a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm back

Gutting about missing the rugby. I am already watching highlights in lieu of actual matches.

Did you bring any cool shit back from the UK? Some sweet duty free?

goobster  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I did! I brought three bottles of whisky:

- Talisker 6 single cask,

- "Big Peat" a blend of Islay's finest,

- and another bottle of Ailsa Bay that I can get in the States.

I also got a plushie Highland Cow in a tartan hat for my mom, as well as MacGillivray and Buchanan tartan fridge magnets for her.

Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nice! I just tried some Talisker recently, apparently is can be polarizing but I enjoyed it. Currently on a nice Islay.

Foveaux  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm back

I, too, read that as "pinched a loaf".

kantos  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Google gives a nice diagram for that phrase. TIL what pinch a loaf means... and TMI Google, TMI...

Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 25, 2020

Day 1 of the NZ Lockdown Extravaganza. The sun is shining and I have a powerful urge to travel far and wide. So instead I did some washing, had some meetings and am contemplating packing it in for the day at 2pm with fuck all else to do (work-wise).

Thankfully my employer is government funded and they have said even if I don't have any work to do, I'm still being paid during the time away from the office. Gotta love that kind of benefit. I don't want to just sit around for 4 weeks but if nothing comes to my work station I'm just gonna have to get really good at some more video games.

Ooh I could stream on the Hubski discord for those who are super bored.

Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm back

Foveaux  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New Zealand now in lockdown

Dr Wiles has been a wonderful source of easily digestible info for the panicked average Kiwi - https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/covid-19/412585/covid-19-siouxsie-wiles-answers-your-lockdown-questions

Foveaux  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "I've noticed you've been working from home." An op-ed by your dog.

Yeah I can see my cat in a monologue like this!

He brought his first bird in to us the other week, it was still alive so I made him drop it and let it outside where it flew away and the look he gave me was legitimate contempt.

"That. Was. Your. Lunch."

Foveaux  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: We’re not going back to normal

In NZ some are thinking it might be 18 months. But we've had the luxury of watching things unfold long before we had our first case, plenty of time to learn what might be useful.

Foveaux  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sorry, America, the Full Lockdown is Coming.

Man, I got an email from Netflix saying "please come back", and learned I had somehow cancelled my membership. So I went to re-do it and they wouldn't accept my card. Or my partners. For like three days we tried to give them money and I gave up.

However, my family latch onto my account like baby possums so they noticed the lack of Netflix. Mum eventually tried her hand and her card was rejected under my account, so she made her own account.

Now I am the baby possum.

Foveaux  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 18, 2020

Journey is just wonderful huh. I got the game and the PS4 theme that came with it and it's been my theme on the console for the last like 2 years. The music is so lovely.

Foveaux  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski COVID-19 Round-Up #1

Our city finally got our first case, and second one soon after. A father and his son, the son goes to a local high school in the same class as the daughter of one of our professors so they are all at home now. It's actually affecting us, wow. I had just been watching my retirement/first house fund sink but now it's here.

Foveaux  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 11, 2020

Yeah we're just trying to get things ready in case we have to - we're a part of the Medical School unfortunately so I have no idea how they're going to handle the clinical side of things for the aspiring Drs. They'll figure it out though.

Yeah we have a lot of back and forth with Australia though it's more us to them than the reverse. Tourism is a huge part of the NZ economy too, we'll feel a pinch eventually I think. Right now it's business as usual, but everyone is giving the future a side-eye just in case.

I say we haven't been hit, we've actually had 5 cases but the number hasn't jumped for a while. But the old incubation time before symptoms show might be holding things back.

kantos  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

5 ain't bad! Interested to see how it is a few weeks from now.

Good call on the online stuff - we're just going through some tests of our systems to shift entirely to online here in NZ. Our postgrad papers are all online but the undergrad is normally exam based and comes with some decent tutorials. We haven't been hit by it but I'm glad we're preparing as we're going to enter our flu season next month!

kantos  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oddly enough, our department's dean forwarded an e-mail yesterday stating they weren't planning on going online yet. BUT, there have been whispers to faculty to get ready just in case, so the swap after a week of break should be ez pz. No time like the present to do your testing.

I see Australia's got some cases. I'm not too savvy on that corner of the globe, does NZ get a lot of traffic from AUS, or susceptible from tourism?

Foveaux  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

5 ain't bad! Interested to see how it is a few weeks from now.

Foveaux  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 372nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

I remember listening to this album when it first came out. I feel like there was a year when Imagine Dragons were everyone's go too band, but nobody talked about it to anyone else so you sort of enjoyed it on your lonesome.

kantos  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's a nice album for just that. The tracks hold memories of the time it came out.

Foveaux  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It's the Affordability, Stupid

There are a number of ways to deal with housing, but they all start by not treating housing as a bank.

If you could come over to NZ and tell everyone this that'd be grand.

Oof. Dude. I watched the housing crash from SoCal.