kantos's comments
kantos  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 15, 2018

Damn. August is shaping up to be a weird-ass birthday month.

Work

Happy to have this as a subtitle. Don't think I've really used it.

There is a high turnover rate as a tutor near a college. Simply, most the hires are college students... who graduate. A lot of them are nerds like myself and are fun to work with. Sadly, after about half a year there, I'm suddenly a 'veteran.' As a result, I'm picking up way more hours, which is great given my light load for my last semester.

School

Starting my last semester next week. Woot!

Life

August is the birthday month, yay! Got rear-ended on the way home today. Not aware of damage to myself. Minor damage to the car... annoying since its (the same ca that got the window smashed) is my grandmother's. Nothing sad, just a pain. (See first sentence) On the bright side of things, a cosmetic for my main champion in LoL is getting released tomorrow. Oddly, that's been holding me afloat for something nice at the end of the past 2 weeks.

Relationships

Weird how after setting a boundary and working to not be in a weird space with ol' lady friend from the past posts, she isn't willing to see me. Runs against what she had been saying for the past month or two since setting she crossed that. Buddy of mine told me about how it's common for boundaries to serve as ammo for those who crossed a boundary to villain-ize (?) the person who had set it. Sucks, (if true) but nothing to do there. Assuming I won't be seeing her indefinitely is my best bet.

On the other hand, I actually was PM'd on an online dating site for once - by someone who isn't a bot. More to come next Pubski post, I'm sure.

kantos  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Make Your Daughter Practice Math. She’ll Thank You Later.

next time they ask when they will ever use the math try telling them that ... insert any math heavy career doing what they do.

I like this a lot. I have K-12, all depending on the day. Most who ask "when will I ever use this" is late middle school to early high school.

As much as practicing math is the answer for some people, asking young people why they don't see themselves in a STEM career or asking them to describe the person they do see in those careers would probably get a few kids thinking. They might start realizing that they can check off a few boxes on the list of traits people who belong in STEM careers have. This is similar to what they hope to achieve with better representation of women and minorities in STEM careers. The goal is that people can see themselves in the career but I think getting young people to really question why they don't see themselves in those careers helps in more ways.

This was a great explanation and example to clarify your reasoning for your suggestion above as well. Thanks for indulging in my question.

What I'm getting from this is the recommended answer to the question be used as a validation of their skills should they choose to go down a math heavy line of work, they can look back on experiences like the work they have now as positive reinforcements for how they can achieve such a career.

kantos  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Donald Trump thinks the F-35 is literally invisible

gladly

I agree. I had the dumb idea to press "contribute" to the reflexive corrections I vomited on the keyboard. Just looking forward to the mid-terms as a start.

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I had the dumb idea to press "contribute"

About every example of my comments here. I sometimes just give up and say a dumb thing I'm not happy with.

No worries.

kantos  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Donald Trump thinks the F-35 is literally invisible

Billions spent is only on a handful of fighters.... Just add "on radar" after 'invisible' and he'd sound normal.... They don't see them in fights because dogfight era is overwith, the fight (ideally) is a missile shot from mid- to long-range....

Oh god. I need a shower.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

The leader of the free world shouldn't need help with the finer points of stealth technology

kantos  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I had the dumb idea to press "contribute"

No worries.

Quatrarius  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

keep your cummies to yourself

kantos  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

gladly

kantos  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Make Your Daughter Practice Math. She’ll Thank You Later.

Eeehh, this is dusting off memories of making my Tallit bag for my bar mitzvah from needle point. Some coming of age gift...

I have a sneaking suspicion I could ctrl+G tech and replace it with most markets, sadly. Though, empowerment (the article at hand) is a first step to the decisions that may lead down those paths. Empowerment doesn't necessitate those realities afflict her.

OH, thanks. Yup, that looks about right - 'proportional thinking' and 'patterns's love child... on steroids. Damn, I have an added layer of respect for flac's level of patience.

Knitting is no joke. I've watched my wife dismantle 3 hours of work before because somewhere, back there, she's off a stitch.

kantos  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Re-reading the conclusion, I can see that. Though I'd argue making it fun as a precursor to rote work is essential to making math bearable to begin with. The only way I got through physics is because my professor had bombass drawing skills and would make light of a lot of "force diagrams." It made the tedious work grounded in something I looked back fondly on.

On: only some people use it... Yeah. Best I can offer when my kids ask me when they will ever use it is by my nerding out about some everyday phenomena and hoping I can direct it in an inspiring way.

I think I'm bhaving trouble connecting your last two sentences. If you're willing to clarify, then I'm all for knowing where the 'want' disconnected with the 'understanding.'

oyster  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Okay I'm struggling to explain this better but I'm going to try. Most kids pick something like doctor, engineer or astronaut when you ask them what they want to be when they grow up. Somewhere down the road a lot decide they can't do that and that they're better suited for something else. I'm sure what the article talks about explains why that happens for some people but I think it's a very small piece of a larger problem that is a fragile sense of self.

I don't know how old the kids you teach are but I'm guessing they haven't decided what they'll do with their lives yet, next time they ask when they will ever use the math try telling them that they'll need it when they're an engineer building something, or insert any math heavy career doing what they do. I can pretty much guarantee some kid will say they that isn't the career for them based off their barely formed sense of self, at that point I would ask them who they do see in that career, it's very possible they don't realize they have these natural talents.

When I was like 17 working in a garden center one of the guys approached me to ask what I wanted him to do. He was in his late 20's, studying something at University and I wasn't in a position of authority so he didn't have to follow me he made a choice too. I had been leading for months before this moment when I kind of froze for a second as the actual manager was also standing there with me and I realized that these people had been relying on me. I've been a leader in a number of jobs since then and I've only just decided that a job were I lead people is fulfilling for me so I should pursue that type of job. Only now, and I've been doing it for years without even realizing for like minimum wage. It took this long to realize that the moment when I was 17 and all the times after that weren't flukes. There were so many time that I thought about a career in STEM and was really excited about it. School was easy but that wasn't the problem, the problem was that I just didn't see myself in that position. I decided to study architecture because I wanted to do something that had an impact but I went to college instead of University because I like to minimize my contributions. I went to college for massage therapy which is still very science heavy because I decided University to become a physio therapist wasn't for me. None of this had to do with how well I did in school and how well I knew I could do. I wanted to do something that mattered but I was pushed back by a sense that it wasn't for me, that I didn't belong and would be found out as an imposter if I tried.

kantos  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I'd say so. Nearly all of our "prescriptives" about proportional thinking starts out with recipes

Example:

3 eggs makes 1 omelette. How many eggs will it take to make X omelettes, and vice versa.

That or an animal corresponding to number of legs in a group of said animal. Identifying patterns are also a big one for younger ages.

Most of this all builds into more complex ideas like similar (proportional) geometric shapes and exponential growths/series and sequences down the line. Best I can tie stitch counting back to is analytical thinking?

Best I can tie stitch counting back to is analytical thinking?

Whelp, you start with a pattern. Then you have to size it. Then you have to try it out with your yarn and needles a few times with adjustments. Then you run everything through your conversion factor. It's like a recipe except with trial and error, multiple conversion factors and the necessity of remembering multiple different things with their hands.

kantos  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Online dating: Aim high, keep it brief, and be patient

Shit. What should I do instead.

I found it funny how the 21% response rate for men 'aiming higher' was toted as the better (and only) statistic for men contacting women. Funny in a sad way, given its implication for both sides of the population.

OkC's chat redesign for males contacting women is smart. Nonetheless, its frustrating reaching out into nothing most of the time.

francopoli  ·  16 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I have a few people in my closer circle that do the online dating thing. Watching what they go through, I'd rather be shot or stabbed again.

One of the problems is that with the breakdown of the family structure in the country, and with people not going to church anymore, the last places left to meet people are work and school. Getting into romantic entanglements at work is a minefield at best. I always scream at people to not date coworkers. So, what is left? People don't have money to go to places any more, and clubs are not a place to go for dating. People are told to get into a hobby, but the issue with that is men and women tend to be into different things leading to segregated lifestyle choices. Nobody really wants to be hit on at the grocery store. Or at a department store. Or getting their overpriced coffee in the morning.

The short of it is that if you do not get hooked up with a life-long partner in school, or when you are young, you are going to have issues later in life wondering where all the single people are and how to make friends as an adult.

I've joked before that we need to go back to arranged marriages. That just presents a different misery. I wish I had an answer here.

veen  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·

As a guy, patience and (emotional) perserverence are mandatory. It can be a real fuckin' grind though. At a certain point I felt like I was having the same kinds of conversations over and over on various dating apps and dates, with different responses but similar results. It's hard to keep at it when you're effectively rejected by dozens if not hundreds of women.

I feel like I got off relatively well with the whole dating thing, only taking three ish months from nothing to finding someone where it really clicked. Friend of mine spent almost nine months looking around, chatting, and dating before he found someone good.

There's a Dutch saying though, "every jar has a fitting lid", meaning that for every person there's someone who would fit them really well. I believe that's true. You kind of have to believe that though, just to keep going.

kantos  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 8, 2018

Revisiting my new living situation. An extended lapse in thought missed that I only have two days of school per week for my last semester. Living at home and commuting looks so appealing right now. Sitting down and mapping out what that looks like presently.

kantos  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 290th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

kantos  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 1,2018

Thank you for sharing. I remember you recounting the trip in a pubski a long while back. I will 100% be scrubbing through the days later (doing a small amount typing this). Did you extend your stay?

Sidenote: wow, you're channel has really grown. Congrats!!

elizabeth  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I didn't extend my stay because I had already bought some tickets to a festival a couple days after the planned return from the trip. Otherwise, I probably would have stuck around for a week or so.

I don't know if the group I was with was just too young for me but I found all the Canadians really complain-y. And conversations were mostly high school level drama that just annoyed me. Good thing we had the Israeli soldiers around. They were like... real people. Lot of fun to hang out with :)

kantos  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 1,2018

Jack and coke.

This has been a week, and it's not over.

My grandmother passed this past weekend. She was the last surviving grandparent of mine that I was old enough to get to know other than a face and distant memories. It wasn't unexpected given her age, though it sure as hell wasn't expected all the same. For someone nearing in their 90s, she had exceptional presence of mind and a force of will that outlived what her body could offer.

I'm upset. I had a selfish notion in my head that she would at least be there for my graduation at the end of the year. As if she would be there to see me walk for both her and her late husband, who were the biggest part in my ability to go to college in the first place. Above all this, I'm going to miss talking with her about growing up and laughing with her on how things have changed. I'd be lying if I wrote I wasn't expecting at least one more heart-to-heart with her either. When she connected with her grandchildren in-person (she never really was much for phone calls), despite being cognizant, she would opt not to use words. She had this ability from time to time, to meet our eyes and let us know she understand the sentiment of wherever we were in conversation. It was also her way of showing us how much she cared and loved us. I miss her.

Now, my exam and moving living spaces are happening within 24 hours of me typing this. So, again, it's been a week and it ain't over. Needed a place to get some out before going balls deep and bawling in someone's arms after the move. So thanks for readin'.

This all aside, I have plans to go on Birthright after graduation and extend my stay indefinitely. I got family in Israel from both sides, so I'll have some reprieve if my activity has me dragging. I can also bring over some of my grandmother's stuffs they may want to keep within the family.

elizabeth  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

RIP :(

On a positive note, birthright is a lot of fun! I've been 2 summers ago and did a little video diary if you're interested:

kantos  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sidenote: wow, you're channel has really grown. Congrats!!

elizabeth  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·