We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
steve's comments
steve  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 23, 2017

I wrote a little bit in the book for the first time in weeks.

If you need a place to cut out for a month and just write... fly to Denver, lock yourself in my guest bedroom and mash on those keys... we'll feed you.

steve  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Week When President Trump Resigned

if you can’t put anybody on a moral plane, you can’t put yourself on Air Force One.

ZOINKS.

johnnyFive  ·  47 minutes ago  ·  link  ·

Haha yeah. But what I really liked about this is for putting into words what I think a lot of us have been thinking. We've long looked to the president (even one we didn't like) as a unifying figure. We've seen president after president rise to the occasion, even if they later fucked up the practical application (see Bush with basically his entire presidency). But at least they tried.

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Here is a link to the National Weather Service Eclipse page

Denver couldn't hope for better skies. It's already getting moody and dusky out. So very cool...

steve  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your killer smoothie?

I actually thought about putting a disclaimer in my earlier comment.... but I was on my phone and lazy...

And bananas are deceivingly sweet and pretty dang good for you. Oh... And super stupid cheap.

OftenBen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

All points in their favor.

I must be mindful of my potassium intake, so my daily driver smoothies have lost their banana component.

steve  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

steve  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your killer smoothie?

Mostly peaches.

A banana.

Blueberries.

Greek yogurt if I have it.

Spinach if my wife is looking.

But seriously, peaches are a really good base. Smooth, sweet, usually inexpensive, super yummy.

veen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Peaches, good one. I also really like mangoes which sadly aren't as cheap.

steve  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fighting Fires For Free, Aging Volunteers Struggle To Recruit The Next Generation

pay to get them in EMT training.

hell... offer EMT training in a high school setting for seniors who aren't on the college track? There are several options for my kids in high school here for voc-ed... they can get plumbing, electrical, diesel repair, etc. training so that when they graduate, they're ready for apprenticeship.

steve  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 16, 2017

intransigent

TIL intransigent. One of the many reasons I like b_b. He uses smart people words.

steve  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 16, 2017

My daughter wrote me a card, unprompted, during her "quiet time" (she's moving away from naps) that says "Daddy I leev u"

One of life's finest pleasures right there.

steve  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Looks like Charlotesville is really starting to backfire for White Power groups

Free Speech is not free from consequence

this.... so much...

steve  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 16, 2017

No couches for you! GUEST BEDROOM!

(I'm a little excited)

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.

I had just flown to Michigan for a High School reunion. My dad stopped by the barber shop on the way back from the airport. Halfway through this haircut, the power went out. The barber finished without clippers, by the light coming in from the windows. As we made our way home a couple of miles, we kept thinking "oh wow, this is a little bigger than just that neighborhood". It wasn't for another hour or so that we realized how widespread the outage was.

Fun nerd fact - At the time, I still had a back-end dial-up ISP number I could use. I dialed in to get online, and shared my connection over wifi so my brother could be online too. There we were, a couple of nerds, checking slashdot and sending IMs by candlelight on our laptops as long as the batteries lasted.

Our power didn't come back on for three days... just in time for the reunion.

steve  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 16, 2017

so crazy.... I never drink on Tuesdays... but WHY NOT?!?!?!

I was saving this post for tomorrow... but I'll share today. I have been out of my mind with life changes... but hey - it's mostly good stuff. I sold my house yesterday and am homeless for another couple hours until I close on the new one. My kid got a drivers' license and insurance jumped. My job has been garbage for a while, and after the closing is complete, I'm going to make a change.

My life is in boxes. Me and a dozen of my closest friends get to move them all tonight. It'll be a party.

Cheers Hubski!

UPDATE: I am no longer homeless. My life is still in boxes... But those boxes are 6.2 miles northwest of their previous location. New (used) house! Huzzah!

mk  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Congrats on the new house! I can't wait to sleep on your couch!

steve  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

No couches for you! GUEST BEDROOM!

(I'm a little excited)

Dayum, dude, congrats! Except for the insurance. That sucks.

steve  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: If someone gives you a badge, can you then give it away?

I think that badges don't go to "you" per se... they go to the post. So this post has been badged, not you.

There is a secret sauce algorithm that determines when you earn badges to spend (posts, comments, shares, etc). That algorithm might include a factor of having your content badged... That I don't know.

I hope that helps.