We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
bfv's comments

"When are you going to join the 21st century and get a cellphone, bfv?"

bfv  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 248th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

cgod  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm wracking my brain to remember where I read about the vikings in the Ottoman Empire, I know that I read it before the internet was a significant thing.

It might have been from Ottoman Centuries, which I remember being a pretty good book on the Ottoman Empire but I'm not sure.

bfv  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Yo dawg, Google heard you like machine learning...

bfv  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: PSA: OnePlus has been tracking the shit out of users for the past years

"What's that? All your .tifs are now giant black squares? Well, you shouldn't be using .tifs. It's an ancient yukky format and it was either patch our shitty operating system against 'malicious tifs' or fuckin' rewrite your shit so that your data is gone and we all know how you'll fare in that discussion."

That has been my favorite Apple fuckup in recent history, because I still see a lot of tifs from designers, photographers and other artsy types, who have traditionally been the folks keeping Apple alive. It's kind of Apple since the iPhone in a single poorly thought out patch.

Buddy of mine compared this to that moment where the cops come in, turn on the lights, shoo away the DJ and say "awright, party's over, everyone go home or we'll crack skulls" causing the crowd to disperse from the warehouse and nurse their high at Sheri's.

I had those. All six of 'em. They were sold at 36x24. I paid $5 ea to scan them in at 600 dpi then sold the lot on eBay for $150.

They're $60 each now.

And I have 600dpi of black.

All six of 'em.

veen  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I hope it is not too late, but I'm pretty sure Photoshop can be automated to take all tiff's in a folder and convert them to whatever other format Photoshop supports.

am_Unition  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I use ImageMagick to do things like that, it's remarkably lightweight (nowhere near the disk space required for photochop), but still very powerful.

And not that you asked, but after I've built all my image frames from the data, I stitch them together into .mp4's with ffmpeg. Video data products are so obviously the future, but don't tell all the old men who still get printed journals delivered to physical mailboxes.

It's so too late, dude. Apple rewrote them. And when I looked at my time machine backups on Apple, it rewrote those, too.

Theoretically I could have attempted to mount time machine stripes on my Windows machine and hope for the best but the act of looking for them in OS X destroyed anything that wasn't destroyed.

bfv  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Today's Writing Prompt: This Is What It's Like
OftenBen  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

FOR SOME PRE-PARATION-AAAAAACHHHHH.

Yay Ben Folds.

bfv  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 247th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I skipped a week, but the last was 246th and I haven't repeated any titles for at least a year.

bfv  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: POST SONGS THAT ENCAPSULATE HOW YOUR DAY WENT.

bfv  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Election night, Norway. And get this...
blackbootz  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you! That YouTube channel has talks from two different academics whose work has been cited in cases advancing to the SCOTUS this session.

bfv  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Three colossal failures for the Umber Emperor. And this was a SHORT week!

He did manage to go bankrupt in the casino business, you know. That's really hard to do.

The house always wins if it knows the game or listens to people who do.

bfv  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A story about regulation

Had the data been anonymized by an entity capable of separating the hospital from the liability, there probably would have been a lot less drama.

That is where experiments conducted by the doctors get more difficult than experiments conducted by the techies; I'm not collecting any data, I just have to show I'm not taking indecent liberties with the data on servers I have root on. But I think you're getting more directly at the same point I was trying to, that HIPAA shouldn't be that much of an obstacle so long as you're respecting the patients' privacy.

OftenBen  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

A big part of the problem is PROVING that you are taking adequate security measures and the needfulness of your study. The people okaying these sorts of things are typically not super savvy in computers or medical science(Even if they are MDs). They are savvy in bureaucracy and administration.

bfv  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A story about regulation

I don't think I couldn't, but they were the unsexy "there's tedious work to be done and I can probably write a script that figures out how to do it faster than my users could do it themselves" kind of ML project and I don't have anything interesting to say about them.

bfv  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A story about regulation

I've done several machine learning projects involving data with HIPAA requirements, and it was a pain in the ass because anything involving talking to a lawyer is a pain in the ass, but "I don't need anything personally identifiable for this project, so all the data I'm working with will be anonymized" was always enough after defining some terms. It's annoying, but not much more annoying than traffic lights and those do more good than harm too.

I believe that in this example, the anonymization was the sticking point. Alexander did not understand (or feigned to not understand) why the data needed to be anonymous and so he throws up sticking points that are almost entirely about making the data anonymous.

bfv  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

This makes me super happy to hear.

Could you elaborate more on this publicly?

bfv  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 241st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

That took a couple of passes to parse.

flagamuffin  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·

it were quite good though

keifermiller  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·

off topic: Speaking of Soviet artifacts

If anyone is ever nearby, I highly recommend a visit to the Cosmosphere.

rocketyak  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·

Seconded! Anyone interested in space or space history could easily spend a day here. Loved it!