ghostoffuffle's comments
ghostoffuffle  ·  1 hour ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bernie Sanders is running for president in 2020

The real reason he is running will be to move the other candidates to the left a little bit to court his base.

Isn't that what people said last time? And then he pulled a mini-Nader and the enthusiasm gap helped push us into Trump country.

And FWIW, he already did push the candidates leftward. Now Medicare for all is the gospel of party hopefuls; Warren is proposing universal free childcare, too. I can't wait to see what reasons bros come up for this time as to why the likes of Warren and Harris are too impure to consider as "true" progressives.

I wish Sanders had decided to sit this one out.

ghostoffuffle  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I Cut the 'Big Five' Tech Giants From My Life. It Was Hell

Fair enough, man. Yeah, I'm in a shitty frame of mind today. It's unfair to take it out on you.

I don't believe that choosing to focus on one facet of an article constitutes cherry picking; nor does it demonstrate anything about my grasp of the article. It was just a comment I made when I woke up and decided today was the day I'd speak up on hubski after some silence. Ultimately, my point: while the author makes good arguments about how all-encompassing these companies have become, it doesn't serve her argument to belabor minor inconveniences like not getting to share pics on instagram and having to carry cash and having to buy a paper calendar. At best, those arguments just make it sound like she's trying to make living without those services more inconvenient than they are. Which she doesn't need to do. At worst, they sound like some upper cruster sneering at the hoi polloi: "who has to pay their babysitter in cash anymore? What's the point of taking a picture of your child if you can't easily quantify how much people approve of the picture?" It's one quibble with one part of the article. Never meant for it to be anything other than that.

You are welcome here, as I was when I wandered over, as is anybody. I encourage you to dig around a little and get to know people before jumping in.

Ib_dI  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

All good. We all have off days.

I wonder if the author was trying to represent the reader who would object to what she's trying to do with the complaints you pointed out. Is she trying to answer those questions by showing that she had similar issues, etc.

It's almost a rite of passage for tech journalists to do the performative cold turkey thing. Meanwhile most of the civil libertarians are all about "if you don't like Facebook, get off of Facebook."

I myself have said "our lives would be no worse without Facebook, Amazon, Google, Microsoft and Netflix." Articles like this point out that the hydra is so multi-headed now that you'll never cut them all off.

ghostoffuffle  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My Oma died. I’m beside myself with grief.

Thoughts are with you, TNG. She sounds like she was an amazing, lovely person. What a life.

thenewgreen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you my brother from a fuffle mother. She really was lovely and she had a badass life.

No, I can see that. I get it the point. Hence opening with the part about appreciating the article's "salient points." But whinging about how there's no impetus to take pictures if you can't put them on instagram, or trying to illustrate how difficult life is without google and amazon because you need to carry cash and write on a physical calendar still comes off as absurd. It's almost as if... as if there could be several takes on several aspects of the same article! Crazy, I know.

What the article isn't about: reddit, or alternatives to reddit, or my choosing to post on hubski. So I guess the real irony is scolding a stranger for "missing the point" of the article and then capping your response with a remark that truly doesn't at all address the content of the article.

Additionally, now that you mention it: when I joined hubski with my FIRST account well over five years ago, it really did feel like an escape from reddit. People seemed more interested in getting to know each other before jumping into debate mode. It was nice. There were, and still are, some great folks here. But now I lurk more and don't comment or post frequently; the people I knew don't seem to be around as much, and I'm far more likely to be pecked at by some guy who just joined an hour ago and immediately resorts to the same lazy, reflexively adversarial tone that makes reddit such a trash heap. So thanks for the remind, I guess

Ib_dI  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Your first post is definitely missing the point of the article and you're cherry-picking things to be annoyed about. You yourself jumped head first into "debate mode".

This second post is now hostile and "adversarial". I think you're in a shitty frame of mind and projecting it onto me. I literally joined a couple of hours ago, contributed once and my first reply is some aggressive gate-keeping and newbie-shaming and calling reddit a trash heap with the obvious implication that I'm part of the problem. You're demonstrating exactly the kind of crap I just signed up here to avoid but now I'm not so sure I wanna stick around. So thanks for the welcome, I guess

ghostoffuffle  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ib_dI  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

All good. We all have off days.

🎶 Why can't we be friends, Why can't we be friends 🎶

I agree - fuffle can be snarky (not nearly as snarky as me but still). And I agree - the article is about the ubiquity of the services we use and how even if you try to eliminate them, you have to eliiminate far, far more than you intend.

Getting a photo out of a camera and to a friend on the Internet is tricky. Instagram is seamless. Playing music these days is tricky. Spotify is seamless. I mean, I listen to audiobooks from my public library and if Overdrive isn't on AWS, it's on Rakuten. And while paper calendars are great if they work for you, my wife and I are running twelve google calendars. For that matter, both of her EHRs (Electronic Health Record Systems) run on Google calendars and an iPad.

cgod  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Playing music isn't so bad if you just bought a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls hooked up to a nice little stereo tube amp and you sister in law is staying with you for a godamn month so the only thing you want to do is hide in your basement and pour through your old vinyl collection.

Just butting in to speaker brag...

Sister and law broke all the ground rules for staying with us two days into her visit. Thank God for the speakers or I'd have gotten drunk and became the "angry unreasonable guy," and made all the women cry by now. I like the Cornwalls way better than the LaScallas or the Hereseys.

mrhuh  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Your comment made my day! I spent 30+ years looking for my "perfect sound", I put it in quotes because I feel it's just as subjective as my favorite food. I ended up with a pair of Cornwalls, a handmade tube amp by this guy John Hogan and a VPI Scoutmaster. I smile every time I listen.

cgod  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've listened to the whole Klipsch line up and the Cornwalls are my favorite. I've heard some kick ass JBL's but for the price people are asking I never seriously compared them.

I need a better amp. I've got a little 25 watt tube amp but it has a low buzz that makes me crazy. The buzz disappears at any volume but... I should probably sell off or try to trade some music gear and see what I can get into.

It will probably be a long while before a gather up the bread to upgrade my Technics 1200, it's good enough for now.

GentleHippo  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh man, i miss my Cornwalls. Awesome speakers. I had to part with them many years ago due to financial hardship. Life is good now, would be better with some cornwalls though.

ghostoffuffle  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I Cut the 'Big Five' Tech Giants From My Life. It Was Hell

Some of these points are salient, esp. when the author gets into the weeds of web hosting issues; other aspects of this piece just sound like some spoiled rich kid who's totally lost without her fancy toys.

esp. tone deaf:

I have an old Canon point-and-shoot digital camera, but I find I don’t take many photos this week—because without Facebook and Instagram, I don’t have anywhere to share them.

Boo hoo. Followed immediately by:

Sometimes I just can’t find a digital replacement. Venmo won’t work without a smartphone, so I pay our babysitter in cash. I start using a physical calendar to keep track of my schedule.

The author just described how my wife and I regularly plan and then pay for our date nights. It doesn't really suck that much.

Ib_dI  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think you're missing the point. The article is about how hard it is to avoid these companies, i.e. how ubiquitous they are and how much we rely on them. It's not about some spoiled rich kid complaining that she can't access her instagram. It's ironic that you can't see that and post about it on a site like this that's an escape from things like reddit.

ghostoffuffle  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ib_dI  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

ghostoffuffle  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ib_dI  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

All good. We all have off days.

🎶 Why can't we be friends, Why can't we be friends 🎶

cgod  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Just butting in to speaker brag...

mrhuh  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

cgod  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

GentleHippo  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

ghostoffuffle  ·  35 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 313th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Daughters new album is really great. They have a way of mixing visceral noise with unexpectedly beautiful, plaintive sounds. Great contrast.

Ariel Pink's last album has been on repeat since it came out. That guy is a songwriting/production genius. Would love to know what his setup is.

ghostoffuffle  ·  70 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The U.S. Just Became a Net Oil Exporter for the First Time in 75 Years

Amen to that. We lived in a 1930's shitbox. 1050 square feet. Baseboard heating, insulation decimated by rats, single-pane windows, non-euclidean floor plan.

No curb appeal even if our street had sidewalks, which it didn't. No quick access to any charm. Regularly found needles on the street outside. Had to contend with semis unloading stock at 3am into the back of the Fred Meyer that abutted the property. Damn skippy we were priced out, and happy to be so. Within six months of us leaving, the landlord slapped some new paint on the wall and sold it for 650K. Fucking absurd.

ghostoffuffle  ·  153 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 19, 2018

There's still like ten good years of jumping left in these knees.

thenewgreen  ·  153 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bank those stem cells and I’ll stretch that to 20!

ghostoffuffle  ·  154 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 19, 2018

That was pretty much the gist of my contribution to the original conversation. Apparently we're old souls.

thenewgreen  ·  154 days ago  ·  link  ·

You’re an old soul, for sure, but you’re also the Mac Daddy.

ghostoffuffle  ·  153 days ago  ·  link  ·

There's still like ten good years of jumping left in these knees.

thenewgreen  ·  153 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bank those stem cells and I’ll stretch that to 20!

Yesterday somebody at work called me an "old soul" for remembering Kriss Kross. I don't know if that says more about me or about my workmates.

WanderingEng  ·  154 days ago  ·  link  ·

I remember Kriss Kross. They wore their clothes backwards, I think?

ghostoffuffle  ·  154 days ago  ·  link  ·

thenewgreen  ·  154 days ago  ·  link  ·

You’re an old soul, for sure, but you’re also the Mac Daddy.

ghostoffuffle  ·  153 days ago  ·  link  ·

There's still like ten good years of jumping left in these knees.

thenewgreen  ·  153 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bank those stem cells and I’ll stretch that to 20!

ghostoffuffle  ·  167 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

Now that I saw this tweet, I can't unread it as Pence. It kind of reads like future campaign fodder in that light.

thenewgreen  ·  167 days ago  ·  link  ·

He said, “lodestar.” -as read by Butthead.

Very interesting to consider this is Pence’s mea culpa. What does a post Trmp world even look like? Can we walk back?

I can’t imagine being excited for my kid to tell

Me that one day they’d like to be President. Not anymore.

bfv  ·  167 days ago  ·  link  ·

When you tell thenewestgreen that of course they can be President when they grow up, in this country anyone can be President, you will have ample evidence.

The bigger concern is not what Mr. Trump has done to the presidency but rather what we as a nation have allowed him to do to us. We have sunk low with him and allowed our discourse to be stripped of civility.

FTFY:

The bigger concern is not what Mr. Trump has done to the presidency but rather what we as THE REPUBLICAN PARTY have allowed him to do to us. We have sunk low with him and allowed our discourse to be stripped of civility.
ghostoffuffle  ·  182 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Paul Manafort Convicted in Fraud Trial

Meanwhile, on Fox News and Breitbart

I guess I expected them to spin it? I honestly didn't expect them to not even mention it in favor of a dog-whistle non-story. I don't know why I'm surprised.

EDIT I guess one of Breitbart's most popular stories is Manafort, but I defy you to try and find it on their trainwreck layout

That would require browsing to Breitbart.

ghostoffuffle  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The inexorable rise of identity condiments

No no, that wasn't a stab at you for posting. That was a reaction to all the boomers in general who feel it necessary to blame millennials for not liking the things that Made America Great. Like Hooters and Applebee's. I agree with your take on the article. I hope one day I'm in a position to just write an op-ed for an honest-to-god newspaper every time my grandkids pass up my famous matzoh ball soup. Or maybe I'll just settle for breathable air when I'm sixty. I'll own killing mayo if Sandy is okay with owning killing the economy, the american dream, and the environment.

tacocat  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·

I thought you meant on hubski. No worries

ghostoffuffle  ·  184 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The inexorable rise of identity condiments

If I have to choke down another "millennials killed x" article goddamn I swear to god.

This whole op-ed grew from the author's inability to comprehend how extended family could pass up her potato salad.

Hey Sandy, maybe millennials didn't kill mayo. Maybe your grandkids just don't like your shitty cooking.

tacocat  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm sorry. I don't think I've bothered to read one before. The subtitle about identity condiments seemed particularly stupid and then the article turned out to be a pretty sad portrait of this woman. That's more or less why I posted it.

ghostoffuffle  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·