a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
StrangeGibbersh's comments
StrangeGibbersh  ·  2652 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy

The #Writing tag is a little more active.

StrangeGibbersh  ·  2652 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 50 most anticipated albums of 2013.

Very much looking forward to Atoms For Peace. Also, a new The Knife record? Sign me up!

StrangeGibbersh  ·  2652 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Paul Krugman: Is Growth Over?

A world where it becomes so easy to make certain everyone is fed, clothed, and sheltered that it is no longer required of people to work to take care of their basic nessecities.

Think Star Trek's federation.

WestCoastG  ·  2652 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh, okay, so if I understand correctly, it's a world in which the basic nessecities for survial are available to and provided for everyone while all other goods and services above that would be subject to scarcity. Isn't that just welfare, but on a much larger scale? Hm, maybe the issue is that --like I just did-- it's called "welafre" rather than a "post-scarcity world in which everything is provided and everyone is better off". Still, I don't think that that's where we're headed. Where would the money come from to pay for all this free stuff?

Wingus  ·  2651 days ago  ·  link  ·

There's a Sci-Fi book called Accelerando, by Charles Stross; he released it under the Creative Commons license, so it's available to freely download as an ebook. It's a pretty interesting futurist perspective, and the first couple chapters deal almost exclusively with a new global economy in a post-scarcity world.

Post-scarcity is more than just 'welfare on a larger scale'. It's an upending of "Supply and Demand". Money works because of supply and demand; post-scarcity imagines a future with sufficiently efficient automation, resources and energy supplies to make money irrelevant.

For now, though, this idea is relegated to Sci-Fi books. I don't foresee it becoming a reality anytime soon.

WestCoastG  ·  2651 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks, I'll check the book out. My first thought after submitting my last reply was that money is both the reason why we have the goods and services that we currently do and why a post-scarcity world cannot exist. In such a world, what incentive do people have to produce or give up their ability to profit from it in the first place?

Wingus  ·  2648 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm not defending a post-scarcity future (I think it's highly unlikely), however, people are not necessarily motivated purely by monetary incentives. Check out this video on the topic:

StrangeGibbersh  ·  2653 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything You Know About Fitness is a Lie

I'm very intrested, and may buy the reccomended "starting strength" book.

StrangeGibbersh  ·  2653 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: How do you define wealth? What is "rich" to you?

When I stop spending my time to make money, and can afford to spend money to save time.

Came over just now, myself. Don't intend on posting anything any time soon, but i am more likley to do so when I grok the organization around here, I'm sure.

insomniasexx  ·  2651 days ago  ·  link  ·

Heinlein reference in first comment. You will do well here!

StrangeGibbersh  ·  2653 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Paul Krugman: Is Growth Over?

I'm surprised to see that Krugman doesn't go into a lot of depth here - MK posted the closed thing to real meat the article had.

Which is a shame, beacuse I'd love to have an economist's take on a transition from capitalism to a post-scarcity world. (If, in fact, a post-scarcity world is where we are headed.)

WestCoastG  ·  2652 days ago  ·  link  ·

When you say "post-scarcity world", what exactly do you mean?

StrangeGibbersh  ·  2652 days ago  ·  link  ·

Think Star Trek's federation.

WestCoastG  ·  2652 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wingus  ·  2651 days ago  ·  link  ·

WestCoastG  ·  2651 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wingus  ·  2648 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  2653 days ago  ·  link  ·

Here is Robert Gordon's essay, but I can't get his article.

I too would love to see Krugman get bold about what coming changes might bring. Maybe we will see more of it from him. I do think that structural changes are looming, and becoming harder to ignore. There are probably some economists writing Nobel Prize-winning work at the moment, but we won't recognize it for some time to come.

In short, I think it's anybody's guess, and it is going to make for some interesting debates.

StrangeGibbersh  ·  2653 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What is hubski's policy on offensive content and free speech?

You bring up a point - I can easily see people abusing the tagging system to just slap commonly followed tags on their stuff. #funny #humor #atheism #kittens #followthis #OHGODWHYWONTYOULOVEME

Spitfire75  ·  2653 days ago  ·  link  ·

The author is only allowed to add one tag, the followers add the rest. See here. I'm not sure I agree with it, I think the author should be able to add at least 2 or 3 tags per post.

jesse9212  ·  2652 days ago  ·  link  ·

It would be somewhat simple to systematically filter this type of abuse out without any human intervention. Otherwise the site would quickly fail.

StrangeGibbersh  ·  2653 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How do you use other social media?

I deleted my facebook. The utility of it was negligable, and my constant issues with the privacy and oversharing finaly made me throw up my hands.

I still have a twitter account, but I rarely use it. I find the reverse-cronological order of short comments makes it irritatingly difficult to peice together coherent thoughts of it's posters. I also don't like sharing with the draconian character limit.

Reddit: A combination of utlity and time-wasting. I have my own private subreddit for passing notes to myself, and I kill a lot of time on the site in general - though I've long since stopped following any of the default subreddits but askreddit, since it's the best time-killer amongst the defaults. Seeing an image macro in any subreddit I follow makes me automatically itch to unsubscribe it. I do use it to keep an eye out for useful utility sites for my writing. I hope to use Hubski for the same purposes - though less of the generic time-wasting, and more utility.

You Tube: Only very rarely.

Any I'm missing? Frankly, the truth is I don't like sharing myself on the internet very much.

It's my favorite christmas special that the've done yet. Damned with faint praise, though - I haven't really enjoyed any of their christmas specials very much.

It was a solid episode, that avoided the tendancy to feel "excessivly fairytale" that the last two christmas specials have had. My primary complaint was that I didn't buy the doctor's motivation for... what we will call the first half of the episode. (to avoid spoiling anything.) Not that I feel that such motivation is impossible, but it was seriosuly undersold.

StrangeGibbersh  ·  2653 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is YTMND dying?

I'll comment that YTMND is much slower today then i remember it being. It's ads really slow down the experince, and I can't imagine that it makes it easy to be a regularly repeating visitor. Even with Adblock, the website just seems to load even easy content incredibly slowly. Frankly, It usually feels that I could start watching someting on youtube in the time it takes a YTMND to load and launch.

harryjames  ·  2653 days ago  ·  link  ·

I suppose that is what happens when a site which holds a large amount of content loses its fan base. Its a shame really, YTMND supported a lot of more artisitic creators as well as jokes and memes.

StrangeGibbersh  ·  2653 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What is the greatest song that ive probably never heard?

Hell Broke Luce by Tom Waits

Got me started on Tom Wait's massive discography.