bfv's comments
bfv  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: DNC rule change angers Sanders supporters

If this is turning into a people you know running for Congress thread, send in the clowns.

steve  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

I like this clown

bfv  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: In Narrow Decision, Supreme Court Sides With Baker Who Turned Away Gay Couple

It's as appropriate for someone on a civil rights commission to be hostile towards conservative Christianity as it is for an ER doctor to be disgusted with the NRA. The first solves problems the second creates.

Taking it as given that Trump's cabinet are going to abuse their positions to enrich themselves, that's such a bizarrely unambitious way to do it. Like getting a job running a hedge fund then setting up a three card monte table in the lobby.

Right? It's legit "One... Million dollars!" bullshit.

bfv  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Outrage over Cartoon Network’s Thundercats reboot: ‘CalArts style’

Was "badthink" on a word of the week calendar or something?

OftenBen  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nah, just calling it like I see it.

'If you don't like TFA, Rogue One, etc, you're not a TRUE Star Wars fan!'

The further stifling of honest debate. The further narrowing of the range of acceptable opinions.

Maybe I'm showing my age making this comparison, but shoplifting a card is easier than shoplifting a magazine.

bfv  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I was Jordan Peterson’s strongest supporter. Now I think he’s dangerous

From the outside, there is way to much ressentiment in Peterson's following for Nietzsche to be a good substitute. You're never going to sell those guys on Nietzschean affirmation.

Plus Angry Young Men tend to take all the wrong lessons from Nietzsche.

Plus Angry Young Men tend to take all the wrong lessons from Nietzsche.

word

bfv  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Megan Fox Thinks Archaeologists Are Too Narrow Minded to Understand History

tacocat  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

But with tits. Yeah. Sure. Three seasons at least. That's my first impression.

But based on the meathead, dumbass junkies I've had to put up with for eighteen months who thought they were pursuing serious intellectual goals by watching Ancient Aliens in a search for some fucking thing and seeking some deeper truth to human existence instead of giving it up to God like the Big Book says, oh yeah, this is fucking ratings gold.

bfv  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 16, 2018

A lady who works at a weed warehouse traded me 36 high power edibles, a mix of 50/50 and 100% THC. They will last me months as long as the wife doesn't get into them too hard. She is way too generous a trader. She starts insisting to pay about half way into the trade value.

I gave the local coffee shop owners' dropout daughter math lessons so she could get her GED six years ago. They still won't let me pay for my coffee no matter how much I insist. I'm an absolute shit teacher too; that girl might be the only person in the world with a GED, no degree, and an AMS membership because I couldn't answer stupid questions without teaching her about Galois theory and how to construct the real numbers. She probably could have gotten a BS in math for the amount of work she put into learning high school math from me. Bartering is fun but holy shit does it make you feel guilty when you and the people you're bartering with have very different valuation functions.

bfv  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Make Frontend Shit Again

Yeah, that was weird to me too. I think it's included because JQuery has a very low barrier to entry, and has become unfashionable in favor of more complicated libraries. Which isn't a problem limited to the web; I don't think I would have bothered to learn much about graphics if I'd had to do it with modern OpenGL or Vulkan for example.

bfv  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Trouble with Real-World Stuff

Too late for them, but on the off chance it comes up again there are almost always at least a handful of people in any CS department who pick locks for fun, and the cheapo Master combination locks on most school lockers are really easy to open.

bfv  ·  35 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: EFAIL: turns out email PGP has a vulnerability

I don't think I've met an email client that didn't default to not loading external resources since the Netscape email client way back when. It looked like a vulnerability you had to opt in for to me too.

bfv  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: On teaching mathematics

I absolutely hated analysis for years after I got my degree for all the physics tangents in the calculus/advanced calculus sequence that I had to digest and memorize because they'd be on tests. I was interested in logic and combinatorics, and later topology via category theory. If I wanted to study physics, I would have signed up for physics classes. Mathematics is bigger than physics.

Yeah that's dumb. Engineers are taught that manufacturing is applied engineering, engineering is applied physics, and physics is applied math. Math isn't applied anything; it's the only discipline you can conjure out of pure thought. I would have figured the mathematicians would be insufferably reassured about that.

Devac  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·

I get that, though I see myself leaning more and more toward physics as time passes. That said, both category and type theory help me a lot every day, even though it's rarely something I use directly.

Anyway, Arnold wrote it, so there's no surprise it's biased. I don't agree with the article, at least not in 100%. I did, however, find it has some good points and IMO it's thought-provoking enough to be shared.

bfv  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tech’s Two Philosophies

I have a 2 TB usb drive in my car. I take it inside and rsync my mp3 collection to it once a month or so. The car takes ~30 seconds to index it when I start up, and has a slightly clunky touchscreen interface to find the directory I want to play. Unlike physical cds I can't safely switch out what I'm listening to while driving, but unlike when I was using physical cds I have around 15k albums in my car and if it happens to be that one time a year when I really want to hear Marvin the Album again it's there for me.

Google Lady sucks, but you don't have to put up with Google Lady.

bfv  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tech’s Two Philosophies

If they wanted to integrate all the existing online booking services by hand, that would be a reasonable if messier and more labor intensive thing to do too. But using your phone to ask Google to have a chatbot make a phone call to a receptionist to make an appointment for you is some Rube Goldberg shit even if they manage to learn their way into not annoying both you and the business.

It'd be funny to make an app that tries to solve the same problem by making requests on mturk.com. Not funny enough that I'm tempted to do it, but funny.