kleinbl00's comments
kleinbl00  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump cancels Kim summit amid North Korea 'hostility'

I will so put one of those on my toolbox.

kleinbl00  ·  4 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump cancels Kim summit amid North Korea 'hostility'

$85 is hella more than I'm willing to spend on an ironic joke.

steve  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·

price is back down... and I'm getting closer...

(I'm not really buying nine of them... it registered a few of my previous clicks)

am_Unition  ·  40 minutes ago  ·  link  ·

Don’t buy the ornament! See ThurberMingus’s comment!

...Unless you know of nine Christmas trees that need the ornament, of course

kleinbl00  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·

I will so put one of those on my toolbox.

kleinbl00  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump cancels Kim summit amid North Korea 'hostility'

god speed you black emperor

steve  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·

The promotional price is over... we’re back to $85 and I can’t put it in the cart.

Drat.

kleinbl00  ·  4 hours ago  ·  link  ·

$85 is hella more than I'm willing to spend on an ironic joke.

steve  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·

price is back down... and I'm getting closer...

am_Unition  ·  40 minutes ago  ·  link  ·

Don’t buy the ornament! See ThurberMingus’s comment!

...Unless you know of nine Christmas trees that need the ornament, of course

kleinbl00  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·

I will so put one of those on my toolbox.

kleinbl00  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump cancels Kim summit amid North Korea 'hostility'

Dude I made it all the way through to confirming my purchase and it errored out. I may try before bed or maybe early tomorrow but that whole "call us because our website is borked" doesn't inspire confidence.

steve  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I’m trying to order a few. If I get multiples, one is yours.

kleinbl00  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·

god speed you black emperor

steve  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Drat.

kleinbl00  ·  4 hours ago  ·  link  ·

$85 is hella more than I'm willing to spend on an ironic joke.

steve  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·

price is back down... and I'm getting closer...

am_Unition  ·  40 minutes ago  ·  link  ·

Don’t buy the ornament! See ThurberMingus’s comment!

...Unless you know of nine Christmas trees that need the ornament, of course

kleinbl00  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·

I will so put one of those on my toolbox.

kleinbl00  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump cancels Kim summit amid North Korea 'hostility'

RIGHT?

steve  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·

If Summit Does Not Occur You can Request a Refund

Most Customers Have Said They Want This Heirloom of

Political History Regardless of Outcome.

DAMN SKIPPY I WANT THIS HEIRLOOM OF POSTURING AND POMPOSITY

kleinbl00  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·

steve  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I’m trying to order a few. If I get multiples, one is yours.

kleinbl00  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·

god speed you black emperor

steve  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Drat.

kleinbl00  ·  4 hours ago  ·  link  ·

$85 is hella more than I'm willing to spend on an ironic joke.

steve  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·

price is back down... and I'm getting closer...

am_Unition  ·  40 minutes ago  ·  link  ·

Don’t buy the ornament! See ThurberMingus’s comment!

...Unless you know of nine Christmas trees that need the ornament, of course

kleinbl00  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·

I will so put one of those on my toolbox.

kleinbl00  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 'Unplug your Alexa devices right now. You're being hacked.'
kleinbl00  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Myth of the Temporarily Embarrassed Millionaire

TL;DR:

How did he do it? Piston conjectures.

___________________________________________

The "myth of the 'temporarily embarrassed millionaire'" is not "a class-blind public". When Steinbeck said

"Except for the field organizers of strikes, who were pretty tough monkeys and devoted, most of the so-called Communists I met were middle-class, middle-aged people playing a game of dreams. I remember a woman in easy circumstances saying to another even more affluent: 'After the revolution even we will have more, won't we, dear?' Then there was another lover of proletarians who used to raise hell with Sunday picknickers on her property.

"I guess the trouble was that we didn't have any self-admitted proletarians. Everyone was a temporarily embarrassed capitalist. Maybe the Communists so closely questioned by the investigation committees were a danger to America, but the ones I knew—at least they claimed to be Communists—couldn't have disrupted a Sunday-school picnic. Besides they were too busy fighting among themselves."

He was pointing out that nobody in America sees themselves as poor. My understanding is that this is common in former English colonies: while England is class-conscious, English colonies were established as places where scrappy young adventurers could rise above class to get them to come toil under horrific conditions. "Land of opportunity" means, effectively, you can rise above your station which sets the country up in an aspirational frame of mind.

Not that the British are immune.

What Piketty and Nancy Isenberg and many other academics have pointed out is that the American poor doesn't fully recognize themselves as poor so long as there's someone worse off than them. The Democratic project of the 20th century - equality and social projects - drove many poor whites to the Republicans because while white folk might have been a little better off, colored folk were a lot better off which ended up as a net loss of socioeconomic status.

They didn't disable the e-brake. They disabled Volvo's emergency collision avoidance system. No doubt because they didn't want to let it sit there autonomously on their system, throwing up spurious life-saving measures and stuff.

As a result they have quality data indicating an inability to reliably classify pedestrians on the roadway.

Also a dead bicyclist.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

Last time we met down in LA, demure pulled a shiv and said "don't make me cut a bitch!"

He still owes me for eight hits of molly.

_refugee_  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·

i'm believing in this timeline

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

"In a week, who's going to care?" got me through. Although "week" scales; substitute for "month" or "year". Some of high school required "ten years" and even that wasn't enough. However, when you can't dilute a problem through time you know you've discovered an actual issue. "In four years who's going to care" got me through the worst shit in high school because my problems were largely situational.

"That which does not kill you makes you stronger" but it can also make you a mean sonofabitch. When my mom divorced my dad he stopped drinking and started exercising because the settlement gave her (and her new husband) half of his estate "and he'd be goddamned if he'd let that bitch outlive him."

The suicides of my generation all involved tall balconies. I suspect they've locked all those off from you whelps as a consequence. My apologies.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

It's not like you'd date him anyway

kleinbl00  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

Shit I can't badge things twice

╔═══╗─────────────╔╗───╔╗───╔╗

║╔═╗║────────────╔╝╚╗──║║──╔╝╚╗

║║─╚╬══╦═╗╔══╦═╦═╩╗╔╬╗╔╣║╔═╩╗╔╬╦══╦═╗╔══╗

║║─╔╣╔╗║╔╗╣╔╗║╔╣╔╗║║║║║║║║╔╗║║╠╣╔╗║╔╗╣══╣

║╚═╝║╚╝║║║║╚╝║║║╔╗║╚╣╚╝║╚╣╔╗║╚╣║╚╝║║║╠══║

╚═══╩══╩╝╚╩═╗╠╝╚╝╚╩═╩══╩═╩╝╚╩═╩╩══╩╝╚╩══╝

──────────╔═╝║

──────────╚══╝

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Gotcha, bud

Do you mean "I am busy with tasks" or do you mean "I'm going to sneak a major life event in here like it ain't no thing?" 'cuz I got badges to burn, mutherfucker. Try me.

flac  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

BOTH MUTHERFUCKER

Shit I can't badge things twice

╔═══╗─────────────╔╗───╔╗───╔╗

║╔═╗║────────────╔╝╚╗──║║──╔╝╚╗

║║─╚╬══╦═╗╔══╦═╦═╩╗╔╬╗╔╣║╔═╩╗╔╬╦══╦═╗╔══╗

║║─╔╣╔╗║╔╗╣╔╗║╔╣╔╗║║║║║║║║╔╗║║╠╣╔╗║╔╗╣══╣

║╚═╝║╚╝║║║║╚╝║║║╔╗║╚╣╚╝║╚╣╔╗║╚╣║╚╝║║║╠══║

╚═══╩══╩╝╚╩═╗╠╝╚╝╚╩═╩══╩═╩╝╚╩═╩╩══╩╝╚╩══╝

──────────╔═╝║

──────────╚══╝

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Gotcha, bud

thenewgreen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Someone with copious amounts of badges throw one on there for me too. I'm fresh out.

Congrats, flac! At some point, you need to share the details :) ... in song.

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

gotchu

thenewgreen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you, ref!

kleinbl00  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Wired | Sam Harris and the Myth of Perfectly Rational Thought

Thought Daddy checking in.

It's a pernicious cycle - you're curious about the world, so you think about it and research. Then you form opinions. Then you have a conversation about something and you espouse that opinion. Because you've thought about it and they haven't, you become "someone to ask questions of." Do it enough and eventually people come to you with questions you haven't thought about. Then, to please your friends, you do your research on the spot and attempt to provide reasoned guidance. Before you know it, you've become an authority.

It's reassuring to think "that's okay, they'll only stick to their areas of expertise" and true to form, I go out of my way to say when I don't know something. But I also know that espousing ignorance about something solidifies my authority when I profess knowledge. When I take pains to lay out my bias, I convince myself that I'm giving a qualified opinion. But I know on some level that laying out some biases gives my audience permission (encouragement) to disregard any biases I may not be aware of.

I don't do this shit for money. I'm not qualified to take it. The Internet has been encouraging me to write my memoirs for fifteen fuckin' years now but sweet holy jesus nobody wants to read that shit and I sure don't want to write it. But the fact that I don't consider my own experiences worthy of praise doesn't stop people from asking me for life advice about all sorts of shit they should be asking a psychologist or counselor.

And I try.

(didja notice how the last paragraph is a painful exemplar of the paragraph before?)

If I believed my own press more, or if I was interested in a public-facing career, or if I hadn't decided 15 years ago that "blogger" sounded too much like "leper" for me to have much interest I would have been one of those wannabe Jordan Petersons or Sam Harrises. I mean, I can see there from here. Learning is like slapping your hand on a Van de Graff generator. Talking publicly is like jumping in a giant box of packing peanuts. They stick to you. If you like it, you become a thought daddy. If you don't, you become a cranky-ass curmudgeon on some internet backwater.