flac's comments
flac  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 15, 2018

An Arturia Microbrute and the included synth software (Analog Lab). Highly recommend it, it was around $200 when I got it (and it was bought for me as payment for the score, which is even better). It's the first decent synth I've ever had, and it's proven incredibly versatile so far.

flac  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 15, 2018

Big fan of all the above - a semi-broken $20 Portastudio was what I first started recording on.

Earthbound is, of course, amazing, but I think the game I've put in the most time on is Kirby's Dream Course. Once you get the hang of the mechanics, it's insanely fun. My fiance and I spent many nights in drinking beers and playing a few rounds of kirby golf.

zebra2  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I haven't opened up either of those. I'll definitely have to try the kirby golf.

flac  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 15, 2018

Thanks! It's been fun working mostly with synths and electronic sounds, lots of room to experiment and make some soundscapes.

I've done one or two songs here and there for movies before, but this is my first time making a whole score. It's only about 20 minutes long, but there's still around 10 minutes of music (14 tracks), so I've been keeping busy, to say the least.

zebra2  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

What have you been using for the synth sounds?

flac  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

flac  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 15, 2018

Gainfully employed and moving to Vermont in a week. Teaching music at a K-8 school in the woods, pretty much the dream job.

On the music front: I'm within spitting distance of finishing the score for my friend's movie. Here are some tracks that somewhat make sense on their own.

zebra2  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is dope. I've always thought it'd be rad to score a movie.

flac  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

zebra2  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

What have you been using for the synth sounds?

flac  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

flac  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 8, 2018

Oh, hi.

The summer Shakespeare program that my family runs ended yesterday, and I am fucking beat. Things were a mess this year from a tech standpoint, but the students were great. I recorded one song with a student, which I should be done mixing soon. Sad to be back in a quiet house again, but I am not missing the dirty dishes on every available surface.

I'm moving, again. This time to Brattleboro VT, only about two hours away from my family, into a three-bedroom apartment that costs less than $1000 a month. Teaching preschool, making music, same old same old. Great little art scene that I'm looking forward to becoming a part of.

I'm sort of running on empty these days. This summer took a lot out of me, and sadly I don't have time to rest before moving.

Still, found the time to make a banjo-ukulele.

Tamborine, scrap wood, recycled plastic hit with a heat gun to shrink it.

Expect to see a bit more of me after the move.

[PS: kleinbl00, anyone else with an opinion: I have been sitting on a bit of Tesla stock since 2015, and have been dying to get rid of it for almost as long because Elon Musk is a terrifying crazy person. What do you think are the odds of him actually sticking to all this going private talk?]

Musk isn't crazy, but he certainly isn't a stickler for rules, either.

In my opinion, stock markets are one of the worst innovations in the history of economics because they pervert your core business from "making money" to "making people think you're making money." Things may have been different before Welch and "shareholder value" but that predates my investment experience by decades. Either way, the logic of taking things private makes perfect sense to me - tire-kickers don't get to tell you what to do, assholes like Carl Icahn can't swoop in and upend your business model because they have sand in their vagina, and you don't have to report shit to no one. Considering SpaceX isn't modeled after Boeing or ULA but after the Korolev Design Bureau I certainly see where he's coming from on the whole "gone-private" thing.

Is he serious? Damn skippy. Will he get away with it? Less certain. I've been hanging onto a few shares since...err... March? Which means I think I'm in at about the same strike as you are. I'ma ride it out 'cuz the crazy fucker is approaching profitability for the first time and having worked for public vs. private corporations the private ones are hella more efficient. Maybe the asshole will even hire a designer. I mean, it breaks my heart that he bought a fuckin' McLaren Mk I but his cars look like the default avatar from a generic Korean sedan appreciation forum.

Anyway. According to the WSJ the SEC is now sniffing around his anus about those tweets but I really doubt Elon Musk gives a fuck what the SEC sniffs. If he can get away with it he will. And in order to get away with it he need only prove he had an investor at the time of the tweet who told him they'd finance the thing at $420 a share. He doesn't need to prove they weren't lying, he doesn't need to prove they didn't do it so they could scoop up a bunch of shares prior to the announcement and then dump them immediately after. I'll bet he does it.

PS. Thy banjo? 'tis dope.

goobster  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

You've said it better than I ever could have.

Musk is trying to demonstrate that the entire valuation system for companies is broken.

WalMart is successful because they pay people less than a living wage, and the government picks up the slack.

The entire assets and future of Tesla is not now, and never will be, worth $420 a share. But the idea of Tesla? The goals of Tesla/Musk? I'll buy that shit at $1000 and be pleased as fucking punch to have a tiny a part in it.

I think Musk's whole idea is to destroy Wall Street and the rapacious culture of "profits over people", and force people to weigh the entire benefit/impact of a company and their products and culture, rather than solely basing value on quarterly earnings.

francopoli  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Musk's goal is to make enough money to feed his ego. If he breaks Wall street in the process, builds a viable space launch system, sends people to Mars to accomplish goal #1? I'll give him a small pass.

goobster  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I know this is just an off-hand comment, but it's not right. There are a gajillion ways he could make money, and by no measure is any of his businesses profitable right now. So they are not Making Money... they may, at some point in the future, and that is the intent. But they aren't.

Anyone can make money. I think Musk is trying to make a Difference.

flac  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 4, 2018

Good time for a change. I'm back east, the students are here, it's too fucking hot out. The someday Misses and I explored VT this weekend - think we may settle in Burlington someday soon.

I'm making music again, making shirts again - both pictured above. I made a 4th of july shirt, will upload later. [EDIT: Behold the monstrosity]

Things are good, hectic. I'm scoring a movie this summer, and working on some music besides.

EDIT: for those interested, the music tools featured in the above are a beat up, taped down Casio sampling a beer bottle; an acoustic guitar with an eBow drone; a gameboy color through a delay.

Almost instantly, the two groups began exchanging blows, throwing objects at one another and shouting— each calling the other "Nazis."
flac  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 30, 2018

One more day until I hop on a long train across the country. Taking a one day stop in Chicago to visit family, the whole trip will be about 4 days. Lots of books picked out, lots of music downloaded, lots of yarn for sweaters.

Also, I've been cross stitching a bunch the past few days, mostly to keep from going insane.

Pictured here are Mr Saturn, a freeform geometric thing I'm working on, my Oregon patch, and a lil robin.

flac  ·  87 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

You know, the North Sea is on my registry...

flac  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

with bonus shot of the pastiest leg in the world!

flac  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

That ooky spooky ghost cat is truly delightful

flac  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

──────────╔═╝║

──────────╚══╝

tacocat  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

Gotcha, bud

flac  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018x 7

Engaged.

Do you mean "I am busy with tasks" or do you mean "I'm going to sneak a major life event in here like it ain't no thing?" 'cuz I got badges to burn, mutherfucker. Try me.

flac  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

BOTH MUTHERFUCKER

Shit I can't badge things twice

╔═══╗─────────────╔╗───╔╗───╔╗

║╔═╗║────────────╔╝╚╗──║║──╔╝╚╗

║║─╚╬══╦═╗╔══╦═╦═╩╗╔╬╗╔╣║╔═╩╗╔╬╦══╦═╗╔══╗

║║─╔╣╔╗║╔╗╣╔╗║╔╣╔╗║║║║║║║║╔╗║║╠╣╔╗║╔╗╣══╣

║╚═╝║╚╝║║║║╚╝║║║╔╗║╚╣╚╝║╚╣╔╗║╚╣║╚╝║║║╠══║

╚═══╩══╩╝╚╩═╗╠╝╚╝╚╩═╩══╩═╩╝╚╩═╩╩══╩╝╚╩══╝

──────────╔═╝║

──────────╚══╝

tacocat  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

Gotcha, bud

thenewgreen  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

Someone with copious amounts of badges throw one on there for me too. I'm fresh out.

Congrats, flac! At some point, you need to share the details :) ... in song.

_refugee_  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

gotchu

thenewgreen  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you, ref!

Dala  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·

By decree, the badges must rain upon flac's post. I mean, I would have been bagding that shit anyway, but I officially second the request for details via song.

lil  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's not real if there's no pictures? Didn't I read that somewhere here recently?

flac  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

with bonus shot of the pastiest leg in the world!

_refugee_  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

Welcome to the fold, Lil. You sprok the truth.

Dala  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome! Congratulations to you both!

nowaypablo  ·  87 days ago  ·  link  ·

flac, you dog. Congrats!

mk  ·  87 days ago  ·  link  ·

Congratulations!!!

This makes me feel so guilty about the Edinburgh thing.

flac  ·  87 days ago  ·  link  ·

You know, the North Sea is on my registry...

veen  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

Congrats dude!

ButterflyEffect  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·

You muthafucka.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

flac  ·  90 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 279th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Sorry, this comment is private.