demure's comments
demure  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Brave Introduces Beta of Private Tabs with Tor for Enhanced Privacy while Browsing

I use DDG as primary on desktop. I also frequently make use of the ! syntax (eg !g for Googling, !wiki for Wikipedia, !smile for Amazon, !wa for WolframAlpha, etc), which made the transition much easier. !g allows me to use Google for stuff I know DDG will choke on.

demure  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Just Don't Drink Coffee

Freshroast SR 500. Operating principle is that of a fancy popcorn popper. Chaff collector, variable heat, fan speed and timing.

demure  ·  35 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Just Don't Drink Coffee

Where in hell's bells do you get fresh beans for $9/lb in Seattle?

I just bought a roaster; should pay for itself in about 3 months or so at $5/lb green beans.

ButterflyEffect  ·  35 days ago  ·  link  ·

What roaster did you pick up?

demure  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

demure  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Death in the Alpine

The White Mountains are no joke. On a summer trip I got caught out with a rain that turned from mild to not-fun over the span of an hour, with large wind gusts catching us on exposed ridge for a couple miles until we could go below treeline again.

WanderingEng  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·

The more I read about the Whites, I'm a little surprised how different they sound from the Adirondacks. It's like that additional 800' of elevation of the highest handful of peaks makes all the difference with long exposed ridges. In the Adirondacks you might get a mile of being exposed, but it dips back down into the trees pretty quickly. And a mile catches plenty of people off guard. I can think of two pretty serious but thankfully successful rescues because people got stuck above the treeline just in that short distance.

demure  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 30, 2018

oh by the way when will you be returning to the PNW? I will be gone overseas from next weekend until beginning of July.

Off'n'on every 10 days through September.

demure  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

woops

demure  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

surprise!

let's do a thing

demure  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

It's been a while, barkeep. A tall glass of something cold and refreshing.

- Moved from Los Angeles to Seattle.

- Finished out my internship at SpaceX, started one at Boeing.

- Place in Seattle has a grand piano, which has been amazing.

- I made this data visualization over the weekend.

- I bike to work now (don't always bike home...¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

So yeah, things are good.

ButterflyEffect  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're in Seattle and haven't told me or kleinbl00?!?!

Last time we met down in LA, demure pulled a shiv and said "don't make me cut a bitch!"

He still owes me for eight hits of molly.

_refugee_  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·

i'm believing in this timeline

demure  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·

woops

demure  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·

surprise!

let's do a thing

A lot of LA Lyft drivers drive new Fusions. Or new Kias. My impression is that they're using the Lyft lease program or whatever that is...

snoodog  ·  86 days ago  ·  link  ·

I sat in one briefly at the dealer lot, what a poorly designed car. Visibility was terrible and just made you feel tiny because you were so low to the ground but like you were driving a boat because you could’ tell where the car ended

Truth. I would argue that the sum total of Ford sedan sales to date have been fleet purchases.

demure  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: MyEtherWallet DNS Server Hacked, Users Lose 215 ETH to Phishing Scam

insomniasexx holy

The attackers used BGP — a key protocol used for routing internet traffic around the world — to reroute traffic to Amazon’s Route 53 service, the largest commercial cloud provider who count major websites such as Twitter.com as customers.

They re-routed DNS traffic using a man in the middle attack using a server at Equinix in Chicago.

From there, they served traffic for over two hours.

demure  ·  94 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SpaceX Rocket Launching NASA's TESS Exoplanet Hunter delayed to Wednesday 4-18

And a beautiful stage 1 landing!

Successful payload deploy! Wooo

demure  ·  94 days ago  ·  link  ·

And a beautiful stage 1 landing!

demure  ·  95 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Sunday Paper 2018.04.15: Good long reads, served hot and fresh

The Sunday Paper was last in regular circulation in 2015 :O

demure  ·  96 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Sunday Paper 2018.04.15: Good long reads, served hot and fresh

Fell off the wagon of regularity for a couple of years. Hope to keep it up for a while longer this time!

nowaypablo  ·  96 days ago  ·  link  ·

haha my initial reaction was “wait, how long have I been missing these posts?”

demure  ·  95 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Sunday Paper was last in regular circulation in 2015 :O

demure  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: An Ultra-Powerful Flare Erupted From Our Nearest Neighbor Star

https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.02001 for those interested in reading the preprint.

We use these results and the Evryscope flare rates to model the photochemical effects of NOx atmospheric species generated by particle events from this extreme stellar activity, and show that the repeated flaring is sufficient to reduce the ozone of an Earth-like atmosphere by 90% within five years. We estimate complete depletion occurs within several hundred kyr. The UV light produced by the Evryscope superflare therefore reached the surface with ~100X the intensity required to kill simple UV-hardy microorganisms, suggesting that life would struggle to survive in the areas of Proxima b exposed to these flares.