Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
byonic's comments
byonic  ·  740 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Falafel Dinner

I'm afraid your complaints are falling on robotic ears.

byonic  ·  1000 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bet lost

This is one bet I'm sad to lose. I think I'll give fate another chance to both remove Trump from office and have me give money to Hubski by matching wasoxygen's side of the bet again. If I understood that right, that means the sooner Trump is removed from office the more I pay.

b_b  ·  999 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, the way we structured it, we'll split the number of weeks at a dollar per week. The total money going to Hubski will be $208 no matter what happens, $1 for every week from now until Jan 20, 2021. He starts at $208 and for every week that elapses, $1 becomes my responsibility instead of his.

byonic  ·  1032 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 21, 2016

I've been sick the past couple days, and I have to say; I'm not a fan. It's strange, having a valid reason to not get out of bed makes me hate lying here. On days where I wake up early in the morning go to work, I feel my bed calling out to me for just 5 more minutes; and now I wish to be anywhere else doing something productive.

I've got a lot more I'd like to share, but sitting up to type sucks right now. I'm going back to bed.

byonic  ·  1034 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Should I get a headhunter or what should I do about my career?

I think (or at least hope) that you're misunderstanding the headhunter fees. I'm not aware of any case where a headhunter will charge the candidate a fee, if you run into one who does that's a massive black flag and I'd avoid them like the plague.

While their commissions are generally based off of the candidate's starting salary, that's a fee paid by the company to the headhunter, and assuming no one's being shady, it will never come out of the salary itself. The way it's meant to work is that the commission is supposed to act as an incentive for the headhunter to negotiate for a higher starting salary for the candidate, and for the position to be filled faster for the hiring company. Of course, YMMV with how this applies in practice, as it depends on all of the parties involved.

The rest of your advice is solid! I just wanted to vouch for headhunters since I've had good experiences.

jadedog  ·  1034 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's just a bit of nomenclature. I'm differentiating recruiters from headhunters.

Recruiters behave the way you describe, getting their commissions from the company. Headhunters charge a percentage of the candidate's salary.

Headhunters work at the executive level where jobs are mostly word of mouth. Some candidates are willing to pay them because finding leads can be really difficult at that level.

Most people don't have access to a headhunter because they're not at that level, so I probably didn't need to make the distinction. I just wanted to make sure that the OP didn't pay a fee to get a job since the word headhunter was mentioned.

ArtemusBlank  ·  1033 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think I should have asked the question of whether or not to get a recruiter instead of a headhunter. I didn't realize that you needed to be at a certain level for a headhunter to be of great help.

byonic  ·  1047 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why I Can't Get Started . . .

I've had a similar train of thought when it comes to self improvement.

Take fitness for example, I've come to accept that on some level I just don't want to go through the process to become fit. If I genuinely wanted to become fit I would have no problem doing the research to come up with a diet + exercise plan that meets my needs and I'd stick to it. But because I don't stick to it when I come up with a plan, that must mean that I want leisure more than I want to go through the work it takes to become fit. Maybe I want to already be fit, but I don't want to become fit.

There was a piece of r/getmotivated style advice that made its rounds a while back that said something along the lines of "Replace the phrases 'I don't want to...', 'I don't have time to...' etc with 'It's not a priority for me to...'" I've found it to be a bit shallow like most of those little motivational catchphrases end up being when applied as a life strategy. However, I do think it's useful for a quick perspective change. Do you really want the things you say you want?

To bring it back to your post, the notion of there being an internal and external set of priorities resonates with me. I think it should be a goal to make them line up as much as possible. The question is how?

lil  ·  1047 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have some ideas how to do this -- starting with becoming aware of the second list.

For example people play all kinds of computer games (or post on hubski) for the reasons on the internal list. Priorities are probably feelings of success, achievement, smartness for the games. Whereas the feelings of success if we do stuff on the external list are few in the short term and iffy in the long term. Priorities on the second list are also to have a feeling of connection, importance, impact, meaning, etc. We sometimes get that from a hubski post.

I'd say much more, but it's taking me away from my first list.

Thanks for writing.

ButterflyEffect  ·  1047 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hmm. I've been thinking about this lately, with regards to "feelings of success, achievement..." etc. Especially with relation to fitness...it's actually the opposite, at least for me. The notion that failure is a possibility is exciting in a weird way and drives me to go out and do it. Whatever it is. Running, hiking, and more recently, climbing. Success is great, but the struggle and chances of failure might be greater.

lil  ·  1047 days ago  ·  link  ·

One of the beautiful things about improv is that failure is a possibility. mknod it opens up possibilities for fearlessness... but in your case bfx, is while the "struggle and chances of failure" might be greater, are you saying that you are motivated by the possibility of failure, or simply excited by it. Who said "fail better"? Oh, Beckett:

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. -- Samuel Beckett
ButterflyEffect  ·  1047 days ago  ·  link  ·

That is a great quote, Beckett was an immensely talented individual.

There's a couple of quotes I came across after watching The Barkley Marathons, which wasoxygen is familiar with.

If you're going to face a real challenge it has to be a real challenge. You can't accomplish anything without the possibility of failure.

True success is not the absence of failure, It is the refusal to surrender.

There is no success if failure is not in the mix."

All quotes by Gary Cantrell. It's both motivation and excitement. The former because the easy things in life do not provide proper clarity and appreciation for your life and for successes, the latter because it's unknown. If I fail, how, when, and what will I learn. How will I "fail better"?

More to come in Pubski.

mknod  ·  1043 days ago  ·  link  ·

I happened to login today and saw this. I'm glad to see I'm still thought about from time to time 🐙😁

I've had a hard couple months. This made me feel really good.

lil  ·  1043 days ago  ·  link  ·

🐙😁 you are the hubski improv goto guy. I hope your hard couple of months become softer.

Deltron_0  ·  1045 days ago  ·  link  ·

keep it simple: make it fun. It's all how you look at it, dude.

byonic  ·  1048 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 204th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I seriously want #2. Is that your tattoo on the monitor?

flac  ·  1048 days ago  ·  link  ·

If I ever find more of the red wool, I just may be able to make that happen ;)

It is! I actually just started doing screen printing (the one pictured is embroidered), and I'll probably be making some patches soon, PM me if you'd like one.

byonic  ·  1048 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm better

Glad to hear it, friend. I just barely missed you on IRC. Hope to catch you sometime soon - I've got some thoughts about your thoughts, and a few of my own to bounce off you!

Solidarity.

byonic  ·  1061 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Wager

I'll match wasoxygen's $40

b_b  ·  1061 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're on :)

byonic  ·  1066 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: India's War on Cash

I would be interested in hearing about life in India in general, especially from the point of view from someone on Hubski. Do you think people in the West, or on Hubski have an accurate idea of what life in India is like?

tvamsisai  ·  1065 days ago  ·  link  ·

Life in India generally is... in a very general sense, about 5-10 years behind what the West is experiencing, in terms of livelihood and technology, depending on which part of the country/city you are in.

The second part of your question is quite subjective to which part you would want to know about. Not all stereotypes are true, but most are.

byonic  ·  1067 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 16, 2016

Not Politics

Everything feels very new lately. I've thought a bit about how to describe it and I think that's the way that captures the feeling the best. Though nothing huge has changed in my day to day habits, I've been filled with a sense of novelty about life as of late. Take work for example, despite that I've been going in 5 days a week 8 hours a day working on largely the same ongoing projects for the past however long, something about it feels less like a routine and more like something that I choose to do every day. This is a huge contrast to the way I've felt in the past where I felt time slipping by by the week and would be filled with a sense of dread. Rather than question it, I think I'll just savor the feeling for as long as it stays.

Politics

I've recovered from my Trump-shock that is evident in my last pubski post and returned to my default state of being Trump cynical. I seem to be on the opposite schedule as everyone; for the couple days following the election I was desperately grasping at silver linings, thinking things like "I hope he does actually 'drain the swamp'" (though of course now that I've seen who will be replacing the swamp 'monsters', this scares me) or that my family and I will be fine as we're not part of any of the groups that will be targeted by policy (true but this line of thought leaves a bad taste in my mouth).

I think the worst thing in my personal life with this is that the common political ground I thought I found with my family has disappeared since the election. This was the first election where the rest of my family didn't vote for the Republican candidate; it was nice being able to root for the same candidate in the debates & not have to sit there quietly and grit my teeth while the rest of the room spews hate at the TV directed at the person I secretly want to win. Of course we weren't always going to be on the same page but it was nice to not be a political outsider for once. They've all admitted since that they like his platform, just not his personality.

byonic  ·  1074 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 9, 2016

I would move to Canada with y'all to escape this #trumpsterfire (shame that tag didn't get more use), but I promised myself I wouldn't move anywhere colder than Kansas since it's only October and I'm already too cold. Looks like the Netherlands is vaguely the same climate-wise, any Dutch Hubskiers want to take in an American refugee? Will program for food and housing ;)

On a more serious note, I'm probably not going to bail just yet. In fact, I'll take it a step further and say that I hope I'm proven wrong about Trump and the GOP who has control over the House and Senate. I hope he and his party make this country great (though I'm withholding the word 'again') somehow, even though I have no reason to expect them to. Is that wishful thinking? Me going numb to avoid the pain? Is there a difference?

byonic  ·  1076 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A glimpse at some of the emails that we get.

Out of curiosity, did they throw out any numbers with their offer?

I can't believe you turned town the wonderful opportunity to be an influencer. /s

mk  ·  1076 days ago  ·  link  ·

No. I should do that sometime, actually. I'd be interested to know. I can't imagine it would be very much.

Now I wonder if the uber graphic is like an innocuous starter, to build a relationship, or of it is a one-off.

byonic  ·  1079 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bone White Skin Tight - a song off of The New Green's First Album

testing if it's the link itself by chance:

Sorry, this comment is private.
byonic  ·  1090 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Run the Jewels 3 - Talk to Me

Can't listen to this for a bit, but I hope it lives up to the hype.