We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
Devac's comments
Devac  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ads Don't Work That Way

Deodorant is also a private product, but advertised widely.

I guess that the author's rebuttal would be "but it's shown to you by happy people who don't smell as bad as you. Would you like to stink in a social gathering next to a grill?" :P

Again, I liked the idea he got. Hell, I'm now mildly interested about how ads work and I can't say that I was inclined to research the topic in more depth than "so how do I optimise uBlock better?" That's something.

Devac  ·  17 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

Repairs:

I repaired a washing machine! Can't believe how easy it was to pinpoint problems once I decomposed it completely. All the gaskets/seals got replaced, gunk and lime removed from everything, and this thing works as new. It's likely that the bulk of my work wasn't necessary, but what the hell. It works.

Chess:

Last week I won, this week I was a million miles away and blundered myself into a draw. It is usually the point in any given tournament when I start losing every other game. Still, so far I'm 5.5 out of 6 and ranked as fifth overall. I guess that's something. As long as this tournament will not end with me being 5.5 out of 11, I'm OK with that.

Lectures:

I'm preparing slides and other stuff for my first uni-approved lecture. It's about determining the number of possible platonic solids and Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra.

Timing everything is difficult. I have no idea how actual lecturers are doing it. Right now, it feels to me that I was getting much better results by winging it as I go and will likely do just that.

Schemes:

A few months ago I mentioned that there are some loopholes in regulations regarding our graduation requirements. You see, a lot of the courses from mathematical/theoretical physics count toward applied mathematics programme and vice versa. It includes grad-level courses I took/am taking! Apparently, it works as intended.

Assuming that I'll play it well, I might be able to get two masters degrees in less than two years from now. Worth a try.

steve  ·  5 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I repaired a washing machine!

Well done!

I find very few things as rewarding as diagnosing a problem, troubleshooting the source, and repairing it with my own hands.

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Unused 1997 McLaren F1 goes up for sale, could shatter price record

Twenty years. Stop ageing people! :P

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

the day I'm having

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ads Don't Work That Way

Before seeing the ad, the product wasn't worth very much to us, but after seeing the ad, we find ourselves wanting to buy it (and at a premium, no less). The problem is that there's no escape, no immunity, from this kind of ad. Once we see it — and know that all our peers have seen it too — it's in our rational self-interest to buy the advertised product.

Sure, why not? All the cool kids are doing it.

It's not a bad article. I actually liked it. But I am unconvinced about the author's point. Especially after his use of the bedsheet example, which feels to contradict its own point. There is no way to avoid advertising influence unless the product isn't likely to come up in a conversation or during any social gathering. Then it doesn't matter what you buy or if it was even advertised. But everything else is, like, totally done via cultural imprinting mechanism. You need a bit more to do a proof by contradiction. The only thing showed here is that there might be things that aren't explained by the proposed mechanism.

Or did I got it completely wrong?

wasoxygen  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I think you're on the right track, but it's hard to prove anything. Deodorant is also a private product, but advertised widely.

It would be interesting to see what sectors spend more on advertising compared to the "size of the market" but I don't know if that would be total revenue or total profit. Automobile brands advertise heavily but gasoline brands are almost invisible.

The other night I saw a Mercedes driving up. It was easy to spot because the famous logo was illuminated. I figured it was a tacky aftermarket accessory, but it's a $480 manufacturer option.

Devac  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Deodorant is also a private product, but advertised widely.

Devac  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are you scared of?

People in general. Some time ago I would say 'crowds', but they aren't as bad as people can get in person.

I'm also terrified of (being a|dealing with) failure.

kyrvin  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm right there with you. I went to a music festival a few weeks ago and never once felt uncomfortable. I was even able to talk/hang with people without any problem (probably because I knew I would never see them again). But then I go back to work and school I'm terrified of everyone around me. I think I'm more afraid of how others perceive me than of other people in general. Being around coworkers and classmates on a daily basis gives them ample time to develop an opinion of me, but being at a music festival for a few days doesn't really give anyone time to truly learn about the other person.

Devac  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hurricane Ophelia is headed for...Ireland

Thanks! Also: d'oh! It didn't occur to me to make one myself.

hurricane

Those are actually tornadoes and waterspouts. I'd expect the 2017 value to rise over the Autumn, though.

raisin  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the correction! And yeah, the 2017 number seems low, but the year is far from over.

Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hurricane Ophelia is headed for...Ireland

2004 (382)

2014 (762):

2015 (506):

2016 (634):

2017 (395 counts):

Seems legit.

raisin  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Realized I was going back and forth trying to see how the numbers changed throughout the years, so I made a little hurricane count graph:

Devac  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! Also: d'oh! It didn't occur to me to make one myself.

hurricane

raisin  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Universal Paperclips

You might as well do stuff like this in JS console:

function helper () {

funds *= 1000;

unusedClips *= 1000;

clips *= 1000;

yomi += 1; yomi *= 1000;

creativity += 1; creativity *= 1000;

}

and call helper() from JS console every time you need it. All of those variables can be modified without triggering any cheat flags or other such things.

Devac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Universal Paperclips

You can use dev commands in JS console to skip the waiting. Once you'll open the source you'll see those things commented out.

<button id ="save1Button" onclick="save1()">SAVE SLOT 1</button>

<button id ="load1Button" onclick="load1()">LOAD SLOT 1</button><br />

<button id ="save2Button" onclick="save2()">SAVE SLOT 2</button>

<button id ="load2Button" onclick="load2()">LOAD SLOT 2</button><br />

<button id ="resetButton" onclick="reset()">RESET ALL PROGRESS</button><br />

<button id ="freeClipsButton" onclick="cheatClips()">Free Clips</button><br />

<button id ="freeMoneyButton" onclick="cheatMoney()">Free Money</button><br />

<button id ="freeTrustButton" onclick="cheatTrust()">Free Trust</button><br />

<button id ="freeOpsButton" onclick="cheatOps()">Free Ops</button><br />

<button id ="freeCreatButton" onclick="cheatCreat()">Free Creativity</button><br />

<button id ="freeYomiButton" onclick="cheatYomi()">Free Yomi</button><br />

<button id ="resetPrestige" onclick="resetPrestige()">Reset Prestige</button><br/>

<button id ="destroyAllHumansButton" onclick="cheatHypno()">Destroy all Humans</button><br />

<button id ="freePrestigeU" onclick="cheatPrestigeU()">Free Prestige U</button>

<button id ="freePrestigeS" onclick="cheatPrestigeS()">Free Prestige S</button>

<button id ="debugBattleNumbers" onclick="setB()">Set Battle Number 1 to 7</button><br />

<button id ="availMatterZero" onclick="zeroMatter()">Set Avail Matter to 0</button><br />

Use the sourcery to your advantage! :P

wasoxygen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey, thanks. The cheatTrust() function seems a bit unprincipled, but looking at the source satisfied my curiosity about the alternative paths without having to make any more of those paperclips.

WanderingEng  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can directly set a whole variety of variables. I didn't cheat trust, I just changed it directly.

var maxTrust = 50;
Devac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

You might as well do stuff like this in JS console:

function helper () {

funds *= 1000;

unusedClips *= 1000;

clips *= 1000;

yomi += 1; yomi *= 1000;

creativity += 1; creativity *= 1000;

}

steve  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

There was an AI made of dust, whose poetry gained it man's trust...
Devac  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 11, 2017

Thank you. I confronted her today. While in the end I got some answers and it seemed to clear some air between us, it wasn't pretty. It has been a while since I had a shouting match in German, but it always indicates that my mother actually listens. At least I hope that I got through to her.

As far as my brother is concerned, he's scheduled for surgery on the 15th of January and it stands unless his state would worsen severely. That's the most important thing. Whatever caused the aberration in his most recent results are (almost certainly, they are still looking into it) small potatoes compared to things that could 'disqualify' him. I'm talking about things like (acute) inflammation of the liver or increased intracranial pressure.

I still have to think it all over and sleep on it, but I figured that you (singular and plural alike) deserve an update.

Devac  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 11, 2017

Thank you, both for information and wishes.

I have a deal with my brother. We avoid talking about health. It goes both ways. I don't like to discuss my own and vice versa. He's his usual self though - witty, peppy and annoyingly smart. Though, knowing him, he likely just glanced at his results and shrugged.

As far as getting information from my parents is concerned, it's not that far from ordinary. Especially when it's a sensitive topic. There are more things we share nonverbally than otherwise, this isn't an exception. What pisses me off is the fact that my mother is a friggin' infectious diseases specialist! If there's anyone around whom I would trust about diagnosis, speculation or insight in this particular case, then it's her. But alas, she can't give me a straight answer which in this case I can only interpret as vague confirmation. I'll likely get confirmation in a matter of few days either way. It's the waiting that gets to me.

I would say that we aren't a normal family, but I've seen weirder. ;)

My brother's results got worrying. High CRP and ESR, low platelet count. So far there's nothing else that could indicate infection (or, I'll just say it: sepsis), but I don't know how it works in people after chemo. My guess would be that if anything, it should progress at an accelerated rate but that's 'hard speculation' on my part. Nobody said anything about surgery, so I'm guessing it'll have to wait for a while. I mean, it's understandable. No surgeon wants a patient with impaired clotting potential.

You wouldn't believe the ways my mother evades any questions I ask. Half of the above is what I managed to infer from three separate conversations, one of which was with my brother. Thank goodness I started to record those chats so now I can trace when she slips.

Maths/Monday:

What's the point of having an option to propose your own topic for diploma project if there's no-one who even bothers to finish reading about your idea? Over two months spent on dealing with this bullshit and nothing to show for it. Screw it, give me the list - let the RNG decide.

14: Methods of averaging in nonlinear evolutionary models.

(AKA Much ado about Hille-Yosida theorem)

Awesome. I can work with that. I finally got myself a topic! Adviser seems great and now it only needs the dean's signature to be official.

It was so much easier than trying to be original. I can't find words to express how frustrating were my previous attempts.

INTERVENTION TIME

This is your family. You guys aren't being honest with each other. You've reached the point where you're performing intelligence analysis, not sharing family news. Once you're on a distrustful footing, you will continue looking for reasons to distrust your mother and your brother. This is not a road you want to go down, particularly when health is on the line.

Tell your mother "I've taken to writing down our conversations and cross-referencing them because I think you're hiding stuff from me. Even if you think you're being completely honest, I need you to do whatever you can to convince me you're being completely honest because I don't like being in this position."

Or words to that effect.

You guys are going through some shit. You need to go through it together.

Devac  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

ghostoffuffle  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hedz up: elevated CRP and ESR are considered nonspecific indicators of inflammation, not necessarily infection. There are better indicators of sepsis, i.e. WBC count and lactic levels. High ESR/CRP and low PLT post chemo may both be expected depending on the agent used. Hope your brother is okay.

Devac  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you, both for information and wishes.

weewooweewoo  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's rough that you have to piece together your brother's results. I don't know anything about it, but I imagine it might be best to ask him how he's doing yourself, I feel as though the information over how he's doing is something he'd like control over.

Devac  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would say that we aren't a normal family, but I've seen weirder. ;)

Devac  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Designing tabletop games with open source

LaTeX (dedicated editors: TeXstudio, Lyx or Texmaker) is also worth recommending. I had some serious workflow problems with Scribus and, while LaTeX isn't without its faults, it's a good alternative.

Plus it can automate a lot, so there's that.

Devac  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Physicists find we're not living in a computer simulation

Sorry for stalling, I needed some time to get through that Hastings paper. Just to let you know, from what I understood, your interpretation is correct. Do keep in mind that for all my chops I'm an undergrad. I'm still stuck at one difficult place of OP article and don't feel ashamed admitting it.

lm  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you're stuck in just one place you're doing better than I am!