mk's comments
mk  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What did Earth look like X years ago?

I think that’d be amazing. Make it open source so people could build apps for it.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 13, 2019

It was good seeing you in CA.

mk  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Welcome, petaz.

mk  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Reddit users are the least valuable of any social network

Hubskiers are priceless.

francopoli  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you'd fix the donation link we could fix that, ya' know.

KapteinB  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sign Hubski up as a Flattr creator and it'll get a few bucks from me every month.

steve  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 317th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

cgod  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

While very different from the Mills Brothers I've been listening to a fair bit of Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five. It's got a similar feel.

I still love me some Mills Brothers.

mk  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 6, 2019

About to start making the circuit after several weeks of little travel. Taking bigger rather than smaller bites atm.

mk  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Enduring the tide: the flooded Philippine islands that locals won't leave

I think the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is selling a best case scenario. The sea level is not going to creep up.

I was walking in Miami Beach with my daughter last weekend, and told her that one day she will be able to tell her kids about how she walked in Miami before it was gone.

Glacier, which has recorded some of the most rapid melt rates out of anywhere in Antarctica. Currently thought to be pouring about 50 billion tons of ice into the ocean each year, scientists estimate Thwaites is responsible for about 4 percent of global sea-level rise all on its own.

And they’re worried it could be getting worse.

Some researchers are concerned that the giant glacier could become increasingly unstable in the coming years, eventually spiraling into a pattern of unstoppable retreat. If that were to happen, it could potentially unleash enough ice to raise global sea levels by 10 feet.

Reality for me was when Zurich:Re bumped up the rates they were charging other insurance companies to write policies in coastal areas. It was like "have whatever cosmology you want about this, we're here for the benjamins." That was maybe ten years ago.

Now the Navy is doing FONOPs in the Arctic Ocean because they can and they're building fourteen sea walls to protect naval bases.

I saw the hole thing this morning. Miami at 10ft.

user-inactivated  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's part of what makes this a compelling article. Because of the quakes that caused the islands to dip a bit, the flooding started relatively abruptly. If sea levels rise faster than we expect, this might become a pretty common scenario. Between you, me, and anyone else reading this, I'm actually not that surprised the people on these islands are staying. Humans are pretty resilient and can survive under so many conditions that can be considered less than ideal.

That said, I think as situations where communities are facing hardship due to climate change start cropping up more and more, we need to ask some very important questions. Are people staying because they genuinely want to stay, or because there are too many barriers to relocating? If there are barriers to relocating, we need to figure out what they are and what we can do to help address them. If people genuinely want to stay, then we need to look at the challenges that will face them if they do and how some of them can be addressed. For example, for this community here, the flooded houses, the floating waste, and the hampered ability to grow food in the community are all issues that are cause for concern, but also ones that can probably realistically be tackled with the right knowledge and resources.

Agreed.

You can link now. :)

user-inactivated  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you! I appreciate it.

Oh. Hmm. I still get a message that says ...

Sorry, as a new user, you cannot post links in comments. You will get this ability after a while.

That's okay though. If you want to check it out, the article's title is A $9 trillion corporate debt bomb is ‘bubbling’ in the US economy. It's a bit long, but it covers quite a bit, so it's worth the read.

blackbootz  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

Said article I believe.

user-inactivated  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's the one. Thank you.

mk  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 314th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

mk  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 16, 2019

It was a tumultuous work week. I feel like I am building up a catch-up post, but there’s too much in the air atm. I’m doing a bit of hardware hacking at FL and it’s fun. I think I have something unique and cool to share once patents are filed.

I need to take my family somewhere quiet and warm for a couple of days.

I started a painting for mike, which he commissioned. I charged him 1 ETH.

A good friend got me that easel as an Xmas surprise. Blew my mind.

mk  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Have aliens found us? Interview with Avi Loeb, Chair of Harvard Astronomy Department

I haven’t read it yet, so I don’t know if there’s an outcome, but something we cannot dismiss would be the most gentle form of first contact.

Naaah it cruised through and lobbed a singularity kernel at the center of the Earth to bring about our timely destruction. Just ask Greg Bear or David Brin.

And the fact that you haven't read Arthur C Clarke's The Pale King is criminal. You could finish it in two flights.

mk  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 9, 2019

Too much toast. Too little butter!

mk  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 313th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

mk  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: WSJ: Computer models to investors: Short Everything

It seems all bullish articles talk about market movements, and all bearish articles talk about the fundamentals of a credit cycle.