Devac's comments
Devac  ·  23 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What food could you eat the most of?

Baked beans, pizza and grilled cheese. Any day, any quantity. I've recently found a way to make hummus to my liking, but it feels like a phase.

Dala  ·  23 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I made rd95 make us grilled cheese for dinner. They were so buttery and delicious.

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sam Altman: E Pur Si Muove

It's a thing on Sicily. I ordered a large pizza and got something that was a bit over a meter in diameter.

Best family vacation ever.

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

That sounds positively magical.

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Eastern Europeans Tire of Being Sold Inferior Products

Do you know if that holds true for other Eastern European countries?

I suspect it holds true but would have to do some research in order to make my answer anything better than an annoyed guess. I'll try to look it up over the weekend, but don't promise anything.

Could it be because of the import taxes in Poland?

Maybe? Same as for the first question. In the meantime: here's the best reference database compiled by Polish government that I could find.

And yes, it's pronounced exactly like Ishtar. The contrivance of the acronym and its full form suggests it was a deliberate choice.

It's interesting, then, that such a sentiment is being expressed in a German newspaper, in English.

Heh. And some of the shit they write about Poland in German tends to border on slander. Journalism is far from being perfect or informed. Fact that it's German doesn't make it any better.

I don't know about the "worse quality", but it tends to be more expensive. It was cheaper for me to buy a bunch of computer parts in Germany and get back than getting them locally, so there's that. Same goes for used cars. Some of the medications are a lot (I'm talking up to 70% in my case) cheaper when bought online from the Czech Republic, but it doesn't hold in general.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

In the US, Gray market goods are exceedingly common. B&H Photo Video will actually give you a choice of buying gray market goods on their website. Fundamentally, this is a company buying stuff out of one market and selling it in another.

My wife asked me why on earth you could buy a DVD on Amazon in the United States that won't play on a DVD player bought on Amazon in the United States. I had to say "because the consumer electronics industry and the entertainment industry colluded to support windowing at the direct expense of consumers worldwide."

What's really stupid is these sorts of policies tend to punish the unresourceful. I had a region-free DVD player in college. It even had an HD15 out so I could plug it into my 100lb 3-eyed monster. You didn't need much of an Internet to buy DVD players out of China, even back when Clinton was president.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Do you know if that holds true for other Eastern European countries? Could it be because of the import taxes in Poland?

I'm not trying to oppose you here. I find the situation appalling but would like to know more before I say something.

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I haven't lived over there for more than a decade, but I purchased all my electronics and musical gear outside Hungary to avoid paying a 50% - 500% markup.

The Apple laptop I bought visiting my family in Seattle was $1500. In Hungary it would have been $3500.

The bass guitar I had made for me in Dublin was 1200EUR. It was cheaper for me and my girlfriend to fly to Dublin for the weekend, pay for and pick up the guitar, and fly home to Budapest, than it was for me to get a similar instrument in Hungary.

At every level, this played out the same way for electronics and "finished" goods.

But I bought all my produce, meat, sparkling water, and other foodstuffs directly from local farmers at the markets, as I walked home from work each day. Lunch meat, cheese, sausage, beer, fruit and vegetables... everything I ate was pretty much local.

Dunno what it is like today, but I hear it is just as expensive as western europe for everything, now.

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Do you know if that holds true for other Eastern European countries?

Could it be because of the import taxes in Poland?

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Post with 0 comments shows a user as top commenter

Can confirm, I mentioned the same bug a while ago. It happens when there's an unpublished draft.

mk  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks FirebrandRoaring and D. Should be fixed.

Some more bug upkeep to follow.

No way. West shitting on that region? Such an unprecedented turn of events! It's almost like, well, almost entirety of history. That's why I'm not surprised. There were numerous articles like that one in the Polish press, but they were stemming from the place of butthurt and I doubt any of those are available in English.

Though, it would explain why I can make better detergents at home than what I can buy. Food isn't much of a concern for me because I avoid stuff with added sugar (read: most things) and make almost everything myself from raw ingredients. Believe it or not, but it saves time and money.

Please, don't make me regret responding to a politics/economics thread. I don't give a rat's arse either way but will respond in kind.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It's surprising to me that they're cheaping out on Nutella. I mean, the spendy part is the hazelnuts... and qualitatively, most people would argue the difference between "good nutella" and "bad nutella" is how much sugar is in it.

There was a similar article in the Wall Street Journal this morning talking about how every individual country in the EU has a bunch of barriers to trade based on standards. Wanna sell that Polish plumbing fixture in Germany? Test it for impurities to the tune of $70k each. Germans wanna sell that plumbing fixture in Germany? It's fine, it's domestic.

I have absolutely no idea of Poland has lower standards for, say, detergent than Germany does. I do know that if Poland's standards were higher than German standards, the Germans probably wouldn't sell in Poland.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Are there any others ways such an attitude is affecting Eastern Europe? Worse quality electronics being imported or something similar?

amanwholisten  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Shitty electronics are more ubiquitous. There was only one bpa-free blender in rather large shop, other products looked, smelled and felt like toxic.

The bananas lately have a blue hue and taste a little strange, less like banana and more like stiff rot.

Apples are a disgrace. I avoid imported polish, Dutch apples. After completing marathon you get a sack with some fruits. The Apple I got still had a layer of wax and was rotten inside.

I avoid plastic bags but the ones in Spain and Italy feel and sound different.

Clothing seams here are fraying on the shelf and everything costs 20-50% more than in Germany or Italy or UK.

All home chemistry is more expensive in Romania and Baltics, so I used knockoffs until lately. The fresh smell helps a bit.

Glad we still have local produce, but it is becoming harder to compete since Polish stuff is cheaper for average income consumer and there are hardly any alternatives to most imported stuff

FirebrandRoaring  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

FirebrandRoaring  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Do you know if that holds true for other Eastern European countries?

Could it be because of the import taxes in Poland?

Devac  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sam Altman: E Pur Si Muove

Now imagine that this kind of stuff is a not a small portion of the news you might get from the USA as an outsider. I remarked a year or so ago that there are times when I need to remind myself that there are normal, sane people living there. That's still true, though doesn't happen as often.

Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 13, 2017

Bummer. Any plans to try later?

Possibly, but I hoped it would work out before the Christmas break. What's left of December is basically chaos and people going to their families, January is always shit for anything that isn't about studies. Most likely, games are out of the question until after the exams. That's roughly going to happen mid-February.

Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New to Hubski? Old to Hubski? Can't post? Come on in, let's discuss.

The tag's page itself? As kantos said, you are either on global feed or see things with more than one tag (and possibly badged content, I can't recall if that's enabled by default).

While there are quite a few Canadians here, I doubt you'll get more from this place than from a local news site. Not trying to push you away or depress but it's just a state of things. Look around for other topics to discuss as you see fit would be my best advice.

Also, as someone who's Polish-German, I can tell you that this place is saturated with USA stuff. If it's too annoying to scroll through: filter a tag. That's what I've been doing when something seems to spam my feed.

deltree711  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, you know what they say about being the change you want to see. I'll try posting some #canada and #cdnpoli stuff.

Both of my diploma projects are in a rather advanced stage of development. Physics has a full description of the theory and experimental methodology with most of the collected data already analysed. Maths is even more developed and I'm roughly 80% done at this point. Mid-terms went well, so at least that's out of my hair.

There was supposed to be a Cyberpunk 2020 session this weekend, but it's not happening for various reasons. The last few weeks were very annoying and I was looking forward to something fun like that.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bummer. Any plans to try later?

Both of my diploma projects are in a rather advanced stage of development.

What a badass fuckin' statement.

Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bummer. Any plans to try later?

Here you were searching for tags, instead go to https://hubski.com/tag/canada and you'll see at the top:

It's faster than searching for posts associated with the tag.

deltree711  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ok cool I found the tag and followed it. When I go to my feed now, though, I'm still getting a bunch of posts from tags I'm not following. Is there somewhere I can go where I can only see the stuff that I'm interested in?

Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

deltree711  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

kantos  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is it possible that 1) you're looking at the global feed as your default or 2) the posts you're seeing on your feed are in multiple tags - one of which being one you follow?

Devac  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Unabomber Manifesto

I read it a while ago. Some of the points and assumptions/suppositions he made were eerily close to my own thoughts. Some seemed to be spot-on. On the face value, manifesto felt consistent, but the more I was thinking about it, the more I began to disagree. I recall a few contradictions within the text itself, but right now I don't have the time to go back and check. There was also a point where I got pissed off at the text and had to take a break for a day to get back to it. Let's just say that his mathematical papers were a lot more elegant and to my liking. And terse.

I can potentially elaborate if need be, but I'd rather stay away from discussing politics and social problems.

Devac  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Comcast is injecting 400+ lines of JavaScript into web pages [HN post]

I'd be more worried about your proxy's conduct.

If the traffic is unencrypted you can even become a target to a bored nerd with a laptop connected to the same shitty wifi, really.

WanderingEng  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

That was hilarious, thanks. He was a great speaker on an interesting topic. I'm using Private Internet Access, a company that should have some professionalism. But really it just means trusting them similar to trusting my ISP.

Devac  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
Devac  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is Luke Skywalker's Robotic Hand Possible?

There was a nifty idea for helping with pressure feedback by overlaying the 'skin' of the prosthesis with piezoelectric sensors (paper), but I can't seem to track further developments. Shame, it seems like a great fit in more than just theory.

neurotransmissions  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

That sounds cool. You're right that it would be a good fit for something like the Luke arm. The future is bright for prosthetics, that's for sure!

Devac  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are you playing?

I really needed to decompress after the last few days, so I'm eating my pizza and playing Ur-Quan Masters (aka Star Control 2). It's very worth recommending.

Around Christmass, my group is going to play a Cyberpunk 2020 session and I can't decide on a character. Usually, I was defaulting to a Cop, but now I'm entertaining an idea of playing as either a Nomad or a Solo. People already declared a Techie and a Netrunner, so I guess I'm going to be the brawn to their brains.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Around Christmass, my group is going to play a Cyberpunk 2020 session

Dude. Bitchin'. I love cyberpunk-themed games. Glad to hear you're enjoying the opportunity to play one.

Isherwood  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hmm, I'm just looking through the classes now and I'm glad they managed to keep bards in the future.