ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Early Winter Outdoors Report

These were both taken on a friend's Canon Rebel T6. Editing on the first was done using Snapseed, not sure about the second.

Funny, we have the same headlamp. It's an amazing one, especially for running, but I would prefer a headlamp with greater on time at max lumens than the sprinter (which I thought was four hours but sounds like maybe that isn't the case), and with more of a flood than spot focus.

That sounds like a mighty cold hike at Basin. Even on Mount St. Helen's we didn't experience below zero temperatures.

WanderingEng  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Funny coincidence! That's why gear can be so personal. What I like you don't.

I'll take the cold over wind, though! Cold just means bundling up a bit and maybe slowing down to avoid sweating. Wind can feel dangerous.

ButterflyEffect  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 17, 2018

This is a pretty good representation of how things are going.

The only thing of note is that dating is going really, really well right now. Somehow have stumbled upon a girl (we even initially met in real life - wow) who makes me feel a lot of emotions I haven’t felt in years. She’s...awesome.

OftenBen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hiking is awesome.

You're awesome.

If you say she's awesome, I bet she is.

Have fun!

ButterflyEffect  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Early Winter Outdoors Report

I'm finding descents to be dependent on proper gear, the ability to use your gear, and mental preparation. For me the latter is of considerable importance because of inexperience on steeper terrain, and traversing certain aspects of the terrain. It isn't as physically demanding but I find it more demanding in every other way. Good thing getting back down isn't optional!

Nope, we brought snowshoes but really didn't need them. We were able to boot our entire way up without much discomfort, minus some particularly strong wind gusts. The wind at the crater rim where the picture was taken was a constant probably 40 mph, which was a new experience for me. One lesson learned was to put on crampons either before or after the summit, but not at it. The wind is too strong and hands are too cold to make that work well. The weather, outside of the wind, was amazing. No precipitation, mostly sunny, though it did rain just about everywhere else!

Yeah, I'm actually going to buy another headlamp for a couple of reasons, mine doesn't have a great battery life, and it'll make it easier if people need to borrow gear.

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Headlamp: my current go-to is the Black Diamond Sprinter. I wanted to get a rechargeable one because I told myself I'd never have dead batteries, so I always left with brand new batteries. Buying new ones before every trip when the old ones were probably good seemed wasteful.

I used this for my hike up Basin in December. Total time on was probably four or five hours with maybe an hour and a half in the morning and three hours in the evening. I don't know what the temperature actually was, but it was single digits at best and maybe negative single digits at elevation. I never took it off between morning and evening (but turned it off). That was over thirteen hours outside in the cold, and it still worked like a charm when I turned it back on.

Recommendations are a funny thing; a lot of gear stuff can be very personal. But I'm happy with my running headlamp when hiking. I also use it running.

40 mph in the open is no joke! I've had wind that bad only once, on Haystack. It felt actively dangerous despite the terrain not being steep or tricky.

I really look forward to seeing the other things you do! This all looks fantastic. It's definitely a learning experience, and I bet even the super experienced people learn things each time. Even the same trail is different on different days.

ButterflyEffect  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Funny coincidence! That's why gear can be so personal. What I like you don't.

ButterflyEffect  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 10, 2018

Only four of the fourteen were with the snowshoes on! But it was great any way you dice it. A gear geek thread would be awesome! Gear, clothing, and training!

WanderingEng  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Training is a good one! I follow an Adirondack hiker forum, and the conventional wisdom there is that running isn't hiking. But some of my strongest hikes were during my marathon training or a month after the race. Maybe road running on comparatively flat areas isn't ideal for mountain hiking training, but it seemed pretty effective.

I'm considering signing up for another marathon in part to motivate myself to be in good shape for hiking.

ButterflyEffect  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 10, 2018

Huh. What model and year are you driving?

WanderingEng  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's a 2016 Impreza. As a tool I think it's fine. In modest snow it's incredibly solid. The seats flop down, and putting my bike in the back is a piece of cake. Just, grrr. The little things annoy me.

Saturday

Went snowshoeing for the first time! On a mountain which my friend and I had never hiked before. A solid 14-mile round trip adventure. There was fresh snow at around 3,500ft from previous snowfalls, and nobody had been up the trail in probably two days. We didn't actually make the summit because we:

A: Made a navigational error that put us above where the trail really was.

B: Took too long to figure that out and

C: Didn't bring headlamps and had three hours to make it back to my car.

Still an amazing day, snowshoeing is so much fun!!!

Tuesday/Wednesday

Another climbing night last night. Went to a bar after and re-encountered a guy I had met there a couple of months ago. It's basically been the neighborhood bar since the 1930's and is my favorite bar out of any place I've lived in. But the interesting part: turns out this guy is an Olympic swimmer who has won medals. What are the odds? Good guy to drink with, too, maybe I'll convince him to go climbing or running with us.

Aaaaaaaaand I met somebody again. Date number one was Sunday, date number two is tonight. There was this moment where she was just looking at me. And I was looking at her. And there was silence. It felt like she completely disarmed me in that exact moment and I haven't been able to shake that feeling since. I'm excited to see her, and maybe more importantly I'm nervous to see her. I've complained about lacking that sensation here on Hubski and elsewhere but I very much have it right now...

The Run Down

Between all the above, ETH, and more, I've been thinking a lot about what I have earned, haven't earned but lucked out upon and where life is going. It's starting to feel like there's a guiding force that keeps putting me in the proximity of some incredibly interesting people, places, and scenarios. But ultimately, I have made the choices that have led to this, nobody has forced me to make these choices.

WanderingEng  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

14 miles in snowshoes the first time out is great, especially with the elevation gain! So is turning back when necessary! Any hike that ends with all hikers safe and uninjured is a successful hike.

Any interest in a post to geek about gear? I know I'd enjoy discussing stuff.

ButterflyEffect  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sarah Silverman does good.

The world needs more communication like that. Obviously being famous helps, but let's treat each other a little better, take an extra little step in helping each other out.

It's funny how quickly a bit of curiosity can switch hate and disgust to empathy.

I bought a used copy of The Unbearable Lightness of Being last year. On the inside of the front cover was a hand-written note, as this book had, at one point, been purchased by somebody for a friend. It read:

Travel is the antidote to prejudice.

And then a best wishes statement. Compassion is the antidote to hate.

am_Unition  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·

Travel is the antidote to prejudice.

Sarah Silverman: 'I fell in love with' Trump voters

So yeah, I think there is more than a little merit to your handwritten note.

And what's dangerous about Facebook is that it saps the humanity out of person-to-person interaction, and people don't behave nearly as well as they might at a townhall debate, for example, where they're face-to-face. Using social media with compassion is apparently not our first instinct, so it's quite nice to see. Good on Silverman.

FirebrandRoaring  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·

Reminds me of the black man who befriended KKK members and led them out of the klan.

Like we keep conversing about today, people are people, and while their cause may be — or seem — harmful, they act on the best of their knowledge. It's difficult but important to keep in mind.

mk  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

I changed ‘reply’ to ‘discuss’ after a conversation with one of you that related to this point.

If there’s anything else we can do, I’m all ears.

I always prefer solutions that encourage thoughtful interaction over those that prevent the opposite.

The years coincide with with the 2007-2011 Belgian political crisis, but also with the composition and release of Susan Collins' Hunger Games trilogy.

This one is reasonable.

ButterflyEffect  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 3, 2018

Happy birthday!!!

There's a lot I can say about New Years Eve. I spend the entire year working with some people ranging from non-profit board members to production companies to city officials to volunteers, and it went amazingly well this year. Which is problematic because we're still going to barely be in the black. A lot to think about this upcoming year, but the feedback has been good, and we have success we can build on.

Had some spare time towards the end of the night, and ended up at our main stage for the final fire performance and countdown into 2018. It was bittersweet, standing there, alone, wearing my "Board Member" ID, watching all these couples and families have an amazing time. Gave me time to think about how much this all matters in the end if you don't have somebody to share the experience. Which led to a real, real, low emotionally which I'm still recovering from.

But there's always climbing, and running, and I'm looking at bikes on Craigslist today for hopefully a weekend purchase. The one last girl I had any interest in is a lesbian, so that's a first, and fortunately I didn't find out by asking her out. But that's it, really, and it's a bit freeing, a bit sad, yadda yadda. No people left who I want to flirt with, want to get know on a more intimate level, and currently no prospects for meeting somebody like that since I've sworn off online dating and don't have the time to expand much beyond what I'm already doing outside of work.

Resigned disappointment the phrase which was thrown at me last night. But that's life. And then you die or wake up.

ButterflyEffect  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "All eyes were on JC Penney"

Yeah that one hurt, a bit. When my family was tight for money (see: my entire childhood) my elderly, health-decaying dad ended up with a second job at Kaufmann's (now, Macy's). It really sucked barely seeing your dad, and knowing your family was subjected to that type of work. Definitely echoing rd95 with the bleak statement.

There's not much else to do in parts of Appalachia, industries died and didn't really come back, and service/insurance/other "white collar" jobs dwindle when there's no economic base propping them up. So, what do you do? You work in the mall, but eventually that closes because people buy online or can't afford to buy anything. Then you end up where we're at now.

ButterflyEffect  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are your goals for 2018?

Good luck no the marathon! Where in France would you like to travel? I once studied in Rennes, and thought it was a beautiful place. Would love to go back there one day.

On the same page as you with crypto, been thinking about selling off my ETH but...it's a hard call. Could pay off all my debt, or see if it keeps rising...

Creativity  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Mercantour National Park and Écrins National Park would be the top #2 spots, I think there is some amazing hiking to do there. Also, even though I spent almost my entire life living in the suburbs of Paris, I feel like I should know the city better. I have this idea of doing a blog/instagram thing about France & travelling but not sure if I will go though. There is already so much content about it that I'm not sure if I will add anything of value.

Rennes is a nice city, have you been to "Le Mont Saint-Michel", about 50 kms north of Rennes ?

Just finished reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Liked it a lot, but it's also causing me to have a mini existential crisis. Which is maybe the point of the book.

Not sure what the next book will be, maybe Racing Weight to go back to non-fiction, and something fiction after (hell, maybe I'll do a real book club).

ButterflyEffect  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy New Year everyone!

Can you develop new sets of friends via, for instance, work?

Work is a poor example but I get exactly where you're coming from. Most of co-workers are married/older/generally not people I want to see outside of work. Brachiating is a good visual.