mk's comments
mk  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 284th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Now Tom Arnold and Cohen are walking it back. Maybe lawyers said shut up, maybe Tom Arnold is just another crazy Boomer.

snoodog  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I bet the damages to the studio for breach of contract would be insane

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Unite the Right Organizer Gets Approval for “White Civil Rights” Rally in D.C.

400 people. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to get 4000 counter demonstrators.

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would think they'd get more than 400. Unless Nazis being fired after marching in Charlottesville gave them less courage in their conviction. Which is amusing to think about as I type it. DC is not a place to expect less than massive counter protest. These people are morons

mk  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: FRED: Coinbase Ethereum

Tuesday.

Well there you go. I guess we're real boys now.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 20, 2018

You are responsible for your own behavior. It sounds perfectly reasonable that she wouldn't want to hang out with your mutual friend, but from what you've written, it sounds like you ought to be extended the benefit of the doubt. Of course, she can decide whatever she wants. It's worth considering that she might be going/working through something.

mk  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My Opa

I first met him at the Stone House at your wedding. Later in the evening, my wife and I strolled into the house where we were greeted by him. He gave us some food, and we have a lively conversation. He made a powerfully warm impression. Your Opa was a creator.

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Judge revokes Manafort's bail. He will now await trial in jail

Wow. Thanks for dusting that off.

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sex and Drugs Decline Among Teens, but Depression and Suicidal Thoughts Grow

Worked for me. Only half kidding.

b_b  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

No joke

moslydeaf  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

It worked for me till it didn't haha. It generally got me through till the point I worked out a lifepath of sorts for myself though. I'm curious what can be done for you the youth to decrease depression and fatalism. I know there's been studies linking social media and depression, I also know that's a much bigger thing for the younger generation, more so than mine (I'm 25). I haven't had anything beyond an Instagram for following artists in 5 years so am unsure how you tackle something so entangled in many people's lives.

Job prospects and having hope in the future are an issue too I'm sure, but its hard to be content with a blue collar job and a hobby a side hustle when you see everyone's highlight real on Facebook and snapchat

ThatFanficGuy  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I know there's been studies linking social media and depression

I did a project for my Psychology course in the uni, a translation of a study. The point of study was that there are two ways in which people compare themselves to others: upward (when you look up to someone and feel sorry for not having it just as good) and downward (when you look down and someone and pity them for not having it as you good as you do). It's especially prominent in social media.

Upward comparison leads to narcissism and self-centeredness. Downward comparison leads to decreased self-esteem and is a contributing factor towards depression.

Job prospects and having hope in the future are an issue too I'm sure

I can only speak for my country, but it seems like it's a problem present in both Russia and the US, to varying degrees. Here, most people insist that you need "the paper" (a uni or similar higher ed diploma) to get a job. Most people study just to get it, regardless of the degree or the university, because they believe it allows them the promised prospects.

Government jobs necessitate it, which is understandable, but there are plenty of jobs where skill is all you need yet where "the paper" is a requirement. Translation, for example: if you possess a decent level of the language, it's easy to see what is a good translation and what is not.

I don't have a clue whether it's as bad as people say it is. I've only ever been in semi-official positions: car wash, construction; neither asked me for the diploma. "Get to work". "Yes, sir".

My sister's first degree is in beer brewing. Her mother insisted she get "the paper", and my sister still had no specialty job; closest she got to beer was bartending. Her second is in legal; she had a migration service job for a while, then moved on to court office. She's been trying to get the education she wanted - social work - for a few years now, and every time there's a bump on the road - and she can't enter the uni that year. She's 33.

Our Economics 101 teacher, much as I dislike her, made a good point when she said that higher education gets devalued through the increase in student influx. When everyone needs a degree even to mop the floors (which a cliche people use when describing the situation), you get overcrowded classes, a ton of students who don't give a crap about the field and, therefore, more work for the same small staff of teachers. Her point was that, with more students who get into higher ed because they "have to", there are fewer genuine specialists ready to work in the field, and in an already-oversaturated job market, it can only lead to people working somewhere other than their field of expertise.

johnnyFive  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Those are all true things, and are generally consistent with my own experience and what I've read.

Degree saturation is absolutely a problem. It kind of makes sense from the employer's standpoint, though: you can be basically outsoure verifying someone's competence, which I could see being especially nice in something somewhat more subjective (like translation). There's also a degree of standardization that comes from a formal education. You can be self-taught and good at something, but I think there are more likely to be skill gaps, and you also may not be able to communicate as effectively if you haven't been taught your field's specific vocabulary.

In the U.S., the big problem is student loans. It's far too easy to get what feels like free money, and so even as the economy and job market fell off a cliff, no one was doing the cost-benefit analysis (to the extent that you can gather enough information). Meanwhile, universities are too unwilling to fail people or to deny admission.

This is a big problem within the legal profession. Bar passage rates have been declining steadily for the last several years, and the American Bar Association (ABA), which accredits law schools in the US, has largely been asleep at the switch (when they're not being arbitrary). It may actually be good for the health of the profession in the long term, in that it'll reduce the number of lawyers to saner and more sustainable levels. But that doesn't help all the people who were granted admission to and graduated from law school but who simply lack the ability to pass the bar exam. The bar exam is hard.

My own experience is not inconsistent with this. I have a side job where I grade essays for a bar review class (this is a separate, privately-run course that prepares you for your state's bar exam). Basically every term, I have someone who is clearly a non-native English speaker, and who is simply incapable of passing. This person usually can't fully understand the question (you have to pay attention to very specific details a lot of the time), and then is unable to convey their answer with enough clarity and detail. (There are times when I don't even know what they're actually arguing.) Yet these are all people who have post-graduate degrees from ABA-approved law schools.

tacocat  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

It worked for me till it didn't

I say that exact thing pretty often

moslydeaf  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're always on top till you realize you hit bottom haha, or something along those lines. From what I've gleaned lurking it seems we have some shared experiences in that department.

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SEC indicates that BTC and ETH are not securities, some cryptocurrencies and tokens are.

Hey stop that crazy talk!

It's all in there, but in short, they aren't purposed for or effectively making one controlling group rich.

katakowsj  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good news. Seems like they would be purposed for or effectively making one controlling group rich the moment they became securities, wouldn't they?

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey stop that crazy talk!

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ECB moves to unwind QE

I expect we shall see a jubilee eventually. Math does not add up.

Look for your managed retirement to be buying up shiny instruments that are rated super-duper but backed by corporate debt that is 💩.

I'm sure not all corporate debt can go bad at once and if you package it, then it's derisked and can carry a higher rating. /s

It basically means that you needn't be a registered securities broker to buy and sell them. It would have been a crushing classification.

It's a very good thing for them both.

katakowsj  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Any special reason that BCT and ETH are spared?

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

katakowsj  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey stop that crazy talk!

mk  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

Everyone does.

mk  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

It's your fault for dressing like you do.

b_b  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

I always thought we worked together well because we had a similar ethos but complementary skills. Turns out you just want to fuck me.

mk  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Everyone does.

mk  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

Dude you've got to put the at signs around my name to let me know our IP was licensed.

Congratulations, buddy. I know you put your heart and soul in this. Glad to be a small part.