We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
ThatFanficGuy's comments
ThatFanficGuy  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are your weekend plans?

Will do.

If you come to the Russian Hubski meetup, I'll find a place where you can eat some without the Indian curry syndrome.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are your weekend plans?

Going back home to celebrate my godmother's 60th birthday. Shashlik is a traditional Russian dish when it comes to dachas, as far as I'm concerned. Hope it's gonna be cold so I won't have to see the pests.

Also, P.E. test tomorrow. 100m run, stretching/bending, pull-ups and something else I forget. I'm going to suck at one half of those and be decent at the other. Next year's gonna be a lot different.

goobster  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Eat some shashlik for me. I miss it!

ThatFanficGuy  ·  2 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Will do.

Even though I'm tired and burned-out, I'll be the rd95 this time (partly because I need a break every ten minutes now):

People subscribe to a certain worldview without actively subscribing: that we, somehow, ought to have 100%, or whatever we have is worth little, if anything at all. It's something we grow up with, much like the childish narcissism that we grow to adore in our young.

To say that we were "blinded by conditioning" is to assume we were sighted in the first place. That we were blessed with this perfect vision and somehow, it all went away with time and the obstacles that made us weary.

Truth is, we all start with zero. We have nothing and are born into everything. Is there any wonder we couldn't comprehend everything, given how incredibly complex and delicate in detail our world is? As we grow, we don't lose simplicity - merely the perception of simplicity. The world used to be a lot simpler - and a lot grimmer - when I was younger.

Is it to say that bullshit is not abundant? No. There's plenty of it wherever you go. It's for this reason that we need something straight to hold onto, something true to our deepest beliefs. It's the reason we believe what we believe: because it holds us onto who we are and who we want to be. We believe what we believe to not lose touch with the world we know.

I grew up in the bullshit. The continuous mental sewer was my world for a long time. My world was chaotic, to say the least: whims of a person who relies on no values but others' appreciation; we all know how feeble that is. Why do I believe in what I believe, then? Because it gives me ground I need so damn much. After years of swirling in the tornado, it's nice to stand on something hard and stable for once.

I've just been reading something for our Psychology class. It said: we don't change but develop; not simply fumble around aimlessly with our identities and core values, but build upon the ones we've had prior. We acquire experiences that shape our worldview. I think it's a very profound thought. We remain true to ourselves yet gain new parts every moment of our being.

I wanted to say "we're inherently biased", but even that assumes there's some sort of an ideal point of view that we best adhere to - or, rather, that this ideal point of view exists in reality. Each of us is both born into and grows into something of their own. We want to remain what we are because it gives us the security of certainty, and the feeling of security is a powerful motivator in whatever we do. It's why changing some people's views is so damn difficult despite how corrosive those views are even to the observer themselves.

It's a wise thought to remain flexible of mind. I believe it's no less wise to hold onto something in the world as inherently chaotic as ours.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mark Zuckerberg will be our downfall

Maybe. Like I said, I don't care about those guys. Maybe I'm just feeling rebellious.

I wonder when this happens.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mark Zuckerberg will be our downfall

To be frank, I don't give two shits about how his name will be remembered in history. Somehow, Zuckerberg, Jobs and the rest of the technowizards don't sound to me like people worth remembering in the global sense of the verb. Probably has something to do with the fact that their practices and legacy are ambigious at best.

Also, when was the last time you've heard of Sergey Brin?

rd95  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I'm sure they'll be remembered much in the way we remember guys like Ford, Rockefeller, Carnegie, JP Morgan, etc. Big men with big influences that shaped our world for better or worse.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mark Zuckerberg will be our downfall

So he can sell them ads. So his stock doesn't crash.

That doesn't sound like a good long-term goal. I'm talking 20+ years. What is he going to leave to this world when he's gone?

kleinbl00  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Hey - if he provides universal world internet and then drives Facebook into the ground, he can be a double-hero.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  13 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Also, when was the last time you've heard of Sergey Brin?

rd95  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  6 hours ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Rick-Roll is 10 years old.

And Rick Astley is 51! Can this man sing...

ThatFanficGuy  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Rise of the Liberal Conspiracy Theorist

Obama was no saint, but I can't imagine how secure he feels about his legacy in contrast to the new "competition".

I get the feeling that Obama would've lost to Trump in 2012 if Trump would follow the same strategy: put down the "establishment" and the other candidate by making sickly and twisted claims that none of his becoming-brainwashed supporters would (want to) dispute.

am_Unition  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I think another four years of "stirring the pot" was crucial to Trump and co.'s success. The right-wing media managed to really get that accomplished quite well. In fact, that's pretty much all that the GOP has done, unless we're counting "fuck over their constituents so badly that the over-correction may destroy us all".

Edit: Liberals are but the lesser of two evils at this moment in history, and there as many (effective) options. One of our founding fathers warned us against it, I forget who. Not very respectful of me. Nor is not even going to Google right now. And certainly not then loosely guessing Hamilton and going back to coding.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: May 25th, 2017 was a day meant for a book thread.

I just wanna say that it's cool that you and your wife both are here.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

If the dog didn't insist on napping and basking in the sun all day, I'd try to get her to join too. ;)

ThatFanficGuy  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

Week's been good. A couple of thoughts helped me overcome the overbearing anxiety and dread that I've been having over the upcoming exams - something I've talked about in my latest personal post. Now, even though I have little energy, I'm taking on things I want to take on: things as ambitious as building a literary RPG single-handedly and as simple as cooking.

Finally broke up with the girl I've been talking about over past Pubski gatherings. Felt like a move forward. There's nothing to a relationship that doesn't have both people interested consistently. Decided I would take responsibility for whatever relationships I end up with and the way I handle them from now on. Developing my core personality helped me realize how low I've been selling myself so far.

I can feel paradigms changing in my head ever since I've decided against soda. I've talked about it over IRC but am no longer sure it's the whole scope of things. Starting to feel differently about food, exercise, relationships, people, honesty, life decisions, tastes, my own place in the world... Lots of things that become opaque for a moment then lose themselves in the flow of thought. It's a change for the better, and I'm grateful for it.

Starting to realize a few things about myself, as well. I'm mostly a serious person. Most of the fun people around me have seems senseless to me, empty in essence. I figure I'd need to start looking for people in places of common interest rather than try and dig those out - unsuccessfully - in those who don't seem to exhibit them. Great plans for summer include putting energy in meeting people with similar tastes and, hopefully, outlook. Planning to take a look in at least groups for writing and tabletop games. Maybe start a gaming clan: Depressively-Serious Gaming (dunno about you, but it gives me a giggle).

Keeping borders about things and people in life seems to be the lesson I'm learning: you have to say "no" to those that take away time from things that are important to you. For a person who was raised to always agree, it's a difficult yet exciting lesson to learn. Aiming for pass marks by the start of the next uni year.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 24, 2017

If you know me well enough, you know well enough that I know about those things.

This was me making a joke about it.

I'll see myself out.

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

NO SARCASM IS ALLOWED ON HUBSKI

A ridiculous amount of crypto talk.

As in - "I know who killed Kennedy"?

mk  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

No, cryptocurrency talk, as in - "Is GNT necessary for Golem, is it a security, and is it worth buying?"

ThatFanficGuy  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

This was me making a joke about it.

I'll see myself out.

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

NO SARCASM IS ALLOWED ON HUBSKI

Welcome to the babyface club.

keifermiller  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! I always forget how weird this feels the first few days.

Good communicators treat people like humans regardless of the setting.

Could you give some practical examples of that?

Isherwood  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm still thinking through it so forgive me if I'm a little rambly.

I ask people to write a lot of documentation. I talk to these people pretty regularly and for the most part we have really fun casual conversations. When I ask these people to write, they start using "essay english", saying things like "when one finds themselves facing the dilemma of an angry customer..." This stuffy language creates a barrier of formality - it's not only hard to understand but it's boring and not engaging, so it usually goes in one ear and out the other.

The same thing happens when I ask people to teach or present. If I ask that person to explain something to me, we'll sit down and have a conversation. They'll stop and check to make sure I'm still with them, they'll look at my face and see if I'm getting it, they'll make jokes and tell me about quirks. If I ask them to do something formal like "teach" they'll make power points and stand at the front of a room with an invisible wall between them and the learners. Once again, we have distance and boredom.

In both of these situations, people are treated a bit like machines - data is pushed out for them to consume, it's a very soulless form of education. I try to push people to stop teaching the way they were taught, through formal lectures and essays, and start teaching the way they learned, through conversations, experiences and laughter.

In this way, all education is a human dialogue where one who knows is trying to make a genuine connection to one who doesn't. The stronger this connection, the better the learning.

That's the idea at least.