Creativity's comments
Creativity  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: FALCON HEAVY IS A GO! Tuesday 1:30PM EST

That was amazing to watch.

Creativity  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What is a post you have made that didn't get the discussion you were hoping for?

That instagram account is amazing. Thanks for re-sharing!

Creativity  ·  36 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: If you’re not watching Planet Earth II, you’re wrong.

I can confirm. Planet Earth II is well worth a watch !

I don't remember who did the book experiment but it wasn't me :) I remember seeing the thread though.

_refugee_  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·

was it Complexity ?? Darn, anyone remember?

Complexity  ·  41 days ago  ·  link  ·

It was me, yes. I wonder where the rest of the books are.

I took The City And The City to be a parable about Israel, specifically Jerusalem, and the close quarters within which different faiths and hatreds nevertheless are drawn to live due to a shared attraction to the holy city.

Creativity  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Musings on Cryptocurrency - an invitation to ruminate

I believe that Ripple rising up so much is also due to the fact that new comers see it as "being cheap", in the sense that it was only 1$ to own a coin a week or so ago. Other people analyzing that new comers would see it this way, they wanted to make some quick money analyzing the sentiment of the crowd and went in: Self-fulfilling prophecy. I would not invest in Ripple now. I don't own any. I used it to cash-out $50 because it was the cheapest & fastest option (I wanted to see how cheap/fast I could cash-out). But then again, who knows what it will be worth in 1 month.

I never thought the black market would be this big. What you write makes me want to double down on one of my bet. There is this coin, Zclassic, that is going to transform into BTCP (Bitcoin Private), where each owner of Zclassic and each owner of BTC will receive 1 BTCP. So owning 1 Zclassic now is like predicting the price of Bitcoin Private if everything go as planned. The fork is supposed to happen before february. It's risky, but the market seems so big that maybe there is place for a new player.

One trend we're seeing a lot of is regulation. China clamped down, Korea is threatening to clamp down... those of us in NY and WA are already dealing with this; if you want to trade crypto, you have to trade in a house that's FDIC insured. It has to act like a bank, look like a bank, be regulated like a bank and have reserves like a bank.

That means Gemini.

And Gemini deals in BTC and ETH, and that's it. There may be other firms willing to step up to the requirements necessary but as other states clamp down on crypto (which they will do, the first time anybody loses their home or some shit because of speculating on BTC futures), it's gonna close out a lot of the weirder coins.

One thing about BTC and ETH - it's not that hard to move around without an exchange. But for everything else, it's gonna be exchange exchange exchange. Even now most of the transactions aren't wallet-to-wallet, they're internal exchange.

rthomas6  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

Coinbase/GDAX is also FDIC insured.

That's right - I forgot they were okay to trade because my experience with them has been so bad. Just logged in for the first time in like a year and that neglible little bit of BTC I left in there 'cuz it didn't matter is now worth over $100.

Crazy times.

Creativity  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are your goals for 2018?

Mercantour National Park and Écrins National Park would be the top #2 spots, I think there is some amazing hiking to do there. Also, even though I spent almost my entire life living in the suburbs of Paris, I feel like I should know the city better. I have this idea of doing a blog/instagram thing about France & travelling but not sure if I will go though. There is already so much content about it that I'm not sure if I will add anything of value.

Rennes is a nice city, have you been to "Le Mont Saint-Michel", about 50 kms north of Rennes ?

Creativity  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are your goals for 2018?

If you come by Paris in 2018, let's have a coffee somewhere !

johnnyFive  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're on!

- Running my first Marathon, even if I wasn't able to train as I wanted to

- Ending university, getting my master's degree

- Finding an internship that will then transform into a full time job in consulting strategy ;

- Leverage the concept of compound interest, be it for relationships, sports, or financial investment ;

- Finding a flat in Paris to rent, when I have secured a job ;

- Travel more in France. I feel like I don't really know my country ;

- Read more. Pay attention to where my attention goes. Reduce shot-attention span-things for more in depth reading. This one is hard.

Moonshot goal: being able to pay my student debt (42k€) from my 500€ investment in cryptocurrency back in June 2017.

2017 was one of the best year of my life. Lets try to make 2018 better !

ButterflyEffect  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good luck no the marathon! Where in France would you like to travel? I once studied in Rennes, and thought it was a beautiful place. Would love to go back there one day.

On the same page as you with crypto, been thinking about selling off my ETH but...it's a hard call. Could pay off all my debt, or see if it keeps rising...

Creativity  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Creativity  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy New Year everyone!

Happy new year Hubski !

blurry picture from last night

Creativity  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Three Body Problem

Very interesting read. This is not going to end well.

Creativity  ·  60 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dai is now live on the Ethereum mainnet

This video is good for beginners.

Creativity  ·  66 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ethereum just blasted through $600

I don't remember seeing the post above. It was in January 26th, 2016. If I remember correctly, it was the start of a new semester at school and I must have spent a bit less time on Hubski at the time. Shoulda Coulda Woulda been able to pay back my student loan if I saw and researched it at the time. Oh well.

I had a second chance, when mk posted about it and did a beginner's guide to invest in ethereum when it was at $50. Must have also been a period where important things happened, because the link was saved in my "favorites" folder for a long time and I never put my energy towards it.

And then in June, my school organized with BCG a kind of business-hackaton, where I got the opportunity to discuss and learn about the technology. Seemed promising, so I invested a bit of my pocket money on it (being still a student 9 months away from working a real job with a student loan, I only invested what I could lose), betting that the industry overall would grow (market cap was around 100billions at the time). Got lucky, I didn't invest in ethereum at the time (360ish). Made some money from this, which could pay a very nice holiday.

I really liked kleinbl00 post about Intrinsic Value Theory & Greater Fool Theory (https://hubski.com/pub/397016) because it really summurize nicely what's happening.

So total cryptocoin market cap just hit $0.5T today. But have we earned it?

How many unbanked people have we banked? How much censorship-resistant commerce for the common people have we enabled? How many dapps have we created that have substantial usage? Low added value per user for using a blockchain is fine, but then you have to make up for it in volume. How much value is stored in smart contracts that actually do anything interesting? How many Venezuelans have actually been protected by us from hyperinflation? How much actual usage of micropayment channels is there actually in reality?

The answer to all of these questions is definitely not zero, and in some cases it's quite significant. But not enough to say it's $0.5T levels of significant. Not enough.

Vitalik on Twitter, 8 hours ago.

I think he's right that the current marketcap of crypto is high, especially when the technical challenges ahead https://medium.com/@preethikasireddy/fundamental-challenges-with-public-blockchains-253c800e9428 (Limited scalability ; Limited privacy ; Lack of formal contract verification ; Storage constraints ; Unsustainable consensus mechanisms ; Lack of governance and standards ; Inadequate tooling ; Quantum computing threat) are still plentiful. Will the crypto market cap exceed 3 trillions in 2020? I believe so. But it might be a bumpy road from here to there, and the current top 20 crypto might be totally different then. I still hold what I put in June, because I didn't made any "significant" gains, but I believe I would have cashed out half if I started in 2016 or early 2017.

Creativity  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 8, 2017

Marathon Training of the week:

5 kms in 24"43

Semi-marathon in 1"57"43

5 kms in 27"12 (went way too fast on the first km)

12 kms in 1"06"48

Don't know if it's good or bad for a target time of sub 4-hour Marathon? Marathon Day is January 14.

Creativity  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What will the price of Bitcoin be one year from today?

$22 019. Because why not. It's a random guess, as I already have no idea what's going to happen in the next 2 weeks with the fork.

Creativity  ·  108 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 1, 2017

I felt pretty good, I needed to drink some more water but I would have been able to continue. I didn't eat anything during the 20 kms, but I think the lack of calories intake might be a problem in a longer race.

Today I tried a shorter distance but tried to go faster, I did 5 kms in 24 mins & 21 secs (My target was below 25 mins so I'm happy with it!)