We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
keifermiller's comments
keifermiller  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: POST SONGS THAT ENCAPSULATE HOW YOUR DAY WENT.

Work: not a big NIN fan, but it is right on the nose for the day.

keifermiller  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New York Teamsters Members Say Yes to Pension Cuts

4) The unions say "we can take a massive hit on what we provide or we can declare insolvency. You choose."

I expect to get nothing from my pension. I'm 20-35 years out looking at it: no fucking way it lasts that long as shit stands the way it does.

And look - this is the teamsters we're talking about. They drive and load UPS and the like. Amazon? Amazon hires day players to drop your shit off in their own cars for $9 an hour. Are you going to stop using Amazon? I'm not. I use Lyft. It costs hella less than taxis and provides no security whatsoever to its drivers.

Between those two, at the outset, Amazon actually pays their loaders better. Out here, it is $12 full time at Amazon vs $10.20 part time at UPS. Not sure how much the Amazon pay rates change by location, the UPS rates are across the board due to being laid out in their national contract.

I had to look at job postings to check the amazon pay. I forgot how much I hate hr speak. Cozy kicks a must!: you'll be on your feet all goddamned day.

I don't really either. It's one of three different solutions I have for covering my dotage. I'm crazy lucky. And realistically speaking, there's no way in hell I can handle living a thousand miles away from my family 4-6 months a year for the next flipping 17 years minimum.

And I'll bet Amazon pays better for warehouse - but for Amazon Flex I've heard it's hot bullshit. It certainly seems as if nobody is being paid well. The people I've talked to who have done it have given up in less than a week.

keifermiller  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 13, 2017

CHICKEN

Tyson wants to come to town. I suspect they will get to, but it won't be a fun affair.

APPARTMENT

The unit next to us finally rented. It has been empty the entire 9 months we have lived here. The new tenants are... frigid. Say "hi", and they just keep lookin' forward and walk past. Meh.

That said, we've been here 9 months, and we don't have any red flags about continuing to live here. This is unprecedented. The goal is to stay here a few years until we have a down payment together.

BREAKFAST

I'm eating a large bowl of refried beans and meatless taco meat.

rd95  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Where's Alaska's bid?

Did he look like shaved me, or I-can't-really-grow-a-beard-but-I'm-gonna-try* me? I've posted pictures of both. :)

___________

* alas.

rd95  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bearded you. Flaming red and all.

keifermiller  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: $13B fine to hide wrong-doing, turns out to be a deal

You didn't miss much, I was just curious.

My reading over the summer

I've got like 25 pages left on White Trash, and I was wondering: did the audiobook version handle the footnotes in any way? Because they're like the last quarter of the book.

Weren't even in there.

keifermiller  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

You didn't miss much, I was just curious.

keifermiller  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: U.S. Employers Struggle To Match Workers With Open Jobs

Somewhere there is an alternate timeline in which the Wobblies won the fight to organize labor in the 20th century.

I'd quite like to go there.

keifermiller  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: TIH: September 1, 1939- The official start of the European theater of WWII

@realtimewwii on twitter is on the start of the war again, too.

keifermiller  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: U.S. Employers Struggle To Match Workers With Open Jobs

We are union. I'm proud to be union. I work where I do because of the union. That said:

Business unionism sucks. snoodog has some valid points. I know that as a low-ish seniority part-timer, the union as an institution doesn't give a shit about me. Individual people can be great. The institution? Fucking frustrating.

rjw  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree with both of you in that regard. Whether a union acts in the interest of employees in general (including new ones) or in the interests of some privileged clique (e.g. senior employees, the business) is down to a number of political factors, the way in which the union is organised, etc. Iron law of oligarchy and all that.

keifermiller  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd quite like to go there.

I subscribe to the "companies have forgotten how to pay" take on this.

My employer turned a $3+ billion profit last year. $4+ billion the year before. They've been reduced to offering newhires a $125 bonus each week in exchange for actually showing up to work every day. That's all. Clock in five times a week: make $125 extra.

And here I am, making a killing in forced overtime every day because they can not get staffed. Why?

You can't find good candidates if a you can't match barista wages.

Newbies start off at $10 an hour. Newbies have to wait a year to get benefits. The job is just part-time. The schedule isn't fixed, making it hard to plan another job around. Even with the bonus: why would they stay?

Corporate is in a position where every new person they hire sucks. Because they can only get people who haven't done the barista math. And all their old hands don't give a flying fuck, because the company oh-so-wisely decided to leave them in the cold with those retention bonuses.

It is a trainwreck that everyone could see coming a mile off as the unemployment rate fell. But nobody did anything about it, because properly compensating labor is tantamount to sharing profits.

rjw  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

Aaaaaand this is why we need unions.

snoodog  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

No unions are part of the problem. They are constantly negotiating down wages for new employees to help those that have retired in place or are near retirement. Look at all the tiered compensation schemes they negotiated where new guys can never earn as much as a legacy employee. Or all the benefit reductions for new hires. In some places unions actually negotiated for wages lower than local min wages because Fuck the new guy.

keifermiller  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

rjw  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

keifermiller  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd quite like to go there.

keifermiller  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 19, 2017

The whole foods one is really good stuff! I'm thinking about taking it to a potluck this Friday, which would be the second time in a week that we've brought this to a dinner.

OftenBen  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm glad you like it! It's become a staple for me.

Add chopped strawberries and balsamic vinegar to it sometime.

keifermiller  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What's Hubski Reading?

Active reads:

I've (re)started Das Kapital from the beginning, and am at the start of the third chapter. I gave up on the book the first time because I was reading it as a pdf with teeny tiny scrunched up text on my Kindle: not exactly an ideal format.

I'm a third of the way through White Trash. Need to make progress on it, 'cause I didn't read much last week and the library wants it back soonish.

Suspended Reads:

I got halfway through Wealth of Nations and put it down. Will probably pick it back up once I finish White Trash?

I also still want to finish War and Peace.

keifermiller  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump pardons former Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Bet Trump will drop his talk about a manned mission to Mars now that he doesn't need to give Gorka a lift back to his home planet.

DPRK News Serviceā€ @DPRK_News

Self-Serious Effeminate National Socialist Buffoon Sebastian Gorka limply resigns in disgrace, likely to spend more time with his dolls.

keifermiller  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 23, 2017

Went to the (y)dsa meeting with the city commissioner candidate. It was interesting. I'm happy I supported her in the primary. I'll attend their general meeting next month.