mk's comments
mk  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beer-boiled hotdogs

Yeah the existence of Hamm's defies logic. Thing is, we are at an Airbnb on Lake Huron, and someone left the beach house fridge full of them. It was either the Hamm's or $2/bottle double IPAs. I don't think hops would benefit the dogs either.

The dogs were complimented all around.

kleinbl00  ·  4 hours ago  ·  link  ·

It's volunteer beer? That makes more sense.

mk  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beer-boiled hotdogs

If they are natural casing, I suggest boiling until they split.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Where even Walmart won't go: how Dollar General took over rural America

It would be nice if the only Congress could give a private industry a tax advantage. These towns are too easily preyed upon. I was just driving through the UP of MI and saw some DGs going up. It gave me a sad feeling.

b_b  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Tax breaks of course represent a way to lure companies into certain geographies, and I think that there can be useful use cases. However, on the balance they're really destructive, and have set up a race to the bottom between states. The Amazon second headquarters is the most obvious right now (and the Foxxcon sweepstakes of a couple years ago), but it happens all the time with companies moving cities and states. The "Texas Miracle" was driven by Rick Perry essentially telling every single company he could that there are few taxes and no additional environmental regulations in his shithole of a state (not exactly sure what their marketing materials said, but I'm sure it was close to that if you read the euphemisms correctly). Detroit just about threw a party last week when Chemical Bank announced it was building a new 20 story building in downtown without asking for any local abatements (they're becoming the city's preferred banker though, so it's still a sweetheart deal). So many of these deal are zero sum in terms of job creation, but they are essentially stealing from the schools, the road commission, the water quality inspectors, etc. I have no idea how you tackle this problem, but it's spiraling to a very shitty place.

On the face of it, the Interstate Highway System was a big-government giveaway that aimed to decentralize the United States through military applications. A similar infrastructure program designed to facilitate manufacturing or technology in small towns would turn everything around.

Create an ecosystem whereby small entrepreneurs received federal funds for recolonizing failing small towns and those small towns would cease to fail. Of course, that would run afoul of states' rights and is therefore communist and will therefore never happen.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Burning Man 2018: Who's Going?

Interesting. Thanks!

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

On the BM website, before you're able to do anything else, a few questions/prompts pop up. One is to remind people to be present in the moment and not connect with the default world via phone is possible.

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

Not I, but I have a question: Is there cell reception on the playa?

JackTheBandit  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

it was spotty upto 2015. the pershing police and BLM demanded better service.

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

There is. I learned that's been around for about 5 years.

However, I put my phone on airplane mode the whole week.

I do preload music charts on my phone for the jams at the jazz cafe, but aside from that I don't use my phone. I bring a watch for time and disposable cameras for photos.

mk  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting. Thanks!

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
mk  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SPACE FORCE

This is the politics of stupidity. Stupid people asking for the support of stupid people, to help them do something stupid.

b_b  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Whatever. I'm still getting a spaceforce bomber jacket as soon as it's available.

mk  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 290th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

mk  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 8, 2018

Being off-the-grid for two weeks was something I really needed. I am still working to get my head back up to speed with my current life, however. The previous last two weeks, I whittled a small canoe, painted a cottage, drove a four wheeler, fished, and drank beer. Things like that. I also attended two memorials for family members of the Greatest Generation. One was for my grandmother. I cried through my eulogy. My brother got a boat. It's been a while since we had a proper boat at the cottage, and it was a blast. Next year, I am building a sauna.

I'm still going somewhere with this painting. Not sure where.

mk  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: WHAT YOUR FAVORITE ’80S BAND SAYS ABOUT YOU

Nope.

New Order: You own several fish tanks but no fish.
mk  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Nope! :)

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 1,2018

In the North for a few more days. Going days without a phone is wonderful.

oyster  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

It’s weird to me that your “North” is south of me.

b_b  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Detroit, where I live, is the one place in America where you have to drive South to get into Canada.

mk  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 25, 2018 [closed]

Ye of little faith.

veen  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

My beer's more appetizing though.

FUCKING HELL I'M DONE WITH HALF-DRUNK BEER

thenewgreen  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

Needs the Hubski logo in there, like the one Mk uses.

veen  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

In all these years I've never noticed that. Mind blown.

Is that all it takes to keep my bourbon from being rejected? I'll bloody photoshop that shit right now!

i mean

I'll whine to veen to photoshop that shit right now!

spencerflem  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

Try #2, less subtle this time

spencerflem  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

Here's my attempt

thenewgreen  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh, I dunno. I think the beer is likely here to stay. Tradition. But mk can choose upon his return from the great northern shores of Michigan.

Screw your beer

user-inactivated  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
thenewgreen  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
mk  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Overview of Augur decentralized market predictions.

It's already being used as a futures contract for cryptocurrencies. I think the first big use cases will be financial. However, November will be interesting.

mk  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 18, 2018

Yes, it's a place where some well to do MI folk escape to.

Harbor Springs is LP though. Don't upset the Yoopers. Or will you be in the UP also?

lil  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have friends in HS that I'm hoping to drop in on. I guess LP is Lower Penninsula are maybe Left Penninsula. It looks pretty upper to me. I imagine that I'll drive in through the Soo. Are you in the thumb of the mitten? We'll probably head over to Canada through Sarnia. It looks like we are able to not drag the U-Haul and get everything shipped instead so that will make cross-country a bit easier.

mk  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 18, 2018

My wife and daughter have returned after 3 weeks in China, which is very nice. I'll be headed to the UP of MI next week for a much needed vacation.

This is a painting I recently started:

I'm taking a different approach in this one. We will see where it leads.

goobster  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah. The UP. That mystical foreign land my Minneapolis-born wife speaks of in hushed tones, from time to time...

lil  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

Have you heard of Harbor Springs? I hope to be passing through the UP of MI at the end of August.

mk  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, it's a place where some well to do MI folk escape to.

lil  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·