ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Random opinions about alcohol

There's a lot of shit sours out there. But give me a good Flanders red or Gose and I'll more than happily drink it.

moslydeaf  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

If you ever see an Andreson Valley Gose I recommend them. The Kimmy the Yink and The Holy Gose is probably my favorite craft beer ever. Salty and sour with citrus. Weird flavors but great for summer

I bring cinnamon whiskey with me in a flask on mountaineering trips :(

ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, has died

This was my first memorable exposure to Aretha Franklin (also - this movie is incredible in every way)

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Shooting that scene was an absolute nightmare for the director. Because Aretha never sang a song the same way twice. She was always riffing on the words, and structure, and playing with it.

But they needed her to do it the same way several times in a row, to get the multiple camera angles and shots they needed to make the scene work.

The director, John Landis, would get a shot, and set up for another angle, and then tell her to do it the same way, and she couldn't remember what she'd done in the previous scene. She just sang every song honestly, heart-felt, and completely in the moment. And then later on, when asked to reproduce the same thing, she was at a total loss because she was no longer in THAT moment.

She was a wonderful artist.

Side note:

Back in the 1980's I was in a band with some famous people. We were going into the recording studio, and there was a chance that Aretha was going to come and guest on one of our songs! She was supposed to be in San Francisco (where I lived) for a show, but this was during the era where she was afraid to fly. Unfortunately, the logistics of getting her from NYC to SF for a show was just too much, and her appearance was cancelled.

So we didn't get to record with her.

And since we were kinda nobodys, and it was the mystique of Aretha that got us on the schedule in the recording studio, our time was bumped and given to someone who could pay more for it.

So that band never committed anything to tape. :-(

ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Leg flexibility and strengthening exercises

I do resisted ankle inversions/eversions/dorsiflexions, single leg balance exercises, and have found a way of stretching our muscles/tendons down around my ankle/achilles. The last 4 exercises on this link!

WanderingEng  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! I haven't tried balancing on a pillow, and it looks like it'll be really good. My ankles don't hurt but they often feel stiff in the morning.

If you have a good PT she'll tell you to keep doing them. After a while you likely won't need to do them daily. I still stretch every single day regardless of exercising, and do exercises similar to what you have listed, and ankle ones, a minimum of two times a week. It works!

WanderingEng  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

What ankle ones do you do? I've been thinking about adding some ankle flexibility/strengthening.

ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 15, 2018

It sucks for now, but as you continue to rehab you will be stronger and better than ever. The next races and training regiment will be that much better.

WanderingEng  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree. In a way I'm optimistic that I can come out of this with more satisfying results. It'll take some rebuilding and adoption of new workouts, but if I want to run 120 miles every month, that's what it'll take.

Remember the conversation we had a couple months back about how everyone posts amazing summit views but nobody posts the super sketchy ledge or swampy trail, and viewers can be lulled into thinking it's safe and easy? I think I fell into that trap with running. I did a few different workouts but didn't do everything I should. Running 15 miles makes for a nice social media post (or even just a private data point). The same isn't true of groaning over a rubber band or stretching with a strap. It's boring, so people don't really talk about it and in the same way, I never sought it out.

I'm doing four rubber band things, three stretches with a strap, calf stretches, and foam rolling. My legs are way too tight. I'll write it out as a separate post if you or anyone else would find it useful.

OftenBen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would find a leg stretching/relaxing guide immensely useful!

WanderingEng  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I posted a description of what I do here:

Let me know what isn't clear! I had the advantage of a professional demonstrating, so I'm sure my descriptions could be improved.

I'm tired pretty much everyday. Getting through and complaining about communication. My climbing has gotten better lately, so that's good. Though it's starting to feel like I'm either growing into a stereotype, or growing into myself. Lots of people have been commenting on how I "just look like a climber" by nature of being tall, lanky, and long arms.

I'm feeling good about that, and more confident in my abilities at least indoors. Haven't been outdoors much lately but the last I did go it went well. Scrambling on mountains with exposure to long falls still freaks me out a bit, but that will come with time. I am still, perpetually, forever trying to learn how to balance a relationship with the outdoor and running things I partake in.

rezzeJ  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Scrambling on mountains with exposure to long falls still freaks me out a bit

I think this is one of those things that you should always be at least a little freaked out by, even if it dulls with time. It's that feeling that keeps you wary and on your toes.

Cumol  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Climbing and running.

Climbing when it works out with my buddies.

Bouldering when I feel like climbing but it doesn't work out with my buddies.

Running when I need to let my brain loose and not in the mood for climbing.

Viaskin failed efficacy, by the way. It doesn't fuckin' work. AR101? It mostly works. But for some people it's still rugged AF. It's like "would you like a minor attack every day or a major attack when you least expect it?" Racing pulses, shortness of breath, aggro shit. But then, it's basically peanut protein powder. It's not a pill. You mix it with food. You'd think you could ask shit like this if you're writing an article about it.

Dude, I would way rather have a minor attack. This article is complete bullshit, agreed. I feel completely powerless against food allergies, and it's bizarr-o since they've developed in the past year plus and are usually severe, exactly what you stated in the quote above. Give me some real news or studies on this and then it will be exciting.

It's hard though, man.

I've been poisoning my daughter for two years. Yeah, it's building her immunity but it really is a case of telling someone who trusts you implicitly with their life to keep eating something that makes their throat hurt, makes it hard to breathe, makes them feel like they're going to throw up, makes their heart race.

Fortunately she's had no real reaction since reaching the maintenance dose and now she wolfs the shit down like she's getting paid (in a way she is - we recently instituted a token economy). But from everything I hear, we got off super-light. Lots of kids are full-on benadryl dependent and they're all older - they're eight or nine or ten or twelve and by the way, you have to take your dose after you're done with the day but at least three hours before bedtime and then you can't exert yourself which means after-school activities of any kind are out.

Yeah. It kicks the shit out of having her uncontrollably vomit when a parent volunteer accidentally gives her a peanut butter granola bar. It beats the ever-loving jesus out of having her stare at me when I accidentally give her a gluten-free cookie that oopsie got made with coconut flour. But the reactions she had, caused by me, tore me up pretty good.

You have to write them all down. Every day. Attach additional pages as necessary.

Dude I am so doing this. That's an amazing idea.

Fuckin' VOTE. It's the only thing the goddamn boomers have over you. They don't even have the numbers anymore (and us GenXers never did) but they've been running things for so long that if you listen to them they'll grind you into powder.

Voted in the primary this past week. Voter turnout was 23.45%. Yeah, it's a primary, but fuck you if you surrender putting a candidate on a ballot come election season. I can't see an age or demographic breakdown of voting, unfortunately. I'm so aggravated over this considering:

1. Ballots were mailed weeks prior to the voting deadline.

2. Ballots were mailed with paid postage and with a pamphlet describing each candidate in each race and ballot box locations.

3. I can't figure out a way of berating everyone on why this is important. But I want to scream at all of my friends and colleagues who just...decided not to participate...these are educated people. Hopefully they'll vote come November. We'll see.

I've thrown voting parties in the past. It's a tradition I learned from my uncle. Order pizza, buy 2buck Chuck, invite everybody to bring their ballots and voter guides and hash it out.

I'd love that tradition to catch on.

HeroicGomez  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

... in mail-in/absentee states, of course ;)

You could theoretically do this in states where voting is more traditional, but it's a lot harder to ensure people take their prepared ballot lists to a polling place and actually do it.

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dude I am so doing this. That's an amazing idea.

goobster  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fuck it. I'm doing this next time. Great idea. And my house is a great place to entertain a lot of people.

Shit dude haven't you been to them? I swear you were at a couple.

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 8, 2018

For the most part, volunteers are only worth as much as you pay them. It's a sad thing to say, but universally true. While there are bright sparks from time to time, who will uplift your heart and validate all your efforts, they too will fade over time and eventually fail you.

Appreciate the advice, especially this bit. Would you be open to a PM with some more specific details? I'm interested if you already know the event we put on (it's in the South Sound).

goobster  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Always happy to help a fellow supporter of nonprofit success! Feel free to message me.

Where are you these days, anyway? Germany? USA? Still doing anything radio related?

galen  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Germany forever. Transferred here full time to finish my bachelor, albeit in English & American Studies. After that hopefully either Dramaturgy studies or continuing the path towards English professor.

Radio not as much these days, been meaning to look into the station here, but they're pretty small & internet-only anyway. Izzy's taking over back home, since I abandoned ship :/

Living my best life though, so that's nice

and the gist of it is that i've been really, really angry at everyone and everything around me and it's nice to not have to be that anymore

last night i went to my second-to-last therapy visit and i said to her "you know, this is a lot easier now that everything is going so well - i barely have anything to talk about" and everything really is going quite well

I don't really have much of anything to offer, but I'm happy for you and hope things continue to go well! Enjoy the day.

Quatrarius  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

i appreciate you saying so

I want to ax the entire board of my nonprofit except for one other person, and start over. That's harsh, but it's where I am at. It should not take 36 hours and counting to receive a response from a text message I sent out to two people asking about proper attendance for a meeting, so now I'm just running with it. And just about everything else. Setting agendas, leading meetings, if I didn't care about this nonprofit as a net positive for the city I live in, I'd let it die. But I'm going to drag this fuckin' thing kicking and screaming through the next year if I have to. Meanwhile we're still basically fuckin' broke and have not nearly enough board members. I have three meetings the upcoming two weeks to rectify one of those issues, which will in turn hopefully solve the other. We need a 3-5 year plan, very, very badly and I only have so much time.

...

Went on a sunset hike up at Mt. Rainier with a great group of folks, and assembled tacos while we were up there. Had some laughs and more serious conversations about relationships. A lot of age gap questions and comments, since our group had people between 23 and 39 in it. My thought is that an "acceptable" age gap for dating and relationships really depends on where you're at in life. Funny that two of the guys had a much wider range than myself or most of the girls.

goobster  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have oodles of non-profit experience, and know of what you speak.

Non-profit success comes from making simple plans, with easily achievable goals, in short timeframes. Aim low: succeed. Aim low again: succeed again.

Progress is turtle-slow, but it works for two key reasons:

1. Volunteers spend a short amount of time, and see their efforts have a meaningful effect. This gets them to come back and volunteer again.

2. "Big thinkers" get turned off and go away, and the more boring - but trustworthy - people who actually DO THINGS will stay. And do things. While the Big Picture People will be off pontificating and talking about 5-year plans, your meagre army of drone-like functionaries will push the ball ever forward. (See #1 above.)

Take time for yourself. Don't burn yourself out. Slow and steady wins in the end. Good luck.

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·