_refugee_'s comments
_refugee_  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Share a short poem. Here's mine "Dappled Sunlight"

Since this is hubski, I’ll ask “why do you unilaterally hate the police,” instead of commenting that this is a vapid extrapolation of the generally accepted noun, “police” (as in cops) compared to what happens all around us every day, which includes societal corrections that could be termed “policing” but really just serve to align people to a general accepted norm; aka, a lot of behaviors that are diagnosably considered unhealthy (deliberately injuring oneself; deliberately failing to properly take care of oneself) are generally managed through social “policing.” In other words, the societal management of behavior expectations is not unilaterally harmful and it is, at best, immature to view such corrective actions in that light.

Your response to the idea of any kind of pseudo-collective authority implies massive issues with such :) have you heard of NIMBYism?

nil  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Since this is Hubski, I'll point out that your original post is just an edgy comment unrelated to the discussion about how Hubski is being ruined by "pontificates" with no specifics (but technically still poetry because this is all art right?).

Afterward nil responds to snark with snark because this is like the third person he's seen do it in an unrelated thread and is wondering why they keep feeling the need to yell into the wind about this website sucking instead of a) making a separate thread or b) just ignoring the people they don't want to follow, but instead c) reply as if what I said was not snark or a joke but instead a deep intellectual statement that has to be critiqued as if was a thesis statement in a Chicago-format essay in full-condescension mode. Where you assume I don't know what NIMBY is in spite of the fact what you're essentially complaining about is discomfort, people's grandstanding and/or tone of voice which is a conversation that's been beaten to death.

"Pontificates" is a noun that refers to a bishop or pope, but you're probably incorrectly using the verb definition as a noun meaning to "express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous." So somebody is preaching and it is unclear if this is referring to an individual or group of people but regardless Hubski is an insular enough community that it's almost certainly meant to be an attack against someone, or some group who is allegedly acting "pompous" or "dogmatic" but we can't tell who it is.

And then we remember that several good members of the community have quit because they can no longer talk to people without risking offending someone over their "tone of voice" and given how hard it is to parse context in text-based communications it wouldn't be a far leap for someone like you to label them as "arrogant" or "pompous" at times in an impassioned argument, because again, only egotists say what they feel rather than sulking in the corner.

So a certain guy that used to post dope astronomy pics left and I miss him dearly but it's irrelevant. Cops, police, are generally a designated body of persons with authority to use force against individuals under the supposed legal-rational authority of the state. Max Weber describes the state as having a "monopoly on the legitimate use of force in a given area," however this legitimacy is only a mental construction of an average number of citizens' opinions in said geographic area.

The unilateral hate, which isn't actually hate given the joking nature of my statement which blew over your head comes from the ancient religious idea from Christianity that "violence begets violence" or "hate begets hate," and so even supposed "good" violence under the system of legal rational authority (of which the vast majority of it is essentially a collection scam for the criminal justice system over minor administrative infractions) is in of itself wrong and psychologically destructive towards individuals and communities. Given the vast majority of arrests are for minor infractions and cannot be viewed as preventing greater violence overall, the system itself is inherently violent and destructive and as such it attracts people who have no problem locking humans in a cage and extorting families financially over a nugget of weed.

"Pseudo-collective authority", aka social norms can oppress people through both direct emotional violence, e.g., normalized sexism, racism, whatever, denial of opportunities, or by simply creating an environment where certain ideas cannot be expressed. And since you clearly didn't notice the word "tone" in my post, you felt the need to jump straight to the idea of social policing in general, like showering, wtf, rather than the address the specific factor of the tone, of which it's certain tones of voice being unfairly prohibited to distort and ignore valid arguments rather than a bizarre metaphysical harangue about "society" and "normal people" you'd expect from a conspiracy blog.

Good night and be the change you want to see in the world.

nil  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
_refugee_  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Share a short poem. Here's mine "Dappled Sunlight"

Hubski

Why do you let

Pontificates destroy thee

nil  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Because otherwise people are tone policing and I hate the police.

_refugee_  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

nil  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good night and be the change you want to see in the world.

nil  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
_refugee_  ·  126 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Holy shit guys. Someone is describing our lives

I think someone is describing your life, or what you'd like it to be.

clearly

_refugee_  ·  138 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pig brains partially revived hours after death. Here's what it means for people.

Zombies. It means zombies

bfv  ·  138 days ago  ·  link  ·

_refugee_  ·  139 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Der Papiermacher

This IS cool!

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
_refugee_  ·  152 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 17, 2019

Of course

_refugee_  ·  152 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: LOL no.

I really wanna spam them with password resets, but also, can't they write bots for this?

(This is the question I ask everyone now. I suspect the answer in this case is it would not be cost effective.)

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
_refugee_  ·  167 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 3, 2019

Life is grand :) I'm very happy. I'm in my third week of my new job with my old boss who recruited me to this position. I told her in our 10:10 this week that my goal has been to hit it out of the park, and, well...kind of feels like I'm doing it. :)

I've also managed to email the president of the bank and tell my manager my goal is to become a VP in the past two weeks, so if it sounds like my enthusiasm and ambition have paired to climb off the charts, that would be an accurate perception. OH and I founded a work book club! We're going to read Strengthfinders 2.0 first. I'm excited.

I have goals outside of work too, that I've been working steadily towards. I'm maintaing a 60/40 sober days ratio (generally, only drinking Fridays and Saturdays with a few free days sprinkled in there -- I'm saving them for my VA work trip later this month for April). I continue to move towards my goal weight. After I hit that I'll start weightlifting; work has a subsidized gym and part of the $20/month payment includes 2 personal training sessions a week. HAHAHAH. It's so great I can't help but laugh.

This weekend I'm going to a friend's birthday party and I'm bringing a pinata. :D I'm going to Firefly this year, I'm going to my brother's wedding, I'm going to a bachelorette party, I'm having another Hot Ones party, oh and I think I'm going to a horror convention in October. Somewhere in there, I'm going to find a way to visit OftenBen. OH And I'm going to go see the rolling stones whenever my good buddy mick reschedules his tour after he recovers from heart surgery. GROUND. FLOOR. TICKETS, BAYBEEEE

I'm 100% debt free. We're renewing our lease this year so I can save disgusting amounts of money (my savings rate is something like 60%, thanks 401(k) and employer match). Since I've got a pretty defined goal of where I want to go in my career -- at minimum, I've committed to going the route of people management -- that also has got me pretty defined on where I'm going to live in the future. I finished "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Kahnemann (great book btw -- tbh, "Predictable Irrationality" feels kind of like Thinking, Fast and Slow-lite in retrospect) which has a great chapter about base rates. If I want to be a people manager, I need to find a team to manage. Where are the most teams to manage? Well that would be VA of course. So even though I've decided not to move to VA this year, it seems pretty inevitable that's where I'll wind up. Just let me save a full down payment first. I'm really satisfied with the buying ability my new salary from my promotion is going to lend me, although it's highly ambitious to think I'll be able to avoid PMI as a result.

But guys, if I don't strike you as highly ambitious already, then maybe we need to get better acquainted, yes?

I made a sale on the Etsy store! More importantly, I read that book flac and I think it was applewood were talking about -- the Handmade Craft Business book? It was edifying. It was a little more than I needed in some respects, because it's designed for people who've quit their full time job and want to make a full time go of crafting -- and I'm far too in love with my job to do that -- but I think it's way better to get more information than you need and choose from it what will give you, personally, the most value -- than to not get enough information in the first place.

I'm single and while in the long term I continue to know I want a committed relationship, it's honestly very hard for me to even see where a partner would fit into my life right now. I love everything the way it is -- I love my independence, my planning and order, I love basically every choice I'm making. It's hard to envision adding a person to that without feeling limited. I'm very open to it. I'm on two dating apps and even drunkenly paid for 3 months of one -- because I have made a relationship one of my defined long term goals, and as a result feel the need to show progress in attempting to obtain it -- but I really think if/when I meet someone, it's going to be in person. And they are going to have a LOT to handle, let me tell you. :D

Let's see. What more could there possibly be to talk about? Life with my sister is great, and I continue to use that relationship to get better about communicating needs and working as a team with another person. About six months ago someone gave me a boot in the butt when they pointed out that I could complain to them about my sister all I wanted, but what I really needed was to communicate with her about my issues. Slowly but surely, I've been working on that. I think, in the long term, that's only going to make me a better partner for whoever I do fall for.

I really don't have a single thing to complain about. Wait, that's not true. My cat has loose and smelly poops!!!! But you know what? We're experimenting with food until we get her on the right diet.

Speaking of sobriety, the eye contact when you're sober and confident in yourself and have nothing to hide? It gets super intense. Ben can even see it just in photos.

Have a great weekend, y'all. With love, and tolerance.

For the record: Yeah, I'm ok. In fact, I'd say I'm screamingly more than ok. I just have no tolerance for people who act kind of like jerks, namean?

applewood  ·  166 days ago  ·  link  ·

Lady! Congrats on the sale and everything else! It sounds like you have a lot to look forward to.

As for working out, it's awesome that your job will help provide you with a personal trainer. Exercising is a lot easier to do when someone not only gives you advice and knowledge, but also holds you accountable as well.

I saw this video today, while puttering around YouTube, and thought you might like it, seeing as how you both make paper and work with denim as a medium.

kleinbl00 is "fun" and hip, full of shoot first and ask questions later methodology. prove him wrong if you are willing to undertake a cult following similar to rocky horror picture show -- feed the gremlins at midnight -- style interaction

_refugee_  ·  169 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 'Mark all as read' button

You can "dismiss all" from notifications. Just wondering -- are you looking for a function which would be, effectively, an "ignore post"/"ignore future comments" function? Seems to me that might be a little different from a true "mark all as read" -- mainly because it would be a proactive function not a reactive...

spencerflem  ·  169 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was thinking they meant it would remove it from the front page, to mark that that post is fully explored, if I'm reading you right @Creativity

Creativity  ·  168 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm going to try to explain it better!

On this image :

- The first post "LET'S GO SHOOT AN ASTEROID, Y'ALL" is not 'clicked' yet and it appears white.

- The second post "Who Is Left on Hubski?" is 'clicked', and it appears greyish.

I wanted to know if an extension that would mark all my feed as 'clicked'/greyish existed or is an option.

Like this : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hacker-news-mark-all-read/fghfahcbhpdeeaaofcefaoodmfejieok but for Hubski :)

spencerflem  ·  169 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.