Merlin's comments
Merlin  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: productivity, rest and crunch time

I've always tried to go about life with the motto "I want to work to live and not live to work." So whenever I've been doing something that starts to drain at my wellbeing I ask myself; how am I progressing my life and is it in the direction I want to go? Which I know probably seems a little dramatic but it's a small bit of introspection that I feel genuinely helps me takes that breath you speak of and exhale with new energy. I have no problem when my life has difficulties and is not necessarily plush but I do have problems when I feel like my life holds drudgery and unfulfilling goal orientation. When that happens I'll often try and take a step back to re-evaluate what I'm trying to do in that moment, then that day, week, month. What am I accomplishing? Is it making me a better person? Is this just a time where I need to buckle down and bust ass; or do I need to step away from this and find something new? Keeping personal projects and skills up are a big part of this for me. I want to feel like I'm bettering myself or my surroundings. I loathe stagnation. When I "breathe in" I want to feel movement in every form. This lets me keep momentum for the work I'm doing and feel positive about the outcome I'm working towards. Which does a lot to fight against a general feeling of "everything is random chaos and nothing really matters". A feeling I can sometimes fall into rather easily.

Merlin  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I watched over 100 fights on YouTube. Here's what I learned.

After training in a few different disciplines for a number of years I can't agree with you more about situational awareness. IMO it has to be the single most important aspect of self-defense (and all-around safety, honestly). I love that hands out of the pockets idea relating to being constantly aware of the people around you. I had a teacher once who would always say, "If you've gotten into a fight you've most likely already failed your training." Meaning that you've probably missed some things leading up to the fight that could have been avoided or altered to avoid contact.

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Exactly. We have a similar saying:

First your teacher will teach you how to fight. Then he'll teach you how not to fight.
Merlin  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: Do any of you live in or have a home in Iceland?

Not in Iceland but I'll take the opportunity to mention I saw some places on AirBnB, if that helps.

Merlin  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Little Frog - A song I wrote recorded last night

Prime Friday morning jam! Thanks for the coffee accompaniment!

Merlin  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

As long as you can share some interests right?! Haha

As for the salmon it is a pretty large part of the way we feed ourselves up here. I try as much as I possibly can to rely on myself for the food I consume so foraging, growing, hunting, and fishing are a pretty big part of my "grocery shopping". Since there are only two people in my home that I need to feed (plus a doggo) the salmon runs have always been enough for me to fill my freezer. Some years it just takes more work/time on the water. The impact will be felt most by native Alaskan communities and the commercial district which, obviously, require a lot more fish than me!

Merlin  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

First Pubski Post:

Moved from Anchorage, AK to the small but beautiful town of Kenai, AK. My girlfriend and I moved in together here so, big steps! We've been here about a month so far. Enjoying life, happy to be alive and well. Finances were somewhat strained during the move but finally feel like I'm getting back on track. New job down here is great; I moved from a large-small business to a small-small business haha my two coworkers are pretty cool and I think I'll be a productive member of this community.

Both the gf and I have not really found too many friends in our age group. This bothers her more than it does me but I think that with some time here we will both find some people we can get along with and build some friendships. Working on finding some groups/clubs to invest some time into to help this along.

I started a garden! Currently growing a few varieties of squash, broccoli, peas, potatoes, parsley, cilantro, scallions, carrots, snow apples, lettuce, beets, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries and a whole lot of wildflowers mixed in everywhere.

The king salmon run has been one of the slowest in the last 50 years which has been hurting the freezer a bit but I'm gearing up for dipnetting! Hopefully, I'll be able to get a few dozen for the winter months.

I've taken the following goals to heart this summer:

Enjoy myself.

Work hard.

Strive for personal betterment.

Hope you all are living it up out there!

- Merlin

thenewgreen  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the update and congrats on the move. It’s funny that the older I get the less it matters what age my friends are. But I suppose my closest friends are all within 5 years of me.

How much do you rely on the abundance of salmon as a good source? Is this a hobby or for practical survival?

Merlin  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

As long as you can share some interests right?! Haha

Merlin  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

Thanks for the reminder of how amazing my girlfriend and her family is! And so sorry you had to put up with so much shit! You are a better man than I, for I would've certainly been unable to avoid causing a scene!

Merlin  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

Ha! I like this. Would be a perfect quest-giver in the main town of my adventure! Thank you

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

I gotcha, I like this. It will fit in nicely in a little cave system I'm working out.

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

On the list! This will be a perfect hook for a beginning quest-line, thanks!

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

Oh yes, classic fantasy gaming. I've been thinking I might incorporate gunpowder technology with Matt Mercer's Gunslinger class and a few items. That would be it though.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Alright. What kind of ideas are you looking for?

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

100% agree with you. I already have some ideas Brewing the Book of Canon!

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

It will be loosely based on the forgotten realms but most geography and societies will be altered. I'll also probably pull from Dark Sun and Eberron and then some homebrew. The beauty of the hex explore system is the land can change pretty dramatically over distances.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

So, clear, classic fantasy?

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Alright. What kind of ideas are you looking for?

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

Thanks, I hope to! Your egg story sounds interesting! Haha my guys would be...dragons??

ooli  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's just a retell of the alien movie story. No scenario to create: An alien is attacking (the one from the movie) and laying eggs. Period.

You dont even have to gave it proper characteristics, it's just about scaring the players with an evasive powerful unexpected foe striking and disappearing in a heartbeat.

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

This is great Haha love it! Thank you! I'll definitely be stealing some of these. I too normally run a bit more of a serious game but that just make the gags all the funnier.

Devac  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

I mean, humorous they may be, but there's no such thing as a useless item. It applies as much to players as the GM. Here's a basic overview of how those went on my sessions:

The Lute of Invisibility is a perfect utility for bards of all levels to help use their songs during combat. Also, as I quickly found out, dramatic entrances. ooli

The Wig of Persecution was a plot item, evidence in a murder mystery where the court adviser was found dead wearing it.

My players used the Axe of Grindness as a distraction when they were captured by a bunch of bandits. They argued that it's damn hard to sharpen an axe in the forest and it should give our rogues enough time to 'take 20' while their guard was preoccupied.

Aside from being a 1/day fireball, The Book of Canon is basically a low-level bardic knowledge substitute that anyone literate can use. I dropped many a hint to my players with it.

Merlin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

100% agree with you. I already have some ideas Brewing the Book of Canon!