flac's comments
flac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 6, 2017

This combines my two great knitting fears: lace, and comically lightweight thread. Props to you.

flac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 6, 2017

Mostly, yes. I started it at the end of college, and just knit scarves. It was totally mindless, and worked well to help me focus. I've always been antsy, which is why I make so much stuff. If you like making stuff with your hands, odds are you'll like knitting.

My suggestion would be to get a big, thick ball of cheap yarn (not too dark or it'll be hard to see the stitches), find a pair of needles, and knit some kind of rectangle. Don't worry about following a pattern, or counting stitches, just get a feel for the tactility of knitting and see if it works for you.

Tomorrow's my day off, I'll upload some links to tutorials and stuff - YouTube is how I learned to knit, I found the visual nature of it really clarified the techniques for me.

Personally, I find knitting very satisfying, and a nice combination of several of my interests. Math, design, craft, hand stuff. It's now something I'll usually do instead of reaching for my phone - not consciously, it's just naturally more interesting to me most of the time.

I'm really good at knitting in near-darkness now because I knit while I'm sitting guard during naptime at the pre-school. There's something very meditative and immersive about just counting stitches with your fingertips, feeling your way along the row. There's a movie theater near me that has $4 tickets, and I go see a random movie a few times a week and just knit as well as I can in the darkness. I usually end up with a somewhat lumpy scarf or blanket at the end of it.

Anyway, I think it's a good way to spend your time. If I could play video games, make music, or read while knitting, I would probably never leave the house again.

Dala  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I started off using books and I was easily able to get to the knit stitch but it wasn't until I quit trying to learn from a book and started watching videos that I finally figured out how to purl, so I definitely endorse the YouTube method of learning to knit. My mom taught me to crochet when I was a kid so I can easily learn new stitches by reading instructions now so I thought I could do knitting the same way, but nope.

I do other making (jewelry, etc.) but fiber arts are my favorite because I can take them with me easily. I have little projects all over the house, in my bag, at work.

They make lighted crochet hooks... I wonder if they have needles as well? You couldn't do that in the theater of course, but naptime they might be useful.

flac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 6, 2017

Yeah, I plan on using mine until it's all gone, and then composting the bones after christmas. Once I'm living somewhere a little longer, I like the idea of planting a new one every year.

flac  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 29, 2017

Thanks!

Yeah, I too had a realization that most of knitting wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

I used a cheap aran weight yarn from Joann's fabrics for the white mitten, and a nice local alpaca wool for the hat - I have the specific name spmewhere if you want it.

flac  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 6, 2017

Some very localized cheer.

I can't stop knitting these fucking christmas ornaments. I'm up to around 3 a day now.

Also on the "tree" (which is a rosemary bush this year): 2 silver stars that came with the tea-based advent calendar I have, and a CVS snowman from 1998. I brought this all the way from home over a year ago.

My siblings and I always got a new ornament every year when we were growing up, usually some little handcrafted thing or a pretty sculptural doodad. In 1998, my mom had 3 little boys, and was pregnant with a 4th kid, so she was a touch preoccupied. My dad got these on Christmas at CVS when he realized he forgot the ornaments (or rather, when I realized and started crying hysterically).

There's something about it I find comforting and oddly charming.

-----------

Other things are happening, mostly related to moving, but I'm pretty happy on the whole.

UPDATE: Made a Hubski ornament, if anyone wants it, let me know. Happy to send it to you, just cover the shipping. Will gladly make more if others want one.

goobster  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I LOVE the idea of a rosemary bush for a tree!!

But rosemary grows like a weed up here, so I'd be stuck with a GIANT BUSH in my yard at some point.

Or... umm... actually, another giant rosemary bush in my yard.

So I'll just admire yours.

Trader Joe's sells 'em every year. I've tried planting 'em twice; they're like some hothouse SoCal rosemary and they die like a mutherfucker so buy with abandon.

flac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

blackbootz  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is knitting a form of relaxation to you? I would love a new hobby for home that keeps my hands busy. I bite my nails or play on my laptop, neither of which I need more of in my life.

flac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dala  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dala  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I knit and crochet. It has many uses for me: relaxation, something to do with my hands so my brain can focus on watching a movie/tv/stuff like that, the satisfaction of making something with my own two hands, being able to give very special gifts to certain people who will appreciate them.

I learned to crochet a long time ago and it took me several tries to learn to knit. There are a lot of different ways to hold the needles and yarn, if you want to try, I suggest watching a few different videos, throwing and picking styles, to see which feels more comfortable.

_refugee_  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I knit too, and have dabbled in most of the common fiber arts, if you're ever curious or want to get started or what-have-you.

Knitting + TV time is wonderful. I often feel sick of myself if I just marathon TV idly; it's so unproductive, and physically stagnant. But if I am knitting, I can enjoy television a lot more. Plus it is functional, and once you're sick to death of scarves for yourself, you can just start giving scarves to friends.

I am the opposite of Dala, knitter first and that is where my strength lies as opposed to crocheting. I have a very difficult time keeping an even row when I crochet. Or used to have, anyway, haven't bothered in a long time.

_refugee_  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think I shared a picture of this WIP with hubski but maybe I didn't and if I did for sure it was a long long time ago and there were no knitters around to appreciate.

This is the craziest WIP I ever started and don't think I'll ever work on again, but can't ever bear to throw out or get rid of. Because just look at it, yo. The needles are unmarked, but I think they are 00 or 000.

flac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dala  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
Dala  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

long whistle

I would not blame you at all for just finishing that up with a lot of stockinette. Heck I wouldn't even fault you for ending it with garter and just calling it a day. I don't know that I will ever be that ambitious, but it looks beautiful!

Eta: disregard deleted comments. Kept telling me it didn't post my comment, but did. Heh.

flac  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 29, 2017

At home sick today. These damn preschoolers are diiiisgusting. Anyway, more time for knitting and games.

Knitting

Matching Hat/A mitten

I learned cabling recently, made the hat from this pattern. Not sure whether I'm going to make another mitten to match this one, started on another pair. This was the first mitten I've made, it's got some structural problems (and, uh, the pattern is actually on the inside of the mitten because I made it upside down).

Honeycomb mittens

EDIT: Mitten 1 finished.

Dala, just realized I never responded to your knitting - it looks awesome! Some really beautiful colors, and the lace is great.

sgeorge  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

I really like that hat! (I'm primarily a hat knitter, and cables on hats make me so happy.) Took me a long time to build up the courage to try cabling, but like much of my knitting adventures I realized that I was psyching myself up for something that isn't really all that scary at all.

For both projects, what yarn did you use?

flac  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks!

Dala  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! The lace started out really frustrating until I figured out that I was trying to do my yarn over backwards for some reason. I'm pretty excited to see what it will look like once it's blocked out, even though I probably won't finish it anytime soon. I'm loving that honeycomb mitten, I keep seeing things made with the honeycomb pattern and I love the look. I hope to be confident enough to tackle it soon.

I've heard there's a way to do a pair of things on circular needles in knitting. I don't know how that works as the only things I have ever made as pairs were crocheted.

flac  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 8, 2017

Here's the video I used to learn brioche, I think it's actually pretty easy once you have it set up. The scarf is knit using just one repeating row, you should give it a shot!

Here's a good finger knitting video - I've used it to make a hat, but you can use it to make any roughly circular object you want. A bonus is that, because of how tactile the process is, you can fingerknit without looking once you've got a bit of practice. I actually knit (one of) those legwarmers while watching a movie at my local theater. My next finger knitting project is a Haramaki, AKA a belly warmer.

I'd love to see what you're working on! And also puppy pictures.

Sorry, this comment is private.
flac  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 8, 2017

Dala, some knitting.

A hat, made with this pattern. Probably the most complex knitting I've done so far.

Some fingerknit leg warmers.

Half a scarf. Brioche knit.

---------------------------

I've started working 35 hours a week at the preschool. That is too long. 9 hours today, 13 kids.

---------------------------

I'm 23 today.

veen  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

Congrats! I just turned 24 this week. I still feel like I'm 19 though.

kantos  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Happy Belated! Holy crap, I always imagined you and flac in y'all's later twenties. More peers on here than I thought.

thenewgreen  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

Happy birthday, youngster. Your knitting work is awesome. I dig the hat.

Dala  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Happy Birthday!

I love that hat. I have not knitted any hats yet but I have purchased yarn with the intent to turn it into a hat, actually I have a couple of balls of yarn with knitted hat plans attached them.

Yay legwarmers! I have yet to make any myself, but I have a few pairs that I have bought, mainly from sock dreams. I admit that I am not familiar with the term fingerknit. Is that somehow doing knitting with your hands but no needles?

I really like the color of the brioche scarf. That is a technique I have heard of but not tried, it seems like it is maybe more difficult than I am ready for.

I will have to take some pics of the stuff I am working on and post them for you later. Right now I have a 42lb mutt who thinks she's a lap dog making sure I don't need any legwarmers for the moment. XD

flac  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd love to see what you're working on! And also puppy pictures.

kantos  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Happy Birthday!!

mk  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Happy Prime Birthday!

OftenBen  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

Happy Birthday flac!

Sorry, this comment is private.
flac  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 1, 2017

I'll probably upload a bunch of pictures next pubski, a bunch of them are halfway completed.

Thank you, me too!

Dala  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'll show you my WIPs if you show me yours, lol! I don't care if they're complete, it's fun to see in progress shots just as much as finished pieces.

Sorry, this comment is private.
flac  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 1, 2017

Sure!

I grew up right next to a Shakesperean theater in CT. It's massive, I think it housed about 2000 or so audience members in its prime. Its shows starred Katherine Hepburn, Kelsey Grammer, Christopher Walken, and a whole bunch of other folks throughout its many years of theater. As a side note, the house my family lives in now used to be an inn that the actors at the theater would stay at during their residency. Probably some interesting ghosts futzing about.

The theater shut down for good the week after my family moved next door to it. It's been closed ever since.

There's always been a big community push to try and have it re-opened, or at least to have theater done on its premises. My brother's big passion in life was acting, and my parents (and some real rich friends) made a memorial non-profit theater academy in his honor a few years ago, and have been doing theater every summer on the grounds [EDIT FOR CLARITY: the literal grounds. as in the grass outside] of the theater. This summer will be the 5th year it's been around.

The gist of it is that 14 or so college-aged actors live in our house for 6 weeks, go through an intensive series of classes on theater-making and put up 2 shakespeare shows in repertory at the end of the program. Other buzz-words include "site-specific" (meaning we usually put up shows in the woods) and "ensemble-based". Basically, the goal is, by the end of the program, to teach students how to go out and make theater on their own, from acting and directing to booking spaces and getting publicity.

As you can imagine, putting 14 college-aged students into one house for 6 weeks can lead to some problems. My job, for the first three summers, was to take care of those problems. I was the cook, cleaner, therapist, bike-fixer, and general handyman for the company. Additionally, I was asked to write, perform, and record music for the shows (which I actually had a lot of fun with), and helped construct the stages and do whatever general work needed doing.

Last year was the first summer I wasn't around to help. It was a slight disaster. The shows went up, but the students were constantly fighting and discontent, and spent almost every night getting completely trashed. We rely pretty heavily on previous students' word of mouth to get prospective new students interested, but I suspect that may not work so well this year. I'm coming back this summer in part to make sure things get back on track, and also to figure out what exactly my job was, and how to hire another person to do it permanently.

I'd be happy to PM you a link to the program's site if you're interested!