ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  10 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything You Know About Obesity is Wrong

Athletes who need high caloric foods are able to do so just fine without stuffing their bodies with junk food that’s low in nutrition (source: anecdotal from my personal experiences and all my friends and acquaintances who are ultra runners, Ironman athletes, kayakers, etc etc.)

Second, that’s such a small portion of the population that it’s no reason not to tax food that is objectively mediocre for a person.

ButterflyEffect  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 17, 2018

Work

Turns out I'm going to Atlanta on Sunday for a work conference. Very excited over that, travelling is fun even if it makes me feel a little dissociated from myself. Some of that, I think, is caused by my travel mostly being almost always last minute. At least for work travel. Performance reviews are coming up, I expect they will be positive for me.

Not Work

Ankle is doing okay, it's kind of plateaued with the swelling. Went climbing last night and got about 30 minutes in before it started to swell up, and called it good at that. Daily strength and mobility exercises, but I expect ~8 months before full healing and return to previous state strength. At least I'm back to active recovery but holy fuck is it frustrating.

Also Not Work

Single again and thinking I'm going to stay this way for a while. I'm not a great partner, well, I start off as one and then slowly lose passion or interest in the relationship and discard it. That's kind of where I'm at, though there are many other reasons. Haven't felt love for a person in almost five years, that's probably worth exploring further. What does it take for me to love another person.

flagamuffin  ·  16 hours ago  ·  link  ·

this happened to me like four or six times and eventually i just gave up

ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Huge reduction in meat-eating ‘essential’ to avoid climate breakdown

USDA data reveals that for more than a decade, U.S. farm gate prices for milk fail to cover costs of production.”

Based solely on the USDA’s national average farm-gate price and national average costs of production, Clark says American dairy farmers lost money every year from 2005 to 2016.

This seems incredibly complex though, when you start to consider things like margin protections and exporting, right? How do you reduce subsidies without financially wrecking dairy farmers, and without causing an upheaval to the dairy customs of the average consumer? (Which is kind of the point in the long run...)

It is incredibly complex. It's an aspect of our ostensibly-capitalist, occasionally-socialist economy. You don't move away from that overnight, for sure.

I try to limit my beef to once a week. It ain't hard. It encourages you to eat better beef. Better beef costs more and is more profitable. Everybody wins. Talk America into eating less, better beef and we all end up happy.

Theoretically the dairy industry earned $104b in revenue in 2014.  If we are to believe the Canucks, the taxpayer underwrote $70b of that.  The "Got Milk?" campaign cost $23m a year... imagine what even a billion a year in outreach to oh, I dunno, every other less impactful agricultural product in the US might do?
Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

We've cut down on the meat too. I'll make one beef meal a week as well, usually lasts two nights so that's all good - but I've made some more vegetarian dishes as a result of cutting it back, which is always nice. Increasing my skill in the kitchen and reducing the beef consumption.

It's impressive how quickly those changes can become normal; we use reusable bags for groceries, recycle everything we can at the local recycling unit down the road, eating less meat, I walk to work now and my car only gets used when I'm heading out of town.

johnnyFive  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

We've been on a mostly-poultry diet for years, with some pork. Red meat of any kind is a few-times-a-year thing. I'd do more fish but my wife doesn't like it :/ Meanwhile, I'm yet to find a vegetarian meal that doesn't cause a blood sugar crash a couple hours later.

Do they not do pick-up recycling where you are? We have a trashcan-sized bin that we wheel to the curb every two weeks.

Foveaux  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Unfortunately no, I'm in the centre of town and so they don't do recycling pick-up - they do in the suburbs though. Thankfully there's a station about 400m down the road so I just cart everything down there once a week!

johnnyFive  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·

That's not bad then. Still, I'm surprised, as I feel like that's something big cities do here too (although I've never lived in one, so can't confirm that).

ButterflyEffect  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 10, 2018

Everything is trending "up" except for my ankle at the moment, and even that is slowly improving as I keep off of running.

The pluses:

1. Just saved between $200k and $250k on one of my work projects.

2. Signed up for a night class that will get me a great certification, and no cost to myself.

3. Continuing to power-of-will a nonprofit through some very hard times, and attempt to rebuild the board and restructure the organization.

4. Photography is really, really fun!

5. Have some super-fun events coming up with friends. Seeing Free Solo this Friday, and will get to meet Alex Honnold and Jimmy Chin!!! These guys are so inspirational to me.

Some minuses:

1. My body is still not doing great. The rest has been amazing for all the minor bumps, bruises, and aches, but my ankle is still a problem.

2. Probably ending yet another relationship. Finding that a partner who has ambition and confidence in herself is extremely important to me, but maybe not as important as having a passion (or multiple). Doesn't even have to be the same as mine! But have something that you're passionate about, that keeps you going, that's a driving force.

WanderingEng  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I can't decide if my leg/knee is getting worse again or if the little twinges and aches are formerly weak muscles getting stronger. It's my own little frustration.

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: More than One in Four Home-Sellers Dropped their Price Last Month

2010...jesus. So, is this a correlation =/= causation situation regarding interest rate increases and decreases in home listing prices?

...

Most of the hard-core, die-hard financial talking heads will point out that the one predictable characteristic of any trend is reversion to the mean. Basically, if the economy is up, it will go down. Of course when they say it they use graphs and charts and coefficients and sound hella smart and charge you $1500/mo for their newsletter but fundamentally, the argument is the sun also sets.

Now you could argue that if the market continues to go up it's a sign that we didn't really know what the mean was and people do. But check this out:

You may have heard the phrase "quantitative easing." You might have even heard the acronyms "QE2" and "QE3." That was the Bernancke fed basically buying everything in sight so that the economy had money. You can see the effects of "buying everything in sight" on this graph between 2008 and 2014. In effect, the US government became the customer of anything and everything for sale because if nobody's buying, nobody's selling and we descend into a mire of bread lines and Woody Guthrie songs.

If you look at that graph you notice that things are optimistically tapering off into the future. This is the Fed announcing that the problem is solved, time to sell that shit back into the market. This implies that they think the market is strong enough to buy up three trillion dollars worth of assets. Only hang on.

See those four squares? That's the Fed telegraphing "OH SWEET HOLY SHIT WE'D LIKE TO RAISE INTEREST RATES PLEASE." They do this because when the rates are at rock-bottom, they can't lower them. And if they can't lower them, they can't attract business by making money crazy cheap.

And money has been crazy cheap. Want your stock to be expensive? Borrow cheap money and buy it back. now there are fewer shares and people have to pay more for them.

So fundamentally, the government poured money into the economy to keep it running. It's sort of running now. But the government would (A) like interest rates to be back to normal (B) not own a large portion of the economy so it's tightening things. We've got a new Fed chairman - Jerome Powell - who has said that recessions are a normal part of the business cycle. They're basically telegraphing "hold onto your butts."

But then, they did the exact same thing in 1929.

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fashion faux pas as microplastics are traced to synthetic textiles

Oh MAN is this a good time to plug a company I've been interested in or what!? 512 Apparel. Using coffee grounds in their textiles. And recycled windshields in other gear. Wish I had a full understanding of everything they use, though.

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This should be a column by Jamal Khashoggi

Now's maybe a time where not gutting the state department would have been a good idea...horrific incident...

More shocking to me is how many people are in the crowd watching Fred Durst do whatever he does.

ButterflyEffect  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 3, 2018

Life in Flux. Thinking of taking a twice a week night class for Jan-Apr to get my Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certification, as paid for by my employer. It would definitely be a hit to my social life, but could be a great professional move and is continued learning, which I'm all about.

Meanwhile, I reinjured my ankle during an amazing hike/trail run and am now off running and climbing for at least 21 days. I've decided not to drink until I can comfortably trail run, so it might be a while. I told my girlfriend this, who's immediate reaction was...not what I was hoping for (thinking it's me punishing myself, not understanding why I'm making this decision)...sometimes I don't feel like I'm getting the kind of support I want/need.

WanderingEng  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm a casual drinker, but the social pressure to drink versus not drink really bugs me. Deciding to not drink for a night or a month or a lifetime should be no more notable than getting chips instead of fries with a cheeseburger. It's just one little minor thing.

ButterflyEffect  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge Ideas

It's part of the Central Cascades range in Washington state.

ButterflyEffect  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge Ideas

Melted glaciers and changing trees.

oyster  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fall is seriously my favourite time in the mountains, we’ve skipped quickly to winter here but I love the trees changing when there’s a little snow on the mountain tops.

moslydeaf  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Killer, where was this?

ButterflyEffect  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's part of the Central Cascades range in Washington state.

ButterflyEffect  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Friday Fun (Fake?) Facts

Pretty sure it's the Western States Endurance Run.

ButterflyEffect  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The 17 Most Striking Moments From the Kavanaugh Hearing

Ah, I'm sorry, I did not get that out of your original comment, hence my response. I agree with you on the kids, they are collateral damage in a man's pursuit of...whatever it is he's ultimately after. Power, I guess.

thenewgreen  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

His wife is collateral damage too. It's very likely that she has no idea that he was (may still be) a sexual predator. Did you see the look on her face at the hearing? Wow.

Quite the image:

Because none of this needed to happen. If he did what is claimed, don't lie about it, and even better, don't assault a woman in the first place. That's why.

thenewgreen  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

To be clear, I don't care about Kavanaugh's pain. But I feel heartbroken for his family. His kids are forever the children of Brett Kavenaugh. That's a scarlet letter. You are right though, it didn't have to happen. While I am sure he will forever point the finger to the left, he should point the finger at himself. His family are also victims of his.

On a separate note. I find it very hard to believe that someone with this much animosity towards the democrats could ever be an impartial judge. Even if some exonerating evidence was presented showing that someone else was the assailant, he would be unfit for the position based on his behavior yesterday.

I think the point I was poorly making in my original comment is that I am not a fan of the social media circus surrounding this. This is such a shitty event that it doesn't require bombast.

ButterflyEffect  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

thenewgreen  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Quite the image:

Again, I think she’s telling the truth and I even think that it’s likely he is knowingly lying. But his tears were real and had to do with the pain his actions are having on his family and people he cares about. Not beer.

And you know what, if you think she's telling the truth, and you think he's knowingly lying, then I DON'T CARE ABOUT HIS PAIN AND EFFECTS ON HIS FAMILY. He has, if this is true, caused long-term damage to a woman (probably more than one) - and his succession to the court, if it happens, and if this is true, speaks volumes on our societies valuation of women as a whole. He can, and should, suffer. There are ways to act, and his methods are those of a sociopath and that's me being generous.

thenewgreen  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

I DON'T CARE ABOUT HIS PAIN AND EFFECTS ON HIS FAMILY
I do. Why? Cause his family had nothing to do with this and I'm not a sociopath.

My point is that this is all VERY sad and should be treated as such, not as some spectator, let's see who can come up with the best meme/joke event. He didn't cry about beer. This sucks. On so many levels.

ButterflyEffect  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·