We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
elizabeth's comments
elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 11, 2016

I've been going every week to this creative group, where every month we pick a theme and try to learn about it and come up with a project. That's how I learned how to crochet and made a hat a couple months back. This month, we're doing Gin/Flavoured Vodka. Made 4 different bottles yesterday (0,5L each) and now we let it sit for 48h. For the Gin, apparently all you need is to add juniper berries to vodka for 24h. We'll see how it all tastes in the end!

Here's the photos of what we put in each bottle: http://imgur.com/a/W2HZB

elizabeth  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump - Will it be awful? Will it be successful? What are your predictions?

Eh, I bet they do it because it fits well in some corporate checklist and it's easily quantifiable. You don't see that many corporations active on reddit (in an official way, not saying they're not trying to sneak in corporate shills) in comparison.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

That might be because Twitter is faceless (it has no identity of its own) and tolerates even worst of humanity's traits being published uncensored. Facebook is similarly faceless: it, like Twitter, is just a platform to post stuff.

Reddit, on the other hand, is a subculture with defined traits, one of which is disdain/hatred for corporations. Posting there is as much political (in the sense of being defined by common external interest - Zeitgeist, in this instance) as it is personal.

elizabeth  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Stickers in the states

Nope, haven't washed my hands since that picture.

Hubski's been here since before the start of #elizabethtravels ;) It's always cool when I remember to take the stickers with me!

Damn, Can't believe I didn't know. Would have gone looked them up.

elizabeth  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump - Will it be awful? Will it be successful? What are your predictions?

Yeah, I don't mean they are bots, I mean it's probably people automatically following back everybody, without caring about the content.

OftenBen  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

They don't have to care about the content. He's looking for followers, he's getting followers. That's a form of currency.

Yeah, I've noticed that already. Most my twitter feed looks like people shouting in the void, hoping someone will click on their link. It's a spammer's paradise.

The thing about twitter, is that corporations take it very seriously. So it's my go-to place to go vent any frustrations I have.

And tweet at some minot celebrities in hopes to attract their attention.

And spongebob memes.

I have a friend that's been branding himself a "growthhacker" and his twitter is basically automated, replying to people, re-tweeting, re-posting. He's gaining followers by the minute but how many of these people are even real? So useless...

goobster  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

but how many of these people are even real?

And this is the key thing. Once you start digging into Twitter, you find that there are isolated pockets of users who are very active. Black Twitter. Customer Service. Affinity circles.

But more than 80% of the activity on Twitter is never seen by human eyes.

The people who actually use Twitter as a communications medium use it as a tertiary or even fourth-level platform.

Twitter is already an afterthought.

Trump's presence and bloviating will further diminish the last remnants of "business tool" sheen that Twitter has, and it will slide quickly into irrelevance. See: MySpace.

elizabeth  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

The thing about twitter, is that corporations take it very seriously.

Don't they do it because of how ubiquitous Twitter is in many people's lives? The same thing happens on Facebook now, with companies replying to real people who comment on what they've posted.

Point is - corporations will find an Internet social communication apparatus; the name doesn't matter.

elizabeth  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Everyone's twitter is basically automated. "corporations take it very seriously" means that there are keywords and metrics and they can measure if your hate-fest about their bad customer service gets retweeted enough for them to give a shit. But that's about it.

Seriously. get up on Hootsuite and create some original content with keywords in it. You'll gain about a dozen followers in an hour. Keep it up and you'll gain an extra dozen every time you post. None of them are human - they're automated bots to add to link networks. I forget the statistic but if you have over 100 followers you're in the top 1% of Twitter users.

I can't wait for it to die.

OftenBen  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

He's gaining followers by the minute

It doesn't really matter if they are real or not. They don't have to be real, they just have to be active.

elizabeth  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

elizabeth  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I have absconded from rehab

Seconded what TNG said, you're definitely not a horrible person. Stay strong, Hubski's rooting for you <3

elizabeth  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 4, 2017

ewwww!!!

it sounds so gross I might just try it.

1h50 walk from the strip... it's actually not that bad! I figured I'd get bored after a day which is why i'm looking for suggestions :) I'll go check out that fremont street, I hear there are good tacos nearby.

elizabeth  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 4, 2017

Not really, I don't think I'm even allowed to rent a car before 25 (and I don't think I'd feel comfortable driving alone anyway). Anything Uber-able or within public transport reach is cool! It's just 4 days anyway, just want to make the best of it :)

My boyfriend got an all expenses paid trip to Vegas next month for 4 day. I'll tag along but will probably have free time alone during the day while they do the conferency things.

Anyone got recommendations on cool things to do? Was thinking of taking the lyft to the actually city at least once, to visit at weird tiki bar: https://www.facebook.com/FrankiesTiki

Would love some suggestions on more fun things to do there apart from gambling.

goobster  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

The best night I ever had in Vegas was at a punk dive bar way off the strip called the Double Down Saloon.

Definitely punk and disorderly.

Their cheapest drink is "Ass Juice", which is just basically all the leftover drinks dumped into a bucket. When you order an Ass Juice they just pour a shot from the bucket.

...yeeeah...

elizabeth  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

ewwww!!!

it sounds so gross I might just try it.

I hate Vegas so much.

Here's the thing - if you're on the Strip you're seeing Disneyland Vegas. They work really, really hard to make sure you only see Disneyland Vegas. Actual Vegas is a bit of a drive. If you want to see Nicholas Cage/Elizabeth Shue Vegas, head down to the Former Ponderosa and start walking around.

Wander down Fremont street and look for pawn shops. That shithole they turned into Pawn Stars is down there somewhere; I'll bet it's changed since TV. It used to feel like Mos Eisley Spaceport.

Find yourself some nickel slots and walk through them. See all the blue-hairs bleeding their lives away five cents at a time.

Most of all, experience it on foot. Vegas is designed to be seen from the back seat of a car; when you experience it by sidewalk you experience it without artifice. It's a howling vortex of window air conditioners.

elizabeth  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

flagamuffin  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

do you have any way of getting out of vegas? there are several things within driving distance that are billions of times more interesting

elizabeth  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

elizabeth  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 3 Questions with @kleinbl00

OH damn, I did! I just forgot they existed for a moment. Time to give it a re-listen :)

elizabeth  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 28, 2016

elizabeth  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The State of Hubski: 2016

Half is better than nothing eh? I like to contribute what I can :)

kantos  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Agreed! Threw in a last pitch before the clock turned here. Looks like the bar's been reset for 2017 as well.