a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
ProtrudedDemand's comments
ProtrudedDemand  ·  1949 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Marketing of the Pledge of Allegiance

Good answer. I'm just wondering because I think asking things like that is a good way to get to know people on sites like this.

ProtrudedDemand  ·  1956 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Marketing of the Pledge of Allegiance

Hey there Mindwolf. I have an honest question.

I like this article. It agrees with me.

What made you share it?

Mindwolf  ·  1956 days ago  ·  link  ·

I found it interesting. I happen to agree with it as well but the reason I shared it was because I found it interesting. That's my main reason for posting. I may not t agree with everything in an article but it was an interesting viewpoint or provided information that I can use.

ProtrudedDemand  ·  1949 days ago  ·  link  ·

ProtrudedDemand  ·  1999 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski has been taken over by aliens

1. I look like an alien

2. I feel like an alien

3. I am probably not an alien

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2016 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: HUBSKI ANIME CLUB: because let's do this thing

I thought for sure you were going to be talking about Space Dandy. Although some wouldn't consider that "anime"

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2018 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The preventable, inevitable death

I remember an episode of Scrubs where Dr. Cox was worried about his daughter getting sick. He does the whole overprotective parent thing and takes it way overboard. In the end JD gives him a speech about how he is going to worry more than other parents. He says that he will worry more because he's seen the worst. He knows of every potential horror story. I wish I could find a video of it but Google seems to be failing me.

I think my problem has been the opposite of yours. I remember being about the same age (8-9) when my mortality first struck me. The difference was that I was very ready to die. I was in church and we were talking about heaven. I found myself really wanting to die.

That feeling never left me, I always felt like I was ready to die. When I stopped believing in heaven so much (that's a whole different story) My feeling of wanting to die didn't go away. I've fought with suicidal thoughts throughout much of my life. Every time I got sick or something I would secretly hope that this would be the illness that would do me in.

Fighting that battle has made me pretty numb to death in general. I don't still want to die like I used to but I am ready for it. It's not something that scares me. I know that I am going to stop existing one day. It doesn't really bring up any emotions, at least not any I'm aware of. It's almost like blind acceptance.

Meriadoc  ·  2017 days ago  ·  link  ·

The episode that always does me in is in the real last season, where JD and Turk are going to go to steak night, but stay inside with a patient instead that they know is going to die. And they talked to him all night. I couldn't possibly imagine that.

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2021 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How does an (online) community avoid the 'Echo Chamber' effect?

It's kind of like death, or entropy. Things die. You have to keep pumping life into it in order to keep things flowing.

I think adding new influence halts the echo chamber effect. Everything hasn't developed into an echo chamber because humanity has been constantly expanding. We find new ideas, those ideas settle, and then we find new ones again. The echo chamber effect happens when you stop adding new ideas.

From what I've seen, the only way to deal with it is to add outside influence. You have to keep adding new voices, new ideas. The "Echo Chamber" question is basically asking how to prevent growth from halting. When you have a limited number of people discussing a topic long enough they will eventually reach a point where they can agree with each other.

I think that's a problem with civilization in general. It's how people work. I think we'd have to change human nature entirely in order to completely get rid of the echo problem.

veen  ·  2021 days ago  ·  link  ·

No, that's far too simplified, I think. By that logic, either everything would have been an echo chamber ages ago or it is a process so slow that thousands of years of human development didn't progress it fast enough. If it's inherent to civilization and growing ever-faster over long periods of time, either the effect has happened, isn't strong enough, or it isn't inherent to civilization. I think it's the latter.

An echo chamber effect happens when the community has a way of propagating opinions in a distinct direction and there is no significant counterforce. E.g: the opinion Potatoes are delicious is propagated in /r/potato because of people upvoting them, and there is no good counteraction because the people disagreeing with that statement probably aren't in /r/potato. So to answer the question of how to prevent an echo chamber is -I think- simply to do the opposite of what I just described: make sure opinions don't all have a similar direction, (e.g. all good or all bad) and make sure proper discussion is possible through counterarguments.

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2021 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  2021 days ago  ·  link  ·

Do you think it can be moderated in any way? Have some kind of Devils-Advocate-Bot that can't be squelched?

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2021 days ago  ·  link  ·

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2021 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Books that have shaken your perspective

I currently reading Time Out of Hand: Revolution and Reaction in Southeast Asia.. I'm about four chapters in and I like it so far. I'm definitely learning a lot about a culture I didn't know very well. I'm also reading through this because I need a balance of fiction/non-fiction.

Always glad to share knowledge! They have a whole series of similar books, all focusing on different topics. I'd love to have the set one day.

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2022 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Books that have shaken your perspective

Aaaand, now Less Than Zero is near the top of my wish list (right behind Neuromancer). I think that is just the type of reading I need to help me with what I'm going through right now.

havires  ·  2004 days ago  ·  link  ·

Neuromancer was a great book, so was Idoru. I suggest them both.

lil  ·  2022 days ago  ·  link  ·

What are you going through right now?

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2021 days ago  ·  link  ·

Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar . . .: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes

I found this book sitting on a lonely shelf at my local used bookstore. It seemed like something quirky enough to add to my collection. Three years after reading it I have explored almost every branch of philosophy in depth. I often use it as a reference book on what I want to read about next. Before reading this book I thought of philosophy as too big of a subject to take on, something that I would love to learn but didn't know where to start. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to start learning about philosophy.

It was pretty funny also...

thenewgreen  ·  2022 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for mentioning this, I had never heard of it but it sounds like fun. I just ordered it and look forward to reading it. Cheers!

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2021 days ago  ·  link  ·

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2117 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Lurker roll call

I'm still around but I'm mostly a lurker. I just don't have the time I wish I had. I really love Hubski and wish I had the time to become an active member here but you know how that goes. Most of my internet time I do have goes into maintaining stuff on Reddit. I still come here when I feel like sitting down for a good read.

ProtrudedDemand  ·  2228 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What's up Hubski?

I live here so I get the crazy weather all the time. I spent some time out of state and I was a little shocked. What kind of place doesn't get freezing rain one day and 70 degree sun the next? It's insane.