_refugee_'s comments
_refugee_  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Do I Escape a Submerged Car? (In Case You Were Wondering)

Hey don’t make fun of the fact that my car has been equipped with short term emergency life supplies ever since the last time I read cujo ! D:

I sincerely hope they bring you comfort and are useless to the end of your days.

Yeah too bad nobody has told all of those anxious people that the metal prongs of your headrest are designed to serve this exact same purpose and they come free with the car in an easy built in and conveinent location

_refugee_  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 6, 2019

My life feels so good right now that to try to talk about it seems sickening -- and that's with having broken up with the latest boyfriend in the past week. Part of the reason it feels so good -- I value myself enough not to put up with bullshit!

There's many vectors in which I'm still improving - still trying to improve - that will never end. But things are already so, so really great that the improvement is just exciting, interesting; a challenge I can't wait to meet.

Life is great. :)

_refugee_  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Cal Newport on Why We'll Look Back at Our Smartphones Like Cigarettes

a lead box lol

You laugh. I had to research the crap out of those things. They're hella expensive. Like $1500 per.

_refugee_  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Are Young People Pretending to Love Work?

You're correct.

_refugee_  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Are Young People Pretending to Love Work?

My work treats me so well that it only took me about 5 years to realize I was a total idiot for trying to complain about most aspects of it.

I call that process “growing up.” But seriously, you wanna come at corporate jobs? Let me just say 10 federal holidays, 15 VAC, unlimited sick, 7.5% 401(k) match, ability to wfh at will, and that’s before I have to even try to stop you with the things I like about the actual work I do. My sister is telling me she is thinking about leaving the restaurant industry and “selling out.”

I said, “what is it, the regular hours or the dependable paycheck that sold you?”

veen  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

unlimited sick

Pardon my ignorance but is that not the norm? Do people just show up if they're terribly ill but ran out of sick days?

I have to admit I can't complain either. 30 free days excluding federal holidays, free pension, free PT, yearly ski trip, holiday bonus and yearly bonus which adds up to about a month and a half of $$.

Devac  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think it's a shorthand for "unlimited paid sick days".

_refugee_  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're correct.

Categorize me cap’n, semantics make me sily

am_Unition  ·  66 days ago  ·  link  ·

ty, ty

GodOfAtheism  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

Cross post. A repost implies that it's that posts second (or third, etc.) time here. a cross post means it's been posted somewhere else first.

am_Unition  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

Common to have few fresh beans tensioning lovers, no? I am posting lots of socially media for advice, very sad, but friends make poetry, and I am smiles for it

_refugee_  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ily

am_Unition  ·  66 days ago  ·  link  ·

ty, ty

_refugee_  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: D.C. Hubski Meetup

Awwww I missed it

am_Unition  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·

Shoulda given you more warning, but yeah I’m like a solid C- at planning.

Edit: I’m free tomorrow night, won’t talk about beans (too much)

_refugee_  ·  72 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 5, 2018

I have talked further with Cute Guy and remain intolerably enthused for this first date. Let it be noted. If Dallas scores first in the first half then he will change my brakes for me. If the Eagles score first in the second half I will cook him short rib. If both happen he will pay the check.

This is the first guy I’ve met who wasn’t the kind of idiot who would try to get a kiss out of that bet in oh well I don’t know it doesn’t matter — the point is that this guy made some smart bets, people. I remain interested, which is quite the feat

_refugee_  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 5, 2018

dude, like, cheer up hubski. i had my 1 1/2 hours of interviews today. i said i felt i'd need to be humble in this new role, that i'd be out of my area of expertise and would need to recognize that. i said i really wanted the job. i said that i'm really interested in change lately, that i'm embracing and seeking out change in my life.

i'll find out in one week approximately

I've felt that the interconnectedness that the internet offers has really helped to tear down the length of styles and fads --

_refugee_  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: People who have moved out of parents, how old were you when you left?

I moved out at 20. Then back in for a little while when j was 24, in and out same year. Then back in for a little while when I was 27, again in and out same head. Stayed about 6 months each time.

_refugee_  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 5, 2018

I've had a kickass year.

Tomorrow I have 3 back-to-back interviews for a position I really want and have been encouraged to apply for from almost every angle.

I'll find out if I get it within another week.

Sounds like a number of people have applied. Sounds like, regardless of my encouragement, that competition will be real -- even if I am the favorite of the hiring manager(s) (which is an IF, not a CERTAIN) I can't fuck around on this; I gotta keep bringing it.

I had a good long talk with my sister last night. One thing we touched on was how I've been trying to change my life over the past year. She told me, "it's like you went to a therapist, except you just did it yourself." I showed her my gratitude journal and talked about how making minimal steps, minimal requirements to achievement, got me so far it was perceivable with a year's distance.

29, and nearly 30, and I think finally basically have come to terms with the last serious break-up. It took two years of thought and effort besides. I'm going on dates now. I have one I'm really excited about on Sunday, actually. Even my sister thinks he's cute. We don't have each other's numbers -- I told him I'd meet him to watch the Dallas/Eagles rivalry game go down, at the same pub where we met earlier this week when a friend of mine turned wingman. I found him on facebook, though, and I know his full name. I know how he feels about guns (when asked if he was carrying in the bar, he reacted with the very appropriate and appreciated shocked face -- yes, we have confirmed, it appears this one is sane). And various random other stuff besides.

There's a temptation to only reward oneself when there's a tangible success you can pin on it. "I can buy whatever I want with my bonus" or "I got a raise so I deserve a big fancy dinner" or "I'm promoted so I can really party wild" or "I lost 20 pounds so I can buy whatever clothes I want" or etc etc. While in the big picture I support the idea that rewards should be merited...

I f*n love the Rolling Stones. And I've wanted to see them for years. And pretty soon, at least one of them is going to die. And regardless of whether I get that job or not, of whether I get that promotion this year or not, of whether I lose those last 5 pounds before 2019 or not...I have worked hard this year. I have changed so much, most importantly my mentality. I've grown a sense of ownership and accountability and responsibility for myself, like I finally understand I can control my actions. Most if not all of them.

I don't need to achieve a specific, not-entirely-within-my-control goalpost to deserve these tickets. I deserve to treat myself with love and kindness and I deserve this crazy, ridiculous, over-the-top, once in a lifetime reward. I've got two tickets that cost more than discogs appraises my whole Stones collections at (well, on average at least). I don't need to know who's coming with me. All I need to know is, whoever I ask, they're out of their goddamn fucking mind if they don't feed blessed and immediately agree to accompany me.

Fuck yeah, rolling stones. When else am I going to see them. They ain't getting any goddamn younger.

_refugee_  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·