Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
bfv's comments
bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi Club no. 42: The Dispossessed Discussion

Syria's Democratic Union Party are anarchists.

Well I'll be damned. Learn something new every day.

The Red Army Faction weren't anarchists, they were MLMs. So were the Weather Underground.

I knew you didn't mean Amway but it took some searching to know what you did mean.

I know they weren't anarchists - I don't know of any active anarchist groups. By Baader-Meinhoff bullshit I mean the self-indulgent idea that the world would work perfectly if only everyone did literally everything different which means literally everything is wrong.

bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Syria's Democratic Union Party are anarchists.

Well I'll be damned. Learn something new every day.

bfv  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It's been five years. Why does Alexa still suck?

... because chatbots are cute toys that become frustrating when you try to use them in real applications, and always will be?

My car has an Alpine car stereo with Android Auto. Its Bluetooth name is "hot lip fungus."

My previous phone believed it was in Australia because I find the Australian google voice to be less dourly judgmental of my failures. Hot Lip Fungus reads my texts to me and then asks "do you want to reply?" and then gets lost between T-Mobile and the cloud and its utter inability to do anything on the device. Last time it repeated the text and then said "do you want to reply?" and when I shouted YES!!!!!! at my dashboard like a crazy person, as you must do when interacting with Hot Lip Fungus, it said "...oh" and went back to playing Test Department.

Frustrating, yes. But at this point, bordering on dadaist.

bfv  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 6, 2019

I can't even tell if they're giving me attitude or a lesson at this point.

Trying to figure out what to say to the guy whose answer took the form of a drawing of a penis is a rite of passage.

bfv  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 6, 2019

The other might be your easier option. Get it working in CUPS and let Windows talk to the CUPS server. As long as your printer speaks postscript, you should be able to set it up as a generic postscript printer in Windows.

bfv  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 6, 2019

I mean, would you want to work as a systems programmer at Apple, where nothing that isn't shiny or at least comprehensible to the designers matters?

Somewhere on Reddit there's a lamentation from an Apple engineer on the subject of strain reliefs. It must be a thousand words on how everyone knows they need them, everyone knows they're good, everyone knows that Apple products suffer through their absence and everyone knows that Jonny Ive and his ilk will never allow Apple products to have any.

Because fuck your ergonomics.

bfv  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How do you make Windows suck less?

It's not cheap, but Crossover is pretty reliable if you don't want to have to configure wine yourself.

keifermiller  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's worth checking the various coupon sites if you go the crossover route. Codeweavers seem to usually have some sort of deal going on.

bfv  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Five months after returning rental car, man still has remote control

If you want to steal a ford rental car (... or most police cars) you can buy a copy of the fleet key cheap. Tracking it is a new security issue, and if the engine can be turned off by the app while it's being driven that's bad independently of whether you should have access to the app, but Ford making it easy to steal fleet cars isn't new.

You have long since become Gilfoyle in my head.

bfv  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The US now has more Millennials than Baby Boomers.

Immigration.

The Millennial generation continues to grow as young immigrants expand its ranks. Boomers – whose generation was defined by the boom in U.S. births following World War II – are aging and their numbers shrinking in size as the number of deaths among them exceeds the number of older immigrants arriving in the country.
Dala  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! My brains are totally fried today and I knew there had to be something I wasn’t getting. This is why I don’t work with numbers.

bfv  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "Yeah it's still water:" a tale of Texas Instruments

Change raising for rich people.

bfv  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The wonderful, weird world of wizard rock

I know you're aware, but it seems worth throwing out there that filkers have been around since forever

Sure they have - they date back to an era where Gene Roddenberry was selling swag and memorabilia out of the trunk of his car. Thing is, not only are we talking about a fandom that has never risen above a roller coaster, we're talking about a universe in which the protagonists are generally overly-active.

bfv  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Paul Graham created another Lisp: Bel

Still don't like abbreviations as part of the syntax. Graham likes abbreviating symbols in lisp, but aside from some conventions (call/cc in Scheme) no one else does that, and for good reason.

Why on earth did he rename cons "join" but then keep car and cdr? Oh, because cons is defined later as something that isn't cons. On that note, since threads are part of the language join doesn't mean what one would expect it to mean either.

lit is cute, but I notice a lack of guarantees that serializing a function twice and reading it back will yield two functions that are id to each other.

Either the definition of apply is misleading or it serves no purpose? In CL and Scheme it takes the arguments as a list, but here it looks like it takes them individually, and it's a lisp-1, so it seems like any use of apply could just be a function call.

... I'm stopping now. Kind of like arc, it looks like it was a fun hobby project.

mk  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

It is like Jony Ive wrote this:

(set prims '((id join xar xdr wrb ops)

(car cdr type sym nom rdb cls stat sys)

(coin)))

(def applyprim (f args s r m)

(aif (some [mem f _] prims)

(if (udrop (cdr it) args)

(sigerr 'overargs s r m)

cls (cls a)

stat (stat a)

coin (coin)

sys (sys a))

(sigerr v s r m)

(mev s (cons v r) m))))

(sigerr 'unknown-prim s r m)))

I like the brevity in Arc. I don’t know why, but it works for me.

bfv  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump abandons the Kurds

bfv  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 350th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

Seven years coming up soon. That weirds me out a little.