We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

Well we can definitely say the internet helped push things along for Trump so maybe you're right.

I don't disagree with you. But I also never said that it doesn't make a difference to the individual. I'm talking about actionable discussion or change on a larger scale and society/community wide, which you acknowledged. Two very different things.

oyster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think it starts with individuals though and slowly becomes a more society wide change. Things don't change over night, people devote entire lifetimes to making small changes because it takes a while to really change society.

I mean Australia still hasn't legalized gay marriage. Progress is slow with or without technology. If anything I would say technology, or I guess the access to information it provides helps move things along faster.

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah, I think that's where we disagree. While that may be the point, I do not see this actually opening up a conversation. Where is the outlet for a conversation to start? There is a statement, and an awful one at that, but a status and a handful of comments on Facebook makes not a lasting, impactful conversation. The quote veen pulled out of Reclaiming Conversation (and there are many, many other applicable quotes) call into question if we are really making progress, truly conversing with one another. In a few months I think we will see if that is the case or not with the recent "Me Too" campaign.

oyster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's not likely to have an impact on you because you aren't a creepy guy or a woman who has been harassed. I'm not sure if it makes a difference on a bigger scale but I know that it does make a difference to individuals. Sometimes talking about this stuff opens up a conversation off the internet as well. Sometimes being able to share something like that in even the vaguest details is incredibly cathartic especially for women who have struggled to even put words to what happened to them. It's common to jump back and forth between knowing you were assaulted and thinking you're just overreacting because others had it worse. So putting a statement like that out can mean a lot to individual women and it can mean a lot to the woman who resonates with it when the post has some more detail.

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

oyster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Stock trend since 2009 doesn't seem too different from Walmart, really. Is a shift towards a permanent underclass a cause or symptom of the recession? Did the investment class see the bank bailouts, economic shifts, etc. etc. in 2008 and realize a vast swath of people are screwed, or are they screwed because of the actions of the investment class? Seems like a chicken and the egg scenario. Also, what happens to the people of Decatur, AK the next time the economy does bottom out?

Stock trend since 2009 doesn't seem too different from Walmart, really.

ORLY.

Walmart: up 62%. Dollar General: up 263%. Dollar General has doubled the Dow, while Walmart has underperformed it.

For the people of Decatur, the economy never came back. Another plummet is just gonna hit 'em harder.

ButterflyEffect  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 18, 2017

I'm going to be reading that immediately following this book. I think.

Oh, what are you running!?

WanderingEng  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm doing the Madison Marathon on November 12. It has a couple nice hills. The hill at mile 9 is a bit tough. It should be clear sailing from mile 9 to past mile 15. Mile 15 through 19 is what worries me most. It's a series of increasing hills. There's one more hill at mile 22, but that worries me less. If I can get to the bottom of that hill, I can get to the top. If I can get to the top, I can get to the finish.

I'm very familiar with the course, but the challenge of that first 19 miles to see how much I suffer in the last seven will be interesting.

I'm not going to do a long run this weekend, but I'll do one more 20+ mile run in a week. Then two weeks of taper.

rocketyak  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good luck! Sounds like you've got a handle on it. Start slow and get enough fuel and you'll be fine =)

Good luck with the marathon! Put together a race report or something if you have the time, I would love to read more on how it goes!

Scattered.

Media

I've started reading Reclaiming Conversation, and it's making me think a lot. Heading into the read I had already been thinking a lot about my relationship with media and technology, and feeling that it's not that healthy. Last night I made a decision to ditch Facebook with the exception of a page I manage, and to RSVP to events. No more posts, comments, photos, etc. I need to get away from my phone more. We need to get away from our phones more and pay attention to each other. Listing example after example which I have personally contributed to or encountered would be easy, but everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about, so it's pointless. veen what kind of impact did this book have on you?

More Media

What has/what will the recent "Me Too" social media campaign accomplish? What will social media activism ever accomplish?

On Being Selfish

Came to the realization that having goals, intense desires, and devoting your time to accomplishing them is not being selfish. I'm not imposing any of this on anybody else, it's all on myself. If that means a relationship fails, or an interpersonal connection suffers, that is not being selfish. It is a matter of life getting in the way. There's a huge difference there.

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

What has/what will the recent "Me Too" social media campaign accomplish?

I believe the point is to showcase how widespread the problem is. That it’s not only limited to slutty Hollywood actresses, but perhaps your sister, classmates and best friends too. Hopefully some people will open their eyes, and say “bro that’s not cool“ next time their buddy cat calls someone?

The point is to start a conversation about respect. I don’t know if many minds will change, but perhaps seeing it as a society-wide problem VS an isolated one will help.

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

oyster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

oyster  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

veen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Where to start... I jotted this quote down, which might be a good starting point:

Digital communication gives us the illusion of companionship, without the demands of friendship; it gives us the illusion of progress, without the demands of action.

The focal point of her book, in my opinion, is that she describes our generation's 'flight from conversation'. She doesn't beat around the bush: we've willfully eroded and replaced valuable, face-to-face conversation in favor of easier, more comfortable but less meaningful digital communication.

She uses a bunch of archetypes to hit her point home, for example when she describes the friend group where most people are glued to their phones most of the time. Or when she describes the 'always-connectedness' of highschoolers. Or when she describes teenagers unwilling to call because that conversation might not be perfect, preferring the comfort of a well-crafted email instead. Or the girl demanding that her parents stop using their phones and just talk to her.

I am so guilty of the behaviours she describes. Obviously not to the extent she describes, but to an extent that I'm ashamed of. Because I bought into the aforementioned illusions of digital communications, the book felt like someone pulled the rug out from under me. As an example, I always loathed and avoided phone calls like a lot of my peers. So even though I've been living out of the house for years now, I've never called my family to just talk about how things are going. That was probably the first thing I drastically changed — I now call my parents at least once a week, usually more.

If you really wanna feel bad, read Alone Together. I feel that Reclaiming Conversation was her attempt, per her publisher's request, to sketch out a silver lining of the very dark cloud she saw forming over society.

ButterflyEffect  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm going to be reading that immediately following this book. I think.

veen  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have read Alone Together a year or two ago but wasn't as impressed with it as I am with this one. If I remember correctly, she made some interesting points about how we interact with technology, e.g. our ability to do the heavy lifting when humanizing AI and robots. What made you feel so bad when reading it?

The inevitable drive towards a technology that, by her own investigation, we are hopeless to humanize and her steady qualification of her studies over the past 30 years indicating that human empathy has declined in lock-step with our adoption of technology.

ButterflyEffect  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are you scared of?

I've wondered what it would be like to be 'healthy' since I was a child. It moves me to tears every time I let myself stray too far down that path.

I'd like to think that everybody has their own definition of what "healthy" is. Physically, mentally, emotionally, they all mean different things to different people. You likely have a much better idea of what that means to you than most other people do.

OftenBen  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

I suppose.

I vacillate between 'Everything that has ever gone wrong for me starts and ends with having a shitty heart. Were it not for that, I could have socialized more and appropriately as a small child, developed the competitive mindset necessary for healthy self-image in contemporary America, etc' and 'Even if I was healthy I'd likely be the same vaguely dissatisfied asshole that I am now but a lot less interesting and sympathetic, and without many of the valuable connections that have helped me professionally.'

The truth, as always, is likely somewhere between.

By losing themselves in the crowd, is that Emerson's way of saying they become complacent, or too comfortable in their own living?

ButterflyEffect  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: End of the Road: Will automation put an end to the American Trucker?

On the flip side, you could see companies start to push for automation because of those exact reasons. It removes a level of uncertainty from your supply chain (when will my truck actually arrive, versus when was it scheduled to arrive, versus dock pick-ups, etc.). Would also eliminate the risk of cross-docking loads en route to the recipient. Lots of little technical things which could be solved or at least clarified by tricking automation. Sure, the truck companies might not love going in that direction, but I think all the customers would.

ButterflyEffect  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 11, 2017

Do you have the intent on owning a pub sometime in the future? Congrats on the sisters house. Having occasionally helped out, and very occasionally born witness to, a complete interior remodeling of a house, that is no joke of a task.

It bothers me to no end that I feel guilty about having my kid doing daycare at a private school even though it's a non-profit and we're on scholarship and that I'm wracked with guilt over the thought of buying a 16-year-old sports car even though it costs less than a mutherfucking Prius. And I don't even know who to be mad at.

Hmm. Why feel guilty about the private school thing? Especially since it's a nonprofit which I'm sure is doing a lot of good work for the community it serves (or, at least, I hope it is). The Porsche thing I can kind of understand, given appearances.

ButterflyEffect  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 11, 2017

Trying to move towards not taking things personally. A lot of that change is stemming from the impossibility of getting people to come from Seattle to anywhere that's not Seattle, and also a recent event wherein a friend is putting me in a position to chose between a couple of different things when we had already made previous plans. It's nothing about me, against me, it's about them. People make their own choices, and they are responsible for them. And that's okay, just have to keep living my life.

ButterflyEffect  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Today's Writing Prompt: This Is What It's Like

This is what it's like

You take the first step out of your room

And the next leads you into the street

Where the people you see and the people you meet

Are the people you leave and you leave and you leave

You've tried to get by and fade into the night

The smiles you see are trying to say

We've been watching you and we don't like what we see

But you're too far into this now and you wanted to know

Is this what it's like to be and to be

When everyone else is just trying to speak

You hold that glazed look in your eye

Well you're trying to lie

"Yes I'm doing alright it's just a bit of a phase"

When you wake up you'll feel like you're making a hit