bfv's comments
bfv  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: YouTube Bows Out of Hollywood Arms Race With Netflix and Amazon

I'm surprised Amazon didn't give up first. If they didn't constantly remind me they have a streaming service I'd forget about it.

kleinbl00  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Yer a d00d. Netflix skews 58% male and 18-35; Amazon skews 60% female and 25-44.

bfv  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 322nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

bfv  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mueller report delivered to AG
ThurberMingus  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

22/ What we have today are a large number of non-attorney journalists who don't understand what a small part of the big picture is being dealt with and discussed today because they want to believe they have a handle on a story they do not have a handle on. That's distressing.
bfv  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 20, 2019

There's a Loeb.

bfv  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: BUTTER EMAILS
bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 20, 2019

How does a person working in the music industry, much less a person named Lucretia, not hear of the Sisters of Mercy?

Thankyou.

All I could figure was active, aggressive, prideful ignorance. She seemed... okay but he hit on my wife by calling her a prude in front of a group of mutual friends (they were on a "break") and then called her on my home phone at my house to convince her to break up with me. When it didn't work he convinced everyone else to not call her until she kicked me to the curb.

That was seventeen years ago.

bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 20, 2019

Since you're interested in stoicism, The Inner Citadel.

bfv  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 20, 2019

You need more Pierre Hadot in your life.

Dala  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Noted. I put “Philosophy as a Way of Life” on my reading list. Do share if you have a specific book you recommend other than that.

bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Since you're interested in stoicism, The Inner Citadel.

bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google attempts to fuck up gaming as bad as it has fucked up everything else

Mine indexes files by artist/album/genre. That's easy enough to browse through at a stop light. Interfaces could always be better, but I'm having a hard time imagining something much simpler that doesn't devolve into "Enigma radio."

And before it started to suck, Google Play Music gave you artist/album/genre/grouping/playlist whatever you wanted. Where it falls down is (A) it won't let you touch the screen more than six times before returning you to main (sometimes four - it's a dick) which means you can't even open up the album and return to the beginning - you have to rewind a song at a time and (B) it no longer lets you say "Okay Google, play Skinny Puppy" because it decided to lock that functionality out to paying customers. So now you have to reach for your phone, browse to Skinny Puppy, find an album and hit play. Because Google can't even lock you out right.

I've bitched about the UI before. It's terrible. That wasn't my point, though - my point is that one of the world's most valuable companies, an organization that makes 95% of its revenue from advertising, which has my entire music collection as metadata, which has the world's entire music collection as metadata, which knows enough to know that Enigma and Lesiem and Balligomingo and Adiemus are related...

...thinks that what's going to convince me to pay for their service is interrupting me with L'il Jon.

Every car I've driven in the past 10 years or so has had a usb port to play mp3s from, and external hds are cheap.

Well sure. But now you're parsing a file structure using arrow keys in a moving vehicle. The whole point of in-car is you've got a big screen and simplified navigation that allows you to flip between music and calls and navigation without endangering the lives of everyone around you.

I can hit my files on my phone seven or eight different ways - DoubleTwist, Plex, Bluetooth, USB, whatever. But if you're going to put an interface in the car it should be better than kludging some bullshit MacMini-Winamp horror from the early 2000s.

bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beto O’Rourke’s secret membership in America’s oldest hacking group

So we're clutching our pearls because he did a little phreaking? Because pretty much everyone I know who's old enough built a blue box when they were a teenager. Including me.

someguyfromcanada  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Maybe I am not like the other boys as I do not see this as negatively as you. I did not read the article as scare mongering at all. The author rightly points out that a youthful indiscretion may be used against Beto. However, they also point out that O’Rourke credits the cDc with developing his thinking in a number of ways such as his strong feelings about net neutrality as a means of democratizing power on the internet. That could be scary for old people and others who do not use the internet but I would think that "everyone who is old enough" should act accordingly.

kantos  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Adding this to the positives pile, too. There's more coming on the topic in June with cDc members willing to put their name on the record to back him up and talk about it. Gives Beto another calling card against the slew of Dems throwing their name in the hat. He seemed 'run-of-the-mill,' in my eyes, otherwise.

bfv  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I don’t wanna do my video game chores

I always spend way more time tinkering with games than I do playing them. I never got around to doing the main quest in Skyrim, but I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing with the AI so I'd be able to send zombies to clear out all the monsters and traps in dungeons and gather crafting supplies for me. Out of the box they were too dumb and that annoyed me, by the time I was finished they were smart enough to play the game for me and there wasn't anything left to do.

bfv  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 321st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Welcome back