Creativity's comments
Creativity  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy New Year!

Happy New Year Hubski !

Creativity  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "Where are you at right now?" Thread

@On the startup idea: me not engaging fully with this says to me that I’m not ready yet for the sacrifices that launching a company entails. As soon as I get my computer back I will probably write a business plan and see where I can go from here, and try to learn how to code to try basic features just to get an idea and some knowledge about the technical part. I will try to do the free courses on Lambda School during the first semester of 2019. While I’m confident that the idea has merit, I also deeply believe that there are way too many competitors with deep pockets right now in the mobility-space and that my solution would provide a small improvement, but not an 10x one that would be necessary to gain adoption. Will have clearer ideas about all that when I put it down. I also believe right now is not a good time to launch a company that needs huge amount of VC money to reach scale, because as the markets are turning red, the VC money is usually the first one to dry up as it’s high risk. But going through this whole process, of identifying what are the steps needed might definitely help me to be readier 5, 10 years from now to launch something I believe in.

@On clear goals: yep. That’s where I have a hard time making sacrifices to define one goal instead of another one. Will take the holiday season as I have a few days off to think about all this.

@On love: you are right on this one, I shouldn’t overthink about it right now.

Creativity  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "Where are you at right now?" Thread

Uncertainty. And thankful.

I'm 25 years old, single, employed, with a college degree and living with my mom and brother.

- I don't know precisely on what I want to work on, on what problems to solve. I have a deep confidence that I can learn and focus on something and become good at it if I really dedicate my time and effort there. My lack of decision-making relating to that big decision, and others, paralizes me in some way. I'm particularly interested in crypto (public blockchains), mobility (self driving cars, mobility as a service, electrification), travel (adventure, photos, movies / still have to do my tripreport from Canada x Alaska, and will be able to as soon as I get my computer fixed) or starting my own company* in something I believe in

(e.g. I think I have a great idea but no technical knowledge and with the competition I would need to raise millions to be able to execute. The idea is 'Carpooling on demand' and it improves current solutions on multiple levels (I'm thinking about Uber for the on-demand part and Blablacar for the carpooling part). It would cost way less per trip than Uber, it would be a way more 'instant' and 'direct' experience than Blablacar. Less congestion and pollution because you don't add any cars compared to Uber. It scales with mobility as a service solution and self-driving cars beautifully. I think it would be hard to penetrate the US Market but I'm confident it would work quite well in France. The end-of-state scenario would be: xx.xx$/months. Unlimited Car Pooling, Worldwide. Price could vary if you want to add options about being able to use public transport, scooters, and other mobility solutions).

- I don't know where I want to live ;

- I don't know if I want to be a dad one day or if I want a life full of adventure and travel ;

- I don't know how to make these decisions because I feel like the 'me' in three years from now might have a different opinion on what I should have done.

- I'm thankful that these are the questions I'm wondering about. That I have choices.

For those of you who went through this and others who have an opinion about it: how did you chose between your options, and why? What questions did you ask yourself at the time?

Tetr4  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm not sure how much I could contribute (still in University), but speaking from my own experiences with semi-realistic goals and hobbies, I'd encourage you to start planning it out as a small business, just to see how feasable it is.

So you'd need a database for the drivers, a way to test and then add new drivers (since it's starting out, you could do it by hand), a database for the users, a user-side and driver-side app (this would be the expensive part. If you're ever bored, try learning how to make an app (I say as a Computer nerd), but honestly this would be the toughest part of the startup). Etc etc. At least putting it on paper might help organize it in your mind and assess if/when it's viable.

Back to the general questions.

If it helps, you in 3 years will definitely have a different opinion on what you should've done. That's inevitable, and that's okay. What really matters is figuring out clear goals now, so that finding what you should work on becomes much easier.

Live a life full of adventure/travel (if you want to) and worry about being a parent when you get there. Working backwards, being a healthy father would originate from a loving relationship, and the key to that is living a satisfying and fulfilling internal life. Love yourself, and respect/pay attention to others, and that bit will work itself out, I believe.

Creativity  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

@On love: you are right on this one, I shouldn’t overthink about it right now.

Creativity  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: People who have moved out of parents, how old were you when you left?

I'm 25 and currently living in the suburbs of Paris at my mother's place. I went away for 2 years in Lyon, 6 months in Taïwan for my studies, but I'm starting my career and it's a huge help to be able to save a lot of money, especially to travel.

Also, all my long time friends from middle school and high school are still living in the area, so while I also have friends from university and business school in Paris, I don't feel an urge to move there.

Creativity  ·  89 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Looking for roadtrip advice [Canadian Rockies x Alaska]

It was exceptional. Writing a tripreport is on my to do list since I came back but I obviously failed to take the time to do it. I will post it on Hubski before the end of next week :)

Merlin  ·  89 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good to hear!

Creativity  ·  94 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Mirror/Reflection

Emerald Lake, Yoho National Park, Canada

Taken with a Galaxy S7 and edited with the Lightroom app.

Creativity  ·  98 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 10, 2018

If you are into more rewarding computer-stuff, you should check-out Lambda School.

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact sitehelp@stltoday.com or call 314-340-8888.

:<

Creativity  ·  172 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Zuckerberg Loses $16.8 Billion in a Snap as Facebook Plunges

It's 13 billion from advertising and 0.2 billion from "payments and other fees".

Creativity  ·  174 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Looking for roadtrip advice [Canadian Rockies x Alaska]

Oh. I'm not planning on packing gaiters so wet foot it will be!

I heard that Amythyst Lake was the highlight of the hike, their campground is still full though so I managed to get the closest one to it :)

Hey Merlin, thanks for your feedback !

I will probably skip Fairbanks based on the description, if it allows me to have one more day around Seward to do some hiking and/or the white-water rafting experience that sounds amazing!

Merlin  ·  173 days ago  ·  link  ·

You are very welcome! If you any questions about anything just shoot me a message and I'll do my best to answer! I also must say that if you go south from Denali there are some amazing opportunities to Brewery Hop (if you are a beer drinker) Alaska is a great place for beer!

Thanks for the suggestions ! After rethinking about it, I will stick to the Jasper-Banff area (there is a lot to do there and if I can save some time from going back and forth from National Parks, I will be able to do more backcountry hikes.

oyster  ·  174 days ago  ·  link  ·

That’s fair, Waterton is pretty out of the way but also my favourite place on earth so I have to push it on everybody.

What are you thinking for accommodations ? Things fill up fast because this is the busy season so if you are looking at hotels/hostels you should work on nailing down a few solid dates. Being spontaneous is alright too, some random homeless people camped in the trees behind my place for like 2 nights but I think 8-9 and somebody would have said something. I serve a lot of people who randomly end up at the hotel when they planned to be camping because the campsight filled up.

I will definitely look into Athabasca Glacier Tour. It's a bit expensive but depending on disponibilities and how much I'm going to spend in the first few days I will be able to see if I can afford it. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the feedback ! I managed to get a camping spot at the Maccarib campground for Tonquin (1 night) ! Wilcox Pass is now on my to do list between Jasper & Banff.

ButterflyEffect  ·  174 days ago  ·  link  ·

One tip on Maccarib. As of three weeks ago both bridges to the campsite have been washed out. You'll have to cross a moving stream, it's not fast enough to sweep you off your feet but you will get wet if you don't have gaiters. Also keep going until you hit Amythyst Lake after you set up camp. It is so, so worth the extra handful of km.

Creativity  ·  174 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh. I'm not planning on packing gaiters so wet foot it will be!

Creativity  ·  187 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 11, 2018

That's some amazing plans ahead !

Main reason for not sleeping at campgrounds was that we didn't pack a tent with us. I wanted to have the campgrounds in the map to be able to sleep in the car in a safe spot but when we saw we had to pay we tried to find other safe spots being on a budget :)