johnnyFive's comments
johnnyFive  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Software Disenchantment

I think he overstates a lot, except when it comes to web apps. Those have gotten bananas. I'm helping someone do a web site right now...dude is a web developer by trade, and I'm secretly appalled at how big this site is. Angular + all the JS add-ons. I've found bootstrap to be helpful all of twice. I'm glad I'm just vaguely helping in the background.

But the most important thing he overstates is that it is unnecessarily hard to do what he's talking about. I tried writing a basic console program in Rust, and it was a horrible experience. The reason people use Electron is because it does what the documentation says it will. I shouldn't have to create bug reports because parts of a language's core library literally do not do what they are there to do. (Yet I did just that with Go yesterday.) So at some point, people need to quit their bitching and actually write things like "decent documentation" and "libraries that do what they're supposed to."

blackbootz  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I'm only vaguely aware of what goes into web development and programming, so it's hard for me to judge what he says. But I would venture that "lean" web development or programming is harder, not easier. Twain's If I had more time I would have written a shorter letter principle applies.

I shared the piece because nothing kicks up a conversation quite like someone passionately, cantankerously making a point.

bfv  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Web software is the way it is because every browser works a little differently and only very large organizations or very dedicated developers are willing to test thoroughly in all versions of all browsers users are likely to still be using. Everyone else either uses a library or says "IE? Here's a nickel." The libraries are bloated because they try to turn the tangled mess of standards and browsers that implement them badly into something simple enough to be worth bothering to do interesting things with, and that takes a lot of duct tape, bailing wire, chewing gum and plaster.

blackbootz  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I'm astonished by how timeless some Dilbert strips are.

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump orders DOJ to declassify Russia investigation documents

Hopefully that's so in the case of younger people, as it's going to take a broad cultural shift.

I don't see it as a plan, it's just a steady case of people trying to one-up each other in promising too much and blaming the other side when it doesn't work.

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Happens To Brett Kavanaugh’s Nomination Now?

The thing is, there are much greater reasons not to confirm this guy (such as the perjury).

But this does raise some bigger questions about forgiveness, and how long something like this should be disqualifying. There are a host of other factors, such as to what extent the story's credible, to what extent he takes responsibility if it's true, that kind of thing. But unfortunately these aren't things we're capable of talking about as a country right now, so it's back to whoever can partisan the whole thing more effectively.

My thoughts went down similar lines. No matter what DOJ does or doesn't do, it'll be plenty more ammunition for partisans of both sides.

I heard a story on the radio earlier today from some people involved in election infrastructure. One of them said that his worry wasn't the technological side or even the idea of foreign interference, it was Americans' complete inability to talk about anything political without falling into partisan ruts.

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think a lot of people, young folks in particular, have become pretty disgusted with the way political "discourse" has unraveled steadily over the last few decades, and especially how terrible people treat each other on the internet. It sounds pretty conspiratorial, but it makes me wonder whether the extreme political polarization is something that wealthy elites have actively tried to promote in an effort to turn people off of politics completely. According to wikipedia, though, we've just kinda flatlined at ~55% voter turnout over the last century. I think there's an (admittedly inconclusive) argument to be made that if more and more people are radically opposed to the other party, then a similarly sized segment of people must be getting turned off to politics altogether to maintain a stagnant voter turnout rate. I'm surprised that psychologists haven't linked people who attempt to keep up with the news (on either side) to higher rates of depression, mania, etc., but I'd probably only trust a case study of like N=10,000-ish anyway.

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 296th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

You bet!

BASS

Some of the horrorsynth that I listen to would be good for that, e.g. this from Dance With the Dead or this album by Carpenter Brut.

Some good bass-heavy examples from elsewhere (mostly industrial, and some of this you may have heard before):

- Combichrist - get your body beat

- Combichrist - What the fuck is wrong with you?

:wumpscut: is great for this kind of sound.

- wreath of barbs

- thorns

- bunkertor 7

- hang him higher

- golgotha (this was the song that got me hooked on him)

- capital punishment (this one has a build up, but is worth it...can't think of anything else that makes me want to bounce off the walls quite as much)

instrumental, super delicate and folksy stuff

- lilium - sleep inside (and really the whole album).

OftenBen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's a fun list. Very seasonal too, thanks!

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

You bet!

I've been going through the archives a bit, so not sure any of this is new.

Bonus: Saul Williams' NPR Tiny Desk Concert:

In terms of sheer intensity, Saul Williams' Tiny Desk concert may be the most potent in our eight-year history.

I'm your huckleberry.

What are you in the mood for?

OftenBen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bi-moodal tbh.

BASS

But also like, maybe some instrumental, super delicate and folksy stuff? Fall, walking in leaves music?

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

BASS

- Combichrist - get your body beat

- Combichrist - What the fuck is wrong with you?

:wumpscut: is great for this kind of sound.

- wreath of barbs

- thorns

- bunkertor 7

- hang him higher

- golgotha (this was the song that got me hooked on him)

instrumental, super delicate and folksy stuff

- lilium - sleep inside (and really the whole album).

OftenBen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's a fun list. Very seasonal too, thanks!

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

You bet!

johnnyFive  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club: general discussion

I'm excited for you! Dune is my favorite fiction book of all time.

Sorry, this comment is private.
johnnyFive  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Can Mark Zuckerberg Fix Facebook Before It Breaks Democracy?

That this is how the question is being framed is why we're fucked.

johnnyFive  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Scientists Say They've Found The Driver of False Beliefs (N=500)

This seems like an elaborate way to state the really obvious, and doesn't really do much IMO to get at the specific question they're trying to answer. People learn from feedback...I mean, duh. But the issue is why we value one source of feedback versus another, which this study doesn't seem to address at all. I also think the focus on the most recent feedback is misleading in this case. If people guessed wrong about a shape a bunch, but if as they adjusted they started consistently getting it right, why wouldn't they base their definition of this made-up word on the ones they got right? I don't understand why this is surprising, or why it has anything to do with the bigger issue they're attempting to study.

johnnyFive  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Steven Pinker—Certified Grief Counselor

As someone with some background in history, it annoys me to no end how everyone seems to think it's an easy thing to understand and write about.

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Twitter permanently bans Alex Jones and Infowars

It's a fair enough question, but I don't know as it's really answerable.

tacocat  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

I could go either way. That was hyperbole earlier. It might be a good discussion question

johnnyFive  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Twitter permanently bans Alex Jones and Infowars

There are times when I'd agree with you. But I think it's better said that it's simply a tool, and like any tool, it can be used for good or ill. As it's become easier to use and more pervasive, this makes it much easier to take for granted. Now we're getting the wake-up calls, and the slow reduction in Facebook usage is reason for hope.

tacocat  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm honestly pretty curious whether the problems it's solved outweigh the problems it's created

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's a fair enough question, but I don't know as it's really answerable.

tacocat  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·