demure's comments
demure  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: WE'RE BACK (again)! The Sunday Paper 2018.01.14: Planes, Panic, Rockets, Dreams

demure  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone tried Vivaldi?

pssst Firefox Quantum.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.

Yep! And thanks :)

The burger joint at the airport is hilarious. I'll meet you there sometime soon.

ahhh I see. nice long break you have

galen  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Indeed. But then my summer break is, like, 3 weeks. Tradeoffs.

demure  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hiking the 46 Adirondack High Peaks

Mt Washington was absolutely spectacular. I did it in two parts; we stayed partway up the mountain in a shelter overnight before hiking to the summit. I was fortunate to summit on a day where it was sunny and the wind was no more than 10 or 15 mph (can you believe that?! on Mount Washington!). It was gorgeous, and I had a great time hiking with my friends.

I summited Moriah with my best friend while it was raining and windy and cold and dreary...not the best view let's just say. But that comes with the territory of the Whites. It was enjoyable, but for different reasons, I guess. You can try to not encounter that sort of weather, but you probably can't avoid it completely if you want to do all 48 in a timely manner.

Other hikes I've done in the Whites were great. Two thumbs up.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.

Stein on Writing added to my to-read list. Thanks veen!

Let's see. Currently reading: The Whale, Phillip Hoare. I liked The Sea Inside, so I figured I'd also like The Whale. So far, it's been a correct prediction.

I just finished Neal Stephenson's Seveneves. Loved it. Hard sci-fi that makes you think. Also was a bit of a thriller, which made it easy to read.

Before that was Walter Issacson's Einstein: His Life and Universe. Issacson is a brilliant biographer and he did a decent job in making Einstein's theories easy to digest. This was also the first major book I 'read' via audiobook. Tend to realize how many things around the house I can do while reading, which is nice (eg washing dishes). Looking forward to having audiobooks on my commute during my internship.

Still Here, by Lara Vapnyar was an interesting commentary on the app mentality, and a love story at heart. Enjoyed it.

Ali Smith's Autumn, supposedly the first "post-Brexit" novel to talk about Brexit, was less than I'd hoped. It rambled all over the place and the story didn't seem as connected to Brexit as it was made out to be.

The Idea Factory by Jon Gertner, was a good history of Bell Labs. Lots of stuff came out of those labs and from the people who worked there.

American War, by Omar Akkad, was marvelous.

Annie Proulx's Barkskins transported me to a time when forests were an 'infinite' resource.

And that was most of December!

demure  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Musings on Cryptocurrency - an invitation to ruminate

With ETH having the added value of dapps and smart contracts, could that not be construed as the added use as a "marker of value"? Speaking in ruminations, haven't come to my own full conclusions about this yet.

The best way to think of Ethereum is as a preinvestment in runtime on a globally-distributed mainframe. At the end of the day, all any of us have is energy and time and it takes time and energy to execute commands on this network, which takes time.

Ether is the unit that measures that energy on the Ethereum "machine." Strictly speaking, Ether is one of the only cryptocurrencies that has a non-zero intrinsic value. That intrinsic value is directly related to the utility of the machine running it.

I guess my client set a really high transaction fee by default then? Shapeshifted BTC to ETH in early Dec and it took maybe an hour or two?

Or is it that shapeshift only cared about a relatiively low number of confirmations?

That link is to average confirmation time. It's not set; it's whatever the network lag is at the moment based on use.

As I recall, the transaction speed was designed to be 8 seconds.

demure  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Post a Datsun
am_Unition  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Back when the "dat _____" meme was just being born/killed, someone on reddit did exact the opposite of what you have. "Dat Sun", linking to a picture of a Datsun. Thx 4 teh memeries, demure.

mk  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

It was so simple...

demure  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hiking the 46 Adirondack High Peaks

The White Mountains are beautiful. My best friend did all 48, and I've bagged a couple (Washington, Moriah).

Try a few and see if they're your thing!

WanderingEng  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's what I'm thinking! There's no harm in trying a hike or two in a new area. Worst case, I get some exercise and don't enjoy it as much. The Adirondack 46, the New Hampshire 48 and a few in Vermont, Maine and the Catskills make up the Northeast 111. Doing all of them earns another car sticker/bragging rights. I'm 40% done, so I might as well keep going.

How did you like the Whites you did? Enjoyable?

demure  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Other hikes I've done in the Whites were great. Two thumbs up.

galen bud! are you not going to school this semester?

galen  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’m doing a semester in germany, but their calendar is off from ours (I’m officially doing a summer semester), so I’m just home until March.

demure  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

ahhh I see. nice long break you have

galen  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Indeed. But then my summer break is, like, 3 weeks. Tradeoffs.