We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
elizabeth's comments

That animation is really nice, and I like your daughter's taste in music :)

elizabeth  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New AHOY Video!! The Rocket Launcher

I know you listen to Hello Internet - and surely CGPGrey talking about his research process illustrates how hard it can be. There are entire production teams behind channels like Kurzgesagt. I think this style of videos are quite hard to produce honestly. I agree this one isn't great, but most stuff on YouTube isn't either. It's often a one-nonprofessionnal-person effort which greatly explains it. And one person will rarely be good at all things so you'll often see good text with shitty animation or vice versa. If you think you can do just as well (or even better) maybe you should do it and make a killing! But it's mostly just very time consuming.

Interview style, like Brady Haran does it a lot easier because not being 100% accurate in your facts/mis-speaking is fine when talking off the top of your head. Or when it's an opinion piece like Nerdwriter does and you don't need to be factual (but it still takes him a week/video).

elizabeth  ·  17 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Teaching is Fulfilling: what TFG's been up to #3

YAY! Proud of you, man :)

Do we know how Trump reacted yet? Is it going to be the democrat's fault it didn't pass, or did he actually never even wanted that bill anyway?

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Totally blamed the democrats.

“We had no Democrat support; we had no votes from the Democrats,” he said during a press availability following the decision to pull the effort. “They weren’t going to give us a single vote so it’s a very difficult thing to do.” The president also downplayed suggestions that his first major legislative effort ended in failure, telling reporters that he never once claimed during the campaign that he would repeal and replace Obamacare during his first 100 days. He continued: “And, again, I think what will happen is Obamacare, unfortunately, will explode. It’s going to have a bad year.” New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman wrote on Twitter, before the presser, that “Trump tells me in interview this is now the Democrats’ fault, and that he anticipates that when Obama[care] ‘explodes’ they will be ready to deal.” She added: “Trump told me he is happy having this in the rearview mirror. ‘It’s enough already,’ he said of the negotiations.”

Edit: which is effectively the same as giving credit for saving healthcare to the Democrats.

elizabeth  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I Don’t Want To Travel (not me, but the lady that wrote this article)

I think I get a similar reaction when I tell people I don't really actively listen to any music. I do go to live shows and all for the ambiance, but simply listening to music is super rare. I'm content with whatever's on, or even silence. It's like society has agreed upon what's enjoyable and not enjoying those things is now weird. Not being a "foodie" is seen as weird, but not liking to hike or play video games or whatever other hobby is totally OK. Or maybe it's just the circles I run in...

As for the traveller/tourist split, it's been an ongoing conversation for a while now. I did go through that pretentious phase for a little while, being all like "why do those dumb people pay for touristy boring bus tours when you can just go and visit by yourself. It's all the same, standard tours". I think every newbie traveller has that attitude after discovering travelling a bit differently. But then you realize that 100000 people have been on the same trek as you. And that there are plenty people with similar amazing coincidence stories and whatever else made your adventure so unique. You didn't really ever "discover" anything. You're just part of that same group of dumb backpackers, not that different for the dumb tourists in the bus.

Embracing that you do you attitude now, if you're happy in that tour bus or watching Netflix in your (what I previously considered lame) suburb house, all the more power to you. It's actually ironic how "open minded travellers" can be so judgemental about people making different choices.

elizabeth  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 22, 2017

I know a guy who did the PCT too - he came back skinny like hell after it. His next adventure, he want to camp out in the north and he's still undecided between somewhere in Siberia or North of Quebec. (I told him he has better chances of making it out alive in Quebec in case of some sort of emergency, but I think he's too seduced by the romantic aspect of Siberia...) Been trying to get him for an interview for my travel stories series i'm just getting into, but he's a busy guy.

Whoops, didn't realize a woman wrote that article. She does have a pretty narrow minded view of traveling in general too, it's not all lying on the beach and ziplining, and the environment is as controlled as you make it.

Just wanted to spark a conversation on here about different lifestyle choices and all. Got a buddy that just left with his Van for a snowboarding/surf trip across the USA. It's such a cliche, we were joking he should bleach his hair ;) But it does sound like an amazing way to travel honestly.

WanderingEng  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

On my last trip I stayed at a B&B a few nights. I've stayed with these people before, and they're great. The wife was out of town, and her husband had been up Sunday morning since 1:30 am to drop her at the airport. Then Sunday afternoon he had to repair a frozen pipe at an inn they own. Monday I think he was free for a bit, but then Tuesday he had to feed five of us at the B&B. By the end of breakfast it was snowing pretty good, the start of the epic storm. He told us he has two clients he plows out, but a friend of his has a bad knee and was going in for surgery Wednesday. So he was plowing the fourteen clients his friend had, too. I'm pretty sure he spent all day and most of the night plowing and replowing. Wednesday he fed us again and went straight out to digging out cars out. He was running to the absolute limit of human capability. I could see it. Yet, I think he was loving every minute of it.

That's my different lifestyle anecdote. I love being outside, I love the mountains, I love the snow, but I also love being inside and watching the snow and debating which of a dozen places to go for breakfast once someone comes and plows me out. I couldn't live in the rural wilderness like my host does where the breakfast option is go to the Noonmark Diner or eat at home. I think the different choices, the different things each of us wants makes us better as humanity.

elizabeth  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 15, 2017

Let me know if you stop by Montreal :)

rezzeJ  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

For sure! The route isn't completely confirmed yet, but I'm sure we'll drop by for at least a day or two.

Snowstorm aftermath

Leaving for Havana tomorrow :) I hope it's spring when I come back....

oyster  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's been almost 2 weeks since I've seen the sun here because it just won't stop snowing. On the bright side the large amount of time for the snow to fall means that the pathways are clear as opposed to the all at once shitshow you guys got.

rjw  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Have fun in Havana! You've been to so many great places. I'm kind of jealous but I know the onus is on me to take action if I want to live a more intrepid life. Keep on doing your thing.

elizabeth  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Wall - a longform analysis

Yeah, that's why we call it the white elephant :( It's a very visible reminder of everything that's wrong with the construction business in the city...

elizabeth  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 8, 2017

I kind of lucked out with my beard oil project when Urban Outfitters bought some bottles, setting up an online business that makes enough money to travel is actually not that easy. It's my goal for this year tho. The youtubing/travel vlogging is not really bringing in any money yet, but I'm just getting to the level I can score free media passes to some events. Plus, word is getting around that I know my way around filming/editing so I mights get a couple freelance gigs in the meantime. It's a long game, but I think I can make it happen if I stick with it. Just gotta figure out the cashflow in the meantime :)

ThatFanficGuy  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wow. You're getting places! Glad to hear things are turning out so well for you. Free media passes sounds like an awesome level of fame for someone not born into nobility or new money. Keep up the good work!

elizabeth  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 1, 2017

bumming around on Hubski is the best :)

elizabeth  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm longevity blogging.

Did you update the site? It looks neat!

mk  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, thanks. We are actually updating it again in a few days.

elizabeth  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why is Hubski so attractive to spam bots recently?

elizabeth  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski - TNG in Europe. Where to go?

Well in August we can safely exclude all southern countries cause chances are you won't be able to enjoy anything in the heat. Don't want to risk it. Scandinavia is fun but steep on a budget - so not a priority on the list. I get the feel from your post you don't really want to be in a big city (correct me if i'm wrong) so no Paris, London or Berlin.

Amsterdam is a good bet - cheap flights, kid friendly, not too hot in August. Plenty to visit and do - but research some day trips, I feel 1 week might be a little bit too much (unless you're really taking it easy). It's a relatively small city so you'll do the main tourist things fast IMO.

I find Copenhagen has a similar feel as Amsterdam, but less overwhelming tourist-wise with still plenty to visit. Amsterdam can get a little packed with stag parties and stuff sometimes, but that's just my impression. Brussels also fits the criteria. If you're feeling adventurous, I really liked Riga in Latvia. Architecture is amazing, it's a little different from everywhere else, I really enjoyed the food + there is a beach not far.