OftenBen's comments
OftenBen  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Judge rules that aspects of plea deal with Jeffrey Epstein violate federal law

In your professional opinion is there any chance that anyone associated with this case will ever actually see the inside of a prison cell?

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 20, 2019

Thanks for the support.

In the span of one day I got two ten-minute, curse filled rants about the drug thing from one of the nation's leading cardiologists. He says that it has become almost impossible to do his job because of the amount of oversight that every single pharmaceutical manufacturer and medical device company requires to make sure they aren't pushing bullshit.

Maximum effort.

OftenBen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 20, 2019

I'm in.

mk  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome!

News from Cleveland Clinic -

First and foremost, no transplant yet. The numbers just aren't there. Whatever is going on is complicated and poorly understood. It's believed that some amount of my chest pain is not directly originating from my heart - the current guess is micro-hypertrophied skeletal muscle in the chest wall.

Second, there is a pharmacological issue. There are several different manufacturers for the drug that I was taking, one that is known to produce quality drug with known filling agents that do not interact with the drug metabolism. I not only didn't have the good manufacturer, I had the literal worst one. This manufacturer buys drugs, equipment and filling agents cheap from India, pakistan, and several other places not known for their quality pharmaceuticals. Because of this problem, it's possible that the medication I was taking is either the incorrect drug, the incorrect dosing of the correct drug, or else contains filling agents that interact with the drug metabolism, or some combination of these issues. The doctor confiscated my bad drugs and sent them out for testing.

I've been switched to a different dosing of a different beta blocker from a manufacturer that doesn't cut corners, and batch-tests every lot of drug that is produced. Took my first dose monday evening and I can already tell it's not the right choice. My fatigue is through the roof and I'm dizzy just sitting in this chair. I have a call scheduled for friday to discuss things thankfully.

Third, he wants me off the gabapentin ASAP because it directly interferes with getting me up and active. I have an appointment with a pain management specialist coming up to hopefully begin a wean off that onto something else. No idea what though.

No answers yet, essentially. This new doc found something that he knows he can fix, the drug issue. After we fix that we re-evaluate and try again.

cgod  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

A friend of mine just had heart transplant surgery. So far it's a big mixed bag of positive and worrisome outcomes.

The surgery paralyzed half his diaphragm making his already laboured breathing harder. He has had a lot of trouble with fluid retention, which mostly seems to be coming from certain drugs used to treat other complications. His kidneys are giving him hell, once more because of drug complications. It seems like half is new heart isn't working very well but there is hope it will kick into gear down the line.

He is able to stand up and take short unaided walks a few times a day. There are no signs of rejection.

I hope you get a heart someday and I hope it goes as smoothly as it can.

francopoli  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I not only didn't have the good manufacturer, I had the literal worst one.

Same thing happened to me. Went three months, then did blood work and found no proof I was taking any meds. Then they grilled me over spending a shit ton of money and no results. I forced them to test what I was being given. My GP? She's not happy. New Pharmacy and a lot of calls to insurance to tell them to stop fucking with my care later and I'm back on track. The US healthcare system is a hate crime against humanity. (end rant)

Cleveland Clinic is amazing. Everyone I know who has been there raves about the place. Sadly I can't get them to send me there yet for my crap, but working on it. Glad you are coming out OK.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the support.

Maximum effort.

thenewgreen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey Ben, Hang in there! You're a badass.

OftenBen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How tobacco brands are returning to F1 by the back door

This is to be expected.

The profit model for tobacco companies is a tried and true one.

Hook kids and teenagers by making smoking look cool, really set the hook by making sure that entry-level products contain addiction-reinforcing levels of nicotine.

The fact that they were stopped for any length of time is great, but corporate entities are by their nature a-moral and profit-focused.

Tobacco makes THE MOST money when kids start smoking and don't stop until dead.

johan  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

In a way they were never really stopped.

After this crash, I read how an anonymous tobacco spokesperson said what he saw was two packs of Marlboro smashing into each other.

The article mentions that Philip Morris has continued to sponsor Ferrari with $100 m/year and from what I've heard they get a veto on which other sponsor decals gets on the car. Maurizio Arrivabene who was their team principal before this season came directly from a VP position at Marlboro.

I wonder what the demographics of F1 fans looks like these days. From what I've heard TV ratings has been sloping downwards for a long time now since moving the live streams to premium channels in many countries, and I wonder if they are gaining any fans in the younger segments. Most of the time it's not an exciting sport to watch, the playing field is hilariously uneven, and everyone involved has been trying to milk as much money out of each other for a long time now.

This is a Christian Nation if you haven't heard.

nowaypablo  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

My Jesus, my rules.”

OftenBen  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fortnite

I have so many questions.

OftenBen  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 300th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I feel similarly about electro-swing and went through a similar disenchantment. I think part of the problem is that the genre never really attracted the instrumentalists and vocalists it needed to really diversify and expand. Caravan Palace and Parov Stelar are so dominant that it essentially made it impossible for anyone else to produce a sound, call it electro-swing and not get beat over the head by die-hards.

OftenBen  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Adult Swim and Production I. G. Making two new seasons of FLCL

Is there a way for me to watch the whole thing legally or is it the high seas for me?

I got it as DVDs from Netflix. Although yeah in checking it appears the DVDRip I downloaded without subs has been trumped by a BDRip with softsubs.

OftenBen  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Alexandria Ocasio Cortez Discovers No Ethics Laws Apply to the President

Got it.

I'm firmly in your camp regarding the hopes for AOC.

And I'm asking for an example of behavior that makes a politician unqualified* for office in our current political environment.

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Typically I'd think of corruption, violence, or a crime of moral turpitude (i.e. involving lying, cheating, or stealing). Of course the devil is in the details, but that's the general ballpark.

Got it.

I'm firmly in your camp regarding the hopes for AOC.

bfv  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Pay stubs from the GRU?

What is 'actually bad?'

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Uh, something that would actually make her unqualified for office?

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it.

I'm firmly in your camp regarding the hopes for AOC.

bfv  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Pay stubs from the GRU?

OftenBen  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Alexandria Ocasio Cortez Discovers No Ethics Laws Apply to the President

Right but her Vice or virtue isn't relevant to the question of whether or not a smear job will be run on her.

She could be the literal second coming with Halos and trumpets and she would still be attacked on Fox and Friends.

johnnyFive  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, but since that's inevitable it's not worth worrying about. What is worth worrying about is whether they'll find something that is actually bad.

What is 'actually bad?'

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Uh, something that would actually make her unqualified for office?

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it.

I'm firmly in your camp regarding the hopes for AOC.

bfv  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Pay stubs from the GRU?

Things that you and I consider virtuous can be used as evidence of moral failing by those who believe differently.

It's true that AOC danced in a video for her college a few years ago. To you and I that's a big ol nothing-berder. To those who believe differently, it might as well be a sex tape as far as scandal potential.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

If she proves to be a two-faced evil sack of shit, we are better off knowing that so a better leader can take her place.

johnnyFive  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's what I was referring to.

OftenBen  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

What is 'actually bad?'

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Uh, something that would actually make her unqualified for office?

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it.

I'm firmly in your camp regarding the hopes for AOC.

bfv  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Pay stubs from the GRU?

Whether or not her nose is clean isn't relevant.

A smear job will be attempted. It will be believed by some percentage of the population.

johnnyFive  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

Whether or not her nose is clean isn't relevant.

Except that it's not slander if it's true.

OftenBen  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's the point I'm trying to make.

johnnyFive  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's what I was referring to.

OftenBen  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

What is 'actually bad?'

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Uh, something that would actually make her unqualified for office?

johnnyFive  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it.

I'm firmly in your camp regarding the hopes for AOC.

bfv  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·