We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
mk's comments

I don't mean brand in the traditional sense. I mean in regards to getting a personal message out there. Who you can sway depends upon how you do it, how tactful and respectful you are.

Build your own brand. YouTube or podcast. Pick an issue, create a format, knock it out. Repeat 100 times while improving along the way, and you won't need an organization.

nowaypablo  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not to diminish the ambition here, but I'd argue that building a brand in the form of producing media on the issue doesn't do well for swinging minds to your side, particularly nowadays.

Unless it's a matter of getting people who agree on your issues to act on them, broadcasting develops an audience of people that are the opposite of fallingsaucer's target. Think of campaign ads in an election.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

fallingsaucer  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're right. I'm going to check out a political party and see if I can contribute that way.

nowaypablo  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

oh man. thats so not what I meant to suggest.

fallingsaucer  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Looks like it could be a way to get experience via volunteering. It will give me political connections for when I get my own organization up and running. I don't intend to do the vlogging thing anyhow; I don't have that kind of expertise. I merely want to contribute to a cause I see as important with the skills my psychology degree and experience has provided. There may yet be better options..

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Welocome, whatjaydoes!

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

Sounds like a plan.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

Coming back from NYC. I was able to dine with ecib, his wife and some good old friends last night. That was wonderful. We opened NYC with today, and the doc, clinic, and clients were great. Then to a potential investor meeting.

One of my favorite parts of FL is meeting clients at their procedures. It's oddly like Hubski, unusually intelligent, cool people. Half of the time, they bring up cryptocurrency.

I'm in MDW, and I'm tired. Next week is all travel.

I need a week at home.

I'm reading Man-eaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett. It's amazing. Highly recommended. Before that I read Hummingbird by (Rude) Jude Angelini. It is a work of art. Do read. I knew him casually growing up, and always admired his wit and genuine nature. The book is raw.

mk  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How to spot a financial crisis before it spots you

Trump will start a war.

am_Unition  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

What really bothers me is that Trump and/or his strategists have undoubtedly concluded that a new enemy/war would have a net positive effect on his approval rating. And he needs that.

"Disasters are great for GDP but terrible for the economy."

- paraphrased from a JP Morgan Chase note a few weeks back

steve  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I hope you are wrong.

OftenBen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

We are already at war now, I'm not sure if the average American would even notice if we added another front.

It's pretty much semantic at this point, isn't it? Invade iraq? We're at war. Hang out in iraq and Afghanistan for decades? We're "keeping the peace." Either way, always support our troops, put on your flag pin, tie a yellow ribbon and god help you if you question a foreign policy entirely dependent on imperialism.

mk  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Today's Writing Prompt: This Is What It's Like

This is what it's like

To make a universe

Small in your mind

And bre(e or a)ch it into the world

Spread eagle

And say

What is up

People

Because that is what I incubated

And sorry not sorry

I didn't ask to be born

mk  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia

When we had a baby five years ago, I had to switch my phone to silent. I haven't switched it back. I can't imagine it making noise at me now.

Email is my favorite method of communication.

mk  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: California Wine Country is burning

There was substantial smoke here in SF. I can't imagine what it is like nearby.

mk  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 4, 2017

Awesome! Welcome aboard!

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Job Interview in two hours... USE YOUR MAGIC

Others won't get it, but you will. You are a force that moves the universe to your will.

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 4, 2017

I spend a decent chunk of time reading about new RPG systems now.

PM me an address, and I'll send you mine.

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 4, 2017

Inconsistent behavior is the most confounding. I'm guessing that post drafts work, but that comments don't, and that it arose from the 'reply' to 'discuss' conversion. Button names and values, and the efficiency of Arc.

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wrote my kleinbl00-argument-by-tome using lots of drafts, so comment drafts definitely did work.

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 4, 2017

I have yet to get away time down to less than 50%. Most of that is SF time. It has a lot to do with raising money, but I know there are plenty of reasons that are going to do the same on the other side of this. I've got CAx2, NC, and NY already for the rest of this month.

Posted a-ha unplugged with the pubski account. :/

My daughter is 5yo and is surprising me in the best ways. She is clever and empathic, and I worry about doing anything that negatively impacts her trajectory. I'm asking my wife to be too resilient.

I'm writing and painting as much as possible, and took a long walk to Mozart yesterday. The busier I am, the more I need to balance it out. I did this with a painting the other day:

Boring... what about this?

Gawd, imgur has photobucketed. Where do we turn? Anyhow, that's just a new beginning, but I'm far more optimistic about it. I'm learning what not to do.

I did some literature diving the past week (which has some jazz to it) and have a number of experiments that I'm almost giddy about. I can't get them underway soon enough.

Our chicken laid its first egg Monday, and my daughter saved it for me. I can't blame the chicken for its timing. It's a coin toss.

I see drafts are still not drafts, veen. Will fix.

I wrote a poem too:

I am here at the ready

For all the dream strangers

Who defy explanation

As my actual loved ones

Passed on some time ago

And without abatement

Destinations, layovers

These oddly familiars

Feign only to co-opt

My fashions remembered

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Weird, drafts worked on my end the past few days. This is a draft, let's see...

Edit: Yep! Borked again.

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 4, 2017

Are you on chess w friends? I need people to beat me. My user name is fangolo.

Devac  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nope, sorry. I'm only on lichess and that's primarily because weewooweewoo and I play there occasionally. Plus that Stockfish AI they have for machine matches is a neat way to kill some time. Just in case, my username there is devac.

Also, still no smartphone. Tried using two different ones for a month or so and got fed up with both of them for different reasons.