We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
demure's comments
demure  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Blohm & Voss BV 141 is a weird bird.

Nearly 60 years later, prolific (and rather genius) aerospace engineer Burt Rutan designed and built the Rutan Model 202 Boomerang. I love unique designs like this.

rd95  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

Please tell me you know about the F-82 Twin Mustang.

demure  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Too late to join the ETH train?

2. Don't feel like you've "lost money" every time the price drops.

Thank you. I think I'm gonna hold it for a while for sure. At my volume the fees will eat away if I trade regularly anyways.

And I'm not sinking in a ton of money; that's what my Roth IRA is for haha

demure  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Too late to join the ETH train?

Edit: actually, what makes them sketchy?

Thanks bl00. Appreciate it.

demure  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Wee Stroll

have you read the one about the AT? need opinion.

flagamuffin  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

yeah it'll take you three hours to read, go for it

demure  ·  94 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is It So: Nye did say you can go far on oat goo

But if it is a big gob of oat goo? Two by two and one oat goo cup is set!

wasoxygen  ·  94 days ago  ·  link  ·

An oat goo cup set of six but one is a lot of oat goo to eat, and you may get ill. Can you do it? To me raw oat goo is as bad to eat as an old hat.

Try Pez, a set of 40 can get you to the end. Mmm!

lol. All I got to say.

demure  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Duckduckgo now supports !hubski search :)

Yeah, I had tried it and it wasn't working so I submitted it (again). all good now though! :)

mk  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah. Thank you!

demure  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Cormac McCarthy on the Origin of Language

Yeah you gotta comb for the stuff now. I only visit occasionally but sometimes that visit surfaces gems like this!

demure  ·  113 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Republican Lawmaker Who Secretly Created Reddit’s Women-Hating ‘Red Pill’

The daily beast is fine, you might want to have a closer look if your phone is compromised.

demure  ·  115 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Any multi-lifetime space projects on the map?

We will be examining the data coming out of telescopes like Hubble and (when it launches) James Webb for many years to come. The beauty of astrophysics and astronomy is that the data never becomes useless -- there could always be some new discovery that is discovered with the help of, or bolstered by, older data.

Plus, there's Curiosity on Mars, too!

goobster  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

Absolutely! We learned new shit about our own solar system when Pioneer started sending weird data... scientists re-analyzed everything, and realized there was something else going on.

Which they, being clever scientists, named The Pioneer Effect

Catchy, huh? :-)

demure  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 19, 2017

I've been using italics for headers since #thesundaypaper days.

but bold is cool too :)

Work

Week and a half left of classes, then a week we call "dead week" around here, and then finals week. The home stretch. We're building mapping software in my CS class for the final project, which is pretty neat. Uses OpenStreetMap XML data and stuff.

Playful work

Rockets! More rockets! Rockets all around! also there's an election tomorrow for leadership in that club so please vote for me in your heads

Coffee

Sermon from Verve Coffee Roasters. MmmmmmMMmmmMmmmmm.

Life

Feeling good. Tired, but hanging in there. Visiting my girlfriend and other close friends in New England in less than 50 days!

It's sunny outside. Maybe I'll take a walk later.

dublinben  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·

OpenStreetMap is my jam. I'm curious to see what you come up with when it's done. If you're looking for a fun way to contribute, check out the app StreetComplete. It lets you do little QA tasks just while you walk around your town.

user-inactivated  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·

Du-ude! Use bold for headers! Bold's so hip!

demure  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've been using italics for headers since #thesundaypaper days.

but bold is cool too :)

demure  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Learning to Love Intelligent Machines: Garry Kasparov on AI (WSJ)

No worries :) I've got a week and a half of classes left and am definitely feeling a little squeezed. Good luck to ya!

am_Unition  ·  118 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! Things are already rapidly improving, last classes were today. Good luck to you too!

demure  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Learning to Love Intelligent Machines: Garry Kasparov on AI (WSJ)

Sarcasm or misread?

These are the same sensations that many are feeling today, as intelligent machines advance in field after field. Few people will experience the dramatic, head-to-head competition against a machine that I experienced, of course, but the sensation of being challenged, surpassed and possibly replaced by an automaton, or an invisible algorithm, is becoming a standard part of our society.

Speaking from painful personal experience, I would suggest that this is the wrong frame of reference to approach the issue, and it is having a negative influence when we desperately need more optimism.

am_Unition  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·

The former, and I apologize, my sarcasm is approaching toxic levels. It's temporary, semester's over in 15 days.

I loved the article, thank you for posting. :)

demure  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·