We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
elizabeth's comments
Sorry, this comment is private.
elizabeth  ·  16 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 28, 2017

Cool! I'll probably be in the area in a month or two, I'll message you then

blackbootz  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·

If you're in Maryland mid September, you might join us!

Sorry, this comment is private.
elizabeth  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 28, 2017

Awesome! How does your schedule look for next week? I will probably be around this part of the country :)

I'll probably be driving through next week Wednesday or Thursday. I'll PM you, we can at least meet for coffee! :)

elizabeth  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 28, 2017

Flying to Atlanta tomorrow! Gonna get that car and start driving up. Anyone on the east coast?

War  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I'm in Jersey let me know.

elizabeth  ·  16 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Cool! I'll probably be in the area in a month or two, I'll message you then

blackbootz  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·

If you're in Maryland mid September, you might join us!

Isherwood  ·  19 hours ago  ·  link  ·

If you're going through NC, we're in Durham and have a spare bed.

We'll be there tomorrow night, but we're going to be in the Appalachian Mountains doing hikes near Highlands NC for the rest of the long weekend.

elizabeth  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

thenewgreen  ·  19 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Depending on the day, I'm in North Carolina. Chapel Hill to be exact. You're most welcome to visit as long as I'm in town. Safe travels!

elizabeth  ·  18 hours ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Anyone on the east coast?

Buy me a TP scroll? It's only 50 gold. Gonna be there in four seconds (since you're already there).

elizabeth  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Amazon Says It Will Buy Whole Foods In $13.7 Billion Deal : The Two-Way : NPR

The first thing that came into my mind when I heard Amazon was buying whole foods was their video of the no checkout store, where the bill was just sent to your phone after. What's more whole foody than the fact you won't be able to shop there without the newest iPhone?

To me it's premium hippy market meets high tech solutions. Forget about the employees, we won't need them in 2 years. And who's more likely to be on board with weird innovative grocery solutions? Not mr 50 year old farmer dude that pays cash everywhere, that's for sure. Whole foods is the perfect test run before you open Amazon store.

Sorry, this comment is private.
elizabeth  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 14, 2017

tasty food

yes! i'm glad i wasnt the only one with that impression but after a month on the Balkans back in 14', all the food options in Ljubliana really made me happy :)

arguewithatree  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

one of my best friends when i was a kid is half slovenian and half croatian and introduced me to potica so i hunted it down while there. their layer cake too is top notch.

Huh. Today I learned!

Funny how it was the opposite way of what I was thinking. Not them mis-using internet words (which does happens in corporate settings) but us internetters hijacking a perfectly established word.

Trolling is an awesome way to fish. It involves beer, boats, and naps.

What's the maximum famouseness poets ever reached in the USA? As someone that grew up in french speaking Canada, I honestly have no idea. In russia, poets during their lifetime were mega famous at some point. Like celebrity level famous. Was there a period like that in US history too? Or were they all just famous amongst intellectuals and then just canonized to be taught at school?

Voznesensky’s generation of poets, which included Yevgeny Yevtushenko and Bella Akhmadulina, declaimed their work in sports stadiums to overflow crowds. A moment presented itself — the relative artistic freedom of the early Khrushchev era — and these poets pounced on the microphone. As Mr. Voznesensky put it, with a punk lip curl: “The times spat at me. I spit back at the times.”

The last American poet anyone ever gave a shit about was Robert Frost.

He died more than 50 years ago.

_refugee_  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Edna St. Vincent Millay enjoyed supposedly quite a lot of popularity among the "common people" in the 1920s and 1930s based on a biography of her which I read a while back. However, in discussing poetry and popularity with a poet or two here or there, I've been cautioned that even the accounts of her popular following from that time may be exaggerated, and that she wasn't quite as ubiquitous.

Here's an index to a book on the subject I found; it's JSTOR, so if any of you have free access and want to, might be worth it. (But I doubt any of us truly have the time?)

Sidenote I was at the marketing retreat at my new job today and they keep saying stuff like " we're constantly trolling for pictures of our product on instagram"."we're trolling all the time"

Has trolling acquired a new meaning? Cause they clearly meant browsing/searching.

Wintermute  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Trolling is a fishing-derived term that basically means browsing/searching in common English. After thinking about it for a moment, I'm not sure whether the internet-common term derives from a verbification of the noun "troll", a copting of the fishing term, or a combination of the two.

francopoli  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

elizabeth  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Huh. Today I learned!

Trolling is an awesome way to fish. It involves beer, boats, and naps.