We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
Existentialist's comments
Existentialist  ·  171 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Waymo/Alphabet/Google sues Uber for "trade secret misappropriation"

The timeline according to the article:

• May 2016: Anthony Levandowski founded the self-driving truck company "Otto" (although other sources report it was January)

• August 2016: Uber purchased Otto

• December 2016: Levandowski allegedly stole 14,000 files containing plans and technical specifications from Google's self-driving car company "Waymo"

• December 2016: A supplier that specializes in the components for LiDAR accidentally sent an attachment containing schematics of an Uber LiDAR circuit board to Waymo

• January 2017: Allegedly, Levandowski attended meetings with high-level executives at Uber

• January 2017: Levandowski left Waymo

• February 2017: Levandowski founded "Otto Trucking"

Which is kind of confusing. Waymo's version:

Recently, we received an unexpected email. One of our suppliers specializing in LiDAR components sent us an attachment (apparently inadvertently) of machine drawings of what was purported to be Uber’s LiDAR circuit board — except its design bore a striking resemblance to Waymo’s unique LiDAR design.

We found that six weeks before his resignation this former employee, Anthony Levandowski, downloaded over 14,000 highly confidential and proprietary design files for Waymo’s various hardware systems, including designs of Waymo’s LiDAR and circuit board. To gain access to Waymo’s design server, Mr. Levandowski searched for and installed specialized software onto his company-issued laptop. Once inside, he downloaded 9.7 GB of Waymo’s highly confidential files and trade secrets, including blueprints, design files and testing documentation. Then he connected an external drive to the laptop. Mr. Levandowski then wiped and reformatted the laptop in an attempt to erase forensic fingerprints.

Beyond Mr. Levandowki’s actions, we discovered that other former Waymo employees, now at Otto and Uber, downloaded additional highly confidential information pertaining to our custom-built LiDAR including supplier lists, manufacturing details and statements of work with highly technical information.

From the complaint:

In December 2015, Mr. Levandowski specifically searched for and then

installed specialized software onto his company-issued laptop in order to access the server that

stores these particular files. Once Mr. Levandowski accessed this server, he downloaded the

14,000 files, representing approximately 9.7 GB of highly confidential data. Then he attached an

external drive to the laptop for a period of eight hours. He installed a new operating system that

would have the effect of reformatting his laptop, attempting to erase any forensic fingerprints that

would show what he did with Waymo’s valuable LiDAR designs once they had been downloaded

to his computer. After Mr. Levandowski wiped this laptop, he only used it for a few minutes, and

then inexplicably never used it again.

They found out in December 2016 but the theft was December 2015.

Existentialist  ·  180 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: David Brooks finds a way to blame the children

This article is a desert for critical thinking.

Ah, I see you've never met Mr Brooks before.

So... No change, then?

Hey, thanks!

Snowden's response via Twitter:

Finally: irrefutable evidence that I never cooperated with Russian intel. No country trades away spies, as the rest would fear they're next.
user-inactivated  ·  191 days ago  ·  link  ·

That why he fled to Russia?

Existentialist  ·  195 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Elon Musk stand with his choice to stay on Trump's Business advisory board

I hope he stays. Trump needs some advisors who have interests that aren't wholly self-serving. Unfortunately, it seems a very vocal mass of people believe you can only be an advisor to the president if you agree with the president...

Uber's Travis Kalanick had to leave the advisory panel for this reason:

“Joining the group was not meant to be an endorsement of the president or his agenda but unfortunately it has been misinterpreted to be exactly that,” Mr Kalanick told staff in a memo announcing he was stepping down.

...

Mr Kalanick bemoaned what he called a “perception-reality gap”.

Although he said he didn’t support President Trump’s immigration policy, people thought he did. And that’s what mattered most.

user-inactivated  ·  194 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you for stating that. I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

Existentialist  ·  198 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Arkansas passes law allowing rapists to sue victims who want an abortion

Generally, I believe, states have other law such that make it illegal to go to another state with the intention of doing something that is illegal in your home state.

xygarde  ·  197 days ago  ·  link  ·

The situation all around fucked up then. I was hoping that at the very least there was a pragmatic solution until the legislation was revoked. Something like how Irishwomen travel to Britain for the procedure :|

Does this also extend to going overseas? I would imagine that if it were posited as a human rights or corruption regulation it would, but IDK if that is the case.

Existentialist  ·  200 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fuck! I can't even go to The Japan Times to escape news about Trump.

Well, of course - he's president of the USA now. He's an important person whether we like it or not. You could have said the same about Obama while he was still president.

rd95  ·  199 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would love to see actual numbers comparing articles referencing Trump and articles referencing Obama. I feel like I run across Trump so much more frequently. If I'm in the business section, there he is. Technology? Environment? The arts? Trump. Trump. Trump. In comparison, it seemed like I only saw Obama in politics and national news sections unless something big happens.

user-inactivated  ·  199 days ago  ·  link  ·

Probably because Obama is a reasonable, mature politician who was never surrounded with such cloud of dust because he never fucked up so badly.

EDIT: Actually... I don't mean to sound like a smart-ass douche. I get it, man. I'm tired of that orange-in-change, too. I guess I'm not getting the brunt of it all, living outside of the US.

While I was at home with chickenpox, my father was watching the TV constantly, him being out of job, and I listened to what they've been saying for at least the first two weeks, myself unable to do anything else. "Trump's been unreasonably attacked" was a defence I heard that stuck, but there were many more. His blasting of a journalist with "No, I'm not gonna answer to your question. You're fake news!" was talked about as heroic self-defence against the evil media... by a news reporter.

Maybe you should leave it for a while. Have a breath of fresh air without the news. Do something you enjoy and spend time with people you love. Anger about something not about to change will bring nothing but chaos to your soul. Trump's the President, and it's definitely something you want to do something about, but for now... I say breathe. Bad things are happening. Good things are happening. Don't forget about those latter ones.

Existentialist  ·  204 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who do you trust? Your Doctor or Your Psychic? - Conversation with My Sister

A friend? Wow. I feel that makes it worse. I can understand lying to strangers for the sake of your job, but I could never do something like that to a friend...

Have you met this psychic friend? Do they seem delusional? Do you think they believe they are psychic?

Existentialist  ·  205 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who do you trust? Your Doctor or Your Psychic? - Conversation with My Sister

It's complicated, because of the placebo effect.

When it comes to psychics (or are you talking about acupuncture?), it isn't so much a placebo effect as it is the psychic making very broad, generalized statements that could be applied to near anyone or any situation.

lil  ·  205 days ago  ·  link  ·

In the story the psychic is one person - a friend, who doesn't charge. The acupuncturist is another person that my sister has been seeing for a long time. She uses all kinds of Chinese medicine.

Existentialist  ·  204 days ago  ·  link  ·

Makes me think of this:

Japan fortune teller 'ordered to pay' client forced into prostitution

bioemerl, also relevant to what you we're saying.

Honestly, it was a bit of both.

Trump's been in office for only five days and already he's making the world better!

I'm going to interpret that as optimism rather than sarcasm and attempt to emulate it with all my will.

JTHipster  ·  207 days ago  ·  link  ·

Here's a fun thought. When the wall fails in the next 4 years because it was always a stupid idea and it goes over large ranches, and it has to be paid for by taxes, it'll be one hell of a site to vandalize.

bfv  ·  207 days ago  ·  link  ·

No need to wait for the wall, Trump has real estate all over the world. This administration is vandals' time to shine.

Existentialist  ·  207 days ago  ·  link  ·

Honestly, it was a bit of both.

rd95  ·  208 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hopefully this is the type of adversity and hardship that fosters growth and maturity for everyone involved. This might be another step to understanding that sometimes in order to have meaningful change in the world, you first have meaningful change in your heart and mind and the discipline to actually put that change into meaningful actions.

Existentialist  ·  208 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Trump's Staff Is Lying

I really think Trump's pouty because his ego was hurt. I don't think there's anything else to it.

Existentialist  ·  214 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Superintelligence: The Idea That Eats Smart People

The Idea That Eats Smart People