steve's comments
steve  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "I can't help thinking that an Aston Martin would be a liability for a spy."

Thanks for this one. It was exactly what I needed to read today.

steve  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tumblr will ban all adult content on December 17th

But if you are in an online space allowing user content I'd start preparing for a shitstorm

There are some things inherent to Hubski's design the slow proliferation of this kind of thing. First of all - hubski doesn't host anything but the text... so I guess if someone started posting a bunch or erotica based on children we could/should get concerned.

I remember very clearly stumbling on a post years ago with a title of something like "I wonder if we'll find a home for like minded people here" and it was a terribly graphic photo of a victim of violence. I don't remember if I replied to the post, but I certainly reached out to mk on the side and I believe he deleted the post.

Eventually - if you post a bunch of stuff that people find objectionable, you get ignored into oblivion.

steve  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Traveling in Xinjiang

I was planning a trip to Urumqi with my dad... in the last six months, I've read enough to be appropriately spooked about going there now.

There's still a chance we'll make the trek - but it's at least a little unnerving,

OftenBen  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

Business or pleasure?

steve  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Just Joined the Site

Welcome! we're glad you're here!

steve  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Are Gender Reveal Parties a Thing?

please help me understand the current definition of "gender" vs. "sex". Somewhere along the way, I feel like the definitions have evolved, and have gained some emotional gravity that I'm ignorant about. I don't want to go around offending people by using the wrong term in the wrong way. (and I'm being completely genuine and vulnerable here).

Quatrarius  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

it's a silly example but it helps me remember: back in the day pink wasn't associated with femininity and it wasn't a gender-related thing, but somewhere along the line pink became associated with one gender and suddenly little girls like pink

they aren't born liking pink inherently, they're encouraged to like it by society - in contrast they aren't encouraged to have ovaries and shit like that, they just have it

the characteristics of sex are the characteristics of sex; gender is anything you want it to be because it's arbitrary

Quatrarius  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

the gist of it is "sex" is what you are from a reproductive-y, chromosome-y perspective and "gender" is the role you play socially - e.g. little XX humans don't pop out the womb as "female", that's the set of behaviors / expectations 'n' all that that get placed on you when society sees you have a vagina

people are born as whatever sex they are and get assigned a gender associated with their bits, then later their "gender identity" (their own sense of what set of behaviors / expectations align with them) develops and either matches the gender assigned to them or not

people that have a gender identity = assigned gender match are cisgender (although that word isn't well liked sometimes)

people that have a gender identity =/= assigned gender mismatch are transgender

I personally don't think that "gender reveal parties" matter one iota for reference but if you wanna be finicky then yeah "sex reveal parties" would be a better name - who gives a shit frankly

steve  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It's been a fun 2,163 Days

best of luck bfx. You will be genuinely missed.

steve  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Great Black Friday Swindle

Park Place sent me an email this morning letting me know they've got a "Black Friday Special" on a used McLaren 650S.

and clearly you needed to act right away on such a bargain...

ha! Thanks for the chuckle.

steve  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Leading Lines

when were you here?

am_Unition  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

Spring of '15. I was mostly in Boulder, and tried to meet up with you, 8bit, and beezkneeze(?), but the stars weren't meant to align. I'll be back up there within a couple of years, I'll let you know :).

steve  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Voice of the ‘Intellectual Dark Web’

I just spit my water all over my desk... thank you.

Sorry, this comment is private.
steve  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Post Malone sucks

I hate that my son and his friends are obsessed with Post Malone. PM is like the anthem writer for middle class white kids frustrated with the tyranny of high school teachers...

I've debated sending him this article, but I fear it would only entrench his stance.

Someone had to take the mantle from Neil Peart.

tacocat  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Say what you will about Post Malone but at least he's not an objectivist.

GOD I never made that connection. I knew there was a reason Rush was always just short of awesome and just long of grindingly annoying.

tacocat  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh they're Randian as all hell. Go back and listen to "Free Will."

tacocat  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

With some luck he'll end up like me: hating every band I liked before I was 20. There's a dark path though. I know of like two Korn fans who are semi functional adults in 2018 and I was surprised they existed both times I heard about their musical taste. For this generation I think the dark path involves facial tattoos. Those aren't bad odds though for people moving beyond shitty music. My non scientific or rigorous sampling can be a beacon.

steve  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I expect to die during the Great Migration

phenomenal!

steve  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Romantic Parson who has fallen upon Hard Times

Dashing Lord living in Genteel Poverty
steve  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 24, 2018

Ugh... typo fixed.

warmed not warned.

steve  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 24, 2018

sorry to hear. wishing you a speedy recovery.