Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
arktky's comments
arktky  ·  1566 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Interesting Argument for Legalizing Polygmay [2 mins]

Apologies for spam, getting 'deadlink' when attempting to comment =\

Gay marriage has been the fight of this generation, I wonder if polygamy will be the fight of the next? While I do agree that consenting adults should be able to do what they wish so long as nobody is harmed the issue I take with polygamy is that I think it will be disproportionate in the male:female ratio. If this is true then I think it's rather harmful to society as a whole.

arktky  ·  1566 days ago  ·  link  ·

Apologies for spam, getting 'deadlink' when attempting to comment =\

arktky  ·  1566 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Reddit has done it again

I dislike voat since it's mostly being endorsed by /r/all users, /r/all is usually filled with low quality content that makes my head feel numb.

rinx  ·  1566 days ago  ·  link  ·

I call it the total request live problem. When reddit was small it felt like this community, just people talking. But once it got to millions of users what rose to the top was like the stuff you'd see on TRL, tired and unoriginal.

user-inactivated  ·  1566 days ago  ·  link  ·

Reddit is only good for its small subreddits. That's the only reason I still have an account there. Though I'm quickly thinking of dropping that altogether too.

Jacob  ·  1566 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'll probably keep using the site until most of the individual communities have quit camp. The awful problem is that the communities are all going to go in different directions :( I don't want to use reddit AND hubski AND voat AND Aether...

arktky  ·  1566 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 2015 Reddit drama part Dooks: Default subreddits going private for some reason

I don't think anything will change unless their bottom-line is hurt, at best users leaving in droves means less reddit gold getting sold.

jug  ·  1566 days ago  ·  link  ·

Or people staying for the content and communtiy, but feeling less of a connect with the administration so that they stop donating. Which would in a sense be even worse since they are still consuming resources.

arktky  ·  1585 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why are you what you are politically?

I'm pretty clueless about B.C. politics but it always seemed to me that BC aligned more with the east than the other western provinces.

jinxedlinxed  ·  1585 days ago  ·  link  ·

The older generation, yes. They do tend to favour that of the East, basically because its been ingrained after so many years of being shut down.... But my generation saw all that and were (as I see it) forced into apathy or extremism..

It could change because again Alberta(& the west in general) isn't as divided from the east as it used to be.

I personally do vote in every election from municipal to federal, I believe voting is more than just casting a vote for your team but also representing your demographic. If only parents voted it doesn't matter if the politicians were conservative or socialist, they're going to try and work for that demographic.

I think we need electoral reform, the problem is every debate I see on the matter we can't seem to agree on what kind. I think we need STV.

arktky  ·  1585 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Facebook says no sex apps on Oculus, but won’t discuss limits on violence

Classic American response. Violence? No problem. Nudity? Hell no.

VR is inevitable and human nature cannot be stopped, I think they'll be kicking themselves down the line.

Grendel  ·  1585 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, but meanwhile, they're holding progress back!

am_Unition  ·  1585 days ago  ·  link  ·

Don't despair, not even terrible intellectual property and copyright laws colluding with terrible business decisions can stave off VR sexbots for long.

bfv  ·  1585 days ago  ·  link  ·

You, my friend, need to google "teledildonics". The future came, but like most things VR, the dream was better than the reality.

am_Unition  ·  1583 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ya know... I really did need to google teledildonics.

I too live in western Canada, you do know Harper is an Albertan right? I don't think the east-west divide is nearly as bad as it once was. This province always votes conservative for the exact reasons you stated.

lil  ·  1585 days ago  ·  link  ·

Which province? Alberta, where you suddenly and currently have an NDP government?

Oh, you mean federally? That could change.

Meanwhile Canadians, jinxedlinxed and arktky welcome to hubski.

Canada does not have proportional representation. If it did, would you feel as though your vote counted?

arktky  ·  1585 days ago  ·  link  ·

jinxedlinxed  ·  1585 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think Alberta has different priorities (I.e. oil) than B.C. and it shows in the polls.

arktky  ·  1585 days ago  ·  link  ·