johnnyFive's comments
johnnyFive  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Suicide Increasing Among American Workers

Some fun facts:

- the rate has been increasing steadily, up 30% since 1999

- 77% of suicide deaths are men (and the ratio is higher in every country in the world except for China)

- The rate for white and Native American men is double that of black or Hispanic men

johnnyFive  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 7, 2018

Hit me up if you need help figuring out where to live, or just stuff to do.

johnnyFive  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 7, 2018

No shit? I live in Richmond.

_refugee_  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hell yeas!

johnnyFive  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hit me up if you need help figuring out where to live, or just stuff to do.

johnnyFive  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 7, 2018

But now my upper back is all stressy.

I would go ahead and get it checked out now. Because if it gets worse in 6 months, you're not going to be able to prove a causal connection unless there's something documented now.

Where in VA will you be?

_refugee_  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Richmond area! I see in the voting thread you mention Spanberger. I’m glad she won! A colleague from Richmond had turned me on to Spanberger a few weeks ago.

I’m glad to see VA turn more blue.

johnnyFive  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

No shit? I live in Richmond.

_refugee_  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hell yeas!

johnnyFive  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hit me up if you need help figuring out where to live, or just stuff to do.

johnnyFive  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Democracy Participation Th{ubski}read

My wife and I did the vote thing this morning before work.

Our Senate race wasn't especially close. But our House race? Currently Abigail Spanberger is up by about 0.6%. It's like 1,900 votes. So I expect there'll be a recount.

It's kind of appalling that Dave Brat did so well. Even other Republicans hate this guy. He's done like one town hall during his entire time in office, and only did so because he was shamed into it (at least in part by conservative media). And of course he held it in Blackstone, which is about the booniest part of his district. My hope though is that Spanberger's lead holds.

Also, how about Wisconsin? It's too soon to say, but as of this writing, WaPo has the Democratic challenger to Scott Walker up by 0.1% with about 77% of precincts reporting. Even if Walker eventually wins, this was closer than I expected. I'm also hopeful that Maine gets rid of Shawn Moody.

Morning update: Super psyched that Dave Brat lost. I guess all those women really were up in his grill. Almost as psyched that Scott Walker lost too.

Brief correction: the guy in Maine, Shawn Moody, wasn't the terrible one. The terrible one was term limited out.

johnnyFive  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Any of y'all still play Stellaris?

I find that the hardest part is balancing expansion. In general, expansion is good, but there are some mechanics that make this require some pause. The more planets and systems you control, the longer it takes to get tech and unity perks. That said, as a general rule I err on the side of expanding, since eventually the map will fill up. Meanwhile, military expansion should be gradual but constant: you don't want to have to try coming from behind, and the stronger you are the less likely your neighbors are to mess with you.

johnnyFive  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Large Majorities Dislike Political Correctness - The Atlantic

I've been having that internal debate a lot lately. I feel like it probably starts as cynicism and then just sort of becomes the person after awhile.

johnnyFive  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My First Reading of Dune

Excellent. I love this series, so will talk about it for days. But I'll try to wait 'til you're farther along :)

johnnyFive  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Any of y'all still play Stellaris?

That is definitely a thing that happens. I'm not sure to what extent it's like Civ, but I do think that you have to keep your military beefed up to avoid some AI aggression. Others are just born that way (e.g. a fanatic purifier), and I've found diplomacy to be a much bigger necessity than in other 4x games.

OftenBen  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

Any good early game tips to share?

johnnyFive  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

It seems to be very dependent on how the early game goes. I'm also a weird case, in that I usually need to do something else while playing a game by default (woo ADHD), so some mid-game drag doesn't actually feel different to me.

Wow, that is horrifying.

tacocat  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

And I honestly can't tell if she's too stupid to know why that's awful or cynical and awful enough to do it anyway

johnnyFive  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

That was a more general thing about the whole idea of being "anti-PC" or whatever. So my comment to you more specifically was to question why it's okay to use a term that many would regard as offensive for little gain, at least that I can see.

OftenBen  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm still waiting to hear an alternative.

I won't spoil Dune Messiah (which I hope you're starting soon if you haven't already!), but I'll just say the answer can best be described as "yes and no."

Merlin  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

I plan on picking up the rest of the series this weekend!

johnnyFive  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My First Reading of Dune

That's great, and Dune remains my favorite fictional work of all time. I really like all 5 of the series (which is all that has ever been written), even if 3-5 take place so far in the future of the universe that they're almost not sequels.

Merlin  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·

From what I understand there are myths about other books but they should not be sought out or spoken of. Sometimes, epic time jumps are what makes a series. I'm excited to see where it goes! The ending of Dune has me thinking Maud'Dib has embraced the Jihad he foresaw.

johnnyFive  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

Merlin  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

I plan on picking up the rest of the series this weekend!

johnnyFive  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It's Decorative Gourd Season, Motherfuckers

<3 mcsweeney's