a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
StaticVoid's comments
StaticVoid  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Fall of Wuhan

Thanks, kleinbl00! You're the man as always... admittedly I was telling my father what you had posted in the earlier post 6 days ago, and wanted to provide sources if he asked.

If you had to wager a "guesstimate" of the total # dead at the end of this from COVID-19, where would you land?

I would start by pointing out that last year the flu caused a million hospitalizations and 61,000 deaths. I think any figures we get are going to be simultaneously overrepresented (the New York Times doesn't make your phone buzz every time someone dies of the flu) and undercounted (if the asymptomatic rate for COVID-19 is really 50% or higher, than it's going to be a lot more prevalent than we're expecting).

Presume, though, that COVID-19 has a morbidity rate of "the flu" or 0.02%. Presume 70% of the world is going to get it. That's still a million dead.

StaticVoid  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Fall of Wuhan

Where did you source these facts about COVID-19 from? (Being twice as infectious as the flu, about a hundred times as deadly)

If you look up "COVID-19 R0" you'll get a number between 2 and 2.8 (although LANL calculated 4.7-6.6 based on cell-phone data). If you look up "influenza R0" you'll get a number between 1 and 1.3.

If you look up "influenza mortality rate" you'll get about 20 per 100k or about 0.02%. If you look up "COVID-19 mortality rate" you'll get around 2%.

That was a week ago, though - my read of the tea leaves is that COVID-19 is more transmissive than 2.2 but substantially less lethal than 2%. However, I'm a guy on the internet with a theory, not an epidemiologist. Nonetheless, we're still probably looking at a particularly nasty flu season.

StaticVoid  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

StaticVoid  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Gospel of The Eel

I admit your post almost moved me to tears while sitting here at work... what a wonderful, beautiful musing. As a fellow non-believer/somewhat-militant atheist, I agree with the sentiment one hundred percent.

StaticVoid  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: MIT Technology Review: Marx was right

StaticVoid  ·  157 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 352st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

"Cars Can't Escape" - Wilco, Alpha Mike Foxtrot: Rare Tracks 1994 - 2014 -

"Summertime Love" - Ween w/ Ben Vaughn (unreleased track from the recording sessions of 12 Golden Country Greats) -

"Uneventful Days" - Beck, Hyperspace -

StaticVoid  ·  185 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What do you make?

Quite the eclectic person! In your opinion, if you had to start from scratch learning how to program what would be an ideal language & method? I've heard varying opinions, though notably it seems many recommend: "The Little Schemer" by Matthias Felleisen, "Think Like a Computer Scientist" by Allen B. Downey, and "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" by Al Sweigart.

About 4 years ago, I was consumed by the idea of making a new classified ads website in the same vein as Craigslist + more features. I got decently far (visible at real-list.herokuapp.com) BUT essentially only implemented what was thoroughly walked through in Michael Hartl's "Ruby on Rails Tutorial". My attempts to understand the Ruby language itself and fundamentals of programming (correctly writing loops, functions, conditionals, etc) were abysmal, so the intended features I could not locate Ruby Gems for were next to impossible to code by hand.

nil  ·  185 days ago  ·  link  ·

When it comes to teaching beginners how to code I usually tell them to start with Python and get cracking, but only because Python is a high enough level language that it's easy to get into. Most people will say that.

But really 99% of coding is understanding how to get what you want in any language. The skills transfer pretty easily. The concepts are mostly the same. The real challenge is in developing the intuition to say "hey, I want to accomplish x" and know exactly how to engineer a piece of software to do that.

That goes beyond just telling the computer to do x, y, and z in a linear fashion. Sometimes you need to know if object-oriented programming and creating several instances of an inherited class is the solution.

Creating a platform game? You bet Player inherits Entity and player.x and player.y are moved by a function that takes in user input and determines if they are colliding with any other sprites while simultaneously applying gravitational force, keeping them from moving through objects, and scrolling the screen to the right.

So there are a lot of things to wrap one's head around, but once you do you usually go oh, I see how that saves time and makes everyone's life easier! Loops and functions are there so you don't have to say the same thing 800 times.

I never read any books. I started in C++ back in the day from this tutorial. I think I was in the fourth grade at the time. I got as far as virtualization and polymorphism before my little kid brain couldn't keep up anymore. But there were other... applications. I then did the game programming tutorials using the SDL library from Lazyfoo. And so that was a quick segue into #include <windows.h> and dialog-box spam on the school computer. After which I later learned all the web markup languages and PHP, Python, Java, whatever. Never done Ruby though.

An analogy is music. You can learn to play music, but the real thrill comes from creating music. It takes a lot of uncomfortable hours of experimentation to get to that point. Coding is the same. You have to want to create things for yourself that were completely your own idea, and figure it out on the fly. A lot of googling helps.

StaticVoid  ·  187 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 349th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

IMO Ween's b-sides are arguably just as good, if not better, than their studio album selections!

Caesar (the initial demos for Quebec) is incredible if you haven't listened before.

Thanks, nil! :-)

Apologies for not sharing YouTube links; apparently my Hubski account is too new to post URLs.

"Did You See Me?" - Ween, Shinola Vol. 1

"Lampshade" - Beck, A Western Harvest Field By Moonlight

"Dash 7" - Wilco, A.M.

"Congratulations" - MGMT, Congratulations

nil  ·  187 days ago  ·  link  ·

Excellent selections. I'd like to announce the promotion of StaticVoid. They should be a shoe-in candidate and have no problem adjusting to the responsibilities of this new role. Keep up the hard work team.

StaticVoid  ·  187 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks, nil! :-)

mk  ·  187 days ago  ·  link  ·

Shinola is amazing. nil fast-tracked you. Welcome!

StaticVoid  ·  187 days ago  ·  link  ·

StaticVoid  ·  191 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What happened to Hubski?

I've been a lurker now for a few months, and have to say I'm absolutely stunned at the consistency of intelligent, thoughtful discussion that occurs here at Hubski. My discovery of this place is owed to following the breadcrumb trail of kleinbl00's Reddit postings.

mk  ·  191 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey. Welcome.

thenewgreen  ·  191 days ago  ·  link  ·

Welcome! And thank you, kleinbl00 for laying the crumbs. Come out of the shadows and join the conversations, StaticVoid. It’s a friendly place.

Onward!

nil  ·  190 days ago  ·  link  ·

What can I say, the man has clout. Welcome.