francopoli's comments

Every time I end up back at Reddit it just makes me angrier. The user base there has gone to shit; its a gong show of "the donald" retards and the remnants of the SomethingAwful/tumblr fuckwits with a median mental age of about 13-14.

I've been in awe of how the #4 most popular website for the US and Canada can be so, so terrible.

francopoli  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The untold good news story of America today

The author is a labor lawyer from Minnesota and should know better. He writes as someone who has never left the coasts or large cities. As someone who lives squarely out in Banjostan, it pisses me off when a writer like this tells an audience how my part of the world is doing.

It is interesting how the BBC thinks population 3,300 Blue Earth MN and population 500k Kansas City have something in common.

That jumped out at me as well. KSC is growing and becoming a tech hub for one and only one reason: Google Fibre. They got lucky and were the first to get the service before Alphabet realized how hard it is being an ISP and got bored with it. Nashville is pissed that they gave Google a ton of money and cash kickbacks to get Google Fiber and are getting less than shit for the return on that investment.

This reminds me of the articles from a while back on call centers moving back to Minnesota and the Midwest a grand wonderful thing. Because $9/hr jobs with no benefits are the lowered expectations that have been beaten into us over the last 40 years.

Speaking of reddit, I had to google a Linux error and one of the top links was to Reddit. I click on the link and HOLY WHAT THE FUCK. They changed the layout to Facebook. It sucks, like Digg 2.0 sucks.

Fuck Reddit.

tacocat  ·  35 minutes ago  ·  link  ·

You can change it back. It's pretty fucking hideous but they did learn a thing or two from the Digg redesign. I'm more upset by how often I get reddit threads as results from Google searches. I think it's helped me exactly once when I was trying to pirate ebooks. Other than that reddit just seems to fuck up the Google algorithm

francopoli  ·  20 minutes ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 283rd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

scissortail  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

This album is an old favorite of mine, especially "Becoming Insane" and "Change the Formality". I feel like Infected Mushroom understand texture better than most electronic acts; they have a gift for knowing when more (or fewer!) voices are needed, and transition between sections masterfully. This album is my favorite of their works. Great shit.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Just Don't Drink Coffee

white trash mochas

I first heard that term in Alaska. we would write home and ask friends/family/strangers to send us as much hot chocolate packets as they could. We traded them with other ships for everything from branded caps, fresh potatoes, live crabs, etc.

Robusta. That was the word I was looking for. Comparing that trash to Goodyear is insulting Goodyear!

Jobs produce money. Money can be exchanged for goods and services. If you find a job with purpose? Cool. If you have a talent that you can turn into cash? Cash fuels your passions.

The idea of a job being your purpose and that job making you happy is only 100, maybe 200 years old. I've been saying here and elsewhere that education needs to help young people figure out their talents and passions and how to best utilize those two components of their personality to build a life. Build meaning with the tools at your disposal.

The only special shit I do to coffee is a French Press. I guy the lowest tier fresh stuff, grind it at the house and french press. I even bought a kettle.

The stuff at work is the cheapest garbage that they could find and still legally call it coffee. I have to put a hit of half-and-half in it to mask the taste of the used socks I am certain they add to the grounds.

The best coffee is free, the next best is hot. And yea I am addicted and need the drug to be able to deal with people.

I may be mistaken but I think the trash brands cut their mix with Robusta, which tastes kind of like hickory-roasted Goodyear.

I've been known to survive on white trash mochas- a pack of Swiss Miss in the cup before you add coffee. But aside from that really, really shitty gig on the mountain it's been a decade and a half since resorting to such depravity.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

white trash mochas

Stop fucking with the coffee.

francopoli  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Aski Hubski: Botox

Growing old is a privilege denied to millions.

god damn it the dates are wrong, this came out at ComicCon. Fuck it, leaving it up as it is hilarious... and older than many of you.