francopoli's comments
francopoli  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: America’s Fastest Spy Plane May Be Back—and Hypersonic

I'm unconvinced that a compelling use case exists for the SR-72.

With the real possibility of global tracking of anything bigger than a falcon, me either. This is why, IMO, we just "lost" a satellite. Then again with so damn many birds up there who knows what birds are spy satellites (all of them), what can image your troops in the field (all of them) and what birds can track your electronic signals (all of them). Launch a weather satellite with a special not advertised payload of say a 1M camera, or an elint package. Add on customers to the satellite bus, and if you are already a government agency it may already be happening with the LandSat family for all we know. The Air Force already has a fleet of weather satellites, why not add some extra gear if the power budget allows since the main cost is launch and ops, not building the sat itself. Then you start to get into Alex Jones, tin-foil hate territory of what is possible, what is probable and how you can fuck with people.

I'm wondering if we are going to hit a point in the very near future where there are so many spy sats from so many players that the very concept of war itself is going to go through a radical transformation. Why fight and risk breaking the stuff you want and having to rebuild when you can write checks with lots and lots of zeros, and then hack what you cannot buy?

kleinbl00  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

If you follow the real armchair defense guys they use commercially-available imagery.

We may go back again with better optics. They help a bunch. However, it's mostly for the exercise as there's a ridge that hides the main runway anyway… and since 2011 there's a weather station on top of Tikaboo peak with a PTZ camera. It probably didn't follow us. It sure felt like it. All I know is that if I were a secret air force base, I'd figure out a way to put a microphone on that thing. If they can consider Ted Molczan a "hostile target" they can sure as hell just not fly when there's someone up on Tikaboo.

"Weather station." Last photo published from that thing is September.

francopoli  ·  21 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: America’s Fastest Spy Plane May Be Back—and Hypersonic

Considering that the Skylon guys were having all kinds of trouble getting wind tunnel access, my first though was where are they testing the models at?

Thing looks cool as all hell and i want to believe, but yea, maybe in 10 years. They may have a working engine that can, at least on paper, power the thing, but how many hypersonic test facilities are there in the world? Two? Three?

kleinbl00  ·  21 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I'm unconvinced that a compelling use case exists for the SR-72. The turn radius at Mach 6 is non-negligible and anywhere you wanna get that thing you'll be in the airspace of somebody who doesn't want it there.

Besides which, the SR-71 stopped flying because it was vulnerable to the R-33. The R-33 is still in service and the R-37 is faster.

Russia could keep any potential SR-72 on the ground simply by threatening to sell R-37s/MiG-31s to anyone we might want to spy on. Or, simply leak the plans.

Missiles are much easier, cheaper and faster to develop than aircraft.

francopoli  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I'm unconvinced that a compelling use case exists for the SR-72.

kleinbl00  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

"Weather station." Last photo published from that thing is September.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 261st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

This was in the suggested vids. great voice and execution.

OftenBen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good choices. Both are in my regular rotation.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

This was in the suggested vids. great voice and execution.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: RE: OB's Heart

I wish I had that kind of spine.

Through a series of twists, turns and "What the fuck just happened?" something amazing has dropped in my lap that I hope to announce.... soonish. For the first time in a long while I have a goal, a mission and people cheering me on. Kinda weird to type that out, even weirder to be living it.

Sounds like you are either stronger than you think or you have shit that you have not yet done and need to stick around long enough to finish it.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: RE: OB's Heart

As someone going through health shit himself, my view is that every breath I get to make is a giant "Fuck you" to the universe. I'm in this for the long count. As an American, you gotta be your own advocate. get the data from each doc, make a folder, keep everything, and demand your medical records. If you skip over to a new doc, one that will listen to you, you will have all the charts to hand them.

Most doctors, IMO, are data nerds at heart and love to see info and test results. Even when shit does not make sense, if they see a puzzle, they want to solve it. The tricky part is fining a doc with 1. the time 2. the motivation 3. the "I still Give A Shit" drive and latch onto that doc like a parasite. Not getting an answer is a pain in the ass, but we gotta stick with it and hope for something to tick.

One positive out of today's appointment, I won't be having the transplant discussion for a while it seems. Sick, but not sick enough.

Awesome. Keep that out about 10-15 years and you will be talking about stem cell organ regeneration and shit. You'll make mk's week.

OftenBen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wish I had that kind of spine.

For anybody listening, this is sage advice. A pattern I have followed for time immemorial.

I am fortunate, I have (no hyperbole) world-class physicians who have literally written the paper on this disease. Their offices are practically next door to one another and they talk regularly. The unfortunate part is the that I don't fall within the scope of any of their models. Purely based on measurements and what has been recorded, I should have died twice. Nobody is exactly sure how I am able to pump enough blood to stay conscious. I don't have an answer myself.

You know that line in The Matrix about how 'there are levels of survival we are prepared to accept' ?

There are levels of survival I am not prepared to accept. I hate to be morbid about it, and it angers my loved ones, but there are levels of survival I do not find acceptable.

The minute that we can grow me a new heart from scratch, or seed a ghosted organ with my tissue, sign me up. But I don't plan on taking one from 'The List.' (Caps and scare quotes intentional)

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wish I had that kind of spine.

Those clickbait headlines pay the bills, man.

BINGO. the 24 hour stores here are starting to close overnight because they cannot get enough people on the payroll to keep them open a third shift.

francopoli  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 10, 2018

That is the car I was set on buying, but the telescope would not fit in the rear doors due to the slope of the roof.

You mention the Ford Focus. What did you think? Did you, like I did, wonder how a car could be that FUCKING TERRIBLE and still sell?

7. It thinks there's a passenger with there's a pound of stuff on the passenger seat.

It is due to the sensor. The seat does not use weight but capacitance. When I put my telescope stuff in the seat? not a problem. my Laptop bag? all the alarms. I've got 40K miles on mine and its a car. I don't love it, I don't hate it. The dealer is great for me, however, and have helped with everything that I have had issues with (mostly small crap here and there, nothing major).

The infotainment system is fucking bad. Just. BAD. The new Subarus have been touting the better information screens and user interface, but they suck as well. No buttons on screen, everything a virtual capacitance touch screen, in a moving vehicle bouncing down the road is poor choices, IMO. Next car I get will have Android Auto and will just use a cell phone as the driver for the system. Right now I use the phone, connect it via bluetooth and use VLC to play music and playlists.

The only other thing I really have to add is that the all wheel drive is still taking some getting used to. The first time that the AWD kicked in while hydroplaning? I coulda made diamonds in my ass as much as I was puckered. With the snow and ice this weekend I will take the car out to a parking lot or field and do donuts and test slamming on the brakes to get more practice with the car in shit conditions.

WanderingEng  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks, I didn't know the seat sensor was capacitive. I've been driving it for 15 months and the sensor never went off with books, groceries, hat/gloves, water bottles, but then I put my boot traction spikes on it and the alarm is killing me.

I agree the infotainment is awful, but I've driven worse ones as rentals. The Chevy Trax had a touchscreen volume control which was awful. I Bluetooth audio into mine, too, and it drives me crazy that the system doesn't use the phone album or artist art. Other systems do. The system functions fine on a basic level, but it feels like something I'd have expected in 2010, not my 2016 model year.

I've been nothing but happy with the AWD. I've driven it into some pretty snowy hiking trailheads. While I might have done the same with my Civic, it would have been a ton of planning both for the approach into the lot and getting out. With the Impreza, I just drove in and back out. I'm not talking two feet of snow, but 6-9" can be a real concern. No problem in the Impreza.

$6350 single filing for the 2017 year. With the charity deductions, work stuff, state and local taxes, sales taxes etc I am way over that. I've itemized every year the past decade.

Next year, 2018 tax year, standard deduction is going to be $12K and I may barely touch that depending on medical expenses.

b_b  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Apparently, the GOP actually expanded medical tax deductions for the next two years, which is a huge departure from their original position that they were going to kill that deduction altogether, so you might get an extra boost. In the new law, any expense greater than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income is now deductible, instead of 10% in the previous law. This returns to 10% after two years.

Oh, right. My bad.

I don't tell anyone my finances. You guys on Hubski know more about my situation than anyone I know in real life.

I'm in "doing the math" mode. I pay roughly 3% interest on the note. I pay $50 or so in interest each month, the rest is paying off the principle. My money market/stock/non-savings cash and holdings made 16% last year. As I won't be able to deduct mortgage interest anymore due to the tax bill, I'm debating be done with it. Then again I may just use the money and fix all the little crap jobs so if I want I can sell the house quick.

Are you in a position to deduct the mortgage interest anyway? Standard deduction is like 12,6. Next year it'll be like 24. Your mortgage interest deduction is like $600, d00d.

francopoli  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

b_b  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh, right. My bad.

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A letter about Google AMP

Why are kbs so important to web devs?

Mobile.