We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
kleinbl00's comments
kleinbl00  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Did China Hack The CIA In Massive Intelligence Breach From 2010 To 2012?

To be honest, I presumed as much, and performed accordingly. I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it.

kleinbl00  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 24th Fortnightly Quotality

Two from John Kenneth Galbraith's The Great Crash 1929:

"There were still better ways of making money. In principle, New York banks could borrow money from the Federal Reserve bank for 5 per cent and re-lend it in the call market for 12. In practice they did. This was, possibly, the most profitable arbitrage operation of all time."

and

Margins - the cash which the speculator must supply in addition to the securities to protect the loan and which he must augment if the value of the collateral securities should fall and so lower the protection they provide - are effortlessly calculated and watched. The interest rate moves quickly and easily to keep the supply of funds adjusted to the demand. Wall Street, however, has never been able to express its pride in these arrangements. They are admirable and even wonderful only in relation to the purpose they servie. The purpose is to accommodate the speculator and facilitate speculation. But the purposes cannot be admitted. If Wall Street confessed this purpose, many thousands of moral men and women would have no choice but to condemn it for nurturing an evil thing and call for reform. Margin trading must be defended not on the grounds that it efficiently and ingeniously assists the speculator, but that it encourages the extra trading which changes a thin and anemic market into a thick and healthy one. At best this is a dull by-product and a dubious one. Wall Street, in these matters, is like a lovely and accomplished woman who must wear black cotton stockings, heavy woolen underwear, and parade her knowledge as a cook because, unhappily, her supreme accomplishment is as a harlot.

How you likin' Quiet American? It's on my list.

kleinbl00  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Imzy closes shop. Another one bites the dust.

Dan and Jessica are super-nice people and it sucks to see things not work out.

someguyfromcanada  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Yep. I never got into Imzy so am not sad to hear that is not an option anymore, but was sad to hear that they and weffey could not make a go of it.

edit: lol The cat jumped on my keyboard as I pressed enter and somehow this comment was posted 10 times.

someguyfromcanada  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
someguyfromcanada  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
someguyfromcanada  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
someguyfromcanada  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
someguyfromcanada  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
someguyfromcanada  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
someguyfromcanada  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
someguyfromcanada  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
someguyfromcanada  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
kleinbl00  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Real Reasons for Marvel Comics’ Woes

I know a guy who used to make $800/page drawing for Marvel.

He left for Hollywood in time to storyboard Alien Vs. predator.

I know the guy who did the character design for the X-men movies.

he has an MFA in sculpture and when we've talked about comics, he's said "I mean, I could draw that but it's so much easier to just farm it out to Korea."

cgod  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

My wife is friends with a founder of Dark Horse Comics.

He's now been a producer in the Hollywood super hero complex for for something like a decade. I don't think he has had anything to do with comics for a long time.

kleinbl00  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: China's Downgrade Could Lead to a Mountain of Debt

The downgrade will particularly hurt airlines and shipping companies, said Corrine Png, chief executive officer of Crucial Perspective in Singapore.

kleinbl00  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Book Club: Watchmen Discussion Part 1 [final discussion March 1st]

bump

kleinbl00  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Real Reasons for Marvel Comics’ Woes

It's as if Ragnar Benson was responsible for keeping the Smurfs alive.

You build whatever the neighborhood wants and focus on a high-margin, low-investment product that you can sell through experience. There's a hobby store nearby. Hobby Lobby took over the space next door in 2007. They're still going strong because they sell the shit Hobby Lobby doesn't have... and they also do R/C tournaments, parties, and they can fix your quadcopter. i've got four comics shops within easy driving distance... but I've got six tabletop gaming outfits. When I left in 2007 that number was two.

If you make it a place people want to hang out and spend money, they will hang out and spend money. If you can make what you sell cost enough to cover the rent, you're good to go. We've got GameStops all over the place, same as anywhere else... but these guys have gone from one location to nine in the past eight years 'cuz you can hang out and have fun.

Speaking as someone who talked to six different presses about doing my graphic novel, roughly 90% of all the small-press stuff is self-financed.

It used to sort of work out - you spend $30k getting a book illustrated and putting out 5,000 copies. 2500 of them get bought at $10. You get 80% of that. Turns out you're only about $12k in the hole on your book and if that means you get a movie option out of it, you made a hell of a brilliant investment. Lookin' at you, 30 days of night. Wanted had sold less than 10,000 copies at the time Timur Bekmambetov optioned it.

That was the universe that existed before Disney made eight fucking summer blockbusters to justify the Avengers.

bfv  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Folks like the Pinis, Dave Sim, Drew Hayes and Jeff Smith used to make a living.

kleinbl00  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I know a guy who used to make $800/page drawing for Marvel.

He left for Hollywood in time to storyboard Alien Vs. predator.

I know the guy who did the character design for the X-men movies.

cgod  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

My wife is friends with a founder of Dark Horse Comics.

kleinbl00  ·  11 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Real Reasons for Marvel Comics’ Woes

Let's be honest: if even who-the-fuck-is-that back-barrel forgotten whoosits like Namor the Submariner are slated for $250m summer blockbusters that cost you $12 to watch, it takes a true corner-case dead-end out-market dweeb to pay $5 a month for 22 pages of fucking X-men for the nth time. They're fuckin' thankful for the 50,000 sales they get a month because those are the fuckin' dregs, man. This is why they lose their shit over things like "black human torch."

Marvel's problem is that Disney has no reason to give the first fuck about 200,000 active comic buyers other than they kind-of sort-of sustain intellectual property that chugs merrily along printing money. All of Marvel Comics probably costs Disney less than it costs them to print the weekly itineraries for Aulani and they see no reason to build up IP through risk since they're probably the most risk-averse company in entertainment. Those numbers aren't just small, they're ridiculous: Any given month, 50,000 X-men comics sold. Turner Diaries? half a million copies. Anarchist Cookbook? Two million copies. Marvel is effectively an underground press pretending it's still the '50s.

Maybe there's hope, though.

bfv  ·  11 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Marvel is effectively an underground press pretending it's still the '50s.

... without the advantages of being an underground press, since they're constrained by being custodians of IP for use in movies.

kleinbl00  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·

It's as if Ragnar Benson was responsible for keeping the Smurfs alive.

rd95  ·  11 hours ago  ·  link  ·

One of the comic shops here tried for a while to carry locally created and published stuff. They gave up relatively quickly because the people who tried to make and print stuff tried with the best of intentions, but it just wasn't working. Which is a shame, cause some of that "underground" stuff was kind of cool.

kleinbl00  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I know a guy who used to make $800/page drawing for Marvel.

He left for Hollywood in time to storyboard Alien Vs. predator.

I know the guy who did the character design for the X-men movies.

cgod  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

My wife is friends with a founder of Dark Horse Comics.

rd95  ·  11 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I remember reading somewhere, I don't remember (maybe you?), that during the height of the speculation market the numbers could be considered inflated because a lot of people would buy multiple copies of the same issue, one to read, the other to hold onto in hopes of value jumping. I don't remember Warner Brothers buying DC. I do remember Disney buying Marvel and thinking either A) the comics would improve because Disney would have the capital to pump into Marvel and prop them up or B) the comics would drop in quality because Disney would be more focused on the non-comics market. I'm sad to see it was B, though it's been kind of fun to see all of the Marvel merchandise that's out there now.

Speaking of sales and the death of news stand sales. On my drive home from work today, I was daydreaming about opening up a corner store and thinking that I didn't want to sell Liquor because I didn't want to hassle with the license, the liabilities, etc. So I thought about what I'd carry instead and I figured I'd get two magazine racks. One with the magazines you usually see in the corner store, the other one full of nothing but comics. Then I thought about what I'd put in them and I figured only family friendly and teen titles, because I don't think that parents understand that there are adult comics out there now and parents willing to buy their kids at a corner store definitely wouldn't be as savy as parents who would go to an actual comic shop. Then I thought about all of the family friendly titles I know, made a hell of a list, and deliberately kept Marvel and DC off of them. It was a fun way to kill an afternoon commute.

kleinbl00  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-fi club no. 33: Blade Runner

My wife watched the "director's cut" (circa '91) without me and expressed confusion. I explained to her that sci fi nerds bag on the theatrical cut and its substandard narration, but then, they've all seen the substandard narration. Then I put in my VHS tape of the international theatrical cut.

"Oh."

"Ohh!"

"Oh?"

"Oh...."

Die-hard fans of Blade Runner have a hard time admitting that it's a flawed work, but the execution of the script is lacking in many ways (and the script is lacking in more). Blade Runner is, more than anything, a miraculous convergence of pressure and time rendered as cinema, a visual aesthetic and a lyrical narrative that form something far greater than its parts. But if you sit and watch it objectively without hitting yourself over the head with it again and again and again, the flaws take on prominence.

rd95  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I think the first time I watched Blade Runner was when I was in my early 20s because a bud of mine wanted to start a game of Shadowrun and invited me to play. He told me to check out the movie because it would give me a good visual idea of what the Shadowrun world was kind of like. I got the Director's Cut cause everyone told me the Director's Cut was better, remembered that the scenes jumped around a lot, and the ending felt kind of strange because the victory over the final android didn't really seem like a victory (if I remember right, the guy was gonna die anyway). We never got to play Shadowrun.

The other two times I saw it, were both around the time I got the Blu-Ray. I saw it, and was surprised that the scene jumping was even more abrupt than I remember, but decided to watch it again a few weeks later and the scene jumping was less shocking because I kind of expected it at that point. When I talk about movies and TV a lot (and chances are if you look back at my mentioning of Star Wars TFA, Princess Monoke, Samurai Jack, Fistful of Dollars, etc.) you'll see that I bring up pacing a lot. I don't know why, but for me, that's one of the things I care most about when I watch stuff.

Anyhow. Blade Runner sure is pretty. They did a hell of a job on it. I think though, I like Alien much better, if only because it seems less flawed and just as pretty. That said, I only like Alien. I really don't like any of the sequels because they just don't seem to be as good.

Edit: Lord, Mercy. I just re-read that and I sound like a five year old. Working a full day after only sleeping for a couple of hours and then trying to type out complete thoughts just don't work. I feel the need to apologize.

kleinbl00  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

I guess I'm never learning how to cook.

Then you'll never learn how to say hello to your family!

blackbootz  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·

The bodega is truly a double edged sword. I sincerely want to know how to cook, but I don't yet have the intrinsic excitement and motivation for cooking. Which is how I normally spend my free time: on things I'm itching to do.

Someone recently put it to me in a new light--and it's kind of embarrassing how simple it is--but he said, "What's your favorite thing to eat? Cook that."

And I was like. Oh. That makes sense. Cooking isn't just for making fuel in between activities. I consider this realization very promising.

You have nothing to lose by investigating.

WanderingEng  ·  11 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you, I like that suggestion a lot.

If you want to understand it, you need the theatrical cut.

If you want to appreciate it for everything Ridley Scott wanted it to be, you need to watch the Final Cut.

I have seen five different cuts of Blade Runner (US theatrical, Canadian theatrical, "Director's cut", Dallas workprint, Final Cut) so you don't have to.

rd95  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I have the 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray, which I think has the "Ultimate, Final, We're For Reelz Here Super Final Cut" and the "Theatrical Edition."

I've never actually seen the Theatrical Cut, have seen Blade Runner three times now, and still feel a bit lost at the end. Maybe I oughta watch the Theatrical Cut.

kleinbl00  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·