights are so very Mike Pence

Cheese pizza only. Pepperoni and sausage are too suggestive.

kleinbl00  ·  22 minutes ago  ·  link  ·

Even still. I mean tomato sauce will discolor your tupperware.

tacocat  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 21, 2018

I can only speak for myself but when I was too depressed to move last spring, if my girlfriend had just held me I would have felt a lot better. And might not have been arrested shortly after that started...

I had to write another one of those letters you don't send to the person.

About it I suppose.

I got in the face of an elderly lady but I don't want to tell that story. Bad as it sounds, I was in the right

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: PUBSKI: but not the real one : PUB IS CLOSED, party next door.

Uh oh. Competing pubskis again...

You must kung-fu fight!

lil  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Absolutely not. No competition. No fighting. We're all hopping over to the real pub when it opens. And I fully expect that you, of all people, will follow me and we'll sip our non-alcoholic tomato juices together, shoulder to shoulder, two straws. And there my tale will be told.

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Conservative Christianity Can Warp the Mind

I don't doubt any of this but it's a wonderful way to get a Christian to stop listening, by mentioning about any part of this research.

Tact goes a long way when it comes to criticism

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I dont believe there is a way to make them listen.

With regard to criticism, I believe that religion and religious thought is uniquely suited to avoiding all of it.

A gently or tactfully made point won't pierce the armor.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Rap sessions will save the world

I totally didn't just make a new Twitter account

Needs more about Lovey

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I totally didn't just make a new Twitter account

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what are your thoughts on charities?

I mean who doesn't like charities. My problem is with people who think they do a better job of helping people than the part of society that literally has a record of almost everyone and what kind of help they might need.

When I lived in Alabama this summer and needed medicine I went to the university mental health clinic and had to apply for charity to pay the public university not to help me (it's a long, stupid story). UAB sent me a bill for about $300 for a twenty minute assessment which I threw away.

Georgia has a surprisingly robust public mental health infrastructure and I get medicine now with limited difficulty off the rip.

I've stayed in 100% charity housing that was varying levels of difficulty to get into from easy to fuck you, go away.

Yeah. It's cool. It serves a purpose. But the rich people who think it's a magic bullet for societal ills haven't had to rely on charity and the real world experience of getting help from a charity isn't sunshine and blow jobs.

rd95  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

One of the really interesting facets of a conversation I was lucky to be a part of, was that sometimes organizations are great at tackling certain individual issues, but due to limitations might not be able to tackle underlying causes short of bringing attention to them. The hypothetical example that came up was an organization that helps people get rid of intestinal worms is great at treating the symptom of worms, but if the health conditions that the people live in aren't addressed, the problem is going to continue. I think that general idea can apply in so many different situations.

I like how Brooks says that gun rights folks need to lead the way or something then gets distracted and veers off on an anecdote about how people aren't dicks in person. The stream of conscious style is not his strength

Every David Brooks column improves when you pretend it was written by Thurston Howell III

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Needs more about Lovey

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I totally didn't just make a new Twitter account

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Married members of Hubski. How did you come to decide to marry the person you did?

You have to admit the woman has a point

I freely admit the woman has a point.

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: In honor of Valentine's Day, tell everybody your tale of heartache and woe

I wish you luck. And all that I said about being friends would hopefully ease a transition into a romance

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 266th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

keifermiller  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Both of the singles I've heard for their new album have been very good.

tacocat  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: In honor of Valentine's Day, tell everybody your tale of heartache and woe

Based on my own experience, I think things worked out for the best. Not that you two CAN'T at some point get together and live happily ever after, but a pleasant fantasy is sometimes better than reality. I dated a girl whose boyfriend had just died and in dying he effectively became a perfect ideal and no longer a person. And I couldn't live up to that because, well, dead people don't make mistakes.

And I had a similar thing with a teenage love happen to me. Except my perfect memory of teenaged love now has to live in my head with the reality that people change as they get older and life has a tendency to make us more bitter than we were when we were naive to the fact that life is a cruel thing. And the best we can hope for is not to let that fact consume our perception of it (that last sentence is my feeling because I didn't want to leave it at life's a bitch and then you die).

You two get to be friends and experience those benefits without the complexity of relationships possibly fucking that up forever

Cumol  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, the story continues as follows:

5 years after she got married, she decides to get a divorce. Things weren't going that well. During the divorce her husband gets diagnosed with cancer. 5 months later, he dies. His family blames her for his cancer (!!!!) and that she left him when he needed her most.

Then starts probably the hardest time for her. Because she also blamed herself for leaving him. It took her the next 2-3 years to get clear about this. During that period she called me once and basically asked me if I want to marry her. For a split second, I thought about it but then pushed it away. She way mentally unstable and I couldn't even think about that working out. A year later I get mentally unstable and refuse her approaches because of that....

Now both of us are better off. Who knows what the future brings :)

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy Saturday Hubski. Have a baby white rhino going crazy over some snow.

I'm banned (with one account) from /r/art. I uh, did not react calmly when they removed my post from the sub. It was number one on /r/art and they didn’t understand how that could be leveraged into a sale and told me I should repost on a sales reddit with a fraction of the subscribers. The title had a meme phrase in it and apparently that's not allowed even if the art was not a meme and I was just being playful when I titled it

tacocat  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: In which David Brooks binges on ketamine and decides millennials are frogs

I'd subscribe to David Brooks reacts to ordinary things