Merlin's comments
Merlin  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club: material selection for no. 36

I'd love to hop in on this Sci-Fi Club! Not sure how often material is picked but this showed up as the latest material selection post under #scificlub

If it needs to be short and free and easily accessible I would put forward The Last Question by Isaac Asimov. It is one of my favorite short stories and a really great conversation starter!

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I'd second Last Question. It's easy.

Merlin  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 5 Lost Video Game Features That Should've Become Standard

This looks fun! Might have to try and pick this up!

Merlin  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 5 Lost Video Game Features That Should've Become Standard

A game of building a criminal empire with a lot of the over-arching strategy and macro-play would be soooo fun

KapteinB  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

One of my favourite games from back in the day was Gangsters: Organized Crime, which was exactly this. :-)

Merlin  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

This looks fun! Might have to try and pick this up!

Merlin  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Smoked Spare RIbs!

So you can add to your grocery list and start cooking?! Haha

Merlin  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Smoked Spare RIbs!

So I never measure for sauce; I just freestyle and taste as I go. A mixture of some locally made base sauce touched up with a dash of soy, some white wine, a wee bit of scotch, and a hit of Cholula and lime juice. I only sauce on the smoker/grill and then brush the inside of the foil before wrapping. All about that bark!

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Annoyed by Restaurant Playlists, a Master Musician Made His Own

Talk about a dream job!

Merlin  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Looking for roadtrip advice [Canadian Rockies x Alaska]

You are very welcome! If you any questions about anything just shoot me a message and I'll do my best to answer! I also must say that if you go south from Denali there are some amazing opportunities to Brewery Hop (if you are a beer drinker) Alaska is a great place for beer!

Merlin  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Lockheed Martin LM-100J Does a Loop in its Flying Display at Farnborough Airshow

Must be crazy in the cockpit of that thing. Good share!

Merlin  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How's Hubski's Starcraft II presence? Do you play?

AoE is a classic. Great game. It took me a little bit to get into Starcraft because of exactly the same reason! There is micromanagement but it does go alongside macro gameplay. It took me a while to really understand how to play the game. The learning curve for me was a beast. But I can say that Blizzard really has their ranking system worked out though! It didn't take many matches to get put in a reasonably competitive bracket when I started.

Merlin  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Looking for roadtrip advice [Canadian Rockies x Alaska]

I live in Kenai, Alaska and would say your outline looks pretty fun! Denali is worth going to because it's Denali and you should be there at least once in your life if given the opportunity. You are also guaranteed some great wildlife viewing. Fairbanks is an interesting place as well although it's really flat and very hot this time of the year. Most people flock to Fairbanks in the winter because of the amazing opportunities for Aurora-Gazing and the fact that it also takes almost a day to drive there from Anchorage (or an all-day train ride). There should also be some good berry picking opportunities there at the time of your visit as well. The railroad is a great way to travel if you are not in hurry and don't mind the cost of a ticket. Going south there are a bunch of options as well! If you guys wanna do kayaking there are excellent options out of Seward to explore Resurrection bay. They have a lot of different things going on for renting to tours, solo, or camping included trips. There are also some great day-hiking options in Seward and then the highway from Seward to Soldotna/Kenai is littered with good short multi-hour to long multi-day hikes. If you are into the water-scene and are feeling a little "extreme" I would HIGHLY recommend white-water rafting Six-Mile river in Hope which is just south of Anchorage. They are very fun but they are also class 5 rapids. They were my first white-water experience so beginners can handle it but you will get physical with the water haha

I'm realizing I'm getting a little rambly, as you can tell, I'm a pretty big fan of where I'm from. It's almost impossible to come here and not have an amazing time so as long as you guys keep your eyes out and explore you should be ok.

Creativity  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey Merlin, thanks for your feedback !

I will probably skip Fairbanks based on the description, if it allows me to have one more day around Seward to do some hiking and/or the white-water rafting experience that sounds amazing!

Merlin  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Merlin  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Chefs of Hubski. What are some of your favorite vegetarian dishes to make?

He was probably my favorite "host" on Mind of a Chef! You can tell he really loves what he does and puts his all into it.

Saag Paneer is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes (Indian/Himalayan cuisine is a great place to look for vegetarian food). There a number of good recipes on the internet, this one is pretty simple and tasty.

Sean Brock is the man. His book Heritage is great. I had the opportunity to eat at his restaurant Husk in Charleston in January and it was easily one of the best meals I've ever had in my life.

OftenBen  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

I absolutely LOVED him on Mind of a Chef. He really opened my eyes to what Southern cooking is, beyond fried chicken and grits and chitlins.

I'm incredibly jealous of the Husk visit, that's on my list of restaurants worth traveling for.

I make succotash at least once a week all summer because of this video.

Merlin  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

Merlin  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Homemade Marshmallows!

These are based on Alton Brown's recipe. They taste like delicious little vanilla clouds!

Merlin  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Grubski: SoCo Edition

Sounds like a great meal! Love the watermelon. Have you ever tried doing the watermelon with lime? 1/2c lime juice 1/2c honey in a pan over medium heat. Boil for like 2 mins, cool and then done. So good.