We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 21, 2017

Yay! Running! Not sure if you have a goal with this, or already aware of Couch to 5k but it's an awesome little running plan if you're looking to get into it and (hopefully) enjoy running while you do!

Dala  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

That is essentially what I am doing.

ButterflyEffect  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 21, 2017

How are you submitting apps? Primarily online or using your network?

Too much coffee and yoga is a good thing, I think. Or at least not a bad thing. Unless you have a caffeine sensitivity. Which reading list are you digging into, there's at least 2 kb reading lists.

OftenBen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

How are you submitting apps? Primarily online or using your network?

Both. I have a goal of at least 5 apps a day online, minimum, and my bosses have their ears open, but their schedules are so full I'm not putting many eggs in that basket.

Too much coffee and yoga is a good thing, I think.

Mostly is good. I'm starting to realize however that caffeine intake of more than 3-4 cups a day sparks my anxiety something bad, which blows because I LOVE coffee.

Which reading list are you digging into, there's at least 2 kb reading lists.

This one

Debating vocabulary and semantics in a report is an exhausting experience.

Nothing quite like a deposition. There are times when it's worth putting in the effort, and times when it's definitely not.

veen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I can work around lazy people and inexperienced people. With resentment, I can get unmotivated people to work. This group had someone in it who couldn't be argued with, which is my kryptonite. If I present a slew of arguments why my proposed idea is better and you can't articulate a single good counter argument, yet you still need to be have it your way? This ain't Burger King, ffs.

Did this thing three days ago. Feels more like three weeks ago. The amount of support and congratulations that came out after this was overwhelming, and it really made me feel like part of a community, spanning across multiples states, time zones, and points of life. There's a feeling of belonging and knowing that you all want to beat each other, but would never hesitate to help each other.

Followed that up with a yoga session Monday night, and had a thought that didn't feel like it was coming from me about forty minutes into the session. Everything will be okay, because it must. It was a similar feeling to a lot of the thoughts that were passing by when I was depressed, a detachment to the thought and a feeling that it wasn't actually coming from me. But there it is.

It's hilarious. I've got three people on my FB feed congratulating themselves for running in that thing and three people on my FB feed griping about why the fuck do we have to shut down I-5 so people can run on it.

Where does your sense of self-worth come from?

I look at self-worth the same way I look at motivation vs. inspiration. It has to come from within to be sustainable. Somebody can inspire (external) you to do something, but if you don't have the motivation (internal) to follow through or maintain, then it's kind of like eating a candy bar. It's good in that exact moment, but long term it doesn't provide sustenance. Self-worth is a similar topic, you can derive self-worth from your relationships with others, but if you aren't determining what your mission is, what you want to get out of the things you do, or even making an effort to try and find out what it is that you like to do, your self-worth will be fleeting. Self-worth drives actions that are lasting and tangible. But a lot of work and exploration is necessary before reaching that point.

ButterflyEffect  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Race Report - Still Not What You Think It Is

Post race bananas are maybe the single greatest thing in the world. There were some really inspiring moments during the race, such as the blind runner being guided by his coach, or the marathoners with their baby strollers, or the 60 year old guy who ran at attention for a full mile as he passed a section of American flags.

The atmosphere is amazing, you're spot-on about that. It's going to be a gradual thing, hopefully hit 8:20 miles, then 8:10, then 8:00. Do you have any races coming up?

WanderingEng  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm doing a charity 5k on Saturday. I'm planning my day to go run another six or so miles afterward to get my miles for the day.

My next big run is August, a half marathon. I did the same run last year and struggled with the humidity. But I also finished that run feeling like I could do a full marathon if I just continued ramping up my training. I'm doing a full in November, so I figure the August run is a good benchmark along the path to the full.

It's the only full I'm signed up for, but I already signed up for two more halfs next year.

When's your next race?

Thanks cgod! Good luck to your wife on the full, has she ran a marathon before? I was thinking about signing up for the half but things like kind of dicey with the permitting situation with that race this year.

cgod  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

She has run the full once and a half once or twice.

The Portland Marathon looks like a fiasco waiting to happen this year and there was a bit of scandal attached to it last year. I think it will go forward but it might be one to leave off the calendar.

Fuck yes, Wegmans is the best. Go to Wegmans. Stop going anywhere else.

bfv  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

If thenewgreen is still mostly in NC, Publix, the only employee-owned supermarket chain in the US I'm aware of, is a decent substitute,

Well, part of it is that we as a country allow companies to do this. There are currently no regulations regarding the term "natural" or "all-natural" for food labels. That said, the FDA is currently requesting comments on this exact topic.

I was listening to Maron interview Bruce Springsteen last night, and a semi related topic was a major point of discussion. They spent a lot of time talking about two types of people:

1. Those who are hard on themselves.

2. Those who beat the shit out of themselves.

I think that a lot of what kleinbl00 brought up are societal conditions pushing people towards (2), where the kind of communities you bring up are people reinforcing their belief that they fall into (2). There is an inherent belief, I think, that things will not get better, that you will not be better, and that you do not deserve to improve when you fall into (2). The other side is people who become too consumed by improvement and grind themselves into a nib, also category (2).

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 14, 2017

I was living alone prior to this. It was awesome. I would like to return to living alone.

I don't need this shit.

Roommate 1: In her 40s. Has 3 cats, two are super cool, one is horrible and I spent a half hour this morning trying to coax it out of my room. Quit her job a couple weeks ago. A family member is moving in. Neither of them have their shit together. Oh and she baby talks her cats all the fucking time. Made a big deal out of making space and consolidating things when I first moved in, yet leaves her shit everywhere. Guess I know what that was about now.

Roommate 2: Extremely passive aggressive. Loud. Generally an unpleasant person.

Which is weird because I met em both through running and they're fine in those groups but, I'm moving out sooner rather than later. Make enough money to not have to deal with this kind of shit.

Make enough money to not have to deal with this kind of shit.

The American dream, ladies and gentlemen.

blackbootz  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've thought about this quote like six times since I first read it Wednesday.

Life is short. Spend it involved in the never ending and often thankless toil for improving the lot of fellow humans? Or noping the fuck out and squeezing life's lemons? That's a false dichotomy, but it predicts a lot of human behavior.

I read yesterday that Rousseau summed up the world as the conflict between "natural man" and "unnatural man", or primal instinct vs civilization, and that history is nothing more than the gyration of this conflict around its equilibrium.

OftenBen  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dude, Beowulf over and over again.

(People think you're smart when you quote Rousseau)

(Either that or breathtakingly pompous)

bfv  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nah, people only think you're pompous if you quote someone hasn't been dead at least 200 years.

Shit. I should stop quoting Claire Wolfe.

lil  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Quoting is cool. Period.

thenewgreen  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Get out! One small regret that I have is that I have never lived alone. I have always had roommates, or a spouse. It would have been nice to have had a year or two in there with just me.

flagamuffin  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

i live alone and i have been traveling way too many times recently and there are so many different combinations of clothing on my floor man. clothes i haven't even seen

i dunno

snoodog  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Major turn off if you bring someone home tho... at least for long term relationship potential. One night stand... once you are there its already probably happening.

flagamuffin  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

my winning personality makes up for that and many other lapses in judgement

lil  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

hmmm, would you pick up your clothes if you had a cohabitee?

flagamuffin  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

yes, but i would also travel a lot less

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

AnSionnachRua  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh and she baby talks her cats all the fucking time.

Insufferable! I've lived with people like that before. The worst thing is that sometimes they'll actually end up using the baby-talk voice on you.

ButterflyEffect  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pond Scum: Henry David Thoreau's Moral Myopia

Rather than accessing Muir's beloved Sierra Mountains as backpackers, skiers or rock climbers, they argue, Californians would benefit more from the creation of urban parks, additional roads and trails in wild lands.

Wait a second do these people not realize it's possible to have both? And also understand the roles of different levels of government in land conservation?

Okay yeah taking your advice and ignoring.

Huh. I've seen a few pieces on Thoreau, but nothing short of reverence for Muir. Have any links?

flagamuffin  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

"environmental justice"

'ware the new age environmentalists who desperately want to build Inclusive Spaces in cities

flagamuffin  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

remember i warned you up there to ignore this

Odder  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·

Man it's like they don't know that a common Republican talking point these days is "Let's sell off the National parks" ...or they don't care.

Yeah you're right I should have ignored this.

ButterflyEffect  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Okay yeah taking your advice and ignoring.

I own BTC, I don’t own ETH (for the time being).