We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
elizabeth's comments
elizabeth  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

What has/what will the recent "Me Too" social media campaign accomplish?

I believe the point is to showcase how widespread the problem is. That it’s not only limited to slutty Hollywood actresses, but perhaps your sister, classmates and best friends too. Hopefully some people will open their eyes, and say “bro that’s not cool“ next time their buddy cat calls someone?

The point is to start a conversation about respect. I don’t know if many minds will change, but perhaps seeing it as a society-wide problem VS an isolated one will help.

ButterflyEffect  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah, I think that's where we disagree. While that may be the point, I do not see this actually opening up a conversation. Where is the outlet for a conversation to start? There is a statement, and an awful one at that, but a status and a handful of comments on Facebook makes not a lasting, impactful conversation. The quote veen pulled out of Reclaiming Conversation (and there are many, many other applicable quotes) call into question if we are really making progress, truly conversing with one another. In a few months I think we will see if that is the case or not with the recent "Me Too" campaign.

oyster  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's not likely to have an impact on you because you aren't a creepy guy or a woman who has been harassed. I'm not sure if it makes a difference on a bigger scale but I know that it does make a difference to individuals. Sometimes talking about this stuff opens up a conversation off the internet as well. Sometimes being able to share something like that in even the vaguest details is incredibly cathartic especially for women who have struggled to even put words to what happened to them. It's common to jump back and forth between knowing you were assaulted and thinking you're just overreacting because others had it worse. So putting a statement like that out can mean a lot to individual women and it can mean a lot to the woman who resonates with it when the post has some more detail.

ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't disagree with you. But I also never said that it doesn't make a difference to the individual. I'm talking about actionable discussion or change on a larger scale and society/community wide, which you acknowledged. Two very different things.

oyster  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think it starts with individuals though and slowly becomes a more society wide change. Things don't change over night, people devote entire lifetimes to making small changes because it takes a while to really change society.

I mean Australia still hasn't legalized gay marriage. Progress is slow with or without technology. If anything I would say technology, or I guess the access to information it provides helps move things along faster.

ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well we can definitely say the internet helped push things along for Trump so maybe you're right.

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Something beautiful died tonight

Something beautiful died tonight: I have been to this restaurant since the first place I've been to the brunch spot in a long day of downtown Toronto...

I guess all I talk about is food?

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Balance Schmalance

As read inside a portapotty at burning man: everything in moderation. including moderation.

elizabeth  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone in Boston October 12-15?

of course!

I won't be back in Montreal until November actually :( That's too bad, would have loved to meet, even briefly.

lil  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

there will be another chance.

elizabeth  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

of course!

elizabeth  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 4, 2017

Had the best weekend ever atBuffer Festival and met a bunch of travel Youtubers. Also flew a drone into my face 15 minutes ago. I’ll be fine but it’s a bummer. I might have a scar and will have to explain to my boss that I’m an idiot in order to file the insurance claim.

elizabeth  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 27, 2017

As they say, you gotta make eggs to make an omelet!

Go for it man! You never know until you try. Worst case, you get an awesome life experience out of it. Best case, you trade in your paperclip for a house. Have fun!

I don’t know how I would have managed without our talks when I got this job :) I’m still no pro, but I think I’ve gotten a lot better in the last couple months! Kinda makes me want to buy myself some proper gear and photograph stuff for myself once I’m done - but the whole point of this job was to save up. Not shell out 4K on a camera and lenses once I’m done. I feel like I’ve inadvertently walked into a trap.

veen  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

(I'm still shooting an 8,5 year old entry level Rebel XTi)

(I'm still shooting a ten-year-old Canon 5D)

That’s a noble calling! Go for it - it’ certainly seems like a good way to practice and get better too.

elizabeth  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Target raises minimum wage to $11 an hour in fight to retain and recruit staff

I’ve read a similar thing about how walmart could potentially pay all they minimum wage employees 12$ if they only increased their prices by 1 cent on the dollar (or something like that, don’t remember the specifics). And what that didn’t take into account was all the pay raises and insatisfaction upstream of the manager that is paid 12.50. Or the dude that worked his way up to 11$. Or the guy in the office with a bachelor that started at 13$.

I mean, I guess good for target. They might just fire those 1/3 peeps that you could do without to calm down the investors. And then you’ll be at the same place you were before, but with more work... yeah fuck investors

elizabeth  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 20, 2017

Nice one! I bet it brightens a lot of peoples days :)

elizabeth  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 20, 2017

YES, that one!

In the meantime, my updated laptop stickers:

Was doing good, until I came back home last Friday and now I don't fucking want to go back on the road for the next 1.5 months. Summer is finally here in Canada with 30 degree weather and all my buddies going to the country house, building an extension to a good friends piece of shit cabin that we all love to visit.

But i'm an idiot for complaining. The job is fun, i'm traveling (meeting internet friends along the way sometimes - had a great time in LA <3, Who has our group picture again? ) , i'm making money and it's only 1,5 months.

insomniasexx  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

You mean the one where I avoid airhands by possessively asserting the patriarchy?

insomniasexx

elizabeth  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

YES, that one!

In the meantime, my updated laptop stickers:

Sorry, this comment is private.