francopoli's comments
francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy Saturday Hubski. Have an Aardwolf chomping on a snack.

francopoli  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Madison Marathon: my first full marathon

I wish I could get a bulk order of Quest bars somewhere local. The sales tax is going to be an order of magnitude less than the shipping. And Amazon is more expensive than the gas stations here.

francopoli  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 252nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Been listening to Imelda May again after she popped back into the Youtube suggestions.

francopoli  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 15, 2017

The one thing that has stuck with me about being "out there" is the quiet. There are noises once you get off the paved roads, in the trees, on a lake, but they are a different sort of caliber than most people in the modern world experience. I've been out at star parties where it has freaked people out and messed with them that they can hear trees rustle in a light breeze from a few hundred feet away. You can hear deer move in the shadows before you see them. You can hear the yips of cyotes in the distance. The ringing in my ears from years of metal concerts goes away after a few days out in the world. I need to plot a return.

oyster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I live beside a train, it’s not a very loud train but it’s literally across the road. I’ve heard from a lot of Americans that national parks in Canada are very different. I mean we literally have a whole little community here. Banff has an elementary school, high school, and hospital inside the national park. Here we have a softball league in the summer, hockey league in the winter, and yoga at the community center. From what I’ve been told you guys will have small towns outside of the parks but nothing like this.

Granted, it’s still very easy to get some quiet and you’ve still got to watch out for bears.

Welcome to one of the nicest corners of the Internet.

So let me tell you about healthcare. Think of torture, but you pay for it. Then get asked to come back for more and then you pay for it. Then you get a piece of paper saying in short "fuck if I know." Then they shuffle you off to someone else because the doctors can spend 5-10 minutes with you before the next billable fuckwit gets their 5-10 minutes. This week I ran on a treadmill, fat jiggling everywhere, until I failed. To my credit, I did not fall down, only through sheer fucking brute force of will. They have not called back demanding more tests, so I must have done as well as expected. A few days later, however, and HO-LEE-FUCK am I out of shape and fucking beat to hell. They also tested liver, glands and found that the kidneys are once again working as they should, and I thank Keto for that. Doctor likes the blood work, despite not liking Keto style diets. The one thing I will say in the favor of most doctors? They know it is a numbers game, and the numbers dictate the care more than feelings and other nonsense. If it works, and you have the data to back it up, it works and we call that medicine. I am not losing weight, which is really worrying, and we cannot figure out why; I'm fat as I have ever been and I should be dropping pounds, but those numbers can eat a bag of dicks for all the stubbornness about moving they exhibit. Speaking of numbers, the few docs and I had chats... all the numbers are moving ever so fucking slowly in directions some might consider "not dying, but think about life insurance and survivors." At least I am not getting worse. And I am not diabetic, which shocked the shit out of me. With all the baking and crap I have eaten over the years, and a family history, and the fun adventures with malnutrition and physical labour I no longer have any possible markers of insulin resistance, elevated sugar responses or the Type 2 death sentence. Yet the body feels like shit, I feel like shit and I get weekly migraines that are fucking with me.

The one thing that has come back is the bullshit fuckery with my sleep schedule. I fell into astronomy because I was up all night anyway might as well take advantage. Then I got old and shit went all tits-up. When I was a young man, I could go 2-3 days and not sleep, then sleep 4-6 hours and be fine. That all natural, no drugs, no weird shit, only coffee and chocolate and hate of the world. That, for me, was normal. Then, it hit me like a semi at 40MPH one year that if I did not get 8-10 hours of sleep I was dead to all but the angry voices in my head. I finally had a choice of fixing the problem or get fired so I got tested and well golly-gee no shit I have sleep apnea. Of all the things one could possibly fucking suck at? I choose breathing and sleeping.

I do not hate medicine, yet. I bet a surgery will shove that dial, and fortunately all my bullshit is chemical and not physical. Nobody wants to cut me open until there is an idea on what piece of shit inside me is being the asshole. Fortunately my health insurance is not totally fucked over yet, but I have no qualms that Congress will do something this year just to fuck with me and make my bullshit that much less pleasant.

After the testing, where I had lower than normal blood pressure, good cholesterol and good blood work, I celebrated with a pound of bacon and a 6 ounce steak. When I took a piss the next day, it smelled like bacon. There is something in that statement that I should be both proud of and ashamed of.

No shade on Alabama but...

Naw, Fuck that place.

You know the difference between Yemen and Alabama? Jesus. Alabama is a boat anchor on the US economy and our society, its a regressive Stone-Age society that is playing pretend with the 21st Century. The only reason Alabama exists is because we taxpayers funnel billions of federal dollars into that shithole.

Alabama is one of those places that exist as a warning to others; a place that exists so states like Kentucky and Mississippi can say "At least we ain't Alabama!"

francopoli  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Behind the lucrative assembly line of student loan default lawsuits

Health sucks. I've dropped 25K or so this year all said and done. I plan on fighting like the third monkey on the ramp to the ark until they can get shit pinned down and fixed.

Moral to the story? Don't grow up poor, don't be homeless and don't let yourself fall into malnutrition habits.

blackbootz  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sounds like the Gospel of Paul (Ryan).

I won't pretend to know better than you do about your situation. But there's nothing like a belief for future better health paired with an active lifestyle to lower the ol' blood pressure. In all seriousness, take lots of care.

The more and more I get into the whole student loan malevolence the more I stand by my assertion that we should stop telling kids to go to college. I'm beginning to think that if we want to end the poverty cycle, we grab these kids that are being told to go to college or else and instead loan them 10K, use that to get them into a trade union, and they have the financial resources to buy the tools, safety gear, boots etc they need to get rolling. That 10K will be repaid in 2-3 years. Oh and the country starts to rebuild its blue-collar and union foundations, we avoid the trade-skill Armageddon in 10-15 years when all these old guys die or retire and we start fixing things again in this country.

And then I woke up and realized I live in a superpower with a dysfunctional Congress a kleptocract president and smile that I am going to be dead in 10 years and not have to deal with the fall out.

blackbootz  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Franc! You’re gonna be gone in ten years??

You’re right that the problems we face require Herculean effort, coordination, and execution for even the slimmest chance at positive resolutions. Instead of Herculeses, it’s a cheese puff, some spineless Republicans, and totally ineffectual Democrats. Something something snowballs in hell. I’m in a slump this morning.

francopoli  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

blackbootz  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sounds like the Gospel of Paul (Ryan).

Here's the Mexican standoff:

- Employers who are "mindlessly obsessed" with college degrees

- Erosion of the marketplace from steady employment to contract and gig employment

- The steady annihilation of the middle workforce through consolidation and automation

- The retraction of entry level positions and the rise of the permanent underclass

Anybody with any sense knows the United States is a service economy (despite manufacturing more stuff than we have in our history - we're just employing far fewer people to do it). Anybody with the sense to figure that out has to understand that services have to be paid for by someone. So. Are we selling services to poor people? What's the cap on that? How 'bout services to rich people?

There's a guy in my yoga class. Not much older than me. When he found out I was showing up in my 25-year-old Porsche he decided to bring his i8 (joke's on him, I was sick). It doesn't even count as one of the six BMWs he owns because he leases it. he was telling me he's put less than 5,000 miles on it in three years because gullwing cars get rain in them in seattle. who knew?

I asked him about clearbras because I don't want my headlights to get cataracts. He mentioned a place that does all his work; it costs him about $6k a car. I'll try and get out of the place I found for $700 or less because holy shit.

So, denizen of the service economy. Who would you rather service, him or me? If you were to focus on one type of client, which one gives you more bang for your buck?

Everyone gripes about in-game purchases while also pointing out that it's that one whale in 100 who actually buys fuckin' anything ruining the experience for the rest of us. But think about it: if only one person in 100 buys fuckin' crests or whatever but the game still shoves them at us every time we log in, those fuckin' crests must be pretty goddamn lucrative. The whale matters more than 100 normies.

This is how gilded ages happen.

I've been having a bad fuckin' week. I may never mix again it's been so shitty. Watchmaking?

Some mutherfucker spent $6m on that thing Saturday. In Monaco, of course. Which is one third what was spent on this thing two weeks ago:

Why? Because Paul Newman owned it, of course.

Are you filthy fucking rich? No? Are you catering to the filthy fucking rich? No? Are you in a profession favored by the filthy fucking rich? No?

best grab a broom.

Edited to add the proposed Republican tax plan, as analyzed by the Wall Street Journal:

Take a simplified example of $2 million, received at the relevant top rates, by five different people: a salaried executive; the owner-operator of a manufacturer; an investor receiving dividends; a passive business owner, such as one who has a stake in a real-estate property; and an heir from a large estate.

Under the GOP plan, the executive would pay $868,000 in taxes, according to a rough calculation by Tony Nitti, of WithumSmith + Brown, an accounting firm. The manufacturer pays $704,400, but might be able to argue her way into a lower bill. The passive business owner pays $576,000. The dividend-earning investor pays $476,000. The heir to the estate pays nothing. The manufacturer, the estate and the passive owner all get big tax cuts from the GOP plan. The investor and the wage earner generally don’t.

Merit-based, mutherfucker.

rd95  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

The future looks like what an ulcer feels like.

tacocat  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's not a bad idea but I'd tell kids to just go get a job and go to college if they find a career that requires a degree or one where a degree would increase their earnings. In fact I do tell kids that because I hang out with a bunch of lowlifes who are trying to turn shit around.

It is ridiculous that we tell a bunch of naive people who just got pubes to pick a career and spend like $100k or whatever. When I was 17 I didn't even know what jobs there were, let alone what I'd enjoy enough to do full time. I'm kinda in between generations though so this may not be the case anymore. I think a lot more kids now know that they need to research their careers instead of assuming any degree is valuable like my parents told me.

Yea I just have no real place to put it. The drywall skills to make a flat surface, or the use of think plywood to handle the stresses of using a pen are easy enough.

IT is my long term goal to have a game room with a full wall done as a giant whiteboard.

bfv  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·
francopoli  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

psychoticmilkman  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I had some friends who had a few giant pieces of whiteboard in their apartment living room, took up an entire wall, everyone who visited would draw on it. It was so much fun.

Replicating this was frowned upon in my apartment, but one day I want to do it in my dream man-cave.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

The hostel I stayed in had a wall like that. It was a black chalkboard, with color chalks nearby. Visitors from all around the world would leave their place of origin and good wishes there.

It's a shame you have to erase one greeting to put down another — a manifestation of the great tragedy: entropy and the passing of time.

Meh. This is why I'd make a terrible super-wealthy guy. I'm just not into stuff like this as it is not very practical. I have a super computer in my pocket that keeps atomic time, has multiple planetariums on it, alerts me to bright satellite passes, tracks the planets across the sky and cost me less than any of these watches. Oh, and I can make phone calls and get my email, text messages etc on it as well.

Watches are neat, and the engineering and mechanics interest me, but I'd not buy one.

They are, beyond a doubt, jewelry first and functional items second. A chronometer rating means they're accurate to a second a day.

It's interesting. The industry spent like fifteen years trying to figure out if they could charge fashion prices for phones, but Vertu went tits up over the summer. Apple does have their stupid expensive iWatches but those are purely for halo effect and anchoring and smartwatches are commoditizing even faster than phones.

But Harry Winston - making watches.

Van Cleef & Arpels - making watches.

Cartier - making watches.

Chanel - making watches.

That? That's a new gilded age ramping up. And the guys making $50k VC Patrimonys are leading a much nicer lifestyle than the guys making $300 Apple Watches.

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy Saturday Hubski. Have some baby crocodiles, newly hatched.

francopoli  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 251st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread