kantos's comments

Lightening the load on the Air Force is nice and all, though we've had someone advocating for a cyberspace force in terms of spin-offs from the Air Force a while longer. And it's not like the Air Force Association hasn't been hinting at it for years.

Whereas this same proposal from last year was shot down by Trump himself. Even USAF's Secretary wasn't so hot on the idea of more hoops to jump through:

In a statement sent to SpaceNews, Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson said the service is taking steps to bolster space operations.

“I could not agree more that now is the time to address the threats our nation faces in space, which is why the Air Force has proposed a 20 percent increase in space funding in this year’s budget, and announced last week a reorganization that integrates, elevates and normalizes space,” the secretary said.

kantos  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Can we talk about Super Smash Bros Ultimate?

Oh boy, you're in for a treat :D I recommend finding other Smashers or getting an extra controller or two if you're up for multiplayer. Lugging an old CRT at my place to support my gamecube, need to get another controller for the road.

Yup! He's a funny character to play with friends. His grab/throws can be troll in terms of dive bombing with enemy in hand off the stage.... always gets a smile tho.

We's specifically set up tournaments with the original N64 Smash Bros. We did this weekly for several months.

Well shit, only tourneys I've heard have been Melee.

Not a fan of Falcon?

The pro switch controller looks to have essentially the same layout, granted the PS/Xbox style button pads. Is that what you've been using instead of the sticks thus far?

kantos  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Can we talk about Super Smash Bros Ultimate?

Honestly I'm just excited to own a Smash Bros game for the first time! Switch is the first Nintendo I've ever had.

Cheers, the titles thus far make it sound like Switch is what Nintendo's been waiting for to bust out great games all at once - Breath of the Wild to start and SSB Ultimate + 'the' Mario Party on the way (expecting them to be big, at least).

Aww yiss. Looking forward to seeing how Ultimate matches up to Melee. The fact that the Gamecube controllers will be compatible still feels like nostalgia factoring into - though I'd love to attribute it to Melee being a great game overall. Rather than the later controllers being a tad less intuitive. 4 Man brawls are a good time, I have similar memories with my brothers. Heh.

The Jigglypuff has her sleep/rest for down B attack; Kirby turns to stone. ;D

KapteinB  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Damn, you're right! I've got the two mixed up. I think it was Kirby I played the most. He could eat his enemies to gain their powers, right?

kantos  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I bought a switch this year - but I've never owned a Nintendo system outside of Gameboys so this will be my first Smash experience but damn I'm excited for it.

kantos  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

'Sup pubski. I'll take water.

Relationships

I said (half) my piece to the lady friend. Took her better part of the week to get back to me, requesting a meet up or phone call. Was supposed to meet up today, but she wanted to reschedule. I opted for in-person again. Curious what she has to say, since I didn't expect to hear back from her in the first place.

Edit: Been making plans with other peeps to get back into the groove of reaching out to people... Rather than resorting to meeting up with her as I was for the past few months. Considering some peer groups as other outlets.

School

Smooth sailing this summer. Expecting Fall -> graduation to be the same. Looking for living spaces for that last couple months of school. Slacking on the ever looming job search (for something full-time) lately wanting to find the latitude to make my trip across the pond indefinite.

Edit 2: Traded my ol' tablet to my roommate for his ol' kindle. Really fucking like this mode of reading. Ate up a couple books over the past month or so. Feels nice. Will be able to contribute to the book reading thread now.

kantos  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Aski Hubski: Botox

Can't wait 'til I get some lines on my face so my beard doesn't pin me as a frat bro.

Sounds weird, but does mourning getting older sound appropriate here if you are looking to accept "It's over?" I mean, you are in the business of longevity.

kantos  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: FCC's rules on Net Neutrality are donezo as of today.

Updated title as per your comment. Thanks for the clarification.

kantos  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club no. 34 (??): The Red One

Thanks for the heads up!

kantos  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 6, 2018

My best reasoning at this point is this is an opportunity to test out finding a middle ground in this all. Where I can still enjoy my new friend in a way that doesn't look like she was out of my life from the start. Latter sentence doesn't exactly sound right to me, but I don't know how else to put it atm.

kantos  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 6, 2018

Is that a real possibility?

I have examples of past relationships where we have mutual attraction we don't act on. For my own reasons, part of me decided to turn this dynamic into an all-or-nothing situation to replicate how some of them went wrong. It took me this long (and some kind people reminding me) to see these dynamics are going to happen throughout life.

Would you be able to enjoy it?

I have a feeling if I set those boundaries right, and stick to them, there's no reason why I can't choose to enjoy our time.

I fall out with people who didn't reciprocate my appreciation of their company.

FOR THIS EXACT REASON, I think I can make the former work out. The moment I knew she was back with her ex, I began to find arguments for how I wasn't being appreciated. When, in reality, I've kinda been dead fucking wrong. I helped her move, and she offered her services as a masseuse as payment. It's not uncommon for one to pay for the other when we don't split bills. etc.

It's kinda rough to get out of my head on this, but the fact I can see the other side of this gives me hope I can do this right.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Then by all means, be your best self. Let us know how it works out. Best of luck.

kantos  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 6, 2018

So, my lady friend got back together with an ex. Before I knew, I came around to express my feelings to her in attempts to move forward romantically. Clearly, they weren't as mutual as I led myself to believe. So, I set a shitty boundary for myself of "I don't want to be providing emotional support for her, when that's what she's seeking from her boyfriend. So, I will exit this relationship save from spaces we both already coexist in."

Which, in and of itself isn't too shitty, imo. The part that bothered me is how this was more an excuse to effectively cut her out of my life despite enjoying the time we spend together. That is something I'd like to do to fully avoid the issue, but what this boils down to is:

1) Do I want to give myself both the space and time to grieve the reality of the situation before moving forward with our friendship.

Or

2) Do I want to give myself just time to grieve the reality of the situation while moving forward with our friendship.

And what that would mean is getting a bit clearer with how I'm willing to show up with her (e.g. reciprocative processing shit around families, working out, finding past times in the city) and not (e.g. not willing to be her go to if/when there are troubles in her current relationship, not third wheeling, etc.)

Tl;dr realizing I can choose to enjoy the friendship I have with her. Plus, I don't want to let the fact that I didn't get what I want to get in the way of having a dank friend - is what I'm sorta coming to terms with.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

before moving forward with our friendship.

Is that a real possibility? Would you be able to enjoy it?

I know I can't. I fall out with people who didn't reciprocate my appreciation of their company. It's difficult for me to process, because it hits hard. Both time and space are necessary.

Figure this part out.

kantos  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is that a real possibility?

Would you be able to enjoy it?

I fall out with people who didn't reciprocate my appreciation of their company.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

AnSionnachRua  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well that sucks, dude. It's a tough predicament, too, being friends with someone like that. Sometimes it can work after a bit of time, sometimes you just need to walk away. A tough call.

kantos  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: PSA: The hubwheel is not a "like" button.

Of course, that's what the community tag is for after all [imo].

kantos  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Moments

"Why aren't you eating?"

Swallow the food, not the emotion.

"I can't, I'm nervous around you..."

Swallow the food, not the emotion.

"I'm back to where I was before the break up with him...."

Oh.
---

".... But we can continue building a solid friendship despite the attraction..."

What does 'back before the break up' mean? Were the last 4 months not building upon a friendship?
---

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know. My husband encouraged me to tell you: She referenced him as her boyfriend of [how long since the beginning]."

Huh.
---

Was I being used as an emotional crutch? But I had acted out of good faith under the information I had. I think.

How am I going to define my relationship with her in this dynamic...

Do I want one?

Sorry, this comment is private.