ecib's comments
ecib  ·  77 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Disaffected Young Americans, Vote. Please. You have everything to lose if you don’t.

What kills me the most is that people who don't vote because they feel disenfranchised by their choices, or the system, are literally casting the strongest vote possible for that system.

Like, the not getting to bitch if you don't vote argument is kinda funny and true and all, but the folks who rail against our system while leading the fucking pack in propping it up and perpetuating it by not voting...they absolutely kill me.

Nothing says "idiot" like being one of the primary causes for that which you hate.

tacocat  ·  77 days ago  ·  link  ·

I met a guy who voted for Trump because Bernie lost the primary.

Book  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're missing the point. Bernie Sanders offered options to the working class American. He was someone willing to appeal to regular people and stand up to corporations from the beginning. On top of that he didn't beat around the bush when it came to socialist ideals and was pushing for free education from the very start.

The Democratic party did everything they could to not allow him to gain the platform he needed to succeed in the mainstream. Yes they are a private party, they (The rich white neo-liberals who fund the party) wanted Hillary, and they got Hillary.

Bernie represented liberal populism. Trump despite his shortcomings and blatant lies was conservative populism. People like Hillary stand in the same camp Mitt Romney stood in 2012: Out of touch rich elite who could barely pretend to give a damn. When Bernie was shot in the water many of his supporters who were regular working class people were not going to settle with the status quo and rather have someone who disrupts the system. And disrupt he did.

I voted for Hillary. Frankly at the time Hillary had a worse record was worse than Trumps when it came to the rights of people like myself. Seeing as she had a hand in pushing for the current system of detaining people of color in order to fill for profit prisons. Though you would be right in thinking she's grabbed less pussys and has had less interactions with Russian escorts. I voted for her, what else could I do.

But I know she was barely a better choice than Trump. Let's not kid ourselves - people wanted change and they voted for change. No one said they wanted the safe choice, working class people have voted the safe choice for a while now and their situations has only gotten worse. Maybe middle class folks can't see this, maybe they don't want to see that they benefit from this stability. I don't know, but it's clear that it's getting worse and the working people who are getting payed shit are force to deal with corrupt money grubbing rich snobs or the LARPING oil barons it's not much of a choice.

Trump offered populism, did he deliver I don't know and I doubt it. But Hillary was clearly adopting the ideas of Bernie's version of populism too late in the election cycle to fool anyone. The Democratic party showed it's true colors the last election cycle, it's sad to say but their best quality and highest aspirations is being better than the republicans. Now with Trump drowning the bar even lower I'm worried that the state of affairs will get much worse and the working people won't fall for this shit any longer.

francopoli  ·  77 days ago  ·  link  ·

I know people that voted Trump because he was the "outsider" after WORKING on the Sanders Campaign.

tacocat  ·  77 days ago  ·  link  ·

We both know morons

reddit_sucks  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·

Attitudes like this are the reason for #walkaway. Stop calling everyone these extreme names if they don’t agree with you. Once I stopped watching the daily show every day and actually opened my eyes, I realized I (liberals) was the one who was actually brainwashed, not the conservatives like I had believed for so long.

tacocat  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bull fucking shit. How do you justify swinging from one extreme to the other cause your guy lost?

reddit_sucks  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·

Because I thought I was like minded to most liberals but every time I tried to discuss anything they immediately insulted my intelligence, or called me a racist nazi etc. plus #metoo and #believewomen ran a false accusation truck over my family and I.

Just your statement says it all. I’ve never been on any extreme. I was a moderate liberal. Believed in health care for all, pro choice, etc. but liberals attacked me so hard that I started looking at the other side and they seemed to make a lot more sense to me. And we’re much kinder and rational when I disagreed with them.

I still believe in health care (although as a mentally and physically fit young person who makes healthy life choices, I’m starting to wonder if it’s fair for me to have to shoulder an equal percentage of the obesity crisis as someone who drinks 3 cokes a day and smokes cigs). I still believe that women should have a choice (but, within reason, and not necessarily fully paid for by taxpayers).

I’d just vote conservative now for sure as every time I try to have a rational discussion, liberals almost immediately go to an extreme and call me a racist/sexist moron.

I also started watching full clips of people like tucker Carlson (instead of just the 10 seconds Trevor Noah shows). The left always shows a 10 second clip of conservatives and manipulates viewers to believe that person is some kind of homophobic, racist monster. When I started watching the whole clip I realized the left was actually the one manipulating me and that a lot of the conservatives they were targeting actually seemed quite reasonable/rational/polite/etc.

ThurberMingus  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·

So it doesn't sound like you changed your opinions much, just decided that you agreed more with the conservatives you talked to more than the liberals you talked to, and like Tucker Carlson more than Trevor Noah.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't a racist/sexist moron, but the remaining options are (1) you are talking to an idiot, you picked the wrong liberal to talk to, or (2) you have such fundamentally different assumptions that rationality doesn't matter.

In response to (1) - if the first person to engage is an idiot, don't judge everyone else as an idiot too. Try not talking politics on platforms that encourage idiocy. Also, if you aren't talking to a troll, 99 times out of a hundred the conversation belongs in category (2).

About (2) - We can rationally talk about euclidean geometry if we agree to start by assuming that straight lines are straight and flat planes are flat. But if we don't agree on assumptions and try to have a rational argument anyway, we will end up calling each other morons and idiots because one of us might be brilliantly explaining Euclid's proofs while the other proves them all nonsense with the assumptions of hyperbolic geometry.

Politics isn't about rational discussion. It is about assumptions. Assumptions about who is important, and when, and why. Assumptions about who yields when there are conflicting rights.

ecib  ·  84 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Goppers vote for conservative-looking people, apparently

I feel like being asked to guess her party is a "don't judge a book by its cover" trap, lol. Looking very closely at the picture, her jacket looks super on point and not cheap, her hair is amazing (based on my wife who has amazing hair it is the farthest thing from cheap), and her nails look colored, with a little moon-shaped uncolored area near the cuticle, aka a Reverse French Manicure. Simple tasteful earrings and one ring that looks like it has a rock on it. I don't think she's in with the current crop of Democratic Socialists.

I'll guess Libertarian or the Green Party. Targeting small businesses with reduced regulation and increased tax benefits is part of the Green's platform.

ecib  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How much would you pay for an ice cube?

And the thing is...it was sloooow. I have to think that any bartender that has the time to employ this gadget on a regular basis has to have one eye open for a gig somewhere else where it's actually busy.

Well let's do the math. If you're using magic hit-you-in-the-teeth ice balls you're pouring something stupid like Pappy or some pompous scotch. You're buying the bottle for what? $1k? And you're selling it for $200 a shot?

Let the night roll. Let a few high rollers get a little drunk. Pull up your fancy ice squisher and get a cube rolling. People ask. What the hell is that for? Well, you see, it's for super-top-shelf shit. And it's dope, drunk people.

So now you're selling that $200 shot. And you're putting it in the $1500 ice squisher your boss bought. And you're making a 20% tip. That squisher just made you $40.

I be squishin' ice all goddamn night, yo.

ecib  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What’s your closeted bougie preference?

What if we don't categorize any preference as bougie? I find the word far too Catholic.

ecib  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 302nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Halloween's almost here, and it's a cold and rainy night...

ecib  ·  86 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How much would you pay for an ice cube?

This makes me mad, although I did order a drink once where the bartender employed this thing, which was kinda cool. We were both bored I think.

MacAllan, for some reason, sent me a brochure for this thing.

Their "kit" involves, I believe, six ice molds and the squisher. They wanted $1500.

ecib  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·

I be squishin' ice all goddamn night, yo.

ecib  ·  86 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 24, 2018

Necro, keep an eye on that.

My uncle dropped his motorcyle at a very low speed once. Exhaust fell on his leg. Nothing broken, but unbelievably painful. Looked a lot like that.

He ended up going to the doc a few weeks later for a cold, and as he was walking out, he mentioned his leg in passing. Turns out the under the skin it had become infected. They rushed him to the ER and scooped a bunch of foul shit out to the point where he had a golf-ball sized hole in his leg that had to be filled and packed every day for a good while. Had he not mentioned it in passing, there's a good chance he could have lost it, per the doc.

necroptosis  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks ecib, I appreciate the advice. I’m sorry your uncle had to go through that, and very happy that he caught it in time. I’m definitely keeping an eye on it, so many different things can go wrong with crush injuries. Thankfully I’m a healthcare provider and have a large amount of access to medical resources. Hopefully it won’t get to the point where I’ll need them but I certainly won’t take any unnecessary risks.

ecib  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 300th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

ecib  ·  148 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New Study Concludes No Safe Level of Alcohol consumption

I heard an NPR bit on the article where the "expert" mentioned that the way the came to conclude that there is no safe level was indeed by rolling in data on deaths/injuries from things like drunk driving etc.

It could very well be that as long as you don't engage in risky behavior while drunk, moderate consumption really doesn't harm you.

ecib  ·  151 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 22, 2018

We went from having three branches, to having two parties.

ecib  ·  153 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Paul Manafort Convicted in Fraud Trial

What that man would do if he only could. In a different time in our history he would already have blood on his hands.

b_b  ·  153 days ago  ·  link  ·

When the manafort jury took so long I was convinced that one or more of them were being paid off or threatened into not convicting. I was a little surprised actually that it came back guilty. I thought the Russia/Ukraine/Trump crime axis was doing the dirty work.

tacocat  ·  153 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was expecting a retrial

b_b  ·  152 days ago  ·  link  ·

Still could be one. They only convicted 8/18. They didn't acquit on any of the 10, but just couldn't come to a verdict. Very possible the case could be refiled after his next trial. Probably depends on the total sentence he receives in both trials. If he's already gone for life, then what's the point?

tacocat  ·  152 days ago  ·  link  ·

Would he get retried on all counts and will the pardons play into it?

I had a client years ago who aaaaaaaaaaaaalways wanted to go to Hooters for lunch on my company card.

It was such a bummer trying to pick out a single thing on the menu that I could remotely enjoy eating. Playboy actually had good articles. Hooters did not, in fact, have good wings. The absolute rock-bottom they could have done was tend to their pretense appropriately.

Despite designing somewhere around 2 dozen of them, I've never actually been inside one.

I am okay with this.

ecib  ·  153 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beer-boiled hotdogs

This is what you're supposed to do with the beers you buy but wish you hadn't.

Ed said he was curious about the world cup. You guys should take him to one of those bars.

I am not "World Cup-curious".

I fully embrace the World Cup lifestyle, and honestly the parts of town where World Cup fans move to are the most up and coming and desirable.

ecib  ·  227 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anthony Bourdain Dead At 61

This one got to me.