dublinben's comments
dublinben  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Santa Fe High School shooting in Texas: At least 8 killed, sheriff says - CNN

Is there another way to report on mass murder that doesn't seem like glorifying to you?

Maybe we just shouldn't be reporting on this in the national media. These are always given multiple days of wall-to-wall coverage on cable news. This is known to encourage copycats and attract others to outdo the carnage in previous incidents.

I care far, far more about kids that can't come home because of Wayne LaPierre's priapism than I do about who the fuck is walking Meghan Markle down the aisle.

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Suicide clusters among high school kids were drastically reduced when the act was entirely eliminated from local news. I have no idea how you could replicate that since internet fame is a thing and the two are very different things, 20 kids mowed down vs withholding cause of death. It would also require voluntarily standards set by competing networks. Which is impossible

Theory is not unsound though in magic land

No fuck that. Every yeehaw gun mutherfucker on here wants to stop talking about it because they don't like to be reminded that their perfectly safe hobby kills children.

We gave a full fuckin week to Baby Jessica trapped in the goddamn well before most of y'all were born. We gave months to Natalee Fucking Holloway. We gave several days to that guy who stole a tank and drove it on the freeway. No copycats anywhere.

Kids are dead. It's news. If news makes you uncomfortable, take it up with your conscience.

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not me. I thought it was a good idea until I imagined how impractical it is.

francopoli  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oliver North will reign in the NRA and make it better /s

rezzeJ  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Union Jack waving intensifies

_refugee_  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

So I mean, then what's the appropriate radius from an event within which the local news should be allowed to report on it? 25 miles, 50 miles, what? We could limit such news to the boundaries of the school district which is impacted?

Imagine being related to a child who goes to a school at which there was a school shooting and having absolutely no idea about it.

Imagine hearing about school shootings by quality-degraded word-of-mouth instead of on live broadcasts straight from the source or through reading vetted, accurate, news/journalism articles which meet a certain accepted (and removed) standard.

Refusing to run news about such events has easy parallels to outlawing abortion: you're not going to make it stop happening, you're just going to make people have to go about it in messier, more complicated, less convenient, less accurate ways.

A child whose reaction to hearing about another child's suicide is to attempt suicide is a child who needs help, not a child who would be perfectly fine if they hadn't heard about the other one. I assure you the feelings they have which make them think suicide might be a good choice do not suddenly pop up in their skull in response to hearing about someone else who committed it.

dublinben  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your favourite buy-it-for-life item?

My family has used the same Swing-a-way can opener since before I was born. I own my own now, and expect to use it for as long as food comes in cans.

I'm also quite happy with my Sennheiser professional headphones. I've owned them for nearly a decade. Every part can be replaced or repaired, so they'll last forever.

dublinben  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dr. Huxtable

I just don't have heroes anymore. I assume everyone successful has abused their position of power somehow.

_refugee_  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

Idk Elizabeth Warren is a personal hero of mine and as founder of the CFPB I really believe her ethos is on the side of the consumer/average american -- it would shock me if she was found to have abused that trust -- but I do also agree, all humans have flaws. Maybe she has. But to this kind of magnitude? -- I just cannot believe it, ever ---

coffeesp00ns  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

it's okay to have heroes, or people you respect. You just have to remember that all humans are flawed, and that putting them on a pedestal is a good way to get yourself disappointed.

tacocat  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

I will be your hero, baby

I can kiss away the pain

steve  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is so depressingly accurate...

dublinben  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: PSA: Get thoughtful or GTFO

If we trick them into becoming productive members of the community first, isn't that just a win-win?

mk  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

That would be the best spam solution ever; you convince them that if they are thoughtful for just a little bit longer, then they will be free to spam.

dublinben  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Would you rent a watch?

I currently spend $0 a year on watches, so a rental service isn't going to get me to spend any more than that. It's a cute idea for someone who feels the need to wear one of these, but can't actually afford it.

HGL  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think kleinbl00 is asking if there is a market at the mid tier and I dont think there is much of one. There is some sort of market at the high end for people who want to pretend that they are richer than they actually are but its unclear what happens when you put a lot of wear and tear on stuff that probably is intended to live in a safe/vault for its entire life and be worn maybe 2-3 times a year. Maybe thats why its so expensive to rent them.

It was the ownership angle that interested me. On the one hand, they're social signaling of the highest order and renting such a thing is a serious faux pas. On the other hand, nobody gets into jewelry of any kind to wear it... They get it to have it. I mean, Patek Phillipe's slogan is "you don't own a Patek, you safeguard it for the next generation."

That is not a rental paradigm.

HGL  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

I thought about it some more and maybe it could be, especially at the medium end. I dont think the original idea works because you have a lot of inventory/depreciation costs but if you modify it a bit it could.

People who love watches have lots of them laying around doing absolutely nothing, why not set up a service where people can rent out their own watches. You can take a cut off every transaction as a service fee think VRBO of watches.

The fees should be low of the individual transactions but the profit center should be services. For a set fee KB will catalogue your watch, photograph it and check for defect, then send it out to the customer. At the end of the transaction the renter will send you the watch back and you will once again catalogue it and check for damages and offer up repair services as needed (at reasonable but slightly high prices), maybe for an additional fee you could even store it (Amazon warehouse model). You should also offer some additional high profit fluff services like cleaning/polish/band adjustments etc.

Additionally you offer some sort of service where the renter can buy the watch, that might provide some social cover for the "I'm just renting it" problem.

You could could have site credits as well, to reduce your credit card fees, and because expired/lost credits are another great profit center, plus it can provide you additional cash buffer.

Your main costs will be the website and the fraud. I think you could probably contain the fraud since you will be inspecting the watches but the website costs might be unreasonably high.

This also solves the problem thelurkerawakens had as you don't hold the watch in inventory and if it dies you collect additional profit for repairs

I wouldn't discount maintenance and insurance as expenses. Cleaning/polish/band adjustments would be checks you'd have to go through pretty much every time the watch went out.

HGL  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Since the watches aren't your own maintenance and insurance would be profit areas not cost areas. The basic service would have a really low cost maybe even a loss leader but all the add ons are where the money is made.

Want to just rent out the watch to whoever? 5-10% fee to collect the money.

Then the rentee can specify a bunch of additional where you earn most of your money:

Want inspection on send out and on return? $10 & Shipping

Is there damage? If you find damage or defect then you quote them a repair bill, they are likely to accept and use your repair service, maybe even mandated.

Want insurance? Extra Fee + Verification of Renters insurance policy

Want to require cleaning on return? $20

Strap adjustment for renter? $10

So you might earn $3-5 a month on the rental itself but you would earn way more on the extras. Thats really were the money is in this model. Hire some high-school/community college kids to clean the watches and do basic low skill work and do the repairs and expensive stuff yourself.

It's a little disturbing to me that we're discussing nuts'n'bolts. I guess the idea isn't insane.

I would argue that anybody trusting their watch to your service would want assurances that their watch wouldn't get trashed. That means you're carrying insurance. More than that, if the watch is going out to unknown owners regularly it's going to need some regular maintenance. You're also not going to get high school kids to clean, like, a $1500 watch; you can do more damage in cleaning it than you could leaving it alone if you don't know what you're doing so at a minimum, you're discussing semi-skilled labor.

But yeah. Might be viable.

HGL  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·

True but there can be different levels of assurance, most people will opt for high or mid tier but the bottom tier should be there so that the service appears cheaper than it really is.

That means you're carrying insurance
you can cover a lot of the damage through self insurance and repair, if you cant get fraud/damage down to the point where you can cover it you go BK because the model isnt viable anyway.

It will, but in my model its up to the owner to decide how that happens. Its another hidden cost/fee that you can take care of as a service. The same way CARE.com will do payroll or VRBO has cleaning partnerships.

simple operations can be done unskilled, if you need to polish the glass that's probably up to you. High school kid is unlikely to do $1500 in damages to a $1500 watch so then you are looking at 200-500 and that's a reasonable risk to take as long as it doesn't happen very often.

Look I'll be honest my model is mostly viable because there is a lot of cost shifting going around. You are renting out other peoples stuff taking transaction fees in the process and then steering your customers to use all your secondary services. Its dot com bullshit 101 except there is a second profit entity (the service center) that feeds off the the website, provides a competitive advantage and acts as a barrier to entry. The service center is the core profit operation, the rental website is just there to drive customers in for high profit services. If you had to bare all the costs of depreciation, capitol maintenance, damage and fraud there wouldn't be much left for profit but if you shift some of these costs out (as the watch owners are already incurring some of these costs) then the model looks a lot better.

cgod  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd guess that the service would serve as many people that already owned a cool watch or two as much as it would serve the guy who is looking for status. A watch enthusiast might just enjoy sorting a few different watches over the course of a year.

dublinben  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Oklahoma, Kentucky public schools close as thousands of teachers strike

As far as I see it, these states have underfunded education for a long time, and done a poor job of recognizing collective bargaining rights for teachers. Absent a better way to resolve their demands, eventually people will become desperate enough to participate in a mass strike.

dublinben  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Landless Americans are the new Serf Class

I'm pretty disappointed that their conclusion (more suburban sprawl) is just the continuation of the failed policies which have gotten us into this mess.

Agreed.

dublinben  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Brings You to Hubski?

I'm mostly here to read comments by kleinbl00 and the books he recommends. I really appreciate that he challenges my thinking in a non-confrontational way.

Somebody write that in the calendar - On March 30, 2018, I was referred to as "non-confrontational."

b_b  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·

No way that was written unironically.

dublinben  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Funding Hubski (and others)

If you hover your mouse over that orange donation thermometer, it tells you exactly what the progress towards the goal is.

goobster  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·

I never knew that.

I agree with @btcprox that it should always be visible.

It's the "anti-Facebook" stance: The product is Hubski, not the users. It costs the community $x.xx to use this product.

I see it as validation/proof/promise that I am not being monetized, and that there is an Adult Understanding that this thing costs money.

btcprox  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·

The figure could still be made always visible though. The thermometer alone indicates nothing about the exact figures for the goal and raised amounts.

cgod  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

There is always something I didn't know about this place.

thenewgreen  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·

Me too. I see a trip to Portland in my future within the next 3 months. I'm gonna stop by your coffee shop. Without question.

dublinben  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: John Paul Stevens: Repeal the Second Amendment

Today that concern is a relic of the 18th century.

Spoken like a true authoritarian.

Attempting to repeal the Second Amendment would rightly cause another civil war. I can't think of a more divisive 'solution' to this alleged problem of whatever it is we're calling it this time; Mass shootings, school safety, gun violence, etcetera.

This is a fun book, not to be taken too seriously.

dublinben  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Evangelicals—Still!—Support Trump

moral supremacy

If Evangelicals really believed this, they wouldn't support the most immoral president in modern history. He personally violates nearly every principle they claim to hold dear.

madmatt112  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think many people assumed that I support Trump, or that I think Christians should support Trump. I do not. I took the opportunity of this article to vent some other thoughts that were related - like the article's bashing of Christians who do support Trump because it's an easy attack.

I also would like to go back to a point I made elsewhere in this thread that the reason many Evangelicals voted for Trump is because they decided that in the final analysis, Clinton was the more immoral choice for the country. Again, I don't agree or disagree with that position, but I heard it from a LOT of more moderate Trump supporters.

The fundamental question is why everyone can see this but Evangelicals.

tacocat  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

Don't parrot shit you don't agree with is the lesson here I suppose

madmatt112  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

That sounds like a decent prescription to me, man.

dublinben  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Absence of Olive Gardens

I am not a good cook, and fettuccine alfredo is possibly one of the easiest pasta dishes to make at home. I don't understand why anyone would order it at a restaurant.

steve  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

agreed... and frankly - I have a hard time ordering any pasta while I'm out to eat. It's just SO easy to make, and make well... for pennies on the dollar.

dublinben  ·  56 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Absence of Olive Gardens

You go to Olive Garden because you've always gone there

There's a word for this: habit. I couldn't think of a worse reason to patronize a restaurant.

steve  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

My mother goes to the OG to eat Fettuccini Alfredo. And if you manage to convince her to go to another restaurant, she’ll ask for Fetuccini Alfredo. If they don’t have that... she goes for spaghetti.... even when we’re at a Mexican food joint.

The habits are strong.

dublinben  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

steve  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

dublinben  ·  60 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The 'burbs are dying

Good riddance. Suburbs are a blight upon our landscape. They're unnatural, unsustainable products of 20th century polices encouraging sprawl.

I don't disagree but we're talking about a fairly severe geographic and demographic upheaval.