We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
flac's comments
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
flac  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Swept Magazine reviews my record

Didn't know this album existed, looking forward to sitting down and listening to it sometime soon! Also, if you don't mind my asking, how did you go about getting your album reviewed/what does your "recent promotion campaign" consist of? PR is by far my weakest area, interested in hearing what works for you.

cW  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Cool, I hope it treats you well! For my promotion campaign, I retained the services of a very effective and well-connected firm, Independent Music Promotions, or IMP. I was looking for somebody who could deliver the results labels get for their musicians in terms of press/connections, but who wasn't trying to own you and/or your music. I was pretty sure that such a thing must exist, so I searched for them, and lo and behold, they did! They're very small, focused, and their track record says it all. Their services aren't cheap by any means, and they only represent artists they're confident they can place and promote successfully, but they definitely over-deliver. James Moore is the main guy, and prior to founding I.M.P., he wrote "Your Band is a Virus," a book which details the avenues and strategies he puts to use when promoting clients' music. Now that I've seen results, I'm definitely going to be reading it, and putting as much of the strategy to work in my personal promotion efforts as I can. I suppose it would also offer a good glimpse of how he and co. proceed, if you wanted to assess more deeply than basic web searches can afford. I have nothing but good things to say, as you can tell, (I've also just noticed that they've included my gushing commendation on their website), and whether or not you decide to promote this way, I'd be very happy to keep discussing it. You have beautiful songs, and they're well crafted too, so however you go, I'm sure you'll have success.

flac  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 21, 2017

It's been 5 years today since my brother died. That is such a long fucking time.

I made a whole little 5 track EP I was going to put out today, but I don't really like how any of it sounds anymore. So here's this older track for him:

thenewgreen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is that a Tibetan singing bowl? Wow, this is beautiful. What a pretty and sad build. You can hear the heartache in there but there is also some sunlight underneath. Thanks for sharing flac.

flac  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 21, 2017

Ahh, sweet! The tools looking great, can't wait to use it!

Also, the new track is sounding rad! Reminds me a lot of Mouse on the Keys but actually somewhat dance-able. Looking forward to hearing more.

rezzeJ  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

My influences are showing! I'm a massive a Mouse on the Keys fan and can't deny that I've consciously tried to impart some of the quality of their music on to my own.

flac  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: GOING ON TOUR!

You better bet your keister I'm gonna see you when you come to Portland!! Where can I get tickets?

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wooo!

The Goodfoot takes payment at the door, I believe it'll be $7. We've got a killer band opening for us

flac  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sumer Sales, Oh My! What have you picked up, or plan to?

Good games, Dropsy is actually one of my all time favorites as far as the artistic elements of a game are concerned. Beautiful, sad, and silly all at once. Chris Schlarb does an amazing job on the soundtrack, and I really appreciate that there are no words in the game.

VVVVVV is tough as shit at times, play with a controller if you can.

Braid's great, I played the whole thing in one sitting. Fight the urge to look up solutions to any of the puzzles.

I haven't checked to see if they're on sale, but two great puzzle games that don't seem to be that widely known are Snakebird and A Good Snowman is Hard to Build, if you're into that sort of thing. Be warned, Snakebird will take your sanity.

keifermiller  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I just beat it. Took me a long while to realize that he was adding new drawings of his friends in his bedroom.

Sorry, this comment is private.
flac  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 14, 2017

Cut it into teeny tiny squares, blend it to a pulp with some water, make the pulp into paper, bind it into a book, write down some feelings on it, burn the book, gather the ashes, bathe in the ashes, roll yourself on a sheet of butcher paper, bind THAT into a book, put it on a bookshelf, burn the house down, sleep in the ashes, become the ashes.

Or, at least, that's one option.

flac  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 14, 2017

Things that are on my wall

Since we met, my BF and I have had a shared appreciation of shitty landscape paintings from Goodwill. Conservatively, I would say we've bought over 50 in the 5 years we've been dating. Almost all of them will get painted on by one of us in some way. This started with the below painting, which has a quote my bf said on shrooms once and I refuse to let him forget.

This is a place, man

We thought we had lost that first painting, so we made another (needs some touching up). We both kept one of them when we moved apart, and it feels nice to have them back together again.

Hausuuuuuu. One I made yesterday.

Things that children have said to me this week

I teach preschool now, which has been a good change of pace. Kids are weird.

Ian, age 2, likes hiding things/himself a lot. When I try and play along and ask "where did ____ go?", his response is always "anywhere!!". Deep kid.

Things I could do better

I went to an open mic last night. It's the first time I've played in public since I moved to Portland in December, and I fucking bombed. Kept forgetting the words, had some technical difficulties, played the wrong songs. Glad I signed up with a fake name.

Isherwood  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·

Congratulations on bombing! I used to do stand up and I always did my best work after bombing. There's some kind of freedom around hitting rock bottom in front of a dozen people that can help make you fearless.

Though right now I'm sure it just feels shitty.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
flac  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 231st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I've been boning up on my music theory and came across this interview with Jacob Collier which has been turning my brain to mush for the past week. Here's someone else's analysis of negative harmony which helps clarify things a bit.

rezzeJ  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for sharing this, it's quite fascinating. I've been in a bit of a slump music wise and this has given me the impetus to start exploring again.

It's given me a idea for a little project to start honing the front-end web skills I've been learning too. I'm going to try to create a website tool that allows a user to generate the negative harmony for a selected key. From my googling, it appears there's a gap in the market which lays out that info in a simple and nicely presented away. Especially as this subject seems to be all the rage at the moment following the Jacob Collier interview.

Though a brief search reveals that the guy who created this site on the circle of fifths very recently registered the domain 'negativeharmony.com', so he probably has a similar idea to me. I'll have to see if I can come up with better domain name.

flac  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: What are you working on?

2 shirts, 3 EPs, adult life, and some chana masala.

thenewgreen  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nix adult life. overrated.

flac  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 7, 2017

Just got back from the East coast, half the staff at my warehouse job quit while I was away. Which is, uh, something. I'm going to try and drop down to 3 days a week there while I start my new job: Assistant Preschool Teacher

Well, "job" might be a bit generous. I'm interning at a cool constructivist outdoor pre-K near where I live, and if I make it through the summer, I can start working there in a full time paid position in the fall. In any case, it's only 10 hours a week right now, and I'm happy to do it for free for the time being. I'm helping with storytelling and teaching songs and crafts and all that jazz. I'd like to work as a music teacher sometime soon, and I feel like this is a pretty good transitional step.

------------

My partner and I just moved in to our own (rented) house, and it's fucking great. Still in a state of disarray at the moment, but I'll upload some pictures tonight.

EDIT: Some pics.

Behold! a pretty disorienting panorama of our bedroom. Most of the art is made by either us or our friends, which is nice.

A chair I found on the side of the road. I wanted to take a bit of our last house with us, so I painted this the color of our old kitchen, and reupholstered it with the kitchen curtains I had made.

A little gardening my partner did while I was out East.

Dala  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

I love that you made a chair with your old paint and curtains for the memories!

flac  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Shake it up. Offer up one somewhat unpopular opinion that you hold.

I think Star Wars Epsiode 3 is actually the least enjoyable watch of the whole series. There are little to no stakes, because we know which characters will live and which will die because of the later movies. Additionally, I actually like Ep. 1 Anakin more than moody teen Anakin. Sure, the child actor is terrible and badly written, but there's some good hate-watching there. Ep. 3 is just... tedious and unimpressive.

(Note: I am an incredibly casual viewer, and am not huge on Star Wars in general, so this opinion has very little weight).

tacocat  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've heard that but the other two are just so fucking awful. I getcha though

flac  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Did anyone play the Walden video game

I took a class on Emerson in college, and have had a huge love for him since then. In his eulogy for Thoreau, Emerson drops my favorite inconsequential bit of information about ol' Henry, which is that he could reach into a bucket of pencils, and tell you the exact amount of pencils in his hand without looking.

As far as the game is concerned, it reminds me a lot of the "art games" that folks like Tale of Tales put out, like Fatale. Not really something that I would classify as a game, more an interactive art piece, pleasant and interesting nonetheless.