ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 18, 2018

Doesn't it depend on how confident you want to be that your sample response is representing the population? I. E. Alpha = 0.95 vs. Alpha =0.98?

ButterflyEffect  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 18, 2018

Car camping! That way we can really explore the vastness that is those two parts, and see the breadth of it. Even with that, we won't see 1/100th of what's available out there. I am so excited.

Running a half marathon on an island this weekend, and boarding a flight eight hours after that. Going to Arches and Canyonlands and next week. Going to leave my phone off and enjoy some quality time with my partner, and think about life and what all this is about.

WanderingEng  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Are you spending that full week backpacking? It sounds like a great trip.

ButterflyEffect  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Want to become self-compassionate? Run a marathon

I buy it. Running forces you to, at a certain point, care about your physical, mental, and emotional well-being. I don't think that's necessarily going to happen at the 5k or 10k distance, but long distance running certainly can. If you are missing any one of those three categories, the run will not happen or will not go well. Nobody is forcing a person to run except for themselves, it's typically not a team activity, and distance training is largely a solitary activity. It forces you to be comfortable with yourself, or else how can you possibly expect to run 10, 12, 18 miles at a time?

Runners are a tribe, WanderingEng starts to touch on this. There's some friendly competition at the amateur level, but even just seeing another runner while I'm running is exciting. Yesterday, I ran 16 miles, and saw 8 different runners I personally know over the course of the run. It was amazing, and mentally it was amazing knowing "I can do this!". So, yeah, I buy this article.

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 11, 2018

If I do end up there, I will tell him you sent me!

I basically don't live anywhere for the next three months. Planned a very last minute vacation to Arches National Park in two weeks...with a weekend summit of Mount St. Helen's permitted for the following weekend. And maybe work travel to Knoxville in between.

This is fine. I'm living what, to me, is an interesting life with a job that pays enough to sustain it. What more could I ask for.

thenewgreen  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

Knoxville is a nice town. I have a friend that owns a bowling alley there that is in a really neat part of town. His bowling alley is pretty swanky. You should check it out:

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

If I do end up there, I will tell him you sent me!

ButterflyEffect  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: FBI Raids Cohen’s Office

What recourse do you see in the event of a Mueller firing?

mk  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Tough to say in these times. It should fill the streets with protests, but there might just be a cable uproar which passes, and the Dems just use it as 2018 campaign bullshit.

tacocat  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Firing Mueller and ending the investigation are two different things. It's my understanding that he can possibly get away with both but it'll be incredibly hard so he's pretty well fucked. Even if he had the investigation ended then the tight ship that's been run is going to sink by virtue of a million leaks

ButterflyEffect  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: FBI Raids Cohen’s Office

And home.

And hotel room.

ButterflyEffect  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How the internet is clogging up city streets

But muh "disruption"

ButterflyEffect  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 4, 2018

You know me well.

ButterflyEffect  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My first official run [Marathon, or when everything goes terribly wrong]

elizabeth here is the race report.

Well, I also could have said something along the lines of wanting a few days worth of space to think instead of just breaking up.

oyster  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nah, too safe.

ButterflyEffect  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

You know me well.

You finished, and that's what matters. Time comes later. Sounds like a trial by fire for the race itself!!! I'm equally as surprised by the food situation but am also a bit spoiled by having "aid stations as expected".

Well, dammit.

I'm glad you're doing well.

ButterflyEffect  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Instagram's virtual celebrities

If Social Media Influencers don't age then why do they need Forever Labs?

strokes chin

mk  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

I immediately want to see virtual followers that are super excited.

"Miquela, you inspire me to tell all my friends about the inspiration you give me! I'm still learning and still being shaped by my surroundings!" <3