We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
_refugee_'s comments
_refugee_  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

I feel really, really strongly that today's internet kerfluffle about "Trump et al"'s attire choices - you know what I'm talking about; that photo of the Pope, Trump, ivanka, and whoever trump's currently wifed - isn't really about what Trump or the Pope is wearing at all. It seems to me everyone throwing shady comments about that photo is 90% commenting on what Ivanka and Melania wore.

I mean, it helps my point in a very serious way that the Pope wears a consistent uniform (papal vestments) and men, in general, when in formal situations such as these, can opt to wear a black or charcoal suit which, while it may vary in details, essentially is a uniform of its own. You wanna comment on this photo? Well I can god damn promise you right from the start you won't be commenting on what the Pope is wearing as that's what he wears every god damn fucking day.

Safe, innit? Steve Jobs didn't stick to his black turtleneck and jeans for no reason or even just personal preference, dude. Consistency reduces opinion/public reaction.

Hillary "successfully stopped the conversation about her clothes" by adopting one of the most neutral fashion options available to professional women ever - a black on black pantsuit - link for reference

What I have observed today is that clearly, Hillary only managed to succeed because she fineessed every element of that super norm-core outfit. Because clearly, opting for basic black formalwear isn't enough for today's society -- Ivanka and Melania both went for that "safe" color option and have still ended up being dragged through every press and opinion piece which cares about catering to the lowest common denominator because, well shucks I guess, the cut of their dresses wasn't simultaneously formal and fashionable enough. Their veils, especially Melania's which was more apparent, didn't conform well enough to our expectations of what American women wear (which, considering the avg American woman doesn't wear any sort of veil or head covering, means that there wasn't a lot of room for them to win regardless of what sort of head covering they might have chosen) so instead, what 90% of the American internet (or so it seems) has found most pertinent to discuss is "what everyone in that Trump/Pope photo was wearing."

Let me say one more thing.

Take out Ivanka and Melania from that photo and you have the Pope in his official uniform and the President in his unofficial uniform (suit). What is there to discuss? Fucking NOTHING.

The furor around this photo and the mocking memes which have arisen from it both baffle and infuriate me.

Aren't there more important things to talk about?

Am I a dreadlocked unshaved hippie ultrafeminist y'all roll your eyes at? Or has everyone else simply not noticed that almost all of the commentary surrounding this photo is really directed towards the women in it, and not the men? Because how the fuck can you throw shade on the Pope wearing the same thing he does every day? And how can you slam the President for wearing a suit? What, should it have been a tux?

I was ashamed to see "feminists" on my facebook rejoin in the opportunity to make catty comments "on the photo overall". This is a veiled critique on gender, people. Nothing more and nothing less, and if you're going to call Ivanka "the bride of Dracula" for what she was wearing then god mother fucking damn it, you can just turn in your "equal rights for all sexes" card to me right. the fuck. now. I will be glad to collect it.

I'm not interested in your counterarguments, so don't fucking make them. Bai

_refugee_  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski idea: registering "mention" nicknames

alt characters and spellings - that's where i see the most potential value - i have had to re-send messages multiple times because i kept fucking a name up, either trying to recall it from memory and forgetting a double character or number in place of an alpha, or etc etc etc.

are username cap sensitive because if so, that's the best reason i've heard for this idea yet

also that would be annoying af if so and i believe that we are smarter/better than that

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
_refugee_  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This is why it's okay to punch Nazis.

404

bfv  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·
_refugee_  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Columbine Shooters, the Girls Who Love Them, and Me

Madonna, Joan and cyndi et al., of course, you mean

;)

_refugee_  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Barack Obama's $400,000 speaking fees reveal what few want to admit

Totally on a side bar here and not trying to engage in the "Well, is Barry a sellout?" discussion, but I am driven to point out that some people would turn down an offer like this not because of morals, but because there is no fucking way in hell I would desire to or be able to speak in front of a crowd like that. I cried reading a poem in front of 12 people once; I chronically blush; eeehhhh, I think I would pass.

Edit: OK, on second thought, I might agree if there was absolutely no content requirement. I could say hi and leave, right?

On another note ... what if we waited to call him a sellout until we heard what he had to say? Would be freakin' hilarious if he takes their money and gives a speech about the necessary overhauls he thinks the banking and investment industry needs.

...yeah, sure, he probably isn't going to do that, but if the rest of you are going to make him a sell-out or a bribe-taker or a smart money man, why can't I make him a maverick?

OftenBen  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would love to see this.

'Thanks for the check guys. You know, you should probably stop buying and selling Senators and members of Congress like NFL free agents.'

You know, I remember having a long conversation with Warren Buffett, who is obviously a friend of mine, but I think he's the greatest investor of our modern era, and he said, you know, I would go and I'd talk to my friends and I'd ask them to explain to me what a default credit swap was, and by the time they got into their fifth minute, I had no idea what they were talking about.And when they got into their tenth minute, I realized they didn't have any idea what they were talking about.

I mean, Alan Greenspan said, I didn't understand at all what they were trading. So I think it's in everybody's interest to get back to a better transparent model.

And we need banking. I mean, right now, there are so many places in our country where the banks are not doing what they need to do because they're scared of regulations, they're scared of the other shoe dropping, they're just plain scared,so credit is not flowing the way it needs to to restart economic growth.

So people are, you know, a little —they're still uncertain, and they're uncertain both because they don't know what might come next in terms of regulations, but they're also uncertain because of changes in a global economy that we're only beginning to take hold of.

So first and foremost, more transparency,more openness, you know, trying to figure out, we're all in this together, how we keep this incredible economic engine in this country going. And this is, you know, the nerves, the spinal column.

And with political people, again, I would say the same thing, you know, there was a lot of complaining about Dodd-Frank, but there was also a need to do something because for political reasons, if you were an elected member of Congress and people in your constituency were losing jobs and shutting businesses and everybody in the press is saying it's all the fault of Wall Street, you can't sit idly by and do nothing, but what you do is really important.

HIlary Clinton at Goldman Sachs, October 2013

OftenBen  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's a whole lot of words to say 'The little people are starting to become aware of how badly you and I are fucking them.'

No it's not. You said you "would love to see" a speech about the necessary overhauls the banking and investment industry needs. Clinton gave that speech. It was leaked by Russia.

You were explicitly given what you asked for. Your response? "I still want to be mad."

OftenBen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Taken from the passage you cited

Translation - We really didn't want to change a single thing about the way you guys do business, because it's good for every senator and congressman and the entire political ecosystem if you guys are stinking rich. The press says that it's your fault that everyone is broke (But we both know that's not true, wink wink nudge nudge) so we had to do SOMETHING or else the little people might have actually gotten upset enough to do something crazy like vote out their sitting senators and congressmen.

Why was the contents of this speech a secret? Why was it politically potent for it to be leaked? Obama just spoke to bankers and to 'mature' people, that's not anything politically potent. Why does it matter?

I asked for someone to actually tell the financier class 'Hey, guess what, we're bringing Glass-Steagall back because you guys literally couldn't stop stealing and making openly consumer-hostile decisions if your lives depended on it. Thanks for the check.'

Take out all the insinuations and the fact that you're moving the goalposts now so you can stay outraged, and your comment becomes whitespace.

_refugee_  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

In which we...

Use the royal we, for no real reason.

... marbelize things.

... make stamps.

... cut, fold, and glue flowers.

In non-art we...

...do 3x8 diamond pushups 3 or more days a week, mostly

....have logged every day in MFP for 153 days

...and have lost 15 pounds in the past 4 months.

Not to mention,

...have a now-established boyfriend (going on three months - first date story )

What else is there to mention?

_refugee_  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Seriously, the guy has a point

pepsiiiiiiii

_refugee_  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: You're too busy.

I'm a hardcore list gal, myself.

Sorry, this comment is private.
_refugee_  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: MeetUpSki Location Location Location

ay bro when you are in NYC lmk

_refugee_  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what have you been watching lately?

The O. J. Simpson murder trial had always interested me, so when the new miniseries, "The American People V. O.J. Simpson" popped up on Netflix, it was a must-watch. I'm about 2/3 of the way through. It's been really interesting watching the stumbles and failures of the prosecution, combined with the smarmy evil combined intelligence of the defense, as the case progresses. Warning: we know how this ends; it's a tragedy.

Has anyone here seen Black Mirror? I started an episode but it seemed pretty downer.

I also re-watched The Shining (on Netflix) and now re-reading the novel to compare differences first-hand.

veen  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·

That OJ one has been on my watchlist, but I wonder if it's interesting for non-Americans. I only know OJ because people keep referring to his trial.

That's pretty much the premise. Some episodes are good at being confrontational, others less so. Between them they're unrelated so you can watch them in pretty much any order.

rezzeJ  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's definitely worth it as a non-American. The only thing I knew about OJ Simpson before I went in was that he was famous and involved in this big murder case. I didn't even know he was specifically an American Football player. Great acting all-round and it stays exciting throughout even though you know how it ends.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.