WanderingEng's comments

You used "meaningful" in your question. Not "rewarding" or "valued" but "meaningful."

What I find most meaningful is the productive interactions with colleagues and coworkers. Nothing successful at work comes in a vacuum. It takes input and action from a wide range of people with a wide range of backgrounds and wide range of lives outside of work. I'll have to remember this next time I interview for a job. It sounds like a great line, and I mean it.

"Productive interactions" isn't just some specific work thing, either. It's the friendly chat around the water cooler. Working well together is more than just everybody doing their work task.

It's almost certain that you've handled a package that meant something really special to someone, the kind of thing they'll never forget.

WanderingEng  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

There's probably a really interesting discussion there about identity. I still sort of struggle to identify as a runner. I'm just someone who runs. I don't have a 26.2 sticker on my car, but I do have a 46er sticker.

There's a run-bike-run duathlon here in a couple weeks. While I have no identity with duathlons, I'm intrigued. It's 2-25.3-2. I have a nice but not pro or tri bike, and I've never done a transition.

For eight years I refused to put on a helmet while riding a bicycle in Los Angeles. Why? I refused to associate myself with those people.

They still bug me no end. I was commuting home one day and three humorless fucks ripped by me... and then slowed down so I passed them. Then there was a downhill so they ripped by me... and then slowed down so I passed them. Then there was another downhill so they ripped by me... and then slowed down.

As I passed them I said

You know, you guys could say hi or some shit like we like each other. I mean, you've been failing to taillight me for ten miles now.

They mumbled "sorry" and fell the fuck back.

Fucking hate LA bikers.

Which did you sign up for? Feeling like signing up just a couple days after is impressive. It took me over a month!

What do you mean by "edge?"

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

The same one for next year. Then a friend and I think will be running a 50k together in Oregon this November. The cutoff times are slightly less aggressive than the 50k I'm running at the end of July, so that's promising. Easier course, too. Running that marathon has, at least in the short term, changed the way I look at certain things. Especially myself. Yesterday I looked in my closet, saw my mountaineering boots and running clothing, and felt something more of an identity than I've felt in a while.

That's a good question, I'll hopefully have a better way of answering that after a couple of more dates with her.

WanderingEng  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

As I passed them I said

They mumbled "sorry" and fell the fuck back.

Fucking hate LA bikers.

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 2018 Seattle Rock 'N' Roll Marathon

Yep, it's a full. It's point-to-point. They bus you north to the start and then you run due south and average downhill to downtown. Weather is usually mild, neither hot or cold, and if there's wind it's usually a cross wind. I picked it as being nearby, a change of scenery, and famously good for PRs.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm hoping for personal improvement this fall. I was happy with my finish but think I can do better.

One more nutrition question! Did your Saturday night meal work well? I sometimes eat sort of light the night before, and I think I maybe need to do more pasta.

Your report has me itching to do another, even knowing I'm signed up for Milwaukee just four months away.

ButterflyEffect  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

It did! I ate too much though, and ate too much throughout the day. Plenty of pasta, threw in some cabbage on the side, and had one pint of beer with some friends around 7:30pm.

Milwaukee is a full, right? What's it even like there in October? Decent running weather?

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 2018 Seattle Rock 'N' Roll Marathon

Big congratulations! What did you take for food? In mine, I had Gus and Shot Bloks. Shot Bloks didn't work well, and man cannot live on Gus alone.

I was watching via the web, and it live updated great. I'm happy that your slower split late in the run was a porta potty. That's about the point where a lot of runners, including me, start to struggle. You had a great push all the way to the end.

1500' is unreal. I think mine was half that. Fantastic performance on a challenging course.

ButterflyEffect  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

GUs do horrible, no good things to my stomach. A theme is that I have a sensitive stomach. Nutrition today involved the pre race banana and coffee, and during the race: Balance Bars, Honey Stinger Waffles, and Limeade Stinger Energy Chews. Plenty of water and Gatorade as well.

Thanks for the congrats, badge, and watching in real time. I definitely felt aware of that a couple of times during this race. This course was honestly harder than I thought it would be, there was no end to the hills in the second half.

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Death in the Alpine

I haven't! It's worth seeing?

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

100% yes. Amazing film, you'll love it.

WanderingEng  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why No One Answers Their Phone Anymore: Telephone culture is disappearing.

I don't see text messages the same way because I can see the content before replying. With a call, I don't know if its value exceeds my time until I answer, and then decorum doesn't let me hang up.

steve  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I used to see texts in this way... I don't now.

back in the 90s (maybe earlier), Covey taught in one of his books about this matrix... if I remember right, Covey-ites wouldn't answer the phone because it fell into Q4 because it was not urgent (to the receiver) and of unknown importance.

Now, I just ignore my phone a lot.

katakowsj  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I thank you for your Quadrant 4 contribution. :)

katakowsj  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Seriously though, the Covey chart is so simple and effective, I only wish that others around me would abide by it better.

I can remember hanging out with a friend, as we were just starting our careers, that felt compelled to answer his phone no matter what was going on. We’d be driving somewhere, he’d have his phone on vibrate, we’re in the middle of a conversation and he’d pick up his phone and start talking. Didn’t even give me a, “Hey man, I’ve gotta call coming in and I’ve gotta take it...”

Man, that ticked me off.

I done see this phone etiquette stuff as the root issue. More of a basic consideration of other people thing. Something that I find myself continually reinforcing to my kids. I can see that I’ll use the chart with them at some point as the learn to prioritize their connections with other people.

Thanks for sharing.

I feel like the idea of a phone call being rude might come from all the spam calls. They've set the stage for phone calls being a thing to ignore. For me, if someone calls me it better either be important or prearranged. To call out of the blue assumes that their desire for immediate gratification is more important than my time, sort of like the spam calls.

I'm happy to see phone culture die.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

You don't have friends call you out of the blue?

psychoticmilkman  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you never answer your phone, people stop calling real quick. All my friends and family learned a long time ago that I don't answer my phone and only respond to texts. If the phone rings it's urgent, for work, or someone who doesn't know me very well.

steve  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is so interesting to me. For a time, I used to think Text Messaging was rude for the same reason.

Times have changed, times are changing... people don't even bother with voicemail anymore.

WanderingEng  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

steve  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I used to see texts in this way... I don't now.

Now, I just ignore my phone a lot.

katakowsj  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I thank you for your Quadrant 4 contribution. :)

katakowsj  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Man, that ticked me off.

Thanks for sharing.

tacocat  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

If someone I know calls I automatically think it's important enough to interrupt whatever I'm doing.

steve  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I honestly just think it's the normal evolution of etiquette and societal norms. My grandmother? She answered every call always... that trickled to my mother and me... now? Tech has completely changed in my lifetime, and yah - I screen the crap out of whoever is calling. My kids and their friends don't actually use their phones to speak - they only answer my calls because I'm old fashioned and I ask them to do so.

tacocat  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

After some thought, I will make sure someone wants to talk with a text first but it depends on context. If it's a girl I've been chatting with through text and we haven't met, I definitely will prearrange to speak on the phone. If I wanted to talk to a friend of mine right now I wouldn't hesitate to just call.

Texting is nice for certain things but it can be incredibly bad when you need to convey information that might require some actual real time interaction for one reason or another. My mom is like sixty and if I need to tell her something and have to rely on texts it's painful if I can't have her immediately respond to ask questions or whatever other benefits there are to speech.

Texts can be misinterpreted too if the reader projects a tone onto the words that wasn't intended. I can be really terse and it's efficient for typing on a tiny keyboard with my thumbs but people sometimes think I'm being a pithy asshole.

Both have their place. I prefer texting friends as a general rule but I wouldn't say it's rude to make your phone ring. I'm a big boy. You can hit the fuck you button if you want

Did you see Anthony Bourdain killed himself yesterday?

francopoli  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've watched people have the conversation of "Wow he was rich and had women fawning over him, and he killed himself? What hope is there for me?"

So now I gotta watch the people I care about . Looks like a great weekend to fuck off the internet.

coffeesp00ns  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

fuck, him and Kate Spade in one week.

He was a great example for a lot of people I know who worked in kitchens, trying to get clean. My heart goes out to his kids, especially. He never struck me as a perfect person, but he definitely struck me as a person who tried to be better.

WanderingEng  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tuning the sine wave to save energy

I took away that while they could correct at the transmission or distribution level, the losses and increased efficiency still occur at the load level. There could be science here that's beyond me, so I might be missing where the efficiency gain in the transmission and distribution is. There just aren't many active components to see many losses from bad power quality. Most power quality issues, and from what I can tell that includes the ones the article discusses, don't travel far on the wires. The transmission and distribution has a lot of series inductance and shunt capacitance. The distortion is higher frequencies, and inductive impedance goes up with frequency while the shunt capacitance goes down as frequency increases. This acts to both block and bleed off the distortion.

They probably have a point on the load, though, and I don't mean to be completely skeptical.

WanderingEng  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Death in the Alpine

I'm also a proponent of packing for what's possible. I've carried extra winter layers up and back down every time and, I think, never worn them. I've done the same with rain gear, tops and bottoms, since they also make good wind blocks.

The idea I follow is that the mountains will still be there tomorrow, next month, next year. Better to be safe and come back another time.

The more I read about the Whites, I'm a little surprised how different they sound from the Adirondacks. It's like that additional 800' of elevation of the highest handful of peaks makes all the difference with long exposed ridges. In the Adirondacks you might get a mile of being exposed, but it dips back down into the trees pretty quickly. And a mile catches plenty of people off guard. I can think of two pretty serious but thankfully successful rescues because people got stuck above the treeline just in that short distance.

If you don't mind waiting a week or two for me to finish it (I don't read regularly enough to just plow through it), I'll mail it to you along with this one about the Adirondacks..

After reading the article you linked here, "shortcut" sounds chilling. The bit about "if it was safe and shorter, it would be the main route" says a lot.

I'm always afraid to take pictures of difficult parts. I'm a bit superstitious. Outbound, it feels like I'm going to be found dead at the bottom and the article written about me will say "his last act was to photograph the section that killed him, probably to share on social media." And on the return, it's behind me and quickly out of my mind.

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I can definitely wait, and would be happy to take you up on that offer! Unrelated, but have you seen Meru?

WanderingEng  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I haven't! It's worth seeing?

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

100% yes. Amazing film, you'll love it.