demure's comments

A lot of LA Lyft drivers drive new Fusions. Or new Kias. My impression is that they're using the Lyft lease program or whatever that is...

kleinbl00  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Truth. I would argue that the sum total of Ford sedan sales to date have been fleet purchases.

demure  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: MyEtherWallet DNS Server Hacked, Users Lose 215 ETH to Phishing Scam

insomniasexx holy

The attackers used BGP — a key protocol used for routing internet traffic around the world — to reroute traffic to Amazon’s Route 53 service, the largest commercial cloud provider who count major websites such as Twitter.com as customers.

They re-routed DNS traffic using a man in the middle attack using a server at Equinix in Chicago.

From there, they served traffic for over two hours.

demure  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SpaceX Rocket Launching NASA's TESS Exoplanet Hunter delayed to Wednesday 4-18

And a beautiful stage 1 landing!

Successful payload deploy! Wooo

demure  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

And a beautiful stage 1 landing!

demure  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Sunday Paper 2018.04.15: Good long reads, served hot and fresh

The Sunday Paper was last in regular circulation in 2015 :O

demure  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Sunday Paper 2018.04.15: Good long reads, served hot and fresh

Fell off the wagon of regularity for a couple of years. Hope to keep it up for a while longer this time!

nowaypablo  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

haha my initial reaction was “wait, how long have I been missing these posts?”

demure  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Sunday Paper was last in regular circulation in 2015 :O

demure  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: An Ultra-Powerful Flare Erupted From Our Nearest Neighbor Star

https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.02001 for those interested in reading the preprint.

We use these results and the Evryscope flare rates to model the photochemical effects of NOx atmospheric species generated by particle events from this extreme stellar activity, and show that the repeated flaring is sufficient to reduce the ozone of an Earth-like atmosphere by 90% within five years. We estimate complete depletion occurs within several hundred kyr. The UV light produced by the Evryscope superflare therefore reached the surface with ~100X the intensity required to kill simple UV-hardy microorganisms, suggesting that life would struggle to survive in the areas of Proxima b exposed to these flares.
demure  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Grubski Cha Siu Bao (Mostly)

I think I'm going to stuff the next batch with ground chicken, miso paste, green onions and pepper.

Then you'd have 鸡包 (chicken bun)! 叉烧包 (cha siu bao) means "bbq pork bun" (but you may already know this)

demure  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 'Denver Post' Calls Out Its 'Vulture' Hedge Fund Owners In Searing Editorial

I should really do it more often! Look for something coming this weekend :)

demure  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SpaceX Cargo Mission Launches to the Space Station Today: Watch It Live

Can't wait to see what it discovers. Good stuff.

Actually, it'll be TESS on a Block 4 (https://SpaceflightNow.com/launch-schedule) :) then to block 5

francopoli  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

TESS is going to be one of those missions that alters out sense of place in the universe. I'm so excited for this mission. I was thinking that the Bangabandhu satellite was next on the block. Nice to see SpaceX roll out several launches all in a row like this, even if it gets hard to track at times!

Sadly I lost out on the lottery to go watch the TESS launch.

demure  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

Can't wait to see what it discovers. Good stuff.

demure  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 28, 2018

Just got a new-to-me Fuji X100s. Been toying with it over the past few days.

Definitely missing my piano a whole lot recently. Trying to learn a new piece is not impossible, but made rather more difficult without being able to play. Just gotta stretch my brain around it some more.

In short: trying to keep the creative mind busy away from my day gig, which requires a whole different kind of creativity. Work is good. Nearly done with a preliminary design!

demure  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Retroski

demure  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The long, incredibly tortuous, and fascinating process of creating a Chinese font

No haha, I just wrote "My parents are from Hong Kong..."

demure  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The long, incredibly tortuous, and fascinating process of creating a Chinese font

我的爸妈从香港来的。。。

My parents are from Hong Kong...

I took it at school. Never got fluent but it isn't out of the possibility to become so. Just need to go to China for a few months.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

Cool! Chinese is a cool language, in all of its forms and varieties. I'm thinking of picking it up later in life.

(If you say something important in Chinese, know that I haven't translated it, so I'm not sure if you're calling me a guǐzi or wondering about my linguistic curiosity)

demure  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

No haha, I just wrote "My parents are from Hong Kong..."