We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
flac's comments
flac  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 241st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

The only music I've heard this week has been children's music at the preschool. Specifically, from an album by this band:

The Laurie Berkner Band - 5 Days Old

I think I like it? It's no Rafi.

How many times did I hear "Let it Go" this week? 10.

It makes it better that I automatically add the A$AP Ferg parts from this mashup everytime I hear the song.

rd95  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I tried singing "Baby Beluga" to Dala yesterday. She looked at me like I'm an idiot. Apparently, her parents opted out of raising her on children's artists and instead started her at a young age with a steady diet of AC/DC, Led Zepplin, and Black Sabbath. No wonder she's cooler than me . . .

flac  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dog Owners of Hubski: Indoor Exercise Advice?

Thank you, Dala!

The Kong is a godsend, and I love the idea of hiding the treats around the house! He really likes digging, so I'm thinking of building a little sandpit for him in the yard and hiding treats and chewtoys in it. Luckily, my landlords are incredible, and they've been helping me re-fit our yard to be more dog friendly for him. Pretty soon, I'm going to feel comfortable leaving him in the yard when I'm home.

Dala  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Our mutty girl is also a rescue who was an adult dog when we got her. Our experience has been that she has mellowed out quite a bit since we have had her - it may take awhile for him to realize that you are his people and hopefully when he does he will chill out a bit. Our dog was fairly anxious at the beginning, especially the first few weeks/months. Take things slow with your new guy and he should relax some as he begins to trust you more.

Thank you so much, I really truly appreciate it.

He is such a good boy, especially for a rescue - he doesn't beg for scraps, he's housebroken, and he's good with people (and yes, gorgeous - expect more pics in this week's pubski!). I'm happy that he just has dog aggression - it's a much more manageable issue than him hating people.

Re: thing nine - I've been stopping by the local pet store every day since I got him, and I've found them to be incredibly helpful and reassuring. They offer free classes on training once a week, and I plan on going to just about all of them.

flac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your killer smoothie?

I make one smoothie. I make it almost every morning. I make it well, I make it consistently.

I've been spending a year or so figuring out how to make the best kale smoothie I can - how to break down the kale well, how to balance out the flavors. I find that the two most important flavors to add to the kale are sweetness and a citric component.

So, here's how I do it. This is all done with a Nutribullet because it's what I've got, not sure what the actual measurements are, I just do it all visually.

Smoothie-oothie-ooth

1. Grab you some kale. It should be cold. If possible, it should be de-stemmed, though I don't consider that essential. Grab enough to fill the large nutribullet container halfway, loosely packed. Add water to cover the kale.

2. Blend this for about a minute. This is the part where you just beat the shit out of the kale to get it to your desired consistency - for me, the smoother and more finely processed, the better.

Optional step: sometimes I add almonds to this. I do it at this point, and blend like a motherfucker. Nothing worse in a smoothie than choking on grainy almond meal.

3. Add the remaining components: 1 frozen banana, preferably halfed. 2-3 large frozen strawberries - I don't like to add much more than this, but I do like the tartness that they add. 5 or 6 frozen pineapple chunks - this is the essential part. I find pineapple to be the ideal citric fruit to balance out the kale. If you're going to skip any part of this recipe, make it the strawberry. The banana and pineapple are, IMO, essential.

4. Add some water and blend. The amount of water added is up to taste - I like smoothies with a bit of thickness to them, but still easily drinkable.

--------

Optional changes: swap kale out for spinach, though I find this to make the smoothie too...frothy. I'm also a slow drinker, and I find that there is more separation between the solid/liquid components with spinach, leading to me just drinking some solid leaves.

Add almond milk instead of water. I don't love the taste of this personally, and would add more pineapple to counteract the added basic taste.

flac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 16, 2017

Starting as a paid employee at pre-k this week, about 2 weeks earlier than I expected. This frees up a little money in my budget for this month, which means two things: more money spent on getting the Etsy started, and more importantly: I am now looking for a puppy. Going to check some shelters this weekend with my partner.

------------

Speaking of Etsy:

Bought a kid's dress shirt pattern yesterday, so anyone with fancy kids can have a cute animal shirt soon too ;) Probably going to be $30 for those.

-------------

Going to my first open mic of the past 3 months tonight. This will be the second time I've played in public in Portland. I somewhat suspect it will go better this time...

lil  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you playing in public is anything like you playing anywhere, it will be great. Good luck.

flac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 16, 2017

I just about shat my pants when I saw this, because Wednesday this week is my first day of work and I would already be about 2 hours late for it if it were Wednesday.

flac  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Let's talk e-readers. Do you have one? Do you like it?

Every few weeks, I keep re-reading the first 5 pages of 1Q84 (which, as an aside, I have always pronounced as kyew-teen-eighty-four, which seems to be wrong?). I've read the whole book once before, and I want to re-read it, but it's just so much book.

The book that I last finished of his was Wild Sheep Chase, and the book that I started reading on my plane ride back here was Kafka on the Shore. In all honestly, I probably won't finish it until the next time I travel.

Isherwood  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

I never read one queue eight four. I read the wind up bird chronicles years ago and decided that was probably the only really long murikami I needed in my life.

I did just finish Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, which was good, but my favorite is still Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

flac  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Let's talk e-readers. Do you have one? Do you like it?

I've had a kindle Paperwhite for about 3 years. I use it for one thing, which is reading through my massive amount of pirated Discworld/Haruki Murakami books while traveling. All I want it to be able to do is carry a shit ton of books, and allow me to read them for a long time. The e-ink display is very visible and its low energy impact lets me use it for a ton of time. I like it a lot for this specific task.

I think the problem that I will always have with Kindles (or any e-reader, for that matter), is that there is no good way for me to share a copy - specifically, my copy - of a well loved book with a friend. Reading is and has always been a largely social activity for me, in that I get more joy out of discussing a book with a friend who has read it than simply reading it on my own. I love sharing an unknown book with a friend, especially if they really enjoy it. E-readers tend to actively discourage that, if not sterilize the process.

I like having to explain why my copy of Invisible Cities has bite marks on it, or talking about which short stories I have dog-eared in Palm of the Hand Stories. My copy of Emerson's collected works is at least 50% underlined/highlighted at this point, and I wouldn't want to read it any other way.

I think that there is so much about e-readers that is better - on paper, at least. If I viewed reading as a more isolated activity, I think I would like it more.

weewooweewoo  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Invisible Cities was the first book I put on my Kindle Paperwhite. I remember I got the actual device for ludicrously cheap on ebay, and it felt like a magical device that would change my life. I dreamed about the possibility of keeping an entire stash of comfort books on the device. I mainly kept the device in the car, for days parked alongside the Alaskan highway reading in the sun, because I am a person who enjoys possibilities more than experiencing things.

There is a line from a story by Camus where a bookshop owner says "History shows, that the more people buy books, the less they read." I don't think I ever read in the car, or even used it for the first year I had it. I had a lot of fun using Calibre and using Google-fu to try to pirate the books I wanted to read- I didn't have a private tracker invite or anything special, and it feels as though the pirate world for epubs and mobis is the least developed and the most treacherous. I'm pretty sure it's because libraries already do a good job of filesharing.

Here's when I finally read with it: while in trains, greyhounds, and airplanes. It's the only place where reading is an isolated activity, and the perhaps the only time when I don't feel guilty about enjoying my time. I'm always surprised at how quickly time passes. It just occurred to me that this is probably the part of traveling that I enjoy the most, and I should probably embrace this.

That said, I am someone who has trouble reading books, period. I joke to myself that I only read to fuck interesting people, and the longer I think about it the better I get at convincing myself that it's actually true. I am a person who enjoys possibilities more than experiencing things.

tacocat  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

That first paragraph is kinda my experience. If you aren't picky you can find a ton of stuff. Classics of course and just odds and ends in volume you can sift through. There's an open directory search Google hack I can't remember the syntax for. Would probably work well to Ok. Issuu is a site I use. Kinda. It's hit or miss. I don't entirety grasp their goal but it's an interesting idea if nothing else from what I've seen.

Thank you for reading Tacocat's tips for digital theft. Epub edition.

Isherwood  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

What murakami book are you on?

flac  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Isherwood  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Isherwood  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
flac  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 9, 2017

Sewing shit

Some shirts I made last week. This is the first time I've done any sewing in about 3 months.

One of my favorite shirts I've ever made. Really well executed and lovely design.

Pretty fine lines, kind of hard to see the print - it's umbrellas and rain. Been wanting to make this one since when it actually rained here.

b-b-b-branding! Bought these labels in December and have never used them.

---------------------

When I was back on the east coast this past week, I met a friend's fiance - a woodworker who has made enough to afford a downpayment on a house just through selling things on Etsy. I talked with her all night about logistics and how to dip my toes into selling clothes online, and I think I am finally going to give this a shot. I have no work the next 3 weeks until preschool starts, and I have the fabric to make about 10 shirts. I think I'm going to make those, work on putting together a passable site, and see how those 10 shirts sell. I'll be timing myself throughout this process just to get a better idea of how long specific tasks take me, and figure out whether it's best to do tasks in bulk, or make an entire shirt at once.

If it seems like it's worth the time and energy, I'll start spending about 10 hours a week (or more, but that should be about 3 well done shirts a week) working on clothes to sell - I don't see it as a main job anytime in the forseeable future, but it could be a solid source of additional funds.

Speaking of which, the price that I am thinking of starting at for shirts is $40 for a basic short sleeve shirt (like the bee shirt above). For an additional $5, you can get one/two pockets, or a Mandarin collar (as seen in the umbrella shirt). For an additional $10, you can make it long sleeved (though I honestly may not consider this as an option for now, just because the shirts I am pre-making for sale will all be short sleeved). I would like to eventually move the base price higher so that I can consistently afford higher quality fabric, but $40 seems reasonable to me for now.

Keep an eye out, hoping to have the Etsy live by the end of the month.

rd95  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Keep an eye out, hoping to have the Etsy live by the end of the month.

Dude. Can't wait.

Also, I was listening to some random version of Heartache by the Number on the radio the other day and I found myself wondering how you'd end up singing it. If you ever took requests for songs, that'd be mine. ;)

Isherwood  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Do you do long sleeve shirts? I want one of these!

OftenBen  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Seriously, flac please let us know when you're entering production, I would LOVE one of those umbrella/rain shirts for work.

flac  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 2, 2017

Waylaid in Cincinnati, hopefully ending up back in CT tonight.

Made two shirts this week, but I don't feel like downloading the imgur app to my phone, so they'll be up later. Quite happy with both of them, and glad to be sewing again. First time in about 3 months.

flac  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 26, 2017

I send my regrets for you having to hang out in my home state! (There are, admittedly, some nice parts, particularly along the coast).

Where in CT are you? Any chance you'lll be there in a week? I'm heading back for a visit on Aug. 2nd.

elizabeth  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

In Hartford for the night but driving to Providence tomorrow. I think by aug 2 i'll be around Boston - I basically move every day and it can be really hard to plan. I thought I was done with that part of the US, moved on and just got 2 more projects added in New Jersey and one in New Canaan, CT.

Where in CT are you based? Might not be that far...

flac  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 26, 2017

Luckily, I'm starting to build up a sort of immunity to the sound, so it's getting a bit better. Still, I wish there was at least something I could do with the fallen apples .

I grew up with a crab apple tree. We made jelly.

It was as if someone made beautiful, home-made cherry jelly that tasted like brass pickles.

thenewgreen  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

I laughed out loud when I read "brass pickles."

flac  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 26, 2017

Everything in my life right now is great, with one exception:

this fucking crab apple tree that is positioned right over my roof.

There are no fewer than 100 crab apples scattered throughout my yard at the moment, which in and of itself would not be a problem; it's how they get there that is driving me insane.

Every time there is a strong wind, I hear a heavy thump on the roof, some rolling, and then something hitting my chain link fence. It's woken me up the past 4 nights because I keep thinking someone is outside my house or something. The first night I couldn't connect the sound to the apples, so I was getting really paranoid. Now I know what it is, but it seems that this is just the beginning - whole lot of apples left on the tree...

thenewgreen  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is one of those things that seems funny and light hearted in nature. ...UNLESS it's happening to you.

Sleep is important. I been going months now without enough and recently resolved to fix this.

flac  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

I grew up with a crab apple tree. We made jelly.

thenewgreen  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

I laughed out loud when I read "brass pickles."

Sorry, this comment is private.
flac  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Kells - Keep in Touch EP (it's that thing flac's been working on!)

Thank you, hope you like it!

steve  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·