We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
francopoli's comments
francopoli  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: USPS to issue thermochromic "Eclipse" stamp

Already have mine on "pre-order." Once of the nice things about living in BFE is that you get better service (sometimes) when the people behind the counter know you. I've been ordering stuff from greatamericaneclipse.com and talked to the people there when I picked up my boxes. They are saving 4-5 packs of stamps for me.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Did China Hack The CIA In Massive Intelligence Breach From 2010 To 2012?

To be honest, I posted this just to watch you go off on it. Nice take down.

To be honest, I presumed as much, and performed accordingly. I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Real Reasons for Marvel Comics’ Woes

I have roughly $40K worth of comics in the house, most of which are in bags. Last time I bought a comic? Maybe 2003? 2005? Somewhere in there. I think the very last comic I purchased in a comic store was one of the Walking dead comics, back when they were the hot new thing. Used stuff ain't selling either, so I intend to hold onto it for a while then figure out whether to pulp it, decorate with it or find some nerds and give it to them.

Why did I stop? World of Warcraft. Team Fortress 2. Got a real job. Ran out of time to give a shit about comics, honestly. I've not seen any of the Avenger's movies, not seen the new Batmans. I have too much other nonsense going on. My generation bought a ton of comics and I wonder how many other people my age are in the same boat.

bfv  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I walk into the local comics store every Wednesday, and most Wednesdays they either tell me they don't have anything I want to read or show me back issues/novels/random things they bought expecting to be able to sell them to me. I have an awful lot of Lovecraft memorabilia that's sitting on my shelf for no reason other than good will towards various comics shops. I feel some irrational guilt because I really like the Comic Book Guys and all the people I shoot the shit with when I stop by, but the industry... I think everything is great about comics but the comics industry.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I'm curious as to what you used to read and currently want to read, if only because if you don't look at the Big 2, there's still so much amazing stuff out there, especially if you look at non-ip titles.

francopoli  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 228th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

bfv  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Scam Economy is Entering its Baroque Phase

We’ve moved from an industrial economy to a consumer economy to a service economy to an information economy to what you might call a flagrant-exploitation economy — one in which branding and “storytelling” have replaced advertising and possibly even reality. It’s not just that we’re being sold the sizzle more than the steak. It’s that we’re being sold the sizzle instead of and at the expense of the steak.

What a beautiful paragraph. Kinda points to why I have the bullshit detector ring every time an ad sells and experience and not the product.

Editing to add. Everything about Star Citizen. It is not going to ever be released, aparently and now the fan boys and everyone who got sucked in is starting the denial phase of grief. But hey, they raised 150 mill, so they got that going for them.

am_Unition  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh man, I love it. It's like outsourced game dev training with no product in mind, but the benefactors were expecting the moon.

francopoli  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: AvE has done a video on the Juicero and it is glorious

The_Donald just went private and Voat is begging for money. I'm about to go offline for the weekend. Be strong.

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 5, 2017

Watch this movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Clear_(film)

Watch this movie: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/brainwashed-westboro-baptist-church/

I have a hard time on putting the thoughts into words. And my church was not that big of a cult as much as it was just a normal church; then again I did go to a Jesuit Seminary for two years.

francopoli  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This is my favorite Pink Floyd song. What is yours?

Favorite Album, by far. Mention that The Division Bell is a FUCKING AWESOME album and you get shit on by the pot smokers who only listen to dark Side of the Moon.

Don't care. Listen to that and tell me that is not good, I dare you.

francopoli  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Should I take the job?

And if this job takes you anywhere near where we are going to be on August 21, you are welcome to crash at the resort we have rented out.

elizabeth  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome! Once I have an itinerary set, for sure I post it on Hubski and try to meet as many of you as possible :)

Jobs are stepping stones to living a better life.

- 2k/month, company car and gas, 150$ per diem for airbnb and food. As someone that's nearly broke, a (finally) paid opportunity is nice. If I'm careful, It's a lot I can save up.

150/day? You realize how much that is? Each cheap at hole-in-the-wall places, stay cheap hell couch surf if you want to go full bore. 2K/month, don't touch that at all if possible and you have 8-9K depending on taxes at the end of this and can spend 4-6 months with the b/f and not worry about money. Having that much in savings is what freedome looks and feels like. Having 8-10K in the bank gives you so many options.

Take the job. You can always quit at the end of summer and have the experiences (professional and personal) that you can use later.

francopoli  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 227th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Showed up on my youtube suggested videos. Not bad, not WOW, but worth giving a listen to. And I'd not call them Symphonic, but they Genres have lost all meaning anyway.

francopoli  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This is why it's okay to punch Nazis.

Then again, being punched in the face made this human shit stain even more famous and exposed him to the world outside the internet. Same with that Milo asshole. Violence gives these types of people the label "victim" that they use to rally their fan base and raise money.

I'd rather fight these guys like we fought the westboro baptist church; make them a laughing stock. When the WBC shows up, the protesters turn it into a gay pride and love and peace rally that end up outnumbering the WBC goons 10-1. Hell, the fucking biker gangs joined in the fun.

The solution to these idiots is not an easy one, and there is an incredible amount of emotion but you win by laughing at the idiots. I've talked to so many people who left religion and cults when they learned to laugh at the beliefs of the group.

I wish there was a magical solution to this problem of fighting evil. And I wish I was smart enough to find and implement it.

The church has been involved in actions against gay people since at least 1991, when it sought a crackdown on homosexual activity at Gage Park six blocks northwest of the church.

Your method doesn't work. I get what you're saying. I appreciate the message. I understand the sentiment. But I watched happy turtle marches for four days at the WTO in '99 and then, 36 hours after the Eugene anarchists showed up, it was over.

That milo asshole? This milo asshole? They tattoo "victim" on their foreheads and everybody knows it. There is no part of any of this that decreases or increases their victimhood. Let's be honest: if you can assert that you're the repressed minority because you think women shouldn't have equal rights, the there is no rational appeal that will have any effect whatsoever. You've built a cosmology of your own and there's an invisible Laplace transform of bullshit between the ins and outs.

Here's the solution to these idiots. You don't win by laughing at them you win by bankrupting them, evicting them, and burning them to the fucking ground.

In February 2001, the group's Hayden Lake compound and intellectual property, including the names "Aryan Nations" and "Church of Jesus Christ Christian", were transferred to the Keenans. The Keenans sold the property to Gregory C. Carr, a Southeastern Idaho philanthropist who donated the land to North Idaho College, which designated it as a peace park. The watchtower was demolished, and the church and meeting hall were burned to the ground during a firefighting exercise, an instance where firefighters practice their firefighting skills.

Dollars to donuts? This is why that milo fuck is out of a job. Josh Dukes could punch a really big hole in Breitbart otherwise.

francopoli  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Amazing Shapes of Ammonites

There are fossils in my granite counter tops. This was not an accident and cost me a few extra bux a square foot.

rd95  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Probably worth the few extra pennies if you ask me. Are they ones you can easily identify?

francopoli  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Which tech giant would you drop first?

In the following order?

Apple (I own zero Apple products)

Microsoft. This one would hurt, but I could manage.

Facebook. Need it for coordinating non-profit activities and contacts wit schools, but could go back to email.

Google. Probably not. They do my DNS for all my project websites, I buy my domains through them, they host a dozen or so email accounts, I'm on Google Fi. Yea, fucked there.

Amazon. They own me. I have stuff running in AWS, I have Amazon credit cards, and buy tons of crap weekly that I cannot get locally, and may not be able to get at all if there was no Amazon. And then you get into the books I run through.

Hence the deploy the nukes option. My guess is that Cloudflare has learned how to beat bullies. Fight back. Go on the Offensive. Rally the other kids to stand with you.

I'm looking forward to this fight.