ecib's comments

Ed said he was curious about the world cup. You guys should take him to one of those bars.

I am not "World Cup-curious".

I fully embrace the World Cup lifestyle, and honestly the parts of town where World Cup fans move to are the most up and coming and desirable.

ecib  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anthony Bourdain Dead At 61

This one got to me.

ecib  ·  69 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 6, 2018

I'm doing my jewelry shit and that's it.

Do you have a post somewhere about what you're doing on this front?

You know, I don't think I do.

The short answer is I intend to start a luxury brand - where "luxury" means "thinks you don't need" not "things you can't afford." The slightly longer answer is that I want to make watches but if you're going to make watches (and do it right) you end up with the kit and expertise to do a bunch of other stuff. So I'm envisioning something kind of like Montblanc, but not nearly so masculine. Maybe more like a smaller, much cheaper Cartier, although neither of those examples are anywhere near my style. 100% American made, small production stuff. Watches, writing instruments, money clips, women's jewelry, whatever else an intrepid metalsmith with a bunch of CNC machinery and a penchant for well-engineered metal goods can turn out at a profit.

ecib  ·  75 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Live - Maryland Edition

What rhymes with circledot...

mk  ·  75 days ago  ·  link  ·

Orange, I think.

Awww yeah! What’s good in Maryland?

steve  ·  75 days ago  ·  link  ·

everything.

everything in Maryland is good tonight.

the humidity.

the rain.

ok... that stuff isn't so great... but the people I just hung out with made all of that other stuff disappear.

ecib  ·  87 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Santa Fe High School shooting in Texas: At least 8 killed, sheriff says - CNN

Yeah, I think the isolation + fringe opinions part is key. Lord knows there is a niche rabbit-hole for every bizarre desire and destructive emotion on the internet. Micro-communities can now easily form around fleeting ideas and phases of despair, giving them a place to take root and grow. Then add the intersection with gun culture and you're baking a cake.

I've had similar thoughts to mk in that what used to be suicides are now turned outward. I'm not sure that the hopelessness or despair have gone up though. I think it's more that those with that despair have access to networked micro-communities that celebrate taking others out with you, they see the media reward others who have, the constantly growing list of others who have done the same, all against a backdrop of a culture where the NRA add below is mainstream for large communities in our country:

1977:

1988:

Yet even the most thorough timelines don't go back past '84.

Used to be we'd talk about school shooters to the point where Kurt Russell played one.

Now? Now the NRA and their lickspittles instruct us to shut the fuck up because apparently "copycats."

Access to guns has not appreciably changed since Kennedy was shot. Yet mass shootings are through the roof. Know what has changed?

ecib  ·  89 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What do you think of this jacket?

It does. Or the high level NPC you have to kill to get it.

Ok maybe I'm projecting

But part of you is impressed...

katakowsj  ·  87 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes. Impressed at the cojones it would take to wear that in serious belief of one’s awesomeness.

tacocat  ·  89 days ago  ·  link  ·

Impressed is maybe not the right word. Maybe sorta?

I also like Tim and Eric. If that says anything

ecib  ·  89 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ok maybe I'm projecting

ecib  ·  89 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 278th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I've been listening to working while Music for Installations by Brian Eno plays lately. I was burning some Mexican copal last Saturday while listening to The Ritan Bells (below) and working and had some really good flow going I must say.

ecib  ·  221 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Post a Datsun

I almost bought a '79 Datsun just like this one in the 90's. I was in school at the time and broke, so I decided not to spin that wheel as I had no idea what maintenance on it would entail. I got as far as saving the Craiglist post, but never ended up calling on it.

ecib  ·  359 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 241st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

ecib  ·  381 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Researchers shut down AI that invented its own language

Yes it's a terrible title. But it is quite fascinating. I was at a talk recently by the founder of Rigetti, who is building quantum computers. We are a LOT closer to a paradigm shift in processing power than I had thought.

The convergence of these technologies is going to be quite amazing.

ecib  ·  391 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 19, 2017

thenewgreen I can get you a used shipping container for a thousand bucks. It's on trend and really captures that raw, re-purposed vibe creators are so fond of. Problem solved.