francopoli's comments
francopoli  ·  9 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Greetings from an era before Amazon

The winter catalog from Sears is where I got the toys "Santa" gave me. Much like the meme "I've spent my whole life chasing the high of a Scholastic Book Fair" there is nothing in the modern experience of getting that catalog in the mail and then fighting/sharing with siblings over what was good and what sucked.

kleinbl00  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Those of us who grew up in redneckistan were used to a process whereby anything worth owning had to be ordered on the phone and then picked up an hour's drive (each way) away when it showed up two weeks later. For this process, the Christmas catalogs were effectively the Cargo Cult feasts of the solstice; they heralded the tidings of the new year and the glory of Christmas.

Some of us, however, have birthdays in late October. The Wishbook landed in mailboxes in early October.

Thus, my birthday present was usually an early glory - a preview of the bounty of the coming toy season. I never got anything expensive, I never got anything grand, but I fuckin' got it early therefore, for three or four glorious weeks, my social cachet rose enough to tide me through to the summer.

I never got an Ewok Village. I never got an AT-AT. I never got a Millennium Falcon. But for three glorious weeks I had a fuckin' Scout Walker and you didn't. And for those brief fifteen days, I was a cool kid.

My dad was a lineman. Long, long, ago. There was an area where the locals would get drunk/bored/whatever and shoot at the poles, lines, etc. My dad solved this by bringing a bottle of some alcohol and asking the guy to please not shoot the lines as he has to work overtime and he don't get to see his kids. Then he added that if the locals could at least coordinate their vandalism so that the whole team could go out and do upgrades instead of patch repairs, that would be fine. The stuff in the city would be covered with graffiti, but not damaged, for the most part. The stuff out in the sticks? yea. bad.

He build a rapport with some of the dregs of civilization. I'm talking about "I don't work because I was in the army for 10 years and now I get a pension so fuck you" and "fuck working ever again, I'm on disability." In the area that he was responsible for, vandalism fell some 50%, with, and I am guessing by pure coincidence, most of the problems occuring in November, after the heat of summer had faded, oh and just in time for the overtime checks to clear for Christmas. I'm not sure how he himself did not get shot at. But then again my dad was kinda cool at times.

francopoli  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 12, 2018

Well fuck they were in Kentucky last month and I did not know. That sucks.

francopoli  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "I can't help thinking that an Aston Martin would be a liability for a spy."

The best spy car would be a late model Toyota Corolla. Nobody would ever notice you.

goobster  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Here in Seattle (or the PNW in general) it would be a Subaru Forester.

Kinda puts a damper on the whole Bond mystique, thinking of his driving a dark green automatic 4-wd with a CVT....

bfv  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I imagine real spies watching James Bond feel like we do watching Hackers.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

'member how you were admonishing me not to pick on Savannah?

Leave Britney Alone.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Around here it'd be a Hyundai. LA? BMW 3-series.

There's a lesson there.

WanderingEng  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

For me it would be an either silver or dark blue Honda Civic sedan, not the current generation but the previous one. Alternately, the previous version of the Prius in either light blue it beige.

If I wanted to blend in where I grew up, make it an early 2000s white Chevrolet Trailblazer in decent shape but maybe with some aftermarket wheels and one modest dent that didn't break the paint and isn't rusting.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The U.S. Just Became a Net Oil Exporter for the First Time in 75 Years

My house has been gaining a good, solid 3-4% a year since I bought it. Houses on land here take 6-11 months to sell. I'm fine with that.

Do you think the drop in home prices out there is just due to the "greater fool theory" running out of suckers because the kids don't have money? Or are you seeing people leave the area?

I know a few people who have been straight-up priced out of this market. ghostoffuffle is one of them.

But keep in mind - the market I know is north of Seattle. Seattle itself is pretty crazy. So it's a little of column A, a little of column B: people aren't interested in paying the prices that are being charged so they're willing to drive in from the back of beyond. But at the same time if they aren't killin' it they're moving to greener pastures.

Not that there are many greener pastures left.

Here's what's even more fucked up:

Know why Bellingham, Burien, Lakewood and Everett are at the top of the list?

Because they're the poorest.

ghostoffuffle  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Amen to that. We lived in a 1930's shitbox. 1050 square feet. Baseboard heating, insulation decimated by rats, single-pane windows, non-euclidean floor plan.

No curb appeal even if our street had sidewalks, which it didn't. No quick access to any charm. Regularly found needles on the street outside. Had to contend with semis unloading stock at 3am into the back of the Fred Meyer that abutted the property. Damn skippy we were priced out, and happy to be so. Within six months of us leaving, the landlord slapped some new paint on the wall and sold it for 650K. Fucking absurd.

Fuck it, I am leaving the Typo.

I figured it was a conscious choice. It's charming.

OftenBen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
francopoli  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The U.S. Just Became a Net Oil Exporter for the First Time in 75 Years

That is a lot of hedge fund and sovereign wealth cash gone bye-bye. Makes the current Wall Street losses look like loose change.

Shit's getting interesting.

There's a house I've been following (there are a hundred or so at any given time; I am my own real estate advisor). It listed in July at $769k and sold yesterday at $560k. That's a retrenchment of 25% in six months. I watched Los Angeles retrench 40% between Dec 2007 and Dec 2009... and that was the mf'n apocalypse as far as Angelenos were concerned.

Meanwhile the WSJ is running fretful articles about how nobody is "buying the dip", talking heads are pointing out that both stocks and bonds are down at the same time (which never happens) and I see shit like this entirely too often:

Do those markets look... a little too tightly correlated to you?

Meanwhile futures and markets are no longer talking to each other. We were supposed to be up 100 points this morning. Instead we're down 30. I don't know what to read into that other than nobody knows what to do right now.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not that there are many greener pastures left.

Here's what's even more fucked up:

Know why Bellingham, Burien, Lakewood and Everett are at the top of the list?

Because they're the poorest.

ghostoffuffle  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Four Days Trapped at Sea With Crypto's Nouveau Riche

I thought men bonded over grunts, insult humor, fart jokes and sports?

Poor men. Poor, powerless men.

francopoli  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: People who have moved out of parents, how old were you when you left?

I was kicked out at 18. Hated them for it back then. Love them dearly for it now.

Clariti  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Sometimes tough love is the best kind of medicine.

francopoli  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How millennials are breathing fresh life into the ancient Irish language

It is a pretty language. Wish I had taken the time to learn it back a million years ago. The Grandparents spoke it among the family.

francopoli  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SpaceX will Launch a dragon to the ISS at 1:16PM EST TODAY

Right as the re-entry burn was going, a part fell off the first stage booster. Once the burn was over, everything went sideways. Booster hit the water. First one of these landings in a while that has failed.

francopoli  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tumblr will ban all adult content on December 17th

Hubski is the last social media site I use. I like it here enough to donate. When I retire, I'm going to burn the last of everything I have online and walk away from the internet.

The internet is the hero that lived long enough to be the villain.

At least the boomers are all fat and unhealthy and are going to die early. So there is some good to look forward to.

OftenBen  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

In the abstract I take pleasure in this.

In reality it sucks to watch.

Kept just alive enough.

Some financial wag or other recommended reading Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels to understand the modern Trump voter. I tried. I really did. Hell's Angels is fundamentally Hunter S. Thompson slagging on everyone for not loving petty hoodlums with hygiene issues. He never gets around to the basic issue - they suck at life so they hate everyone. They're REBELS! Not losers.

There's some very real sour grapes there. Your retirement fund is empty, your job is shit, everyone with two neurons to rub together has fled for the coast and oxycontin is about all the fun you have anymore but if you dedicate your free time to "owning the libs" you're not a loser, you're a REBEL.

francopoli  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Hubski Funding Bar currently sits at $302

Make a post when its ready.