a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
rezzeJ's comments
rezzeJ  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 398th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

Nice. Yeah, it's easy to get gushy over the latest synth and forget that the native plugins can do a lot for you. I really need to explore The Grid in Bitwig once I've got my current project over and done with. And like you, it saves on a lot of processing power too.

I have had a few people comment on my chord progressions. My approach has always been a very exploratory one. Sit at the keyboard, find a chord I like, then experiment. What happens if I change bass note? Can I keep the left hand the same and change the right hand? What if I just move all the notes up by one? What if I replace this chord with one from a parallel key?

Eventually, the mind's ear senses a shadow of a chord progression in the vague fog of creativity. From there, it's just about finishing the puzzle.

Looking forward to hearing what comes out of your learning!

rezzeJ  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 398th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

Coincidently, I got cottoned on to DOMi & JD Beck not long before your comment. Great stuff. They have an album coming out soon, which I'm very looking forward to.

Any specific production techniques you've been looking into?

rezzeJ  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Wait, are we doing it wrong? [Potential major Hubski experiment]

I'd be honoured.

Stylus lets you target styles to specific URLs, which you can't do in pure CSS. So I'll create a version that works without that. I'll also make sure it doesn't break the mobile styles as it's only aimed at desktop at the moment.

Would it make sense for it to be an optional 'modifier' to the user selected style? That way the user can still choose their own colours.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
rezzeJ  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Wait, are we doing it wrong? [Potential major Hubski experiment]

I use the Stylus extension to inject the CSS. It is available for both Chromium and Firefox browsers.

Here's a pastebin of the code to import. It's fully commented, so you can edit it to taste.

rezzeJ  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Wait, are we doing it wrong? [Potential major Hubski experiment]  ·

-----

Feed

-----

1. Increase font size to improve readability

2. Increase spacing between elements to improve readability

3. Domain and tag information moved over to the right to unclutter the left side of small text

4. Increased margins on main div to focus information into the centre as it stretches wide on larger displays

------

Posts

------

1. Increase title and body font sizes to improve readability

2. Increase spacing between paragraphs to improve readability

3. Limit body text div so it averages around ~15 words per line. This makes it easier to track writing line-to-line and maintain focus

----------

Comments

----------

1. Similar font and div size adjustments to posts

2. Increase spacing between comments to let them breathe more

-----

Chat

-----

1) Import modern font and force it to override retro font

2) Reduce main div width and centre it to focus information

3) Increase font sizes to improve readability.

4) Increase spacing between messages so it doesn't look like one massive block of text

5) Move usernames and timestamp above the message. This gives separation between the username and the message and unclutters the start of the message.

I dislike it. I think it makes things more complex. And in the history of attracting users and improving their experience on a website, the answer has rarely been: "let's make things more obscure and add more option toggles." Not to mention, if you need to introduce a core piece of functionality with the option to turn it off, it's probably not the right direction.

You say that people have complained to you that comments are tiring. Isn’t that just a consequence of ‘thoughtful discussion’? Thoughtful discussion demands time, effort and the willingness to be open to and understanding of other views. And sometimes it requires you to look at yourself and reassess what you thought and believed. Sounds tiring to me. But that doesn’t mean it’s not worthwhile.

So it seems to me that by introducing this functionality, you’re trying to open up spaces where people can more casually chat without the worry of being called out. That’s fair. But the solution to that has little to do with governing the way we share posts and comments. Instead, it’s about increasing the amount of content on the site that offers those opportunities. That either has to come from the existing user base or new users. I do not believe that this experiment will address that. All it does is risk segregating an already small community.

Also, I agree with kb. My suggestion for any immediate change would 100% be the UI. I've complained about it before, but it literally goes against a lot of the most basic contemporary UX guidelines. I inject over 100 lines of custom CSS just to make this place look okay. That's not right. Those of you older than me who grew up at the beginnings of the internet may think it's not that bad. But bad web design will absolutely drive newer generation users away before they even look at the content. And if users view the design of a website negatively, that will tinge their experience of the content. I mean, default Hubski is 9pt body text and 30 words per line (though the latter differs based on display size). That is egregious. Not to mention that it defies basic web accessibility standards.

rezzeJ  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 396th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

I'm glad you enjoy the selections! I do have a penchant for instrumental music. It's so easy to write cheesy lyrics and they always ruin an otherwise a good track for me. Math rock and prog are big offenders.

Having said that, some of my favourite music has vocals. Here's some off of the top of my head.

Moses Sumney - Doomed

R.A.P. Ferreira - Leaving Hell

Ichiko Aoba - bouquet

Steven Wilson - Drive Home

Dominique Fils-Aimé - Birds

Alice in Chains - Brother

rezzeJ  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 29, 2020

For sure, I always made sure of the ownership thing in previous contracts.

It's only a small label curated by an artist who's been in the scene since its inception. So there's not like there's a load of staff or anything. It's more that they just that they are well respected and know everybody! I believe that they do A+R for a bigger label too.

Most of the cost I think will go into the physical releases as they produce vinyls and CDs for the LP projects they release. It's not a label that churns out loads of releases. Instead, they tend to focus on fostering emerging talent with original takes on the genre. So whilst I always be on the look, I don't expect them to do anything to screw me over.

rezzeJ  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: BFV - Weekly music thread -- Thank you (ASK HUBSKI)

Excellent. *Sets infinite weekly reminder*

My question is: does this post officially count as the 393rd edition? I'm trying to decide whether my first post next week should be 393 or 394.

rezzeJ  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 29, 2020

Thank you!

We haven't done any contract talks yet. We're currently each choosing a list of 10 tracks to make up the LP then comparing.

Most contracts I've signed before have been pretty standard. The label takes 100% until they recuperate their costs, then a 50/50 split. Though this is a bit more of a serious thing, so maybe they'll be some differences. Once we get there, I will let you know if there's anything interesting.

Damn. Sorry to see bfv go. I was always impressed to see the post up every week.

I can keep the weekly post going if no-one else volunteers.

rezzeJ  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 29, 2020  ·

1754 days ago, I made a comment on here about how my music of the past seemed a lot more popular. And how each new track got fewer and fewer listeners. kleinbl00 responded by saying this:

Today, after 3 years of sending tracks across, I got the go ahead for an LP from a label I have great respect for. Needless to say, I am thrilled.

I remembered the above comment many times during those periods where I doubted myself. So thank you for that, kb.

rezzeJ  ·  62 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Harmonic analysis of Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human

For sure, there are some impressive tools popping up nowadays. One I saw recently that I thought looked great was Scaler 2.

I think it comes down to whether you value having that understanding for yourself. I feel it deepened my practice and also my connection with the music I love. But ultimately it doesn't matter if you know theory or not. A cool piece of music is a cool piece of music.

rezzeJ  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Harmonic analysis of Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human

I composed without theory knowledge for a long time. I think there are two types of "banging things together".

The first is when you don't have any expectations. You're playing random things and seeing what catches your attention.

The second is when you have half an idea already or you want to add a layer. You can hear where you want it to go in your mind's ear, but you're not sure how that translates to actual music. So you end up mindlessly testing things and it can get really frustrating the longer the search for the sound you want goes on. You feel lost.

In my experience, learning theory has helped the former by allowing me to add a catalyst to my noodling when absolute freedom isn't fruitful. And it's decreased the latter as I now know how my intuition translates into the craft. From being on /r/musictheory, this seems to be the case for most other composers too. So I reckon bhrgunatha is correct, it's a mixture.

That's why it's best to look at music theory as just a collection of frameworks and techniques gleaned from analysing music. In that way, it becomes a toolbox to draw from when needed. If you see it as an actual system for composing, it can become a prison.

rezzeJ  ·  72 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 8, 2020

I think a nicer way to represent the rating would be for the hubwheel itself to change colour. Then you wouldn't need loads of little 'thermometers' over the interface.

rezzeJ  ·  82 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 3, 2020

I dig both of these! The first one has a real classic feel to it. I think it must be that saturated Rhodes type sound (like in this track).

I look forward to hearing them fleshed out.

rezzeJ  ·  102 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 385th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

New Tigran Hamasyan

Amazing drumfunk release by dgoHn

ambient/electronic stuff from Steve Hauschildt. I was going to see this guy but the gig got cancelled due to lockdown.

rezzeJ  ·  103 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 3, 2020

Thanks! I'm glad you dig it. I'd call it a sextuplet groove. Septuplets would be 7, right?

The snare ghost notes come from an EQd, stereo delay on the drum buss. And yeah, compression is easy to abuse. Outside of the instances of Neutron and Ozone I slapped on the mix buss for this quick bounce, there's not a single compressor running on that track. I try to get most of the way there with arrangement and fader levels, then use EQ as the icing on the cake.

That percussion piece was rad. I never understand how people are sitting motionless watching stuff like that. It makes me move. Were you playing in that vid? I had drum lessons for years as a kid so I know all the weird drum rudiment jargon.

And I have heard of Knower! Louis Cole is a very talented musician. I especially enjoy the live versions of Overtime and Time Traveller.

rezzeJ  ·  106 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 3, 2020

Yep, it's bad. I hope that I can sway his viewpoint but I don't hold out much hope. He is quick to anger and get defensive. Arguments quickly stray off topic and turn into rants.

My skills in arguing and knowledge in the subject aren't currently good enough to pin him down. But I'm learning about both so maybe someday.

rezzeJ  ·  106 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 3, 2020

There's still a few things to do on this one but here is the track I have nearest to completion currently: https://clyp.it/djfcuy12?token=eedf8aa88b8b39b135575e46b766ac3f

rezzeJ  ·  107 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 3, 2020

I engaged my dad in a discussion about systemic racism and racial inequality in the UK today. He doesn't believe it exists. It's only a problem in the USA apparently. Most of the arguments I made were dismissed with the reasons of "that's the way they choose to behave" or "they're genetically predisposed to be that way". I pressed him on evidence for those claims but couldn't really nail anything down. I was more forthcoming with the basis for my claims but I don't think my arguments were good enough. I am committed to reading more and gaining more knowledge so that next time I am in a better position. Still, I was saddened to see this reaction from my dad, even though I half expected it.

The 38 days since I posted this poem have been a blur. I wrote it not long after we got the news that my aunt had committed suicide. I live with mum and game daily with my cousins so I encountered a lot of powerful emotions in the weeks following. Never have I felt empathy-based emotions so strongly before. The initial rawness appears to have passed now but I have no doubt that there's a lot of healing still to happen.

Otherwise, things have been good. My exercise and strength training has been going well. I'm really happy with how my music is sounding at the moment, even if I could be working harder. Nearly all the houses surrounding our communal garden are now occupied, which is nice. It really feels like a community now and seeing people in the garden every day helps lessen the isolation of lockdown. But most importantly, I am going to go kayaking again soon. I can't wait.

rezzeJ  ·  146 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Write a poem in less than 3 minutes

I've never seen you that way before

beside me

broken

few words spoken

few words needed

I've never felt this way before

I feel my own pain for the loss

but rawer within me is the pain you feel

a second-hand grief

rezzeJ  ·  149 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 22, 2020

I guess by your use of the word 'trudged' that you don't rate Horizon Zero Dawn too highly? It's coming to PC sometime in the future and I was optimistic about it.

I enjoyed my time with The Outer Worlds. Good catch with Vicar Max, I hadn't made that link. I think that the companion characters are some of the strongest bits of the game. I especially enjoyed how they interact with each other.

But yeah, as you say, the story plods in the middle. Then it's like: psyche! You're actually halfway through the final act. Wait, who exactly is the antagonist? Oh well, here's the final mission.

I was also disappointed by how little weight it felt like your decisions had. There's the one big decision you make on the first planet which feels impactful. And there's a cool potential interaction with a companion too during the decision. But after that, nothing felt that important.

In a funny twist of fate, the writer for Outer Wilds has now been hired by the creators of The Outer Worlds. Potentially to work on the sequel.

Also, if you have a spare 15 minutes, there's a good video of the devs of The Outer Worlds reacting to a 12 minute speed run of their game. Obvious spoiler warning if you haven't completed it yet.

I think you may be talking about the RPG The Outer Worlds. A decent game but not a patch on Outer Wilds for me.

Outer Wilds is an adventure/exploration game about a solar system stuck in a time-loop. There is no formal objective. Instead, you search the solar system as you please to learn about an alien race that came before you and their purpose in what is now your home.

An easy mixup to make considering their similar names and the fact that they came out in the same year.

Has anyone else here played Outer Wilds? I completed it a few days ago and I can't stop thinking about. Plenty of games have had an emotional impact on me, but none quite like this. I feel a sense of emptiness now that I've finished it. Perhaps that sounds pretentious, but it is genuine. It's hard to talk about it without spoiling it. Every moment is filled with such imagination and depth that a relatively small game world feels huge. It puts most sprawling open worlds to shame. I think it may have become my favourite game of all time. Play it.

I've been training pull-ups for the last few months and progress has been pretty good. It's interesting to see the sharp initial rise in reps as your muscle memory improves and your body gets used to the movement. Then increases become more gradual once improvement comes down to strength/muscle gain. I've also been blasting the core workouts which are never not brutal. But it's all to keep me in good stead for when I can get in the kayak again. I was supposed to be going to Slovenia in June to kayak on the literal paradise that is Soča river. Oh well, maybe next year...

I've been taking an online course in logic and critical thinking. It's something I've been meaning to do for a while, but the comment that johnnyFive left on this article I posted was the straw that broke the camel's back. It was at that point that it became too clear for me to ignore that it's unsatisfactory to read an article and just think "hmm that's interesting" without really examining it further. So thanks for helping me push back the dark. I'm coming to the end of the first part of course and I've already learnt a tonne. It started from the very basics, but it's been super useful and I dig the conversational, in-depth style it has. I'm looking forward to learning more.

rezzeJ  ·  154 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Tree That Owns Itself

rezzeJ  ·  155 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Radio.garden

Yeah, I love this website. A personal favourite from my travels on there is Japan's Shonan Beach FM.

Another cool 'radio' site is Radiooooo. You select a country and a decade, then it plays the relevant music.