Creativity's comments
Creativity  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tech’s Two Philosophies

If you haven't done so, you should also check out his podcast where he discusses its weekly articles : http://exponent.fm/

I like listening to it while commuting.

Creativity  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your favourite buy-it-for-life item?

I'm like you regarding my purchases, but thinking about what will hold 'for life' is extremely hard.

Before reading about your last purchase, 'My bag!' popped up in my head. Osprey Farpoint 40. It's been 4 years and it is still holding great through many travel adventures, be it accross the USA, Iceland, or South-East Asia. It's the perfect size (cabin size) for travelling, and can hold everything I need for 1 week, 1 month, or even 6 months (I pack that lightly, yes!) and it's incredibly robust. I don't think I will have any problem keeping it another 10 years.

Besides that, I can't really think of anything. My phone usually last 4 years (currently Galaxy S7, still working perfectly fine after two years), my computer is starting to have a hard time (5 years, Sony Vaio, will probably buy a Dell XPS in the next year), but these are not buy-it-for-life item.

Creativity  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Seven Days of Heroin - This is what an epidemic looks like

I missed that one! Thanks.

Creativity  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My first official run [Marathon, or when everything goes terribly wrong]

I already drank a little bit before going to the start of the race, the problem was not being able to drink any energy drink for 13K when you expect being able to

wasoxygen  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, that's ridiculous that they didn't provide anything in the first 13.

Still, you finished a marathon before 9 a.m. That's fantastic!

I will do another one down the road, but I really don't know when. I believe that breaking the 4h mark is possible if I follow and execute a good training program (even if I'm miles away right now).

I wanted to do Paris' Marathon, but it costs more than 100€, so... I will have to convince my company to do a team and pay for it next year!

Creativity  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Help Is Not Coming - The 2018 Barkley Marathons

I should probably write something about my Marathon experience, that was a fun watch.

elizabeth  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’d love to read that! I’ve gone down the Barkley Marsthon rabbit hole pretty deep this week, would love to hear more general marathon stories.

Creativity  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Brings You to Hubski?

I don't remember exactly how I stumbled accross Hubski, probably a link in a reddit post. That was 1419 days ago, so almost 4 years. I don't post often, but I check the community almost daily, except on holidays. Why ?

- Great content discovery, and thoughtful comments and discussions. I love to be able to read about the opinions and thoughts of a diverse crowd. It lets you go past your filter bubble in a way;

- There is almost always someone to tell me why I'm wrong on something, and they are very often right (I'm especially thinking about kleinbl00 here, thanks for pushing back the dark!);

- The fact that everybody speaks english is amazing. It trains me everyday to read and understand another language. You know that language-learning in French is a bit lagging behind Europe. I would not consider myself bilingual because I still have a french accent, but I can talk about cryptocurrencies, technology and economics in english in a day-to-day conversation, and part of that reason is Hubski;

- The feeling of the community is loving, welcoming, and pushing you to be the better version of yourself. It's kind of like everybody believes in everybody, so we each push ourselves up in a not-cheesy-kind-of-way if that makes sense;

- I will always remember meeting wasoxygen and arguewithatree on a week-end trip to DC when I was in the US. Incredible hospitality and amazing people.

Creativity  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How a self-driving car killed a pedestrian in Arizona

The footage is available :

I would have probably killed her if I was the one behind the wheel. I don't understand why the car's system doesn't detect her though.

That's some appallingly misleading footage.

1) It's that dark to a daytime camera. That's visible spectrum, not infrared spectrum, which you have to filter out if you don't want it in modern chips. What your average dashcam picks up in night is shit.

2) By the time that footage starts, LIDAR had her for seven seconds already.

3) She'd already been a stationary object (from the car's perspective) in the opposite lane for as long as it took her to cross a lane (at least six seconds, probably longer).

4) the interior footage is 100% infrared, and you can see the poor schlub sitting there no problem even though the only thing lighting him was the dash lights. So they have the infrared footage. Shit, they've got the telemetry from all four cameras, the LIDAR and the RADAR out front but what they're releasing is grainycam.

And what does the infrared footage show? The poor schlub surfing his fucking phone. Because the car is driving itself. It is, after all, a "self-driving car."

Trust me. You wouldn't have killed her. You would have seen someone lit by streetlight and headlights in the lane ahead of you and you would have slowed. You don't think a brand-new Volvo XC90 doesn't have headlights good enough to see the next lane over at 38mph?

If yes, then Uber has done its job.

Creativity  ·  77 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 7, 2018

Internship Hunt

I'm having my first interviews for my end-of-study internship tomorrow and on monday. Yaay. It starts to take form. I'm not sure I would be that excited to join either firm though, I will need to get more informations about the missions, but I will definitely take the chance to practice my interviewee skills.

Entertainment

I enjoyed "La Casa de Papel" tv series. Loved that it was in spanish. You should watch the first ep, and you will probably be hooked. It's about a fictional heist of the Royal Mint of Spain.

Creativity  ·  87 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: French Food Waste Law Changing How Grocery Stores Approach Excess Food

I'm really happy that this is happening. Incentives to do the right thing.

Next step: It should also be mandatory for clothes that doesn't sell themselves : instead of burning them, give them to the people who need them the most.

Creativity  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: PUBSKI: but not the real one : PUB IS CLOSED, party next door.

Thanks!

Yes. I guess I just need a little drink to push myself towards what I want.

Strategic consulting firms usually recruit year-long, with a slow-down period in July and August (French holiday season) and my department updates new offers when they appear. I'm in a target school while not being in the "top" target school, so... if I do my homework I should be able to get into one.

It's paid, and ideally I would love to work in one that focuses more on technology, but the competition is harder.

Would love to send you my cover letter, but it's in French ahah

lil  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·

hmmm, no my Canadian high-school French is lost to history. But seriously, you seem to have a good idea what you want and what to do. Once you get started it will get easier.

refine my cover letter, CV, and case interview skills

good luck.

Creativity  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks!

Yes. I guess I just need a little drink to push myself towards what I want.

I have a really hard time motivating myself to refine my cover letter, CV, and case interview skills before applying to strategic consulting intern positions.

I can define the perfect strategy about how, what, and when I should do things. And get my list of priorities straight. But at the end of the day, when I have to implement all this, it all falls down.

I need a drink.

lil  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·

Does your department give you a list of strategic consulting intern positions? Are they looking for you? Are they paid internships? Are you cold-calling? Is there a particular one that you are well-suited for? pm me your cover letter. The pub is still relatively empty.

Creativity  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·

Would love to send you my cover letter, but it's in French ahah

lil  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·

refine my cover letter, CV, and case interview skills

good luck.

Creativity  ·  91 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks!

Yes. I guess I just need a little drink to push myself towards what I want.

Creativity  ·  106 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: FALCON HEAVY IS A GO! Tuesday 1:30PM EST

That was amazing to watch.

Creativity  ·  118 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What is a post you have made that didn't get the discussion you were hoping for?

That instagram account is amazing. Thanks for re-sharing!