We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
mk's comments
mk  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Toyota, Merck Join Ethereum Group to Build Blockchain Network

Ripple doesn't have smart contracts, and I doubt folk would want to build a Rootstock for Ripple, seeing as it's not really decentralized. Ripple Labs can choose truth. As there's no public hyperledger used, it has none of the creativity being invested at a much higher cost.

But yes, I expect a pullback at some point. But who knows from whither to where.

kleinbl00  ·  24 minutes ago  ·  link  ·

All these arguments are true and we still ended up with VHS. That Betamax was objectively better on every front but one did not matter because that one front - the ability to fit a 2-hour movie on a single tape - ended up dominating the market.

A Blu-ray player has the physical capability of playing an HD-DVD. It won't, though. They even use the same codec. It's arguably a superior format in many, many ways and the manufacturers could have made a device that played both - nobody did but Samsung. It was argued backintheday that Microsoft and Apple picked opposite sides on that battle for the express purpose of making sure neither format became dominant ahead of streaming because physical media was in neither of their business plans. Sho'nuff, Silverlight is the backbone of internet streaming and Quicktime has been canonized into FCC broadcast rules.

A rational market would choose Ethereum. Markets are rarely as rational as we think they are.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Scam Economy is Entering its Baroque Phase

I do think some damage will be done to Ethereum, but that it won't be lasting. More likely there will be much ado, but where there's money to be made, things work out.

Long ago, we talked to the Atlantic, The New Republic, and NPR. It was pretty clear that if the numbers aren't there, it's not worth their time. It's somewhat understandable.

I recall that WaPo hired CmdrTaco of Skashdot a few years ago. I don't know if he's still there. They seem to be a bit more forward-leaning on social.

Isherwood  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Have you thought about doing something akin to feeds? You could use something like (SMMRY)[http://smmry.com/] to get the blurbs and probably the URL structure or something to make tags.

I mean, they're curating, but besides that there's no real added value. (actually, you can use their API to sort by top, so they don't even have a human curating.)

ThatFanficGuy  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I see. Well, it was worth a shot. You want to invite those who could shed light upon what they wrote to a more interested and educated audience.

This gives me an idea that you might use. Maybe, instead of inviting representatives from the whole paper, you could ask them to send the memo to the writers. "If you wanna, there's a good audience here. You can inform us of the stuff you write and get an honest, educated opinion in return". It sounds like something Hubski would welcome.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: DIYski! Lasercutting my own desk

That's amazing. Did you put any clear coat on it? I bet that would really make it pop.

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I didn't put anything on the wood as I wanted to know how it would look like untouched. I have some mahogany lacquer lying around too...

Step 1: write whitepaper touting Ethereum-styled revolution of X

Step 2. ICO

Step 3. Profit

veen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Seriously though, what do you think of the -in my opinion- bananas ICO offerings of the last weeks? MobileGo for example is now at $32 million invested. It doesn't help that Eth is moonshooting to $150 (omg) as I type - but still, there is a lot of value supposedly placed in tiny, unproven startups and I am worried what the consequences of such rampant speculation will be on the credibility of the platform.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

am_Unition  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I'm afraid that was the only option ever on the table. The account looks great, clean implementation and everything, the problem is... yeah, "other people" on reddit.

I got $20 that says ResearchGate will revolutionize internet legitimacy. They seem to really understand the playing field. At least the publishing companies should be quaking in their boots.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I now live in New Jersey

Been to Ohio, been to Jersey. I think it's an upgrade. Is there a job there?

JTHipster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Yep, starting tomorrow. Remote sometimes.

They were sending me a work laptop that was supposed to be there last Friday, but its coming Tuesday, to Ohio. So that's good.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski idea: registering "mention" nicknames

Mind blown. You just did it.

Oh did you create a link there?

ThatFanficGuy  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Oh did you create a link there?

I did.

Best thing is: after you sanitize it for HTML and JS, you can input multiple-word names that way ("that fanfic guy, you know"), because all you have to do is bring the string between the separator and the ending at-sign as the link text.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Which tech giant would you drop first?

Facebook, then Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, then Google.

I went for a couple of years without Facebook and it was NBD. I keep considering dropping my iPhone, but haven't yet. That's the only Apple product I use.

Single-cell organisms don't age. It's a multicellular thing.

mk  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My first portrait painting: River Gao

Thanks! Oil on wood. I use some liquin and walnut oil for mixing.

AFAIK they typically die in their sleep from a stroke or heart attack. We always die from something going wrong, not age.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

...age, apparently, simply causing stuff to go wrong. See all the living creatures who don't die of old age and/or rejuvenate.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Single-cell organisms don't age. It's a multicellular thing.

Maybe not... that's a complicated question.

Do you become less deserving? Serious question. Is it a matter of ROI?

snoodog  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well ROI for that is negative so that's a pretty good reason not to. Better invest in fighting diseases that have high end of life cost so people live long enough to die from heart attack

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm very excited about Divinity Original Sin's GM mode

Looks like some serious fun. You've played it?

Isherwood  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

The GM mode isn't out yet but the first act of Divinity Original Sin 2 is in early access and it's really fun. The only problem is that your saves games get deleted every now and then when they push a big update, but it's kind of worth it for all the stuff they add. The full game, with GM mode, is supposed to hit sometime this year.

I've played DOS 1 a few times start to finish and it's one of my favorites. It's a great 2 player couch co-op (DOS2 will be 4 player) and it's the first game that I thought really got close to the "do anything" vibe of table tops.

Sorry, this comment is private.