We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
bfv's comments

What sort of training do these officers get in de-escalating tense situations?

"Don't or you're fired"?

bfv  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Tinder could take back the White House

Hey, whatever works

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Lady Liberty needs must be topless?

bfv  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Hey, whatever works

bfv  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Mandelbrot Monk

See also. And, more confused than brilliant, Saccheri.

---
rrrrr  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the interesting links. Apparently Udo of Aachen is an April Fool hoax. I'm deleting the post.

---
bfv  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A DRM-locked, $400 tea-brewing machine from the Internet of Shit timeline

But this one has DRM and talks to the Interwebs so it is disruptive.

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Anyone unable to figure that out on their own is exactly the target demographic, they really did their homework

bfv  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 21, 2017

It hasn't been less than 80f here for a month. I work from home, I only go outside while the sun is up to smoke during the week, and still I've got a farmer's tan. Can we trade?

oyster  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Once I get done work my options are softball, sit on the grass if it's nice, day drink in Banff, hike, or there are even places to swim apparently if I don't have some sort of boat handy. I think I'll stick with this life even though the weather is interesting some days.

bfv  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Literally Industrial (club mix)

Seeming is pretty good too.

I'm outing myself as living under a rock by saying it, but I'm surprised to learn America's Funniest Home Videos is still a thing.

francopoli  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm not at all. Old people still get their lame ass viral videos from SOMEWHERE

Remember the audience for most mainstream television is baby boomers, people over 60. People my age and younger have checked out of broadcast TV.

I had this discussion with a dude of 59 the other day. I pointed out that everything is a remake now because the only people paying attention are the ones that saw fucking Blade Runner in theaters. Fucking of course they're rebooting Will and Grace.

francopoli  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah. Those of us who work in Hollywood find out about this shit.

Fuck dude I work in television on a network show that airs on Sundays and it surprises me every time I see it in the Nielsen reports. And has done for ten flipping years now.

bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: D&D Creator Gary Gygax's FBI Records Make Him Sound Like a Badass

"Libertarian" means "Republican who likes weed and doesn't care what you do in the bedroom" in America.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

...people in America are so exceptionally excluded from the rest of the world, in gets ridiculous sometimes. An American let's-player had to explain to his American viewers what "liberal" and "conservative" mean outside of the country. Add to that the little things like "soccer" instead of "football", and the Imperial system of measurements, and it gets beyond ludicrious.

Thanks for the explanation.

goobster, is that the American exceptionalism we discussed a long time ago? (or was it Russian exceptionalism?)

goobster  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Americans have an enormous chunk of land rich with every natural resource we could ever want, and never have to leave. In fact, something like 75% of Americans never do leave. Not even to Canada or Mexico.

This makes the majority of Americans very provincial and self-righteous. We don't need anyone else, so fuck everyone that isn't me. American Exceptionalism. "The rules don't apply to me, because I am better than everyone else."

bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Amazon Says It Will Buy Whole Foods In $13.7 Billion Deal : The Two-Way : NPR

If thenewgreen is still mostly in NC, Publix, the only employee-owned supermarket chain in the US I'm aware of, is a decent substitute,

Reason is a Libertarian (read: capitalism red in tooth and claw) propaganda mag. They're a blight on humanity, but a funny fluff post is a funny fluff post.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wait, so they're not really Libertarian?

bfv  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the explanation.

goobster  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy Saturday Hubski. Have a thread where you can post cute stuff.

bfv  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 14, 2017

I dunno... I'm sitting in a long and boring conference call/training, and my mind is wandering off into the weeds... government contracting, my friends... my brains are leaking out my ears...

I know your pain.

That video is appropriate far too much of the time.

bfv  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 14, 2017

Nah, people only think you're pompous if you quote someone hasn't been dead at least 200 years.

Shit. I should stop quoting Claire Wolfe.

lil  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Quoting is cool. Period.

bfv  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone know what LBRY is?

It's sort of a distributed iTunes. You post your files and set a price, and in principal people buy them with their cryptocurrency. They have a FAQ.