flac's comments
flac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 21, 2018

Just had 5 days off, then one day of work, and now another 5 days off. Keeping myself as busy as I can.

Doing a lot of recording, I'm really happy with how things are turning out. Might be an EP out soon.

flac  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 14, 2018

Been a real nice week. Saw some friends I haven't seen in a while, booked my train tickets home, and after today, I have a 5 day weekend. No idea what to even do with that much time off.

Also, I've been messing around with pastels.

Included here: a Black-Eyed Junco, a Yellow Crowned Night Heron (my personal favorite bird), an attempt to draw along with an episode of the Joy of Painting, an abstract little triangle thing, and a tree. Pastels are fun but real goddamn messy - might mess with some watercolors next.

flac  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 7, 2018

No worries :)

In addition to bfv's link, I found this guide pretty informative and straightforward.

I think the best thing to do to get used to drawing in isometric is to get some isometric graph paper, or just print some out(PDF warning), and just draw a shit ton of cubes of varying dimensions. I mostly just searched through reddit.com/r/Isometric until I found something really basic looking, and then I just tried to copy it on graph paper. I also tried to model basic furniture around me - mostly tables and stuff.

Understanding depth in isometric grids is tough, and I mostly just draw lightly with pencil until it looks right. Because it's modeling a 3D space, I find it's pretty easy to see when something is going the wrong direction (granted, it's sometimes less easy to figure out where things ought to be going...).

The only thing you really need to get started is a triangular protractor, which should have a 30 degree angle on one side. If you have a transparent ruler and a better knowledge of geometry than me, then you may already be fine. You just need some way to make 30 degree angles.

I'm planning on doing some more paintings this weekend, I'd be happy to take some pictures along the way and write up a quick visual guide for how I do stuff. There's a bunch of tiny little tricks I've picked up along the way, I'll put them in there.

Generally speaking, I make a cube, then an isometric grid inside of it, both in pencil. I draw some furniture, erase the gridlines, then border everything with a fine black marker. After that I fill in with acrylic paint and some markers. To tell the truth, I know nothing about painting theory, so I just make most object monocromatic, and don't clean my brushes too well. Sometimes it works out well.

I'm not entirely sure yet what these rooms will be - some of them are idealized rooms from my memory, some are rooms I'd like to build some day. I think they're all part of one mansion, big enough that you can sleep in a new room every night. A nice place to visit.

flac  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 7, 2018

Close, but no canuck. My dad was born in Newfoundland, though (albeit on an American military base...)

FirebrandRoaring  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I saw the dot-CA domain. I assumed. My bad.

flac  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

No worries :)

flac  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Americans are spending less and less on clothing.

And more and more on fabric... (just me?)

flac  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 7, 2018

Au contraire:

FirebrandRoaring  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

You Canadians and your high quality of life...

lil  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

flac isn't Canadian. OR IS HE??

flac  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

FirebrandRoaring  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I saw the dot-CA domain. I assumed. My bad.

flac  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

No worries :)

I really dig the hermitage, looking forward to the dingo! (Weird sentence...).

Sorry to hear about work - anything in particular that's been bugging you?

rd95  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! I'm experimenting with some minimal line drawings/sketchings/Idon'tfuckingknow and liking how they're turning out and I've always been in love with that picture, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

As for work? It's pretty much a continuation of this . . .

Except things keep getting worse and worse. The amount of stress there is balls crazy at this point. It's pretty fucked up. Hence, going back to school.

oyster  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Have you found any programs you're keen on going back for ?

rd95  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I forget the exact name of the program, but it covers logistics such as tracking inventory/purchasing/shipping etc., freight schedules, all that kind of stuff. I did a lot of looking last night on Indeed and it seems like the requirements and job responsibilities are all over the spectrum, but I've found stuff in everything from warehousing to freight companies to hospitals to construction to non-profits. I figure worse comes to worse and I can't get a job in something that the school actually covers, I'll at least pick up a few new things to help me land something.

goobster  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

KB tagged me, because I work for a company that does some stuff like that. Because I don't want to out my hubski profile and actual name publicly, this is one of our competitors: https://www.telogis.com/

----

So logistics is a REALLY interesting field to get in to, and it has a lot of different aspects to keep anyone interested:

1. Technology. GPS. GSM. Remote sensors. Cloud data systems. Cellular data transmission and networks. IoT.

2. Software. Especially analytics. Big data analysis. Feeding enormous amounts of sensor data into a smart algorithm, and getting insights into all sorts of operational and actionable data. And again, IoT.

3. Probability, Statistics, and Other Big Math. Selecting the optimum route for a truck, taking into account many variables, including low bridge heights, hazardous materials transport, load size, multiple customer loads in a single truck (optimal load/unload order), meeting complex government regulatory requirements (Hours of Service, ELD, etc.), and then adding fuel cost, drive time, wear and tear on the vehicle, all together to determine optimal route/load efficiency.

4. Customer Service. The most responsive and reliable carrier gets the work. How do you consistently amaze your customers, so you can continue to get their work?

5. Safety. Trucking and shipping can be incredibly dangerous, and ensuring that the equipment is safe and reliable, and the drivers are operating them responsibly, is all a part of making our roads safer. Two 747's worth of people die on American roads every month. Freight logistics/planning, and safety systems are an important part of lowering that number.

---

So yeah. Go work for them. Find out what they do. Dig in to it. Talk to the people who are passionate about the job/work/company, and why they are motivated to come into the office every day.

I never thought of a job like this for myself. And I am very happy.

rd95  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah. I'm gonna call a counselor later this week to set an appointment for next week to see about starting classes. One of the really cool things, puttering around Indeed last night, was to see that there are so many levels you can go with these kinds of things in so many industries. If I can do this, and find a way to be versatile, it'll probably reduce the concerns of future job security because I should be able to find something somewhere, automation or economic hiccups or no.

oyster  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'll at least pick up a few new things to help me land something.

What do you actually want though ? I just got to a point in life where I'm comfortable going bigger with school and honestly I wish I didn't waste my time making compromises on what I really wanted for so long.

Edit: I have no fucking idea what I want.

rd95  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, for the past two months or so I've been daydreaming about getting let go from my job so I could have an excuse to go to the local food pantry and help out three or four days out of the week. So there's a big clue right there.

I'd love a job where I can do something with my hands, like locksmith, arborist, plumber, etc. but unfortunately I can't do heavy lifting for medical reasons, so as much as I really wish and day dream about it, it's not gonna happen.

Honestly? It's not even about the money. I just want a job that's A) satisfying, B) productive to society, and C) at a place where I don't get treated like crap. Better pay would be nice. Some social prestige would be welcome. But those are secondary desires.

oyster  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

You get to tinker with stuff as a dental hygienist (teeth) without heavy lifting and that's a skill you could use to help people who don't have access to dental care if you get set up with the right people. I looked into that at one point and I'm pretty sure it's a community college degree.

Not today, alas. Cutting-edge and cuddly have little overlap.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

On the contrary: there has been no progress in cuddly for the last couple of centuries.

Go ahead, then, and make headlines.

flac  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Au contraire:

FirebrandRoaring  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

You Canadians and your high quality of life...

lil  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

flac isn't Canadian. OR IS HE??

flac  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

FirebrandRoaring  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I saw the dot-CA domain. I assumed. My bad.

flac  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

No worries :)

Thank you.

I'm torn - I feel like I never spend enough time with any of my hobbys to get really good at any one of them (music being the exception, I guess), but I like that I can be sat in just about any room and make SOMETHING I like. I think I very much have "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" syndrome, and I'm at peace with that.

(Also, isometric is easy if you've got a ruler! Most of my family are engineers, so I feel like this sort of thing is baked into me on some level).

steve  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

flac's talents (including genuine humility) seem to know no bounds.

I MADE SOME SHIT, Y'ALL

First of all, my first sweater is done!

Really happy with how it turned out, just a smidge short, but that's okay. Already started another sweater, because I'm crazy.

Also, I started painting stuff this weekend. I've never really been good at or liked drawing/painting, but I've been toying with some isometric stuff for the past few weeks, which has been fun. I'm making about 1 room a day, might connect them, might not.

First one:

(The dog is named Sammy)

Not quite as cleanly executed as I'd like, but I like the design of this room. Might make it again sometime.

WIP of the current one.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

No avantgarde fashion, then.

It looks good.

flac  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not today, alas. Cutting-edge and cuddly have little overlap.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Go ahead, then, and make headlines.

flac  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Au contraire:

FirebrandRoaring  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

You Canadians and your high quality of life...

lil  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

flac isn't Canadian. OR IS HE??

flac  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

FirebrandRoaring  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I saw the dot-CA domain. I assumed. My bad.

flac  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

No worries :)

rd95  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm jealous at how you're pretty much amazing at anything you try.

flac  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you.

steve  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

flac's talents (including genuine humility) seem to know no bounds.

_refugee_  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've come back to this pubski to check out these isometric (drawings? paintings?) of yours three times now.

Can you tell me more about them? Both yours specifically (how would it fit together? it's a house clearly/potentially/theoretically, tell me more about the house) and maybe if you could tell me more about the isometric style/technique/school or throw me some wikipedia links. I am very curious, it looks like something that would be fun to try. I would really appreciate hearing more. Thanks!

flac  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·
flac  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Can't People Hear What Jordan Peterson Is Saying?

1. Really horrible interview (re: the interviewer)

2. Somehow, an even worse article - is the Atlantic like Medium now, where pretty much anyone can post things?

3. I feel kind of bad for Jordan Peterson. He's definitely got some opinions I disagree with, but he's a fairly moderate, well-reasoned speaker, and I always at least understand where he's coming from and how he gets there.

That being said, his fans can be pretty terrible - I think that a large part of the negative associations with him are due to his shit-eating fanboys (and, it should be noted, fangirls as well - my GF listens to a ton of his lectures, albeit partly just to see what the fuss is about) posting snippets of his lectures as "factz-based" told-you-so's to bleeding heart liberals. I think both sides tend to lose the nuance, and just skip to the parts that help prove whatever point they're trying to make, regardless of his larger arguments.

Idk, I am generally not a big fan of people who hold the scientific method above literally all else in life, but I think that's more of a problem with his fans than with him. Also not too pleased with Psychologists doing the work of social scientists, but that's another thing entirely.

OftenBen  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Could you expand on this a little?

I think the people most suited to talking about societies ills are the people who do the maintenance.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

1. Really horrible interview (re: the interviewer)

I understand the interviewer's attitude towards getting to the truth: that one has to bite their teeth into what they think is right. It doesn't exclude trying to see what the other person has to say. She was arguing from her perspective, which is fairup to a certain point — and she stepped right over it when she continued to question Peterson about "But don't you think women being mistreated is wrong?".

Journalism needs people who, like her, could stand her ground. Journalism also needs people who, unlike her, are willing to see what others have to say on the matter.

francopoli  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Atlantic has been on a downward slope since, hell, 2004? When they shit themselves when Kerry lost? The guys at The Daily Kos had a spat with them at the height of the Dean run for President, but I cannot recall why.

Medium? Yea...

After struggling with financial hardship and a series of ownership changes since the late 20th century, the magazine was reformatted in the early 21st century as a general editorial magazine. Focusing on "foreign affairs, politics, and the economy [as well as] cultural trends," it is now primarily aimed at a target audience of serious national readers and "thought leaders." In 2010, The Atlantic posted its first profit in a decade. In profiling the publication at the time, The New York Times noted the accomplishment was the result of "a cultural transfusion, a dose of counterintuition and a lot of digital advertising revenue."

As for point #3:

I feel kind of bad for Jordan Peterson.

He is not really saying anything that would have been radical in the 90's. He is a middle of the road, left-ish leaning academic who found some buttons to push and rake in Patreon dollars. He was making 45K a month just in donations for a while, but it now looks like that total is hidden, but he said in an interview last year he was making more in Patreon than as a professor. His biblical stuff is interesting, but not radical or revolutionary. The issue I have with conversations around him is that he saw fame and fortune in the outrage mob and now everything he does, IMO, is wrapped in that frame.

We no longer have politics in the US or even Canada to an extent; we have competing, warring mobs of religious fanatics tearing at each other and trying to score "gotchas" instead of talk and solve problems. Peterson is not going to help fix the problem. And I don't need to be told to "clean my room."

FirebrandRoaring  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

And I don't need to be told to "clean my room."

He's not talking to you, then. He's talking to the young and lost in the world, unsure of what they want or need. To the people who had everything about them taken care for by their parents, so without their frame of the world they're incapable of finding their way.

It's why he's a university professor and not a life coach. He made his audience clear: it's the young men and women attending his classes who are most often as lost as he antidotes against.

flac  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Art lovers of Hubski, post landscape images, just because

Love me some Eyvind Earle

Also, landscape adjacent:

flac  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 31, 2018

THINGS I'M MAKING

My very first sweater, which I sadly don't think I have enough yarn to finish yet.

More rings. Been working on some hammered finishes. Getting more consistently good seams.

DOG CODA

I've been getting updates from the rescue place that took in my old dog, and apparently he's doing great there. He's comfortable enough around other dogs that he can just chill out in the same room as them for the duration of a movie, no barking, no scratching. He's getting tons of exercise, and can just run around in the yard for as long as he wants.

I think he's going on his first hunting trip this weekend, which will be a lot of fun for him.

Really happy that he's making progress, it makes me feel good about my decision.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

Leave the sweater as is. It's avantgarde fashion.

flac  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What is a post you have made that didn't get the discussion you were hoping for?

I added this as an addendum to a Pubski a while ago, and no-one bit.

I was teaching the preschoolers to say "I love you" in spanish, and then "I love you forever". A kid asked what the difference was, I told him. He asked what forever means, I told him. Then he asked "where does the love go when you die?", and after a while of not having any idea how to answer, I said "you keep it with you".

What would you say?

FirebrandRoaring  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

"You share it with the world, all of it. A bit of how much you loved someone goes to each person around you".

People see if you're a loving person, and your love inspires others.

In a way, you never really die: your essence is there, forever, in ideas people got from your existence, an influence on the world.

snoodog  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

It stays with you where ever you are :) that covers all possibilities of what "you" actually means.

blackbootz  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

What would I tell a preschooler? Hoo, boy. I have no idea. I'm terrible at guessing or even intuiting where a child is along the developmental schedule when I interact with them. Three years old... can you talk? Ok, can you read? What about an eight year old, are they still pathologically selfish? Oh, that's only boys? Et cetera.

I would probably say that the love stays with those who are survived by the dead. It accretes and ossifies... ok, those words are probably above a preschooler. I'd say something like Love is indivisible. Do they know fractions?

Good on preschool teachers.