steve's comments
steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: These Germans Who Swim To Work Are Happier Than You

2km.

That’s what I was going to say. It’s not about the swim (although clever), it’s about the short distance. Who would even drive 2km? That’s walkable! In fact, when my city finishes the massively delayed train to my hood, I’ll still have to walk 2km as part of the commute.

better than any other commentary in the history of the Cup.

Trump did? Painter did? or were you referring to EVERY SINGLE MAN WHO VOTED FOR TRUMP? Because some of those "He"s might have miscalculated too...

steve  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: REUNION

This dude does public speaking... interestingly enough, we watched part of one of his videos as part of a training course today, and it was top notch. I am actively seeking out an opportunity to hear him live.

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

We are working on getting the money together to start bringing some of these guys into town to talk about space, education, life etc. Mike Mullane is one of the guys at the top of that list.

steve  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 11, 2018

Sorry mate. That significantly sucks. 100% her fault.

steve  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 11, 2018

This post makes me warm inside. Pretty happy for you.

goobster  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Cheers, my friend!

tacocat  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I remember now that it was her retweeting a fake Mike Pence account as if it was really him

She’ll be the most attractive judge on the bench... and that’s why he’ll pick her... and that’s what he’ll brag about: “all of those stuffy old people... I thought it was about time we had a hottie behind the bench... so much better looking. The best choice. Alll of the best things with the choices. And then we have the best things.”

You know.... I just let the auto-suggestion thing on my iPhone pick the words of the last sentence... and that’s the most Trump-like I’ve ever sounded. May be that’s what he does?

tacocat  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Someone on Twitter said basically that. Kellyanne Conway or somebody reacted with mock outrage that someone would reduce this judge to nothing but her looks

steve  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yah... someone like her boss...

tacocat  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

steve  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A question regarding perception.

I'd describe it only as the starting place for gut and instinct, a very naive state before the waters of consciousness run in.

This sounds like a phenomenon I experience with music or film, a conversation with a friend, or a good book (although harder with a book). There’s this period of time when I can just enjoy the thing... without examining why I enjoy it. Is it that? The time of observation without evaluation?

steve  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: I just inherited $40,000 - what do I do?

CONVERTIBLES

for a half second I thought you were going to recommend a used porsche...

Not as an investment vehicle, no, despite the fact that it would cost me more to buy my car now than it did last October.

The car market has been stupid for years now and so long as the rich keep getting richer, it'll just get stupider. Had I bought a '97 Carrera 4 in '97, driven it 5k a year, performed all maintenance and sold it last year, I would have made $40k.

Or more.

steve  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My Opa

Thank you so much for sharing. Love you brother.

thenewgreen  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bach at ya!

steve  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The sacred cows of psychology turn out to be straw men

As someone with a degree in sociology, I find this comic hilarious... and perhaps related to this article.

steve  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

10k on a bike is really something... and those aren't easy miles.

steve  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

the discs.... how do I love them. Since the previous theft I had been rocking a pretty sweet late 90s Canondale road bike with frame shifters and all... she's fast, but the ancient caliper brakes left me feeling amazingly unsafe.

Caliper brakes are fine in the desert. I do just dandy with 'em. Up here? That whole "go through grass no longer stop" aspect is straight bullshit.

I'm about 6 months away from plowing through 10k miles on my beastie. I may or may not reward myself with a new rig after.

steve  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

10k on a bike is really something... and those aren't easy miles.

steve  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

funny enough... I think REI made this model poo brown and non-flashy for that very reason.

It's got discs though, and "novarra" is REI-speak.

"Poo brown" is a thing. I fell in love with a Specialized Diverge last year but it was only available in Used Wrigley's Spearmint Gum Green and Dropped Creamsicle On The Sidewalk Orange. This year they've reverted to gray on the spendy ones and gray is an option on the cheap ones.

steve  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

steve  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

10k on a bike is really something... and those aren't easy miles.