We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
flac's comments
flac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are you scared of?

The same Emerson quote that's been haunting me for a few years: "We see young men who owe us a new world, so readily and lavishly they promise, but they never acquit the debt; they die young and dodge the account: or if they live, they lose themselves in the crowd". (from "Experience", an essay that shakes me every time I read it).

For the whole time I've been making music, I've also been making excuses for why I never play in public. Hell, even just go to an open mic every month or so. There are about 20 full, pretty good songs that I have written and nobody's ever heard. I'm scared of leaving behind less than I could have.

I'm scared of dying young and full of ideas, like my brother. It would be his 25th birthday this Thursday, and I'll probably spend some of the night looking over the notes he made in the margins of scripts he never got a chance to direct.

ButterflyEffect  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

By losing themselves in the crowd, is that Emerson's way of saying they become complacent, or too comfortable in their own living?

flac  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 4, 2017

Mostly good, he's still really reactive with other dogs, so he's spending more time in the yard than on walks right now. Still a ton of work, but he's getting less clingy which is nice.

flac  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 4, 2017

In a bit of a funk. I haven't recorded any music or made any clothes since I got my dog in August. I've been starting to write a lot of new music, but haven't been finishing much.

I spend a decent chunk of time reading about new RPG systems now. Been quietly putting together a little homebrewed world, designing dungeons. I suck a little less at drawing now, will post pictures when I get home.

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I spend a decent chunk of time reading about new RPG systems now.

PM me an address, and I'll send you mine.

WanderingEng  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

How's the dog doing?

flac  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
flac  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 244th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

EDIT: And a new Tennyson Single

flac  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Holiday time! I am visiting the west coast of the USA + Canada

I'll be in Portland! The 23rd works for me, I'd love to grab a beer somewhere!

rjw  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes definitely!

cgod  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·

Tell me when and where and I'll try and show up.

flac  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 243rd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Flipping through my fake book, came across this wonderful song I somehow hadn't heard before.

flac  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 6, 2017

Found on the bottom of a pan at the preschool.

It's the first week of the school year at Pre-K, lots of new kids. One kid cried the entirety of the day yesterday, which was, uh, not great.

------------------

My dog killed a squirrel yesterday. He's incredibly proud of himself. Pretty cute.

I buried the dead squirrel in the yard, but Coop keeps digging him up and playing with the corpse. Not so cute. cgod, can I throw a dead animal in my municipal compost bin in Portland?

cgod  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can toss dead squirrels in the compost.

My cat has killed two and that's where we put them.

flac  ·  51 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Your load is too heavy: Zork deep reading

Sweet! If you're ever looking for a particular flavor of game, MathBrush's lists on IFDB are pretty awesome and informative. Found out about a lot of cool games through him.

flac  ·  51 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 30, 2017

Alas, 'twas not me - the CD got sent back to me for insufficient stampage, and I never got around to re-sending it. I will definitely do it before 2018!

Didn't know Plotkin had a blog, thanks for sharing this! He's never been quite my style as far as IF authors/creators go, but I can't deny that he is an incredible font of information.

Also, just because IF doesn't come up much, here are some of my favorite IF games for anyone who wants to play one (and you should!):

Games about words

Counterfeit Monkey - Emily Short

A masterful game by one of the best IF creators, and has one of my favorite items in all of fiction: a gun that lets you remove one letter from a word, and thus alter reality. A "pear" can suddenly become an "ear", and someone's tasty snack will suddenly become quite a bit less appetizing. Think of it as "Portal for the English language". Each puzzle has quite a few solutions, and you are limited only by your cleverness.

Ad Verbum - Nick Montfort

A smartly written puzzle game that relies on clever wordplay and themed rooms. Light and engaging.

Suveh Nux - David Fisher

By far my favorite one room game. Anyone with an interest in linguistics and "thinking your way out" should check this out. A pretty fast game about unearthing magic.

Games about Games

Endless, Nameless - Adam Cadre

My favorite IF game. Part throwback love letter to old school IF, part metafictional metaphysical rollercoaster. If you've played an IF game before, I cannot recommend this game enough. You will DEFINITELY need to download it and play it on your computer, not online. Make use of saves.

Words about Words

Galatea - Emily Short

A beautiful character study that is incredibly executed from a syntax/programming standpoint.

Eurydice - Anonymous

It's, uh, real sad. A retelling of the classic myth.

Aisle - Sam Barlow

By the creator of Her Story. A one word game.

NOTE: I only picked freely available modern games because it's a bit harder to find legal ways to play older ones. Obviously, play Zork Sorceror, Adventure, etc. if you can find a copy of them.

spencerflem  ·  51 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the links! I've just started getting into IF, ill be sure to check them out.

flac  ·  51 days ago  ·  link  ·

flac  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 30, 2017

pup!

Training continues. Still working on making time for music, recording a lot to cassette again these days.

lil  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·

Mail arrived for me @ US address. Is it your CD? Or did steve send me blob's CD? All will be uncovered in 2018.

flac  ·  51 days ago  ·  link  ·

steve  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·

alas... it was not me...

coffeesp00ns  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·

What a cutie!!!

flac  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Yet another thing Millennials are killing: electric guitars

Oops, fixed.

What are your brothers names? I had a pretty solid Kirby in 3.0 PM, haven't played much since.

weewooweewoo  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

I main Kirby in PM too! Threefish and Ren, I think they're ranked like 4 and 5 in Alaska for PM. We also just had Umbreon stay here for a summer, he helped developed some of the character movesets in PM. He dominated PM his entire stay here, he knows how to gimp with a lot of characters, but that's kind of expected, haha.

I mean, I've gotten up on stage with a diddley bow made out of 1 string and a plank of wood before, my standards are real fuckin' low.

I also make, primarily, folk and lo-fi music. If I made actual real jazz, you bet your ass I'd get myself a decent semi-hollow. If I made metal, I'd get something I could shred with.

If I was learning to play again, I would buy the cheapest (playable) guitar I could until I knew what kind of music I wanted to play, and then specialize after.

Monoprice may or may not be shit - I'm guessing there's a reason I haven't heard of them.

Please do! I'm a Ganon main, I lived in an apartment with a few other competitive players. Haven't played since I graduated. Marth was the bane of my existence. I used to main Ness, and Mofo (of this legendary match ) actually lived near my school, so I got to learn some cool tricks from him. I've toyed with the idea of having a non fraudulent main, but life is too short to learn multishining.

weewooweewoo  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

You linked to the Reign of Kindo video, which tripped me up. I don't play much anymore, but so many of my friends from disparate circles play. Both of my little brothers are also ranked in PM, I can't even come close to touching them.

flac  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·