a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Corvus's comments
Corvus  ·  1607 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Gorillaz to start work on first new album in five years, says frontman Damon Albarn

HOLY SHIT. This is amazing. Gorillaz is the goddamn best pseudo-band ever. Demon Days were amazing and there were more than one times in my life in which I listened to Plastic Beach every day. All of their work really, is amazing, in my eyes. I'm sooo excited for what this album is going to be. Every album is usually a different sound form the last, so I hope this one is going to be something new and awesome!

Killerhurtz  ·  1607 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm VERY picky with my music. Like, really fucking picky.

And so far, there's only three bands where the ratio of songs-I-like to songs-I-don't-like is higher than one. Pink Floyd, Daft Punk and Gorillaz.

(brb gotta listen to all of Plastic Beach and Demon Days and B-Side again)

Corvus  ·  1608 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 5 Hubski funding ideas that don't involve bitcoin

I didn't know that facebook's targeted ads weren't blocked by adblock. I don't use facebook much though, I only log in every now and then to check for messages and stuff, though, so I wouldn't be able to tell. I don't see what would make an extension like adblock unable to patch those out though, unless facebook was actively using some random placements and/or serving them from a lot of different servers.

I misspoke. It appears they do. Nonetheless, six months immersed in online marketing courses has taught me that nobody is advocating any other kind of advertising at the moment which tends to indicate that they're still the most favored marketing option.

Adblock works by comparing a LUT back in server-land with the page your browser sees. If it sees "ad" it tells your browser not to load it. This has caused Adblock to actually run slower than non-blocked browsers because of the proliferation of iFrames - if you've got six iFrames on your page, Adblock needs to make 6 calls to Adblock's servers. If each one of those iFrames can load a millisecond faster than Adblock can get a response, your page gets served six milliseconds slower with Adblock than without and the difference is cumulative.

Adblock doesn't always work on targeted ads because there's nothing requiring Facebook to tell ABP that such and such is an ad.

zedadex  ·  1239 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thought adblock lists get downloaded once and periodically updated. It'd be silly for them to have requests going out to their servers repeatedly to check static lists that only get updated every once in a while anyways.

Heh, facebook ads are very very aggressive. At a certain point there was a way to target one person.

Anyway, I actually don't find hubski hideous. It definitely takes some getting used to, but so does reddit (and look at it's popularity!). After that I started finding it quite lean and streamlined. These are opinions though.

Curating ads is a pretty cool idea, but I can't say I support it when there are alternatives like NPR's model. Besides, most people use adblock/ublock and I doubt that many would go through the trouble of disabling it for hubski.

Given my 'druthers, Hubski would look a lot like Protopage - in other words, however I want. We've already got "themes" and so long as we aren't inflicting themes on other people, there's no reason my hubwheels need to look like your hubwheels. If I want traffic lights and comic sans and I'm willing to pay $2 to have them, take my money.

The thing about doing ads in this particularly targeted fashion is that it wouldn't work with anybody's ad network. Hubski would have to write its own. In writing its own, it would be immune from adblock, just like Facebook is. Yeah, you can kill the sidebar shit no problem... but the actual targeted ads? They're bulletproof.

Corvus  ·  1608 days ago  ·  link  ·

zedadex  ·  1239 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh goddamn I thought I'd read through that thread. Oh well, thanks!

Idea #6 is sort of already in place, if you didn't know: SWAG!!

syzo  ·  1608 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh! I didn't already know. Nice! I'll look into buying a tshirt or something.

I feel like having ads on hubski would severely undermine the experience the hubski team wants us to have -- ads would make hubski look more like a conventional social aggregator, i.e. reddit, i.e. easily digestible content that panders to the lowest common denominator, instead of the awesome website with quality posts and discussions that go on in hubski. Not to say that it wouldn't work, it's just that I've noticed that the interface is very much so designed in order to encourage thoughtfullness and I feel like it ads would detract a lot from it.

That said, hubski needs money. I commend you for giving a lot of alternative funding models, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughs on the model currently being tested.

Edit: In my mind the NPR model would be the best alternative (listed here) to hubski's the model that's being tested now. A close second would be the value added model, which is pretty much the NPR model with benefits for people who donate (thus encouraging more donations).

I think that Hubski focuses too much on "look" (which is hideous). The functionality of Hubski would work just fine with ads. Granted - the current layout isn't the best for ads but ads suck fundamentally so no layout works well.

I also think ads are on the way out, which is one reason why an approach like this - where things are heavily targeted - is worth pursuing. Any internet marketing expert right now will tell you the only thing that works anymore is Facebook ads, and those can be targeted ridiculously tight - talking "women 18-20 that like techno and are shopping for purses within 3 miles of zipcode 90210."

Corvus  ·  1608 days ago  ·  link  ·

Corvus  ·  1608 days ago  ·  link  ·

zedadex  ·  1239 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bowser  ·  1590 days ago  ·  link  ·

Personally, I like the no-bullshit dark theme. I also like Pinboard's no-bullshit appearance: list of links, two buttons, search box.

user-inactivated  ·  1608 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm interested in hearing your thoughs on the model currently being tested.

kleinbl00's compelling thoughts on the matter can be found here.

Corvus  ·  1608 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh goddamn I thought I'd read through that thread. Oh well, thanks!

Corvus  ·  1609 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Artificial Neural Networks with Corvus: Part 1!

Yeah, I was pretty psyched about it that night. Awesome, I'll probably keep writing part 2 tonight!

On another note, I'll probably be on the IRC for the next couple of days/nights so maybe I'll catch you there!

Fluffy017  ·  1609 days ago  ·  link  ·

Lol you know I never sleep bud, you're always welcome to come in and liven up discussion with this stuff :D

That's really cool! Can I ask what you're using as / whether you're using a framework for your neural networks? When I started my current project I started playing around with a few different frameworks so I could simplify most of my work, but I ended up starting to write my code from scratch (efficiency was a major concern).

Machine learning is a really interesting topic (with soooo much stuff to talk about) and I'll definitely talk about it.

Anyway, it seems like you've got a very cool idea and I want to know more about it!

ahw  ·  1609 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks, I've used Torch as a framework. I probably wouldn't be able to produce anything more efficient myself. I'm currently still very much at the layperson stage and taking lots of learning materials and code from examples online but I've been really pleased with the results so far.

Awesome, I'm glad you understood. I was partly afraid that I wasn't being as clear as I wanted to but it's cool that people are understanding what I meant to transmit. I'll definitely touch on google's creepy images!

Hehe, that's pretty cool. It's a really interest topic and it's getting a lot of attention right now (thanks for making creepy pictures of dogs google!) and I felt like it would be cool to explain it.

Definitely, and this is one of the most important things I want to discuss after I finish writing a reasonably comprehensive rundown of the rest of the inner working of artificial neuron networks. There are soooooo many possible applications for neural networks due to their intrinsic ability to adapt to problem, as long as you give it a reasonable input and output.

Definitely does! I'll also talk a bit about learning algorithms for these, though if part 2 gets too long I'll make it a part 3.

psudo  ·  1609 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm definitely the most interested in the learning algorithms, and would honestly love a post dedicated to them entirely.

Thanks a lot man! I myself wondered whether mathjaxMathJax integration would benefit hubski while writing my post, but then I wasn't sure because I feel like hubski tries to keep things light. MathJax integration wouldn't weigh down a lot though, I feel, and would be pretty cool.

Corvus  ·  1610 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Machine Learning for Developers by Mike de Waard

Oh for sure!!

Corvus  ·  1611 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Currents, the new Tame Impala record, leaked yesterday and it's pretty dope!

Just in case, direct link is here.