tacocat's comments
tacocat  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: WOKE BRANDS

I guess I have to comment to bump this

tacocat  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: In Rural Areas, Homeless People Are Harder To Find — And To Help

I was homeless in a small town once. The cops were deliberating whether to arrest me or drive me to the next county over and dump me off. I got like a warning that McRae Georgia doesn't have homeless people and convinced my mom to get me a hotel

Gwinnett County Georgia also doesn't have homeless people. It's affluent. We're arrested or sent to other counties as a solution

I have an apartment right now but I'm technically homeless because it's through a housing program for people with mental illness. I'm lucky. I have it because I didn't lose my car and could drive to various agencies across two counties to fill out forms and prove I deserve basic human dignity that is housing because means testing

I've been this desperate and Fox News is out there painting people like me as a public health problem and a horror instead of addressing the root cause of homelessness. Capitalism

I never shit on the sidewalk but I would have if I ended up somewhere where the bathrooms have locks

Capitalism has no mechanism to provide homes for people who can't afford them under capitalism. It has no solution forglobal warming. It incentivises discrimination. It's end goal is concentration of wealth among a few people. It's immoral. We can do better

tacocat  ·  92 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Andrew Yang on Joe Rogan Experience — I think this guy could win

As a very poor person: fuck you

thenewgreen  ·  104 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, I was referencing a person eating a chicken sandwich and then after the fact finding out that the place where he got the sandwich was founded by a bigot and then agreeing that he shouldn’t have eaten there.

This, to me, is not a story worth sharing or propagating.

However, Twitters effed up policy’s should be examined. I see the two as completely separate.

Georgia is also near the top of pedestrian death entirely because of Atlanta. I live in a pretty poor Atlanta suburb. There's an elaborate pedestrian crossing I drive by every day that's in the part of this suburb where all the public housing is. I wonder how many poor people died before whatever local government apparatus decided to put a red light for pedestrians at the intersection between the Family Dollar and the gas station that shares a parking lot with a liquor store

tacocat  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Musk’s Boring Company is now just a paved tunnel for Teslas

Pretty much

One wanted to know why the ISS shows up in his astrophotography all the time and Musk thinks it's because it has 8 billion lumen light bulbs on the outside

thenewgreen  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

So, when it’s seen in the night sky it has nothing to do with its size and the lights in/on it?

tacocat  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

Pretty much

tacocat  ·  115 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Musk’s Boring Company is now just a paved tunnel for Teslas

Commenting on this website for the first time in like two weeks to point out that Elon Musk is a massive dipshit who should have his wealth seized for the betterment of society

WanderingEng  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

It would probably be for the betterment of his companies, too.

applewood  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

I feel like maybe I get this conversation, but I'm not sure. Are the two men talking about sunlight reflecting off the I.S.S. making it visible and Musk is missing the mark?

tacocat  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

thenewgreen  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

Pretty much

tacocat  ·  143 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Joe Biden Announces Candidacy

Please proudly announce that you are totally ignorant of what it's like to included in the cohort that would receive this benefit and fuck off forever

mk  ·  118 days ago  ·  link  ·

I had a doc do an off-the-book biopsy on me in a side room because I had no insurance. I was lucky I had an doc friend that could do that, and very lucky that it was benign.

It's been a long time since then, but I remember the feeling of helplessness.

The ACA got kneecapped by the Supreme Court when they struck down the Medicare expansion. It's basically useless as it stands for poor people like me in conservative states. I'm a leftist but I'm more social democrat than socialist. We're at a crossroads like we were in the thirties where shit was so bad that fascism and socialism rose together. The New Deal was a salve that preserved capitalism and we need another one like it because the alternative is fascism. M4A is a part of that. I'm personally more for a public option.

tacocat  ·  143 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Put Aside Your Purity Politics and Embrace My Feckless Centrism

mk here is your candidate

tacocat  ·  143 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Life Is Inevitable

I believe the rare earth hypothesis much more than more optimistic proposals like the Drake equation

Lots of mostly creationist loonies use similar arguments but often with a lot of bad science. They call it the finely tuned universe or something and use it as an argument for the God of Abraham. They then throw out stuff like if the earth were ten feet further from the sun we'd all freeze. I had to watch one of these videos in sober living because drug treatment is virtually in distinguishable from Christianity. I kinda lost my shit when we got to discussing the video.

I would guess that life is fairly abundant. But complex life is not and intelligent life is exceedingly rare. Earth is in the Goldilocks Zone, has a large stabilizing moon, has a core that provides a magnetic field, has liquid water, has a thick atmosphere because of the magnetic field, has plate tectonics and has large planets further out in the solar system that absorb a lot of asteroids and comets. I don't even think that's all we got going for us towards multicellular life. All that said there is still probably a few planets somewhere that fit enough of the earth-like condition to produce life similar to our own.

Apropos of nothing UFOs are interdimensional beings who don't abide by the same rules of physics as we do. Dont @ me.

tacocat  ·  145 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Joe Biden Announces Candidacy

I'm making a broad point about economic suffering that cuts across race and you're countering it with "the blacks had it a lot worse back in the day" after ignoring my vulnerability to preventable death so I'm about done with this bullshit

mk  ·  144 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sorry. I didn’t mean to gloss over something you have going on. If that’s the case, I really am sorry.

Politically, I just don’t think the Bern has the best approach. Obama got rid of preexisting conditions. I think it talkes that kind of president to make something like that happen, as messed up as the progress looks.

My uncle did vote for Bernie, then Trump. That’s fucked up, but I also think it says something about their appeal to dissatisfaction, and how easily they make solutions seem. I think we are being taught to expect too much from presidents.

Once again, I’m sorry if the medical issue is personal for you atm. I’m not terribly astute in that sense.

tacocat  ·  143 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  118 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's been a long time since then, but I remember the feeling of helplessness.

tacocat  ·  143 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  146 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Joe Biden Announces Candidacy

This is as bad as its been since the thirties. Not complaining is a bad thing. I don't even understand why you'd call them complainers. They have specific policies that address huge problems.

Trump got elected by pandering to a dissatisfied population and using racism as the rallying cry for that dissatisfaction. If you nominate another Democrat in the Clinton or Obama mold they're going to lose or do nothing to address the problems that elected Trump and leave the door open for an even worse republican candidate who might be less incompetent

mk  ·  145 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is as bad as its been since the thirties.

For white folk. It has always been pretty shitty and slowly getting better for most everyone else. I don't think Bernie has internalized that. I think that's partially why my uncle that wanted Bernie voted for Trump.

I call Bernie a complainer, because he won't be able to do what he says he will, but he revs people up with simple solutions to huge problems. For that reason, I think he's guilty of pandering too.

Obama got the ACA passed. Far from perfect, but that's why it passed. Trump couldn't undo it with both the House and Senate. Trump also can't get his wall with both. Obama was also a black man in the Oval Office. That was a huge win for our country.

I think we'd all be better off if we didn't let candidates talk like the Presidency was this huge lever. It's both a ceremonial job and a grind.

tacocat  ·  145 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  144 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  143 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  118 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's been a long time since then, but I remember the feeling of helplessness.

tacocat  ·  143 days ago  ·  link  ·