kantos's comments
kantos  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 6, 2019

Phase 3 of Operation Graduation Celebration is underway. Arrived in Israel yesterday on Taglit (10-day trip with peers to travel the country). Extending the stay for a month - 9 more days with the group, then family for a few, settling in with a small farm for the duration.

I think the only Israeli 'skian to possibly connect with IRL is Cumol? Are you out of the country still?

Cumol  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey! Sadly, I am not... But you you want some suggestions on stuff to do, beyond the Taglit propaganda tour, let me know :)

Apart from that, I have a lot of friends in Tel Aviv, Haifa, and Jerusalem if you are up for party or meeting some burners!

kantos  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Child comments and threads can be collapsed by clicking the minus sign next to the child comment you wish to collapse.

kantos  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 311th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

kantos  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 14, 2018

Jackpot, thanks for the rundown! I've been eyeing the Home license for Esri, but what I'm looking to do would be a mix of personal and business. The lighthouses in California map you posted a while back, which program did you use for that? Assume that qualified well for a personal experiment/ArcGIS?

veen  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

I made the lighthouses with ArcGIS Pro, mostly because it's what I know best. But it was not much more than a good ordering of layers to get the desired effect, so QGIS would've worked just as fine.

My opinion is that it's personal until you start to turn a profit. Legal departments of large, loaded tech companies might disagree with me on that, but I haven't heard from them yet.

bfv  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

Scripts driving Cairo or just scribbling postscript to a file works fine too if you don't want to buy ArcGIS just to have it draw things for you. The ewkb you get out of PostGIS isn't hard to parse. Placing labels legibly is a more complicated problem than anyone expects at first, but the rest is straightforward.

kantos  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The End of the Year Hubski Relationship Advice Thread

First off, adding this to the saved pile in hopes of more to come. Thanks for writing this and adding your input to the topic. It really does seem like we've had some more relationship chats around here. Kinda heartwarming... if you're a romantic... or like beans.

Consolidate/Crowdsource

Aight, I have a stash of mixed posts/comments from goob, lil, and KB. Check it:

This entire thread was good. ^ Also hyper-relevant to your first point. Recommend the whole comment section, it touches on the second point. Probably more to be editted in here. Point 1 and 2 from the main post here got all the cogs spinning.

This comment sticks in my brain, especially recently, as a reminder that taking it slow in any form of relationship (friendship to romantic) is sometimes exactly what both parties need or flat out want. It's also a great segue into the next comment below, yet I think those two from KB go well as a pair, too.

Read 'em and weep, hubs. Been refraining from posting since I've come into another similar place. Being superstitious and not trying to jinx it. But, it's been the most positive budding whatever-the-fuck I've had to date. Happy to say I'm seeing progress from the shitty ghosting situation last year this time, to the shitty love triangle-esque situation half a year ago, up to cautiously optimistic situation I'm in now. I can state this based on emotionally mature conversations for where we are at (boundaries and expectations for a friendship).

Got plenty of time before traveling, looking into this now - especially with the Esri license expiring.

I'm a newbie when it comes to programming languages. How would you compare this to R? A friend started using R to support her own GIS thesis, which was the first language I was going to review when the license expires.

veen  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

R is not meant for GIS - it can handle some geo data in tables, but it is really no match for PG or ArcPy. R is much better for statistical analyses and one of my colleagues does most of his work in Excel or R because of it. He’s the only non-geo data scientist, though, and he doesn’t use R’s geo abilities because it’s not powerful enough.

PG can do a lot, especially if you’re clever at combining the rather-basic-but-incredibly-fast functions it offers. (And then there’s always QGIS.) ArcPy has a larger suite of functions, but only within the realm of things Esri wants you to do, so if you’re out there doing anything groundbreaking, you run into barriers more easily.

By the way - there’s an ArcGIS For Home license which gives you an Advanced ArcGIS license (including Pro) for $100/yr if you pinky promise to never use it commercially. I used it for my own experiments.

kantos  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  92 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 14, 2018

So far none of yet, I'm narrowing down to Chelyabinsk's event at the moment from the astronomy side to get a clear picture on what I expect to see from the GIS side when viewing the existing paper's plots. My paper itself is still in the works, and I'm getting a couple opinions from some astronomy professors on how the different models of the energy emitted inform the break-up of the meteor.

Hoping to get enough material to make a plot to overlay onto existing papers using simple buffering tools (also highlighting individual meteorite falls with markers) depending on what I find.

veen  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you're in the mood for learning a new skill, I highly recommend picking up PostGIS and SQL. It's a bit of a steep learning curve but it is an immense timesaver in any big league GIS work. Did a two day course myself and managed to write the Python/Arcpy model from my thesis in PG that ran in seconds, not hours.

kantos  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 14, 2018

On mobile all day, so no graphs at the moment, but I have links!

I'm looking at recorded events like Chelyabinsk and Tunguska in terms of the mapping of their area hit (or in gaming terms: area of effect). I'm looking to scrutinize the accuracy of the plotted areas on maps across a minimum of 3 models of how meteors fracture in our atmosphere upon entry. The plan is to validate said mapping techniques against newer models (I found couple fresh models produced last year and this year that I'm pumped to cross-reference).

My asteroids professor gave me a couple huge leads on who's research to dig into for the project. Other than that, I'm lucky to have found an amazing guidance counselor in my college.

veen  ·  95 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sounds awesome! What kind of model have you build? Do you put satellite imagery to CV models? Curious as to what kind of GIS tools you use to accomplish something like that.

kantos  ·  92 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

Present

One month and one day from this post, I'll have walked in my graduation ceremony. And damn, its a long way away from this post.

To that end, the advice I followed has me headed to class to learn more about what cometary dust tells us about the formation of our solar system. After which, I'm heading to a workshop on how I can best review the GIS modeling techniques of previous airburst/bolide (meteor hit) events for my capstone project.

Suffice to say, shit's kinda lit. Knowing I actually have less than 4 weeks since graduation happens after classes end is a nice reminder to plan backwards.

Post-Graduation

Heading to Cuba for a stint mid-January, then I'm off to Birthright in February. I want to lock in the farm to extend my stay there over this weekend.

Relationshit

I think I need to find other mediums alongside do another overhaul on my current dating platforms. 'Cuz this shit ain't happening. I've reaffirmed my standards are high in terms of emotional intelligence I'm looking for, so that may be a part of the latter...

On that note, I have been connecting with someone who is not available in terms of dating and that's ok. Someone recently shared a couple key points:

1) There is (socializing) stuff anyone has to do before dating is on the table. When you get to that crossroad, then you can start talking about whether dating is something two parties are open to.

2) As such, there is no pressure with this person. Have fun, see it as practice for the former and enjoy what I cultivate with them.

3) Networking isn't just a business term. Perhaps this person can point me in the direction of what I'm looking for.

Early Year in Review

I met so many goals I set for myself.

☑️ Job

☑️ Car

☑️ Gaming

☑️ Running

___ Graduate (PENDING)

The only couple glaring ones were fitness goals (absurd amounts of pull ups), and relationships (WIP). I found I could define the past few semesters by [failed] relationships. Each one had be get a little bit closer to what I'm looking for, alongside coming to understand redflags for me. And yet, my biggest take away there is the community I have around me to catch me when I fall. What I've learned from them on dating, how they've enabled me to work through getting 'unstuck,' and moving on to find/attract a more wholesome partner.

God I fucking love sub-titles.

OftenBen  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·

Great stuff!

Anything more you'd want to share on this? Sounds super interesting! Do you have a faculty adviser or mentor?

kantos  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·

On mobile all day, so no graphs at the moment, but I have links!

veen  ·  95 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  92 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: So... Posts I've deleted aren't coming back, right?

Thank you so much!

EDIT: Found it, undeleted, and surprised I didn't edit out the text. Much appreciated Devac!

Devac  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·

Glad I could help.

kantos  ·  100 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: So... Posts I've deleted aren't coming back, right?

I'm certain it didn't get badged. I think I folded before it got 24 hours on the site. I've been combing through my own posts and tags it could have been under. This comment reminded me it was under #depression, and I ain't finding it there. I was fairly confident it wasn't posted under the old account, but if I didn't find the option to 'un-delete' along the way, I may have to dust off the old thing. Thanks for the memory jog. Ay-Nawn is getting some brief fresh air.

user-inactivated  ·  100 days ago  ·  link  ·

Forgot how to log out of Hubski for a minute. Can't find it on here either, but turns out I passed the 1000 day mark. Woot!

kantos  ·  104 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 7, 2018

Looks like there are machine recounts for FL Senator. I'd like to think its the same for Gov, but not expecting a a delta of 50k votes to flop the other way. Seems like next to none of my dogs won the race, but hey, we banned actual dog racing. Weirdly all the amendments got voted in.

My understanding is re-districting this time around still favors red for FL. Going to run back through the list of good things to come out of this midterm. Also going to review which states are going to have similar climates in the coming decades.

kantos  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: As Counties Place Polls In Gated Communities, Florida Voters Are Left Out

Annoying as shit since Broward's usually a blue hub. Watching DeSantis taking the polls in real time. :I

kantos  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Democracy Participation Th{ubski}read

nowaypablo  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·

Amazing

kantos  ·  118 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 24, 2018

Bad brain day (borrowing some OB terms) after an intense weekend. Bright side is I'm meeting up with some good guys to lay it to rest tonight.

OftenBen  ·  118 days ago  ·  link  ·

We all gonna make it.

Good for recognizing it for what it is.

The beautiful thing about being human is that you get another shot at it tomorrow, with no obligations to follow the same patterns as yesterday.

lil  ·  117 days ago  ·  link  ·

sweet. And here it is a brand new day.