Merlin's comments
Merlin  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: For Capt. Sully Sullenberger, Fame Was a Burden—Until It Became a 'Duty

Seems strange to me that his wife would've gotten angry with him and not the media

thenewgreen  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

She didn’t like that he was giving too much of himself to this. A common complaint of a person that has spouse with a busy life outside of the relationship, whether you’re a celebrity pilot, or a chef that works 8 days a week. Pretty normal.

Merlin  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club no. 38: Born of Man and Woman Discussion

I think you're just supposed to fill in the circumstances with nameless horror because that's pretty much all the subject seems to have experienced. When reading I was thinking about the lack of specific detail and the limitation of the main character's viewpoint being our only insight into the story's world. I would say that the goal is to put the reader on the same level of awareness as the thing in the basement and allow our minds to fill in whatever is upstairs. That is what makes it most relatable to the real world; our experiences will conjure up things we abhor to fill the gap in detail about what's outside the basement.

johnnyFive  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't see it. We're told what's outside the basement: the "parents." But we're not given anything to indicate why they react the way they do.

Merlin  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Noah and The Whale - Shape Of My Heart

Long time love for Noah and the Whale. Good to see them being appreciated

Merlin  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Getting into Go

Accepted!

Merlin  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Getting into Go

There's a very slick tutorial/lessons sections on the site. Highly recommend.

johnnyFive  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

Even better! I'll check it out.

Merlin  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Getting into Go

I've only won about once or twice out of all the games I've played so far haha definitely not much hope here but I can feel myself picking up different things so it's fun to learn!

Merlin  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Getting into Go

I made an OGS group for Hubski if anyone wants to join!

Merlin  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Getting into Go

Done! I'm always down for a lesson! OGS has me at like 25k right now sooooo playing low but having fun haha

Merlin  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Getting into Go

I've been devouring that site. So much fun

Merlin  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Getting into Go

I was told that the best way to start out learning was to lose your first 100 games as fast as possible haha sounds a little weird but trying to do that actually helped a lot

Devac  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·

I lost way more than 100 games this year alone (there's a recreation/board game section at my maths department). Progress block happens to me quite often: I can get quite far on raw instinct/smarts, but then I hit a plateau and making progress feels Sisyphean. Not saying I'm not gonna try, just that it's best to leave hope out of it.

Merlin  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·

wasoxygen  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

I played a lot of fast 9x9 games with friendly, consistent bots to get the hang of things. It was fun to see my rating slowly climb as I learned some of the tricks.

Sensei's Library is a great resource.

Merlin  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've been devouring that site. So much fun

Merlin  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Getting into Go

If you ever wanna hop in an online game. Add me on that site, it's been very accessible to find matches.

johnnyFive  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'll have to refresh myself on the rules, but that sounds like fun!

Merlin  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

There's a very slick tutorial/lessons sections on the site. Highly recommend.

johnnyFive  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

Even better! I'll check it out.

Merlin  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Getting into Go

I've had really great matches so far and met some people who have been very helpful with learning strategy. It's set up for a vast variety of different game styles from multiday to 10min matches. I was completely clueless coming into the site. Learned a lot about it with the resources of the site too. A lot of puzzle and lessons. And it's free!

Merlin  ·  56 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Grubski! Thanksgiving edition! What did you cook? Share here.

The whole smorgasbord! Two turkeys and a ham this year. Ham was roasted. One turkey injected and roasted. One turkey brined and deep fried. This year was easily some of the biggest turkey successes I've had. Will be doing two small turkeys from now on instead of one large.

Not pictured: Sweet and Spicy Bar Nuts, Smoked asparagus, bourbon ginger glazed carrots, shrimp fresh rolls, and all the desserts (there were a lot)

Merlin  ·  67 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My Moments with Stan

</3

Love you, Mr. Lee

Merlin  ·  69 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club: material selection for no. 37

I've never gotten around to watching The Martian Chronicles. I'd give that a go. Anybody have a quality download link?