francopoli's comments
francopoli  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: When a DNA Test Reveals Your Daughter Is Not Your Biological Child

Turtle McFuckface needs to remember that taking benefits from the government is theft through taxation, and like a good 'conservative' lift himself up by his own bootstraps. Or something.

francopoli  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: When a DNA Test Reveals Your Daughter Is Not Your Biological Child

Back in the ancient days before DNA testing we had a family friend. On the outside the guy was everything us boys wanted to be. Guy was attractive, married to one of the prettiest moms at the school, had three kids and a job making way over median. Then, one of the girls got sick and had to get blood transfusions. Our guy friend had AB blood, the kid had a blood type that there was ZERO chance he was the father. Guy was never the same after that. Of the three kids, two were not his, both kids had different fathers (she cheated on him at least twice with two different guys). Divorce proceedings went forward and he was forced by the courts to pay child support to all three kids, and due to the, contested, nature of the breakup he was denied the right to keep his biological daughter. She beat the crap out of him once, he reciprocated. There was other breakdowns as the family fell apart; it was ugly. The three girls were treated like pawns on a chessboard.

The day that the court stuff was over and the divorce final, the financial cost of all this hit him; he killed himself. He did it in a messy way, in the house she was going to keep, knowing that the house would be harder to sell and that the family would be forced to move because who wants to live with that sight hanging over their heads. The kids were middle school aged so 12-13 or so by this time; the two oldest kids found him when they got off school and spent the afternoon at my mom's house while the EMS etc did their thing.

France bans DNA and blood type testing Schools are longer teaching blood type matching And I totally get it. I do think that for Welfare, child support, and other financial programs, the kid and parents need DNA testing. Don't want to do DNA testing? Don't apply for government benefits. The whole family court system is a nightmare that grinds families apart and no longer seems to care about the kids who did not ask to be born into a chaotic family, and testing like this is only going to keep fueling that monster.

As DNA and Ancestry.com etc get more and more prevalent, stuff like this will keep popping up.

Odder  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Don't want to do DNA testing? Don't apply for government benefits.

This works well up until the second your dear senator Turtle McFuckFace and Fox News start spreading rumors about DNA testing being the next step in the new world order, or whatever.

francopoli  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: There's Been a George Soros for Every Era of Anti-Semitic Panic

Would work for years until a Digg-style mass migration swamps the culture of the place and it changes over a week. But I agree. I pay for Totalfark (mentioned elsewhere) as there is a lot less toxic garbage when you have money involved.

Then again, as someone that's been around, you may recall SomethingAwful. $10 a month and everyone on that board was cancer. Maybe the pay sites would self select their demographic.

The one thing that worries me is that when the site gets popular enough and hosting costs, moderation costs, legal fees, etc grow, the pressure will be on to turn on the access to cash. that means ad revenue, featured posts/products, native advertising etc. I wish I was smart (and rich) enough to have a solution to this problem.

goobster  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, the thing about a pay-for social media site is that it is a product/service, not a Public asset. So if people become dicks, you just end their account. Bam. Done. No more r/The_Donald.

One of my favorite areas on the Internet are the Totalfark forums. $5 a month is a great gatekeeper that keeps a lot of the reddit and 4chan edgelords out.

Payed entry skews the conversations to older, established, wealthy people, true. It also attracts people like me that are fed up with the public facing internet. The opposite side of the equation is a site like 4chan where the abrasive culture weeds out people. That model has the effect of skewing conversations to young, poor, college-aged, STEM students. At least the payed entry has the potential to not be an echo chamber, at least not as much of one.

One thing I wish Hubski did was not allow Google to index threads. The astronomy forum I am on blocks people from reading topics unless they are logged it. Once a month or so, someone will complain about that, and I'm glad the people running the site are digging their heels in. Nothing inside the site shows up in a google search. Pain in the ass if you are looking for an answer, a life saver if you are trying to have a conversation.

Once you hit that level where the site cannot be funded by donations and you have to run ads, that is the beginning of the end. Keeping the site small, but not too small, makes the community more civil, or at least that is the way it seems to me.

rrrrr  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

An alternative would be to charge users for entry to the site. If the charge were set low enough it might work. But I don't know how many people consider social media sites to be enough of an enhancement to their lives to be worth paying for. It's hard enough to get people to pay for music, art, movies, books, etc. Also by charging a fee you'd be skewing the demographic towards wealthier people, which would suck.

goobster  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think it is time for a pay-social media site. There was one on Kickstarter that I almost funded a couple weeks ago.

Ah! I found it. Here it is: OpenBook

I'd also like to see a pay model that incentivized participation over browsing. A "like/heart" would cost you a single Dingleberry, and and downvote would cost you 10, but a 1,000-word article with original images would award you 10,000 Dingleberries. Or something like that.

Make the base price like $10/month, and you weed out the majority of trolls. Then you incentivize participation, provide up/down rankings, good content moderation tools (flag/edit/delete comments on your content), and an anti-griefing system (like Hubski) that neuters the assholes, and that would be WORTH $10/mo.

Could work... for a while... until r/The_Donald found it.

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

goobster  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: More than One in Four Home-Sellers Dropped their Price Last Month

I looked it up. My house was $72/sf. Current value on the real estate sites put it at $89/sf.

Word on the streets is that this contract is a way to build up competition to SpaceX and prevent a launch services monopoly. The New Glen will have a much larger fairing than the Falcon Heavy, which is what the Air Force wants and why they still use the Delta 4. The issue with the OmegA is that it uses solids for the first stage; solids shake. A LOT. There are some sensitive payloads that cannot fly on hardware using solid rockets for that reason, the recent GRACE missions had to use a Falcon 9 because the other option was a Delta 2 and it shakes too much.

This, and not sure how public this is yet but no NDA on it so here we go, is one of the reasons that they are delaying the James Webb Telescope. They wanted to do some extra vibration testing as the Ariane 5's solids shook the last few com sats more than expected. (Also they sent the pair of sats into the wrong orbit back in June? July?) Since there is no way to go and fix the Webb, everything is going to go in for extra testing. I was hearing that they are concerned that the extra vibrations will harm the solar shield's retraction mechanisms but that was speculation.

That Blue Origin methane engine is interesting. Should get some extra power out of it and they only need seven versus the 20-something on the BFR.

The one Soyuz that ended in fatalities was due to reentry depressurization. The 1983 escape system firing that saved a crew? they pulled 21g's Amazing that the Soyuz has been flying that long and no fatalities on launch.

Curious Droid's recent video was about human crash test dummies where the guy handled moments of 50G's. FIFTY.

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sears is finally going to die

I had a Prodigy account because my parents and grand parents had a very high Sears Credit limit, and Prodigy account were offered as a bonus to card holders. They may have had a Discover Card for Christmas '85, definitely by spring '86. Growing up, EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING in the house was Kenmore or Craftsman. Mom made out clothes, the material came from Sears. Toys? Sears. Furniture? Sears. The first TV they ever bought? 19" colour unit from, you guessed it, Sears. I think the TV may have even been a Kenmore ReBrand of an RCA. Four whole channels and no cable, baby! My first telescope was bought out of a Sears Catalog. The parents may still have a few they keep because nostalgia.

One the one hand, the current people running Sears are only doing so to funnel cash into their hedge fund and have a place they can dump debt and other liabilities. They are everything shit about modern capitalism. Lambert is going to walk away with a few extra billion once all the ink is dry, this after running a company that has not made a profit in a decade.

Sears had everything they needed to be Amazon. The only thing missing was a nimble leadership that could see more than a few years down the road. Then they were slowly murdered by greed. Mixed emotions here, but mostly glad they are going to finally die.

francopoli  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: More than One in Four Home-Sellers Dropped their Price Last Month

Kentucky is not doing that bad but then again we did not have the 20% a year gains that the coasts did. During the great Recession, prices dipped 5-8% on average, with the expensive areas dropping 10% or so. We are now in a housing crunch in the parts of the state (read liberal cities) that people actually want to live in. And we have the Koch supported fuckwits in the sticks doing everything they can to fuck over the cities because Liberals, at least that is what the Fox News people tell them 24/7. We are restriping all the one-way roads downtown, for example, as a part of a transportation bill because people from Fuck-You-istan can't navigate a one-way road. The city has to do this to get state road funds.

My place out in the 'sticks' is flat in value over the last 5 years. I'm not far enough out to be in full-banjostan (50/50 R-vsD) and still close enough that the drive into work is less than 30 minutes. And I have acreage. 10 minutes further out and you are in meth country. 30 minutes out and you are in expensive horse country. I could dump this place, and move in closer, which I have the mind to do, but it would double the cost of my current mortgage.

Louisville $/sf: $126

Seattle $/sf: $525

Los Angeles $/sf: $675

San Francisco $/sf: $1120

NYC $/sf: $1452

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "Extreme Makeover" The story behind the story of Lawrence v. Texas.

Claudette Colvin. Putting the nice middle-aged mom in front of the press for the crime of not sitting in the back of the bus? That resonates. Unwed teenage mom? Not so much.

Stuff like this is one of the 'criticisms' of the civil rights fighters. They chose, carefully, the people at the front for optics. Its also why all the black men being attacked by fire hoses and dogs in the pictures from the 1960's are wearing suits and their Sunday Church clothes.

francopoli  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Here is the reason the Republicans are pushing for Kavanaugh to get on the court

You don't have to be a lawyer to be a judge.

tacocat  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was genuinely curious. And I figured it wouldn't remove hime from the bench.

francopoli  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 298th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

francopoli  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump administration sees a 7-degree rise in global temperatures by 2100

This headline makes me happy I'll be dead in ten years.

tacocat  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Who cares? I'll be dead soon," is the de facto GOP slogan

OftenBen  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

You are making me miss being hopeless.