Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club: general discussion

I was working my way through the Expanse as well, but at some point I got distracted somewhere in Cibola Burn and haven't gotten back into it. I can't recall what it was that made me stop but I should really get back into it. My partner and I blew through the TV Show and were itching for more so I picked up the books thus far.

Foveaux  ·  77 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: First Ever Images of a Black Hole

So damn cool. Love seeing how much it means to the people involved.

Foveaux  ·  98 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google attempts to fuck up gaming as bad as it has fucked up everything else

Ah well, probably for the best then. Honestly, we've got our laptops, a switch, PS4, and two Retropies so at least in our household we're set for a bit of casual fun.

Shit I remember tinkering with Plex - I don't think I ever really understood how it was meant to operate and gave up pretty quickly. I'm using a FireTV with that Kodi addon but the device is about 4 years old now. Shield it shall be, soon.

We have an nVidia shield in our flat, slowly using them to replace our FireTV setups in our bedrooms/lounge - mine is next to be replaced but we've barely scratched the gaming side of it.

But as you've mentioned elsewhere here, 35GB per second. Our internet is fucking fast for New Zealand - https://www.odt.co.nz/business/dunedin%E2%80%99s-net-speed-not-reflected-data-use but even so...

I almost bought it as a Plex box a few times but Plex never fails to disappoint.

They're not launching in NZ. They're launching in the US... where you can pay $80/mo for 50MB. And maybe they've got magic to make it work but if you're playing it in a browser your magic suffers from heavy constraint.

OftenBen  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·

I just installed Plex on the new smart-tv we put in the living room. It seems to pull movies from my media repository just fine when I need them.

How has it let you down?

- it transcodes like shit on PS3 (better on PS4)

- Chromecast works sometimes

- Files are stored in proprietary formats so you can't sync with plex and play with something else

- playback sucks (flat out skips, pops and distorts on Android - how the fuck can you not play MP3 files)

- Has promised working with tuners for four fucking years

- Has maintained that it works with tuners for two fucking years when it doesn't

- Has had no answers about the tuners for two fucking years

OftenBen  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·

Noted.

Foveaux  ·  98 days ago  ·  link  ·

Foveaux  ·  100 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Last Week Tonight: Public Shaming

Damn, not avaliable in NZ yet - would definitely enjoy this one I think.

Foveaux  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Are kids going on strike over climate inaction where you are?

Had about 1000 turn up in Dunedin. For city of about 130k when the Uni students are here, that's not a horrible amount.

Some quality signs on display - "My outrage can't fit on this sign". And "We don't have a vote, but we do have a voice".

Foveaux  ·  103 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mass shooting at 2 mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand

Even our city is just so quiet today. Everyone is feeling it in some shape or form.

Foveaux  ·  107 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 321st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Yeah I'm well behind, I discovered some of The Eagles work in 2017 - well my partner showed me their stuff - and One of these Nights shot to the top of my most played!

In a way it's cool, people get to introduce some loved classics and watch me get right into it for the first time.

Foveaux  ·  108 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 321st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Both songs by Pyramid;

and

Also this because I'd never heard it till recently and feel like I've been missing out...

mk  ·  107 days ago  ·  link  ·

Omg you hadn’t heard night moves until recently? I’m both happy and sad. Enjoy. It’s in my veins.

Foveaux  ·  107 days ago  ·  link  ·

Foveaux  ·  108 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Houseplants actually clean the air.

Thanks for writing it all out - I was thinking about some kind of angled-pot mechanics as I was picturing having to replace just one and what work that might entail. Good to know I was vaguely heading in the right direction.

The upside is this might not be necessary for me, no issue with space where I live and I imagine these sprung up to combat that issue. I do like the aesthetic though.

I was watching that Planet Earth 2 Doco and was transfixed by the Singapore man-made trees. I had seen pictures of them before and I honestly thought they were a sci-fi concept art thing for a bit.

Like, fuck that's cool. No idea if it's doing what they intended, but it's cool.

There's this whole pseudo-specialty called "biophilic design." I'm no expert and I haven't dug around too much but it basically seems to be the science of "plants are cool."

Green walls started from a basis of "plants are cool" and then there was some science reverse-engineered into it in order to crack money loose. Designers like Ken Yeang cover their buildings in plants 'cuz it's dope and if they can back into some science so much the better. That, I believe, is the justification for the Singapore trees - they look fuckin' cool and Malaysia has been pushing hard into green design so Singapore jumped on, too.

I love the aesthetic. I put up a green wall not because I wanted an air filter but because they look cool. That Boston Fern hanging above the bar is not doing as good a job of making the air breathable as a Smokeeter but a live one is helping more than a silk one.

Well this isn't how I thought I spend my Monday morning but I'm well intrigued by all this.

My partner is a plant-lady, I reckon I could sell her on a green-wall. My landlord however...

You can build 'em freestanding.

Any discussion of green walls invariably makes its way back to Patrick Blanc, who basically came up with the idea. His implementation is "fixture covered with soil that is retained somehow" which in the US, generally means a heinous combination of greenboard, burlap and dirt. The professional version of this is a little fancier but still basically "trap a bunch of dirt next to your wall and grow stuff in it." There are residential solutions for this.

Credit where credit is due - the first one I ever saw was Siam Paragon, which is one of Blanc's.

The drawback of "wall with dirt" is that if a plant dies, you get to go dig it out. And you get to replace it. In amongst all the other plants. On your carpet. Or whatever. Picking plants becomes hella more important when you basically have to tear up the world. If they get to big, you have to tear up the world. If they get blight, you have to tear up the world. Green walls got a reputation as fiddly and fussy. And then GSky stepped in.

GSky figured out that the plants are already in dirt and really, if you can put pots on a wall the world gets a lot easier. They came up with a system whereby you put pots in at an angle, water the top, and everything fills up to the point where part of the pot is sitting in an inch of water, and then the water trickles down below. Here's mine without plants.

They used to sell that to end-users in a housing. I had to buy two and a half of them, basically. They're expensive - each one of those trays is about $100 worth. And then you have to buy the plants (in this case, 196 of them). I think that's about a $2800 green wall. The argument was that it was going to be way less work and way more on-brand than the ubiquitous marine tank and it's been a total win so far. This is why GSky can charge what they do - they have a patent and they have something ridiculous like 80% of all the installed green walls in the world (so much for Mr. Blanc).

Which is exactly the sort of thing that attracts the attention of the Chinese.

Foveaux  ·  108 days ago  ·  link  ·

Foveaux  ·  111 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I don’t wanna do my video game chores

I think the last Final Fantasy I bought was X. The more I see come out the less I think I'm missing out on.

Took me like 50 hours playtime as a kid to beat Final Fantasty VII (5 hours on 3-phase Hojo, that fuck) and it remains one of my fondest gaming memories, now if I were to put that many hours into a game it's probably because I'm grinding just to play the fucking game.

Notable current exceptions are Stardew Valley and Breath of the Wild.

Yeah, once again Nintendo seems to have created a video game ecosystem for people who don't want to surrender their lives.

I dunno. I guess the fact that there aren't any console games that don't end up dominated by Tryhards indicates that the console sphere belongs to the Tryhards. I thought they lived in the PC ecosystem but I mean

...that's a guy who brought his PS4, his shitty monitor and his generic-ass Sunny D to the goddamn library on a Monday afternoon.

Foveaux  ·  111 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The People Who Eat the Same Lunch Every Day

Das me 2.

I love the routine. Making stuff at home and carting it is has been so much cheaper too.

I think my grandad has had a ham sandwich for lunch, almost every day since he was a kid. He's mid-80s now and if you visit around lunchtime, you're getting a ham sammie.

Foveaux  ·  112 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: HIPSTER HATE II: SOUR GRAPES BOOGALOO

Always wanted to try a Manhattan, in Manhattan. Gotta get there first.

If my concept of masculinity could be shaped that easily by a material object, then maybe my concept of masculinity was too plastic to concern myself with. Dance like it’s fun.

Amen.