Merlin's comments
Merlin  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Looking for roadtrip advice [Canadian Rockies x Alaska]

Good to hear!

So how did your trip end up going? I've been curious to hear the highlights!

Creativity  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

It was exceptional. Writing a tripreport is on my to do list since I came back but I obviously failed to take the time to do it. I will post it on Hubski before the end of next week :)

Merlin  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good to hear!

Merlin  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club: general discussion

Wow! Thanks for the rundown! I'll keep my eyes out for the Frank Herbert books it sounds like!

Merlin  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club: general discussion

Well, you seem like the person to ask here then; when should I stop reading? Right after the original or are the other books worth diving into?

OftenBen  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

So.

Fanboy in me wants to say 'EVERYTHING SPICE DUNE FLAVORED IS AMAZING!'

Realistic fan wants to say 'The Frank Herbert books are good. The stuff written by his son and Kevin J. Anderson are okay. The movie is entertaining but not representative of the depth of the book, also lampoons some stuff that is in my mind philosophically important. (Herbert put a lot of work into the book for a reason. He wanted the whole thing to be able to be taken as a gestalt) I think when we are judging the whole series (Excluding canon debate) the important thing is to unfortunately judge each segment of the sandworm separately.

The detailed breakdown is this. Dune as a standalone novel is pretty damn rad. As you already know the characters are unique (Even if their archtypes are not), the setting is rich and vibrant, and Herbert's dedication to evocative description makes the whole thing just a pleasure to read. I give copies of it to friends and family as holiday presents sometimes.

The novels Frank Hebert wrote after Dune are not as focused and tend to get sort of lost in the weeds in some ways. They are worth a comprehensive read I think and I really enjoy them even if I tend to skip around bits when I reread. Overall they take a lot of the consequences of Dune through their 'natural' progression and unfortunately Herbert died before finishing it outright. If you enjoyed Dune, there is a high probability you will enjoy the later novels.

The novels written by his son and Kevin J. Anderson are... Dune flavored pablum. They scratch the itch when the itch arises but I'd rather get the uncut, pure SPICE writing of FH himself. Some of it does read like fanfiction. If you are used to fanfiction, I think it's half decent. If you're not used to fanfiction, I'd leave it alone.

I have watched clips of the movies and read enough about what was cut to have no interest in watching them or the miniseries. In my mind the thing has to to be tackled game of thrones style or pretty much not at all. This next movie attempt is a big gamble with a director who hopefully can translate decades of 'what if' into something both the fandom and mainstream can tolerate if not enjoy.

Meant to post this hours ago, oops!

Merlin  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree! You're further along than me but I can almost tangibly feel some of the mysterious, foreshadowing going on. Really excited to see what happens. I'm also extremely surprised about how I don't think I know any spoilers for this book. It seems to have gone through generations without being spoiled like other series (like Star Wars and everybody knowing Vader is Luke's father) which I find pretty impressive.

OftenBen  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't know if you COULD really spoil Dune. Individual plot points maybe but not the whole thing. There are simply too many things to cover.

So excited to see the Dune wave sweeping hubski. Dune has been my favorite piece of fiction since high school and it holds up to time and rereads super well.

Cheers! Enjoy it!

Merlin  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

So.

Fanboy in me wants to say 'EVERYTHING SPICE DUNE FLAVORED IS AMAZING!'

Meant to post this hours ago, oops!

Merlin  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

lol! Are we on the same brainwave?! Made Dune posts at the same time! Are you almost done with it? I'm more on the just started side but I've been loving it too!

zebra2  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

It must be Dune season then. I've been taking my time with it, so I'm about 2/3rds of the way through. The basic plot is known to me, but one of the wonders of this book is how it basically spells-out all the clues you need to know how the story proceeds with the opening epigraphs and such, yet still remains enthralling.

Merlin  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

Cheers! Enjoy it!

Merlin  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

So.

Fanboy in me wants to say 'EVERYTHING SPICE DUNE FLAVORED IS AMAZING!'

Meant to post this hours ago, oops!

Merlin  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sounds neat, I personally just picked up the sci-fi classic "Dune" by Frank Herbert. Somehow I have owned it for years but never once sat down and cracked it open. I'm only a few chapters in (Paul is just now arriving on Arrakis) but I have been really enjoying it! I'm excited to dive into some of the worldbuilding aspects and see what makes this the classic it is!

johnnyFive  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm excited for you! Dune is my favorite fiction book of all time.

ooli  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm happy for you. And if you enjoy this one, You'll have hours of enjoyment with all the subsequent books

Dune and all the book in the series were the first books in my life I read more than once.

I even tried 1 book in the same universe "written" by F.Herbet son's, Brian Herbert (if I remember his name correctly, I still have this abomination on my bookshelves, but wont look for it). It almost make me puke out of second hand embarrassment.

Merlin  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 294th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

love me some bleeps and bloops

Been jamming to this record lately. Absolutely love this song! Just makes you feel good inside!

Merlin  ·  53 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club no. 36: The Last Question discussion

One of my favorite parts about this story is how each section in time is defined by Man's curiosity. In the beginning, constructing a massive, super-impressive machine in order to ask it questions and work on things we can't. Continuing to make the machine better and better so we can ask harder and harder questions and do ever increasingly complicated tasks. All so that we can satisfy our irreparable desire to know what is unknowable.

I think this trait of humanity is what keeps science fiction in our hearts generation after generation. The fact that even though a portrayal of the future from something created over fifty years ago looks so different from a portrayal of the future created in the present time; it retains this same sense of curiosity about what is to come, what kind of tasks will need to be accomplished. One could probably argue that for a lot of stories/genres, I suppose. To me though, the curiosity of science fiction will always be my favorite aspect of it.

Merlin  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Accidental death in sixteenth-century England

Looks like even in the 16th century it still sucked to suck.

Merlin  ·  60 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beer-boiled hotdogs

The brewery is pretty "granola", as they say, so if it sounds even remotely chemical or anything like that they tend to try and stay green or make the health conscious decision!

Merlin  ·  60 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beer-boiled hotdogs

No, they're BPA free! But a good heads up for anyone wanting to do this is to check that!

OftenBen  ·  60 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank goodness!

There was this big hullabaloo about it a few years ago when crowlers and canned craft beer in general was starting to take off but I'm not sure any sort of standardization was agreed upon.

Merlin  ·  60 days ago  ·  link  ·

Merlin  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beer-boiled hotdogs

So local breweries around my town do these things called "crowlers". It's a 32oz. can they fill and seal right there on the spot with your beer of choice. I believe this is pretty common in breweries. My favorite one here will let me bring in hunter sticks/brats and put them in the can before they fill it up with beer. So the final result is a sealed 32oz. can of beer marinated brats.

1: bring camping

2: Open can set by the fire

3: Wait until bubbling over and hot

4: Profit

OftenBen  ·  61 days ago  ·  link  ·

One quick question.

Those cans aren't lined with any nasty plastic are they? Because the thought of you boiling delicious BPA into your brats is a sad one.

Merlin  ·  60 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  60 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank goodness!

Merlin  ·  60 days ago  ·  link  ·

Merlin  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club: material selection for no. 36

I'd love to hop in on this Sci-Fi Club! Not sure how often material is picked but this showed up as the latest material selection post under #scificlub

If it needs to be short and free and easily accessible I would put forward The Last Question by Isaac Asimov. It is one of my favorite short stories and a really great conversation starter!

I'd second Last Question. It's easy.