johnnyFive's comments
johnnyFive  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 22, 2019

A little late to the party, but I've been feeling singularly unmotivated lately. It's a case of just not having motivation, not any sense of futility or doom. Progress?

I came down with a cold almost two weeks ago. I was mostly over it by the end of the week, although poor sleep (for reasons unknown) was not helpful. Then my brother got married last weekend, which was awesome. Everything went well overall, although my brother broke his foot about a week before the ceremony (he was super drunk, celebrating the end of finals, and doesn't know what he did.) The cane went pretty well with the aesthetic (they got married in the back garden of the Edgar Allen Poe Museum, after all). I was his best man, and i'm still kind of awe-struck at him asking me. I'm not a particularly open or affectionate person, but he's much people-oriented than I am. Little things he's said over the years have made me think that my opinion of him is something he cares about a great deal, and I have a hard time knowing what to do with that. (Granted, that's true of all praise I encounter, but still.)

The downside to the weekend was a couple nights of even less sleep, which meant by Monday I was feeling gross again. I'm still not fully over it, and the holdouts have decided to make their last stand in my lungs. That's usually how it goes; at least I didn't get bronchitis this time. (Ever since I got full-on pneumonia back around late 2009 my lungs have seemed to be the place that germs like the most.)

That's really about it. The three-day weekend will be nice, even if patriotic holidays always make me vaguely uncomfortable. I've gotten my wife hardcore hooked on Stardew Valley, and we've been playing it co-op most nights. She's talking about buying the Android port so she can play it on her Kindle at work. Admittedly I've thought about getting it for iOS or Switch...will likely do the latter because I know if I put it on my iPad, which I take to the office, I would never get anything done.

Not personally, but Kitboga is great fun to watch.

johnnyFive  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club: general discussion

I do too. Thankfully the series isn't over yet: unlike with GoT, the books come out regularly, and are way ahead of the TV show. I think the series has covered maybe the first 3 books at most, while they published book #8 a couple months ago.

johnnyFive  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club: general discussion

I recently finished The Expanse, both the TV show (of which there are 3 seasons currently) and the most recent book. Both have continued to be excellent.

One of these days I'd love to take like a week off work for the sole purpose of figuring out The Book of the New Sun. But I don't think that's especially realistic, at least not for the moment.

I'm currently reading We Are Legion (We Are Bob), which is a good summertime read. It's fun, has some neat ideas, but isn't trying to be dense or brain-hurting. The premise is that a guy signs up for one of those services that freeze you after you die in the hopes that you can be revived with later technology. He is, but is brought back as a purely computerized entity, and then is put on a probe and told to explore space. It's generally grounded, problem-solving focused without too much hand-waiving of technology and the like. The main character is a bit of a Marty Stu, at least for your stereotypical nerd, but he's not so far into cliche that he's obnoxious (and the pop culture references are kept to a minimum, thankfully). I'm definitely enjoying it.

francopoli  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Bobverse is great. New book is due this year!

Foveaux  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was working my way through the Expanse as well, but at some point I got distracted somewhere in Cibola Burn and haven't gotten back into it. I can't recall what it was that made me stop but I should really get back into it. My partner and I blew through the TV Show and were itching for more so I picked up the books thus far.

OftenBen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Expanse both books and series scratched a deep itch I've had since the second I finished The Martian. I really hope those showrunners and the writing team that adapted the series get some good source material for their next production because they captured that setting pretty damn well.

johnnyFive  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

goobster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I love The Expanse, but my wife can't track the complex story and the audio is so poorly mixed she's asking me "what did he say?" after every sentence.

And I only watch TV with my wife.

Man, I miss The Expanse...

johnnyFive  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: First Ever Images of a Black Hole

Given the time dilation, make sure they give you the interest rate per millisecond.

johnnyFive  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 327th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I bought me some music off of BandCamp yesterday, mainly synthwave.

* New Model and Dangerous Days by PERTURBATOR (the latter has NSFW-ish cover art)

* Mega Drive by Mega Drive

Also some not-synthwave:

* Requiem for Hell and Rays of Darkness by MONO

johnnyFive  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Redacted Mueller Report has been Released

Apparently you have to prove intent to commit a crime in a conspiracy(?) charge and the Trump tower meeting with Don Jr is incredibly suspicious but he's too dumb to prove he was malicious. I don't know. That's me recalling an NPR story I probably wasn't even paying attention to

Pretty much. "Conspiracy" in the legal sense requires there to be an underlying crime; you can't conspire to do something that isn't illegal. The report then goes on to say why Mueller wasn't confident that they could prove all the elements of the underlying foreign-interference crime, and your summary of that is basically right as well. The statute in question requires a "knowing and willful" violation, meaning those involved would've had to have known that it was illegal. Not just that, of course, but prosecutors would have to prove that they knew, and that's pretty difficult.

am_Unition  ·  35 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think 'bl00 has said it before, but this really is the Hanlon's Razor presidency.

Yeah, there's a subreddit for that too. I'll admit to hoping that he'd find something overwhelming that the Republicans in the Senate would have no choice but to accept, but I always knew it was forlorn.

The thing is, nothing in here tells us anything about Trump we didn't already know. Mueller was not on a crusade, and he did what he is supposed to do. I question the DOJ's position that they cannot bring charges against a sitting president, but that was decided back in 2000 (under W) and isn't up to Mueller to decide. So he was careful to stay within the bounds of what he is legally allowed to do, although I think it comes through pretty clearly that he thinks Trump obstructed justice.

But to me, the left's hope in Mueller as somehow causing a great deal of change was always going to be misplaced. No one who supports Trump was going to be convinced no matter what Mueller said, whereas no one else was waiting on Mueller to conclude that Trump had colluded with the Russians. Mueller showed clearly that there was collusion in the common use of the term, but there's enough wiggle room here for any Trump supporters to justify saying that the whole thing was a political ploy.

As for what we do? Keep calm and carry on. Vote. Try to not be terrible to each other. Avoid pretending that we have more influence over broader events than we do.

tacocat  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·

There's a whole cottage industry on Twitter of idiots who thought Mueller was some savior.

I was probably one of them until I realized the Republicans were going to hold the senate. You're absolutely right though. Just wish I thought Trump losing is a foregone conclusion.

johnnyFive  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Redacted Mueller Report has been Released
johnnyFive  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 17, 2019

I can relate to your second-to-last paragraph a great deal. It's something I've struggled with a lot. I can't help but think about what I could be doing if i'd been put on meds back in elementary school. Of course, it may not have made a damn bit of difference. One of my big revelations over the last couple days is actually how little treatment has changed me. And also how grand my expectations were for myself, which is taking some re-adjusting. I think the Internet fucks up our perspective, in that we lose ourselves in the crowd, and can often fail to see the little successes and positive ripples we send out.

I don't mean you should be happy with less, necessarily, and that's the part I'm still trying to deal with: how to be more realistic without feeling like I'm settling or giving up.

johnnyFive  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Star Wars: Episode IX – Teaser

johnnyFive  ·  43 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Prospiracy Theories

There was actually a post on the SlateStarCodex subreddit linking to /r/forwardsfromgrandma where someone had posted the Obama one without realizing it was satire.

johnnyFive  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Brexit: What's the f**k is going on?

Seems about right (and a great deal of that applies to the U.S. too).

Glad to see that satirical news at least is functioning well over there.

johnnyFive  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Do we actually own the games we buy?

I think those are all good points, although the way copyright law works with this stuff (at least in the U.S.) is a tad more nuanced. But your underlying statements stand.

Tangential example of the technology change thing. We have gobs of pictures and videos of my daughter from over the years. What's the best way to back them up? Obviously off-site is key, for one, so that we don't lose everything should e.g. a fire happen. But changing formats and what-not has been a concern. Admittedly, image encoding has remained pretty stable over the years. My original plan was to use M-DISC blu-rays, and put them in my safe deposit box. But I'd have to (1) trust the maker's claims about their longevity, and (2) put the portable burner I'd have to buy in there with them and hope that they're still usable down the road. My current plan is to use Amazon Glacier and just put everything in an encrypted file container. Some of the same risks are involved, but I'm hoping they're lessened that way.

applewood  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh, I'll readily admit that I'm painting in pretty broad strokes. Each of those paragraphs could stand to be a whole, in depth conversation.

As for archiving stuff digitally, whether they're along the lines of family heirlooms or more "official" stuff like legal records for businesses and such, I remember reading an article years and years ago about people wringing their hands and pulling their hair trying to figure out the way to back stuff up. There were all of these issues of not only competing types of media, but competing file formats, codecs, software, and operating systems and the whole struggle of trying to figure out what to do with ever changing formats, dying formats, and incompatibility. I think finally, we're we'll pass that in so many ways. Partly because standards have condensed, for instance digital cameras mostly use SD cards these days, instead of SD versus xD, versus Pro Duo, versus Compact Flash, but also because so many different programs can read more than one type of file and one type of file can be opened by so many different programs. Not only that, but even compare to a decade ago, storage space is so cheap today. That was the hard stuff, and now that's out of the way, like you're saying, more practical concerns like file quality, bit rot, and ease of access are really what we mostly have to be concerned with tackling.

Edit: Speaking of backing stuff up, I heard a member of this organization give an interview on the radio one time and while I think what they're doing isn't all that practical, listening to him talk was interesting because intentionally or not, his ideas and his projects were very philosophical in terms of why we desire so step fly to preserve knowledge and the lengths we're willing to go to do it.