keifermiller's comments

Where we love our shows of power is flying military jets over sporting events.

My city's got a fuckin' polaris missle in a city park.

keifermiller  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone tried Vivaldi?

I liked it a lot when I used it before.

To be honest, I can't really remember why I stopped using it. I'm on Qupzilla most of the time now, but I might switch back now that you've reminded me of it.

ooli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I used Qupzilla for a while... Cant remember why I stopped using it. I'm on Palemoon now. But Qupzilla was super fast if I remember well

On raw wages:

Fedex

In the KC area, FedEx is sitting at $12.50/hr for newhire unskilled labor. If indeed.com is trustworthy.

UPS

The UPS/IBT national contract sets the floor for newhire unskilled labor at $10/hr. In the KC area they are at $10.20.

UPS is in negotations with IBT right now for the new contract that comes up August 1st. It will be... interesting.

UPS wins hands down once the union benefits kick in, but that takes a year.

tl;dr: UPS < Wallyworld < FedEx

keifermiller  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 27, 2017

The past two days have been absolutely shit for my circle of close friends and family.

One of the things I realized is that over the past six years, this community has had a significant impact on my ability to respond to that.

Thank you.

keifermiller  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: After Universal Basic Income, The Flood – Simon Sarris – Medium

On the other hand, UBI is fairly market orientated.

Here's some economy points, go forth and spend as you will while we stigmatize you for it is a damn sight more American than let's organize consumers into a massive state backed bloc and drive down costs.

veen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well on the other other hand, the stigma alone could make it politically infeasble and societally unacceptable. Ezra Klein made the point that even if someone figures out a workable and affordable UBI system, it will take a long time before people are willing to accept large swaths of people leeching off the government in something that isn't retirement.

snoodog  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

You could probably just reword and remarked the standard tax deduction to be UBI. The problem is that you would have to quadruple it or so

keifermiller  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Where Millennials Come From

I hate the union, they've done nothing for me. It's stupid!

-- The lady at work in a cushy seniority bid position after having life saving surgery for free on the union health plan.

And can someone explain to me why many Americans think that unions is a bad thing? (Or why unions are a bad thing in the US)

I feel like this is another thing that millennials might kill, but the "git 'er done" work ethic in the US is real and deeply ingrained.

The NLRB is also structured in a way that weakens unions. We've have a few cases in my local in the past year where the company was clearly violating the contract, but the cases still managed to got sent off to Arbitration. Never heard about them again, so I assume they decided against the union. One of these cases was black and white where the company was selectively handing out extra-contract bonuses to employees. If we'd won that, it would have easily put thousands of dollars in lots and lots and lots of pockets.

We've also inflicted a lot of wounds against ourselves. See Hoffa, Hoffa Jr, Ron Carey, etc, ect.

keifermiller  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 27, 2017

I have free time again! The pupper can resume being less bored now!

I've also started playing Halo 5 with a flat earther from work. I thought he was trolling, but I'm not sure any more...

keifermiller  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you.

Darktable is the best I've found in FLOSS land.

keifermiller  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who Wants to Buy the Most Expensive House in America?

I'll be honest, I'm slightly surprised that

The most expensive home sale to date in America is a $137 million spread in New York, in the Hamptons

Figured it would have been more.

On the other hand, for those of us who remember when Thurston Howell III was unimaginably rich as a "millionaire" this chart is fucking obscene:

keifermiller  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Literal Shit Exploded Out of a Water Fountain at the EPA

Marlon Bundo

... I kinda like it.

Edit:

Turns out he has a

DRUMROLL

book

keifermiller  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: What gaming console should I get for my 7 year old?

FAMILY TIME

- Wii Sports Resort. It's wonderful for short group play sessions.

- Mario Party is good for longer family time.

- Wario Ware is supposed to be lots of fun. I've never seen it, but the reputation is good.

- I personally find find Mario Kart and Smash frustrating to play, but again, good group games with great reputations.

- Mario Strikers is a personal favorite, but I've encountered lots of people who feel about it how I feel about Smash. It's surprisingly complicated to play, so lots of people revert to button mashing. edit: On reflection, a 7 year old probably wouldn't enjoy this one unless they were big into soccer.

- If there are bad Lego games, they are elusive. Every one I've played has had good split screen two player co-op, and was cute enough to be fun to watch as well as play.

keifermiller  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: What gaming console should I get for my 7 year old?

Thinking on it, the Nintendo 2DS could also be an option for similar reasons. The public library probably wouldn't have any cartridges to loan out, but you could give them each one and they wouldn't have to share.

Wii has Mario Party, DS has pokemon...

Second the Wii.

The game library is huge, cheap, and their age group is well catered to.

They'll be much more likely to afford used wii games with whatever gift money they have, new switch games are expensive. Also, my public library has amassed a huge selection of kid friendly stuff they could check out; I'd wager yours has too.

thenewgreen  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you and kantos. We are ordering a Wii. We don’t want them to have the ability to take it with them out of the home. We envision using it only during dedicated “family” hours when we will all play together.

Now, if I can get you and perhaps others to weigh in on the best wii games, that would be awesome.

Thanks again

kantos  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

On the whole, nowaypablo basically hit what I'd touch on.

I'm less in-the-know of Wii titles than I'd like to be. As far as solo adventurous games that inspire wonder years later, will bring on nostalgia, and a potential for learning about older titles, then Zelda (Twilight Princess, or even Breath of the Wild, if that's out for Wii). and Smash Bros Melee. But IIRC, you have young girls that you may want avoiding violent games (though, I think it's more like to be anti-social than violent). Otherwise, I'd be all for Mario Kart - Mario Party (the link is to 9, but there is an 8) is always a safe bet with groups and kids (if you want a title to play with the kids and easy to pick up, too).

Either way, if they get excited and interested, they are bound to develop keen hand-eye coordination.

Also, played them a handful of times, if at all, but I think they'd enjoy Just Dance or the Wii Fit assortment. I have an inclination you'd like the titles/games referenced in this paragraph more than the top, lol. The top is where the "best" are, down here is the "safe" are. But if you have any interest in gaming, then the above can also be a shared experience.

Can't link Just Dance, since it's formatting is similar to Hubski's and keeps breaking. But there are a few of that released for Wii. Typing in the search bar of the nintendo site will get good results.

keifermiller  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

FAMILY TIME

- Wii Sports Resort. It's wonderful for short group play sessions.

- Mario Party is good for longer family time.

rd95  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Wii and the WiiU are the two least played devices I own, but I'm glad I have both. If you want some classic gaming in your collection, both Kirby Dream Collection and Mario All Stars are good bargains. If your kids are seven and four, Kirby will be near perfect for them, as the whole series is known for being both accessible and relatively easy. Mario, on the other hand, will provide quite a bit more challenge in comparison, but chances are if they stick with it, they'll find the same rewards in the series we did when we were growing up.

keifermiller  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wii has Mario Party, DS has pokemon...

kantos  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

Consider it a third. Also, do your research in WiiU as much as Wii. Despite poor marketing, they are considered different consoles in the gaming community for good reasons in their own right. That said, my poor understanding is WiiU is more portable and the "missing link" between the Wii and the Switch. I'm more a proponent of the Wii alone so you have more time with your child when away from home rather than having them sucked into the digital world when you have intent to connect with them. That way, when its at home, it stays home. Speaking from experience of the child in their own digital reality during family events... Sometimes used as a coping mechanism now. Anywho, While they are young, they may enjoy WiiFit, too. Nothing beats playing catch with Dad, though.

keifermiller  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What food could you eat the most of?

(Homemade) Chili. I'll happily eat it for every meal until we the pot is gone. Crush in a shitload of saltine crackers to make it last longer.

Dala  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have a tendency to overdo it when I eat chili as well. And then have to decide whether or not I actually regret it. XD

keifermiller  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are you playing?

sgeorge picked up a used Xbox One and Halo 5 yesterday. Just got past the first mission.

This game has more ham than a Christmas dinner!