Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
flagamuffin's comments
flagamuffin  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A thing I made.

ah!

flagamuffin  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A thing I made.

i am also missing the connection between the distribution of notes (?) and the fractal pattern. isn't it constant?

ThurberMingus  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It's the whole self-similar thing:

The first 3 notes are A-B-A. A-B-A repeats a lot of places so let's replace it with α.

So now play the instrument longer (imagine zooming out one level). A-B-A-C-A-B-A = α-C-α. Hey, that looks similar. Let's call it β for short.

Zoom out the timescale again and now the instrument plays β-D-β, which also repeats in a bunch of places so…

flagamuffin  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

ah!

zebra2  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

The branched dendritic sorting mechanism is a sort of fractal as well.

flagamuffin  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 16, 2019

iceland in march is excellent, the waterfalls will still be partially frozen, unless the Climate has Changed since i was there

don't plan to be able to do much after about 5pm though that's when the fog rolls in

and the roads may be shit. i loved it

goobster  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah? Thanks for the tips! I was mostly thinking Iceland in March was going to be ticking-the-box, rather than a lot of interesting/beauty/fun... glad to hear it still has stuff going for it in the dregs of winter...

flagamuffin  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 9th 2019

a sick fucking person huh

guess that writes my parents off

oh well

flagamuffin  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 9th 2019

not to get all peta but collars that make noise are a sort of unique mental torture for a mobile animal

cgod  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I suppose I could lock him in the house and never let him experience the great outdoors again but I personally think you have to be a sick fucking person to keep indoor only cats.

applewood  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

There's actually a lot of compelling arguments to be made for keeping cats indoors. If you're curious to hear some of them, I'd be happy to share. If not, that's okay too. I don't want you to feel like I'm passing judgement on you, or worse, telling you how to conduct your own personal life. Cause I'm definitely not.

flagamuffin  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

a sick fucking person huh

guess that writes my parents off

oh well

be curious how bhutan is as a destination, how easy it is to get to/around, etc

You should only build buildings worth building.

they let the modernist architects into paris exactly once

thenewgreen  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes! They all refer to it as "Paris' middle finger." I didn't reach the article you shared, but our guide at the Eiffel Tower told us they had commissioned 14 of these buildings but after building the first people essentially rioted and demanded they never build another.

Interestingly, there was the same such fervor after the Eiffel Tower was built. A famous artist, whose name escapes me, said that he always took his lunch at the Eiffel Tower because it was the only place in the city where he didn't have to look at it. lol.

It's a remarkable city.

flagamuffin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Planning for Paris

you make a good point about the larger-than-life paintings. at the modern art museum in manhattan, for example, although arrested by starry night for long minutes, what i really remember is the realization that some of the pictures of lilies were huge. something you could really fall into, like eustace scrubb

A human being's grandest task is to keep from breaking with things outside himself.

this reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetry_breaking

maybe later i will dig up some relevant quotes i have jotted somewhere

flagamuffin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

flagamuffin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 2, 2019

why's that?

flagamuffin  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 2, 2019

i'd like you to buy this and explain it to me, because from that picture i ain't getting it

mk  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

There are two open spaces. Every day you need to arrange the pieces so that the two open spaces reveal the current month and date.

wasoxygen  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I thought it would be a good puzzle to try and figure out from the photo how the months and dates are arranged underneath, but the two which are visible suggest that they are simply in order, with months on the first two rows and numbers 1-31 below.

Given that there is a solution for each month and date combination, it seems very unlikely that there would be a unique solution for each combination. Have you tried finding an alternate solution for a date?

mk  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I haven't tried an alternate solution. I will. Oct 3 was very difficult.

This is a good question for mike. I recall that he said an early prototype had a date without a solution.

wasoxygen  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Does your Oct 3 solution look like this?

mk  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well done, but nope! Also, it's Norwegian.

Okt 3 has more than one solution.

wasoxygen  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Here's another one.

I hate these things.

mk  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am having a heck of a time with Okt 6. Still unsolved.

consider becoming a pharmacist

mk  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

My wife was a pharmacist for about 10 years. She was incredibly happy the day she quit. She wanted to be a doctor, but her parents (in China at the time) pushed her to pharmacy instead. It's one of her life regrets.

flagamuffin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

why's that?

flagamuffin  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 350th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

the full recording of paul mccartney's gig at the amoeba was released recently. really good stuff. i had forgotten hearing dance tonight on the radio at the time, i might have to go listen to that album again.

yeah carbon sequestration as-is is basically fool's gold right now. as far as tech goes, i'm keeping more of an eye on albedo-related stuff

am_Unition  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

Except this time, he told you he'd do it. He actually did something worse, though. Since nobody ended up calling, he started making some calls himself, and while wielding the purse of the US as leverage (edit: OK, one call?).

But that clip is pretty decent cringe all around, really.