keifermiller's comments
keifermiller  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ohio Special Election Live Update

Oh! This was a Congressional district. So not a statewide race. Sorry. The coffee is slow to work this morning.

582.000 people over the age of 18. Still not great, but better. I can't find any stats right now on how many of those are actually registered to vote. TBH, I'm not too convinced that's a useful stat in this context anyways. More of a sanitizing one. "Participation rates go up once you only factor in people who at least minimally engaged with the system!"

Cumol  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

thats even worse. Why is that so? Isn’t everyone allowed to vote?

That’s like a 2.5% voter turnout???

keifermiller  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Closer to 50%. This was not a state-wide election, just a Congressional race.

keifermiller  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Chefs of Hubski. What are some of your favorite vegetarian dishes to make?

Crispy like bacon bits.

keifermiller  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 18, 2018

I just told the local DSA folks I'd help them canvas next Saturday. They asked if I could do it today, but I've been day drinking.

Honestly? This kinda scares the willies out of me. One of the reasons I'm so militant at work is I've figured how to override my social anxiety through combativeness.

My anxiety isn't anywhere near as bad as it used to be, and I can recognize that this will be good for me to do, but I haven't felt an abstract twinge of fear like this for quite a while.

keifermiller  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 11, 2018

Werd.

I walk a lot more after my last accident.

keifermiller  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: America’s Millennials Are Waking Up to a Grim Financial Future

The one thing I'd add into that mix is

4) Voter supression. I've been scrubbed from the roles before, and found out about on election day. It sucks. If I had been on the edge about voting because of (2), that experience probably would have been enough to push me over.

I have voted in every election, local state and national, since 1992. I have voted absentee since 1994. If you have the ability to set it up, do so... because they can't purge you if you've been voting regularly.

keifermiller  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Millennial Socialists are Coming

I am.

Your experience will depend on where you are. Organization and activity decisions are largely left up to the locals. They're a big tent organization, so some areas will be more marxists or anarchists or whatever, while others will be more social democratic.

The larger cities have been doing some pretty good stuff lately.

That'd actually be a better logo for DSA.

BeOS / Haiku.

Haiku's window tiling is simplistic but feels good.

bfv  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

I ported Doom to BeOS back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I'm still convinced that if they'd gotten a Maya/Houdini/whatever port they'd have gotten the SGI refugees that eventually settled for OsX and survived.

On the same note, Tcl/Tk. It's sick and wrong from a programming language geek perspective, but it's still the easiest way to do all the parts of software that suck and bends over backwards to make it easy to use something else for the interesting parts.

goobster  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

Man, I wanted to love BeOS so bad. I got to know Jean-Louis Gasee pretty well. He knew it wasn't fully "there" yet, but it was a good start. But I never invested in it... I just couldn't buy it as a "hobbyist" machine.

user-inactivated  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting.

Dala, remember our old busted laptop that we used to run CrunchBang way back when? Do we still have that lying around somewhere? Wanna throw Haiku onto it?

Dala  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

The one that is staring down at you every time you are in your closet? Go for it. I think it still runs but I doubt the battery is worth shit at this point.

user-inactivated  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is that what that is? Ha! I thought it was some old cooling pad we just had lying around for some reason.

Mercy. They sure didn't make old laptops to be pretty, did they?

goobster  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

(You two are sitting on opposite ends of the couch, typing this to each other on Hubski, right?)

user-inactivated  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wish! She's a better conversationalist and doesn't smell like a dog.

Edit: I just realized, out of context, that makes no sense. The dog is keeping me company at home right now.

keifermiller  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 20, 2018

Finally heard something about the contract!

Pretty 'meh' so far. Could be worse, but could be better.

On the 3d printer project front: I think my current one just shit the bed. Might have to grab a mono price mini... :(

keifermiller  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 20, 2018

... I think we might actually strike.

Contract runs out Aug 1. Haven't heard anything from the union about voting on the proposal.

The alternative is agreeing to extend the life of the old contract. That'd be the second time in a row.

_____

On funner news, I think my long bogged down project to design a 3d printer is almost done. Just need to calibrate some tolerances. Right now I need a press to fit some of the dovetail joins together.

keifermiller  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·

Finally heard something about the contract!

Pretty 'meh' so far. Could be worse, but could be better.

I've handled an absolute fuckton worth of parcels. Millions by this point.

There's gotta be some social value in that. Even once you discount all the online retail brick-a-brac facilitated.

WanderingEng  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's almost certain that you've handled a package that meant something really special to someone, the kind of thing they'll never forget.

keifermiller  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 282nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I'm not sure what this says about me, this one has hit home for a while now.

On the "better music" front:

keifermiller  ·  65 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump surrenders in U.S. War of Independence

Give Pruitt time. At this rate, it'll come out he tried for some franchise opportunities in Ukraine too. He's nothing if not efficient at finding new fronts on which to be corrupt.

Well, he would know.

I mean, who doesn't want a Chick-fil-a franchise?

johnnyFive  ·  65 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was more thinking about how one of his former campaign people has since been indicted for being corrupt in Ukraine.

keifermiller  ·  65 days ago  ·  link  ·