keifermiller's comments
keifermiller  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 8, 2017

The landscape is definitely changing. It's quiet, but something does seem to be happening. At the very least, Red shaming stopped being an effective firewall while no one was paying attention.

Lee Carter sang Solidarity Forever to celebrate victory. The Democrats are still busy rending themselves apart, and that opens the door to the left hijacking more of their ballot lines.

keifermiller  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 8, 2017

election night

Locally, two of the three city council candidates I supported won. The one I was most excited about managed to net herself a four year term. Went from being the fourth place vote getter in the primary to second in the general.

Less locally?

I say all of this to say that while I have not identified as a democratic socialist in the past, I would be honored to have the support of the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America. To me, being a socialist means acknowledging, confronting, and demanding reparations for social inequalities in no uncertain terms.

The district judge candidate who wrote that?

Fucking won.

Lee Carter, one of the people politico used for their "Could America’s Socialists Become the Tea Party of the Left?" bit?

Fucking won.

It's not all riding coat tails of the Democratic party either. Ginger Jentzen straight up ran on the Socialist Alternative ballot line and did pretty damn well.

Some of the financial guys I follow - conservatives and libertarians all - are suggesting that investors brace for outright goddamn socialism in the next four years. Not because they're fans, but because they see everything in pendulum swings and cycles and they figure the backlash against populism is gonna be epic.

keifermiller  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

keifermiller  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Running Bubble Has Popped

I don't run, but I do venture into the local running shops from time to time.

They are aggressively nice people. I'd absolutely join their group runs if that was my thing.

keifermiller  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What will the price of Bitcoin be one year from today?

170,000 caps in the waste of 2019.

Game money is bullshit though, so let's call it $78750.

keifermiller  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 250th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

keifermiller  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 1, 2017

I confess, I tend to check up on all ya'll's profile pages whenever I notice that string.

Apparently you can use an xbox Kinect as a cheap 3d scanner.

ButterflyEffect  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Didn't they just announce that the kinetic was no longer going to be manufactured?

I liked them, but wasn't a huge fan before the show.

Seeing them live was a definite oh, now I get it moment.

Spotify really doesn't do them justice. It's kinda like what I've imagined Pfunk shows being like. George Clinton & co. have played here twice in the past five years and we've missed them both times because of family.

If they swing through a third time, we won't be missing them.

I know a lady who was giving out coffee mugs. She'd just moved and discovered she didn't have enough counter space.... I'm not sure if they were an optional extra or mandatory in lou of candy.

keifermiller  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 1, 2017

I'll probably end up going that route for some of this. :|

I hate buying shit online. Especially when it gets shipped via my work.

I've seen so many boxes of fasteners get destroyed during shipping. Hardly anyone packages them stout enough.

As it is, I've already got an air shipment that's Late By Day because it sat for 20~ish hours in our flagship facility thanks to "operational conditions". My 1 meter aluminum extrusions are coming in a different shipment via fucking ground service, so I give it 50/50 odds that they're bent.

On the other hand, I had one package come via amazon's private vehicle delivery drivers. Took less than six hours to reach me, shipping was free, the box was pristine, and the lady was stressed as fuck.

Aluminum extrusions should arrive via poster tube. They should be fine. should be. I've ordered similar weirdness without issue.

keifermiller  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 1, 2017

I was being literal. :)

By the end of the show, an entire bottle of red wine had been emptied onto the crowd.

Just got back from Gogol Bordello.

It was a 2 1/2 hour show, plus the opener. We were on the outer cusp of wine-spitting-distance. The entire venue was. Cost us like $20.

It was awesome.

Pre Edit Edit: I'm starting to suspect the local venue has a deal where the doors open at 7pm, but the band can't start before 9pm. Gotta milk those bar sales.

Edit: It's midnight. Who wants grilled cheese?

Edit: Edit: I've got half of a 3d printer printed. Most of the outsourced parts are in the mail. Hitting some walls getting the right metric fasteners locally, though.

ButterflyEffect  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

3D print a 3D scanner and you've got yourself a replicator.

keifermiller  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Apparently you can use an xbox Kinect as a cheap 3d scanner.

ButterflyEffect  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

goobster  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've seen Gogol Bordello probably nine or ten times, over the last fifteen years or so, here and in Europe.

Any one of their shows is worth five of any other band's shows.

Just amazing. LOVE THEM.

keifermiller  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

I liked them, but wasn't a huge fan before the show.

Seeing them live was a definite oh, now I get it moment.

elizabeth  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've seen Gogol in Toronto Once, they have INSANE energy on stage! Love them. Too bad it's been a while they've visited us in Montreal.

keifermiller  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

If they swing through a third time, we won't be missing them.

Dude I had a hard time finding metric fasteners for the Benelli when I was in Los Angeles.

Bolt Depot is your friend.

keifermiller  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'll probably end up going that route for some of this. :|

I hate buying shit online. Especially when it gets shipped via my work.

weewooweewoo  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am amused that wine-spitting-distance is a term that people use.

keifermiller  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was being literal. :)

weewooweewoo  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am amused that wine-spitting-distance is a term that people use.

keifermiller  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Paul Manafort surrenders to the FBI

:party_parrot:

Who else is shocked Trump didn't shitcan Muller before we got here?

tacocat  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yo.

keifermiller  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 25, 2017

work

Vacation starts today! Hell. Yes.

My full time supervisor tried to dick me out of the first two days, but I'm better at office politics than he is.

union stuff

Time to vote for the local leadership. It's disheartening because my current local leadership supports Hoffa, but they're also pretty competent. And because they support Hoffa, we've got an outsized representation. Multiple people on national negotiating committees for the upcoming UPS contract. On the other hand, that doesn't mean shit if they aren't willing to push the envelope...

3d printer

I've learned enough of FreeCAD to know that I don't like it. Had to reinstall my system because the linux distro I was using didn't have an operational OpenSCAD package. Greetings from Ubuntu 17.10! I now have OpenSCAD, and can get back to tweaking the Mini Kossel parts to accept v-slot.

concert

I'll have seen Gogol Bordello by this time next week. 1,700 people venue. Very excited.