tacocat's comments
tacocat  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 26th Desultory Quotes Rodeo

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

-Jack Handey

tacocat  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Strange Magic Of YouTube's '80s Remix Culture

Posting that again because it's on topic and also not

tacocat  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Streets of Philadelphia

This song is kind of a joke between me and my brother. I love Bruce because he tries new things but this is him at his most direct and thusly least poetic. He's just kinda mumbling through an idea prompt from a Tom Hanks movie.

That's from the same period and he shows more effort.

That's from the same starting point and shows some of the same problems he has with writing songs for movies. But I like it a lot more and it shows growth as an artist. The Wrestler has some awkward imagery that reveals to me part of his song writing process and it seems to involve wrestling (Hurrr) with ideas he appreciates on face value but doesn't understand. And he does so over long periods. He can look back at things he's done that were popular but not quite up to his ever changing standards for himself and improve on his craft.

OK. Now I have to go jack off because my man boner for Bruce is uncomfortable.

kleinbl00  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Bruce Springsteen at his most tortured and commercial is better than Kanye West at the absolute top of his game.

Bruce Springsteen managed to make a synth tune the ultimate rah-rah patriotic good-ole-boy anthem of the Reagan '80s... using the same axe Vangelis used on Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner.

I support both ideas.

The problem with Amazon is that they're "the everything store." I say that kinda vaguely. What I mean is all of those alternatives are specialized in some way. People enjoy Amazon because it fulfills so many needs easily. They literally sell people a physical button that they can push to send a message to Amazon telling Amazon that it needs to mail more toilet paper or tampons or batteries. They're a monopoly in this economy. The solution to a monopoly is government intervention and our government is currently cool with companies that fit the definition of a monopoly at the time government intervention became the apparent solution because on new platforms those parallels are hard to discern unless you know history and can draw historical parallels and give a shit and have an incentive to change things if you're in a position to do so. All the caveats I added at the end of that run-on sentence are failure points in what it would take to make Amazon less than the dominant retailer on the internet.

sd86  ·  17 hours ago  ·  link  ·

It's not about stopping Amazon. It's about supporting other businesses.

tacocat  ·  16 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I support both ideas.

tacocat  ·  17 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump Says 'No Reason To Believe' Russia Hacked U.S. Election

This is a very complex deception.

On the surface it seems like Trump is saying there was no Russian involvement and he's dismissing all accusations out of hand. Which seems fucking retarded. At this point it's dangerous to predicate an argument on speculation about Trump's intelligence. He's not a complete moron. Parts of the Left want to dismiss him on grounds of stupidity. So it seems when you look at Twitter and Facebook. Whatever. His intelligence is unknowable. His specific motives are unknowable for now.

What's clear is his affinity for speaking favorably of Putin and engaging him. Also engaging North Korea. Don't know those two things are related Something is obviously going on. What exactly? That's unclear.

He seems to be saying that Russian involvement in this shit show is the responsibility of independent hostile actors inside Russia. And that's not how the government there works. Any geopolitical action sourced from Russia is going to have, bare minimum, some KGB influence. I'm straining to speculate further because the implications that we can guess at now with available information lead to all sorts of easily imagined scenarios.

We know his history and can guess that he's just fundamentally an insecure, narcissistic crazy person after 70 some years of protecting the wounded ego of a spoiled child. His motives since he launched his campaign are the hard thing to tease out.

OK. Enough Trump World for a while. I feel like left wing Alex Jones so I should probably do something mindless for a few hours.

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump news Dump. Euro Trip Edition

I personally need distance from the summit with Putin before I can offer any meaningful thoughts on the topic

But fuck Michael Steele. He wouldn't be critical if he were in any policy making position

See? I saw that story earlier and it got pushed out of my brain. The story about the Russian grad student. Probably pushed out by my own weird thought patterns but under a normal administration that'd be the day's top story.

I'm interested and concerned about the news that will affect the future but sometimes I gotta step back and realize that my interest and curiosity is affecting my stress level and I need a break from political news

am_Unition  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I also walk a fine line. :/

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Major League Baseball launching MLB Crypto

The rapper Akon wants to launch Akoin

Anyway I'm skeptical this will work for MLB. I've been watching a lot of sport stats videos by sbnation and it's made me appreciate baseball more. And hate the NBA more. I wish baseball luck with this. Shows the stodgiest league in the country is open to experimentation which is a good sign at the least

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SMBC: College Level Mathematics

The economics of academia needs independent study from the general field or something. It's not a rational marketplace

Elon need not drunk Tweet if he doesn't explicitly understand his level of impairment while intoxicated. I offer this as ineffective advice from a person with loads of experience operating a computer while drunk to a person who probably wasn't drunk but is a consistent social media ass for no clear reason. To summarize: he's a dick and I can't really comment on this as a result.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SMBC: College Level Mathematics

The economics are borderline impossible to study because they don't operate under usual economic rules. My alma mater probably has a profitable sports program. Plus tuition income and owning like the whole town. I don't care to estimate their budget. Who's in charge of this money is a good question. I don't think there's a single answer to that question. It's like a Kafkaesque nightmare. Who cares to fix it here in Georgia? No one because the people in the position to do something view all government as a Kafkaesque nightmare. And they're currently busy screwing the poor and minorities and poor minorities in particular so the plight of the struggling student at the banner research institution in the state is no where near there radar.

Update: 2 years have passed since the last offer, and 5 hours have passed since I wrote this comment. They just called again and are now offering her $53 an hour.

Fukifiknow.

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 287th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

My general strategy for deciding what I like in music in the age of bittorrent is to dump a shitload of music into my phone from an artist I'm interested in and gauge my level of interest through repeat exposure by way of shuffle play. Starting to come around more to X, the band that accidentally made themselves very hard to Google, and Leon Bridges is becoming an artist I skip a lot less frequently

Flaw in this system is some software bug that restarts my playlist from the top of the alphabet based on song title. I couldn't listen to "About a Girl" for a long time due to this and there's a Nathaniel Rateliff song I've developed a temporary hatred for since it has a tendency to play every time I start my car. Still, I'm happy enough with how this works to keep doing it. Also too lazy to be proactive because I really don't care

I wanted to go into academia at one point and feel like I really dodged a bullet. Art academia might even be uniquely awful for a bunch of reasons. But it's not purely academic so people in it use teaching as supplemental income. Whatever. I'm just glad I didn't end up with a laundry list of adjunct positions on a resume before getting tenure. Or not.

One professor had a joke about this process that goes back to the eighties. Funny anecdote rather. He knew a guy who built a kiln or a furnace just for his CVs. The implication being throwing them into the kiln was the equivalent of sending them to schools to get a job. Artists are generally a little off if they decide that's a viable career path. It results in some very high difficulty jokes which take the form of physical objects. I think it's awesome. People who disagree are people who use this as an example of why modern art is terrible.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is Prime Day Worth the Hype?

Nope. Unless you have a massive amount of disposable income for frivolous purchases