We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
mk's comments
mk  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Hopefully not for SEO. Welcome.

mk  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Shopski: MR2 Intake Pipe

Nice. I've never had the pleasure to work on an 'extra' car. That's something I need to address someday. I love the reward of doing it, but having no choice (and my wife asking how long it will take) takes a bit of enjoyment out of it.

Jealous of your MR2.

lm  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I wish this was an 'extra' car--right now I have three broken cars and one working truck, and I'd rather not be driving it every day. Hopefully this one will be our daily before summer.

(Our last daily is waiting on me to decide what I'm going to do with it...)

Sorry, this comment is private.
mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Are Carl Icahn, Howard Marks, And Heisenberg All Wrong About ETFs?

What if it's not a matter of will, but one of able? Do you think there is a possibility of an AIG like scenario for the APs?

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I don't know enough to answer with certainty but not in how I understand ETFs. AIG got blown up because they were trading CDOs - a contract whose value was tied to the inverse ability of groups of consumers to pay their mortgages. They were effectively long on the mortgage industry but short on its source of revenue. This went on because nobody knew what CDOs were or why they were being traded until the grenade had been blew up.

ETFs, on the other hand, are transparent. They are made up of actual securities traded on actual exchanges reflecting actual physical limits of quantities. The buying and selling of those securities is artificially managed in order to produce an outcome that mimics some magical number but at the end of the day, ownership of securities changes hands in order to produce their performance.

The argument is that the securities could take a shit so bad you wouldn't want to buy them but ETFs are made up of long holdings, not short ones. You can't lose more than the total value of the stock. Not only that, but you have to hold the stock - that's another place where AIG came apart at the seams, they didn't have securities, they had obligations.

I know the argument made in the article is that the APs aren't actually holding the securities, they're trading notes on big bits of them... but they still aren't multiplying them. They aren't playing with more than exist. That's a big difference... again assuming I actually understand this shit.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Welcome, adelsm96.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The beginning of the end? Reddit introduces profile pages

I just badged a gif on Hubski.

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Leading by example.

veen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's all downhill from here.

francopoli  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

GO BACK TO REDDIT YOU CANCER!!!

(please don't leave)

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 22, 2017

Traveling on my daughter's fifth birthday. :(

Hoping it's a productive trip.

I think Reddit's new profiles are all about the AMAs.

update The meeting this morning was productive. I think we met a famous sportsball player. In DEN getting a wedge salad. The wedge is so dumb, but I love it.

Well, now following users and profile pages. :)

WanderingEng  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

The filter for r/all seems awfully familiar, too.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Letter To Theo aka Grab Them By The Pussy (#dr Huxtable #10)

Oh shit.

mk  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Update: You must be this thoughtful to post to Hubski

The goal is really not to set the bar high, but to sift out those that aren't here to contribute.

As mentioned, I think having a limit to how many people you can promote in a day will prevent abuse. Even a 1 per hour limit would likely be enough.

mk  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Update: You must be this thoughtful to post to Hubski

Yes, that's the case. However, I think we are going to limit to once per day for each user.

katakowsj  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Vouch and Sponsor? They seem effective to me,, but are the connotations correct? Are we creating a new-age Fremasonry or The Loyal Order of Water Buffalo? (For those Flintstones fans).

To me "highlight" seems closer, not there yet, but is there a way to communicate "This account has demonstrated they are here to add more than they take, or not spam the crap out of us all?"

kantos  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Of the connotations that can be relayed, I found 'highlight' as the least personable. To escape from guessing intentions in diction, I'm more a fan of 'circledot' or 'wheel' or 'some hubski-esque word without meaning'. Keeps it central to the site and no room for interpretation.... you just circledot them, take know?

EDIT: This sound weird, but the more I think about it, why not 'orange'? That's what we all see as our own posts/comments.

One "nice" thing about comment spam, is that it is far more annoying, and users have some tools at their disposal. We will cross that bridge if need be.

I am starting to like the idea of rate-limiting promotion to once per person per day.

goobster  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm on the other side of this fence. If there is a great comment thread with several really good ideas, or several posts with excellent comments, I don't want to be told I cannot reward that person for their quality content due to some arbitrary constraint imposed by the software.

Participation should not be punished.

However, I could see limiting a user's number of promotions for their first month of membership, or preventing them from being the first person to promote a post... that could limit the spammers enough to discourage them.

Devil's advocacy: if their content is that great, others will promote them.

Does raise a point, though. There's no way to identify who's been promoted and who hasn't. Maybe it's time to revisit the color scheme.

thenewgreen  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

This may be too much complexity, but we could allow you a daily amount of "welcomes" based on how many badges you have. If you only have one badge, you get one welcome. If you're kleinbl00, you get a thousand.

I find that if you spend your time fixing problems you don't have, you run out of energy for the problems you do.

Vouch isn't bad, especially if there is tracking of who is granting the hubwheels. There isn't currently.

dublinben  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

If it's just another line in the database, it can't hurt to keep track of. It may come in handy with anti-spam efforts if this ever becomes a problem.

It's possible, but it if it looks like an issue, we will change things so as to know who is so dastardly, and who they have promoted.

Another possibility is to rate-limit it. Say, you can only promote once per day.

Jw, what're the current password requirements?

Very very low.

_refugee_  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I actually don't know mine, but it's not because I use some fancy password manager. One time I got drunk and changed it to a string of random letters and numbers I don't know.

For what it's worth, same deal with my Facebook.

But hey! Can't hurt to make those reqs any bit more stringent, could it? Another barrier to entry for new users, why not? Hubski doesn't force log outs ever so no one existing would be impacted.

_refugee_  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Security - not even. Moderation? Si. Barriers to participation? Si. Enforced distance? Siiiiii

mk  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: PSA: We have halved our server costs, and our annual funding goal.

Thanks, buddy!