We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
am_Unition's comments
am_Unition  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Gravity wave have been detected, and the optical source identified.

We have entered a new era of cosmology.

And now that the method has proven to be indispensable, we should build LISA ASAP.

am_Unition  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How to spot a financial crisis before it spots you

What really bothers me is that Trump and/or his strategists have undoubtedly concluded that a new enemy/war would have a net positive effect on his approval rating. And he needs that.

kleinbl00  ·  12 hours ago  ·  link  ·

"Disasters are great for GDP but terrible for the economy."

- paraphrased from a JP Morgan Chase note a few weeks back

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hurricane Ophelia is headed for...Ireland

Expected to happen more often.

Granted, that's just a single study. But if I was a betting man, I'd wager that in a century the accumulated statistics will more or less confirm many of these climate change predictions involving more storms, of more intensity, in more places.

Devac  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

2014 (762):

2015 (506):

2016 (634):

2017 (395 counts):

Seems legit.

raisin  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Realized I was going back and forth trying to see how the numbers changed throughout the years, so I made a little hurricane count graph:

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! Also: d'oh! It didn't occur to me to make one myself.

hurricane

Those are actually tornadoes and waterspouts. I'd expect the 2017 value to rise over the Autumn, though.

raisin  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the correction! And yeah, the 2017 number seems low, but the year is far from over.

am_Unition  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Yo dawg, Google heard you like machine learning...

Let me be Xplicit; A google image search for "Xzibit machine learning" turned up (what I would classify as) underwhelming results. :(

edit: sorry, got drunkski last night

am_Unition  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: PSA: OnePlus has been tracking the shit out of users for the past years

I use ImageMagick to do things like that, it's remarkably lightweight (nowhere near the disk space required for photochop), but still very powerful.

And not that you asked, but after I've built all my image frames from the data, I stitch them together into .mp4's with ffmpeg. Video data products are so obviously the future, but don't tell all the old men who still get printed journals delivered to physical mailboxes.

am_Unition  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: End of the Road: Will automation put an end to the American Trucker?

Correct! This is a rare violation of "Betteridge's law of headlines".

Gem  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hehe, just noticed the "old news" tag.

am_Unition  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Half the universe’s missing matter has just been finally found

It's quite a bit of matter, but distributed over a huge amount of space. There's a lot of space in between galaxies, so the average density is nowhere near as high as a galaxy's, but it all adds up to be a large amount of the total mass in the universe. The Milky Way's diameter is 100,000 light years, and the distance to our nearest neighbor, Andromeda, is 2.5 million light years. I would suspect that the amount of matter in the tendrils connecting two galaxies is inversely proportional to the distance between them (but I don't care enough to actually read the paper, because my unfortunately finite intellectual capital is already stretched vanishingly thin at the moment).

nowaypablo  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah, duh, there's a lot of space in space. Thanks.

am_Unition  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 247th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I'm scraping a soundcloud feed every couple of days.

Man, if I had the time, I'd sample that Love Apple hook into a real nice bit of nu disco. It's very likely that you'd hate the result, but at least I wouldn't be working on graded homework assignments at age 30.

cgod  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm not anti-disco but I have no idea if I'd like it nu.

steve  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd sample that Love Apple hook

My wife walked by and asked "what are you listening to?"

I answered "some new music that I can already hear in a remix"

am_Unition  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 247th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

The new Darius turned out OK, but I hope he's working on a major album.

Darius is one half of Cherokee. Ugh, it's 6+ years later, and "Sable Doux" never gets old to me.

cgod  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Lol, six years old qualifies as brand new music to me.

am_Unition  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm scraping a soundcloud feed every couple of days.

cgod  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm not anti-disco but I have no idea if I'd like it nu.

steve  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd sample that Love Apple hook

My wife walked by and asked "what are you listening to?"

I answered "some new music that I can already hear in a remix"

am_Unition  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 4, 2017

I sang TBTF (w/ my guitar, too) to a girl once, but then I met the love of my life.

Youth is nuts(, yo).

edit: WanderingEng - I mean this one. I guess it never really got big, but it resonated with me, for whatever reason. Wow, almost a decade ago. Fuuuuck.

am_Unition  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I made some vaporwave crap
am_Unition  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I’m Out of Empathy. I’m Out of Pity. I’m Out of Patience.

It's 3:50 AM local time, and I've just checked the weather forecast. I've wrapped my notebooks and the papers I graded tonight in saran wrap for my backpack, because my commute is public transport and a couple miles on foot. An umbrella is only good around here if you're not on the leading edge of a squall line, and god (RIP) only knows if I'll be so fortunate tomorrow.

Short answer: Yes (but not to your last question, moreso your direction). I'll get back to you with more words than just that one in another couple/few/maybe-only-one days.

I dunno, duderz. I've got nothin'. We're absolutely headed further down the rabbit hole of extreme political polarization, racial tension, and speculative economic foundations.

The ultimate conspiracy theorist in me hypothesizes that this was all by design, that the eventual outcome is a post-political landscape in which the only way to stay sane is to abstain from participating in governance at any level (that's, like, what theyyyyy want, man). The optimist in me thinks that this is all an unavoidable stage in the maturation of the internet. I know we'll trudge through the challenges, one way or the other. Either way, we need to start seriously re-examining how society ingests, processes, and responds to information. Looks like Russia has beaten us to the punch, at least domestically. But I do wonder about the scale and success of our own intelligence agencies' presumably similar operations abroad.

Rural America is going to lose the information war to their educated urban counterparts. In many ways, they already have, but they're gonna do their damnedest to ruin allllllll the nice things on their way to the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder. And again, liberal/urban America has plenty of issues, but once they get past the identity politics thing, the wheels that have been spinning might begin to grip some pavement.

Spoiler: We're going to have to embrace cold (emphasis - BORING) statistics in our efforts, because emotionally-laden rhetoric is currently blowing out the nation's proverbial gaskets. And which group of folx have shown the most disdain (on top of a lack of a basic understanding) for unbiased, numerically-inclined analyses? Welp, Roy Moore and his ilk, for starters. And hey, a lot of the dumbest people are dying (sorry, grandma).

Cheers! :D

johnnyFive  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

So a couple thoughts on this.

First, in terms of the conspiracy theory angle, have you read Sheldon Wolin's work on Inverted Totalitarianism? He posits a form of government that has the trappings of democracy, but none of the actual citizen involvement due in part to making everyone feel like their voice doesn't matter.

As for the information war, I think you're largely right. Really this is an unfortunate case of a lot of people being left behind by their country. But I think that they're actually the canaries in the coalmine. Those of us in white collar jobs have a much greater cushion against the greed of the 1%, and unemployment remains a lot lower among our cadre. But you'll notice it's getting worse, and if nothing changes, I expect another generation or two will see levels of poverty and drug addiction from college-educated households approaching those that we see in Coal Country right now. Thankfully, once enough senators' kids can't find work, I think we'll start seeing some policy changes.

ButterflyEffect  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

A big chunk of my job is driven around collecting and analyzing data, and making statistics into something useful in a manufacturing environment. Even Engineers as a whole don't have a firm grasp of both definitions and the math behind statistical analysis (why does normality matter, yo?). The shitty part is if you don't set things up correctly, or you p-hack, etc. etc. then your statistics are junk. So, I agree with you, but there is a lot of danger there, as I'm sure you already know. How do you educate people on this kind of thing?

The two biggest problems I think we have (what do you think here?):

1. The Fairness Doctrine needs to come back.

2. We need to have a massive overhaul and reinvestment in our public educational system.

Are either of these things going to happen anytime soon (if ever)? HAH.

am_Unition  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

If I had to guess, his comment is an observation of the fact that the only people that will read this Esquire article are people who already agreed with its premise, so the piece has effectively changed nothing. I agree with the article, but I would guess it would never be allowed as an op ed in rural America's newspapers, for example.

What to do?

ButterflyEffect  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah, if that's the case the you would think #wanking is accomplishing the same thing as the article ;)

What can I do to impact a person in any part of Alabama? Or rural Michigan? Or suburban Texas? Fuck all, really, I don't live there, I don't have family there, I have no connection to those places whatsoever. Shy of moving to any of those places, the best I can is to donate to political races, the ACLU, the SPLC, Planned Parenthood, etc. To think there is more I can do for those places and people is to put a savior complex on myself. What am I doing? Volunteering for two organizations regularly, three others on occasion, donating to certain non profit agencies, and trying to make the world immediately around me a bit better of a place.

am_Unition  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Cheers! :D

johnnyFive  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

So a couple thoughts on this.

ButterflyEffect  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

The two biggest problems I think we have (what do you think here?):

1. The Fairness Doctrine needs to come back.

Are either of these things going to happen anytime soon (if ever)? HAH.

am_Unition  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

b_b  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I die a little each time I am reminded that my once reasonable home has now thrown in its lot with Alabama. Kid Rock's stupid ass covered Sweet Home Alabama a few years back, and he's apparently running to make Roy Moore the second worst Senator (a hard title to grab, because actually nobody seems to know what Kid Rock's policy objectives [lol] are or if he has any beyond "being white trash is cool and so is being a Senator, so fuck you, I'm running").

Roy Moore was an officer of the court who literally believed that the laws of the US are based on the 10 commandments, despite the fact that (a) very few overlap, and (b), if we stopped coveting our economy would collapse. There's no combating that with words, because it's disprovable in a single sentence.

OftenBen  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm gonna tell you right now, there's no argument you can make that will make a person in Rural Michigan give up their guns.

Gun policy has to address the realities of people living in environments where law enforcement can not be counted on for personal protection.

rd95  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

. . . The article isn't about guns. It's talking about Roy Moore, claiming him to be a theocratic fundamentalist, and how voting him to be the next senate nominee is a damning statement about conservatives.

OftenBen  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Excuse me.

I read the comments about rural folks, checked the title and assumed that this was another hit piece on people who need guns to put food on the table or defend themselves.

Mea culpa.

rd95  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nah. It's cool. Read the article though, it's a bit heavy handed in my opinion, but it does have a few points.

OftenBen  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I did. I have almost* nothing to say.

Society advances one funeral at a time.

am_Unition  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 27, 2017

what I was happening

You gotta get some R&R, bro. I'm sure you've had "the procedure", but still, ya know, your health n' stuff.

edit: and truth be told, I'm jealous of your drive, because grad school is a joke.

mk  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

:/ for real.

I'm not sure it's drive at this point. I mean, it is, but it's also that funny way your legs go when you are running down hill.

oyster  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

Have you tried setting reminders in your phone ? You could name them things like "pubski", "eat", "breathe", or even "pat yourself on the back". You seem like you could maybe use those.

mk  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

That is ultimately reasonable.

_refugee_  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

can't you bot post pubskis? you know, this fancy thing i've heard of called automation?

i'm joking, they're putting me on an automation initiative at work, so now all i see is robots

but really i'm serious tho

steve  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·
_refugee_  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

this syncs beautifully with any nonvocal electronic music

anyone else here listen to ratatat cuz i'm just getting into it but i dig, i dig

steve  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

ratatat - yes. I only have a few tracks from many years ago... but I like.

also - am I doing something wrong? I thought I could post a gif here and have it just show up... hmmm.

thenewgreen  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

but it's also that funny way your legs go when you are running down hill.
It could not be put in a better way.