Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Isherwood's comments
Isherwood  ·  161 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Let's have a book thread! What have you been reading?

I'm halfway through the extended version of American Gods. I read the original version a while ago and I'm loving the revisit, but I'm also easily distracted and the book is so thick it's almost a cube so my dedication is waning.

I also have a friend who wanted to start a comic book book club and we're starting with Sandman, so my break from Neil Gaiman is... Neil Gaiman! It's interesting because you can see him trying out the literary tools he perfected years later.

Spoilers

Isherwood  ·  171 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Enticing Sin of Empathy: How Satan corrupts through compassion

I'm in the south and recently went on a "church tour" with my wife. We found our fair share of hellfire and brimstone evangelicals, but we were also pleased to find a strong counter culture of small and actually loving churches.

In that tour, I really started to believe that the sin of man was in the fact that we only have half of what it takes to be gods. We ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but we don't have the immortality required to put good and evil into context.

To me, that defines the center of Christian love - we all have our own beliefs, our own habits, and our own lives, and we all want to weigh the world on the scale of good and bad. The good Christians that I know can see the limitations of their judgement, put little stock in it, and can lean into being in a community with people who are different.

This is the value of empathy to me. It's not the distanced condolences of sympathy, but an earnest desire to understand the feelings of a person whose life you haven't lived, but which rhymes very neatly with your own. Empathy is not the enemy, it's the belief that you wield god's judgement of a person's value.

Isherwood  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 8, 2019

I SURVIVED!

It was beautiful when we were in the mountains and snowed the day we left. Your weather is weird.

steve  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·

so... sooooo weird. Glad you had a great time. Let's grab lunch if you're ever back in this part of the country.

Isherwood  ·  195 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 8, 2019

Nice. Right now we're wall to wall, but I'm not sure how well our camping plans will pan out (we're Southerners and it's cold there). I'll hit you up if we get pushed to Denver early.

steve  ·  195 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well - the mountains can be finicky this time of year. Next week is crazy time ‘round our house, but if you find yourself rained out and in need of a place to get warm and dry... hit me up we’ve got a guest room for you.

Isherwood  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·

I SURVIVED!

steve  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·

Isherwood  ·  197 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 8, 2019

Going to Devner at the end of the week for 11 days, then coming back and starting IVF. It'll be a nice break before the real shit starts.

Also, at some point on hubski I doubted kleinbl00 on how expensive children were. Looking at the IVF charges and how that's just for a pre-kid, I'll eat my humble pie.

Also, the greenhouse is on hold - looking at the planned area in the summer, it's completely shaded in by the now leafy trees. I'm considering fixing up our shed as a new project instead.

You can do kids on the cheap but only if you're a terrible, sociopathic parent.

We've spent substantially less on a whole buncha stuff than most anybody I know and according to Quicken that kid still costs me more per year than an 800-series BMW would. And she's six. No orthodontia, all activities firmly in the "just punking around" price bracket, and her medical expenses actually pay me because it's an experimental treatment (goes into a fund for her education, but still the number is positive not negative).

steve  ·  197 days ago  ·  link  ·

Going to Devner at the end of the week for 11 days

Meetup? I don’t know how tightly you’re booked, but I’d love to meet ya.

Isherwood  ·  195 days ago  ·  link  ·

steve  ·  195 days ago  ·  link  ·

Isherwood  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·

I SURVIVED!

steve  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·

Isherwood  ·  197 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Podcast sharing thread?

If you like History and Prose, the Memory Palace fits neatly in the middle of that venn diagram.

If you liked Serial, try S-Town. It's like a modern day Faulkner novel, but a documentary podcast.

steve  ·  197 days ago  ·  link  ·

That one has popped up in the recommended list. On your recommendation, I'll give it a listen!

Isherwood  ·  246 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Wintergatan - Marble Machine (musical instrument powered by 2000 marbles)

I will never not watch this.

Isherwood  ·  246 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 13, 2019

So good. I'll take this into account, but I think the greenhouse got back burnered. We found a squirrel's nest in our shed and a ton of holes chewed through the eves. That'll probably take precedence.

Isherwood  ·  253 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Week in a VR Headset

I have a VR headset and I 100% think it's the future of consuming certain types of digital content. I also think there will be VR drugs that use light and sound to stimulate the brains of users and create super addicting experiences for a few.

But some of this conversation feels a lot like the second life conversation, especially things like VR Chat. It's neat, but it just isn't "there" yet.

Isherwood  ·  253 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 13, 2019

Oh man, now I love books. That enthusiasm is infectious!

Just reading through it, I was thinking about a big book we have that's the complete genealogy of our family going back to the 1600s. It's in fine shape now, but it's definitely something I would pay to have nicely and artistically bound, because I want it to last generations.

My gut says, if you could find a clean way to put Ancestry reports in a book, you would have a real business.

applewood  ·  252 days ago  ·  link  ·

Books are super easy to love. That we still have such a demand for physical books even with the internet and movies and games and all is a testament to how wonderful they are. :)

There are still a ton of traditional binders out there that would be more than able to help you out with that. Of course a lot of them do book restorations too, so if you ever have an heirloom Bible or something that you want repaired, they can do that for you as well.

I've thought a bit about binding stuff for other people. It's something I might definitely look into down the road. I don't think I'd be able to do something like an Ancestry Report, just because those are copyrighted, but I think if I ever come across a poet or an artist that wants to make maybe five or ten or twenty books, I could try and help them out. It would probably be a lot of fun and maybe a bit of a challenge.

oh yeah, I'm building it because we just got new windows and those are the old ones they took out. 100% free.

I am, however, trying to figure out the roof, which I'll have to buy, and this site looks great for that. I really want the steep side that face the sun to be able to lift for air flow, but that might be too much for this project.

HGL  ·  250 days ago  ·  link  ·

My casual observations in no real order.

They make actuators with a fluid that passively expands when it gets hot for greenhouse applications. Kind of pricey but really cool. Also think about the edges of the window, idk what yours look like are they channels or some other shape that will trap moisture and mold?

You will want an upper beam thats not in the sketch on the roof, that will prevent the panels from taking a bunch of shear load.

You are missing a window retention ledge i think, those windows will take a ton of load, you will want a strip of wood or something to distribute load into them.

You probably have too many windows, you don't need that many since at least 1 side will very little sun.

Figure out what the available angles are for metal roof brackets at the hardware stores. Use one of those if not using one already.

The center span will sag way too much. Youll want to put posts every 24" or closer. 4 post wont cut it with that long of a span.

Isherwood  ·  246 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got any books? 'cuz dollars to donuts, your local library has at least two books about building your own greenhouse.

Don't even get me started on the timesuck that is Pinterest.

This is super neat and it's interesting to hear about the component parts. Maybe I missed this, but why bookbinding at all?

applewood  ·  253 days ago  ·  link  ·

So many reasons!

Firstly, I just love books. I don't mean just reading and collecting them, as actual objects I find them so beautiful. I love the variety of sizes and colors, the way they look on a shelf and the way they feel in my hands, and when you're holding a well made book you just know. I love seeing how printing techniques change over time and how those techniques can add to or detract from the quality of the book. I love paper, I love colors, I love art, and I love reading, and books take all of those individual components and somehow make them bigger and brighter and special.

I also love antiques, crafts, and folk art. Wood carvings, metal engravings, quilts, hand made furniture, on and on the list can go. I'm not very crafty though and some things take a lot of skill, know how, and often expensive tools to start. With books, the entry level cost is quite low and the initial learning curve starts out relatively low (but ramps up quickly the better you want to get and the more you want to learn and incorporate). While I wouldn't call my books "art," I would say I take a deliberate and artistic mindset when I'm making them. Coupled with the fact that there is learning and research and problem solving involved in figuring how to make a good, sturdy book that also looks nice, there's growth and satisfaction there.

Lastly, I tried to get a job in bookbinding, but unfortunately everyone that is hiring for that kind of thing requires degrees in stuff such as library science or art conservation or, for everyday publishers and manufacturers, there really isn't demand for traditional, handmade books. So I figured one day, if I really wanna make books, I should just make them on my own, because if I love them so much, why the heck not?

Isherwood  ·  253 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh man, now I love books. That enthusiasm is infectious!

applewood  ·  252 days ago  ·  link  ·

There's that well off to the left (not pictured) the cap of which isn't quite flush with the foundation. I think I need to raise the whole thing to account for that height difference, so I figured I would add a floor. But I could probably accomplish the same thing with a ramp. Then I could fill the dirt in with rocks and make a primitive french drain.

I'll also point out that unless those windows are near-free it'll work out to be cheaper to buy a greenhouse kit. Grower's Supply will happily send you a lust-inducing catalog.

Isherwood  ·  253 days ago  ·  link  ·

HGL  ·  250 days ago  ·  link  ·

My casual observations in no real order.

Isherwood  ·  246 days ago  ·  link  ·

Don't even get me started on the timesuck that is Pinterest.