keifermiller's comments

I've handled an absolute fuckton worth of parcels. Millions by this point.

There's gotta be some social value in that. Even once you discount all the online retail brick-a-brac facilitated.

WanderingEng  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·

It's almost certain that you've handled a package that meant something really special to someone, the kind of thing they'll never forget.

keifermiller  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 282nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I'm not sure what this says about me, this one has hit home for a while now.

On the "better music" front:

keifermiller  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump surrenders in U.S. War of Independence

Give Pruitt time. At this rate, it'll come out he tried for some franchise opportunities in Ukraine too. He's nothing if not efficient at finding new fronts on which to be corrupt.

Well, he would know.

I mean, who doesn't want a Chick-fil-a franchise?

johnnyFive  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was more thinking about how one of his former campaign people has since been indicted for being corrupt in Ukraine.

keifermiller  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

keifermiller  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Supreme Court is about to change unions in America

Link to the Washington Post bit from the second paragraph: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/03/01/if-the-supreme-court-rules-against-unions-conservatives-wont-like-what-happens-next

I can't decide if conservatives really want to destroy the current model of business unionism, or want to simply reduce it to a husk.

keifermiller  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Capitalism Has Failed, and TIDAL is Proof, and Oh Also About Our Imminent Doom

By something else, I didn't mean Communism. I meant "it depends".

Mostly I responded because "What is the alternative?" implies to me a choice between Capitalism and Whatever Else. That would require more control over the situation than we actually have. At some point, Capitalism will stop being a viable process, be it for ecological reasons, cultural change, financial crisis, whatever.

I'm not saying that we don't have agency, just that choosing Capitalism from now until forever isn't really within our practical sphere of choice. If no other set of relations is viable, human history will get really bleak really fast.

something else

What that something else looks like depends on the conditions that turn the page on what we've got now. The traditional wager was that worker unrest would be the main driving force, and it's a short hop from there to assuming that "The Alternative" is big 'c' Communism.

If it is ecological collapse that does it, though, well that society is gonna look different from one where the tipping point was revolt due to mass unemployment.

moslydeaf  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is what discourages me from seeing alternatives, Communism has done little more than caused mass starvation historically, and only addresses inequality by making the vast percentage equally poor while those in power still live lives of luxury. I have little hope "real" communism will ever exist in a world of scarcity and materialism, or any chance of ridding the world of inequity beyond social inequity for that matter. I see radical federal intervention to prevent businesses from taking advantage as they do as a potential alternative, but a country the size of America, or many first world countries, must remain somewhat hospitable to businesses to maintain an economy (from my understanding). I only see a massive period of upheaval catalyzed by an unknown event filled with a lot of suffering and death as society attempts to transition. Even then I have little hope that a new system will be established in which those with influence won't attempt to secure resources for themselves over their constituency and maintain their influence, I'm not misanthropic I just believe people will always put their survival over other despite how warp demanding their idea of "surviving" is.

I also don't see how the modern world we live in would be maintained outside of capitalism, invention is fueled by competition, whether it be war or financial, our technology supplied by cheap labor, our infrastructure held up not by good Samaritans but by people working for a paycheck, On a micro level I believe sharing the load is doable, but who want's to fix the sewers in New York city for free, or run the power plants, or work the factory line. There's so much said about how capitalism and government need to change, and I agree, but little about people and what their expectations enable.

I have little hope beyond trying to be am egalitarian to those around me and eaking out as comfortable of a living as I can for me and mine, mine being my family, friends, and whatever semblance of a community I occasionally encounter.

It's been a long day so I might be more illiterate than normal and maybe more moody.

keifermiller  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

By something else, I didn't mean Communism. I meant "it depends".

keifermiller  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Gosh darned bookthread time.

Burnt out on history and hot takes on history right now.

Since the last thread, I've read:

- Understanding Power, which is a curated collection of talks by Chomsky. Was fairly interesting, but is slowly fading away into the past. Worth it for the footnotes, and reads quickly.

- From #BlackLivesMatter to Black Liberation by Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, which was my first experience of reading about an event and going "wait, that happened how many years ago?" This one was probably my favorite out of the bunch this round. I actually checked it out along with Black Against Empire, but ended up shelving the that one a quarter of the way through once the history burn out set in.

- Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber. I'm actually not quite done with this one yet, but will be before the night is over. Unless there is a magic finish to this one, it is solidly in the "over hyped" territory.

- The War on Leakers: National Security and American Democracy, From Eugene V. Debs to Edward Snowden by Lloyd C. Gardner. Emphasis on Snowden, Debs is hardly featured. This was the most forgettable. By which I mean I forgot I about it until I was looking at my library checkout history to make sure I didn't miss anything. The writing is lack luster, and the facts it brings to the table are more or less along the lines you would suspect.

I'm a shit book reviewer. But that's ok.

keifermiller  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 6, 2018

Spent the first few days of vacation learning about CAD workflows. Before this week, shit worked but was horrendously unmanageable.

I'm getting better! This doggie bag holder is largely driven by parameters, and optimizes itself for printing based on the input nozzle width of the 3d printer. It'll be getting thrown up on thingiverse/github as public domain once I'm satisfied with it.

__________

Done: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2951055

keifermiller  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Microsoft is acquiring GitHub.

Kinda 'meh' about this. Github was always a business.

I'd be down for an opensource federated alternative, and hopefully one will emerge, but the fact that a proprietary platform is changing hands isn't really an oh shit moment to me. There was always the chance that github could tell me to get stuffed at the drop of a hat anyways.

keifermiller  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Microsoft is acquiring GitHub.

Halo was basically Marathon, but you could jump and didn't have to read the story.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
keifermiller  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your favourite buy-it-for-life item?

I'm late to the party, and I think I've said this before, but if you need disposable work boots, you could do a lot worse than Thorogoods.

I've had mine for two and a half years. The soles are shot. I could resole them, but I've worn the leather through on the toes from kicking boxes. They look like hell, but I can still probably get another year out of them. They are comfy. Union made. And way cheaper than buying $60 shoes every five months.

If you're poor, watch the spring/fall Amazon fashion sales. For whatever reason, they tend to get included in those.

keifermiller  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Funny Slogans for the #Realdemocrats

also pretty good. specially the twitter account.

keifermiller  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 9, 2018

The locals have approved a strike authorization vote.

I have faith in the rank and file. Just not in Hoffa.

He'll probably roll over and indefinitely extend the old contract like last time.

snoodog  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wish there was a way to fight the union bosses. Those fuckwits don’t represent anything or anyone but themselves and will just sabotage your negotiations when you are winning