bfv's comments
bfv  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Satanists: the PETA of religion

TST's stunts are usually funny. I wonder what happened here.

OftenBen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Publicity grab?

Some edgelord who really believes in the Devil got into a position of power?

bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sizing Up the 2018 Blue Wave

Alternately, REDMAP didn't protect the Republicans from losing the House, but did mute the effect. Here's hoping people stay angry enough to fix it in 2020.

bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Democracy Participation Th{ubski}read

Looks like Texas is sticking with the slug.

am_Unition  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Over 6.7 million votes tallied though! 2014 was only 4.7 million. Crazy.

Can he run against Cornyn in another two years? The problem then becomes the fact that Cornyn actually has a personality. :(

Edit: New York Times estimates that there will be 8.1 million votes. That's insane!

francopoli  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

FUCK. I really thought Beto had a great shot at it.

cgod  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

It looks like three Democratic Representatives were dragged across the finish line by the Beto turn out. His campaign probably make a significant difference in the house outcome.

bfv  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Democracy Participation Th{ubski}read

Sure

but klansman cops is more of a local thing, the bigger problem is that looking into right-wing terrorism antagonizes the GOP.

bfv  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Disaffected Young Americans, Vote. Please. You have everything to lose if you don’t.

My cat is indeed separate from the specter of communism (like all cats, he's a monarchist), yog-sothoth (different speces) and club sandwiches (though he always steals the bacon if I leave one unattended).

am_Unition  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I found some fried okra from last night's dinner on the floor this morning. Two suspects/cats

I get a bunch of Republicans running unopposed every time too. I make myself feel better by writing in my cat, the specter of communism, yog-sothoth, a club sandwich...

am_Unition  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, I gotta prep to do that next go 'round. I've got two cats, so that's at least two seats.

I was in a bit of a hurry because there was a ~20 minute line of people behind me, but now I know the interface. And on that note, I'd rather there be a literal paper trail instead of solely electronic tallying.

Just to clarify, is your cat separate from the specter of communism, a jewish-sounding-villain-like name that I am about to google, and a club sandwich?

p.s. I'm bumping the shit outta this post until Tuesday, probably

bfv  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

am_Unition  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Full text of Carter’s letter to Georgia secretary of state

Are these elections held under state laws?

Yes. Some states, mostly in the south, used to need federal approval to make changes, because they had a history of preventing black people from voting, but that was undone in 2013. Take a guess what happened next.

bfv  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What would the world look like if we took online threats seriously?

RSS/Atom solved the problem of getting the information you want to see well enough, and in a way that makes it trivial to make your own filters. They just didn't solve the problem of coaxing you into sticking around and looking at ads long after you've read everything you needed to read, for that you need to surround your users with people who are wrong on the Internet.

bfv  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Romantic Parson who has fallen upon Hard Times

Romantic Romantic with Ulterior Motives
mk  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ooh, that's the best one.

bfv  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Darling's library week 10/18/18

Forgotten Books is a print on demand service that reprints books from the Internet Archive. They're probably fine if you want a physical copy of something and originals are unobtainable or expensive, but linking to the Internet Archive is better since they also try to sell the pdfs. Here's the book you linked to.

darlinareyousleepy  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

So helpful! Thank you!!!

bfv  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 302nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Brackets go around the text, parens around the url.

darlinareyousleepy  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you for the instacatch.