We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
mk's comments
mk  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: More longevity blogging.

I don't know enough about leukemia to say with certainty. I suspect that if they are in remission or 'cured', then the cells would be useful. I also imagine that certain gene-editing or even cell-selection technologies could be applied to the cells ex vivo, so if there is a genetic component that can be corrected for, they might be useful in that way.

I've wondered if there are any studies that are harvesting the stem cells of patients with blood cancers, selecting out the non-cancerous ones, and expanding those cells for an autologous transplant after chemo-ablation of their cancerous ones. I'll have to look into it.

Serious question and no intent to nit-pick: is it the case of some subtle English thing about contexts, or did you mean to write 'cognitive deficits alleviation/reversal' but missed it?

Thanks, I did. Fixed.

mk  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 21, 2017

I'll be forgotten, and I don't much care how long it takes.

I recently read the Meditations, and about 50% of it is Aurelius reminding himself that he will be forgotten, and that postmortem remembrance is a pretty stupid thing to waste the present on.

History is change and change is almost always cataclysmic for someone.

He pretty much says that too.

kleinbl00  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·

No one ever called Marcus Aurelius dumb.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Impromtu Meetup

Two awesome, hairy guys!

That's a rare sticker, my friend.

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It's my emergency hubski sticker. I keep it in the wallet at all times for occasions such as this...

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Welcome LTL!

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: If Liberals Voted

Yes. And yet, most of the legislation that gets passed between elections doesn't pertain to the hot button issues that divide the electorate. We don't need leaders and champions. We need people that will govern well.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I blame the media.

mk  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: If Liberals Voted

They share a good deal of blame on this one.

mk  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: If Liberals Voted

Uneducated citizens might not have the opportunity to understand how important voting is, but for those that have education, the blame is theirs. Many millennials qualify.

We've suffer from the expectation that a candidate must inspire, or be idealogically fit.

The more a populous sincerely engages government, the more the government will reflect their needs and disposition.

Putting a requisite upon engagement itself is self-defeating. Your apathy is the ally of those opposed to your worldview.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It seems like modern American politics have a theme of "Put you're foot down, don't compromise, and if you don't get your way, don't play ball." Look at the rhetoric. Look at the lack of bipartisanship in congress. Liberals seem to have much more of a diverse world view than conservatives, so liberals seem to have much more complain about their candidates, so it's no surprise many of them often don't vote. They don't like the candidates offered to them so they're not gonna play ball and vote.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I blame the media.

mk  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Swept Magazine reviews my record

I still listen to your album. It's about time you start getting the press it deserves.

cW  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you, my friend! It means the most that you enjoy it. Getting press feels pretty great in its own right, but still leaves some doubt as to whether anyone is really being persuaded to listen. There's no way to guarantee such a thing though, I think. We're all so overstimulated these days. It's like we need a day in solitary confinement for every day of media absorption. To that end, I'll be in my sensory deprivation tank, if anyone needs me.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
mk  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Let's play Diplomacy pt. the third: let's play diplomacy again

You know I'm in.

We had Burke's video game for the Mac in a house with seven roommates. "You've made a connection!" was a way we made fun of each other's insights.

mk  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My Life Among the Pidgeons

Ok I am being unfair. Much of it stems from your cops pulling us Michiganders over for sport.

I have been to Columbus, and it's a nice mid-sized city. Any equivalency to the Old World is going too far, but I could make due in Columbus. I have no doubt that Ohio beer is delicious. However, it is odd that little of it makes it's way north.

You all do have a electorate that's even more frustrating than ours.

b_b  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

You must have had beer from Great Lakes brewery. Probably figured it was from Traverse and not Cleveland.

Does he really though? To what extent has he turned the mirror on Instagram users, and to what extent has he found a way to game a common affection for short bad poetry?

Here is a minor rant: IMHO the act of "doing X to show us how we relate to Y" is stale artistic strategy, and often a lazy excuse.

It is difficult to to be sincere and to have conviction. It is a obstacle that we see anonymity as a risk. It is an obstacle that the speed of distribution and consumption contaminates the process. It's an obstacle that we have push notifications.

Instagram cannot glorify poetry that isn't pop poetry.

EDIT: I just navigated away to my inbox where I saw an invitation from LinkedIn to congratulate a casual acquaintance on a work anniversary.

This is my beef with poetry:

If you enjoy it without any education, you will be pilloried by someone with too much education. If you like something because it's accessible, that means you're a peon with no appreciation for the obscure. If you enjoy something on the face of it, you are clearly a shallow creature with no depth.

A Pushcart Prize-winning high school English teacher with an Instagram account? The man is living a parody.

rrrrr  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

None of those things are problems with poetry. They're problems with assholes who like to talk about poetry or play games with poetry. The trick is to ignore the assholes and enjoy poetry.

_refugee_  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I will say I find the current atmosphere of modern poetry to be entirely too "serious", without humor, certainly incapable of looking at itself with any humor or without a certain smug pretension. Half of the rockstars I see coming up in the modern poetry community are writers I could never be or write like because I don't have the requisite experience with oppression or want to constantly write about it.

There are fun poets and fun poems out there, and even fun lit mags that have a better attitude. But they're one offs, hard to find, and as a whole the community doesn't foster these groups or people with such attitudes at all - there isn't going to be a renaissance where everyone stops looking down their noses anytime in the foreseeable future in the poetry community, (I guess the American poetry community is the one I'm mostly referring to and have experience with) and it's a pity. Poetry's very busy isolating itself.

humanodon  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, I agree that the American poetry community in general is overly earnest and self-inflated. I think I've shared this before, but in Jennifer L. Knox' A Gringo Like Me we see one of those hard to find examples that you're talking about. Maybe it's just me, but poetry in the popular consciousness (in English at least) is supposed to be something transcendent, transformational. It's supposed to be achievable by an elevated class of humanity and enjoyed by similarly elevated people, which is fucking dumb. Anyway . . .

ArtemusBlank  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

As someone that has competed in poetry slams before, I can agree with this. I do a lot of humor and satire pieces but they just don't resonate with an audience at times because the poetry slam audience is a lot of times looking for that piece about race, despairing emotion or some other social issue. It is the same thing over and over again with some different words I feel. It's frustrating to compete at times because I kinda know what the audience is looking for but it's not exactly me. There are times when I hit well with an audience but It's become less and less often these days. I could conform to what the audience wants as I'm a minority myself but I really don't want to go down that road because it wouldn't fully be me. There are times when I look at the poetry slam community and I just walk away to other poetry scenes that don't focus on slam at all because I feel like I fit in better at places where no one really cares about slam.

rd95  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Do that. Write for a new audience, yourself.

_refugee_  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Art often is about/driven by self-expression and I agree that this should be among a young (or even old) artist's driving forces to create. However, it's foolish to think that art and self-expression can exist in a vacuum without an audience and that be totally fulfilling. If you only share your self-expression with yourself, it can feel kind of masturbatory.

It's not satisfying to create art that just collects dust afterwards. Maybe Dada would put on a ballet show for an audience of no one but we should acknowledge that art, from writing to dance including everything in between, almost universally relies upon an audience as much as a creator. What can you really effectively express if you only express it to yourself? Art is a conversation and writing is and wants to be part of that conversation.

I see a lot of the time that "you should write just for you!" and yes you should do that but that aphorism also puts this idea into heads that "you shouldn't want or need an audience to feel good about what you create," which I think falls a little far from the truth. I write great poems that I love but once I write them, I also want to share them with people. And it's natural and understandable to have that desire and feel irritated when the literary structure/canon/environment in which you write is never going to embrace you -- I still write, sure, and I find people to share things with -- it shouldn't ever stop someone from creating -- but tell you what it sure can do is knock the wind out of your sails a little.

rd95  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree. Mostly. I think in the case of ArtemusBlank though, who has complained quite a few times about the slam scene this past year, that maybe he oughta try something new for a bit. Maybe rediscover why he fell in love with poetry in the first place. Sometimes you just gotta let go of the world and be you, if even for only a little bit.

am_Unition  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Jives well with the notion of "weaponized prestige" I've been railing against in my own personal life.

Communities of repute foster stagnation all too often, unless they have some specific characteristics instilled into their cultures. Still sniffing out those characteristics, but most are intuitive; healthy skepticism of authority, utilitarian, inclusive, etc.

You're not wrong? But if you ask someone who knows anything about poetry, you run the risk.

My entire interaction with academia and poetry was 100% about how everything I liked was doggerel and everything I didn't was genius. There are few things that make me want to put my fist through faces than hearing about goddamn red wheelbarrows.

thenewgreen  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's a good poem though... (ducks head).

That's fine. You can say that and no one will criticize you. However:

When the cholera comes -- as it will past a doubt --

Keep out of the wet and don't go on the shout,

For the sickness gets in as the liquor dies out,

An' it crumples the young British soldier.

Crum-, crum-, crumples the soldier . . .

I have had three "experts" tell me that the above is doggerel.

We can agree to disagree. But absolutely no one is going to lambast you for assuming the majority position that Williams is a goddamn genius.

thenewgreen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've a always liked Ogden Nash poems:

There is something about a martini

Ere the dining and dancing begin

And to tell you the truth

It's not the vermouth

I think that perhaps it's the gin

I used to recite that, when I was a bartender, to my customers that ordered a martini. Tips increase when you you recite poetry. Pretty sure poetry snobs would turn their nose up at that one.

That's... a limerick. Limericks are held in such low regard that they'll teach you how to make them in 3rd grade but by fifth, when they ask for "poetry" they'll accept a fucking haiku (without paying any attention to the meter or kireji) but they'll refuse to accept a limerick.

When I had to hand in poetry I'd do sonnets. Teachers were so impressed that I could handle ABBA ABBA CDE CDE that you could write straight fucking nonsense and they'd take it.

Of course they'd take straight fucking nonsense as free verse too

But not limericks

thenewgreen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Limericks are wonderful. Because they're so easy and ubiquitous, a good limerick is actually high art.

I agree.

But neither of us teach English.

WanderingEng  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's true of most things, isn't it? I think we've talked about that with respect to hifi. I read this piece and thought he was just saying "stop liking things I don't like!"

Didn't The Cure do this with Friday I'm In Love? I feel like I heard that once.

My broader point is you can buy a stereo without running afoul of the audiophiles. You pretty much have to seek them in their lair if you want to find out about low oxygen cable. On the other hand, if you say something positive about Kipling in a room full of English majors, you will be informed of what a cultureless rube you are as a matter of conversation. Expertise in poetry is performed by slagging on the opinions of novices.

The audiophiles? They'll help you pick out a stereo at your chosen price point. Sure, if you ask about speakers that look like Daleks they'll pontificate until you walk away but the pontification is optional, rather than the fundamental demonstration of expertise.

rrrrr  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Try telling a room full of audiophiles that you dig Bose headphones. The reaction won't be far off what Kipling gets you. In both fields the self-appointed connoisseurs and defenders of high taste will do everything they can to shore up an identity they spent years building. Imagine if all those years of careful study and/or all that money spent didn't make you any better than you were before you started, or any better than this rube who's so infuriatingly confident! Imagine if it didn't gain you anything! Imagine if you'd done it all just for love! The horror! So... gotta fight for that hard-won identity.

1) Having been in rooms full of audiophiles, I never speak, let alone tell them anything. Do not look the gorilla in the eye.

2) I am constitutionally incapable of digging Bose headphones. Although, yeah, you're right, QC-2s were pretty cool.

steve  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is my beef with poetry:

In my limited experience, you could substitute the word art for poetry and you next paragraph would still work.

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Gingrich: Time to rethink special counsel Mueller

So it seems that Newt is working in concert with others, trying to normalize the move. If the GOP lets this slide, that's rock bottom.

b_b  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sadly, this pit is bottomless. I shall not repeat the litany of past events that were the bottom of the pit, but Joe the Plummer was one of them. How quaint.

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: D.C. and Maryland to sue President Trump, alleging breach of constitutional oath

It's because I originally submitted with a different URL, came across a better article, and edited it. Editing doesn't catch dupes. I guess that could be added.

am_Unition  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

You've completely ruined my Monday. I think I could've had at least two or three more circledots, which would've kept my boss off my back until tomorrow afternoon.

Maybe you should, I dunno, look at the global page. That's what I do.