OftenBen's comments
OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: DHS accidentally releases government files on "remote mind control"

Right, but like, is there any reason to think that they stopped trying?

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Other than the utter excoriation and brutal purge of thr Halloween Massacre, which was the dismissal of the majority of the CIA's HUMINT capacity you mean?

Tje guys behind MKULTRA were all fired. The entire approach that it came from was purged. Iran Contra was the clusterfuck it was because the guys that used to do that stuff were either forced into retirement by Carter or captured/killed by Hezbolah.

And MKULTRA was still drugs, not ESP.

Jon Ronson has an entire book on the CIA's experiments in psychokinesis and ESP. It's every bit as laughable as you would expect a Jon Ronson book to be. It also details how it was basically three guys on their own time in secret with zero official cover.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Doing science right: Have there been previous human civilizations on Earth?

I submit to Hubski the site of Gobekli Tepe. Old when the Pyramids were being built, it massively changes the narrative surrounding early civilization and our ability to make mega structures.

wasoxygen  ·  10 hours ago  ·  link  ·

The roughly contemporary architecture at Jericho is devoid of artistic merit or large-scale sculpture, and Çatalhöyük, perhaps the most famous Anatolian Neolithic village, is 2,000 years later.

At present Göbekli Tepe raises more questions for archaeology and prehistory than it answers. It remains unknown how a force large enough to construct, augment, and maintain such a substantial complex was mobilized and compensated or fed in the conditions of pre-sedentary society.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Shooting in self-defense

This got my dander up. I don't have children. Many people do. Self defense in the case of someone with dependents is more than just self defense, it is the defense of one's ability to provide and care for one's children. It is the defense of that person's relationship to their loved ones. I spit on the specious notion that it is somehow morally virtuous to allow oneself to be murdered in a hot rage by a lunatic who attempted murder because of road rage.

The attacker proved that he didn't value his own life and safety when he decided to engage in violence. This woman did the right thing. I mourn the damage done to her psyche and all the potential good that the attacker might have gone on to do if he had just decided to let it go.

Edit*

You're a person of faith. Whatever God exists put this whole situation together and left this woman alone to make her decision. Meditate on that.

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Literally nowhere have I made the statement that self defense is wrong. In fact, in many instances, it's the right thing to do. This statement . . .

The morality behind those concepts can be discussed to the point where we'd fill a book.

Is me admitting to the point that there are moral rights and wrongs to self defense and that they are numerous and worth discussing. However, you have readily illustrated, through this conversation and conversations in the past that you want to assume my arguments, make me defend positions I have not taken, and talk in circles without ever desiring to make any progress. Which means you want to argue instead of converse and not approach any dialog with a sense of good will. So we will not be having that conversation or any other.

OftenBen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 274th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Ah chicka uh chicka uh chicka uh AH AH.

OftenBen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: DHS accidentally releases government files on "remote mind control"

They've got to be trolling

Correct me if I'm wrong, MK Ultra, for all of it's decentralized insanity, was conducted in earnest right? As in, government actors were attempting to find ways to influence and control people? Why do we have any reason to think that they stopped that?

There's a difference between slipping people acid and trying to kill goats with your thoughts.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Right, but like, is there any reason to think that they stopped trying?

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

And MKULTRA was still drugs, not ESP.

OftenBen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Venice, CA will be flooded in less than 20 years.

Buy stock in gondolas?

OftenBen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 18, 2018

Brief health update - Still trying to get back to the office, failed 4/4 days this week so far. Going to try again tomorrow. The part that yields the most frustration isn't actually being bed-bound for the first 1/4 of my conscious day. It's the fact that at least half of the physicians I talk to want to pin the majority of my symptoms on anxiety. I have anxiety. According to my counselor and the psych-D who prescribes my nerve pain med and who would be the managing physician for any psychotropic meds I would take, it is well controlled and NOT the cause of my chest issues. It contributes, it makes things more difficult, but it's not causative. In fact, it seems to be that I'm only anxious when I am experiencing symptoms such that I can't function. Yes, Dr. So-and-so, I am aware that my symptoms are not presenting typically. The walls of my heart are four times thicker than they should be and so filled with scar tissue that several of the imaging/assessment tools we use are basically useless on me. Yes, I am aware that I am not going to be getting a heart transplant any time soon. What this whole mess amounts to at the moment is playing around with medication dosage and timing and hoping it helps.

Music - Tonight is the first rehearsal for the Verdi Requiem with the Ann Arbor Symphony. The show is Saturday night. This music is old hat for many members of the choir but it’s my first time performing the piece in its entirety and I’m looking forward to it quite a bit. I am a bit nervous about doing the whole 90 minutes standing truthfully, but people have sat down for sections of shows before, and we have a longstanding rule in this chorus that it is better to sit down than fall down. I worry more that I will have too much pride to recognize when I need to take a seat I suppose.

I’ve also been playing my guitar a bit more than I have recently. Working on an acoustic cover of Gooey by Glass Animals that is coming together pretty well. I think I still need some more work with a metronome before I record anything again though. My tone is great but my tempi need work. I have this musical theater flair for the dramatic that leads to an inconsistent tempo when I ‘feel’ it a bit too much.

Grubski - The pork buns turned out well. My dad brought me back some mangrove snapper fillets from Florida so I marinated them in fresh orange juice and pepper and baked them (TFW no grill in sight) and they turned out pretty awesome aside from all the little bones.

OftenBen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why do young men worship Professor Jordan Peterson?

I have been called "alt-right" because I did not vote for Clinton in the primary, and I am a Sanders-supporting borderline-socialist lefty.

Same.

Neither Harris nor Peterson are alt-right.

OftenBen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Shooting in self-defense

He felt wronged, so he attacked.

This is where the line is. Feeling wronged is not sufficient cause for violence of any variety. Do I wish that we had sufficient technology that he would be incapable of harming your friend regardless of his intent and action without any grievous harm coming to him? Of course I do, but that's not the situation we find ourselves in.

I agree with you on what 'should' be. There should be some way for a physically disadvantaged person to defend themselves in a life or death struggle with a physically advantaged opponent without killing them, but gives attacked party sufficient power to end the confrontation. We aren't there yet. We don't have a tool or weapon like that yet, and until we do, I don't see an alternative way to make things at all close to 'fair' in life or death confrontations like this one.

Right. But it is a greater tragedy when a person innocent of violence dies of deliberate violence than when an aggressor is killed for misjudging the weakness of their target.

I'm going to say it again because it is the crux of this discussion, not firearms. Self defense is not base or selfish.

rd95  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

The original argument I was making, in response to your initial comment, is that hyperbole and rhetoric is not appropriate when it comes to conversations of self defense. Our conversation, like many conversations, has naturally drifted from that point and now we're in a new area. Because we're looking at this statement.

Self defense is not base or selfish.

For the record, I never took that position or at least I never intended to take that position. I even pointed that out up thread. That said though. Self defense is literally base because it involves our instinctual will to live and avoid harm. Self defense is literally selfish because when we defend ourselves physically, we're valuing our life and safety over the life and safety of our attackers.

The morality behind those concepts can be discussed to the point where we'd fill a book, and I can pretty much guarantee that you and I will have conversations down the road that touch these themes, but for now, let's take a break. My week isn't going my way right now and I genuinely like talking to you and I don't want my sour mood to sour our interactions. I hope you understand and aren't frustrated with me.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Edit*

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Philosophers of Hubski, do you think Justice is a universal constant?

What justice is there when the sun burns out and humans haven't developed the tech to colonize other star systems?

At any time scale other than that of human lives, there is no justice.

Foveaux  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Never thought of it like that - which probably says more about me than anything else. But thanks for putting the words down.

OftenBen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Shooting in self-defense

I'm not angry at all. Just confused why the life of someone who starts a fight is equal to the life of their intended victim.

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

In my opinion, that's not a question we can ask and find an answer that would satisfy us. Life is immeasurably beyond value. Any loss of life, either by random happenstance or by deliberation, is a tragedy.

OftenBen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Self defense is not base or selfish.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Edit*

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

One punch is capable of ending a life. AND

A mature adult can typically discern between a genuine life or death threat or a lower grade threat requiring a lower grade response, such as the bodybuilder and the geriatric. AND

Technology is how we create 'equality' with regards to interpersonal violence. Technology is not yet advanced enough to create a phaser set to stun. Less lethal alternatives to firearms do not give the same kind of power to a small bodied or disabled individual that a real gun in the appropriate caliber does.

Until a device is invented and popularized that accomplishes the same thing as a pistol in the right caliber without killing the attacker, this is the reality we face. No gun, this woman is dead on the pavement and this guys life such as it was is over. This is the worse of the two options because an innocent, non-aggressive person is dead.

If you see some third outcome when a large person with more muscle attacks a smaller person with less muscle who has not offered them violence, please, share it.

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

One punch is capable of ending a life. AND

It is not known whether or not this will happen in any situation until it happens. Because of that, it's just another variable in complicated situations full of countless variables.

The fact that people in the military and law enforcement who are trained and drilled on concepts such as situational awareness and deescalation and they still make mistakes shows that are judgment as human beings is not infallible and that everyday people are more than capable of misreading situations and making mistakes.

This goes back to the whole sliding scale argument. We're back where we started.

I will not, because you're not having this conversation in good faith. Until you are willing to have conversations without resorting to rhetoric and hyperbole, the two of us cannot converse and maintain civility. I'm not blocking you, but for right now, we're not continuing this conversation because neither of us is getting through to the other and all we're doing is making each other angry and there's no value in that.

OftenBen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

rd95  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Self defense is not base or selfish.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Edit*

rd95  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Awesome DEA patches

All the boy scout stuff gives me chills.

zebra2  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

"What kind of imagery should we put on this kid's patch?"

"How about a dead body trace?"

👌