a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
_Shipwreck's comments
_Shipwreck  ·  1720 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your wallpaper?

So how do you manage to use them as wallpapers? Can you do it on a mac?

bfv  ·  1720 days ago  ·  link  ·

In X11, passing the -root commandline argument to any of the screensavers makes it draw on the root window, which is the background window wallpaper usually gets drawn on. I know that there is an xscreensaver port for OsX, but I have no idea whether -root works there. Probably not, since x11.app is rootless, but try it and see.

I have a bunch of paintings that rotate daily. I wish I had more though, but it's not so easy to find good ones.

_Shipwreck  ·  1724 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, how do you find meaning in your life?

Just to take a different approach to the more philosophical responses, make sure everything is well with the more concrete aspects of your life. We are made to care, we are made to be motivated and content; I truly believe that when we are not, it's because something else is preventing your body and your mind from working as they are supposed to work.

Are you working too much and over-stressed? Are you sleeping and eating well? Do you make time to let your mind just wander? From personal experience, I cannot stress enough how important these things are, especially having enough sleep.

If all of these are in order, you'll get an idea for a project, or you'll meet someone, or you'll just enjoy one particular moment, and it will have meaning to you. You'll be motivated and encouraged, it will matter. I don't spend much time searching for meaning anymore, I try to work to remove the things that are blocking it.

_Shipwreck  ·  1728 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hover technology worth the investment?

I don't think Volkswagen is really investing on a hover car, that looks like it was just a funny video. In any case, until we have antigravity, no. We do have helicopters and levitating trains, though.

junkysam  ·  1728 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, I realize the volkswagen was more PR stunt but I figured I'd include it because a woman I work worth thought it was real. From what I understand is that the Hendo hoverboard and Toyota's plans rely on the technology mag-lev trains use but I personally don't see that working well with the way our road systems are currently set up. Thanks for the reply!

_Shipwreck  ·  1729 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Me [31 M] with my girlfriend [29 F] of 3 years, am I wasting her life?

Shouldn't it be: "I cannot live without her!"?

That sounds a bit over-dramatic to me. But also, don't ever get married if you don't want to! Not because "it is time", or because you've been in a relationship for too long, or because of fear that she'll break up if you don't. Are you living together? In any case, you don't have to break up either. That's her decision to make if she feels its not worth it.

I lived together with my ex for a while before getting married, had a great relationship, and it still didn't work out. Depending on your views about marriage you might think that getting divorced vs. braking up is the same, I did. But it is not. It's not the same for everyone around you, family and friends, and its not the same to you because inevitably the relationship becomes part of where you see yourself going for the rest of your life, and changing that has profound emotional consequences.

Idonknowwhattodo  ·  1729 days ago  ·  link  ·

You are right, I don't understand the difference between breaking up and geting a divorce. I don't understand what it means to be married and seeing myself as part of a relationship.

GingerBeardMan  ·  1729 days ago  ·  link  ·

The difference between a breakup and a divorce is a lot of paperwork and money.

InfernalFangirl  ·  1729 days ago  ·  link  ·

Like GingerBeardMan said, getting a divorce is a major headache, even if it's uncontested - not only in the amount of money and paperwork but the sheer amount of stress involved. Breakups are awful but there's something about the whole concept of legal separation that adds another layer of anxiety. Not sure where you live but for me in a situation where we had no children together and no joint property it still cost $2,000 just for paperwork. I had tried one of those "do it yourself divorce" kits that you can get for 20 bucks online or so and it wasn't state specific enough and I finally had to say "screw it" and talk to a lawyer. Then my ex refused to sign the paperwork because he was in one of those "please one more chance please let's get back together" things so I had to deal with that stress. I couldn't just block his number because I had to keep heckling him to do the damn paperwork. I finally told him, "Look, if you want to do this contested we can because I've got more than enough proof to claim adultery on your part." We really couldn't have done it contested because it would've been another $3,000 and I didn't have that much money because he'd also destroyed my credit and left me with $24,000 in debt but thankfully he didn't call my bluff on that and signed. If for some reason you do cave in and get married then for the love of god keep your finances as separate as possible and don't make any major purchases together that'll tie you up financially (houses, cars, co-signing loans, etc.). Then there's also the headache of untangling things you wouldn't think of like frequent flier miles and Costco accounts and who's carrying who on their insurance and cell plans and stuff.

Honestly OP, it's not worth the headache if you're not sure. And from the tone of your post it sounds like you've already made up your mind. Having a future with someone isn't the fiery and passionate "I can't live without them!" thing necessarily but it also isn't "meh" which is the feeling I'm getting from you. It sounds more like the relationship is comfortable and familiar and that's as good a reason as any to keep running with it which won't make for a healthy partnership.

_Shipwreck  ·  1729 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How many submissions is too many submissions?

No, the whole idea of sites like these is to parse content through the community so that people get to see what they're most interested in. If it can't manage you posting a lot, then the system it's not working well, and we should fix it. So please, post all you want and let us see how hubski deals with it.

_Shipwreck  ·  1729 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How can I begin the self study of Philosophy?

Philosophy is an incredibly technical subject. If you grab a book from Heidegger, for example, you won't understand anything; or worse, you'll think you understand and it will seem "deep", but really you won't understand anything.

The main thing to figure out is if you want to do this technical study, or you're more interested in -as you said- expanding your ideas. To read direct, I agree that Nietzsche and Sartre are good options (not so sure about Descartes). Greek classics like Plato or Aristotle are also good reads. I would also add books not written by philosophers, such as Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, pretty much a personal diary collecting thoughts, highly influenced by stoic philosophy.

But for Heidegger, for Hegel, for Kant, for Husserl, get a contemporary book about their philosophy. Or at least a version of their works including good commentary by a contemporary author.

Also, there is a bunch of modern philosophers that are less cryptic, usually focused on more specific topics such as philosophy of science or philosophy of language. Daniel Denett is a good example. These are also great books to read direct, but I don't think they will prepare you much to tackle the rest of philosophy.

If you want to learn about philosophy as an academic discipline, and you haven't read many introductory books before, definitely start there. It will give you an overview from which you can then choose more specific topics or authors to follow. I tend to dislike university textbooks for this; those that have the "key" concepts in bold letters with a short explanation on the side, and are currently in the 16th edition...

Think: A Compelling Introduction to Philosophy by Simon Blackburn looks good, but I haven't read it. It doesn't follow the history of philosophy, but rather focuses on the ideas, which I think its a very good way to do it and looks like what you wanted. Hope it helps!

_Shipwreck  ·  1729 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 9 Reddit Alternatives Trying So Hard

I find Aether's use of peer-to-peer network very interesting, not so much for the anonymity but rather for the non-reliance on servers; which I guess are the most expensive part of running a site like this. Like Tor, it looks like the anonymity thing will lead to a focus on unsavoury stuff.

Maybe one day, when peer-to-peer works better and faster, sites like this will not have to pay for servers anymore. That would be cool.

_Shipwreck  ·  1729 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New York Stock Exchange Suspends Trading

It might be fear of something I don't understand; but I'm just not a fan of having our world economy depend on an automated system of high-frequency transactions. It's great that they managed to shut this down on time, but a more difficult to identify "bug" could have horrible consequences.

And yet, incredibly, all of these seem to be unrelated.

crafty  ·  1729 days ago  ·  link  ·

That certainly seems to be the official line, although it doesn't seem impossible that it could be an attack either; plenty of high profile attacks have occurred recently. China is under pressure, and events in Greece weakening American and European markets would make this an opportune time to strike. It would take more investigative journalism to provide evidence of what really happened, though. I don't trust the NYT to deliver much more than PR releases of the affected corporations and governments. I've seen some people linking this norsecorp.com map when speculating, which seems like something made in part or whole by the USG.

_Shipwreck  ·  1730 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Reddit user finds mom was paying for AOL since 1994...

This should go in #personalfinance as well.

In the Star Force series, by B. V. Larson, there is an alien race of Centaurs. (Larson bases his alien races in animals, it's not very creative, but it's so over the top that it ends up being brilliant.)

They are indeed a herd-like society, that values war, bravery and honor above all else, and are collectivistic to the extreme, happily sacrificing individuality for the common good. They also make long-winded and flowery speeches, and are horrible at obeying any order that doesn't involve a direct attack. Any kind of strategy or tactics are considered cowardly and duplicitous.

I cannot imagine any other culture for the centaurs.

_Shipwreck  ·  1730 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are the movies or books that show a story rather than tell it?

How can you do this in a book? I've been trying to think of examples and the best I can come up with are books that are told from the perspective and the style of the protagonist. A recent example is The slow regard of silent things. Rather than trying to explain what's going on in Auri's head -which is probably impossible- it is written like Auri would write it, using the words Auri would use, and not bothering with explanations for the names or the logic behind her worries or decisions. All the while maintaining a traditional third person narrator.

Also, great music.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1726 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
_Shipwreck  ·  1730 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are some of your tips on articulating ideas into words?

Writing, like speech, has a physicality to it. Perhaps the main way this shows is in its serial nature, where ideas are no longer jumbled up in your head but laid out one after the other. This definitely has to do with logical structure; but it also happens in poetry, for example, so its not the same. The cool thing is, you can choose how to order your ideas so that they have the effect you want.

And you can enjoy the process.

In that sense writing feels more like creating something tangible, choosing words and ways to express yourself that will convey what you want. And choosing the right order to express those ideas. Doing an outline can certainly help, but personally I find that preparing a very detailed outline can be counter-productive for this, making my writing too mechanic.

When you're writing, or when you're telling a story, the main thing is to focus on what you're trying to express now and have in the back of your mind a general idea of where you're going with this. Typical examples of bad writing involve people getting ahead of themselves and getting to the conclusions before developing important parts of the argument or story. This can make people repeat themselves over and over again, getting their big points washed out in a disorganised mess.