ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Just Don't Drink Coffee

What roaster did you pick up?

demure  ·  15 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Freshroast SR 500. Operating principle is that of a fancy popcorn popper. Chaff collector, variable heat, fan speed and timing.

ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Just Don't Drink Coffee

You can key in on the one mention at Starbucks, or you can key in on the 95% of the response that relates to either making my own coffee or going to what should be the same kind of shops as the author of this article.

But, maybe that's just SoCal for you.

barista said that the acidity from this coffee is "really wonderful and fruit-forward, like Hawaiian Punch micro-dosed with LSD."

and how it was processed, because you don't want any of those weird or off flavors you get sometimes with natural coffees, which would ruin everything.

Ya know why your coffee is "really wonderful and fruit-forward", probably because it was either a natural or honey processed coffee.

As long as the grind is perfectly dialed in, the water correctly heated to the precise temperature, and your drip technique as graceful and measured as the lines of the gooseneck kettle you're pouring water from, everything will turn out just fine.

Yeah, so, this really isn't that hard of a thing if you really give a shit about it and have the budget. If you don't have the budget but give a shit it'll still be good coffee, and if you don't give a shit, you don't give a shit.

Sure, the barista who you see every time scowls at you, and he always asks if you want milk and sugar in your coffee, and it’s not because he's trying to be chill and accommodating to regular people who just want some coffee the way they've been drinking it their entire lives, but because one time a friend of yours gently asked if she could have some of the shop's flavored syrup in her iced coffee, thereby obligating the barista to explain that a cup of coffee is the singular and miraculous end product of a process that involved the labor of dozens of people stretched across an extraordinarily long supply chain that reaches halfway around the world, and it shouldn't really be covered up with sugar syrup, which is only on the menu for the rubes, anyway.

Is this a real thing that happens? Is this, like, specific to LA or something? Because I've never actually had this kind of experience, third wave shop or otherwise.

but he just mumbled that it wasn’t dialed in and so he wouldn’t serve it, and you’ve been beaten down ever since.

See above.

But the lines are so long, and you're right, you don't have thirty minutes to waste looking at Instagram while you wait for that guy to dourly make your coffee.

Uhhh I think the longest I've ever waited for a coffee was...10 minutes? At the original Verve in Santa Cruz, and it's because I was the guy ordering the super-special $8 cup of coffee" and you know what??? It was an amazing experience, and maybe one of the most complex coffees I've ever had.

You know what - fuck this article. If this is the "millennial" experience when it comes to coffee then I am clearly missing something, because this is not even an outlier experience for me. Even at a Starbucks, local third-wave shop, you name it. Does it exist? Yeah, probably, but who the fuck cares. Drink your coffee, shut up, stop overthinking it, and enjoy it.

Jesus, this article annoyed me on a level that makes me relate to kleinbl00. The one thing I disagree is the Chemex being dumb - it's a great way to make coffee. But so is everything else if you have fresh beans and the right grind.

I take umbrage with Chemex because it's effectively this but without the advantages of being dishwasher-safe and easy to clean.

I'm the worst kind of coffee snob - a basic bitch that values beans.

Is this a real thing that happens? Is this, like, specific to LA or something?

My experience, even at shitholes like Intelligentsia, is that they'll happily sell you extra shit because it means they can charge you more which means their tips are bigger. But then, everyone in LA is slinging coffee while waiting for their agent to call back so they aren't true believers.

These guys are true believers.

Looking back on it, I've come around to the theory that the barista there took one look at me and told herself "Oh shit this guy is going to HATE our coffee" and was fighting a defensive battle from the get-go.

Uhhh I think the longest I've ever waited for a coffee was...10 minutes?

I waited 25 minutes for my girlfriend's latte at the time. The original coffee shop that had been there ten years had died ignominiously and Starbuck's had totally taken off (side note: dated a girl from Tacoma back in New Mexico and we went to see Sleepless in Seattle together; she pointed at the Starbuck's logo in one scene and said "you'll be seeing a lot of that soon") but Los Alamos didn't have one yet so this earnest old pharmacist wrestled a brand-new Gaggia for easily four songs trying to coax this miraculous new form of beverage from it. They were so eager it was endearing. Well, to me, anyway. The girlfriend had no idea why it took 25 minutes to make a latte.

zebra2  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh man, I didn't think people would find this parody so alien. It's a hilarious summation of basically every artisan coffee place in southern CA. It's a caricature, sure, but I've witnessed some variant of every bit the author takes a potshot at.

But I guess if you're saying

Even at a Starbucks

then this will probably be unrelatable.

ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

But, maybe that's just SoCal for you.

Naaah c'mon man even Bulletproof would be pissed off at this article and Bulletproof is a self-parody.

zebra2  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, I don't know if I buy that really.

I'm 99% sure that if I showed this to the "remarkable local roaster who operates quasi-legally out of a sick loft and specializes in light—but not too light!—roasts" that I know, he'd get a kick out of it.

It seems all the coffee aficionados that eschew pompous coffee culture have their panties in a bunch about it, though.

all the coffee aficionados that eschew pompous coffee culture

I wonder why

Alright, I'll read the damn article.

$3/lb?!?! What?!

Dude, right? Fuckin' Super King Armenian. Roasted, like, 20 minutes ago, go half dark roast half light roast like a native.

Super King is the one good thing about where I live. I head over there and buy cheap-ass coffee, a dozen or so $1.59 ea 20Oz Baltika 7s, impossibly-cheap nuts'n'shit and these crazy nut'n'sugar treats that look like dog chews. And the off-cuts from their cheese counter for $2.99/lb.

zebra2  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Alright, apparently I need to check out Super King.

DOOD

EDIT weekends can be nutzo. And fuckin' hell if you're close enough to hit Super King we need to grab a beer.

zebra2  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

The closest one to me is in Claremont, but I am indeed within striking distance of basically all their stores.

Shit you live in outer space. But hey, you have a car. We'll figure something out.

zebra2  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I go back and forth from Riverside twice a week on top of my regular commute in the opposite direction, so LA is no biggie.

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

The same one for next year. Then a friend and I think will be running a 50k together in Oregon this November. The cutoff times are slightly less aggressive than the 50k I'm running at the end of July, so that's promising. Easier course, too. Running that marathon has, at least in the short term, changed the way I look at certain things. Especially myself. Yesterday I looked in my closet, saw my mountaineering boots and running clothing, and felt something more of an identity than I've felt in a while.

That's a good question, I'll hopefully have a better way of answering that after a couple of more dates with her.

WanderingEng  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

There's probably a really interesting discussion there about identity. I still sort of struggle to identify as a runner. I'm just someone who runs. I don't have a 26.2 sticker on my car, but I do have a 46er sticker.

There's a run-bike-run duathlon here in a couple weeks. While I have no identity with duathlons, I'm intrigued. It's 2-25.3-2. I have a nice but not pro or tri bike, and I've never done a transition.

For eight years I refused to put on a helmet while riding a bicycle in Los Angeles. Why? I refused to associate myself with those people.

They still bug me no end. I was commuting home one day and three humorless fucks ripped by me... and then slowed down so I passed them. Then there was a downhill so they ripped by me... and then slowed down so I passed them. Then there was another downhill so they ripped by me... and then slowed down.

As I passed them I said

You know, you guys could say hi or some shit like we like each other. I mean, you've been failing to taillight me for ten miles now.

They mumbled "sorry" and fell the fuck back.

Fucking hate LA bikers.

Uhm.

I ran a MARATHON this week, and signed up for another... And will probably run a 2nd 50k this year. And am going climbing outdoors after work today. Because the pacific northwest is the best place in the goddamn world for me right now. This year is shaping up so much better than I could have hoped for despite the set backs. I want to keep that momentum going.

Went on a couple of dates with a girl this past week, and realized a key component was missing from my last relationship. There wasn't enough of an "edge" to it, and I think I understand why people break up with nice guys a lot better now...

WanderingEng  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Which did you sign up for? Feeling like signing up just a couple days after is impressive. It took me over a month!

What do you mean by "edge?"

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

As I passed them I said

They mumbled "sorry" and fell the fuck back.

Fucking hate LA bikers.

ButterflyEffect  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 2018 Seattle Rock 'N' Roll Marathon

It did! I ate too much though, and ate too much throughout the day. Plenty of pasta, threw in some cabbage on the side, and had one pint of beer with some friends around 7:30pm.

Milwaukee is a full, right? What's it even like there in October? Decent running weather?

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yep, it's a full. It's point-to-point. They bus you north to the start and then you run due south and average downhill to downtown. Weather is usually mild, neither hot or cold, and if there's wind it's usually a cross wind. I picked it as being nearby, a change of scenery, and famously good for PRs.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm hoping for personal improvement this fall. I was happy with my finish but think I can do better.

Thanks!!! It's progressed a lot in the past two years, amazing to look back on things. Hopefully Sean see's this, I'm excited to hear about his first marathon!

ButterflyEffect  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 2018 Seattle Rock 'N' Roll Marathon

GUs do horrible, no good things to my stomach. A theme is that I have a sensitive stomach. Nutrition today involved the pre race banana and coffee, and during the race: Balance Bars, Honey Stinger Waffles, and Limeade Stinger Energy Chews. Plenty of water and Gatorade as well.

Thanks for the congrats, badge, and watching in real time. I definitely felt aware of that a couple of times during this race. This course was honestly harder than I thought it would be, there was no end to the hills in the second half.

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

One more nutrition question! Did your Saturday night meal work well? I sometimes eat sort of light the night before, and I think I maybe need to do more pasta.

Your report has me itching to do another, even knowing I'm signed up for Milwaukee just four months away.

ButterflyEffect  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: All the lighthouses [US and CAN]

Whoa holy crap this is beautiful. What did you use to make it?

veen  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

I made it with ArcGIS Pro and some open datasets!

ButterflyEffect  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: After Evergreen

Reading back on my 2+ year old comments...

...oof...

As I recall that was an epically bad weekend for you.

ButterflyEffect  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: All the lighthouses [US and CAN]

but the lighthouse keepers were caught between a rock and a hard place

Har har har...you know the author was pleased with that pun. Light houses and maps are two things I enjoy a lot, thanks for sharing this.

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sherpa Dies on Everest During ASKfm Publicity Stunt

The climbers brought one of the Ledgers back down, and its $50,000 in tokens will be raffled off to whitelisted members, those who have pre-registered for the ICO. They left the other Ledger with $50,000 in tokens buried somewhere on the summit. In a slightly unnerving, robotically-narrated video promoting the stunt, ASKfm encourages crypto enthusiasts: “If you’re brave enough, go get them.”

Fuck everything about this. It's morally reprehensible, irresponsible, and naive to even consider doing something like this.

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Death in the Alpine

100% yes. Amazing film, you'll love it.