We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
Existentialist's comments
Existentialist  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 210th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

This song's been stuck in my head:

Existentialist  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 11, 2016

!!!

Where did you get that? And if you don't mind my asking, how much was it?

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

There are some benefits to seeing someone who owns their own thrift store.

On eBay they seem to go for $50 - $100 depending on the condition. Bell & Howell Autoload 1545 is the model shown in the picture.

Existentialist  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why men don't jobs done mostly by women

*Why Men Don’t Want the Jobs Done Mostly by Women

Existentialist  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Real Name Fallacy

... people are actually more sensitive to group norms when they are less identifiable to others [11].

That's interesting, but not very surprising. If you think about any popular social media site, they all have unique "cultures" about them. These "cultures" are only identifiable because majority of active users will conform to them. 4chan, as a site that provides extensive anonymity, has users who adhere to a very particular and strict culture. New, interested users often try and struggle to understand the rules of that culture.

Of course, that's just one example.

Existentialist  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: BUILD THE WALL BUILD THE WALL BUILD THE WALL

He's learning humility in his role as president-elect. It used to be Trump Wall, now it's the more modest Great Wall.

Existentialist  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mystery cosmic radio bursts pinpointed

Probably.

rd95  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

The OG "Day the Earth Stood Still" is on Netflix now. I should probably watch that.

...you haven't seen it yet? Considering your nostalgic bent, and considering that it's possibly one of the purest sci fi movies ever made, you should watch it ASAP. It's one of Robert Wise's finest, as well as one of his earliest; his last movie was Star Trek The Motion Picture.

rd95  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

To get back some cred, about 10 years ago I saw Metropolis and while I don't remember much of it, I found it absolutely mesmerizing at the time. Earth has always been a distant ping on my radar, like "I'll get to it someday, maybe." Knowing Netflix, I really should watch it ASAP. I was excited as hell when I saw Battleship Potemkin was on their streaming service, never got around to watching it, and now it's disappeared.

I'm just going to say it isn't entirely fair to compare foreign silent blockbusters with a cheap little b-movie from 1951. Day is in black'n'white 'cuz it's cheap not because it's crazy old. It's only two years older than War of the Worlds.

rd95  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh yes. I'm aware they're two different kinds of movies. Though, to defend Earth, sometimes cheapness and camp ads an extra layer of charm to a film. There's a fine line and it's hard to tell where it's drawn, but it's definitely there. Since it's 60+ years later and people still talk about it, I bet Earth is on the right side of that line.

You do not need to defend Day the Earth Stood Still from me. I've never made it through Metropolis but I own DTESS.

rd95  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Metropolis is on Netflix right now if you feel like giving it a second go. It's totally understandable if you don't want to though. Sometimes it seems that despite their charms, silent films take a bit of extra effort to watch.

The Day the Earth Stood Still was pretty good. It didn't feel cheap at all and it was kind of refreshing that the movie gets straight to the point without a lot of buildup, though on the flip side, that ending was abrupt as hell. It's kind of interesting as well that it's a very plot driven movie, and while a lot happens, and what happens is significant, it didn't really feel all that profound. It seems like there were quite a few times where they seemed more than ready to jump into some philosophical aspects, only to just scratch the surface and leave the viewer hanging a bit.

All in all though, it was pretty good. I might see if some of my friends would want to watch it with me.

It's based on a short story called Farewell to the Master which was effectively rewritten to build a metaphor around nuclear armageddon following the first Soviet tests. It wasn't made for a lot of money and it wasn't made in a lot of time; Wise deliberately chose actors that no one had ever heard of so that there would be no associations with existing stars.

Link vaguely related.

Sony wants me to watch Passengers. They gave me a screener. I haven't worked up the energy and it's been a week.

rd95  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

I just looked at the trailer for Passengers. It looks stupid.

Might I recommend two other movies, both on Netflix, that I found were quite good?

Flame and Citron is a wonderful spy/thriller/war movie. It's dark, compelling, and probably a bit formulaic but has a really good story at its core.

Dark Valley is just amazing. It's dark and messed up, but it's beautifully shot and paced.

It looks like the first 30 pages of Richard K Morgan's Thirt33n, published (and optioned) that same year. But then, Thirt33n then goes on for another 400 or so pages and becomes kind of interesting.

'round here we're dealing with the flu by reacquainting ourselves with base building in No Man's Sky.

rd95  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hmm. I can't seem to find that book. Could it be under a different title? I'd like to look up the synopsis and see how it's different.

Never mind. I think I found it.

OftenBen  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Passengers.

I read a synopsis and it killed any desire I had to watch the movie. If you get around to it, I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

It's a famous [Black List](zhttps://blcklst.com/) script - those being the spec screenplays that are passed around town and read but, back when the list started, never purchased for one reason or another. Now of course it's just another cock-sucking way for managers to brag about what a great job they're doing getting their client's names out there (so they can do one partial-pay doctoring step on the eighth remake of Lost in Space or some shit). Passengers was a big deal in 2007. Nine years ain't bad... but in the end, this is the bastardized story that made the guy who fucked up Prometheus with Damon Lindelof famous.

As with most famous spec scripts that suddenly end up with a bajillion dollars behind them, it ends up being a different movie entirely.

rd95  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

I literally just started it. I'll report back in about an hour and a half. :)

I think you mean "... cutting all ties with Russia."

ThatFanficGuy  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

I did. Fixed. Thanks.

Yeah, if the title isn't clear, it means the reactor is 22 years old, not that it's 250 days old and meant to live for another 22 years.

Existentialist  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 206th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

This song has been stuck in my head. It's from a Netflix Original Series called Hibana (Spark).

(Sorry, couldn't find it on YouTube)

Existentialist  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: LIVE POLL : Do you think Trump's Taiwan call was a good or a bad thing?

Was [it] a good or a bad thing?

Sounds exactly like something a child would ask. I think it's far more complicated than being merely 'good or bad'.

Existentialist  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Your Cashmere Sweater Is Decimating Mongolia's Grasslands

My sweater is relentless when it comes to the amount of grass it eats.

Existentialist  ·  39 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Feathered dinosaur tail found trapped in amber

You sound like my boss.

Existentialist  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Caesarean births 'affecting human evolution'

I don't think the article suggested that humans stopped evolving. Just that c-sections are causing potentially negative change.

OftenBen  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·

The article didn't mention it, but it's a commonly held belief that evolution is no longer acting Homo Sapiens because almost everybody is having kids.

Existentialist  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Caesarean births 'affecting human evolution'

Seems a bit obvious if you ask me.

It gets tricky crying "evolution" when you're talking about three, four generations tops. I understand and appreciate their caution.

Steve Huffman is libertarian like China is democratic.