We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
keifermiller's comments
keifermiller  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Thermomix in the states?

Hmmm.

I spent some time clicking around on their website.

I like the concept of it. It seems like it could replace:

- my stand mixer

- my food processor

- my blender

- my crockpot

and

- the grain mill I want to buy

- the rice cooker I want to buy

- the steamer I don't want to buy

If I were buying all of the above new, it probably wouldn't be that hard to justify springing for one.

AND YET

My initial impression for the product and marketing is pinging my consumerism meter. I had to puzzle out how it actually works, because they didn't seem too interested in showing me in their videos. It also looks like it'd be a pain to clean. Then again, so is my food processor.

Now I want to see AvE take one apart.

Gem  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·

God, yes, the marketing is horrific. For a long time, the only way to buy one was to join the cult, invite them into your home, let them do a demonstration in your kitchen and then remain in contact with them forever. Thankfully, you can now get them online or, like I did, second hand, and avoid cultists completely.

(In their defence, the cult would have been great in pre-internet days. They aren't kidding when they say it's a completely different way of cooking, and if you were left alone to learn, it probably wouldn't happen. These days though, I just hop online for info.)

If you already have a fair few appliances and you're not strapped for space, I'd give it a miss for now. It really can't do anything your other appliances can't. We finally broke and bought ours because our stove has one working hotplate, our food processor is "meh" and my beautiful, beautiful mixer finally died. At a grand off (in Oz, they're $2100 new), it was a reasonable purchase and has let me clear the food processor, bread maker and a few other things out of the cupboards to make more room. And, as I said above, it does act as a second pair of hands in the kitchen, which means I can be sauteeing dinner while reading "Spot Goes to the Farm" and neither activity will suffer. Milling spices and grains without digging out my ancient, rusty mill is nice as well.

Cleaning is actually pretty easy. Not as easy as a mixing bowl, but much better than a food processor.

(Also, watch that video from Jonny5. They are amazing.)

johnnyFive  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·

My favorite ever cooking channel did a video on it.

keifermiller  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How fear of falling explains love of Trump

Valuing hard work means having the rigid self-discipline to do a menial job you hate for 40 years, and reining yourself in so you don’t “have an attitude” (i.e., so that you can submit to authority). Hard work for elites is associated with self-actualization; “disruption” means founding a successful start-up. Disruption, in working class jobs, just gets you fired.

This is cultural, not a mechanical product of at will work.

We're a union shop with a labor shortage. Getting fired is at the bottom of our list of concerns. And yet, the number of people who don't report injuries, or who choose to work in unsafe conditions is mind boggling.

You can straight up go into an area, tell someone that $BLANK is an OSHA violation and that management can't do shit if they stop production to fix it, and what do you get?

A blank look and then they keep on keeping on.

keifermiller  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 19, 2017

I'm not really far enough in yet to feel comfortable talking about the contents. Some of it is forward thinking, other bits have seemed naive and cold. We'll see how he progresses both strands.

The form of those contents are pretty accessible though. He spends a few paragraphs writing in plain language to establish a notion and then moves on to what that development enables him to talk about.

It is a conversational work. I wasn't expecting that.

keifermiller  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 19, 2017

I'd like to say that I took the initiative and picked him out, but...

The reason I'm reading him is:

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

What do you think of the book so far? I was amazed at how easy of a read it was for me way back when.

keifermiller  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It is a conversational work. I wasn't expecting that.

keifermiller  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
keifermiller  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I have a friend that just joined Hubski. What should they know?

I'd say just jump right in. The quickest way to get people to care about what you're doing is to start talking about it.

Gem  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I think you're right. Thanks for the encouragement!

keifermiller  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 19, 2017

Books

I made it a fifth of the way through Critique of Pure Reason before I put it down, and returned it to the library. Maybe someday. His conception of time and space were interesting, but I just didn't care.

I'm a tenth of the way through Wealth of Nations. It reads quickly, which is a nice surprise.

No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable. It is but equity, besides, that they who feed, clothe, and lodge the whole body of the people, should have such a share of the produce of their own labour as to be themselves tolerably well fed, clothed, and lodged.

Still planning on given Hegel a shot. Will that plan also go down in flames? Seems likely.

I also have a copy of Darkwater coming in the mail, and the Library has a complete copy of Seneca's Letters on order.

I wish I read quicker. I feel like I'm pretty slow at it.

Politics

Got a city commission primary coming up Aug 1st. Watching the candidates forum in chunks. There is 8 of 'em, and we got through the first question with no-one running over time. They respected the bell and stopped talking when their minute was up. Fucking amazing.

There is also a union contract proposal meeting at fucking 8am the following Saturday. Why 8am? Why? Whyyyyyy? Shit's about an hour a way from here as it is.

I'm following the developments within the Democratic Socialists of America interestedly. The closest branch is, you guessed it, about an hour away.

Internet

Our new ISP provider still sucks.

cgod  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good for you, reading Adam Smith. He isn't the guy most people believe he was.

keifermiller  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd like to say that I took the initiative and picked him out, but...

The reason I'm reading him is:

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

keifermiller  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It is a conversational work. I wasn't expecting that.

keifermiller  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
blackbootz  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

How do you mean?

keifermiller  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

You're not alone

tags are more like twitter hashtags than subreddits

They can be straight up categorical : #uspolitics

They can follow a specific thread of events : #whiterabbit

They can be shitposty: #weregretnothing

They can be subredditesque: #askhubski

There's no wrong way to tag.

keifermiller  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Solve this, solve 1 degree of global warming increase

Cold, uncomfortable air is blowing in.

Funky air. Stuffy. Weird.

Not weird in the good way, like the Honk For Hemp guy downtown. That guy's an institution. We're talking Weird like that Jesus painting that's been at the Goodwill for the last three years.

Off in a way you can't quite place, ya know? Did the artist mean for this to make me uncomfortable? Was it a mistake? Did they see it? Is it just me? It can't be just me, no one else is buying it either.

Is that jaundice? Or is the lighting in here that bad? It's gotta be the lighting.

Whatever happened to getting a popsicle out of the freezer, putting on shorts and a t-shirt, and hanging down in the basement to watch TV where it's naturally 5-10 degrees colder than it is upstairs.

Most of the units at our apartment complex (which actually does have quite nice airflow) never even opened their windows this spring. I started to hear a/c units rattling away by the time the temps were hitting the upper 60s.

People man.

keifermiller  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Sorry

My mind latched onto Reddit -> Twenty Year Olds -> Activists -> MLM

and then filled in MLM to mean Marxism-Leninism-Maoism, which has a decently sized base of twenty-year-olds on r/socialism.

In retrospect, it wasn't really the obvious choice for me to assume as for what MLM meant.

... I need to remember not to comment on stuff before I have coffee.

Gem  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I actually love that that's where your mind went. It shows your world is not yet as corrupted as mine.

MLM folk

Not a fan of r/socialism, I take it.

Gem  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

... I think this is a joke I'm not getting....

keifermiller  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sorry

My mind latched onto Reddit -> Twenty Year Olds -> Activists -> MLM

... I need to remember not to comment on stuff before I have coffee.

Gem  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

keifermiller  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Health Care Overhaul Collapses as Two Republican Senators Defect

Moran grew up out where my grandparents lived. He's maintained his ties out there. It's not super hard to see why he's against this if you've spent much time there: a part of their experience is one of going to the rural hospital only to find out that there are no doctors in the building because the money isn't there.

Packed town hall in Palco, Kan., urges Moran to stand firm against GOP health bill

“I’m elected as a Republican but I’m a member of a minority. And that minority is Kansas. That minority is rural,” said Moran, who grew up in the nearby town of Plainville and won 87 percent of the vote in Rooks County in November’s election.

“I understand the value of a hospital in your community, a physician in your town, a pharmacy on main street,” Moran said.

...pared with, a bit later in the article...

Jeff Zamrzla, a 59-year-old veteran from Salina, pressed Moran on why Congress does not pursue a “Medicare for All” plan.

“It would work. … The system’s already in place,” said Zamrzla, who noted that his cousin works in Moran’s Wichita office.

Moran said the federal government needs to ensure the stability of Medicaid and Medicare for the programs’ current beneficiaries before expanding the federal health program.

Eleanor McMindes, an 86-year-old retired teacher from Hays, said she’s known the Moran family for decades. She said the bill’s impact on rural hospitals, which are already struggling, is a major concern.

“In western Kansas we have a lot of hospitals that cannot even afford to have a doctor on duty. Our doctors from Hays go out there like a day at a time,” she said.

Or a different article on the same town hall:

Constituents urge Moran to maintain opposition to Senate health care bill at packed town hall

Bob Cox, of Hays, was the pediatrician for Moran’s daughters. He drove from nearby Hays to advocate for more spending on health care. Cox said he and his wife, Sheryl, are Republicans, but that they rarely vote for Republicans anymore. Cox said the two voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election and that he supported a single-payer health care system.

During the town hall, Cox asked Moran why the U.S. spends resources on military readiness to protect citizens from external threats while leaving health care to “a for-profit system failing to meet some needs.”

My favorite quote from the Star article:

Armin Kelly, a 70-year-old retired veterinarian from Plainville, said the GOP bill takes money away from people who need it to pay for a tax cut. Kelly said he knew Moran’s parents well and traced his opposition to the bill partly to his upbringing.

“They’re salt-of-the-earth-type people and that puts Jerry in a difficult position,” he said. “You know, he’s intelligent. He’s informed. He’s a very nice man and so now, he’s a Republican, which puts him in a difficult position.”

Which isn't to say that he doesn't have cognitive dissonance, or that his constituents don't. The same area went handily to Trump. They still want to Repeal and Replace. But they're not willing to shoot their own feet to do it.

Shit.

I just remembered that I have, like... 3 XRP. Has it also appreciated in value?

Alas.

keifermiller  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 6th Weekly-ish Bakers' Thread

What is the swirl bowl called? You're flouring it up and then doing your final rise there, right?

keifermiller  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New to Hubski? Old to Hubski? Can't post? Come on in, let's discuss.

Realizing that I could go back and edit tags was handy. Quite a few times I post without 'em and go back in later after I've noticed what others are using.

goobster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, I could go back and edit, I guess.

But there still is no list of available tags, or appropriate ones, or whatever.

I'm sure if I was committed to the platform fully, I would instinctively remember whether it is #SillySeason or #sillyseason, or I might actually remember the BETTER version of that tag that KB came up with... but I will never find that post again, just to discover the tag he used, so I can edit my post with an appropriate tag... that has some unknown value or reason for existing...

rd95  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Which is why I often use the most simple, straightforward, topic appropriate tag. Community tags on the other hand, I'll get a bit more creative if the first two tag slots are already well filled. If not, then I'll tag it with once again, a simple, straightforward, topic appropriate tag.

keifermiller  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 6th Weekly-ish Bakers' Thread

Kind of bummed because I misremember a recipe that makes the rounds look really nice, but hopefully they'll still taste good.

All the bread you've posted so far has looked it would feel at home in bakery: artistic and consistent.