ecib's comments
ecib  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 300th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

ecib  ·  51 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New Study Concludes No Safe Level of Alcohol consumption

I heard an NPR bit on the article where the "expert" mentioned that the way the came to conclude that there is no safe level was indeed by rolling in data on deaths/injuries from things like drunk driving etc.

It could very well be that as long as you don't engage in risky behavior while drunk, moderate consumption really doesn't harm you.

ecib  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 22, 2018

We went from having three branches, to having two parties.

ecib  ·  56 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Paul Manafort Convicted in Fraud Trial

What that man would do if he only could. In a different time in our history he would already have blood on his hands.

b_b  ·  56 days ago  ·  link  ·

When the manafort jury took so long I was convinced that one or more of them were being paid off or threatened into not convicting. I was a little surprised actually that it came back guilty. I thought the Russia/Ukraine/Trump crime axis was doing the dirty work.

tacocat  ·  56 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was expecting a retrial

b_b  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

Still could be one. They only convicted 8/18. They didn't acquit on any of the 10, but just couldn't come to a verdict. Very possible the case could be refiled after his next trial. Probably depends on the total sentence he receives in both trials. If he's already gone for life, then what's the point?

tacocat  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

Would he get retried on all counts and will the pardons play into it?

I had a client years ago who aaaaaaaaaaaaalways wanted to go to Hooters for lunch on my company card.

It was such a bummer trying to pick out a single thing on the menu that I could remotely enjoy eating. Playboy actually had good articles. Hooters did not, in fact, have good wings. The absolute rock-bottom they could have done was tend to their pretense appropriately.

Despite designing somewhere around 2 dozen of them, I've never actually been inside one.

I am okay with this.

ecib  ·  56 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beer-boiled hotdogs

This is what you're supposed to do with the beers you buy but wish you hadn't.

Ed said he was curious about the world cup. You guys should take him to one of those bars.

I am not "World Cup-curious".

I fully embrace the World Cup lifestyle, and honestly the parts of town where World Cup fans move to are the most up and coming and desirable.

ecib  ·  130 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anthony Bourdain Dead At 61

This one got to me.

ecib  ·  131 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 6, 2018

I'm doing my jewelry shit and that's it.

Do you have a post somewhere about what you're doing on this front?

You know, I don't think I do.

The short answer is I intend to start a luxury brand - where "luxury" means "thinks you don't need" not "things you can't afford." The slightly longer answer is that I want to make watches but if you're going to make watches (and do it right) you end up with the kit and expertise to do a bunch of other stuff. So I'm envisioning something kind of like Montblanc, but not nearly so masculine. Maybe more like a smaller, much cheaper Cartier, although neither of those examples are anywhere near my style. 100% American made, small production stuff. Watches, writing instruments, money clips, women's jewelry, whatever else an intrepid metalsmith with a bunch of CNC machinery and a penchant for well-engineered metal goods can turn out at a profit.

ecib  ·  138 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Live - Maryland Edition

What rhymes with circledot...

mk  ·  138 days ago  ·  link  ·

Orange, I think.

Awww yeah! What’s good in Maryland?

steve  ·  138 days ago  ·  link  ·

everything.

everything in Maryland is good tonight.

the humidity.

the rain.

ok... that stuff isn't so great... but the people I just hung out with made all of that other stuff disappear.

ecib  ·  149 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Santa Fe High School shooting in Texas: At least 8 killed, sheriff says - CNN

Yeah, I think the isolation + fringe opinions part is key. Lord knows there is a niche rabbit-hole for every bizarre desire and destructive emotion on the internet. Micro-communities can now easily form around fleeting ideas and phases of despair, giving them a place to take root and grow. Then add the intersection with gun culture and you're baking a cake.

I've had similar thoughts to mk in that what used to be suicides are now turned outward. I'm not sure that the hopelessness or despair have gone up though. I think it's more that those with that despair have access to networked micro-communities that celebrate taking others out with you, they see the media reward others who have, the constantly growing list of others who have done the same, all against a backdrop of a culture where the NRA add below is mainstream for large communities in our country:

1977:

1988:

Yet even the most thorough timelines don't go back past '84.

Used to be we'd talk about school shooters to the point where Kurt Russell played one.

Now? Now the NRA and their lickspittles instruct us to shut the fuck up because apparently "copycats."

Access to guns has not appreciably changed since Kennedy was shot. Yet mass shootings are through the roof. Know what has changed?

ecib  ·  151 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What do you think of this jacket?

It does. Or the high level NPC you have to kill to get it.

ecib  ·  152 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What do you think of this jacket?

Ok maybe I'm projecting

But part of you is impressed...

katakowsj  ·  150 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes. Impressed at the cojones it would take to wear that in serious belief of one’s awesomeness.

tacocat  ·  152 days ago  ·  link  ·

Impressed is maybe not the right word. Maybe sorta?

I also like Tim and Eric. If that says anything