_refugee_'s comments
_refugee_  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How to Beat LinkedIn: The Game

I wrote a very long comment and now i removed it but basically i think this article's more funny than it is a functionally effective satire; the idea's more interesting than well-executed -- BUT ALSO it's smart, and it's funny, and it's got an interesting premise and closes strong.

so it's not bad

but really, anyone else feel the argument (the actual argument being made) leaves a little to be desired?

points #3 and 4 don't seem to align to the article's premise/thesis : it seems more like the author wanted to satirize those elements of linkedin than had considered whether those steps would actually help a user 'win' (as defined so vaguely, once in the article) at the game of linkedin

the win-case presented for the game is so generic i don't understand what it has to do with linked in (except that the author wanted to write about linked in)

Anyone else see what I'm seeing? Any little bit? At all?

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Headed North

so i'm curious, is it pronounced the "you-pee" or the "up"? seen this phrase in a couple of comments recently

b_b  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

You pee. But I've never seen it spelled phonetically before, and it's really funny. People from that place are referred to as Yoopers.

psychoticmilkman  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

But is does just mean the Upper Peninsula, right? I had no idea locals had a pronunciation for the acronym.

thenewgreen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It does.

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 18, 2018

someone told me that they hoped i never have children with the intent of delivering me an insult

jokes on you bb i already decided i didn't want children years ago #childfree

I definitely think this post is more about lambasting fragile masculinity than absolute fact... But hey I have heard many positive reviews about the use of baby wipes :)

_refugee_  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 18, 2018

sending you love

Is there a particular context? JW. A birthday gift differs from, say, an engagement present.

sd86  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Whatever context you want. :)

_refugee_  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Kobayashi Vs. A Bear in a Hot Dog Eating Contest

i hope john irving has seen this video

god if shoes could actually make me fast at running. WORLD WATCH OUT

wasoxygen if you haven't seen this - oh just saw. you beat me to it

i think i'm picking running up again this fall. but not $250+ shoes

_refugee_  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: America’s Millennials Are Waking Up to a Grim Financial Future

Preach

tacocat  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I now wait for kleinbl00 to prosthelytize to me for 'thinking poor' because I not infrequently mention that I'm broke as a joke so I'm a special case that needs moralizing, unwanted financial advice.

So I had that automation project for a while, while I was real hype about but don’t expect anyone to remember.

That got handed off to a senior manager because over six months it became rapidly apparent the level of automation that senior-senior management wanted us to effect was way beyond my level of influence, aka: I can’t make managers invest time they don’t have and I can’t order around my peers and next-level-up associates on how to do their work.

That snr manager and I had a relatively-okay-as-far-as-it-goes-considering-it-was-a three hour long meeting to hand off the automation project. He used to work in IT. I’m confident he can handle this better than I can. I’m happy to hand it off.

One thing he said to me, which was confidential but also imho as a ‘millennial’ completely on point, was “I think our department will have to shift from being transactional auditors, to basically technical managers who oversee scripting and backend automation testing. And I don’t frankly know who’s ready for that.”

I’m good at my job. I’m pretty fucking good for 28, at least. But I know most of what I’m good at I’m also smart enough to really efficently and accurately automate. I’m talking gap reports and targeting high risk populations to pinpoint errors, stuff you could never do with a random and manually reviewed population.

But like there’s only so many reports I can ever make before I cover most of everything,

I gotta learn how to write reporting and read scripting, man, I just don’t see any other option.

Page 10, Exhibit E5.

McKinsey is not optimistic about the future of financial services.

Yea I’ve read this comment so many times and I just don’t see how the first part leads to the second part at all.

tacocat  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've read it once and stopped stone cold because I don't know what a NIMBY is and looking it up on my phone is a hassle right now

edricarica  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Not In My Back Yard"

as wikipedia describes it : "a pejorative characterization of opposition by residents to a proposed development in their local area"

mostly it seems to be when middle-class people want, say, a new runway built but don't want their houses to be in the flyover zone, or demand sustainable power but don't wand wind turbines in sight of their gardens.

Curse me it’s the originality

I'm so fucking lucky

That being said, and being thankful for, having been lucky up til now doesn't mean I'm going to stay that way for any guaranteed amount of future time. Although I don't necessarily follow the same chain expressed here elsewhere, I do think a lot about automation and worry what it will do to the job landscape. Especially my job landscape.

I need to start getting some IT/CS certifications.

Also I'm staying living right where I am here, a magical place where you can catch a movie in a theater with reserved recliner seats and a bar for $6 if it's a matinee. My friend from DC was mindblown by the lower COL here when she visited. I'll take it.

My wife got her first degree in math. She graduated into a recession and didn't get hired into any accounting firm so she took a 3-hour class at Egghead Software (before it became Newegg) in MS Access... which of course she put on her resume. Then she interviewed for entry-level at a multinational insurance firm. As she was finishing up the interview, another manager stopped her and asked her about her "database experience" (the other manager had been scouring resumes). So my wife wasn't hired as an entry-level accounting trainee, she was hired as a database administrator and software architect.

One afternoon's worth of MS Access.

Still friends with that boss, by the way. We actually ended up moving to LA within six months of each other, and moving back within three for completely unrelated reasons. My wife officiated her wedding and they had a lot of our stuff in their storage unit for a year. We have brunch or barbecue like once every six weeks.

_refugee_  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Page 10, Exhibit E5.

McKinsey is not optimistic about the future of financial services.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.