francopoli's comments
francopoli  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Online dating: Aim high, keep it brief, and be patient

I have a few people in my closer circle that do the online dating thing. Watching what they go through, I'd rather be shot or stabbed again.

One of the problems is that with the breakdown of the family structure in the country, and with people not going to church anymore, the last places left to meet people are work and school. Getting into romantic entanglements at work is a minefield at best. I always scream at people to not date coworkers. So, what is left? People don't have money to go to places any more, and clubs are not a place to go for dating. People are told to get into a hobby, but the issue with that is men and women tend to be into different things leading to segregated lifestyle choices. Nobody really wants to be hit on at the grocery store. Or at a department store. Or getting their overpriced coffee in the morning.

The short of it is that if you do not get hooked up with a life-long partner in school, or when you are young, you are going to have issues later in life wondering where all the single people are and how to make friends as an adult.

I've joked before that we need to go back to arranged marriages. That just presents a different misery. I wish I had an answer here.

veen  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·

As a guy, patience and (emotional) perserverence are mandatory. It can be a real fuckin' grind though. At a certain point I felt like I was having the same kinds of conversations over and over on various dating apps and dates, with different responses but similar results. It's hard to keep at it when you're effectively rejected by dozens if not hundreds of women.

I feel like I got off relatively well with the whole dating thing, only taking three ish months from nothing to finding someone where it really clicked. Friend of mine spent almost nine months looking around, chatting, and dating before he found someone good.

There's a Dutch saying though, "every jar has a fitting lid", meaning that for every person there's someone who would fit them really well. I believe that's true. You kind of have to believe that though, just to keep going.

francopoli  ·  17 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Valve seems to be working on tools to get Windows games running on Linux

Valve is pissed off at Microsoft. This can only be a good thing in the long term.

francopoli  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club no. 36: The Last Question

The Last Question is a beautiful story. One of my favorites.

Now, for something terrible. I got bored with gaming and looked for something to watch. Andromeda popped up on Amazon Prime, and as I had never watched it, I sat down to go through the first five episodes. And holy serious shit is this show terrible. Bad, awful, terrible. Everything I hate about Star Trek wrapped around everything I dislike about popular scifi. I made it to the end of Season 1, then stopped. Then I went back and randomed two eps from the middle of Season two and two episodes from the middle of season three.

There is a good, or at least interesting, set of concepts in the show. All of them have been done better. Ship AI's are done better in the Ian M Banks Culture series of books. The hero out of time has been done so many times, in so many genres that it is a meme. Idiocracy did it better. Demolition Man did it better. Hell, CAPTAIN AMERICA does it better. Rebuilding a society after a fall? Great idea for a hero narrative, and has been done better. The Stormlight books, which I discovered this year and love, may have my perceptions and expectations altered a bit.

Then, the acting. Kevin Sorbo sucks as an actor. He's bad, fight me. Go watch a random fight scene from Hercules, go on, I dare you. Andromeda's fight scenes are Hercules choreography in space... done on a budget. Speaking of budget, Cut scenes, cut scenes everywhere as padding. At least they don't resort to too much techno babble.

One other thing that bothered me. The ship is 300 years behind the tech curve. And wins battles. Um, ok maybe, but no. 300 years is at least 5-7 machine generations even with the chaos after a civilization fall. People still tinker, people still improve things to help them survive. This is the equivalent of tall ships taking on an AEGIS cruiser and winning. Constantly, winning. Against overwhelming force. NO. The opposition would have mustered up and stomped these guys.

But that is not the biggest thing that sticks out to me. The show? It's boring. The fight scenes are dull, hell even the intros are dull. If all I had to go by was the intro to the shows in seasons two and three I would have not bothered. How can you make space battles boring? Make every. single. damn. battle the same. The crew of the ship are the stupidest idiots to ever get control of a warship. There is a deus ex machina where in every episode i watched the ship had massive damage in a battle that showed no tactical ability on behalf of the crew. Next episode? No worries the ship was healed ready for the next "adventure" only to get beat up again.

Terrible. Just, terrible. So much they could have done to make this show good.

kleinbl00  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·
zebra2  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Lol, I remember stumbling on random Andromeda episodes back on channel 20 when it was airing. It always seemed numbingly dull and trite. I still remember the ACTION PACK block that preceded it with Hercules and Xena. It was like that sort of thing but with the fun sucked out of it. It was like Farscape but with no camp. It stuck around for five freaking seasons though so it must have gotten better right? Props for sitting through a whole season. The first one too, which I imagine has to be the worst.

francopoli  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anheuser-Busch on its way to becoming king of craft beer

One of the reasons that I share articles like this is to show how fucking terrible the press has become. Nobody edits anymore. I'm more inclined that this article was pitched like so:

We need the 20-40 male demo to read our shitty website. What can we do?

I hear the kids these days like beer. And Craft beer is a thing, right?

OK run with that angle, oh and you have a deadline of an hour

I don't drink beer and even I knew that the name of the company was InBev. If we ran a real campaign against "fake news" half the fucking people on the internet would be out of a job.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·
francopoli  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Manafort gives up.

That is a common strategy in defense cases. Keep your client's mouth SHUT and tell him to sit there, pay attention and look pretty and 'innocent' if there is such a look.

Do what you can to make the prosecution slip up and attack credibility of the other side, hang the jury and walk.

If Manafort were my client I wouldn't want him on the stand. Would you?

I'd not want him talking period. Not to the news, not online, not even to his family.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Random Quotes of the Week (Aug12-19 2018)

Which means increases in personal debt. Which means we are right back to 2007, don't it?

There are other indicators that matter more, I think.

Home Depot reported earnings but when you spend at Home Depot it's generally because you're doing something to your... home... which is captured in housing. Mortgages are shitty now. So are housing starts. Neither are epically shitty but they're not ZOMG great the way CNBC wants you to believe they are.

That your article links to LVMH as if it has something to do with the economy is funny. Cheapest fucking thing they own is Sephora. Second cheapest thing is like Givenchy.

Monsanto weedkiller case: Bayer shares tumble after payout

286 million. Still probably not enough punishment.

Yeah I'm ambivalent on this one. On the one hand, the preponderance of evidence supports the theory that Roundup ain't great for the environment or anything in it. On the other hand, California is the place where coffee comes with a cancer warning. What the market is saying, effectively, is that Monsanto is a toxic asset... which has more to do with public opinion than anything else.

I'll say this: I never heard anybody say fuckall about Roundup in ten years of working. Yesterday? Fuckin' 5 conversations along the lines of "how could they do this to us?" so the argument could be made that the judge effectively sent a fat fuckin' message.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 291st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Sabaton has a music pack for Europa Universalis. So lots and lots of Swedish Metal \m/

Whynotboth.gif?

So where in the child actor hierarchy of fail are we with her?

Cute child Actor.

Tries first serious adult role.

Fails first serious Adult Role.

Drugs.

So, So many drugs.

Tabloid-fueled embarrassing "Hit Bottom" moment. AKA the Train Wreck.

Rehab.

More drugs.

Blame everyone but themselves.

Studio spending ad dollars on a come back role.

Nobody cares so the come back role is a flop.

Obscurity.

VH-1 Where are they now?

I did not realize she was still alive.

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is she ignotantly making a stupid statement? Is she cynically being provocative? Some combination? Do I honestly not really care and just thought it was remarkably ignorant either way? Only one of these questions can be answered affirmatively

coffeesp00ns  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think she's probably got a shitton of trauma herself and has convinced herself that pushing it all down and "being strong" like she has is the only solution.

Doesn't make what she said okay, but I do feel bad for her. Very few people get into that many hard drugs because they're "fun". It's usually a form of escape or self harm at that point.

I'm totally okay with her saying whatever she wants. The arrayed starfuckers and fleshpeddlers monetizing shock and disgust at the ill-thought half-baked musings of a has-been? THEM fuckers I could do without.

Nobody woke up this morning and said "I wonder whether Lindsay Lohan has rethought her comments on Harvey Weinstein." Laura Ingraham? Yeah that bitch is dangerous.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Point taken. But I know a lot of people who seemed to do heroin because it was fun. 12 Step recovery works incredibly well for Phish fans who did drugs in order to endure endless guitar soloing

oyster  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

It’s like poor people looking down on other poor people for not helping themselves because they don’t want to feel helpless about their own situation.

But the other recording she discussed Sunday could prove equally explosive.

“Who in their right mind thinks it’s appropriate to secretly record the White House chief of staff in the Situation Room?” tweeted Ronna McDaniel, chair of the Republican National Committee.

The Situation Room is a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, or SCIF, and staff are not permitted to bring in cell phones or other recording devices.

I love how we're trying to shift the narrative from "the Republican candidate for President coordinated an illegal theft of information from the Democratic opposition with the intelligence apparatus of the Russian Federation" to "a black woman didn't follow the rules in the SCIF."

francopoli  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Random quotes of the week

This is starting to give me a Skyscraper Index vibe. Stocks are shit, bonds are flat, where else are you going to dump money?

When the Generation Z kids get to a point where they can, in aggregate, look around and see the levels of fucked they are? HOOOOOOOOOOO BOY! Are the times gonna be interesting. The Millennials (20-40 year olds) still think they have a shot. They know shit is bad but by golly gee that American CAN-DO spirit and pulling up by boot straps and American dream stuff they were raised on is still a part of their psyche.

The kids I deal with that are today in High School? The smart ones see more than most people realize. The Internet is allowing them all to communicate and collaborate and realize that their future is being robbed blind by the Boomers and wondering why you and I did nothing to stop them. They are seeing the old people in one last orgy of chaos and destruction creating massive debt and environmental problems, while their generation is being dismissed as stupid kids when they speak up.

And they ain't happy about it.

b_b  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

... their future is being robbed blind by the Boomers and wondering why you and I did nothing to stop them.

The gen X'ers in Congress are just as bad. Paul Ryan is the leader of that cadre and he makes the law-making boomers look like stewards of all that is right and holy. Devin Nunes? Rand Paul? All psychopaths. (I'm picking on GOP because they're the ones I can think of off the top of my head...Seems like every major Dem is 70+ years old--Corey Booker doesn't seem like a POS just yet. That's one I can name.)

Some millenials are starting to be elected, but my guess is that they'll shit the bed, too. Everyone does, because it's too easy to love the wealth and power that are so easy to grab once you're there. Our tax laws are a big part of the problem, but as soon as you start making that $200k Congressional salary, you're not too likely to increase your own rate, I guess.

francopoli  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Online dating: Aim high, keep it brief, and be patient

1. Be attractive.

2. Don't be ugly.

francopoli  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 8, 2018

Musk's goal is to make enough money to feed his ego. If he breaks Wall street in the process, builds a viable space launch system, sends people to Mars to accomplish goal #1? I'll give him a small pass.

goobster  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I know this is just an off-hand comment, but it's not right. There are a gajillion ways he could make money, and by no measure is any of his businesses profitable right now. So they are not Making Money... they may, at some point in the future, and that is the intent. But they aren't.

Anyone can make money. I think Musk is trying to make a Difference.

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ohio Special Election Live Update

Closer to 50%. This was not a state-wide election, just a Congressional race.