bfv's comments
bfv  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 274th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

francopoli  ·  8 hours ago  ·  link  ·

That showed up in the suggested vids.

bfv  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Awesome DEA patches

The grim raver on the ecstasy one is adorable.

bfv  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

late in the Bush animation

b_b  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Lol. I meant that even though it seemed obvious, there was actually a clip of the dude who's not Steve doocey accidentally reading the RNC talking points off a sheet instead of pretending he made it up like normal. That happened later in the term of I remember right.

bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: You all are great!

Maybe. I remember you teach CS students. I got As in more than a few computer science classes I only showed up for tests for, the answers I'd give to those questions would depend very much on the tone of the class and I'd have been very worried if I hadn't actually attended the classes.

bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: You all are great!

I love that could either be an exam question for a class on Plato or a a class on trolling.

lil  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

or a class on not trolling? or am I missing something?

bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Poe's Law makes fools of us all.

am_Unition  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Poe's Law has become increasingly annoying for anyone trying to understand politics in the last few years.

am_Unition  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

All it would have taken me was one quick google search, but no, I couldn’t even do that.

bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Poe's Law makes fools of us all.

am_Unition  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wish I could just shrug when a feature works as designed, but confuses a few people into misusing it and getting undesirable results. Fixing non-bugs is irritating. To my knowledge, our undesirable results have never been fatal though. That's somewhere well beyond the suck it up point.

bfv  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: U.S., Britain and France Strike Syria Over Suspected Chemical Weapons Attack

kleinbl00 called it

tacocat  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

To be fair Trump called it the other day on Twitter because he has zero tact or ability to silently plan beyond whether he's going to eat a Big Mac or Double Quarter Pounder.

steve  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

And here I thought your tweet link would answer the REAL question... Big Mac or DQP.

I mean... inquiring minds want to know.

tacocat  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Based on how much red meat he seems to eat I'm wondering if this was a misstep in the investigation

I don't think even Mencken would have called that one.

bfv  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Probes Point to Northrop Grumman Errors in January Spy-Satellite Failure

Find a link from reddit or spoof your referrer.

edit: duckduckgo works too, just search for the url. Google probably works as well.

bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Coding and Coercion

Software is a weird industry. Pretty much all the software programmers use is GPL or BSD licensed, and most of the interesting work we do is too, so we're communists in practice and capitalists red and tooth in claw in theory. If we could figure out how to interact with the rest of the economy without VCs we'd be as utopian as we pretend to be.

bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Barclay's is now modeling Bitcoin like a disease.

It's an algorithm for correcting errors introduced by transmitting data through a noisy medium to translate from one language to another. The analogy is straightforward, but it's still an analogy. I have no idea whether bitcoin adoption is enough like the spread of disease to make modeling it that way useful, but the meme of memes refusing to die makes it look at least a little plausible, or at least not #nottheonion-ridiculous.

The easiest ways to do machine translation are based on the noisy channel model, assuming the text you want translate was written the language you want to translate it to and was garbled into the language you want to translate from. Sometimes modeling with analogies works.

That's an algorithm being applied to do algorithmic work.

Economists live in fear of algebra.

bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 'Denver Post' Calls Out Its 'Vulture' Hedge Fund Owners In Searing Editorial

demure does #thesundaypaper some Sundays.

demure  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I should really do it more often! Look for something coming this weekend :)