We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 16, 2017

I wasn't prepared to whine about my life for another day, dammit, Pubski!

Went to a music festival this past weekend in Missoula. It was a special experience, perfect size crowd-wise, everybody was having a good time including the bands. I kept running into interesting people and the musicians themselves since it wasn't some massive "Coachella-esque" festival. And I'm single again, so that's a thing for the better, I think.

FAKE PUBSKI

ButterflyEffect  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 9, 2017

Many of us have invested in ETH at some point over the last two to three years. insomniasexx is the developer behind myetherwallet and is very involved in the ETH community.

ButterflyEffect  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 9, 2017

His stories often deal with characters going through (trans)formative times in their lives, and contain a good amount of philosophy and metaphor.

This doesn't sound too dissimilar from Kundera, whom I love. I think I will start with Narcissus and Goldmund or Siddhartha. The reading list keeps growing...

Sorry, this comment is private.
ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 9, 2017

mk am I missing something, when did this become a "discuss" button and "contribute" button?

Whoa. Welcome back, Cumol! It's good to see you here again.

There's something about being outdoors that's exceedingly human. I think that running, in particular, is one of the most human activities. Other animals sprint, dig, fight, etc., but very few are built for distances the way a person is. And yet it seems like very few people take advantage of that. The relationships question is a big one. I just saw your post and have a question for you, as it's a problem I have as well. What is it that causes you to lose interest after a few weeks?

Nope! I've never even (knowingly) heard of Hermann Hesse before. Any recommendations on a good place to start with him?

rezzeJ  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

As a Hesse fan, please excuse me barging into this conversation. The works of his I'd most recommend are: Narcissus and Goldmund, Steppenwolf, and his magnum opus The Glass Bead Game (for which he won the Nobel Prize in Literature). In fact, it was in that order that I read those works of his.

ButterflyEffect  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Cumol  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I read Siddhartha first which I inhaled. A short but good read. Then I read Steppenwolf. This took me a while but I think this is my favorite of him. I just finished Narziß und Goldmund lately and think it is fabulous too.

He is very good at telling stories of characters and how they pass through their lives.

mk  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Last night.

How have you not read Born to Run yet

Reflecting on a lot of things. A year and a half ago I barely hiked or ran, and now that's mostly what I do in my free time. Guitar has taken a back seat, though I think a lot of that and my angst about radio are justified given my experiences in those scenes in the PNW (oh no). Whereas the running and outdoors community have been much more down to Earth and friendly. However, has this resulted in me not necessarily wanting to be in a relationship? Or more unable to be in one than in the past. For a while, yes, thought I wanted one and it would be great but now that I've been in one for a few months, that's not necessarily the case. Or maybe the bigger problem is I hadn't given enough thought as to what I want in/from a relationship.

Or is it that I have ventured so far into those communities that it has cut me off from being romantically viable/compatible with people not in those communities. Unrelated friends/people at restaurants/people at bars keep making this assumption that I'm dating person X, Y, etc. when we're out after a run or whatever.

What do I want.

Cumol  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Again, I feel like whenever I come back to read a comment or post from you, we seem to run in parallel. I can connect to how you feel. I also mainly run, hike or climb in my free time and have similar thoughts about relationships.

Oh dear elders, come and guide us.

Have you ever read Hermann Hesse?

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Whoa. Welcome back, Cumol! It's good to see you here again.

rezzeJ  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Cumol  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Last night.

How have you not read Born to Run yet

ButterflyEffect  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: RGM Watch Company: An American in-house manufacturing case study

See you in fifteen years or so.

ButterflyEffect  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New to Hubski? Old to Hubski? Can't post? Come on in, let's discuss.

There's no spam on global. Great! I'm just concerned about a member of over 2 years not being able to post. There is clearly room for improvement.

Yep, we completely agree on that. Any thoughts on how to improve this? The original workaround was well, people will just promote users!

The more trip reports the better!

nowaypablo  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

It would be pretty degrading to tell newcomers or current members that they have to comment on another's post for a promotion, but that's probably what I would have done if I was in the newcomer's situation.

In the case of a long-time user, I think the muting thing needs to have a time limit.

ButterflyEffect  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New to Hubski? Old to Hubski? Can't post? Come on in, let's discuss.

Hey. Damn right you haven't. So, check out global feed. See any spam?

The downside: If a user hasn't commented to the point of getting a hub wheel, or being promoted by an active user, they don't get to make a post. There's probably a happier medium in there.

nowaypablo  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm on break for the next week so I decided to hop on here and there. I've got a trip report or two as well that I may put together soon.

ButterflyEffect  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

The more trip reports the better!

nowaypablo  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome. I would love to read your report. The PCT is a dream of mine.

ButterflyEffect  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How The Dairy Industry Gets Its Cheddar

Are you in the "milk after a run" club too?

WanderingEng  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am. I never thought about it specifically, but yes. Most longer runs in Wisconsin give out chocolate milk along with the traditional banana at the end, and I drink both milk and water after my own training runs (though during the week I run between work and dinner, so it's also just milk with dinner). I feel like the milk helps, but it's so hard to pin down any one thing as helping or hurting. I've read about athletes being paranoid about food (Usain Bolt eating McNuggets at the Olympics comes to mind), and I can see why.

What is it about a watch that makes it worth half a million dollars?

It's one of the papers that lead to the buildup of Bitcoin (maybe mk can find it), the argument is made that all money is nothing more than a measure of invested time. The reason coins are ornate is partly to protect against counterfeiting, but also because ornateness implies value. Hand-carved goldsmithing simply looks valuable. When you see a piece of craftsmanship, be it a bunch of faceted diamonds in a well-tooled band or a double-tourbillon Richard Mille, you understand that it wasn't made instantly.

See this guy?

To you or me it doesn't look like much but we aren't within the signaling cohort. The purchasers of this watch are not trying to impress thee or me. They are trying to impress other overly-wealthy individuals that know that 4Ns are manufactured by seven master watchmakers at Audemars-Piguet over the span of four months per watch, and that there will someday be sixteen of them, but there aren't yet.

ButterflyEffect  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Trip Report: Jasper and Banff National Parks, Alberta, CA

Major Gear

Osprey Aether AG 70L. Amazing pack. The anti-gravity systems does such a good job reducing the load on your body. The top-lid is a convertible day pack. There's a ton of room, and it's versatile enough that I could use it for 3 day trips or 2 week trips if I really wanted to. Can't recommend this pack enough.

Nemo Galaxi 2. Okay, so, this tent is amazing for camping. But it sucks for backpacking. It's too heavy, and the stuff sack it came with was barely big enough to fit everything, to the point it ripped on my last day out there. Definitely getting a lightweight one person tent in the future.

Marmot Trestles 15 Sleeping Bag. See above. It's a great sleeping bag for camping. Not so great for backpacking. It's not necessarily the weight, so much as it's way too bulky even when it's rolled up. I'd like to get a down sleeping bag in the future to keep weight and space down.

Food

Note: There was a fire ban in effect otherwise this would have worked out a bit different.

Snacks:

Made my own trail mix! Lots of peanuts, coconut flakes, mango slices (Trader Joes has some great "Just Mango" slices that are very high in Vitamin A). Protein Bars. Banana Chips...so many banana chips...energy gel.

Breakfast:

Oatmeal and/or Protein Bars. I tried instant coffee but at elevation it affects me a lot and isn't a good time, so I stopped that pretty quick. I think I'm going to try dehydrated milk and more products from Nuun/GU.

Lunch:

Pasta, whole wheat tortillas with almond butter, things along those lines.

Dinner:

Lentil and split pea soup, mac and cheese, rice and beans, lots of carbs and enough protein to get by. With the trail mix adding fat over the course of the day I generally wasn't too hungry, but I think I need to revisit to have more vitamins in the mix.

Routes

I was surprised by how well marked everything was! I had topographic maps and a compass, but was able to navigate pretty easily without them. There weren't any points where I was completely turned around or missed the trail. With how many backcountry sites there are up there you'd likely hit one eventually even if you were lost.

Nope, no canister requirements! Thank God, those things are bulky and heavy! They are required in parts of WA state though, so I own one anyway. The bear poles are really, really nice. No traction issues but if I went a month earlier crampons or micro-spikes would have been a necessity. The snow was melted down enough and soft enough that you could walk across with hiking shoes and trekking poles no problem!

violinist  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you’re looking for a lightweight 1 person tent, I highly recommend the TarpTent Notch. I used it on my section hike of the PCT Washington section (traveling home from that right now), and it was fantastic. Full trip report to follow once I get home, sort through pictures, and have an actual computer keyboard to type on.

WanderingEng  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have an Osprey Atmos 65 AG! I completely agree on the anti-gravity suspension. I actually have the 50L version, too, and I took that up and over Algonquin and Iroquois peaks. My legs were destroyed by the elevation gain and especially the decent with the full weight, but my shoulders and back were just fine.

Yeah, that Nemo tent looks heavy for backpacking. It's all relative, but it's heavier than others. I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1, and I'm pretty sure it's one of the lightest tents. I'm still getting used to the idea of my pack being outside all night, but the tent is great.

My sleeping bag has a pretty low (i.e. not suitable for cold nights) rating. I should spend some time researching them and finding a better option.

With the fire ban, were you using a little stove? I have an Esbit one that's tiny and portable. It's only good for water, but for one person it works well. I've used it with Mountain House dehydrated food, but those things pack so horribly. They're light weight and reasonably tasty, but they're weird shapes, especially for using a bear canister. Pasta, even things like ramen, might be a good option for me.

Thanks again for the writeup. This is an area I have got to visit.

ButterflyEffect  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Trip Report: Jasper and Banff National Parks, Alberta, CA

And I didn't even drop any of it down a mountain!

WanderingEng  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Or yourself down a mountain! Wins all around!