goobster's comments

I'm most interested in the exit trajectory change. All the math predicted one trajectory, as the object got pulled in by the Sun's gravity, slingshot around, and zoomed off into space.

Then it didn't go that way. Kinda. Off by a few degrees.

Why?

I hope that someone determines that they just weren't taking into account the Whoozywhatsit Force, or whatever, and when the calculations are done again, we get the observed trajectory.

I am far more interested in us getting our calculations right... more precise... than I am in some extraterrestrial vessel/sensor that we have no possibility of comprehending.

Now let's plot the new trajectory and see where it is headed... what's out there? Anything we need to look closer at?

Where did it come from? Anything that way that might've sent the object our way? Like the gravitational pull of something that it may have gotten snagged in along the way?

Then again... it could be Rama. (H/T to KB)

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Impossible Burger 2.0 tastes like beef. Really - CNET

I had my first taste of the Impossible Burger on Friday at Cheesecake Factory, of all places.

It was good, but it wasn't a hamburger. I'd be happy to order it any time, but not when I wanted was a hamburger. (I'm a carnivore so have no compunction or need to eat a beef alternative.)

The 2.0 is supposed to be even better. I look forward to trying it!

thenewgreen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I love burgers. I have had some great ones and I have had some awful ones. The impossible burger was every bit as much a "hamburger" as some of the frozen, flat freezer burned ones I have had at shitty places. From the hype, it sounds like 2.0 might rise to the ranks of the "actually good," burgers I've had. Excited to check it out.

goobster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Faster Millenials, Kill, Kill

I'm coming to the conclusion that much of the tension in the world is due to everyone 30 and under knowing down to their very bones that things are fucked for them and everyone over 50 discovering slowly that things used to be great, but now they're fucked and they're looking for someone to blame.

As someone over 50 who was absolutely sure at 30 that Social Security would be bankrupt by now, and drug and gang violence were insurmountable problems, and that we would never fight another war...

... I'm starting to wonder if maybe the perspective that "the older generation above me fucked it up for the generation behind me" is just another way of saying, "hey, I'm 50."

The perspective for the young has slowly shifted from "older generations have fucked up my future" to "older generations have fucked up my present" while the perspective for the old has slowly shifted from "I worry about kids these days" to "I worry about myself these days".

The demographic shifts of the past 100 years are anything but business as usual.

goobster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Super-Rare XP-82 Twin Mustang Flies Again After Decade-Long Restoration

Just to chime in on this... projects like this get a lot of free parts and skills. The kinds of people that have these parts and skills are not the ones hoarding them to make money off them. They are temporary custodians of something they know will be really important to someone someday, so they hold on to it.

The value is in the whole plane. Not in a weird one-off left-sided P51 canopy.

goobster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 9, 2019

Friends of mine recently visited Colombia, and were very surprised. They loved it. As Americans 'of a certain age', Colombia has always been a scary place... drugs, death, corruption... but it has turned around and is blossoming, without being touristy yet.

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

My mom was horrified when I said we’re considering going to Colombia. She literally said “have you seen narcos!?”

But I’ve heard so many good things about Columbia now. Medellin is practically a case study about how fast a city can transform. Looking at the government advisory website, looks like there still are areas to avoid there. Mostly border areas because of kidnapping.

goobster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Exasperated Democrats try to rein in Ocasio-Cortez

They clutched their pearls so hard, they cut off blood to their brain.

Fuck them right in the ear. The boat has sailed, motherfuckers. You have about 3 more weeks to grab a rope and get on board. AOC is the captain of this ship, and has accomplished more in moving the Overton Window in a month than deadwood democrats have done in four decades.

You are either on AOC's boat steaming furiously into the future, or floundering in the middle of the ocean.

And for 90% of the Democrat party, floundering and drowning in obscurity would be the only appropriate fate.

goobster  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 9, 2019

Minor edit, that might be important: While your life may be bizarre, Harper's Bazaar is not. :-)

goobster  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: RIP Sears Roebuck & Co

Malls are tremendously shitty organizations, that are run terribly, and treat tenants as disposable.

For the last 10 years or so, I have been consulting with a company that sells pillows in Westfield malls. They have an 'island store' ... one of the ones that sits out in the middle of the floor, but is on a raised platform, has storage, etc. (Not the cart-style mobile phone case stores.)

They worked with Westfield to determine the best traffic area for her store, and negotiated a rental fee that was based on quantity of foot traffic around that location.

Things worked out pretty well until Westfield decided to do some renovations to the mall, and diverted traffic away from that area. Key stores closed or moved to new locations, so the foot traffic wasn't drawn to that area any more. It became a ghost-town wing of the mall.

Her attempts to move the store were denied, and her attempts to renegotiate the rent for the reduced foot traffic (remember: that was the basis of the rental fee) was denied.

She finally got permission to invest in signs she could place in other parts of the mall to draw traffic into the "ghost town" area... as long as she paid 80% of the cost of the signs (they offered her $500)... which were then not allowed to stand in "high traffic" areas because they would "obstruct the flow" of foot traffic.

Her business went from $24k/mo to $3k/mo. Her rent was $11k/mo.

Eventually she had to close down the shop, and Westfield was happier to have her go away - and make the ghost wing of the mall even more of a ghost town - than to lower her rent, give her a new location, or do literally ANYTHING to help ensure her business stayed in business and continued to pay their rent.

Malls suck ass. Both for the customer, and the vendor.

Yeah they don't have to, though. I agree - Westfield came to us and said "You should spend $1800 a month on a billboard at our mall!" We came back with "can you show us some metrics and demographics on your foot traffic?" and they said "No! We can't! No one has ever asked for that before! You should feel bad for inconveniencing us with your claptrap! This $1800 offer won't last long!"

But there's nothing inherently wrong with the concept of a permanent public market.

IIRC it took two years for the Watergate investigation to levy charges. And they had physical evidence of break-ins, etc.

Muller is being very careful. I expect the ONLY charges levied against Trump and his family will be absolutely air-tight. He can't risk anything being thrown out or dismissed.

goobster  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Charles Bukowksi : Bluebird

When I read that poem, I thought it was the inspiration behind They Might Be Giants song, "Birdhouse"... and then saw that Birdhouse was released in 1990, and Bluebird in 1992... and had the shocking realization that the opposite may be true...

goobster  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: No one makes a living on Patreon

I've backed a number of Kickstarter products, and only one ever failed to deliver. Another one was so great I have continued to buy their products as gifts for friends, over the years.

I also support 4 different people on Patreon. All four of them are making a very good living from their Patreon support... in addition to their day jobs, sponsorships, merch sales, commissioned work, etc.

Patreon is a very different thing from Kickstarter. I back a Kickstarter because I want the object. I don't give a shit about the people making it, their life, or their mission. I just want the little cool flashlight.

I'm a patron on Patreon because I have found a few creators with a real gift for what they do, and I want them to do more of that thing, and less of the shit work that pays the bills. All of them pay their living expenses (and more) with their Patreon income. This means all the "paying work" they do actually goes to them LIVING their life, and getting to enjoy their life and hone their art/skills.

Conflating the two platforms into a single article does a disservice to both, and misses the point of both equally.

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've not done any kickstarters. I have bought products that were available after, a few board games and a video game or two. Then again I will never pre-order a creative product, either.

I was wondering if someone was going to comment that Kickstarter is a very different funding idea than Patreon.

goobster  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 2, 2019

I got a raise and a vague new title, without a clear job description. So people are starting to pull me in different directions, depending on their interpretation of what my new job title means.

My goal is to make sure the people with the best ideas win, and pull me and my job in the right direction. That's my primary goal.

Clariti  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Great plan! Congrats on your promotion :)

I'll be in LA tomorrow thru Sunday. Well... Santa Monica. Going to visit the ole homestead in Altadena, hopefully.

Primary purpose of the trip is to have focused time with an Australian friend of 15 years... who I have never met in person! So not sure how much time I will have - or you will - while I'm there. I'll text ya.

goobster  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Elizabeth Warren Announces She Is Running for President in 2020

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Democratic candidate has more often been someone who popped up almost out of nowhere (Obama) VERY late in the game.

The ones who raise their flag early, are never the ones who wind up being the candidate. I think that's almost Democratic law at this point...