We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
demure's comments
demure  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is It So: Nye did say you can go far on oat goo

But if it is a big gob of oat goo? Two by two and one oat goo cup is set!

wasoxygen  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

An oat goo cup set of six but one is a lot of oat goo to eat, and you may get ill. Can you do it? To me raw oat goo is as bad to eat as an old hat.

Try Pez, a set of 40 can get you to the end. Mmm!

lol. All I got to say.

demure  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Duckduckgo now supports !hubski search :)

Yeah, I had tried it and it wasn't working so I submitted it (again). all good now though! :)

mk  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah. Thank you!

demure  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Cormac McCarthy on the Origin of Language

Yeah you gotta comb for the stuff now. I only visit occasionally but sometimes that visit surfaces gems like this!

demure  ·  58 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Republican Lawmaker Who Secretly Created Reddit’s Women-Hating ‘Red Pill’

The daily beast is fine, you might want to have a closer look if your phone is compromised.

demure  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Any multi-lifetime space projects on the map?

We will be examining the data coming out of telescopes like Hubble and (when it launches) James Webb for many years to come. The beauty of astrophysics and astronomy is that the data never becomes useless -- there could always be some new discovery that is discovered with the help of, or bolstered by, older data.

Plus, there's Curiosity on Mars, too!

goobster  ·  58 days ago  ·  link  ·

Absolutely! We learned new shit about our own solar system when Pioneer started sending weird data... scientists re-analyzed everything, and realized there was something else going on.

Which they, being clever scientists, named The Pioneer Effect

Catchy, huh? :-)

demure  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 19, 2017

I've been using italics for headers since #thesundaypaper days.

but bold is cool too :)

Work

Week and a half left of classes, then a week we call "dead week" around here, and then finals week. The home stretch. We're building mapping software in my CS class for the final project, which is pretty neat. Uses OpenStreetMap XML data and stuff.

Playful work

Rockets! More rockets! Rockets all around! also there's an election tomorrow for leadership in that club so please vote for me in your heads

Coffee

Sermon from Verve Coffee Roasters. MmmmmmMMmmmMmmmmm.

Life

Feeling good. Tired, but hanging in there. Visiting my girlfriend and other close friends in New England in less than 50 days!

It's sunny outside. Maybe I'll take a walk later.

dublinben  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

OpenStreetMap is my jam. I'm curious to see what you come up with when it's done. If you're looking for a fun way to contribute, check out the app StreetComplete. It lets you do little QA tasks just while you walk around your town.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

Du-ude! Use bold for headers! Bold's so hip!

demure  ·  64 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've been using italics for headers since #thesundaypaper days.

but bold is cool too :)

demure  ·  65 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Learning to Love Intelligent Machines: Garry Kasparov on AI (WSJ)

No worries :) I've got a week and a half of classes left and am definitely feeling a little squeezed. Good luck to ya!

am_Unition  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! Things are already rapidly improving, last classes were today. Good luck to you too!

demure  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Learning to Love Intelligent Machines: Garry Kasparov on AI (WSJ)

Sarcasm or misread?

These are the same sensations that many are feeling today, as intelligent machines advance in field after field. Few people will experience the dramatic, head-to-head competition against a machine that I experienced, of course, but the sensation of being challenged, surpassed and possibly replaced by an automaton, or an invisible algorithm, is becoming a standard part of our society.

Speaking from painful personal experience, I would suggest that this is the wrong frame of reference to approach the issue, and it is having a negative influence when we desperately need more optimism.

am_Unition  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

The former, and I apologize, my sarcasm is approaching toxic levels. It's temporary, semester's over in 15 days.

I loved the article, thank you for posting. :)

demure  ·  65 days ago  ·  link  ·

am_Unition  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·

demure  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Will send diverse set of stickers & Hubski magnets for poems

square house --

did you know that this morning you have a quiet passenger

a little winged thing with a proud crest

silhouetted against the view I am

sure you are

looking at?

it sits on your roof, surveying its lands

watching how the fog marches in on the

sleeping city lit with sunrise's

luminous fury

square house thank you for sharing

the morning with me

I wrote this on a hike at sunrise a few weeks ago. No need for stickers :) I have so many :o

demure  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why are The Economist’s writers anonymous?

Nope, apparently it lets you tap "comment" multiple times though.

On another topic, are comments made from a mobile browser being double posted?

demure  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nope, apparently it lets you tap "comment" multiple times though.

Next year on April Fool's day: replace every website URL underneath a hubski post with "example.com"

demure  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Demand for Tesla Model S/X falling soon?

That's what I figured. Was wondering why this article was contradicting pretty much everything else I had heard about Tesla's most recent numbers.

Thanks bl00