a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 16, 2020

Gym stuff is going great - numbers keep jumping up.

Joined a DnD campaign after being an (the sole) audience member via discord. It's actually so much fun. The reveal was excellent too - I've been gaming friends with these guys most of this year, and have been following the campaign since it started, I just mute myself in chat and listen when they're in the zone. Eventually they said "Hey come join the campaign you'd love it" and I of course said "thanks but no thanks", but then I went to the DM and said "actually yes please". So the DM orchestrated a grand reveal mid-way through the session and it worked a treat. Chants started up, screaming and cheering. They didn't see it coming and it was glorious.

Good times yo, Wednesdays are so much fun now. It's the little things.

Foveaux  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 2, 2020

Benched 140kg this week. That's my lifetime bench goal attained with minimal fanfare. Last time I tried it before lockdown it pretty much folded me - this time it barely registered as a difficult lift.

Not sure what to aim for now. Jokingly told the gym owner I'd cancel my membership cause I've done everything I set out to do but sure enough I was back in the next day cause it's routine and lets be honest, I'm gonna try lift more anyway.

Foveaux  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Long videos don't do well on hubski but I teared up multiple times watching this

The fuck they whip out guns to evict people!

I guess the evictees could also have guns.. Still. I'll never get over handguns man.

Edit: Wait shit I have seen this - that chap getting the deal with the pizzeria, my partner and I have seen this. Guess I better watch it again.

Foveaux  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The case against American truck bloat

Hmm I could only really give personal answers so I will provide this link about the legal consequences - https://oag.parliament.nz/2013/drink-driving/appendix3.htm as to whether these sentences are considered harsh or not, I'm unsure. They're all I know!

I can comment on our culture though - we have a nasty drinking/driving history and while things are changing, we lose hundreds of people to driving related incidents each year, in 2017 about 50% of those were drug/alcohol influenced deaths. That article also suggests making the alcohol limit 0 for adults which is the current rule for teenagers which I honestly wouldn't mind. But I rarely drive my car, I live in a small city and I walk everywhere I need to go so this wouldn't impact me in any real way.

We do have some stellar ads around drink driving though, etched into our lexicon almost a decade down the line -

My parents told me when I was about 16 and heading off for a booze cruise with my friends, how impressed they were that our group always, always, always has a "sober D" and that in their day it would just be a matter of the least drunk driving everyone home. So hopefully we're on the right path culturally.

Foveaux  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 29, 2020

Cheeky little shits keep trying to escape quarantine here in NZ. Running the risk of ruining everything we've achieved so far, so they can visit a supermarket. No community transmission in like 60(?) days now.

Senua's Sacrifice is still on my mind. Video games are often on my mind but this one has really stuck with me after completing it. Throughout 8 hours I genuinely felt horror, elation, hopelessness, determination and even a little bit of peace. It was an absolutely wild experience.

The group of people I regularly game with have a very active Discord server, I talk to them more than my local group of friends sometimes. I caved a bought a webcam as they had never seen me in about 7 months of knowing me, and they all tend to use webcams when talking or doing their DnD campaign at least. Turned it on and they all had a beer/drink in hand and they clinked their cameras for me, it was really sweet. The absolute nerds.

New Zealand is carrying on as best it can - job losses are starting to mount though, the next wave of covid-19 related crap is fast approaching.

Foveaux  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dune: the Trailer has Awoken

I've tried to read Dune twice now, I keep giving up but this trailer looked dope.

Foveaux  ·  93 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 24, 2020

Going through my phone and clearing out texts, came across this beauty the night before we all went into lockdown here in NZ. Got me feeling kinda strange that lockdown came and went, 2 months flew by. I'm not a hugely patriotic person but that "Kia kaha" at the end did make me a little teary.

I've finished The Last of Us Part 2. It's good, the gameplay is excellent as expected. I just found the story to be so fucking dark. I know it's post-apocalyptic and all but damn, it was harrowing. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but I found it difficult to enjoy the game when I was just feeling so bad for every character involved. It was honestly a depressing bloody time..

9/10.

Foveaux  ·  86 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 1, 2020

I see there is some discussion on employment.

I have an interesting time that I somehow survived. Under the latest setup with my work, people in any administrative role can technically be uplifted and embedded in any other department in the University. Will this be effective? No. Will they try it anyway? Turns out, yes.

I got a phone call from my bosses, bosses, boss. I'm on good terms with him, I've helped new staff enter this cesspit of "structural change" since I started, all out of my usual office hours. He called me to ask if he could visit, I said of course, and he's headed over.

Now this is odd, I wonder why he's coming to talk to me in person? Turns out, he wants to yank me out of my department (also the only effective department under his control, because of yours godamn truly) and place me into the worst performing one, because the administrator there is extremely unhappy and wants to be relocated.

"Why is she unhappy?" I asked - thankfully he was very honest, which I think may have been his undoing. He said the Head of Department and the Finance Manager both make life very difficult for her - she feels bullied and unwanted there. Well that's a simple answer for me, thanks but no thanks. He fires back with "You're the only one I can ask to try and steady this ship" (He's referencing cricketer Kane Williamson but I ain't about that). I then asked, is there any chance of me getting a payrise or some kind of compensation out of this? He is again honest, not a chance in hell. I decided to say I would think about it and let him know ASAP.

I call my boss and let her know, and she admits he told her about his plan just yesterday and his words then were "This is a courtesy call really, he doesn't have a choice". Which is when I decided to say no in the way that makes it very hard for me to be shifted.

The next day I sit down with him and my boss (who is supporting me staying, if nothing else because whoever they replace me with, simply won't be as good) and I explain that I am worried about being placed in a known toxic environment, and that if I were to find it unpleasant enough to want to leave this could be considered constructive dismissal, given there is clear evidence of said environment. I explained that asking the lowest paid person in the department to fix the issue of an arrogant Head of Department who is one of only a handful gastroenterologists in the country (who are also interested in medical education) is a big fucking ask. One that would require some serious HR support and financial compensation, but given that HR exists to protect him from me, and not me from others, I don't have high hopes for my success.

He blinked a few times and agreed that wouldn't be healthy.

Long story short, I'm not going anywhere. Fuck structural reviews. "Can we pay these people less and make them work more? We can?! Do it".

Foveaux  ·  99 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 17, 2020

Out of lockdown for 4 weeks now. Life is relatively normal so far but there are a number of shops in town that have simply closed/emptied which is sad to see. I certainly don't miss lining up for groceries, even though that was always an impressively civil encounter for all involved.

With some new cases being announced this week after 28 days of no new ones, the political posturing has begun again and fuck me I'm sick of it.

I designed our undergrad exams to be taken online and they all went smoothly thank goodness, only 3 of a few hundred didn't take the exam, about what we'd expect in normal exam settings with the odd student deciding not to attend at all.

Now.. Until this week I had never had Mac and Cheese. I don't particularly enjoy cheesy things, and it's never made it's way into my cooking repertoire. Normally I do the cooking in our household, my partner isn't a huge fan of cooking and I really like it - but this week she wanted to make Mac and Cheese so she set to it. Lawd. It was amazing. I had three servings that first night. Goddamn it was just lovely, and she had leeks, spinach and leftover bacon fried up as a laughably makeshift but delicious salad.

I am converted.

Oh I also found this delicious spiced rum called Moko, I'm not a rum guy but holy shit this stuff tastes like a vanilla liquer and it's delightful. I feel like a new man.

I honestly didn't believe he said that, initially. Surely he wouldn't say something like that.

But he did.

I mean, it's possible he was trying to say "Of course numbers are going up, we're testing more and more. If we didn't test the cases wouldn't increase the way they are". But he's just done an absolutely awful job of conveying his thoughts? God that almost sounded like I defended him but I really want to know how that lil tumbleweed thinks.

Finished The Last of Us: Part 2 - am happy to discuss with people, but the internet appears to have covered every single possible angle on it. Have been cycling through Battlefield 5, Destiny 2, CoD: Warzone, Sea of Thieves, Deep Rock Galactic and now Tabletop Simulator with a group of friends on a mutual Discord server. During lockdown I blasted through the Final Fantasy Remake at a frightening pace.

Battlefield and CoD are so godamn different. I have a healthy K/D ratio in CoD, I've always been fast and accurate so if myself and an opponent spot each other at the same time I'll probably win, but in Battlefield other people can be slower and compensate by being clever. I like to run and gun, but Battlefield doesn't reward that, oh no. I have to be smart about where I go or I'll get demoed 7 different ways by people who know exactly where I'll be coming from. Teamwork is actually important here, whereas in CoD I can leave my team behind if they're being shits. Anyway I'm enjoying them both.

Recently I've been working on a base in Satisfactory which is a wonderful way to kill an hour or two while listening to the above group go through their DnD campaign (I've been invited to join but I'd rather do voices than have to act out an entire character).

I've bought Ghost of Tsushima and unfortunately, I'm bored after an hour. It reminds me of a prettier, samurai FarCry. Which is cool, but I'm not invested by any stretch and I've found the combat a little simple.

Sea of Thieves is hands down the most immature fun I've had in years. Sheer fun with friends, sailing around and messing with each other and every player we come across. Cruising past a player galleon with one crew mate playing the banjo on the plank to discuss a truce, while the rest of us are floating underneath with explosive barrels. Following a ship to an island, letting them do the treasure hunting and when they open the cave, blast them from afar and take their shit - then run for our lives because they've respawned and are gunning for us and their shit. Try to fend them off as we hand in their hard earned shit. Launch yourself, out of your own cannon, onto another person's ship and just start blastin' as they wonder what the fuck is happening and why is the ship ablaze. Absolute, delightful chaos.

Foveaux  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 27, 2020

Kia ora kotou katoa Hubski!

With Reddit frothing on both sides of the fence whenever New Zealand gets mentioned on the site, I have backed away a bit from the internet and just focused on things I can control. I still browse Hubski but I very rarely have anything relevant to say, so lurking is the style for me. But as of 1pm today we have 1 active case remaining in the country which is pretty sweet.

I started a hefty whisky collection while in lockdown. Alongside some basic spirits so I could make some nice drinks for my partner and I after a hard day of doing my civic duty, by doing sweet fuck all. I am about to launch into the Highland side of things, so wish me luck.

Recorded a lot (hours and hours) of videogame footage with my friends, am now making some fun videos with them which I've found really entertaining. Currently working on videos of our exploits in Sea of Thieves.

With the gym reopening, I got to experience what 8 weeks away will do - a shitload of DOMS. Some mild strength loss, but less than I expected thanks to the bodyweight routines while at home.

Hope you're doing okay, nga mihi nui

I just wanted to come back and chuck this link up.

It's a brief write up of my late grandfather. Kinda put in perspective all he achieved, a solid chunk was during retirement! The piano mentioned in the middle section is now sitting in my lounge - from his mothers house, to his and then to mine.

It was a nice read, wanted to share it.

Foveaux  ·  72 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 15, 2020

Same here! Would happily hang that up.

Foveaux  ·  78 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 8, 2020

I'll offer a few and see if any stick. Shit they might be common place for you. The King of Kiwi insults is surely:

"Egg" - Possibly it benefits from our blunt accents, but it really does make the target feel like an idiot. Example - "Oi did you hear James got caught shoplifting?" - "Aye? Fuckin' egg" - "I know aye. Complete egg".

Just picture any of these kids calling you an egg. It's.. enough to make me squirm.

Others include, Tō Raho, munter, muppet, dickhead, mong.

Foveaux  ·  163 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 15, 2020

My whisky collection is growing, NZ Govt considers alcohol delivery an essential if it can be contact-less.

My parents had their 35th wedding anniversary last week so we had a ZOOM meeting with the family to raise a glass to them - was a bit odd but very nice to do.

Work has all but ceased, I've volunteered to help other departments cause I'm bored as shit.

Finished the Final Fantasy 7 Remake over Easter, 36 hours and I didn't do much outside of story based things so eventually I'll go back to properly flesh it out, but I fucking loved what I got from it all the same.

Our Govt is looking at easing restrictions, but only slightly, after we hit our four week lockdown period next Thursday. I might even be able to go back to the office! 9 deaths is 9 too many for any time, but it's a tiny number compared to what it could have been. Proud of my fellow Kiwis for putting in all the hard work needed.

Holy shit I miss the gym.

Foveaux  ·  212 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 26, 2020

My last grandparent passed away in November last year. I inherited his piano and it arrived last week (after much huffing and puffing as the moving company messed up and sent one elderly man to help shift it into my house. Which has stairs). It now sits in my lounge and is a lovely reminder of grandad. I haven't played in years and years but the muscle memory appears to be helping, I have picked up some tunes and am getting back into scales etc. I'm practicing most nights.

Under the lid for the keys, a small child had lightly carved their name into the dark wood of the piano. It reads in shaky writing, 'Alastair Waugh', grandads younger brother. My grandad had his childhood lessons from his mother on this very same piano - it's quite humbling having it in my house and at my fingertips.

Foveaux  ·  199 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 11, 2020

My parents visited with my 3 year old nephew over the weekend - mum got a cute photo of he and I jamming on the piano. His curly hair is the best - before I lost mine to the great Male Pattern Baldness War of 4 years ago, mine was the same. `

A friend is coming round this weekend bearing all kinds of whisky for me to taste - he went to this big festival last week and brought some goodies back, intent on getting me into the world of whisky. Time will tell if it suits but I'll hardly turn down the attempt! Once everything has been tasted we'll turn to the tradition of 1v1 Quickscopes on CoD, 1 sip for 1 death, 2 if it's a particularly humorous death. I'm nearly 30 so this will surely haunt me on Sunday.

Also the Final Fantasy 7 Remake has me all kinds of excited. The music of the opening in the demo genuinely brought a tear to my eye. My brother and I would play that game end to end while he was in hospital/home with whatever new injury he had. Now we're all grown up with careers and lives, and this game brings us straight back down nostalgia alley.

I work for a University and we're planning the "what-ifs" for if COVID-19 hits us properly. Most of our Department is actually setup already as we have a large cohort of distance students (some as far away as the UK) so it only takes some tweaking of the undergrad papers to get them up to speed. I'm yet to be allowed to trial working from home but having done it before I know it's possible. Students and staff are about the same as usual, not many people outwardly panicking. But we've only had 5 cases so far, early days yet.

Foveaux  ·  241 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Boys today. Oof. (seriously intense article)

In my sex ed classes in High School (around 2006/7) we had a wonderful teacher who didn't just focus on STDs, contraception and the like - but discussed what a healthy relationship should entail, and the signs of an unhealthy relationship.

They were particularly helpful lessons as rural New Zealand can be a difficult place to develop into an adult. You play rugby? You're a king. You bang the girls and crush tins and you'll be praised for it. "Pressure's on boy, have you rooted her yet?". Everything was a competition and I bought into it wholeheartedly because I wanted to continue to be a part of it all. It was all I knew, and all I cared about - like the above linked comic.

Despite the helpfulness - it took me until my early 20s before I started treating women in the right manner (as y'know, actual people) - nearly a decade of sex-having where I saw it as a conquest rather than an experience.

Now there's a whole host of young guys at our gym, 16-19 years old. Most starting a new year off, trying to get jacked for the girls. I chat to them about training and we move into life topics, eventually one will ask how I know all the "hot sluts" at the gym.

My response is now "Well I don't call them sluts, that's my first bit of advice". The girls at the gym are friendly with me because they know I'm genuine and am actively not trying to sleep with them. I've introduced them to my girlfriend at the gym, I've helped them prepare for powerlifting competitions, practice lifting techniques and so on. My interest is their enjoyment of their sport and feeling comfortable in the gym, as they deserve to feel. Ogling them and referring to them as "hot sluts" is the exact opposite of what I want for them, and should be the opposite of what these young men want as well.

I can speak to these boys from experience because I used to do the exact same thing as them. But one-by-one I'm going to get these young men to come around earlier than I did.

Anyway it all has to start somewhere. So why not me? Why not now?

Seriously she made a big ol tray of it and said "This should get us through some of the week!"

I had polished most of it off that night. Poor dear, she's opened the gates and let her powerlifting partner in for a carb-coma.

Hah it exists! I did think it was suspicious how readily she put it all into the pan.. It was excellent.

Yep Rum for me just reminds me of my 18th, where my brother poured 2 beers down a funnel for me, and poured straight Bacardi in as a chaser. I don't remember the rest of the night but I've steered clear of Rum for all my years since. Since learned in different ways that Rum does not start and end at Bacardi, and that Bacardi was also not really the culprit of that night.

Foveaux  ·  186 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Now that we're all working from home...what does your setup look like?

My partner is using my PC and monitors as she needs two screens more than I need them, as handy as they are for me. So my work station is currently this via laptop.

Could be worse!

Foveaux  ·  305 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 27, 2019

My grandfather (the last of the grandparents) passed away last week. Honestly, I'm really thankful we had to cancel the Japan trip as it would have been three days in when he passed and I'd have been in another country once again when someone died in my family.

Spent the last week driving up and down the island to greet family and help plan the service. Funeral was on Monday, buried him yesterday. The service was actually excellent, he was a rather revered educator and community man so the place was packed 30 minutes before people were due to arrive. Hundreds attended, it was really touching. I got to speak, first time speaking at a funeral but as a senior grandchild I opted to start the proceedings for us. Everyone spoke beautifully and the celebrant said near the end "I've never been so thoroughly outclassed in public speaking like I have today" - my siblings and I are all well-versed public speaking champs, while my cousins are English and History teachers so we have a knack.

Importantly, there were a lot of laughs. Every speech was filled with funny memories and jokes, I got to make fun of my height (I inherited a lot of positive things, but my cousins are all over 6 ft while I am at 5ft 7) standing next to my statuesque family.

After the service we escaped to my aunt and uncles place for some drinks and the day washed away comfortably - it was a stellar day as you can see.

Been a weird couple of weeks but fingers crossed things can slow down a bit before Christmas. We had all said we would just gather where Grandad was but now we're a bit lost for plans.

As always, hope everyone is doing okay!

Foveaux  ·  191 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 18, 2020

So amidst this panic, my friend came round over the weekend with 10 different samples of whisky. We started with Famous Grouse and I hated it, barely finished my serving. On to Talisker, Mortlach, Monkey Shoulder, Islay Mist and Ardbeg. All of which I thoroughly enjoyed, particularly the Islay Mist and Ardbeg. We never got round to the Laphroaig but I hear good things, especially around pronouncing it after a few drinks.

I enjoyed it enough that I went out and bought myself a bottle of Islay Mist - it doubled as an anniversary present - 3 years with my lady as of St Patricks Day. She was trying the whisky's as well and her tastes mirrored mine.

Rugby has been cancelled for the foreseeable future, both club and professional setups. If my gym closes I'll be buying some dumbbells and doing whatever I can to maintain strength.

We've hit 20 known cases in New Zealand, and it's kind of endearing in a small-town way, that we can very accurately track the cases. One of our PhD students has a sister in London who has had the virus and is recovering so that was some interesting information to hear from said student.

I'm ready to work from home but the Ministry of Education is being quite steadfast in not letting University staff leave at the moment. They want us to have a face for the students and from the meeting I was in yesterday, one of their massive concerns alongside financial loss is the public losing faith in the institution. Either way, lemme do my job from home it'll be fine I promise - no whisky till like 5pm. OK 4pm.

Our PM has issued some strong thoughts on tourists arriving with no plans to self-isolate - could be looking at straight up deportation.

In non-COVID-19 news, abortion is set to officially be legal in New Zealand, finally.

Foveaux  ·  226 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 12, 2020

Last week we had a public holiday, Waitangi Day, so I took some further days off and had a nice 4 day weekend. I went to Christchurch to visit my brother and my partner's parents. Was such a lovely trip! My brother likes his hiking and long distance running, so he dragged me up into the Port Hills where I took this shot

The body of water is near Lyttleton harbour, on the other side of the Hills we climbed up. The city is well off to the left down the hills once more. The harbour exits into the Pacific.

We went to the latest installments of the Art Gallery

I found this tree! I used to play in this tree when I was a child growing up in this city. I remember the feel of the bark and the safe surroundings very well. A wonderful bit of nostalgia during my trip.

Now this is new. This is the Riverside Market, it opened up at the end of last year, in the main area where the city was demolished by the Earthquakes. We arrived at about 10am and it was dead quiet, but that photo was taken just after lunch and it was humming full of people. The Market was primarily indoors and hosted at least 50 different shops and eateries. Absolutely mindblowing to find it here! We had crepes in the morning, ramen for lunch on the tables in front, then went upstairs and had a few beers from the local brewery under one of those red umbrellas.

We visited the memorial erected for those lost in the earthquakes

It was really tastefully done, I felt. A simple wall just sitting by the lazy Avon river, people having lunch in it's shadow, or visiting the names of those they lost.

Just another photo - this is directly outside the City Council building. I've always admired the energy put out by the Maori carving work.

Afterwards we headed back to her parent's place and by night time her father had his telescope out and we had a look at the moon in startling clarity. Could make out the scars and craters all over.

I've become a 12 year old again and have been having an absolute blast playing Modern Warfare. I thought I was too old and crusty to be any good but my old friends who felt the same banded together and clean house most matches. Infected is a wonderful game mode - for the uninitiated, Infected is where all players started with the same equipment; a count down begins giving you time to run and hide or barricade yourself in somewhere. Once the countdown ends, a randomly chosen player switches sides and becomes the infected player, armed with a knife and greater movement speed - tasked with turning every other member over to their side. It quickly becomes an absolute mess as you find your team mates whittled down and switched over, suddenly you're holed up in a dingy building as these madmen clamber over your walls and claymores to end you. Or you hide in a bush and pray they don't get close enough to see your nametag.

Anyway I've been having fun. Hope you're all safe and sound.

Foveaux  ·  285 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what is your ideal for personal wealth?

2 Christmases ago, my family gathered in the small town of Lincoln, just out of Christchurch. My brother and his partner built a house there thanks to her savvy parents pointing them in all the right directions (now they're looking at building another and selling the original, very Kiwi-like).

My parents, my brother, my sister and I went out to this awesome restaurant in town called The Lab, it's a craft brewery crossed with a theatre crossed with a pizzeria. Rather cool.

Anyway we all went out for dinner, my sister had a 1 year old son being baby-sat and was stressed out of her mind, but she was able to join us and try and let her hair down a bit. We had drinks, ordered food, ordered more food, more drinks, just chatted and ate and laughed for almost 2 hours. Eventually the time came to pay and my parents each went for their wallets, but my brother and I zipped off to the front of house to get the bill. Couple hundred all up, a very nice night out for 5 people in rural New Zealand.

Get back to the table and mum and dad are just sort of sitting there quietly sharing a small smile between each other. We finished up and headed home, but recently dad opened up about that night - he asked if I remembered that dinner and I said "Of course, it was really nice pizza and I tried like 5 different beers". He said it was such a nice night for him and mum because they had this solid realization that they had raised nice children into nice adults. Seeing both their sons race each other to the counter so their parents and single-mother sister didn't have to spend anything, seeing their daughter handle being self-employed and a single-mother (that horrible duo) and still come out on top. They just realized "Shit, we did it. They're great people".

They aren't traditionally wealthy by any stretch, mum works 2 jobs some part of the year, and an extra one later one, dad is the custodian at a tiny school that is one of the saddest socio-economic areas I've ever seen in New Zealand. But man are they happy. They provided everything for us and we flourished and provide for everyone else in our lives. They got to watch it all come full circle and I think they feel extremely wealthy every time they get us all together.

So for me? Something like that. I don't know if I'll have kids but I think being able to provide for others and help them become good people in turn. Turns out I can do that right now, community service, donations, being there for friends who need assistance.

Money is great, but doing something useful with what I have to spare is where the fun hides.

Foveaux  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 3, 2020

This is why so much actual progress in academic situations is accomplished by walking up to someone unannounced and asking them for a decision or approval face to face - it knocks them out of their academic register and forces them into a managerial fight-or-flight situation.

This is how I handle the academics I work with, if I need their sign-off or a decision I just go to their office. If I email anything, they will either take weeks to respond or flat out ignore it. They don't appreciate me always dropping by but I always say "it's better than being ignored and having to clean up the mess you made by ignoring me".

Edit: My experience is that of administration of course, but your words certainly echoed that experience for me.

From an outsider looking in, I'd still be kind of surprised if he doesn't get a second term. I mean it'd be shithouse if he does, but I expect it to happen.

Foveaux  ·  206 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 4, 2020

New Zealand has three coronavirus cases, no lemon or lime.

Work has picked back up finally and all the students have come back to the city. On one hand it's great to see life breathed into the place, on the other hand by god do they make a mess. I walk down probably the most infamous street in New Zealand each morning, during the day it's calm but at night...

This was taken in 2009, I was in there... Somewhere.. as a fresh faced 18 year old. Things have carried on much the same every year. February hits, students flock back and Castle Street gets absolutely dealt to.

In other news, I attended the first meeting of the Craft Beer Club a few friends have created. Everyone was issued a style to bring, I was on "stouts". It was actually rather fun, everyone went really hard on getting things that were unique and a bit odd. Along with my stouts, I threw in a pickle flavoured beer to see if anyone would even try it and I nearly got kicked out of the group. The blueberry stout saved me and I live to drink another day.

Foveaux  ·  214 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Holy wack

I was born in a town of about 3000 people, and lived in a township of (I think) 125 out in rural South Otago. All through my teenage years we did the usual rural stuff - lighting stuff on fire, drinking and smoking, having sex at 14, hooning around the farms in paddock-bashers. Regular fucking idiots.

Then the end of high school came and half of our school year (30 people) went to Universities around the country. I went up the road no more than an hour yet I was fuckin' dead to everyone back home. I'd known them pretty much my entire life and we'd formed countless memories together but going back in the first mid-year break? Going to the pub was an ordeal because they wouldn't talk to me. I'd left the farming area and now I was a townie. Like suddenly I had forgotten how to shear a sheep and order the farm dogs.

They came around eventually, but there was some kind of betrayal they appeared to have felt in regards to people leaving their little nest. I'm on good terms with most people once more, but it took an effort to prove I wasn't a "townie" or more accurately, to prove that being a "townie" isn't a bad thing. Better weed, more things to do - just don't bring up the country vs town rugby 'rivarly' (if you can call country losing for the past 80 years a rivalry) and you're fine. One friend turns 31 this year, lives with his parents and refuses to get his license or a job. I'm not quite giving up on him, but boy we've run out of ideas.

Anyway I echo your thoughts, seeing how everyone reacted to me leaving reinforced my decision to do so. I was glad I left, I became a much more well-rounded person (eventually). I wouldn't give up the memories I made for anything, but I'm making new ones now and they're just as important.But man, 23! I went from being 21, drinking absinthe and racing down an icy street on a fridge door, to being 29 living with my partner and cat with our weekends spent gardening, watching movies or going to the beach. But I wanted this softer life after all the havoc I caused. I'm not peaked yet and I don't see that happening till my late 30s or early 40s if that.

You've not even come close to peaking!