We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
_refugee_'s comments
_refugee_  ·  4 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Seriously, the guy has a point

pepsiiiiiiii

_refugee_  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: You're too busy.

I'm a hardcore list gal, myself.

Sorry, this comment is private.
_refugee_  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: MeetUpSki Location Location Location

ay bro when you are in NYC lmk

_refugee_  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what have you been watching lately?

The O. J. Simpson murder trial had always interested me, so when the new miniseries, "The American People V. O.J. Simpson" popped up on Netflix, it was a must-watch. I'm about 2/3 of the way through. It's been really interesting watching the stumbles and failures of the prosecution, combined with the smarmy evil combined intelligence of the defense, as the case progresses. Warning: we know how this ends; it's a tragedy.

Has anyone here seen Black Mirror? I started an episode but it seemed pretty downer.

I also re-watched The Shining (on Netflix) and now re-reading the novel to compare differences first-hand.

veen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

That OJ one has been on my watchlist, but I wonder if it's interesting for non-Americans. I only know OJ because people keep referring to his trial.

That's pretty much the premise. Some episodes are good at being confrontational, others less so. Between them they're unrelated so you can watch them in pretty much any order.

rezzeJ  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's definitely worth it as a non-American. The only thing I knew about OJ Simpson before I went in was that he was famous and involved in this big murder case. I didn't even know he was specifically an American Football player. Great acting all-round and it stays exciting throughout even though you know how it ends.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
_refugee_  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 12, 2017

hey perhaps more importantly I GOT AN ETSY STORE OPEN AGAIN

Got 9 listings up as of this AM but something like 5 additional book styles/covers need to be added before my total inventory's represented. What I'm saying is hit that F5 through the day and through tomorrow too and get me some pagevyaaas. Spend some money. Spam people with my link.

And in May I'll have a vendor table at a little local art hall event one of the bars I like holds every month. That is far scarier than the Etsy shop, fwiw. But I'm committed. Eek.

b_b  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

FYI bookbinding is my family business. I know several professional bookbinders. It's not an easy skill to obtain practical advice and instruction in, so if you ever want me to put you in contact with anyone, I'd be happy to. Have no idea of this is something you're interested in, so just disregard if not. Tried to send this as PM but kept getting 502 error.

Edit: just got a 502 here, as well, and it went through, so probably I blew up your​ inbox with the same message 4 times. Sorry!

rd95  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oooh. I hope you do a write up of the bar event. I'd love to read it.

Last night my sister and I made a deal. She'd help me get weed but then I had to go out to the bar with her. Last call here is 12:45 (or 1 if you're pushing it). We got to the bar at 12. I managed to put down three ref-style (heavy) doubles in that time, made a friend who taught me how to play a game called "Odds are," and in my first try I won the bar's bar game: throw a small metal ring (affixed via string to the ceiling) onto a nail in the wall and get it to hook. I felt such a success I gave my new friend, who'd given me one or two aiming pointers, a high-five. Then, in typical exuberant refugee fashion, I even jumped for joy.

While I was mid-air my new friend, unthinkingly, swung a foot out and intercepted me. By the feel of it, intercepted my ankle, specifically. I went down! I can't remember a drunk wipeout since the summer of 2013 when I happy-houred too hard and got caught in the bike rack outside the next-door convenience store and landed on my back in very bright sunshine some time embarrassingly before 5 to be wasted.

Thankfully, with a guy on either side of me, I was coming back up before I really felt the hit of the floor. My new friend also insisted, both to me and later to my sister, apparently, that he definitely kicked me and that it wasn't just the rum's fault I went down - maybe it wasn't even the rum's fault in majority.

Then I tweeted something I thought was exceedingly clever and proceeded to send it to like, 15 people in my phone. (I'm looking at you, you know who you are.) Because I needed validation of how funny I am. Then I walked 1.5 hours on my bum ankle and finally found a caring place to crash in town, as was wise.

My nights are rarely ever so epic as this and especially when they are Tuesdays. Sharing.

_refugee_  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

hey perhaps more importantly I GOT AN ETSY STORE OPEN AGAIN

b_b  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oooh. I hope you do a write up of the bar event. I'd love to read it.

OftenBen  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·
OftenBen  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
_refugee_  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: CATS - an informal guide

Obligate carnivores. You're either feeding it meat or you're starving it. It's the taurine right?

OftenBen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yup.

I am a crazy cat mom and I have a running water fountain for them. Zeke loves running water (runs to the bathroom whenever he thinks anyone is going to turn on the shower) and used to even shower with me as a kitten. I've read cats in general prefer running water and because of my experience with Zeke I just knuckled under and went for the fountain. (If I turn off the fountain after a few days Zeke gets really, really aggressive about chasing down running water sources. Also, my parents spoil him (turn on the tap for him in the bathroom) which hasn't improved his insistence.)

I have heard wet is bad for their teeth, potentially?

I had a roommate with a cat who developed hives if she ate non-grain-free food.

someguyfromcanada  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I had a cat that would also get in the shower with me every morning! And he really loved ice cubes.

arguewithatree  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've also heard dry food is bad for their teeth. There's no winning with their teeth lol. My tortie got very stinky at one point from tooth delay.

Yeah, my two cats try not to be obvious about it but both follow me around the house. Like, it's not just magic making them appear in whatever room I'm in after 5-10 minutes elapsed.

Zeke comes running to the door when I come home :) He sleeps next to me, sometimes on top of me, all that good stuff. Ruth is a little more reserved but not too much. She gets very friendly in the morning. I am convincing her that she likes laps too.

PS special bonus feature if you got this far, share with us a picture of your cat(s)!

WanderingEng  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ask and ye shall receive.

AnSionnachRua  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't know where my cat is right now, but here's one of a gang of shy kittens that has been hanging around the back garden:

b_b  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
b_b  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.