demure's comments
demure  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Impossible Burger 2.0 tastes like beef. Really - CNET

The 1.0 burger was the same price as a beef burger at the SpaceX grill. I liked the taste enough to consistently order the Impossible Burger.

demure  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy New Year!

🎉

demure  ·  66 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 12, 2018

Tomorrow morning's my last final for the semester.

Winter brings skiing in Tahoe and a semi-impromptu friend-seeing tour that will take me to Boston, NYC, DC, and LA...

A bean maker makes a mean baker. Have means, buy beans.

A bean baker baking beans means well; break beans, break not the bean baker.

demure  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Loneliest Generation: Americans, More Than Ever, Are Aging Alone

Ah. I don't subscribe to the WSJ, so I first had to get to the article in order to try things.

Try screenshot.firefox.com?

Last resort: use a user-agent add-on to your browser to pretend to be GoogleBot, and then print to PDF. suboptimal? you betcha.

edit: printing to PDF doesn't preserve the pretty graphs.

Full disclosure: I subscribe to the Wall Street Journal. They have my money. I'm just trying to share the content.

demure  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

Try screenshot.firefox.com?

My guess is that WSJ exposes the whole article to the crawler that Outline is running (and other crawlers as well) so that they can have high SEO / discoverability. However, that can be exploited to get the article from out behind the paywall. Sometimes they catch on (archive.is used to be a reliable way to do this but it's no more, eg http://archive.is/MhLCX)

Psst there's a secret passageway through the paywall: https://outline.com/ZkS7h4

demure  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

edit: printing to PDF doesn't preserve the pretty graphs.

demure  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

Try screenshot.firefox.com?

We have a winner! How does that work for future reference?

demure  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

demure  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The sound of Martian wind.

This is wonderful.

demure  ·  78 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Former President George H.W. Bush Dies At 94

Sorry, this comment is private.

Answer!

am_Unition is spot-on. Vandenberg launches typically are for sun-synchronous polar orbits, so they launch south/southeast along the coast but over the ocean.

There's tons of 'range safety' work that goes on with these launches. There's an envelope that the rocket is approved to fly within on its way from the ground to space. Most flight termination systems are controlled by hand--a radio signal can be sent by mission control to remote-explode the rocket if it's deemed that its a risk to something on the ground. SpaceX is unique at the moment (as far as I know) in having an automated termination system that passes control of that termination decision to the rocket. You can read more here.

(as an aside, this photo was taken 300+ miles away from the launch site!)

demure  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Still Life

demure  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Leading Lines

Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

demure  ·  92 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Space and Space Launch Updates

Awesome updates!!

Don't mind if I follow-up with a couple more routine missions:

An Antares launched today early morning East coast time carrying a Cygnus supply vessel to the ISS.

Spaceflight Industries' SSO-A mission is launching 64 satellites (49 cubesats, 15 slightly larger) on a Falcon 9 out of Vandenberg on Monday, which would set a new record for number of SpaceX launches in a year (this will be #19 for 2018).