tacocat's comments
tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 318th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

My life is pretty shitty. I just went to the psychiatrist. She seemed kinda resistant to the idea that if you have legitimate reasons to be depressed the antidepressants do about fuck all

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 13, 2019

Also the Field Museum for a science experience

My family is from Chicago. I've never lived there. I'm Chicago adjacent.

The Art Institute of Chicago

I went there once and my dad had to leave early to beat traffic. I wanted to stay long enough that traffic died down while we were there

I haven't been listening to music at all because I've been depressed for several months. This is the first song I've turned on for pleasure in a while

KapteinB  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

That sucks. (Not the song, the depression.) Hope you're feeling better!

edit:

That music video was great, thanks for sharing.

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 13, 2019

The easy answer is to eat deep dish pizza. Which isn't wrong. The less common answer is to eat Italian beef. It's a roast beef sandwich dipped in au jus to put it simply.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you for the recommendation! I wasn't aware of deep dish pizza being a Chicago thing, so we'll certainly keep an eye out for it. We're both kind of off meat, so I expect we'll skip the beef.

Are you from the Chicago area? Any galleries or museums or other sites you particularly recommend?

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Also the Field Museum for a science experience

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

My family is from Chicago. I've never lived there. I'm Chicago adjacent.

The Art Institute of Chicago

I no longer enjoy Salvador Dali after learning about what a bag of shit he was to his friends. Plenty of other artists who are shit bags I'm indifferent to their actions. There's no logic to this for me. Lots of people will say that you can't enjoy art made by bad people and I assume they live lives devoid of pleasure

It was hard to find an article about this because she's in a lot more trouble for comparing homosexuality to bestiality

tacocat  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 305th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

tacocat  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Killed By Google

Google STI was a data collection initiative that infected users with syphilis in exchange for Play Store credit.

Death of the author and all that. I'll probably still listen to his stuff and torrent songs. Maybe.

But I'm actually a huge fan of one of the artists quoted in the piece: Phoebe Bridgers. I thought the bad guy from a lot of her songs was Conor Oberst but apparently it was Ryan Adams. I can't really explain why I feel differently about Ryan Adams than Jimi Hendrix or John Lennon but I just don't see myself enjoying Adams songs for the foreseeable future

CrazyEyeJoe  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Honestly, a lot of artists were bad people. I find it ridiculous that I'm supposed to stop consuming someone's art just because they're an asshole. Just because I enjoy the art doesn't mean I endorse their behaviour.

Miles Davis beat his lovers. Picasso was constantly cheating on his wives. I'm sure I could find countless examples if I went looking. Should we just burn all their contributions now? Come on. It's possible, and desirable, to be able to separate between different aspects of the same thing. Artists don't have to be Gods.

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: McConnell Says Trump Plans to Declare National Emergency to Build Border Wall

Trump plans to declare national emergency to appease his base because he will never get his way. Even though he turned down money for the wall in exchange for permanent DACA solution. He is truly a master of deal artistry. If a republican challenged Trump in 2020 and then won the election I would be momentarily relieved just to have this bullshit be over

tg  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

It makes me wonder if the house will simply draft a new bill with no border wall money? Declaring an emergency is just gonna be fought in the courts and likely lose (I hope), and then he doesn't really have any other option than to take whatever new deal the democrats come up with after he's pissed them off a second time. He got less money this time around and brought his already abysmal approval rating lower during the shutdown, how does he think it's a good idea to roll over it a second time and ruin his chances of getting any money at all???

tacocat  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 13, 2019

John Cusack blocked me on Twitter at some point which is weird. I'm not a prolific tweeter.

I went to the dentist for the first time in a decade. No cavities. Floss daily and quit smoking. I've been too depressed to brush my teeth for days during that decade so I wasn't sure that didn't do severe damage.

Odds are I have a new, slightly less shitty, job.

tacocat  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How British Feminism Became Anti-Trans

TERFs are fucking weird, man. Their argument seems to be that they know better than the medical community. As far as I can tell they think effeminate young boys and lesbian girls are having unwanted gender reassignment. There's also the stuff about men going into women's restrooms like the Republicans. The "for the children" angle is particularly weird because it's such a creative fantasy.

There might be fewer ancaps if weed and DMT were legal. A lot of these people seem to go that route because they want to get high without the threat of prosecution