We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
elizabeth's comments
elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

Finally switched to summer tires this weekend!

Replaced the rusty back door while we were at it (bought it last year at the scrap). But the handle where the key's supposed to go rusted through too, so we'll have to make another trip to the scrap before hooking up the door completely.

Fixed the front glovebox, hoping if would stop that knocking noise when we break, but we drove around wihtout the glovebox for a few days and the noise was still there... a mystery I don't know if I want to solve honestly.

elizabeth  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: An overanalysis of Melania Trump via her twitter photos

yeah, not the takeaway I expected from reading this at all :P

elizabeth  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The French Election Is Way Too Close To Call

Macron vs Le Pen for 2nd round it is!

So in conclusion, influencers are bullshitters? What else is new? Massive explosion of little fidget toys lately. I don't know who came up with that, but it's been spreading like a virus...

It's a really clever campaign actually - props to carrot for thinking of that! I think most people will hear the intended message that Suave is not such a crappy shampoo after all (until they buy and test it out). It's funny how they say in the interview they don't want to go for the premium market despite the fact this experiment has proven they could sell their shampoo at premium prices. Yeah right - more like you know your shampoo won't make it cause it's shitty.

I think what's new is the fact that "influencers" no longer go through any sort of vetting process and they no longer have any monetization/incentive structure that keeps them impartial. We're talking about reviewers, basically, and once upon a time you needed to have the ear of the King or a column in the broadsheet or a 4-minute segment on the local news or something but that is no longer the case and as such, you no longer have the largesse of the king or a per-word fee from the broadsheet or a dayrate from the local news so swag is effectively 100% of the motivation for doing your job and that's a change that's happened behind the scenes without the audience noticing.

Suave's advertising approach has long been "like the salon shit but cheap" so I think this was a natural fit for them but you're right - the reason they've always been the choice of uncaring cheapskates everywhere is you don't have to use much of it to determine it ain't great. I mean, I've got some Tresemme conditioner in my hair right now and it feels as if my hair is made out of depleted uranium the shit is so heavy. Suave? Ferget it.

elizabeth  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: We made a video for Forever Labs -- I dig it.

Awesome! Looks like you thought of everything :)

I was wondering - is there a way to multiply those cells in the future? I just imagine i'd be pretty sad if the cells run out, exactly when i would need them the most

mk  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, there is, and that is the plan. You can expand what we collect to exceed the number of cells in your own body. It's my plan to expand both my blood/immune-building hematopoietic stem cells and my bone/connective tissue-building mesenchymal stem cells to ridiculous numbers, and then to freeze those in many individual chambers.

As it stands, we store your cells in 3 large chambers, and 4-5 small ones, so that you can draw up a fraction of them without thawing the rest.

elizabeth  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome! Looks like you thought of everything :)

elizabeth  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: An overanalysis of Melania Trump via her twitter photos

I actually really like the composition of her photos of Barron :)

InkBubble  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

A lot of these photos are actually really nice. Perhaps she picked up a photographic eye from photographers she worked with during her modeling career.

elizabeth  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

yeah, not the takeaway I expected from reading this at all :P

elizabeth  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 19, 2017

Looove those red bricks!

Can't wait for that album, I really enjoy your music!

Living that job-free independant life is getting harder with the bank account dwindling. (thankfully, airBNB season is coming to save me a little). Last push until September, working on various side-project but if nothing gives, i'll start looking at some part-time gigs. Otherwise, i'll look like a lazy person doing nothing for 2 years on my CV, and it's honestly getting a little frustrating how may projects have basically been stuck on the same level for a while. I think I'm just not working hard enough, but motivation has been lacking lately. Got to put some systems in place to be more productive.

haha thanks! It did get me about 20 new subscribers - but just being featured was cool :)

elizabeth  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what have you been watching lately?

I've just into watching it recently too! Super impressed by their resourcefulness, and I love the characters :)

elizabeth  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: MeetUpSki Location Location Location

Mid-June to Mid-July we'll be in Ukraine (but maybe gonna fly in through some other city, still looking for good plane tickets)

All the rest of summer in Montreal - is anyone planning to visit? (we got really cool festivals!!!)

Might do a cross-america roadtrip in August/September if we manage to get ticket to burning man after all.

elizabeth  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 12, 2017

for sure - maybe it's asking too much but i don't want to color correct everything, i'd like to live in a space that's just always video-ready in case i want to film a 3 minute thing. my camera does a good job at white balancing most of the time too - i think the problem with my previous incandescents was that they just weren't bright enough. footage looked like shit even after all my efforts to color correct (but i'm no pro either). And they did produce some weird bands if I was at 24fps.

C'mon now. Color-balancing should be the first thing you do when you whip out the camera. It should take you under 30 seconds. And you should be color-balancing your productions the minute you're done with the edit. You know better to assume that you're going to get consistent lighting out of anything but an isolated studio environment.

I work on a soundstage where the lights have literally been hung for eleven years. We still calibrate everything every month and color-balance the cameras every time we turn them on. Don't be lazy.

elizabeth  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 12, 2017

hahah i think i showed this writeup to all my audio-enclined friends. It's hilarious!

urgh, i guess it's back to regular incandescent lightbulbs for me then, i think i'll find less yellowy ones and more powerful this time. Really trying to figure out this whole lighting situation without shelling out on a proper studio set up. There must be something i can screw into my chandelier that doesn't flicker and look like shit on video :(

There's nothing wrong with incandescents. If they look yellow that means you need to color balance. Shoot a white card and set that as your white point and suddenly everything will look fine.

If you're trying to do this with practical lighting, those heinous yellowy torchiere bulb work lights will do just fine. You just need to set the color balance to match.

elizabeth  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·