goobster's comments
goobster  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 20, 2018

Madeline Peyroux is the one that I've been in love with since I first saw her perform live in 1996:

Such a voice.

His recordings with Howard Levy were always my favorite.

And, of course, as a bass player, I love me some Victor Wooten.

Ranger training is AMAZING.

And the info you are looking for - to better help friends when a trip goes bad - is called "green dot". Or Green Dotting. Or Green Dot Ranger. You get the idea.

Congratulations on your first BM experience!! I hope it was amazing.

I'm heading to Canada in about 2 hours for Otherworld... the Victoria community's regional. It's my favorite, and I expect to be completely blissed out!

elizabeth  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, I've been reading through the green dot training for the past couple days and it's been super helpful. In retrospect I think I did well, the only thing that would have been better would have been being completely sober to be more grounded. But that was not something in my control at the time.

It wasn't my first BM event, but I think I've learned more from it than from the full week at black rock city last year. Or maybe it just seems that way since it's so fresh in my mind still...

Mose.

Such a damn legend.

cgod  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Almost everyone has a bad album, I've yet to find his.

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 20, 2018

Interviewing with an Interesting Company that is Doing Good Things.

Just signed the NDA, so can't say much more than that. Don't wanna jinx it, either.

But this role, project, and company would be amazing. Life-affirming. The kind of shit that makes you leap out of bed in the morning, excited to go to work.

---

In other news, my country is completely fucked.

We decided to stop outsourcing our terrorism-inspiring efforts in other countries, and bring it home, and grow our own terrorists here. And we are starting young, by taking children and giving them the second worst possible experience they could have, after experiencing the worst possible situation they caused them to flee into our brutal arms.

I'm just fucking embarrassed.

---

Oh yeah. Also got a stark view of my middle-aged straight white male privilege the other day.

At a gay bar. Gay dude hits on me (not an uncommon experience for me).

I just barely caught myself before I uttered the words, "Thanks dude, but I'm married."

In my head, I realized "I'm Married" = "I'm straight."

And I realized how fucked up that is.

... still processing that one ...

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 20, 2018

It was August 23, 1986 in Berkeley, California when I saw The Smiths on their "Queen is Dead" tour.

The opening act was Phranc, a self-proclaimed lesbian folk-singer, who walked out on stage alone, in front of a sellout Smiths crowd, with nothing more than a microphone and an acoustic guitar... and completely owned that crowd!!

By the end of her set, the entire crowd was on their feet, singing along with her! It was amazing. I've never seen an opening band do a an encore before.

(Oh. The Smiths show was brilliant, as well.)

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

You kinda need to know about late nineties Epitaph punk for these names to hold weight, but the headliner of that show was Voodoo Glow Skulls and the other band was Pulley. Pulley was way less popular than VGS so you could argue Pulley was the second opener and not co headliners. Voodoo Glow Skulls' tour bus broke down and couldn't make the show which was a bummer. Until Pulley did a double set, got the crowd pumped by kicking ass and made up for the missing bigger act. And the Newsboys in fedoras. Former, and at the time current, MLB pitcher Scott Radinsky is the lead singer of Pulley and, as a White Sox fan who had maybe heard one of their songs in the days when you had to purchase physical media to hear that sort of music, I was pleasantly surprised.

It ended up being one of the best shows I've ever been to. Right up there with seeing Ben Folds do a free concert in front of a crowd with a large portion of people who obviously had never heard of him where he ended the show by trying to smash the keyboard with his piano bench.

Dala  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·

VGS were a lot of fun live. I think I saw them with Pulley too, might have been the same tour!

tacocat  ·  10 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Would have been around 2001-2002 I think

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 20, 2018

I don't think I'll ever enjoy straight up Jazz. It's just not for me.

There may be a type of jazz you don't like, but I guarantee there is more jazz you like than don't like.

Vince Guaraldi is fully jazz... and he wrote all the music for The Peanuts.

Ornette Coleman is a freeform jazz sax player who breaks all the rules and assembles them into new shapes. You won't like him.

Stan Getz is as cool as they come, and even if you hate melody, "Take Five" is a drum solo that you love, and can probably already mimic most of, because it is so woven into our culture.

Al DiMeola. The Modern Jazz Quartet. Medeski, Martin & Wood. Earl Klugh. Kenny G. Spyro Gyra.

And that's not even moving to the edges of Jazz, where people will argue with you whether it is even jazz or not... Dr. John, Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, Frank Zappa, Nina Simone, etc, etc, etc.

Something - Side B, track 3 of that one LP you really like, but it's a weird song, but you like it and find yourself humming along to it - will break the shell on Jazz for ya... and it will seep in, and one day you will realize that you actually like a lot of tracks that kinda venture into that territory... and then you'll find your particular "flavor" of jazz.

But Ornette, and Parker, and Coltrane, and Miles, and ... they might always be off the plate.

Who knows? :-)

cgod  ·  19 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I was a jazz studies major for a bit in college, which I think give me licence to make the claim that I hate way more jazz than I like.

I own maybe two hundred jazz albums that I think are worthwhile.

When I get a crate of records off some old guy or gal I usually toss 95% if the jazz right in the dumpster. It's roundly derivative unispired wankery.

Every once in a while I'll find some Ellington or Ella but mostly it's more godamn Dave Brubeck or other white jazz bullshit, fit only for elevators or the timid elderly.

Off the top of my head list of jazz musicians that have some albums that are great.

Duke Ellington

Branford Marsalis

Wes Montgomery

Charles Mingus

Jaco Pastorious

Ornette Colmon

Nina Simone

I'm running out off the top of my head pics but I like most if it.

I forgive anyone that hates the general, there way more chaff than wheat.

goobster  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Mose.

Such a damn legend.

cgod  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Almost everyone has a bad album, I've yet to find his.

Dala  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·

We went to the record shop today and most of the cds I bought were Béla Fleck. Two used and one new. I call Béla Fleck and the Flecktones 'banjo jazz' sometimes when people ask me to try to describe them. It is kind of weird how sd86 and I share quite a bit of the same tastes musically but I listen to a lot more jazz and jazz-adjacent stuff than he probably ever will. Most of the stuff I have gotten from bandcamp has been British jazz, lately.

goobster  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

His recordings with Howard Levy were always my favorite.

And, of course, as a bass player, I love me some Victor Wooten.

sd86  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I think the two "jazziest" artists I probably like are The Real Tuesday Weld and The Faux Frenchmen. I don't know where they fall on the spectrum, but that's about as Jazz as I can get.

Dala  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Excuse me, but I recall that it was you that introduced me to Melody Gardot. Please amend your list. I am sure there is something else you like that I can't think of now, but that one is a definite.

sd86  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

She's okay, but I think she's definitely more for you than for me. :)

francopoli  ·  21 hours ago  ·  link  ·

This is what I think of mostly when Jazz is mentioned. I saw her live a few times; she's fantastic.

goobster  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Such a voice.

sd86  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

If you're not aware of it, you might want to check out the genre Electro Swing. It's fun in small doses.

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is a closed ecosystem a monopoly?

A company goes through an enormous amount of careful work to release a product that works beautifully and elegantly, and exactly in the manner it was designed.... and you want to blame them for not ALSO bending over backwards to provide that same level of elegance and functionality on multiple antagonistic competitors' platforms?

I get your current irritation with MMS is very present in your mind. That sucks. But applying fault and blame solely to one party for a fouled up transaction - when the execution of that transaction involves at least three intermediate vendors with extraordinarily shitty platforms - is just not reasonable.

And the App Store/iTunes hate? It's a curated, gated community. You know that when you buy in to it, and that's part of the attraction. There are plenty of other options that have mountains of toxic shit you can install on a whim. Feel free to live there. I don't choose to. In my estimation, my time is more valuable than that.

(Footnote: My wife and I have been texting between iPhone and Android for close to 10 years now, without a hitch. And she HATES to upgrade, and is often using tech 5 years old, or more.)

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

FUCK YES. This is a platform that shipped without Copy&Paste. This is "You're holding it wrong." This is an ecosystem that does everything proprietarily. This is a company that takes things from open-source to closed. This is a company where the review process happens in the dark, where any app that fills in gaps around what Apple doesn't think is worth doing is usually eliminated through a version integrated into the operating system that does it worse. 'member Growl? 'member how it was so much better than that which was baked in? 'member how you hadn't thought of Growl since it suddenly went away?

I beta test for a half-dozen companies that deal with Apple. There's nothing "careful" about what they do. I once had a firmware update rolled for the Airport Express because they had launched it with no provisions for configuring it over a hardwired network. Nope. Forgot about that. I called 'em up and they're all "uh, yeah. Lemme take down some notes. We're gonna get on that." Next day software update rolled.

But that was 2005 or so, back when Apple still admitted they made mistakes.

Apple is deliberately anti-interoprability. They've now got a proprietary file system running on a proprietary BIOS even on their spinning-platter hard drives; everyone else is out here rawkin' M.2 and loving the shit out of it but Apple is still trying to get people to believe in Lightning years after everyone else went USB-C.

MMS is an open protocol. iMessage is not. And when you're on MMS, and everyone else is on iMessage, you are being prohibited from communicating.

b_b  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·

They're anti-interoperability except when it comes to those good damn fucking "like" and "laughed at" buttons. I swear to God I would like to sue Apple for emotional distress when some jerk (usually one of my dear sweet aunts) goes through and "likes" and "laughs at" all 25 messages in a group thread. I wish they would prohibit Android phones from that 'communication'.

kleinbl00  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Right?

At this point, it's just passive-aggressive dickishness.

Consumer-friendliness is not a regulatory trait.

The market will determine whether the product fit their need or not, and will buy it. Or not.

This is not a place where regulation has a role.

goobster  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is a closed ecosystem a monopoly?

if you buy an Apple product and get locked in the Apple ecosystem

Which is, at its core, why you buy an Apple product.

Complaining that you chose to buy an Apple instead of something else, shows that the monopoly argument holds no water.

No fuck that.

I bought Apple because they had synchronous audio transfer whereas ActiveX was packetized. I used Apple for a long-ass time because it's the friendliest form of UNIX there is and that's where all my professional apps lived. But then this happened

And then this happened

And now I'm forced to deal with GalapagosOS because Apple utterly and completely shit the bed.

Do not for one minute think I have any iDevices in my life because I want talking fucking dog avatars.

sd86  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Then I think the real question becomes, not whether or not it's a monopoly, but whether or not its still consumer friendly. It's an idea worth exploring.

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Consumer-friendliness is not a regulatory trait.

This is not a place where regulation has a role.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not legally. It's not a monopoly. It's not illegal to be not consumer friendly. I gladly bought into an ecosystem that doesn't allow me to install whatever code I want. If you don't like it, you are free to buy an Android phone. And install a shady app programmed in Russia that will steal your credit card information and use it to pay for a kilo of cocaine.

The App Store ecosystem is the best example of Apple locking down their shit. I've had Android phones and iPhones and Google Play is a nightmare. If you want to whinge about something Apple does that's shitty, bitch about the Mac App Store and how you have to go into System Preferences to authorize the installation of programs from developers that they don't recognize or whatever their pay rate is for music.

Alternate and appropriate Atari Teenage Riot song for this fucking topic:

goobster  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My Opa

Yep. Crying. At my desk.

Sheesh. Thanks TNG.

"Meaningful". Interesting.

I write sales proposals for a living (right now). That means I am selling highly technical products to a non-technical audience, whose decisions are going to be publicly scrutinized and (possibly) questioned.

So I need to help these people get their head around our technology, and I have to do it on 8.5x11-inch paper, in "book" form; pictures and text.

And I have to be heard through the noise of the 30-odd other proposals they have gotten from other vendors, of lesser integrity and quality.

So I need to gently educate them - without being condescending - about a technologically complex product line, with a lot of potential add-ons and features that can be combined in a multitude of ways.

Once in a while, as I am writing, I hit on a turn of phrase that is going to really resonate with them. See, I have the Word doc open in my left monitor, and their original request document on my right monitor. So I can see their phrasing... read between the lines... glean what their issues are that they want our product to solve.

And something will flow from my fingertips, and I'll think, "I hope they don't skim this page, because that sentence is really going to help them out..."

---

Of course, I just interviewed for a new job today... and - holy shit - if I get this role, this job will answer this question in completely amazing and inspiring ways... fingers crossed...

goobster  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Judge revokes Manafort's bail. He will now await trial in jail

HOLYSHIT.

Wayback machine: activate!

Made a friend down in LA who was produced by Don Was back in the day. She's a dialog editor now but holy shit her videos are about the most '80s things this side of Missing Persons.

goobster  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Aski Hubski: Botox

A friend of mine has chronic migraines. She is getting Botox injections to help deal with them. Apparently it is fantastic for this purpose, but hard to get the insurance company on board with the idea.

Me? I dunno. I've never cared about such stuff. I tell people I'm pushing 50, and they laugh heartily, look at me, see I'm being honest, and say, "wait... what? No shit? Fifty? Wow..."

I think that's more because of my childish nature, rather than boyish good looks. :-P

That's dumb. It's been an FDA-approved protocol for nearly ten years.

Granted, we recently discovered that one of the companies we contract with won't pay for more than one pelvic exam during pregnancy.

"What? You checked her. She was good. Why are you checking her AGAIN? You horrible doctors with your frivolous exams driving up rates for the good citizens of this country..."