We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
_refugee_'s comments
_refugee_  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Does anyone know anything about personal finance stuff?

Don't do that.

The difference between gambling and investing is ROI.

_refugee_  ·  23 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Women Won't Date You Because You're Awful

Yea sometimes I find something fun and inciting and just drop it on hubski and run off cackling. Slash refusing to check my responses for a week bc the post might be fun to read but that doesn't mean I feel like defending it - or dealing with the negativity.

It's my version of shitposting.

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Women Won't Date You Because You're Awful

I'm pleasantly surprised to report I ignored all orange alerts for four days after posting this article for nothing.

b_b  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

As in, the vitriol you were expecting to encounter never materialized?

_refugee_  ·  23 hours ago  ·  link  ·

It's my version of shitposting.

_refugee_  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 20, 2017

YAS RUNNING FINGS

Ps I picked up fall running again this week, quite in line with my ush. I do better at it ever year though methinks

_refugee_  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 13, 2017

I'm at my friend's house with my sister. We decided "Wednesday is for the girls!!!(dance moves)" It'a all Papa Johns, Shocktop and Rick and Morty. Well, my friend is drinking Seaquench with a tequila floater, but some of us have been under the weather all day and hard liquor is beyond our capabilities.

Friend's got a great dog, Rosebud - but, in the nature of nicknames and especially nonverbal animal nicknames, Rosebud lately often becomes "Ro-butt" or even "Robot." I've got a great (fat black calico) cat called Ruth, and I live with my sister. Ruth often becomes "Roofie" or "Woof" (lately, even, "Woo"). Guess what we keep accidentally calling the dog.

Moments in a life. The older I get, the more I fully realize this is my only body and all of its past becomes part of what I carry through each future day. But that's not morbid...it's kind of interesting and cool. Besides, it's probably the best teacher of cause and effect I could have.

ButterflyEffect  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting. We're about the same age and as time goes on I seem to feel more and more of a disconnect between myself and my body. A lack of "harmony" (or whatever).

At least you're self aware enough to recognize the entitlement, cuz that makes a p big difference in a person.

_refugee_  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Seven Days of Heroin - This is What an Epidemic Looks Like

Tbh, it took me multiple sessions to read the article in full and yea, I cried at a couple of points.

But hey, how else do you get across the severity of such an epidemic?

WanderingEng  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

“I need to hear you are alright.”

My mom told me this week she was glad to hear my voice when I called to check in. But that was after a well planned hiking trip where she knew my plan in advance and had GPS tracking of my location. Up to this point I didn't think this article would make me cry, but wow. While our lives took very different paths, the concerns of our loved ones are very similar.

_refugee_  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Irma Gets Personal

_refugee_  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dining Out? They’re Playing With Your Mind

this is an ad for a marketing agency

_refugee_  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 6, 2017

I like you here.

steve  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

But IRL I'm kind of a prick...

_refugee_  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 6, 2017

I'm 27, and my life is not about giving other people what they want.

In other words, I dumped someone

steve  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

hey ref... sorry. Even when it's the right thing - it can be tough.

_refugee_  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Irma is going to be a Cat4 Hurricane, heading for Florida and the Gulf of Mexico

A desktop?

it's weird strikethrough puts text in a serif font (times I think, while the rest of the site looks like Arial)

ThurberMingus  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

The strikethrough is unicode characters, not html. It might not be available in the default font on your device.

_refugee_  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

A desktop?

_refugee_  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 30, 2017

see edit but basically, in this sort of scenario, I do wonder how much it would hurt just to agree with him.

My book club always had waaaay better conversations when everyone disagreed or had different opinions. We found that it was harder to talk about novels we were all in agreement on. Hmm?

rd95  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

If I'm being brutally, brutally honest. I think agreeing with him would hurt my image with my other co-workers because I know some make fun of him for believing in this stuff (to be fair, we all poke fun at eachother for various things, from height to enjoying professional wrestling to playing too many video games) and I don't want to be thought of as someone who believes in that stuff too. At the same time, and this is part of the reason why I find the conversations so weird and uncomfortable, is that I find the ideas so against reasonableness that I find them distasteful to say the least. I feel like agreeing with him just to placate him as wrong.

kleinbl00

oyster  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

Have you tried just saying "cool" and changing the subject ? You aren't going to change that type of persons opinion, they probably need to believe in the crap for some weird reason. You might have dug yourself in too deep for this trick though since you've engaged him in the conversations before.

rd95  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think if the socratic method won't work, I'll just start trying to change and/or ignore the subject. I'll have to figure out a way to do it politely.

This coworker, is he your peer, superior, or below? Speaking strictly in terms of actual work titles. How does he impact your job at work, speaking strictly in a work-related sense?

Cuz honestly, those answers can play a very real impact on how you should try to handle him.

Edit: Also. Have you tried just agreeing with him? You don't have to actually agree with him. But have you tried just telling him you do? Jw

rd95  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

He's a peer. We both hold the same job title, do the same tasks, etc.

_refugee_  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·