steve's comments
steve  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 13, 2017

Congrats on the job front! I'm so excited for you! And that is one SICK Casio. Great choice!

I'm tellin' ya.

Few things:

1) the '02 revamp has fewer engine problems. The engine problems associated with the 996 are pretty overblown (real failure rate is less than 5%) but the engine problems associated with the 996 are no laughing matter (real failure mode is catastrophic and terminal). It also has prettier headlights.

2) the intermediate shaft bearing needs to be done when the clutch is done. Everyone freaks balls about IMS failure but realistically speaking, if the car needs a clutch, it needs an IMS bearing. If it had a new clutch without a new IMS, it still needs an IMS.

3) It's really fucking easy to put a stereo in them.

4) Insurance and registration is appallingly cheap. Apparently the insurance companies have figured out that the median Porsche driver is a 65-year-old dentist.

5) 911 drivers, just like motorcyclists, wave at each other.

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fantastic Year for Geminid Meteor Shower

I do look a little funny unloading my entire family out of the trunk...

That is so good...

I have loved Porsches my whole life. There may be some day when my magical internet money allows me to make the jump... but until then - I will keep paying off the mortgage and feeding little mongrel faces.

(but I thank you for the 996 tip... I'll take a look)

2001 Porsche 996: $23500

2014 Miata: $24600

Just sayin'. When the old Miata needs to make way for a new Miata, check out the German Miatas. They're pretty goddamn delightful.

I'm tellin' ya.

Few things:

3) It's really fucking easy to put a stereo in them.

5) 911 drivers, just like motorcyclists, wave at each other.

I see how it is...

You're calling me fat.

I won't stand for it.

I won't be bullied.

I won't be pushed around.

I won't be fat shamed.

Kidding aside.... I do own a Miata.... short story long is:

My grandpa bought a little convertible when my dad was a teenager... might have been a Karman Ghia, might have been an MG - I can't remember. My pops was bit by the "fun little convertible" bug and spend his years pining for the day when he could get one. Being a college professor that was both BROKE and completely non-automotive (probably could change a tire, but I'm not sure), he was never confident buying a British car, or anything else he had to "monkey with". Along comes 1992 and through a perfect confluence of events, he finally had some discretionary money, and Japan had finally cranked out an affordable roadster... he bought one. And his son (me) was then bit by the same "fun convertible" bug....

Fast forward to 2014 - he finally decided he was tired of getting in and out of it at the ripe old age of 70+ and it was time for his son (me) to inherit the ol' beast.

You can call it a girl car... it probably is. You can call it a wimp car.... it probably is. You can call it underpowered and kinda tired... and it probably is...

But when I've got the top down in almost every month of the year and get to rip up and down canyons around corners at speeds that scoff at the suggested yellow speed signs... you can call it whatever you want... I love driving the thing. I mean love it. And yes... all 200+lbs and 6'2" of me fits in the car. But I do occasionally drop a Chris Farley impression "fat guy in a little car".

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

You know, a legit '92 Miata is probably going to be a classic in ten-fifteen years. If you can keep it happy, it'll be a happy little car for a long time to come.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

You're calling me fat.

That never entered into my mind. Just the fact that a grown man, husband and father has been riding around in a GIRL CAR. And I wanted to see what a sports car looks like after it's actually been used like a car, and not a toy kept in a humidity and temperature controlled box, only taken out on specific days.

Love the Farley impression, keep kicking ass like you do.

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Nono steve's totally a track day bro:

That is so good...

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I do look a little funny unloading my entire family out of the trunk...

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ethereum just blasted through $600

It probably won't last

tsk.. tsk... don't dash all of our hopes and fevered dreams.

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It's the life of the pessimistic investor: if you expect to lose most of your money, every cash-out feels like a win!

My Miata seats are a little tired (as they should be after 25 years). I'm considering some new ones, and the new ones WILL BE heated.

The coldest I've gone was 16 degrees, up over Loveland pass at about 11,000 feet... it was very, very cold.

Stoked that you're loving the convertible. I don't get to drive mine every day... but the days I do are better for it.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Dude the 2002-2004 Porsche 996 is the ultimate Miata. And they're cheap right now. If you told me cars would actually go up in value ten years ago I would have laughed in your face but if you told me Porsches would depreciate an annoyingly small amount I would have agreed because Porsche people are like the Apple people of old - they hang onto their shit until it's completely obsolete. And cars don't get obsolete.

Go drive one. I've hated Porsches my entire life but once I took one around the block I started to understand. by the time I'd done a few hundred miles of the PCH I was in awe. They're just great little cars. $90k great? Well, I don't think anything is $90k great. $20k great? hell to the yes.

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

(but I thank you for the 996 tip... I'll take a look)

2001 Porsche 996: $23500

2014 Miata: $24600

I'm tellin' ya.

Few things:

3) It's really fucking easy to put a stereo in them.

5) 911 drivers, just like motorcyclists, wave at each other.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I would have never picked you for a Miata guy. Convertible sure, but a Miata?

PIcs?

I see how it is...

You're calling me fat.

I won't stand for it.

I won't be bullied.

I won't be pushed around.

I won't be fat shamed.

Kidding aside.... I do own a Miata.... short story long is:

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

You're calling me fat.

Love the Farley impression, keep kicking ass like you do.

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Nono steve's totally a track day bro:

That is so good...

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I do look a little funny unloading my entire family out of the trunk...

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

My top has been down every single day.

He even opened the convertible roof on his car.

SUNS OUT GUNS OUT

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

There is something deeply spectacular about driving through 30 degree fog with the top down.

Heated seats are the best.

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

(but I thank you for the 996 tip... I'll take a look)

2001 Porsche 996: $23500

2014 Miata: $24600

I'm tellin' ya.

Few things:

3) It's really fucking easy to put a stereo in them.

5) 911 drivers, just like motorcyclists, wave at each other.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I would have never picked you for a Miata guy. Convertible sure, but a Miata?

PIcs?

I see how it is...

You're calling me fat.

I won't stand for it.

I won't be bullied.

I won't be pushed around.

I won't be fat shamed.

Kidding aside.... I do own a Miata.... short story long is:

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

You're calling me fat.

Love the Farley impression, keep kicking ass like you do.

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Nono steve's totally a track day bro:

That is so good...

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I do look a little funny unloading my entire family out of the trunk...

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
steve  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 6, 2017

Show that clock who's really ticking in this house

#motivationalposter

lil  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

miss you too. lurking.

Who's got time for global?!?! I follow so many interesting people that I don't think I've run out of contact in FORVER.

Good call though - I just need to carve out some time.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Isn't global already a conglomeration of all the posts on Hubski?

Good call though - I just need to carve out some time.

Show that clock who's really ticking in this house.

steve  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Show that clock who's really ticking in this house

#motivationalposter

lil  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

miss you too. lurking.

Day 15 in the new job.

Got to MC the company wide meeting.

It felt good and I've already received some positive feedback.

I really need to figure out how to work Hubski back into my daily regiment. I really, REALLY miss you folks.

Ethereum has been a really weird roller-coaster as of late. Magic Internet money is weird.

I love you all. Stay gold pony boy.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wake up 15 minutes earlier and march through those global posts like a muthafucka?

I don't know you or your regimen, but you seem like a genuinely good person to be around, and I'm always up for helping with a solution.

steve  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good call though - I just need to carve out some time.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Isn't global already a conglomeration of all the posts on Hubski?

Good call though - I just need to carve out some time.

Show that clock who's really ticking in this house.

steve  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Show that clock who's really ticking in this house

#motivationalposter

lil  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

miss you too. lurking.

steve  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 29, 2017

Interesting, I never thought it was Midwest.

I'm not sure that it is... Just an observation.

I taught my 5yo daughter how to correctly use the term: Pshaa!

I don't think I have heard that term since leaving the mitten

mk  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting, I never thought it was Midwest.

I'm not sure if I am doing harm or good. We were playing legos, and the guy I was (known simply as 'dude') proclaimed that something was 'harshing his mellow'. She added that to her parlance for a while.

cgod  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're doing great. Now the kid has harsh and mellow in her vocabulary and has seen them tossed together in a colorful phrase. Half the reason my kid is reading chapter books to herself is because we've read too and with her, the other half is that we use lots of crazy language. I try to use as much varied and creative language with Haz as I can. Vulgar, silly, serious change the grammatical rules, change all of one vowel sound to another and talk that way for 30 minutes until we are cracking each other up trying to make harder goofier sentences.

It's so fun when you notice them purposely using new language. It's even better when you notice them using it naturally. I was talking to her about our friend who is training to become an acupuncturist, what that is, what it's supposed to do how you do it with needles. At the end of the conversation Hazel says, "That Sonija is one sharp lady!" Nice joke kid, keep it up.

It's not. The rest of us spell it P'shaw.

steve  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting, I never thought it was Midwest.

I'm not sure that it is... Just an observation.

steve  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What will the price of Bitcoin be one year from today?

I intended my answer to be relative to the the price of ETH on the day of measurement...

wasoxygen  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm curious to see how you do with your ETH-based guess, but it seems a little unfair, since you could win if both cryptocurrencies crash or if they both skyrocket. But since you're a nice guy, fine, we'll count you in at 0.79 ETH. Offer valid only for users named Steve.

thenewgreen  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·