Devac's comments
Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 20, 2018

Done with defences and moved out. Other than that, I'm at a pleasant level of busyness without feeling frantic, possibly because I slept most of the weekend and it helped. Plus I have three job interviews. One on Friday and two next week. I'm kinda giddy about it despite all the salt from last year.

Though, I'm even more excited about what will happen this weekend: GMing my Cyberpunk 2020 game! Party roster: two solos, techie/MD, netrunner and a crooked cop. Plan for the opening session: escape from a prison transport. They start with no equipment, weapons or active contacts above what they'll get/establish during the adventure. Most of their non-vital cybernetics are disabled/locked/taken away (depending on legality codes). They'll figure it out, I'm sure of it. Plus it's a good kind of cliche with clear objectives. Escape, reactivate/obtain gear and disappear.

Devac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This Quantum Theory Predicts That The Future Might Be Influencing The Past

I know. It was even mentioned, like, two posts above.

tacocat  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Then I guess I discovered a flaw in hubski in that you can find comments in People and Chatter to reply to without larger context

Eh. I have to be already pissed off about something else to be really bothered by pseudoscience being close to mainstream at times.

Also, while alchemy itself is basically dead, it's influence carried over in aspects of astrology, hermetic traditions (possibly including Wicca?), alternative medicine and various spiritualists things. Those already have a following, tend to stretch and misunderstand legit science. Face it, you can't eradicate something that offers easy answers and gives you an excuse to wear a cape or cloak.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This Quantum Theory Predicts That The Future Might Be Influencing The Past

Alchemists contributed to science and I read somewhere that a lot of their mysticism or metaphorical language was a result of secrecy. But they operated under a flawed paradigm. Alchemy was big on the idea of using a small portion of something (usually gold) as a seed which would take surrounding matter and transform it into the desired material (usually gold :P). Like a seed turning air, water and soil into a plant because it's a seed and that's the end of that. With enough metaphor behind it, it's true. But it doesn't answer any "why?".

Do you know about the tin pest? If not, it's the type of tin that comes to be from normal tin exposed to low temperatures. It possesses a fascinating property: if you put even a tiny bit of tin pest on a brick of white tin, all of it will slowly turn into the pest form. Also, heat could revert the process. It wasn't insane to think there could be such seeds for other materials.

Alchemy had its time. Reimagining it with modern science isn't likely (or IMO possible), even though all the lingo physicists use could make you think they strive for the same secrecy alchemists wanted. ;)

tacocat  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·
Devac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I know. It was even mentioned, like, two posts above.

tacocat  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Reimagining it with modern science isn't likely (or IMO possible)

If, one day, you'll find a prominent neo-alchemist theory enjoying a following online... I'm so terribly sorry.

Devac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

Cool! If you don't mind a recommendation on numeric integration, here is a list of papers by professor Trefethen. YMMV, but I think they are well written and ranging from mildly interesting to "this offhand comment just explained my problem!"

Devac  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

Recently I have been refreshing/relearning some dynamic-system modeling and controls and playing with some data visualization stuff in jupyter notebooks. It's one place where a 'hobby' and 'might someday be useful at work or somewhere' overlap.

I hate to break it to you like that, but it sounds like both drive and smarts. Also, what are you modelling?

ThurberMingus  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

It feels more like temporary fascination than drive, but I'm going to run with it.

I've just been modeling springs and dampers and orbiting bodies, the kinds of stuff that shows up in examples mostly. And with those I have been digging into numeric integration methods and trying to implement those for myself.

Devac  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Aski Hubski: Botox

Don't worry about Morlocks. The only dwellers below are neckbeards and those don't breed. ;)

Devac  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

BSc as of yesterday and, hopefully, BScĀ² on Friday.

During my physics defence, one of the examiners noticed that I was getting progressively more nervous and cracked a joke to help me loosen up. Suffices to say that it did its job. It was so corny that even everyone else sitting on the examination committee started laughing. The man's a saint.

Now I need to compile stuff for grad school admissions, research scholarships, update my resume and focus on job searching. Still hoping for that metrologist position I mentioned last month, even though it seems like one of those "non-engineers need not apply" things.

I'm also considering applying for a third degree, either in chemistry or materials science. Course-wise it's nowhere near as insane as I thought it would be and I've been delving into that rabbit hole for over a year on my own anyway. But it's all speculative, hinging on things like my finances, time management and, hopefully, part-time employment. Those concerns, unfortunately, outrank any academic plans beyond 'finish grad school' I could have for myself. I might need to settle on taking one or two labs and some courses from the second year if anything at all. I guess that's one approach to adulting.

But yeah, my next few weeks are going to be about coordinating something like twelve+ big-ish things in parallel, two of which happening/about to happen thanks to galen and kleinbl00. Another one of them is moving in with one of my friends next week. It's his idea as he was looking for a flatmate since at least February without much luck. Everything to leave this place behind. Good riddance.

At least I now have two games to look forward. Cyberpunk 2020 that I'll be GMing and the continuation of 'no casters allowed' D&D campaign prepared by the abovementioned friend.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

BSc as of yesterday and, hopefully, BScĀ² on Friday.

Holy shit, dude! Congratulations!!

I'm jealous.

Devac  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Aski Hubski: Botox

Here:

God that was only like four months.

I talk about the Schwartzchild Radius of my life in LA - how time dilates ridiculously and I lose all sense of perspective. But I've been beyond the event horizon since fuckin' January and by the time I make it back out the Morlocks might be running things for all I know...

Devac  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sorry, this comment is private.
Devac  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

I mean, humorous they may be, but there's no such thing as a useless item. It applies as much to players as the GM. Here's a basic overview of how those went on my sessions:

The Lute of Invisibility is a perfect utility for bards of all levels to help use their songs during combat. Also, as I quickly found out, dramatic entrances. ooli

The Wig of Persecution was a plot item, evidence in a murder mystery where the court adviser was found dead wearing it.

My players used the Axe of Grindness as a distraction when they were captured by a bunch of bandits. They argued that it's damn hard to sharpen an axe in the forest and it should give our rogues enough time to 'take 20' while their guard was preoccupied.

Aside from being a 1/day fireball, The Book of Canon is basically a low-level bardic knowledge substitute that anyone literate can use. I dropped many a hint to my players with it.

Merlin  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

100% agree with you. I already have some ideas Brewing the Book of Canon!

Sorry, this comment is private.
Devac  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Give me an adventure!

I have a bunch of whimsical items that could potentially serve as plot-hooks:

The Wig of Persecution

The person wearing it suffers a -1 penalty to AC on account of being persecuted. Otherwise, it looks like a proper barrister's wig; possibly to make the item's name more confusing.

The Book of Canon

A finely crafted book about local legends and fandom disputes. Once a day the book can be transformed into a cannon (treat it as fireball spell cast by a 6th-level spellcaster).

Belt of lint pockets

It's a belt with many pockets which can be used like normal pockets. However, you can always find a pinch of lint inside of those. Lint can be used as a substitute for worthless of cheap (6 copper maximum) spell components.

Lute of invisibility

Sustains the effect of invisibility spell as cast by a 4th level spellcaster for as long as you play the lute. Everyone can still hear you loud and clear.

Axe of Grindness

It looks dull and in a dire need of grinding to everyone looking at it. Onlookers inspecting it closely (i.e. perform either an evaluate, UMD, search or spot check) feels compelled to grind it. That's it. The DM has always been such a dickish smartass. You should punch him.

EDIT: Just as a bit of background, I rarely GM humorous/gag scenarios, but even a serious campaign can use a bit of levity. One of my players was actually very fond of the Belt of Lint Pockets because it was so incredibly convenient.

ooli  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Lute of invisibility sound so fun to play. Must make for great session

Merlin  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is great Haha love it! Thank you! I'll definitely be stealing some of these. I too normally run a bit more of a serious game but that just make the gags all the funnier.

Devac  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Merlin  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

100% agree with you. I already have some ideas Brewing the Book of Canon!