goobster's comments
goobster  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, has died

Shooting that scene was an absolute nightmare for the director. Because Aretha never sang a song the same way twice. She was always riffing on the words, and structure, and playing with it.

But they needed her to do it the same way several times in a row, to get the multiple camera angles and shots they needed to make the scene work.

The director, John Landis, would get a shot, and set up for another angle, and then tell her to do it the same way, and she couldn't remember what she'd done in the previous scene. She just sang every song honestly, heart-felt, and completely in the moment. And then later on, when asked to reproduce the same thing, she was at a total loss because she was no longer in THAT moment.

She was a wonderful artist.

Side note:

Back in the 1980's I was in a band with some famous people. We were going into the recording studio, and there was a chance that Aretha was going to come and guest on one of our songs! She was supposed to be in San Francisco (where I lived) for a show, but this was during the era where she was afraid to fly. Unfortunately, the logistics of getting her from NYC to SF for a show was just too much, and her appearance was cancelled.

So we didn't get to record with her.

And since we were kinda nobodys, and it was the mystique of Aretha that got us on the schedule in the recording studio, our time was bumped and given to someone who could pay more for it.

So that band never committed anything to tape. :-(

goobster  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Random opinions about alcohol

Bill Cosby used to have a bit in his stage act, where he demonstrated the different kinds of drunks... they way they walk, the way they hold their glass, the way they talk... it was from the late 1960's or early 1970's.

Fuckin' hilarious.

But Cosby is a Bad Man now, so we can't laugh at his work any more.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

He was always a bad man and it's a disturbing thought to think of him joking about drinks....

goobster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Facebook Dating Is On the Way With Five Gender Choices

So he is, literally, Rajesh Kuthrapali from Big Bang Theory?

I made fun of a teenager for using Facebook the other day.

Or maybe she was in her 20's.

Can't tell from this far away. Anyone between about 13 and 35 is the same age, as far as I'm concerned.

goobster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Burning Man 2018: Who's Going?

Ah. So YOU are the ones at 8:00.

My friends are Black Rock Hardware, and for the first time ever, they aren't at 8:00 and Rod's Road. They are over on the 3:00 side of Center Camp.

JackTheBandit  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

We wanted be 6:00 sector, but not on Rod's Road. Placement decided we stayed on Rods Road, lol

You can also just email gentle@burningman.com. She's a friend of mine, and is the Volunteer Coordinator. Tell her Bucky sent you.

goobster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 15, 2018

My life continues to be full of weird and wonderful.

On a whim yesterday, my high school girlfriend and I met yesterday afternoon for the first time in 32 years.

I also wound up with the Major League Rugby trophy in the trunk of my car, when I discovered it had been misplaced/forgotten.

I'm working with a group to design a half time show for an upcoming NFL game.

I'm interviewing for new jobs, while my current company works diligently to make a role/career path/payscale that will keep me here.

My kitchen remodel is done. And it both looks and works great.

And I've started writing again. This time, an adaptation of Earth Abides. Sheesh... won't I ever learn?!?

Sooooo... how U doin'?

goobster  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Burning Man 2018: Who's Going?

Maybe I'll do something like this someday too...

Remember, this is about participation... a do-ocracy...

All you need to do is make the space, and invite the do-ers to do their thing.

It's kinda amazing what happens when you invite 6 people to come over, have some wine and snacks, and then you present your Big Idea to them.

That's how Maker Faire started. That's how Figment started. That's how every theme camp you've ever heard of, started.

One person got some friends together, and infected them with an idea.

"Maybe I'll do this someday..." is the wrong headspace. "I'm gonna invite X, Y, and Z over, and tell them about my half-baked idea, and show them some web sites and photo galleries, and we're gonna..."

It may not materialize for 10 years. But it won't ever happen if you don't share the ideas with others. So why not do it now?

elizabeth  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Maybe i'll do this someday = I'm thinking about creating something of the sort.

I need at least a half-baked idea to start asking for cooking help. And then plan the bake sale. I'm all about making shit happen and I've been tackling smaller projects, helping out friends with their big idea.

Helped my friend Jerome feed 200 people at our regional this summer:

And the speakeasy experience we created with my friend has been a huge success too, it's given me confidence in my entertainment abilities :) We're #1 in our city right now!

I hear AirBNB is launching this new thing called "concerts" in our city in October. I'm not huge on music myself, but if my boyfriend wants to tackle the musical side of it I'll totally transform our basement into the coolest space ever.

But setting up something like Please don't tell in NYC, or that spooky cemetery event I mistakenly snuck into last year:

... that's some awesome shit to look up to and say "Maybe i'll do something of that magnitude someday"
BLOB_CASTLE  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wonder how similar the AirBnB concerts are to what HomeDitty is doing. I'm not a fan, because a host doesn't receive any payment from hosting. But it's certainly interesting.

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think they are looking for 2 things:

1. unique spaces (concerts on a boat, private rooftop, mongolian yurt have a great appeal)

2. cheap-ish to produce music so it's profitable even with a small audience. Minimal band members, accoustic, minimal props.

So a cool dude with an artsy loft, an acoustic guitar and a unique musical style can probably do pretty well from what I can gather.

A quick calculus of 10 people at 20$ (or 20 at 10$, whatever), 20% Airbnb fee: as an artist you just made 160$ for an hour of music. You can actually earn a LOT more, the question is wether the demand is there. The struggle is to actually set up that cool space, and get popular enough to get reliable bookings.

Basically, I feel it's worth trying out at the launch since we do have a lot of musician friends. Worst case, we just pimp out our basement as a cool party venue and come out even ?

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

haha I hear that, no mongolian yurt in my pocession in the near future

My basement is already fairly pimped out, friends have painted murals on the walls. We've hosted loads of concerts there already.

Are the concerts only beta in one city?

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I only know about Montreal - I know they launch a couple cities at a time so you should look into where it's at with your city. It might have launched already!

Go for it. It has a a high earning potential IMO, and it's really minimal effort to get started. It's just a matter of whether it's going to pick up or not.

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

will do, thanks for the heads up!

I'm so excited to see you at the Burn! I have...items...to share if you'd like :)

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Me too! See you at the Burn, and always glad to accept gifts on Playa ;)

I don't go to the Gerlach Regional anymore. I may again in the future (5 years out?), but don't have much interest in it right now.

I kinda did all the Burningman there is to do... I went to the original burns on the beach in SF and in the desert, then came back to the event after a decade away and camped alone on my motorcycle, camped with a theme camp, ran my own theme camp, worked in a service camp, and then was a Burningman employee with commissary, showers, paycheck, free ticket, and early arrival a full week before the event.

So, after something like 15+ years, I feel like I have participated with the event in all the ways I can, and it was getting "normal" for me. There weren't a lot of new experiences, so I felt like I wasn't being fully present in the event, and being a Participant. I had kinda become a Spectator.

My wife and I now go to Otherworld (the Victoria, BC regional), and then participate with local arts events that we and other Burners have created or curated.

Now, with Larry's passing, I think the event will grow/change/morph. I don't want to see the transition happen. I want to go back in 5 years, when the event has been reimagined in the spirit of the last 30 years, and see what it has become. Be a Newbie again. I'm excited for that opportunity!

But for now, I will stick with the local regionals. And revel in the joy of discovery that new burners experience! Their excitement gives me hope for the world.

elizabeth  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Damn, those Burner created projects look so awesome! Since our magical night winning the room at Ashram last year, and finding out about projects like secret cinema in London I've been thinking about those awesome immersive theatre projects people have created. Maybe I'll do something like this someday too...

goobster  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Maybe I'll do something like this someday too...

Remember, this is about participation... a do-ocracy...

All you need to do is make the space, and invite the do-ers to do their thing.

One person got some friends together, and infected them with an idea.

elizabeth  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Maybe i'll do this someday = I'm thinking about creating something of the sort.

Helped my friend Jerome feed 200 people at our regional this summer:

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think they are looking for 2 things:

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

haha I hear that, no mongolian yurt in my pocession in the near future

Are the concerts only beta in one city?

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

will do, thanks for the heads up!

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Me too! See you at the Burn, and always glad to accept gifts on Playa ;)

Fuck it. I'm doing this next time. Great idea. And my house is a great place to entertain a lot of people.

Shit dude haven't you been to them? I swear you were at a couple.

Sorry, this comment is private.
goobster  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 8, 2018

I know this is just an off-hand comment, but it's not right. There are a gajillion ways he could make money, and by no measure is any of his businesses profitable right now. So they are not Making Money... they may, at some point in the future, and that is the intent. But they aren't.

Anyone can make money. I think Musk is trying to make a Difference.

You've said it better than I ever could have.

Musk is trying to demonstrate that the entire valuation system for companies is broken.

WalMart is successful because they pay people less than a living wage, and the government picks up the slack.

The entire assets and future of Tesla is not now, and never will be, worth $420 a share. But the idea of Tesla? The goals of Tesla/Musk? I'll buy that shit at $1000 and be pleased as fucking punch to have a tiny a part in it.

I think Musk's whole idea is to destroy Wall Street and the rapacious culture of "profits over people", and force people to weigh the entire benefit/impact of a company and their products and culture, rather than solely basing value on quarterly earnings.

francopoli  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Musk's goal is to make enough money to feed his ego. If he breaks Wall street in the process, builds a viable space launch system, sends people to Mars to accomplish goal #1? I'll give him a small pass.

goobster  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Anyone can make money. I think Musk is trying to make a Difference.

Always happy to help a fellow supporter of nonprofit success! Feel free to message me.

goobster  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 8, 2018

Hi Hubs! I'm here... present... reading people's stories and the words written from their hearts.

Thanks for sharing and trusting us with your thoughts.

I'm all good. Things are completely amazing. As usual. I'm happy.