We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
am_Unition's comments
am_Unition  ·  4 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Total solar eclipse road trip

Ah man. We're going to be ships in the night, I'm afraid. I'm with a pretty sizeable group, and I don't have my own wheels up here. We'll disembark early Tuesday morning, and trying to meet up on Monday is probably nothing short of impossible.

I'll make it up to your usual neck of the woods someday, no worries.

am_Unition  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Total solar eclipse road trip

Are you predicting extinction of the human race or something?

am_Unition  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Total solar eclipse road trip

I'm in Crossville (lol), TN. Beautiful country.

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I'm going to be in Knoxville tomorrow, leaving Friday evening...

am_Unition  ·  4 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I'll make it up to your usual neck of the woods someday, no worries.

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump Tells Aides He Has Decided to Remove Stephen Bannon

I've seen you talk about the Strauss-Lowe framework elsewhere recently. I dunno if I would take an absolutist stance on it one way or another, but I have independently concluded that there is something very powerful about "living" knowledge. I definitely agree that as the vets pass away, a society is more likely to get back on the war path. 'bout that time, now.

I don't expect a full-out race war, though. Surely, the split in the U.S. is nowhere near 50/50 pro/anti white supremacy.

How you feel about it doesn't matter. How I feel about it doesn't matter. Fact of the matter is, Bannon is so into it he made a goddamn movie about it.

A second, more alarming, interaction did not show up in the film. Bannon had clearly thought a long time both about the domestic potential and the foreign policy implications of Strauss and Howe. More than once during our interview, he pointed out that each of the three preceding crises had involved a great war, and those conflicts had increased in scope from the American Revolution through the Civil War to the Second World War. He expected a new and even bigger war as part of the current crisis, and he did not seem at all fazed by the prospect.
bfv  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fact of the matter is, Bannon is so into it he made a goddamn movie about it.

to be fair...

...about great men fucked over by the masses, herein played by black people.

bfv  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, yeah. I submit that Steve Bannon is more interested in selling racism than the form it has to take for people to buy it.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Hmmmm - there's the real discussion. What interests Steve Bannon?

Hitler was a racist (duh). By that, I mean he actively wanted the Aryan race to wipe everyone else out for the good of the only people he considered human. If the Jews survived and prevailed, good on 'em because it proved that they were the superior bloodline and There Can Be Only One.

Bannon is a racist but I think if good old White Anglo Saxon Protestants were dominant and ascendant he wouldn't give two shits about the brown people. He's a racist in that the off-whites are interfering with his exceptionalism.

For Hitler, the racism was the thing. Solve ethnic competition and you solve everything else. For Bannon, so long as Whitey ends up on top where he belongs darkies can dark anywhere they wanna dark. I actually think Bannon is more concerned with the form racism takes than the actual racism but it's not like we're drinkin' buddies. I just know a couple documentaries' worth.

If somebody like Roger Stone is increasingly influencing Trump as others bow out, this could end more poorly than I'd thought it would.

Hopefully Kelly can keep things in check. I'd love to pretend that I don't really care, or actively want things to violently implode, but there are people's lives on the line, in many ways.

1) Nobody tells Trump what to do.

In one stark example, the president’s dislike of being told what to do played a role in his decision to abruptly ban all transgender people from the military: a move opposed by his own defense secretary, James Mattis, and the head of the Coast Guard, who vowed not to honor the president’s decree.

The president had grown tired of White House lawyers telling him what he could and could not do on the ban and numerous other issues such as labor regulations, said one informal White House adviser. While multiple factors were in play with the transgender ban, Trump has grown increasingly frustrated by the lawyers’ calls for further study and caution, so he took it upon himself to tweet out the news of the ban, partly as a reminder to the lawyers who’s in charge, the adviser said.

2) "Put it this way: 'Not my president' used to sound like an extreme slogan. Now it has more or less become the operating principle for key parts of the U.S. system."

Odder  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

David Brooks is off today.

Paul Krugman filling in for David Brooks might be my new favorite thing.

tehstone  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

And yet he has the gall to claim that he was "waiting for more information/all the facts" before making a statement on Charlottesville. This shit is far from new, but somehow it never ceases to amaze me.

Sorry, this comment is private.

There is nothing that will embarrass this man.

I think we're going to be probing that territory more and more :D

am_Unition  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Looks like Charlotesville is really starting to backfire for White Power groups

Devac throwin' down in Latin makes me feel insequir :/

When I non-sequit here it feels like a criminal violation, and all off-topic talk should be relegated to pubski. Sometimes I even feel remorse for bumping a post such as this one with irrelevant comment chains, just like I'm doing this very instant. But not badly enough to forego pushing "contribute"...

Then, maybe several minutes to an hour or two later, I'll sometimes add an edit with slight signs of remorse.

Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

When I non-sequit here it feels like a criminal violation

This just means you are an insequitur when it comes to the rules.

Now, thanks to my limitless off-topic powers, everything will seem more relevant. Carry on.

am_Unition  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Devac throwin' down in Latin makes me feel insequir :/

am_Unition  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: HYPER-REALITY

The idea of an inescapable interface is scary. Some say that's all life is already, but I dunno. At least life's pretty streamlined.

speeding_snail  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Scary indeed. All those ads, all the information coming your way all the time! It would be maddening. At least with all those access devices, I can simply turn them off when it becomes too much.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
am_Unition  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Looks like Charlotesville is really starting to backfire for White Power groups

By "good job", I guess I meant "the only source of weather I ever consult", and I use it multiple times each day.

Saying "a 30% chance of rain on X-day" is woefully lacking compared to the hourly breakdown that wunderground provides. They do great with large-scale weather systems, but when a stationary front is overhead, I like to test my own guesses against their models. Under some conditions, I can really clean up.

tl;dr - yes, fuck accuweather and weather.com

The guys from Accuweather straight up told Nate Silver that if it's a 60% chance of rain they'll say 75% because people are less likely to be mad at them if it doesn't rain and they were expecting it than if it does and they weren't.

Choads.

am_Unition  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 'Boomers don't have a monopoly on self-righteous Millennial hate

Step one to looking like a dumbass: Failing to even offhandedly define where you're drawing your line in the sand for the birth years constituting millienial vs. Gen X, etc. before making sweeping numerical comparisons.

Step two: Considering yourself a member of the only generation not 100% detrimental to society.

It’s not those who stormed the beaches and won the war, nor the hula-hooped millions who followed, nor what we have coming out of the colleges now—it’s Generation X that will be called the greatest.

There are plenty more steps, but I'm done, because I suspect that exactly no one around here needs any convincing.

edit: hahahahha, you should click on Rich Cohen's name and see his collection of previous "work"

I totally did. I've been meaning to read the Marlon Brando one.

In fairness, "generations" are pretty wiggly. It isn't so much when you were born, it's who your parents were - if you were part of the Baby Boom after WWII, you grew up during the Long Boom and are a Baby Boomer. If you are a Baby Boomer, your kids are Millennials. If you were born before the end of WWII, as in, you were born anywhere from the Roaring 20s to 1945, you are the "Silent Generation" and your kids are Generation X.

But even that gets nice and preposterous as I am squarely Generation X but most of the kids in my high school were Millennials while my wife counts as half GenX, half Millennial because her dad was born in '45 and her mom in '46.

TIL.

Maybe not the same guys in charge of wunderground.com, but both groups did/do a good job.

Edit: "Maybe"

A PSA from your local weather enthusiast

Wunderground is owned and operated by The Weather Network, formerly known as The Weather Channel. It is largely made up of members of the Citizen Weather Observer Program (CWOP) as well as public NOAA data. Unlike Accuweather, which prides itself on telling people what they want to hear, Wunderground provides raw NOAA data and forecasts where available, and its own probabilistic curve fits where not. Wunderground reciprocates for this data by providing free memberships, free hosting of webcams and a general community atmosphere that Accuweather, a bunch of neoconservative fucktards that want to privatize NOAA, don't think you want or need.

Note that your iPhone? It spits up Accuweather.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled non sequitur.

tacocat  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

The fact that non sequitor isn't in common use is pretty unfortunate. Because it's a term for a thing I do regularly in conversation.

I was also scared you were going to tell me some reason not to use weather underground. I'm relieved. I'm not a weather nerd but I have 4 weather apps on my phone because the weather can be important and I'm not the kind of person who complains when the forecast is wrong because I know it's an almost an impossible feat to attempt in the first place.

If you complain about TV weather men being wrong you should be given a Farmer's Almanac and told to deal with that to guess if you're going to get wet

am_Unition  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

When I non-sequit here it feels like a criminal violation

This just means you are an insequitur when it comes to the rules.

am_Unition  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Devac throwin' down in Latin makes me feel insequir :/

The TV guys get short shrift. They have to say "looks like it might rain" and if it doesn't rain they're full of shit. On the other hand, the NWS gets to say "65% chance of rain" and if it doesn't rain the probability just wasn't high enough. They're saying the same thing.

am_Unition  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

tl;dr - yes, fuck accuweather and weather.com

Choads.

am_Unition  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump rips Amazon, says it causes 'great damage to tax paying retailers'

Hahah, we're all allowed to have some mental dichotomies, and I see where she's coming from. Still funny though. :)